Haywood & Arenas discuss Tiger Woods, blogging

Gilbert Arenas, once the Washington Wizards' most famous blogger, retired before this season began -- although he considering a comeback to the written word via 140 characters on Twitter (if he can get a million or so followers). In his absence, Brendan Haywood and Caron Butler have both decided to fill the void, but Haywood has provided some especially provocative material with his blog on Yardbarker.com.

He got caught up in a minor controversy this summer with an entry questioning the sexuality of former NBA star Stephon Marbury after Marbury posted a series of bizarre videos on the Internet. Haywood later issued an apology. Following an earler post about suspended NFL receiver Donté Stallworth, Haywood was told by the team to tone it down some.

Now, Haywood again has people talking with his latest blog entry, "Buy Me Love," in which he offers his take on the Tiger Woods scandal and makes some choice comments about Woods' wife, Elin Nordegren. Among the highlights:

"After hearing of Tiger's extramarital affairs, her first move wasn't to go to her family for help; she went straight to the bank!"
"I know Elin was probably deeply hurt by Tiger's actions but Tiger's wallet isn't the way to restore things in the Woods' household! Another fact lost in all of this is that these affairs wouldn't have even come to light if Elin hadn't gotten all Jazmine Sullivan on Tiger and "busted the windows out his car!" This could've been settled nice and quietly behind closed doors. All I'm saying is that Elin better be glad she's married to Tiger Woods instead of Chris Brown or this whole story could've been reported differently!"
"Now Yard, I ain't saying she's a gold digger, but she ain't messing with no broke..."

Haywood's blog entry has already received almost 250 comments -- almost 10 times his normal feedback. After practice on Tuesday, Haywood said he enjoys the interaction with the fans.

"It's interesting. I think some people obviously might not like it, some people might like it. It's a different point of view. I think a lot of people are bashing people out there, and he's done his thing, but I try to look at both sides. I know I put something out there that might not be that popular, but that's because a lot of people are thinking it. I'm not the only one.
"I like blogging. I like reading and what people say when you like my point of view, when you don't like what you say. I like reading people's different points of view. I write my own blogs, I read all the comments, I respond back to many of them. You can only practice basketball so much. You've got to do a little something else."

He added that being a professional athlete provides him with a different perspective than most; one that he isn't afraid to share. "Being a pro athlete it's definitely in 2009. It's way different than what it was in 1999 because now you can take a photo with some one and put it on Facebook or Twitter. It's on everything. Things are so much different," he said. "Michael Wilbon told us yesterday 'Anyone with a camera phone is now media.' Anything you do, you've got text message, email, everything can be used to help you, it can be used against you. The game is different now. So when you're on the professional level, you've really got to watch your back."

Arenas hasn't written a blog entry for NBA.com in more than a year and said that the negative feedback from his posts pushed him away from that form of communication. Haywood has always been outspoken and hopes to pursue a career in broadcasting once his career is finished. Given Haywood's personality, Arenas said "he's going to get in trouble."

"Brendan knows how to make comments funnier than what they should be. I heard him when he talked about Marbury and got killed for it. But it's just making your opinion," Arenas said. "And this is what I tell people when they ask me about blogging. At the end of the day, the person who's blogging is basically media, too. So the comments you make is the same thing people be thinking anyway. It's not like I said something out of the blue. If I'm talking about contracts, you're saying the same thing media's saying, but since it comes out your mouth it's like something big, like, 'Oh he's not supposed to be saying anything like that.' "

Arenas said he hadn't read Haywood's blog entry about Woods, but he offered his own take on the situation. "Man, I don't know why everybody's sitting around here like it's something new. Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods! It's not like he looks like Seal. It's not like he's not going to have a whole bunch of women. He's Tiger Woods! I'm surprised 400 girls didn't come out. It's Tiger Woods y'all. It's Tiger Woods man. Did you think no women were going to come out? I was expecting at least 25 by the end of this week."

By Michael Lee  |  December 9, 2009; 3:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vote for the best of the decade
Next: Morning brew

Comments

"Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods! It's not like he looks like Seal."

Seal did alright for himself.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 9, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

And so did Shaq!

Posted by: Blurred | December 9, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Just my opinion but any chance you can spare us this garbage and stick to basketball? You're just asking for trouble.
Athlete's sex lives and that includes the tassle-cleated, argyle socked, plaid panted, little dimpled-balls-set, are hardly relevant material for Wizard's Insider let alone the depressingly banal second hand opinions of other athletes on Tiger Wood's chip shots.
How about something on MM's status. Is he practicing? Probable return date?

Posted by: midlevex | December 9, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

BTH-

I'm glad to see that he's moved on to a nice hobby since he's mastered bball. i'd be a lot more interested in his blog if it covered how many FTs he shot after practice. what a response. "you can only practice so much...." f'ing ridiculous

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 9, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind this.
Hearing about Tiger from BH & GA is interesting and you probbly won't hear it anywhere else. But your right Some "INSIDER" info on Wizzies players would be a nice early Christmas gift.

Posted by: VBFan | December 9, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

After reading Haywood's comments about Tiger and Tiger's wife, I'm surprised that it was Andray Blatche and not Brendan Haywood caught in the police prostitution dragnet a couple years ago.

Posted by: JPRS | December 9, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

preach it lilhollywood!

Posted by: divi3 | December 9, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

i don't care how BTH feels about Tiger, how does he feel about his abysmal FT shooting?Blog about that you stiff.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 9, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

maye we should get on his blog and remind him it took 6yrs of "can only practice so much" for him to stop bringing the ball to his knees after every rebound

Posted by: divi3 | December 9, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, now he only does it after every other one. That's progress.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 9, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow...I'm surprised that Chris Brown comment didn't get killed.

Sure.

I would like to hear about Mike Miller though. Last thing I heard he was shooting 3's at pratices...but I haven't heard much.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 9, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

quick mike lee, put out a new thread everyone's getting along. maybe we all should check out BTH's blog and fire him up, remind him how Etan beat his a$$ while reciting Jonh Milton.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 9, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

i agree SD i wanna know about the shoulder and the calf.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 9, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

btw does he really "tackle" their homosexuality? *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 9, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"Wow...I'm surprised that Chris Brown comment didn't get killed.

Gil got ripped for his blog...but Haywood tackles other NBA players homosexuality and it's called being outspoken?????"

Haywood's entire rant was ridiculous nonsense, but the lack of reaction to it is likely a by-product of the fact that half the people here are so far up his backside that they'll swallow anything he says while the other half think he's so marginally meaningful that they don't care what he says.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 9, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

LMAO....

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 9, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Funny how some people reacts everytime Brendan Haywood opens his mouth but you don't hear a single word from them when their all-world center Ethan Thomas' writes useless things. Such hypocrisy!

Posted by: Dave381 | December 9, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Funny how some people are so benighted and blinded by their irrational biases that they equate Thomas' generally thoughtful (albeit blunt and controversial) observations on race and class with Haywood accusing Tiger Woods' wronged wife of being a money-grubbin' ho. Such idiocy!

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 9, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I think he meant to say "you can only practice basketball so much to get to be a 60% FT shooter..."

Posted by: peej9999 | December 9, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Funny how some people see the dirt on people but fail to see their own....Such a phony!

Posted by: Dave381 | December 9, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

And Haywood continues to be classless and seemingly racist in an underlying way.... He's as bad as Durant

Well, at least there is SOMETHING about the Wizards worth talking about.

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | December 9, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see anything racist in it...but to each his own.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 9, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see anything racist in it...but to each his own.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 9, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I never thought Brendan was the brightest bulb in the chandelier...

Posted by: Samson151 | December 9, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

BTH does not know what happened with negotiations between Cheatah and Elin.

If Cheatah didn't want to pay his wife anything, he didn't have to.

Cheatah is paying because it benefits him.

If Cheatah didn't cheat, this blog topic wouldn't even exist.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 9, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 9, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

So I was wrong.

Posted by: midlevex | December 9, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 9, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

The sad part is he has MAJOR flaws in his game that probably can't be corrected:

bad hands
poor FT shooter
mechanical and unorthodox release point
unathletic

Of course he does protect the rim well so some GM is gonna bite.

The Wiz would get more bang for their buck going with McGee next season anyhow...

Posted by: elfreako | December 9, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

bad hands
poor FT shooter
mechanical and unorthodox release point
unathletic

Of course he does protect the rim well so some GM is gonna bite.

Posted by: elfreako | December 9, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse "

If ET can get $40 mil from EG for doing nothing, expect BTH to get more than that...easily.

BTH is easily Les BouleS best physical presence in the paint on the team.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 9, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Portis = Gilby

Overpaid, and ready to call it a career.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 9, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 9, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Portis = Gilby

Let me think. No. One star is descending and the other one is ascending.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

No wonder this team always losses?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 10, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

"I think it's going to take a little time," Grunfeld said. It's going to take time and a comfort level with everything that we're trying to do."

you are 7-12...how much more time and how many more games are you willing to lose before you are at a "comfort level"? Some of the things that come out of the mouths of these executives is why bloggers like myself think we could do a better job! EG be careful...if I remember correctly...the same words were being spoken by that other pro franchise (redskins) at the beginning of their season...don't follow "the yellow brick road" EG...

Posted by: ronniecope106 | December 10, 2009 1:56 AM | Report abuse

It's now official: Brendan Haywood is stupid. And he better be thankful if a woman wants him for his money because otherwise no woman on the planet would want to spend time with a 7 foot clown.

Posted by: TeamPlayer1 | December 10, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

I fail to see how trading James for Richardson, when they don't have enough minutes for the SGs they've already got would do anything to help the Wiz.

"I have a feeling that injuries to Yao, Oden and eventually Bynum might drive up BTH's asking price next summer."

That was then, this is now. Nobody's going to pony up big money for an offensively inept 30 year old C whose bad-to-good years ratio tilts decidedly in the wrong direction. There will certainly be interest, but nobody is getting into a bidding war over Haywood.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 10, 2009 2:25 AM | Report abuse

BTH should get a lot of offseason attention. Low miles, good defense, legit 7 feet, good rebounder (this year at least). I really dont care what he blogs about as long as he plays decent ball...same for Gil.

But I dont see the big deal with his observations. Elin DID start talking money (according to the rags). There may be some truth in what he says.
As far as Gil's comments, I actually thought the same thing when I heard about Tiger. I honestly believe that EVERY famous professional athlete has strayed at some point. These guys have supermodels throwing themselves at them on a daily basis. I'm not condoning it but it's a reality. Like Gil, I'm surprised more haven't come out.

I'm also surprised at the quality of the one woman I saw. He cheated on a 10 with a 7. He laid up rather than shooting for the pin. Quite un-Tiger like.

Posted by: original_mark | December 10, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Well, it's official, Haywood is an idiot. I can't begin to understand the depth of his ignorance. Yeah, the only people thinking what he's thinking are barely eligible for the death penalty. But who cares how stupid he is. I just wonder what the heck he's thinking when he takes that deep knee bend before he clanks one off the side of the rim from 15 feet and when he spins away from the basket to throw up a turn around, fadeaway jump shot. Idiot.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | December 10, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"Portis = Gilby
Overpaid, and ready to call it a career."

Wow, that really is a scary thought.

Portis is an a$$ though. At least Arenas can "speak" proper grammar.

Gil's biggest problem is he should really be playing the 2 guard, that's it. When he just "plays" he's still the old Gil. You can see he's thinking when he brings the ball up the court now, nothing he's doing is "natural."

Maybe this will change, but I think Gil plays his best ball right now when Boykins is playing the 1 and all Gil has to do is shoot.

As far as Haywood, well, remember one thing: professional athletes have gold diggers/groupies constantly hounding them. While he was trying to make light of it, I'm sure he's not the only athlete who said what he wrote on his blog.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 10, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I read the entire BH blog and it dosen't come off like the excerts above.

If you've been checking the info on the Tiger story you will find that BH's opinion is a real good one.

I had heard that same slant on a radio show and this guys opinion went further than BH's gold digger slant.

To accuse BH of being stupid, huh, you just don't get it.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking at where we are, and I think we're gonna be ok. Our first 9 games, we finished 2-7. In the last 10 we are 5 and 5. When the team started off struggling, I figured we would be good to go by the all-star break. I still think that. I'm still jazzed about this season. I think it's gonna be magical.

Posted by: Matte | December 10, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

i feel you CAROLINA Larry, BTH can't be stupid he got into UNC right?????

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 10, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Tiger was hittin youngins that worked at IHOP????????????????Lied in a trailer park???????? I'm not really even that partial to the blondie, blue eye youngins, but Elin is super bad. You can't be creepin on her with the manager of the local IHOP. C'mon Son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 10, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

And we just talkin looks. However, it has been one man's opinion that if Elin were really a 10, the Tiger wouldn't have been such a skirt chaser.

Theory is that something went really wrong a long time ago between them for him to totally womanize the way he's been accused of.

By the way it's been said that Tiger should get as far away as he can from Elin and her family. It's said that there is drama there like you wouldn't believe.

Haywood says 90 million payoff to divorce the clan, this guy says that 500 million is worth it to drop that bunch.

Wow!!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 10, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Who cares about an arrogant closet sex-addict who denies his ethnicity("i'm not black i'm calabinaisan",WHAT?)whose father is as dark as a hershey bar and who married the whitest white women he could find, correction that he was intoduced to(a model NO! she was a nanny cleaning baby poop!)He basically told the NAACP to shove it when they asked him not play in a tournament in South Carolina because the state still flew(at that time) the confederate flag yeah a real stand up guy(be like mike, jordan that is)refused to help struggling black golfers on the lower pga backed tours(well documented on espn's outside the lines)trust me karma works, he's getting his in large measure's and it couldn't happen to a more deserving piece of sh#t.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 10, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't see the problem with Brendan Haywood's outspoken blog (or any of Etan's political positions either). He's got a blog, but so does every Tom, Dick and Harriet.

How about all us trench diggers can't post our opinions about professional basketball players?

It's entertainment folks, if you don't agree you have the freedom to say so. But you can't attack his right to publish his opinions or what he blogs about.

Posted by: rickgonz | December 10, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"I see the consensus is that Elin is a 10. I don't necessarily agree with that. She is pretty, but a 10, humm, six maybe."

She looked super hot before she had two kids. Look her up before she had any then look at her now. I feel bad for women, having kids literally sucks the life of them.

As far as anything else "pre-nups" are so useless, especially if you have kids. They might stay together for appearences, but that's not going to last for long.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 10, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Elin is super bad Larry. If she's a six, i gotta hang with u and see the tail u pull b/c i've seen some pics of her that get tha blood flowing.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 10, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Gil, you cant talk about my favorite singer, or close to favorite, Seal! And he's cool too (check him out back when he had the dreads, sexy). (yes, i'm a female)

Posted by: washwiz | December 10, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Too bad that Gilbert and Brendan can't transfer their Celebrity News knowledge to the basketball court.

Maybe we'd win half of our games.

Posted by: musicmanjr | December 10, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse