Mike James set to practice Monday, wants to play

Mike James walked off the practice court on Saturday and before heading into the locker room, James playfully started serving up light jabs to the wall with his hands. He showed no concern for his surgically repaired left hand and later said that he has been cleared to begin practicing on Monday.

Shortly after James spoke, Javaris Crittenton (left foot) emerged from the practice court and said he could be a week away from participating in full-contact practices. And, it should be noted that Mike Miller (right calf) was coolly knocking down three-pointers after practice, which could signal his possible return in a few weeks. That should serve as good news for the Wizards, but it may actually be just another potential headache for Coach Flip Saunders as he attempts to provide playing time for a crowded back court with eight guards.

I still got it, man. (Photo by Ron Turenne/NBAE via Getty Images)

James received five DNP-CDs before making his only appearance on Nov. 6 in Indiana, where he had six points and three assists. He broke his left ring finger the next day in practice, had surgery two days later and now faces an even larger uphill battle for playing time.

"I mean, it's disappointing, discouraging to be in this situation after all the work I've put myself through," James said. "But you know some things you just don't have control over. This time [away] got me an opportunity to really work on things that I needed to work on, also my mental. And I'm ready to play ball now. I'm ready to be on the court playing."

Four days after James's injury, the Wizards signed Earl Boykins and his recent emergence as a clutch fourth-quarter performer already has already reduced the playing time for Randy Foye and DeShawn Stevenson. Miller is fine whenever he comes back, but that will also raise some questions about Nick Young's role in the rotation. So, where does that leave James and Crittenton?

James wants to play but he is unsure if that opportunity is going to come with the Wizards, who acquired him and Crittenton in a three-deal deal with Memphis and New Orleans last Dec. 10. James is earning $6.5 million this season in the last year of his contract and multiple league sources have confirmed that he was very available last summer. Another person with knowledge of the Wizards' plans said that the team would like to move James's expiring contract before the February trade deadline.

James said that it is difficult not playing and being in the final year of his contract. "Especially when I do believe I've earned myself playing time and never really had a chance to even get on the court," James said. "But at the end of the day, I'm not the coach. I'm not the GM. All that I am is the player. It's going to get better. I do believe that. It can't get no worse."

On the night of the NBA draft, Ernie Grunfeld joked about selecting guard Jermaine Taylor in the second round after earlier making a trade for Foye and Miller. "I like guards," he said. "The more the better."

Grunfeld later dealt Taylor to Houston for a cool $2.5 million, but with the Wizards almost a quarter into their season, they will likely have to make some sort of move -- even if Grunfeld really does love guards.

Does James expect to get traded? "Who knows? Who knows? I don't know what my future has ahead of me. All I can do is prepare for today, prepare for the best, prepare for the worst," James said. "The best could be being here and something happening and I'm playing well and I'm here. The worst could be, I get traded. Whatever lies in my future, that's out of my control. All I can control is staying ready for whatever is next, knowing this ain't the end of it."

James believes that part of the problem he faces is that he's 34, an age when players usually are retiring or start seeing a dramatic decline in production. "I feel good. Body feels good. A person may focus on my age, but don't focus on my age," he said. "Focus on what I'm capable of still doing on the basketball court. Focus on the fact that I still have the best weight and body fat on the team and I still look, I still have a young game, and a young mentality. Even though my age says one thing, that doesn't mean my mind is on the same page.

"So because of that, all I know is that one person's trash is another person's treasure," he said. "So I'm not discouraged. I'm still preparing myself. I'm still one of the first ones in the gym and one of the last ones to leave because I still believe there is going to be a chance for me, an opportunity for the things I believe I know I'm capable of still doing. Someone is going to believe those same things are in me."

This could get interesting.

By Michael Lee  |  December 5, 2009; 6:56 PM ET
 | Tags: Washington Wizards; NBA; Mike James; Earl Boykins; Mike Miller; Javaris Crittenton; DeShawn Stevenson; Flip Saunders
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Raptors 109, Wizards 107
Next: The Other Side: Detroit Pistons

Comments

Looks like Mike James will not be in Washington come March 1. Deshawn might be with him! Dec 15th cant come quick enough!

Posted by: rf2litenva | December 5, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

It'll be interesting to see how/if trades shake out since the Wiz currently are in limbo with the looming ownership change.
The guy whose return I want to hear about is Crit as he may be part of the puzzle moving forward. As for Mike James, his days are numbered in a Wiz uniform. There's just no minutes for him here.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 5, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Too many MCs/
Not enough mics!
-- Praz (from the 'Fugees)

Something's gotta give. EG is gonna have to make a deal?

Posted by: MEssex | December 5, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Crittenton and James are both expendable. Crittenton never showed much; no jump shot. James is over-the-hill. I'd like to see Foye get back into the rotation. He started the season strong but hasn't been the same since the injury.

Posted by: garg8050 | December 5, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, Mike Miller can get minutes at the 3. Grunfeld allegedly would have loved to send DeShawn to Minnesota in last year's swap, but they wanted Songaila. Mike James is a guy with limited value and it may be difficult to find a fair trade.

We all knew going into the season that Flip had too many players. But in the modern NBA it's just hard to get rid of them.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 5, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

If you can't trade him (James), cut him. I think so little of him that I'd do just that.

Posted by: terpwiz | December 5, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

...is Butler still untouchable? Package CB with MJ's contract and EB might be able to get a high quality big man.

Posted by: oddjob2 | December 5, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

There will be demand for a Mike James trade....teams want his 6.5 mil to write off the books for the upcoming free agent season.

Given that, when Mike James moves, it'll be another classic SNAFU on EG's part.

First he lets Roger Mason walk.

Then, I believe, they signed Dixon and also signed Dee Brown.

Dee Brown gets chopped early for Mike James...yes, all $6.5 mil of him.

Now, they'll get rid of him too.

A long list of EG free agent signing and drafting SNAFUS.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 5, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oddjob2 | December 5, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________And what team out there is willing to trade its quality big man??

Posted by: Utilityman1 | December 5, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

With the way Flip has been coaching I wouldn't be surprised to see James starting soon?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 5, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Besides Mike James, you could look at Crit and say he is the most expendable.

Of all the guards on the Team Javaris Crit is the only one that is a pure point guard. He has the size and the ability to solidify the point guard role.

I cannot foresee with all that we have seen so far with this Team that Javaris would not be given a serious chance to eliminate the weakness of the point guard role.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 5, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

This blog is maddening sometimes, when we get past Michael Lee's informative posts.

Let's remember that Miller and Foye can walk at the end of this year, although the Wiz have a chance to match whatever offer Foye gets. So let's think about tomorrow too, even as we try to get this team over the hump and deep into the playoffs. Grunfeld is a pretty smart guy -- when he was on the court and now that he's in the corporate suite -- and I'm happy to rely on his basketball chops instead of whiners like '88 and '78.

Can we still be a competitive playoff team? Oh yeah, if everybody keeps working hard and plays within the system, is patient and smart. There's tremendous talent here, and the schedule is turning in our favor at the beginning of the year. The biggest problem is keeping everybody's head in the game, and getting them ready to play from the get-go.

Could we use another big man? Sure, and if we can parley MJ's contract and another player for someone like Varejao or Noah or even Boozer, we could help ourselves. But we can succeed with the team we have, playing like a team.

There's a real lack of team consciousness among some of you so-called fans. It's really not about you.

Posted by: zinger1 | December 5, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Given that, when Mike James moves, it'll be another classic SNAFU on EG's part.

First he lets Roger Mason walk.

Then, I believe, they signed Dixon and also signed Dee Brown.

Dee Brown gets chopped early for Mike James...yes, all $6.5 mil of him.

Now, they'll get rid of him too.

A long list of EG free agent signing and drafting SNAFUS.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 5, 2009 10:06 PM

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 5, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Greg Oden just cannot catch a break (no pun intended). Dude's left knee did not look good at all after he jumped up to attempt to block a shot tonight and lay crumpled on the floor. He had to be carted off the court. I really feel bad the kid.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 5, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"I would be interested on your take as to how Ernie Grunfield rates compared to the rest of the GM's in the League.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 5, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse "

I do not care how he rates against other GMs....the bottom line is that he has not produced beyond 1st round one and done since he's been here after letting LH walk and then with his attempt at a mulligan.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 5, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

"Old '88 and old '78 are still talking trash about the GM and coach, and they'll be back to kicking around the owner once it's clear who that is, and yet they haven't shown any real sense about how to run a team, unless we want to run it into the ground.

Posted by: zinger1 | December 5, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse "

Correct your statement.

I'm talking about a team that is trash because you are as you play...not talking trash.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 5, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Fractured left kneecap for Oden. Likely out for the season.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 5, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

James actually has good trade value. His expiring deal is going to be attractive to other teams with the free agent crop coming up. But he has equal value to Washington as an expiring. Brenden needs to be re-signed and we're already carrying a heavy cap load. This is going to be an interesting offseason with Leonsis in charge. He can really make a stamp as an owner early in his tenure. If the Wiz don't run deep into the playoffs it makes sense for him to start moving some piece. Remember, Caron and Antawn were Abe's favorites, Leonsis has no ties to them like Abe had.

But let's think positive - deep playoff run, maybe a 'ship and then in the offseason all Leonsis has to do is decide on Brenden and bring back the Bullets unis and logo.

Posted by: bullets | December 5, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, the question is whether Leonsis is going to keep EG or hire someone else.

WRT Oden, I made the call during the draft that Portland should have gone for KD vice Oden.

Oden was reported to have an issue with his legs where one leg is actually about 1.5" shorter than the other. That's a condition that's going to cause issues throughout his career.

I think he was often injured and winded when he played for OSU. In fact, even Hibbert looks to have been a better choice over Oden.

Portland should have a pulled a Ricky Williams-Edgerrin James surprise on draft day.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 5, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Portland drafted Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan and Greg Oden over Kevin Durant.
Seems like they're chasing the ghost of Bill Walton.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 6, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

"However, if you look at the team for what it really needs, you have to come to the conclusion that the Team really needs point guard."

No, actually, I don't have to come to that conclusion. In fact, I have looked at the team and I've concluded that what it really needs is what it's needed for most of the past decade: A low post offensive presence to open up the floor for all of the jumpshooters. They need that a lot more than they need a PG because, by my count, while they may not have a classic "pure" PG, they have (when healthy) at least 6 guys on the roster who can do a reasonable impression of a PG. A close examination reveals not a single player capable of convincingly imitating a low post inside scoring big man (their best post players aren't really big and none of their bigs are really low post players).

"James actually has good trade value. His expiring deal is going to be attractive to other teams with the free agent crop coming up."

Sure it will. The issue is whether they'll be willing to give up anything the Wizards really need/want.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 6, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Javaris Crittenton (left foot) emerged from the practice court and said he "could" be a week away from participating in full-contact practices. And, it should be noted that Mike Miller (right calf) was coolly knocking down three-pointers after practice, which "could" signal his possible return in a few weeks.

The most important word is "could"?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 6, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Michael Lee's informative posts.

zinger1

Are you kidding me?

Which Wizards guard is most expendable?

Why wasn't Gil's name on the list?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 6, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Mike James was an even trade for another older point guard with less offensive credentials (can't remember his name, Daniels maybe) and a broken body in the year with no Gil. He was not the kind of trade that was going to change the team only to help it, a little bit, which you could argue he has done. Now he is trade fodder with a similar salary to Andre Miller...

We have two very creative offensive post threats in AJ and AB. Neither are traditional beasts, but both have great up and unders, both score in the paint when the ball is delivered there. Brendan is showing some skill in the paint when he gets the ball. There is only one shaq and he is old. It would have been great to have someone like that on the team, but every team feels that way. We need someone to fight with Boykins for point minutes, Gil is a two and should get all of the minutes he wants, Butler and Miller need to fight for minutes, AB and AJ the same. We have beef and energy in Oberto and McG to spell Brendan. We are the real deal. We might need to sweeten the deal with Portland by throwing in NY. With plenty of game but little head for it, I think it would be a good sacrifice.

Posted by: yankeevicar | December 6, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Wow, who put the Kool-aide in the water this morning?

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 6, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Real quickly, for those of you who have not paid attention to the NBA for the past oh 25 years...You basically can not "cut" a player. Some...very few...players have non-guaranteed contracts, but even those become guaranteed after a certain date.

You can negotiate a buyout, but only if the player is willing to take it. So when you say to "cut" DS or MJ or CB or whomever, what does that mean?

We need to keep all of our Guards, because there will be injuries in January, just like there are now.

McGee needs to figure out this game and give us a good inside presence. He is really the only guy on our roster that might be able to do it.

Posted by: Blurred | December 6, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Miller needs to play at the 3 and jamison needs to play 35 mpg at most. Butler 25-30 and Gil 30-32 - at least half those with another pg on the floor.

Posted by: Blurred | December 6, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"A close examination reveals not a single player capable of convincingly imitating a low post inside scoring big man (their best post players aren't really big and none of their bigs are really low post players)."

When you say big you must be referring to wide. For I would consider AB, JM, & BH of course all big men. To me they all provide a much better margin of production as bigs for the Team than any of the guards do in a pure point guard role.

So if your point is, though that JC is good enough to solidify the point, then yes we can look at improvement in the big man arena.

However, my statement was in direct response to what guards was the most expendable.

And right now, the point guard play is more of a problem than the big men.

I would rather solve my point position first and hopefully JC is the guy to do it than to wish on something that we don't have.

There are no big men floating around out there better than what we already have.

However, JC is here.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 6, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"it's funny to read all this stuff about the wiz. i live in california and watch all of their games, usually disappointed by the end, even if they win. but i'm occasionally fired up. when i see gilby make a great move and get to the rim, or antawn do his typical funky funky get down on the get down, or blatche hits a jumper or nick young a stop and pop, etc. we / the wiz have our moments. i'm enjoying them as they happen. if you get too caught up in expectations, you get too caught up in disappointment. i'm suggesting enjoying the ride, even if it's happening on the shoulders of someone smaller than me (likely, all of us). the team aint going to win no championship, so you may as well enjoy what you can along the way. soak it up yo.

Posted by: PopeyeJones | December 6, 2009 5:28 AM | Report abuse "

Umm, teams don't pay people max money or 50 mil to let fans "enjoy the ride."

They are paid to win championships, or at least pretend that they are serious and can contend.

The NBA is supposed to be the elite of the elite. It's kind of sad how mediocre the latent is past the 6th player on a team.

I think the NBA is probably too big with too many teams....talent is watered down and we're left with a product that sucks.

NBA should shorten the season, reduce the number of teams, and reduce the roster. Sick of all this mediocrity.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 6, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

We're all aware that the best five players the Wiz may not be the five that should be on the floor at the same time; Haywood, Jamison, Butler, Miller and Arenas. We have hardly seen this lineup operational because of the injuries to Miller and Jamison.

Arenas' performance recently suggests he can still score and if he wants he can pile up assists but he may not be able to make a seamless transition between distributor and offensive weapon the way preeminent points can. He's either on or off in either mode; if he's in passing mode he has to think about scoring and then it's too late. If he's in scoring mode, tunnel vision sets in and he may not see his teamates as the defense keys on him and they open up.

Miller and Butler are small forwards that can play shooting guard, Miller seems to work better at the two than Butler and his passing may be better and Arenas is actually a shooting guard who needs the ball, obviating the role of a point guard.

There is sufficient talent on the Wizards to be the fifth seed in the East, whether they stay healthy and can play effectively together is another matter. Time is also starting to be a factor since Miller is still out.

Posted by: midlevex | December 6, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 6, 2009 9:42 AM

Boy, talk about killing competition and free market. Sounds to much like dictatorship to me.

If you shortened the season and had only ten Teams, Five of them would still suck and be mediocre.

Get real DC_MAN88, its an imperfect world and the imperfections don't always need or have to be complained about.

Geez.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 6, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

It has become a mantra on this blog, we need an inside presence so lets get a big man. As if they grow on trees. Please wake up folks. There isn't a Wilt anymore. Kareem and the sky hook are over. There is no Moses, nor Hakeem, or Patrick. The Diesel is on his last legs and we are slowly seeing Tim D go on the decline. The only real big men are Dwight, KG, Dirk, and possibly Bosh and which of those teams would give them up to the Wiz. Plus Dirk and KG are on the downside of their careers. Everything you read about Boozer is that he is selfish and a cancer to a team. Sane goes for Amare. I haven't seen either of them leads their teams to the promised land and they arguably had better players surrounding them. Melo is not a down low presence and he is untouchable in any case. Truthfully what many of you wish and dream for only comes around once every 10 years or so, a center with a go to move. So while we would all like a stud in the post unless you can come up with a trade that would pass the red face test or wouldn't cripple us for years let's put this topic to bed and make the best with what we have.

Posted by: izaballa | December 6, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Well said.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 6, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I agree with everything you said except calling Chris Bosh a big man....LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 6, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Regarding big men: Elton Brand is a premier low post presence and is rumored to be available from the Sixers. He's past his prime but he can contribute somewhere.
Considering his contract I don't suppose he'll wind up with the Wizards but there are talented low post players still around.

How would a Brand or similar player fit in with the Wizards depth chart? Would Jamison switch to small forward? Butler and Blatche?

Posted by: midlevex | December 6, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Wizards need to blow the Pistons out tonight. Need to come out angry and blow them out. None of this slow start stuff.

Posted by: t-train | December 6, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Midlevex, not to belabor the point but you cannot possibly put Brand in the same class as the players I mentioned in my first post. Perhaps he could have been in the same class of big men before the injury but he has not returned to anywhere near the form he once had. Even if he had a contract we could absorb a trade by the Wiz for Brand would be a reshuffling of the deck. No improvement at all so why bother.

I will say this about Brand. Once AI comes back next week Brand will look refreshed as will the 76ers as a whole. But do not be fooled, they will be a .500 team at best albeit more exciting. So Brand's value may appear to go up later in the season, but the real Elton is what you are seeing now, a shell of what he once was.

Posted by: izaballa | December 6, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I stated Brand was past due date, in his prime he was one of the best post players in the NBA. I also stated that contractually he doesn't work with the Wiz.
My question is more about how a post player like Brand would work with currently configured Wizards. What happens to Jamison, etc?
It seems to me that the Wiz may try some minor tinkering but what we've got is probably what we're going with for the rest of the season.
Without substantial success this season they will likely try to blow it up and start over. Even then with some of their contractual obligations they will have some problems.

Posted by: midlevex | December 6, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Still talking about trading CB,and then what? the pressure then shifts to Andray Blatche who will have to step up each and every game CB has been consistent since day one on both sides of the ball yeah he's been a little off this season(but so has every one else) they trade Butler then the return had better be huge or EG can start packing up his belongings( I WISH!!)CB will be back to his old self starting tonite in Detroit and stop all this trade Butler talk before you give DUMB-DUMB(EG)anymore stupid ideas.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 6, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

There would be no more pressure on Blatche than there is on Butler to step up and play smart basketball. Of the "big 3" Butler probably has the highest trade value and will be the first to go of the three, imo.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 6, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"A low post offensive presence to open up the floor for all of the jumpshooters."

Right, that's the missing ingredient. I recall reading that Grunfeld preferred Hibbert over McGee for that reason, but Indiana grabbed him. Me, I'd prefer somebody who could play forward. Brook Lopez, for instance. Elton Brand. Somebody mentioned Brand had passed his sell-by date, but that I don't see.

So who's available? Tyrus Thomas. Another shotblocker. I used to hope he'd turn into a poor man's Antonio McDyess, but it hasn't happened yet.

On Oden: maybe that's an object lesson in why you shouldn't draft players based on team needs. The Blazers figured they were close to a title and 'needed' a big defensive center more than anything. Perhaps that led them to ignore Oden's injury history. Or maybe it was just the NBA's longstanding love affair with giantism. Of course, if Portland had taken Durant, would they be in a championship series this year or next?

On EG packing his belongings: hard to imagine Grunfeld being around next year without a dramatic improvement in the team's fortunes. Pollin was reluctant to allow the club to get historically bad, but Leonsis isn't. Of course, the Pollin family may hang on to the team...

Posted by: Samson151 | December 6, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Here is Jamison's evaluation from Draftexpress. "Jamison is one of the most creative finishers around the rim in the NBA. He has an assortment of finger rolls, floaters, and runners off the dribble that make him nearly impossible to defend once he’s turned the corner. Jamison’s back-to-basket game is also extremely effective, especially considering his diminutive size as a power forward. Though he’s developed into a very solid featured offensive option, Jamison remains one of the more productive player’s off-ball. He has a knack for creating offense off of transition, cuts, and offensive rebounds, making it easier to run plays for other members of the team. He’s an incredibly versatile player, which allows him to exploit a large variety of mismatches as they appear on the floor. He’s a prolific, and quite underrated scorer. He also has a superb feel for the game and rarely turns the ball over. Defensively, Jamison does a very solid job against the face-up power forwards that are starting to dominate the position."

Is this entirely wrong, if not how can the Wizards improve much beyond what Jamison is providing?

Posted by: midlevex | December 6, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tgif11 | December 6, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

You guys blame the bigs for their lack of production in the paint, but so few opportunities are created by guards getting them the ball where they can be effective.

Posted by: yankeevicar | December 6, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"The problem for many is that he doesn't use those skills nearly enough to provide a consistent low-post presence. His preference clearly appears to be the long-range jumpers even though he's pretty crafty around the basket."

I can buy that I suppose but then what we're talking about is replacing Jamison at 4. He then becomes either a SF or a sixth man because we're loaded with forwards who are better suited to the 3 than the four.

Essentially we're talking about restructuring the Wizards entirely. The reality is that they will probably wait for Miller to get healthy and go with what they have for the rest of the season.

With the death of Abe Pollin and the likely change in management prognosticating the future for the Wizards becomes fairly difficult as Samson suggests.

Posted by: midlevex | December 6, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Those advocating the Wizards dearth of a low post offensive presence have yet to convince me that Jamison is not adequately fulfilling that need."

As I've said many times before, Jamison has great low post skills. Problem is that he doesn't have great size for a PF, which means the only time he can really be effective on the block is when there's a switch defensively and he gets guarded by a smaller player. Which doesn't happen all that often because he plays almost exclusively at PF. They need a low post scorer who can dictate matchups and force the other team to respond to his presence down low. Jamison simply can't do that.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 6, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

"For I would consider AB, JM, & BH of course all big men. "

More muddled nonsense from the master of the form.

Where did I say those guys weren't big men? That's right, I didn't. I said the Wizards big men weren't real low post scorers, and they're not. Blatche is a jumpshooter/driver; Haywood's offensive is all reactive, off of putbacks and lobs; same with McGee; and Oberto has no offensive ability at all. Jamison, at 6'8" (maybe) 230, has very good low post skills but does not have a true big man's size and, as such, can't often post up other true big men.

Bottom line, Arenas, Foye, Boykins, James, Miller, and Crittenton all do a better job running an offense than Haywood, Blatche, McGee or Oberto do generating offense inside with the ball in their hands. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

Feel free.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 6, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

"Truthfully what many of you wish and dream for only comes around once every 10 years or so, a center with a go to move. "

Who said anything about "a center with a go to move"? No one, that's who.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 6, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse