Morning brew: Plenty of problems

Well, at least the Wizards ended their losing streak while they were gone.

In Monday's Post, Michael Lee takes a look back at the trip that (almost) wasn't in terms of victories. Plenty of problems remain, but you already know that.

The trip ended with a thud in Phoenix, which came on the heels of a throwback performance by Gilbert Arenas at Golden State.

Elsewhere, Mike Jones of the Washington Times catches up with Randy Foye as he deals with a reduced role.

Truth About It sums up Saturday's game in nine frames. Mike Prada shares his frustrations in the wake of the Phoenix game on Bullets Forever.

Some leftovers from the weekend: John Hollinger wrote on ESPN.com Friday that it may be time to blow up the Wizards (ESPN Insider account required).

And Arenas told Yahoo's Marc J. Spears on Friday that it was time to unleash Agent Zero's "killer mode." Well, it worked against Golden State.

Highlights from Friday and Saturday courtesy of NBA.com below:

Around the League ...

Seven games on Sunday's schedule. Here's the quick recap courtesy of NBA.com's Daily Zap:

By Ed Guzman  |  December 21, 2009; 9:39 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew  | Tags: Washington Wizards; NBA; Gilbert Arenas; Antawn Jamison; Flip Saunders
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suns 121, Wizards 95
Next: Saunders benches ineffective Stevenson

Comments

I am irritated by state of the team like most of us on here. However I do not think it is because of an over all lack of effort or because of coaching. To start with the coaching, Im not saying its a good job but I think it's too early to consider the coaching non competant. The effort part I think lacks because of the over all disarray.

I really think we are a victim of being disillusioned. The Medium Three, they have been above average players and not the Superstars they have been hyped up to be. I think Gil was on the verge of being a superstar.

When we were winning 43 or so games per season we were all happy (myself included) but I was also concerned why at least 39 of them were all last second nail bitters. We also got blown out too often for a "play-off team".

I think this management poked its chest out being proud of this and operated like they did not need more talent. They operate like they are the Lakers and Spurs with the reluctant drafting. If there is not the next Wilt Chamberlin they refused to even try big men. Other teams will mix and match servicable bigs to get the job done. We just "go small"

Posted by: millineumman | December 21, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I confess that usually after the first couple lines I'm pretty sure I already know what you're going to say. So I skip the rest. I mean, if I already know what you're going to say -- because you've said it a hundred times -- why read it?

That's probably true for a lot of us here.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 20, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Samson151

I know how you feel, it's the same way I feel when I watch a Wizards game.

Why waste your time and money?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Ernie G will keep this group together another 10 years stating if they are all healthy someday we'll be a championship team.
BWAHAHHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Posted by: dovelevine | December 21, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Arenas now says he also isn’t the type of player who can be a vocal leader and hold his teammates accountable. In short, it’s just not in his personality. The person that you see on the basketball court is not the same person outside the lines,” Arenas said. “Outside the lines, I’m [low-key]. I don’t do nothing. I don’t go high and low. My emotions don’t fluctuate. When something happens, I don’t do anything. So if somebody is arguing, I just sit there. Somebody’s fighting? I just sit there. You don’t get no reaction from me. I’ve never been that type of player.

Too many holes, not enough filler.

Maybe we get lucky in the lottery and draft someone you can actually build a team around.

Posted by: 2020doc | December 21, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"Point being; we where never that good and in the meanwhile made little to no effort to improve the roster."

They were good enough to be a mid-to-lower level playoff team, which was a huge step up from where they were prior to Jordan and Grunfeld taking over. But they were never good enough to be contenders, despite the feel-good glow of that brief stop at the top of the conference 3+ years ago. Anyone not blinded by fannish self-interest could have seen that.

As for the roster improvements . . . I've criticized Grunfeld many times for his failure to upgrade the support staff back when this team was at its peak. For the better part of the last 5 years, the team's hope for future development hung on a kid taken at the ass end of the second round, right out of high school. When Ernie finally did make a move to bring some young talent with real potential in, it was too late. The team was in "win now" mode and thus didn't really have the luxury of waiting for the kids to catch up.

I've said this before, in relation to Jordan's firing, but a big part of the problem with this team over the past few years has been the mixed signals and competing agendas coming from the front office. It never seemed like the owner, GM, and coach were operating from the same playbook. Hopefully the new owner will come in with a clear blueprint, because right now it looks like the whole thing was just slapped together.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Love when Gilbert says, "Hey man what did you expect, I haven't played any basektball for two years. I've got to relearn it."

BTW did he say that to the Wiz right before he signed his new $100 million dollar contract??!!
Just wondering.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 21, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"I gave them a lot of rope early to see where they were. Now we know," Saunders said

they hung themselves!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

From ESPN.com

8.Wizards' Woes Won't Disappear
By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

For the league's three "W" teams, 2009-10 hasn't produced many W's. The Warriors, Wizards and Wolves are a combined 20-59, with all three falling short of what already were fairly modest expectations this season. Wizards fans might rightly argue, however, that Golden State is in much better shape than their team. The Warriors will have cap room in 2010 and have several quality young players to build the team around. Washington, on the other hand, is in far more dire straits going forward. The Wizards essentially went all-in over the past summer to try to join the Eastern Conference's elite, a questionable premise in light of the fact they won only 19 games last season. Now Washington finds itself at 7-16 after a series of heartbreaking losses, and with the team well over the luxury-tax threshold, many are wondering if it's time to reassess and start over.

It won't be easy. The Wizards have two major negatives facing them in rebuilding that the Warriors don't. First, they have one genuinely horrible contract in Gilbert Arenas' six-year, $111 million deal that still has four seasons to go after this one. Yes, the Warriors have a couple of doozies on their roster, too, but nothing of this magnitude. Arenas is giving them midlevel-caliber production at a superstar price, and it will be virtually impossible to trade him given his history of knee problems and middling production this season. Not even the Warriors would take the bait on that.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Kalo ;

yeah thats the way it looks. Sad part is that it looks like little of significance can be done right now. Maybe trade Butler or Jamison (really to late,missed the bus on that one). I doubt if they can get anything great at this point. Will only signal a change in possibly the right direction.

Posted by: millineumman | December 21, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

We do better in a trade wating until near the trade deadline, I think. That's when a playoff bound team will decide if they need to add a hefty contract for an almost guaranteed double-double every night (Jamison) or former all-star with 1.5 years left on his contract who might fit better in a different structure (butler)

Other side of that is that is when some teams might be giving up on their current core and be looking to unload salaries/pick up some young players or look at future cap room.

Posted by: Blurred | December 21, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

has anyone heard anything real about mike miller...other than "coming back soon" and "practicing" why doesn't anyone give us some real scoop there...he is a smart player who hits the three...knows when to shoot and not shoot and rebounds great for his position. I am not claiming he is an all-star but i think you will see pickup when he is on the floor because being a smart baller doesn't get the credit it deserves!

Posted by: IZZY3 | December 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"The ESPN article doesn't seem to notice that the Wiz are looking at dropping well over $20 million off their books this summer."

That's assuming they don't re-sign any of their FAs (including Haywood, Foye, and Miller). In which case they (A) will be heading into a major rebuilding phase (which could well take longer to pay off than the higher-quality young talent on the Warriors will take to ripen) and (B) still won't have the cap space to be significant players in the FA market. In fact, if they renounce all of their FAs, the payroll will be around $53 mill. If the projected salary cap of $53 to $54 mill is correct, that could leave the Wiz either just above the cap, with only the MLE and LLE to spend, or just below the cap without the MLE to spend. Either way, they can't count on expiring contracts alone to give them the ammo to reload.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The uncertainty in the ownership situation may really end up biting them in the ass. Because if it becomes clear(er) that this team isn't going anywhere and that a major overhaul is needed, trading some of the expiring deals (James, Haywood, Miller, Foye) at the deadline for assets with future potential (younger players, picks) would be a reasonable move, but without an owner in place, Grunfeld may not have the go-ahead to pull any deals off.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I just hope we don't resign Haywood.

Posted by: Blurred | December 21, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Kalo - I know settling estates and making a deal like this is time consuming, but if Ted says he wants the team, isn't it pretty much a fait complit? that's how I understood it.

If so, then Ted could authorize whatever, whenever, assuming the estate doesn't actively block him from doing so. If I knew what my soon to be boss wanted, I'd start trying to do it now, rather than wait.

of course, if I am mistaken about his ability to own the team, then you are 100% correct.

Posted by: Blurred | December 21, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I can rebuilding if it looks like its being done the right way. I do understand the plunge in marketablity that would probably happen. I would still support the team and go to as many games as I could although I admit they would have to get lucky and get one or two young very promising players to watch.

I would prefer that because there is the potential to contend one day. This perrenial mediocrity is what gets boring to me.

Posted by: millineumman | December 21, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"can understand rebuilding"

Posted by: millineumman | December 21, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Blurred,

As I said in one of the previous threads: Wasn't it was supposed to be a fait accompli that John Kent Cooke took over the 'Skins after his father died? How'd that work out?

Until all the legal details are sorted out and the papers signed and notarized, Leonsis is not owner of the team and can't make any decisions about its finances. If that happens before the deadline, great. If not, then the whole thing could be in limbo until the offseason. And in that scenario, it's unlikely that the interim caretakers (be it Irene Pollin, Abe's executor, or whoever it is) will be willing to sign off on any deals with significant financial impact.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for re-building. Personally, I'd rather watch a group of nobodies that plays hard and smart than a bunch of guys who are overpaid and continue to under-perform and make the same mistakes.

This team as it is constituted with the "big three" will just never be a true championship contender. Maybe we'll threaten the 2nd round or threaten to get to the East finals, but we'll never win anything of any substance.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

If they drop the next three games, all against sub-500 teams, then they're toast. If they really think they got better on a 1-3 road trip, they need to show it by winning some games.

Posted by: efblevins | December 21, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@Blurred,

My understanding of right of first refusal means that once the price of the assets (team, building, etc.) is set Leonsis has to decide if he wants it at that price. He may decide that the price is outrageous and give way to a different individual or group with deeper pockets.
It's far from a done deal.

Posted by: and_1 | December 21, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Blurred

I don't think it's a matter if Ted wants to buy the team. I believe it will come down to what will the price tag be?

If the Wizards could (?) make the playoffs this year, it would bring up the value of the team. But, if you keep the players and their high salaries and they don't make the playoffs then the value comes down.

The real question is will the Pollin estate let Ted get involved with the organization before the transaction occurs?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Ray Charles could see GA111 is mostly what is wrong with this team. His contract, his attitude, his confusion, his lack of defense, his lack of leadership, his mouth, his turnovers, his missed free throws,etc....

GA111, I too wish you would've stayed on the West Coast. We 100% agree on that point.

Do us a favor and be a leader and bench yourself. Never crossed your mind to do that did it?? Prove us wrong, and dropping 45 aginst GS won't do it. If you were worth your coin Haywood would've had 50 and you would've had 20 assits in that game.

I logon just to see how GA111's boy LarryinClintonMD mixes the GA111 Kool Aid. I got to admit I was disappointed not to see any comments from you Larry. Come on. We're bored and need some entertainment Larry...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 21, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

still a big fan of randy foye

Posted by: crs-one | December 21, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"And Arenas told Yahoo's Marc J. Spears on Friday that it was time to unleash Agent Zero's "killer mode.""

Funny.

I think he needs to work on his free throws because he can score all the points he wants to but if he can't sink 2 gimmies at the end of the game then it doesn't matter what he does.

"Until all the legal details are sorted out and the papers signed and notarized, Leonsis is not owner of the team and can't make any decisions about its finances."

Entirelly different, not even the same.

JKC thought it would be less money to have his son just buy the team then pay the inheritance tax. Danny boy stepped in and jacked the price up, the rest is history.

Leonsis has right of first refusal, and for the sake of a better term, a monopoly on Ticket Center as well as a major financial draw. He has already said he and his partners intend to buy the team. He would be a complete moron not to. After all, it's what he really wanted in the first place.

Again it's when, not if.

The only way someone else gets to even make an offer is if Leonsis says "I changed my mind." but that's not going to happen.

In the mean time, EG's hands are tied. I'm sure he's talking to Leonsis about everything but the reality is they aren't going to do anything until the off-season. They might unload a couple peeps for picks, but I can't see them making a major trade.

I'm afraid were stuck with what we have in the mean time. :(

If anything good comes out of this is that the Wiz are probably going to start over, but that means being a player this off-season. Leonsiss did that with the Caps, I'm sure he feels no pressure doing it again with the Wiz.

I'm tired of the excuses, I really thought they were going to be better then that this year. :(

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Good point, and_1. I hadn't considered it from that angle. Yet another hurdle to overcome. And then, of course, there's also the process of the sale's approval by the league, which could take a fair amount of time.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I just hope we don't resign Haywood.

Posted by: Blurred | December 21, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

10/10

Posted by: crs-one | December 21, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh Don't worry boys and girls, Ted Leonsis is on the way. He will own the team and build a contender. First right of whatever.. It's going to happen. Mr. Leonsis and his group is probably one of the most powerful groups that exist in all of professional sports. So whatever the price, beleive me "THEY GOT IT"..

And I bet he will move everyone he can, including GA111 if at all possible, and start over and build this correctly. Just look at the ONLY Pro team that we have the Caps as proof....

Posted by: kevenjones | December 21, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"10/10"

Contract year.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

One more: I would also like to see our players stop !@#$ing to the refs after almost every play. STFU and play the game. Let the coach go after the refs if need be.

But stop whining to the refs while the other team runs down the floor for a layup.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 21, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"Again it's when, not if. "

Which does nothing to undermine or contradict my original point. To wit:

"Until all the legal details are sorted out and the papers signed and notarized, Leonsis is not owner of the team and can't make any decisions about its finances. If that happens before the deadline, great. If not, then the whole thing could be in limbo until the offseason."

Doesn't matter how much of a lock Leonsis is, he still can't start giving out orders until the deal is done. That's unlikely to happen before the trade deadline.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting wonder if Flip does more talking about the team's shot selection to reporters than he does to the players themselves, in particular, Jamison.
He's as guilty as anyone of taking really bad shots 20 feet from the basket early on the clock and he's routinely first or second in 3-pt shots attempted to boot.
Either he's stubborn and wants to win "his way" or genuinely thinks they're good shots, in which case he better get used to watching "Groundhog Day".

Posted by: and_1 | December 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Count me in as one of the guys who was clearly wrong about this team.

It's unbelievable that these guys simply don't come to work every night. I still am under the impression that we have the talent to win a lot of games. Problem is, these guys think they are way better than they are. They simply refuse to play the game the way it is meant to be played.

Upon further analysis, that they are seemingly in every game is fools gold. Charles Barkley (and I REALLY HATE to say this) is right about this team. Unfortunately, it appears Flip is about to join him in his opinion. I know what I said last week. I retract all of it. They must have the lowest IQ in the league. Lower even than the Nets and Warriors. At least those two teams were projected to be bottom feeders.

The Wizards, on the other hand, were projected, based on talent, veteran leadership, coaching, etc., were projected by some to be a 50-win team. That they might not be even a 30-win team speaks volumes for their approach to the game, and the lack of professionalism which which they approach their jobs. If I approached my job that way, I wouldn't have one.

I realize we were on the last game of a Western swing, but at least give me some effort. I knew we were going to get blasted by Phoenix. I predicted a 30 point loss, and I wasn't far off the mark.

No defense. No defense. No defense. Did I say "no defense?" Absolutely NO defense. This team doesn't play any defense. This team doesn't know how to play defense.

"I think we can contend for a championship." Antawn Jamison

Is there even a word in the dictionary (or NOT in the dictionary) to describe that statement at this time?

Posted by: bpybay | December 21, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"I think we can contend for a championship." Antawn Jamison

Posted by: bpybay | December 21, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

bpybay

How about delusional?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

What I would say to GIL: Pass the ball to Caron SOMETIMES?!@?

What I would say to CARON: If Gil passes you the ball a little more, do you promise not to shoot the rock EVERY time you get it?

Love the team. Love Zero. Love Juice. But the ball movement and shot selection is atrocious.

Anyways, Get 'em in Philly!

Posted by: moment_i | December 21, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"I think we can contend for a championship." Antawn Jamison

Posted by: bpybay | December 21, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse
===========================================

Also try "whatdafudgehebetalkingabout"?

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 21, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevenjones | December 21, 2009 1:17 PM

If ANYONE could get Haywood to drop 50, they should win MVP on the spot. And 13 dimes may not be 20, but it' pretty damn good.

******

10/10"

Contract year.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 1:31 PM |

Exactly!!! I don't want us tying up another $25 - $40 million on an average center who is currently playing for his last contract in the NBA. We can add that untradeable contract to the two we currently have.

Posted by: Blurred | December 21, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred
==============================

AMEN!!!

No more noodle legged players tying up the salary cap.

Posted by: millineumman | December 21, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

If the Pollin estate and Ted agreed on a purchasing price then it would be up to the Pollin estate if they want to let Leonsis get involved with the organization before the transaction legally occurs?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

It's kind of comical how the experts and paid professionals finally realize that this team needs to be blown up when a lot of people, including myself, said this team can't win with Gilby, should have never re-signed him or MeTawn, and this team should be blown up.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 21, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

DC_MAN88

You and I both have been saying the same thing for a long time, but you can't expect the blind followers to accept it until the organization tells them what to think.

When that day comes do you think any of them will admit we were right?

NO WAY! They will blame it on the old man dying, injuries, coaching changes or whatever excuse they can think of to give themselves peace of mind?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78

Without an agreement in place, I don't see how Ted can put conditions on anything. He has to agree to their selling price then maybe he can insist that no major transactions be made without his consent prior to the deal being formally approved.
Since no purchase price has been set and agreed to (to my knowledge), he's on the outside looking in.

Posted by: and_1 | December 21, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: and_1 | December 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Please don't forget to add Deshawn "I can't feel my face nor my shooting touch" Stevenson. Someone needs to tell him to stop jacking up these 3's. The reason he is having the opportunity to shoot them is because everyone in this league knows he's missing them. what's the point in having a sg who can't shoot?

And flip is putting him in the line up for his D? I rather have NY or RF in the starting line up. We would still lack D, but at least we would have some O.

Posted by: Goelez | December 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

BF78 and DCMan...you are both D-Bags.

I was about to tellyou both tha I was mistaken about this team and had been fooled by them.

I still DO say if we had Miller playing the last month, we would have won 5 of those 6 close games.

None of that makes the Wizards poor performance Sat night acceptable though. This is a no heart team. At least most of those late 80's early 90's teams lost because the players sucked, not cuz they didn't try every night.

Posted by: Blurred | December 21, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if the Wizards make the playoffs. However, it's highly unlikely with this motely crew. Everyone seems to be on a "different page." Even the body language of some of the players demonstrates frustration. History has a way of repeating itself, so unfortunately another injury is probably on its way. Its just a matter of time before these players publicly pronounce dislike for Saunders.

Posted by: Theone9 | December 21, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"I know they aren't going to play "D", they aren't going to out hustle the other team, they aren't going to pass the ball, they aren't going to play smart, they aren't going to take good shoots, they aren't going to take advantage of the 24 second shot clock.Everyone we should listen to Samson151 and quit going to the games since we know whats going to happen after the first couple of plays!posted by bf78"

The difference being, you could change. I'm not sure about the Wiz.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 21, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"You are right Leonsis can't start giving out orders, but, he could start putting conditions on the deal; like the amount of payroll, what players he wants traded and the direction he wants the team to go."

No, he can't. He can't start doing anything with regards to running the Wizards until the sale is final and approved by the league.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse