Saunders benches ineffective Stevenson

After watching his team go 1-3 on their West Coast trip, Coach Flip Saunders decided it was time to make another change to his starting lineup. He said he plans to bench the ineffective DeShawn Stevenson and will start either Randy Foye or Nick Young at shooting guard against Philadelphia on Tuesday.

Saunders had used Stevenson as the starting shooting guard the last five games, with the hope that he would provide a defensive presence and move the ball around on offense. But Stevenson hasn't been able to make shots, which actually put more pressure on the other starters to produce and resulted in the team losing four of his last five starts.

The Wizards are 1-5 with Stevenson as a starter, and his production with the first five (2.5 points, 2 rebounds) wasn't much different from when he was a reserve (2.1 points, 2.1 rebounds). In his last five games, Stevenson shot 2-for-16 (12.5 percent), which nullified any influence he could have possibly had on defense.

Stevenson missed 50 games and had season-ending back surgery last season, when he shot a then career-worst 31.2 percent. But this season, he is shooting 25 percent.

After practice, Stevenson ran stairs by himself in the Verizon Center. He later said that his back is fine, but he's having trouble finding a rhythm offensively.

"I don't feel a rhythm out there, when I do get the ball and I probably get a shot early and not another until the third quarter. I guess when I get my three shots, I got to knock them down, wherever they are. but it's possible," he said. "I did it before. My first year I was here, I had shots I needed to make and I did it."

He understood Saunders's decision. "It's part of basketball. You just got to be a pro and be positive. Flip's an offensive coach. He does preach defense. The way he plays is more for the offensive player," Stevenson said. "It's tough, but we got a new coach, I ain't played in a year. I got to stay positive and not get down on myself. Just work through it. I can get through it. I've been through worse situations."

From Saunders's tone, it seems more likely that Foye will get the start, although Young started the last game against Philadelphia and did a solid job scoring and defending 76ers swingman Andre Iguodala. But with Mike Miller not expected to come back until the beginning of January, Saunders said he didn't want to put Young back in the starting lineup and take him back out. If Foye starts, it would be the 11th different starting lineup for the Wizards.

"We'll see where [the 76ers are] going. If they go with [Willie] Green we'll go with Randy. I'd like to get Nick into a role where he's going to be consistent. And we also have to look at Mike coming back in the next two weeks and suddenly he comes back into a starting situation, so it's like what we did with [Andray Blatche], get him comfortable in his role. I think Nick is what he is. As a coach you have to understand he's a streak player where you put him in and if he's hot you play him and if he's not then you'll have to sit him down. I don't think he's a guy that you can play 30, 35 minutes. He might be a guy that's more effective playing 20 than he is when you're playing 32."

Javaris Crittenton has not made much progress on his injured left foot, which has sidelined him since training camp, and said that he plans to get a second opinion. He appeared despondent after the Wizards beat Golden State on Friday, claiming that he still had more pain in his foot after participating in some light practice drills on the West Coast trip. Crittenton had surgery on his foot in late October and had hoped to be participating in full practices at this point.

By Michael Lee  |  December 21, 2009; 3:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning brew: Plenty of problems
Next: Wizards' morning brew: a return to Foye?

Comments

I'd rather see an undersized court with Foye and Arenas instead of any lineup with Stevenson in it.

However, I think the smart move is to start Nick and give him decent minutes if he's "on" on a given night, plus he plays better defense than Arenas or Foye.

Stevenson shouldn't even be allowed to watch the games from the bench. Let him kick his feet up, grab a brew and watch the TV in the visitor's locker room.

Posted by: artiesliver | December 21, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Saunders benches ineffective Stevenson

Duh!

Posted by: VBFan | December 21, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Or Stevenson can run stairs for the entire game.

Just don't let him back in the lineup!

Posted by: artiesliver | December 21, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Funny how many coaches have liked Stevenson as a starter, even when his shooting touch left the planet.

Back at the beginning of the season, I liked Foye as a starter next to Gilbert, moving over to PG when Gilbert sat. Maybe we'll get to see that.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 21, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Saunders benches ineffective Stevenson

I wudda thought Stevenson made every shot in practice and shut down whoever he was defending in order to get 5 starts.
Bad news about Critt I liked what I saw last year from him.

IMHO NY should start & bring in Randy if Nick ain't playing well.

That should be the rule for everyone.
if he's hot you play him and if he's not then you'll have to sit him down.

Posted by: VBFan | December 21, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow there is a Santa Claus....

What the hell took so long to discover this?

Now we just need Stevenson to stop that stupid hand to the face thing he does when he makes an occasional shot!! How embarrassing and what a joke.

I think this will help, if he starts Nick and Nick makes an effort defensively

Posted by: kevenjones | December 21, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

So, now I guess we should start the pool on how many losses it will take before everybody starts blaming the teams' woes on whichever hapless bastard gets to take Stevenson's place.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Stevenson should only be brought in to shut down a star player or someone who gets hot. Boykins should not play during the 4th quarter. He is not a long term answer for this team. Nick Young and Foye need to have more consistent minutes.
Coach Saunders has made too many mistakes with this team thus far. He has failed to develop Blache...Jamison plays way too much and his shot selection is horrible...
This team may need to look to trade Butler or Jamison. Maybe both players. I don't understand why Jamison has to shoot so many three pointers. Arenas is coming along but lacks the explosion in his vertical leap at this point. Stop wasting time with Stevenson and Boykins...Foye and Young are the future of this team...Blache needs to hit the weight room and play more position defense...Mcgee and Blache need to understand that they are not going to block every shot. How many goaltending calls did they have the last two games?

Posted by: bpluim1 | December 21, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The difference being, you could change. I'm not sure about the Wiz.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 21, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Samson151

I'll change after the Wizards change.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope Foye gets the nod. Yeah, it'll mean an undersized backcourt, but (if his early season, pre-injury play was any indication) it should also mean some better ball movement when he and Arenas are on the floor together. Neither guy is a true PG, but both have enough court awareness that, between the two of them, they should be able to get some movement into the offense. I think that was part of the problem with Stevenson on the floor. He's actually got good court sense, but since opponents didn't respect his offense (either shooting or driving) he wasn't able to use it to set up the pass. They sloughed off him, clogging passing lanes and inviting him to shoot because they knew he couldn't hurt them. Theoretically, they shouldn't be able to get away with that on Foye. (The same would apply to Young, if he ever passed the ball.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

You're only about five games too late Flip.
Nick can easily eclipse Stevenson's 2 ppg average even if only allowed to play the first quarter of every game. The real question is what did Stevenson show this season to merit becoming a starter in the first place.
He should only be allowed to play during the preseason.

Posted by: 2020doc | December 21, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin | December 21, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"You are right Leonsis can't start giving out orders, but, he could start putting conditions on the deal; like the amount of payroll, what players he wants traded and the direction he wants the team to go."

No, he can't. He can't start doing anything with regards to running the Wizards until the sale is final and approved by the league.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Kal,

I notice how you conveniently left out the second part of my post. (as usual)?

I don’t know if you’ve ever made any major purchases; but whenever I’ve bought homes, I made them correct the problems a home inspector found before the sale was final, I’ve purchase vehicles and made the dealership fix problems my mechanic found before the sale was final, I’ve bought businesses and put conditions on the deal that my lawyer and accountant have recommend before the sale was final.

It’s all a part of the negotiating process?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Flip is a perfect fit for the Wizards he flip flops more than any politician in DC and this is a town that no one is ever held accountable for their actions?

Javaris Crittenton… had more pain in his foot after participating in some light practice drills on the West Coast trip. Crittenton had surgery on his foot in late October and had hoped to be participating in full practices at this point.

I’m glad to see the medical staff hasn’t changed?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

There's a big difference between buying a house and buying a sports franchise. As I've said (multiple times) the sale won't be final until it's approved by the league. And until that approval is given, Leonsis will not have any say over the running of the team, anymore than the Russian billionaire who will almost certainly be the Nets new owner has any say over that one.

The world of sports doesn't work like the rest of the world.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"If the Pollin estate and Ted agreed on a purchasing price then it would be up to the Pollin estate if they want to let Leonsis get involved with the organization before the transaction legally occurs?"

Wrong.

The world of sports doesn't work like the rest of the world.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Furthermore, given the extreme unlikelihood of your having ever bought a house, car, or business with a purchase price in excess of $100 million dollars, your purchase history is less than irrelevant as a parallel to this circumstance.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Also, as and-1 pointed out, there's no guarantee that Leonsis and Pollin's executors will agree on a price. Leonsis has right of first refusal. That's not the same as carte blanche to buy the team. There are any number of reasons and scenarios under which Leonsis could end up not owning the team. That being the case, there's no logical reason for the executors to let him act as a shadow president before the deal is final. Any moves he makes in that capacity could end up damaging the team's value if it ends up that he's not the new owner (and the person who is has different plans than Leonsis). That would be an incredibly foolish business move on their part.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Flip Saunders has been more of a disappointment than Deshawn Stevenson is bad.
This is getting most absurd.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 21, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

...Randy Foye to the rescue. Oh boy!

Posted by: oddjob2 | December 21, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

kal

What is your reading comprehension about a 3rd grade level?

Notice I said "it would be up to the Pollin estate if they want to let Leonsis get involved"

"IF" they let Leonsis the league would have no say.

I never wrote it would be a wise move on the Pollin estate to let Leonsis get involved, but from reading your post over the couple of years I understand, you don’t.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 21, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards are a joke and the team needs to be gut up. This team will be mediocre for the next 5 years. We need to develop in the draft and get rid of jamison and butler, we are stuck with arenas... Go Caps! Stevenson should not be in the NBA

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | December 21, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

"That should be the rule for everyone.
if he's hot you play him and if he's not then you'll have to sit him down.Posted by: VBFan"

Problem is: define 'hot'.

Suppose Arenas makes five jumpers in a row, then misses the next five. Leave him in or sit him down?

Suppose Jamison scores 8 points in a quarter but plays lousy defense? Leave him in or sit him down?

Suppose Javale McGee blocks four shots, three of which are retrieved by the offensive team for easy putbacks. Leave him in, or sit him down?

Posted by: Samson151 | December 21, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan78: "kal What is your reading comprehension about a 3rd grade level?"

I knew you were going to say that.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 21, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

"

I've given it serious thought and have the solution to the Wizards problems, a trade. The Wizards send Gilbert Arenas, DeShawn Stevenson and Fabricio Oberto to the Lakers for Kobe Bryant and Paul Gasol. Here's why the trade makes sense for both teams. (1) Arenas is a west coast guy while Kobe is from the east coast. Why not put them in the region of the country where they're each most comfortable (2) Oberto and Gasol both speak Spanish. What's the difference what team they're on? (3) Deshawn Stevenson is the great rival of LeBron James. I can't understand why the Lakers wouldn't go for this deal, but I'd be willing to part w/ Dominick McGuire as well to sweeten the pot. Let's get it done!Posted by: randysbailin"

Nice post. Let's git 'er done!!

Posted by: Samson151 | December 21, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

While I am thankful that Flip has made Stevenson the scapegoat and benched him, it's really disconcerting that he doesn't address the problems in the front court. Jamison and Butler are in season 2 of this absolutely embarrassing play.

Last year, the two of them it on not having Haywood and poor play from the young players.

THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ALLSTARS!!

An "Allstar" player on a bad team, usually produces tremendous numbers because he's the only option. If you have TWO "Allstars", you're supposed to be a playoff caliber team, never mind Gil, Jamison and Butler are vets.

I don't believe either of those two would get many minutes playing for a contender with the mindless plays they are making.

How can Jamison not know when he's taking a bad shot? How can Butler not identify when he's dribbling into a double team?

I intentionally left Gil out of this debate because this team won 19 games last year without him and Haywood.

So my focus is on the two players that b!t@hed the loudest about what they didn't have around them last year.

Posted by: bozomoeman | December 21, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

It took Flip 6 games to realize this??? And what the heck is wrong with Butler? He must have some injury that they are hiding. He and Gilbert have become turnover machines. At least Gilbert pumps in points.

Can't wait for Ted to take over the team and make some changes to the roster to make them competitive, and most important, winners. Too much complacency has built up over the years. Need a professional, well-run, corporate approach.

Posted by: la_terp | December 21, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Now what sane person doesn't realize that Butler and Jamison are All-Star Game imposters? They're no more legitimate All Stars than say, Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Posted by: 2020doc | December 21, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

"That should be the rule for everyone.

Problem is: define 'hot'.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 21, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse.

if he's hot you play him and if he's not then you'll have to sit him down.

These are Flips words about Nick.
I guess he has the definition of "hot".

Posted by: VBFan | December 21, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

"I guess he has the definition of "hot".
Posted by: VBFan"

And he was only talking about one guy.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 21, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

"I guess he has the definition of "hot".
Posted by: VBFan"

And he was only talking about one guy.

Posted by: Samson151

My point.
If it applies to NY why didn't it apply to Deshawn?
or Gil
or Caron
or AJ?

Posted by: VBFan | December 21, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Whoop de d@mn doo...

Benching MeShawn is like firing G-Wiz....

Who gives a sh!t?

He shouldn't have been starting to begin with.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 21, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

""I think it's a combination of having the year off, and he couldn't do much in the summer time because of the back, he just tried to get back in shape and get his weight down and so because he's been off for so long, he just couldn't get into a groove," Saunders said. "I think he changed his shot a little bit with his back. Looking back at some film his shot's a little different. So I told him we'll just have to keep working on getting that thing back to what it was.""

Wake up Flip, he sucked even before he got hurt.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 21, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Mister Fifty?? what??

Posted by: Marine4Life51 | December 21, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Flip's clueless.

Nothing has changed about Stevenson this season. He was horrible five games ago and he's still horrible.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Nice quote. If this is what Flip is dealing with on a daily basis, then I absolve him of any fault. According to DS logic, if Flip were more defensive minded, he'd leave Stevenson in so that he could work his shooting average to below 20%, thereby allowing the defense to play 5 on 4. Oh, and Stevenson could continue to play average on Defense. Stevenson should just be ducktaped to the bench

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | December 21, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

DeBrick was averaging 2.3 PPG before the Suns game on Saturday and his scoring avg went DOWN. That's what a fat goose egg will do to one's numbers.

That is all you need to know about the train wreck now known as DeShawn Stevenson.

No wonder LaToya Luckett dropped this buster like a bad habit.

Posted by: elfreako | December 21, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I want to see Foye get a real chance for once but I also like NY and he matches up well with Iggy so who knows. Still, if you make a trade for a guy then you have to give him a real shot to prove his worth

Posted by: dlts20 | December 21, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I think Foye plays well with Gil. I also like the fact that even though his minutes have been limited, he's still being a little unselfish and not just gunning. I think Flip wants someone on the starting unit who can hit open shots but also wont try to take away all the shots from the big 3. I think he feels that NY may be the better starter with his size and defensive capabilites but Foye is a better playmaker and wont take all the shots away from the stars. Its screwed up because you also know that Miller is going to come back. Do you start Foye and then come off the bench with Boykins & MIller while sitting NY? Again, if it was up to me then I would start NY and bench Boykins. I would start NY and come off with Foye & Miller because I think they match well together. If you arent going to do that then give Foye his shot and give him the start. It might hurt us on D but its obvious that DS sucks on D now too and we have to win with O right now

Posted by: dlts20 | December 21, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

MeShawn played 12 minutes in a 26 pt blowout to the Suns.

Was he really responsible for that?

Puhlease..

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 21, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

So neither Miller nor Critt are going to be back very soon. Too bad.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | December 21, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

"IF" they let Leonsis the league would have no say."

In what I'm sure will be a revelation to no one . . . you're an idiot.

Just because you add the word "if" to the beginning of a bunch of nonsense doesn't make it anything other than a bunch of nonsense. It simply makes it a bunch of conditional nonsense

(A) Until the deal is done, Leonsis cannot run the team. (B) Just because two sides agree on a price doesn't mean that the deal is done. It's not up to the executors of Leonsis' estate whether they want to let Leonsis run things before the sale is final. Leonsis cannot start making financial decisions that will affect the Washington Wizards until the league approves the sale of the team to him and he's certified as its legal owner. Period.

Did I mention you were an idiot? In case I didn't . . . you are.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 22, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Did I mention you were an idiot? In case I didn't . . . you are.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 22, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Kal,

I'm really sorry I didn't know you were left back in the 3rd grade because of your lack of reading comprehension.

Relax, it's only a stupid sport.

The pollin estate can do whatever they want since they own the Wizards!

My son I forgive you since you know not what you say out of anger, low self esteem, and the fact you haven't come out of the closet yet. It's okay to be gay you should be proud it.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 22, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

In addition to knowing nothing about basketball, you know nothing about business or the law.

"The Pollin Estate could give Leonsis permission to sit in on the day to day process and ask him would he prefer to trade a guy like CB and AJ in order to avoid going over the luxury cap next year?

The pollin estate can do whatever they want since they own the Wizards!"

Damn, what a shock. That's wrong. Whodathunkit?

In addition to knowing nothing about the sport of basketball you also know nothing about the business of it. At least you're consistent.

Abe Pollin owned the Wizards. His "estate" doesn't own the team. An estate is simply a collection of assets. A collection of assets cannot "own" anything. In fact, until his will is settled (along with any legal challenges to it, a process that could take months or even years) many of his assets are not truly "owned" by anyone.

The executor of his estate oversees the care and disposition of his assets in the wake of his death, but that executor does not "own" those assets. The executor is simply the legal caretaker of them. He cannot do with them whatever he wants. He's bound by law, by the terms of Pollin's will, and by the regulatory guidelines of whatever organizations those assets fall under. In the case of the NBA, that means that he can't just go dragging people off the street and asking them to run the team, esp. when said person is well known by the league to be the primary bidder to purchase the team.

Unless Leonsis plans on sneaking into VC through a back entrance wearing a false mustache, it's a damn good bet that if he were to show up in Abe's old office and start making trade calls that David Stern would hear about it and not be happy, because (and I know this is the part that confuses you, so read it slowly; maybe get your nanny or wet nurse to help): until Leonsis actually purchases the team and his ownership is approved by the league, he flat out cannot be involved in its financial operation. Period. That's the way the NBA works. They have a detailed process by which team ownership is approved and they take it very seriously. Any attempt to circumvent that process (like say, backdoor dealing before his ownership bid is approved) would almost certainly be found out by the league, damage his ownership chances, and possibly result in his bid for ownership being rejected outright. Leonsis, not being an idiot (or you), understands this and would bend over backwards to avoid even the appearance of impropriety.

Unlike you who only bends over backwards to wedge your head more firmly up your own ass.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 22, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Let’s see…

I was right when I said 100 times this team would never win another championship under Abe!

I was right when I said this team wouldn't get out of the first round of the playoffs this year!

I was right when I said Gil could never lead this team anywhere!

I am right about Flip grasping straws trying to find a way to win!

I am right about Ernie who built this club has no clue on how to put a winning team together!

By the way did you get to read Abe's will?

I'm sure Abe was smart enough to avoid the time and costs associated with the probate process by utilizing estate planning devices like a living trust.

You really can't read very well can you?

You spend time arguing about things I never said to prove a point in which you know nothing about?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 22, 2009 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Carefully I tread into this discussion but wouldn't the fact that the Wizards are being "overseen" by an executor free, rather than tie, EG's hands? The way I figure, any executor would have to cede to the "professional" judgement of the GM in the normal execution of his business duties which include trades, free-agent signings and other personnel moves. Surely, the operation of an "asset" isn't paralyzed during the process. Yet, as I write these words, I can see that personnel decisions that substantially change the business position of the team, for example, going even more over the cap through a trade, might be of interest to the executor.

First time in my life it's occurred to me that I should have gone to law school.

Posted by: mugsybol | December 22, 2009 4:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mugsybol | December 22, 2009 4:18 AM | Report abuse

That's the way the lawyers want it?

It's the only way they can afford to pay back their student loans!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 22, 2009 5:15 AM | Report abuse

"I am sorry if I struck a nerve; but I was just guessing that you didn't pass the 3rd grade the first time and it must have scared you. If you want I can suggest someone who may help you get over your neurosis or is the reason you feel inadequate and try to prove to everyone on here your opinions are right and the rest of us wrong come from your father issues since he scolded you for being a bed wetter?Posted by: bulletsfan78"

LOL that has to be the dumbest paragraph we've had here in a while. Congratulations.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 22, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I thought Stevenson played well at the beginning of the season. Solid defense, avoided turnovers, hit the occasional shot. Frankly I thought the guy's career was over with that back injury last season. He seemed to come back surprisingly well.

Guess it didn't last.

I suspect coaches play DeShawn in part because the vets like him. He's an effort guy, reasonably unselfish despite the crazy shooting percentages, and tough. He makes up in part for some of the defensive shortcomings of his colleagues.

But he's right, Flip wants the team to score, and Stevenson (increasingly) can't deliver. If Arenas, Butler, and Jamison were dropping in twenty a game, you could carry a player like Stevenson. But they aren't, so he's back to Foye and Young.

Foye works harder on defense, so he may be the choice.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 22, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Really Flip? What made you decide to change? I wonder what you were thinking since this team plays no "D" anyway and since "i can't feel my face" can't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn. I've said it once, this guy is clueless and so is his assistant coach's.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 22, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what gave Saunders the clues to bench him :)

That is one of the big problems in sports is coaches who are too scared to bench one of the "favs". Then it is usually too late to make up ground because you have gone with these guys too long.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 22, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see AJ at the 3 anyway.

I can see now that Flip has it all wrong in regard to NY. He's classifying NY as strictly a streak shooter. If you look back at the games when NY started, he played solid defense as well as decent offense. It's not like last year when he had an aversion to D. He's actually playing it and playing it well. What is it going to take for a coach here to realize that some of our best talent is on our bench? NY, JM and AB should all be playing prominent consistent roles, IMO.

Posted by: original_mark | December 22, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

"We should have unloaded CB after last year when his value was at its highest. I'm pretty sure the Clips would've given us Griffin for CB and #5.I'd like to see AJ at the 3 anyway."

Wow, I don't know why the Clips would do that. They've already got Al Thornton at SF. I'm sure Grunfeld would have made the trade in a hot minute.

CB's value IMO isn't to another struggling club. It's to a contender.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 22, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the posts today.
However the missing is the addressing of the 5 position.
BH is as biz a liability as DS. He is consistently missing with no athletic skills. Also he is a dig in the lockeroom if not pacified. He is a reserve at best. We

Posted by: mricklen | December 22, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the posts today.
However the missing is the addressing of the 5 position.
BH is as big a liability as DS. He is consistently missing with no athletic skills. Also he is a dog in the lockeroom if not pacified. He is a reserve at best.
Am always amazed at the inference of the defensive skills of Bh and DS. This has to be a joke? They are both liabilities at both ends of the floor.
The most effective lineup remains Ab, Aj, Cb, Ny, Ga.

Posted by: mricklen | December 22, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

the BF78 and Kalo argument made me laugh out loud one too many times. Now I have coffee stains on my shirt.

I also wanted to make sure everyone knows that mricklen and I are not the same person.

Here's how the trading works best for us:

During the season - trade expiring contracts and high-priced vets for younger more athletic players. Try to get future draft picks added to every deal. A 2016 first rounder from Detroit doesn't sound like much now, but in 2016 it will be nice to have.

Load up on as many good athletic young guys as you can (which means keep Blatche, McGee, NY, Dom and Crit) and avoid the early FA market at all costs.

since so many teams are trying for the 3 or 4 true megastars and so many will have left over money that they could lure with Dwade, less than mediocre players like Haywood are going to get long contracts for twice what they are worth.

Hang in there until you see whats left over and pick up some good deals. Keep them to short contracts.

Trade our stat guys for young guns and expirings in August. And add those future draft picks!

Yes, we will suck next year, but will win more than we are now. Get a bunch of hard working, athletic guys to play for their supper every night and shake out who can really play. Next year, buy the big talent to move us on.

Posted by: Blurred | December 22, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark | December 22, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

i agree mark. When given the start or allowed to play starter's mins, NY has put together some very nice almost complete games. I've seen him defend,rebound and pass the ball well, in addition to his scoring which can be streaky. I'd suggest Flip look at game logs of NY's starts and the results when he plays over 25 mins. he labels him as only a streak shooter because that's the only way he plans to use him.

BTW why does MM automatically come back to the starting spot when he's healthy? wouldn't it be a good job to pair him with his former backcourt mate Foye off the bench with monitiored mins while he plays his way back into shape? Miller's been out what a month and a half?

BTW is Foye as bad as he's looked recently? He looks like he has no game. No real j, not a super quick penetrator (quick penetrator lol) and not a real set up guy. He looks like a guy that a bad team duped us into getting so they could go get a real pg.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 22, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Foye has lost confidence from being out of the rotation and looks to be the most natural fit playing next to Arenas since he can handle some PG duties. NY has played well, but is not a good ballhandler which is something we need with the starters. I like the combo of NY and Boykins off the bench as the 2nd guard combo.

The Wiz also probably realize they need to showcase Foye if he's going to be part of any trade package in a month or so. As it stands now, no one would even want him for his expiring contract. Flip needs to put DSS at the very end of the bench, only to be used to play D in certain situations.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 22, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

i didn't think they could trade Foye this season, somebody correct me.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 22, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse