The Other Side: Memphis Grizzlies

The Memphis Grizzlies looked as if they were going to be a budding disaster when the season began with four offensive-minded players in Rudy Gay, O.J. Mayo, Zach Randolph and Allen Iverson. And, the Grizzlies certainly appeared to be in trouble when they lost eight of their first 10 games. But since parting ways with Iverson on Nov. 16, Memphis has been playing well, going 11-8 without the Answer.

Oh, you're crying now. Wait until I drop this jump hook over you. (Photo by Joe Murphy/NBAE via Getty Images)

The Grizzlies recently had a three-game winning streak snapped last Saturday with a 106-101 loss in Dallas, but they have won three in a row at Fed Ex Forum, including an impressive win over Denver. Here's what else you need to know about the Grizzlies:

1. Zach "Z-Bo" Randolph is Z-Balling. Randolph has had nine double-doubles and is averaging 23.3 points and 13.9 rebounds in 11 games this month. In the past four games, Randolph is averaging 29.5 points and 18 rebounds. He had season-highs with 32 points and 24 rebounds in the 102-96 win against Denver. Randolph has formed a solid frontcourt with Marc Gasol, but he is still searching for that elusive all-star appearance.

2. Mike Conley is finding his confidence, despite struggling with his shot the past two games. Conley credits playing the piano and the arrival of Jamaal Tinsley, who joined the team after Iverson departed.

3. Coach Lionel Hollins is making a difference. He won over his team by standing up to Iverson and now he has the Grizzlies on a roll.

By Michael Lee  |  December 28, 2009; 4:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Should McGee get a shot?
Next: Wizards (10-18) at Grizzlies (13-16)

Comments

I think this will be a really tough game for the Wizards...I hope they find a way but I can't see them getting past this team. Memphis is playing really good ball as of late and......they play in the West.

Actually, I believe they have the 16th best record so if playoff seeding went with the 16 best teams, they would be in.

Either way I expect the Wiz to struggle even if they win, unless....Something happens and Arenas plays 15-20 minutes or so...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 28, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

This would be a good game for Flip to play McGee.

Oberto cannot keep Thabeet off the glass on either end. Hell, he had his hands full with Brewer and Gomes the other night.

Flip needs to use his bench to matchup properly. Let McGuire get some burn guarding Gay and let McGee have at Thabeet.

Posted by: elfreako | December 28, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Well this could be ugly tonite Zach could turn Brendan into Brenda i'm not sure JaVale is ready to mix it up with the front line of the Griz since Flip hasn't seen it fit to give McGee any "run" whatsoever, and OJ Mayo might throw 30 on em tonite not to mention what Rudy Gay could do and by the way when is Mike Miller comming back and how do you tear a calf muscle if the conditioning coach is worth a damn.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 28, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Rphilli...I have to ask...who are your "NBA insiders" you mentioned earlier today? You really think any of us believe you regularly talk to "insiders" yet post crazy stuff here?

And by the way, you never asked us to find 7 players that would help this team more than Brendan, you asked for 7 players that were playing better than Haywood right now. I found 20. You can argue that they aren't "real" centers or whatever, but the truth is, we have been deceiving ourselves for far too long that haywood is anything more than good backup. We need to cut bait and move on without him. There is no future with him and he has proven for 9 years that there is no "now" with him either.

Posted by: Blurred | December 28, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't trust that idiot EG to execute any more trades.

Please relieve this moron of his duty and let the next GM do what needs to be done.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 28, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

DC MAN, everyone who reads this blog knows your an obsessive wack-job and all, but you lose all credibility with even the first-time readers when you call Ernie Grunfeld a moron.

How does it feel to know no one on this blog takes anything you say seriously?

Posted by: Barno1 | December 28, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

This game should be very interesting. I say that because I was totally shocked last game. We had won 2 in a row, 3 of 4, everyone was up beat, all the former Wolves guys coming back home, and they had a great dinner the night before at Flip's house. I saw in the paper after the game that everyone talked about shot selection and being selfish but to me that was way way way secondary. The main thing is that from the jump they had no energy and were flat. I never expected that after all the stuff I named. How could that happened? Now though Im thinking that maybe I needed to cut them some slack and maybe it shouldve been expected with the Christmas Holiday, the traveling, and everything. Thats why I really want to see what happeneds tonight. Was it a one game fluke where that stuff made us flat or are we really just a bad team still. I want to see some energy from the jump.

I hope the criticism of Gil shooting too much doesnt make him strictly pass happy tonight because I think he could go off against these guys. I didnt think he really shot all that much anyways. He took 28 shots but I think he did it because of what I talked about. Everyone else seemed flat. He was the only one that seemed to have some pep in his step and I thought he couldve had like 18ast if guys didnt miss easy or open shots. The Grizz are a much better team than in the past so they will think they should win this. They wont have Gay which helps. This game will be interesting to watch but if we play with energy, and Gil stays aggressive, then I think we can play with anyone

Posted by: dlts20 | December 28, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Gonna be interesting to see which Wizzie team shows up tonight. Hope Flip didn't have them over for dinner.

This could be the start of another big losing streak or the other kind.
This thing needs to turn around quickly or we're gonna be discussing lottery picks very soon.

Posted by: VBFan | December 28, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

A lot of jumpers.
No movement without the ball.
Looks a lot like the Wolves game sofar.

Posted by: VBFan | December 28, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, you know your team is bad when you find yourself wishing they were at least as good as the Memphis Grizzlies.

Posted by: clocker58 | December 28, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

God, god, god, what a miserable piece of crap team and franchise. why am I so cursed? Signed a loyal Wiz and Orioles fan (unfortunately).

Posted by: alaskan_teleman | December 28, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

has there ever been a team with 3 all stars who was so bad?

Posted by: alaskan_teleman | December 28, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse