The Other Side: Toronto Raptors

Watching this is making me ill. (Gregory Smith/The Associated Press)

The Toronto Raptors have been stuck on seven wins for more than a week. The Raptors (7-13) have lost five games in a row, including a 106-102 loss to the Washington Wizards on Tuesday. They have lost six consecutive road games and arrive at Verizon Center on Friday an especially embarrassed team following a humiliating 146-115 loss in Atlanta two days ago.

Here's what else you need to know about the Raptors:

1. With the Raptors' season already sliding out of control after a massive summer overhaul, Coach Jay Triano has taken criticism from his players. But President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo said he is to blame since he assembled the team.

2. Former Raptors coach Sam Mitchell is enjoying life away from the game -- while still earning $4 million from Toronto. The former coach of the year was fired after an 8-9 start last season, but he has some advice for his replacement, Triano: Get tougher on Chris Bosh and Jose Calderon.

3. The Raptors have stunk largely because their defense has been garbage. They are allowing 118.3 points per 100 possessions, which is the worst in the NBA. The league average is 106.7. But another problem has been Hedo Turkoglu's difficult transition with his new team. Michael Grange of the Toronto Globe and Mail writes that the problems are much deeper.

By Michael Lee  |  December 4, 2009; 3:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Players feed the hungry
Next: Raptors (7-13) at Wizards (7-10)

Comments

Kalo...nice conjecturing on the previous post. Interesting thoughts.

For me, I'm gonna worry about tonight and this weekend and this month and this season.

Who wants to make a conjecture on onights score?

I have no reason to believe it other than my personal optimism, but I smell a Bullets win tonight by 13+.

Posted by: Blurred | December 4, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

When I said long-term...I didn't mean after this season. I meant long-term THIS season. A team that depends on Earl Boykins in the clutch IS GOING NOWHERE.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Except they've won .555 with him and 4 of the last 5.

Maybe he just needed the right spot. I am not overly optimistic my assessment is correct, but it is hard to argue with the success they've had.

If Boykins role is to be a spark, let Gil play off the ball and hit those last second FT's, I can't see why he can't do the job nicely.

Posted by: Blurred | December 4, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | December 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Fizzzzzersttt!

Posted by: Gooddad | December 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Now i don't feed much into gossip at my age(rapidly approaching sixty) but i just read Black Voices.com about Shaq and Arenas fiance, you mean to tell me?come on you gotta be kidding me right? Shaq? Naw! man that is............. as Rick James used to sing COLD.........Blooded, Whoa i had to stop reading the article and i thought i saw references on this blog about Gil's fiance and an alleged affair, as my 17 year old says "Dad you're stuck in the seventies" LMAO!

Posted by: dargregmag | December 4, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Just happened across one of those early-season mock NBA drafts, and saw the bloviators have already anointed Kentucky's John Wall as the top choice -- sort of a Derrick Rose clone, supposely. We'll see. I like the guys behind him, Derrick Favors of Ga Tech and Evan Turner of Ohio State. I was also impressed with Oklahoma's Willie Warren in the one game I saw him -- a very solid scorer if not particularly big.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 4, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Samson...I know I am a homer, but you gotta see Larry Sanders from VCU. This guy plays smart, is 6'11" and has like a 7'7" wingspan. Besaides that, he can play D and is super mobile.

Since he has grown 3 inches in 2 years, no reason he wont get to at least 7' by the time he goes pro.

Last year he shut down Blake Griffin for the first half and then Blake had a less than spectaular (for the #1 pick) 2nd half.

Posted by: Blurred | December 4, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Sanders is a baller for sure, and the cat's been outta the bag on the CAA for a bit. I bet he gets drafted pretty high

Posted by: divi3 | December 4, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

OK...Blair had a nice overall game last night, but I had to post this. Just check out the first 20 seconds or whatever. Hilarious.

Posted by: Blurred | December 4, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

That was just a brain freeze by Blair. It certainly looked like he was intentionally trying to tip it into the basket. If not, Pop should have yanked him from the game for trying to be a showboat by one handing rebounds and costing his team points.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 4, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Wiz need a solid win minus Boykins' 4th quarter heroics. It's important IMO that Foye get back in the rotation and redevelop the chemistry he had with Arenas early in the season. Foye is a classic combo guard and is a potential long-term solution at the two-guard slot. Boykins should be the change of pace guy who provides energy when the team is off to a slow start.

People also seem to be forgetting how well Miller was playing as a starter at shooting guard. He's a quality player who can be a good facilitator and 3-point spot up shooter. Currently, we don't have anyone on the team who is a deadly 3-point shooter which leads to a reliance on Arenas, Jamison, and Butler to take those type of shots when teams pack in the middle.

Toronto is a mediocre, soft team who the Wiz should blow out at home. The win over Milwaukee was weak and the Wiz have no excuses after being off last night.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 4, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Kalo - yes. It seemed obvious to me he was just in the mode of getting the put back and got a bit confused. Great overall game for him, though.

Wizfan...I agree and can't wait for Miller to get his butt back on the court.

Posted by: Blurred | December 4, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

When is Miller due Back?
Getting him back & Foye back to his old self will help a bunch.

Posted by: VBFan | December 4, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

The Raptors again? Didn't we just play them twice back to back? Silly scheduling....

Posted by: charley42 | December 4, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinzFanzz | December 4, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

WIZARDS revert to form tonight, to wit: LIZARDS. Winning five of six is too heavy a burden for this team to carry. "Glory, glory, hallelujah, when I lay my burden down...."[PORGY and BESS].

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 4, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 4, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Who wants to make a conjecture on onights score?

Posted by: Blurred | December 4, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I reposted my thoughts on this game from this morning. They are immediately above this post.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 4, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse