Wizards 106, Raptors 102

Well, at least the Wizards started out December much better than they finished November. In defeating the Toronto Raptors on Tuesday, they were solid defensively and effective offensively in the fourth quarter, bouncing back from a poor performance against Charlotte. Funny how things don't look so bad after a win.

Filled with frustration and doubt on Saturday, the Wizards were a confident bunch in Toronto, as Antawn Jamison, Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler combined to score 71 points, Brendan Haywood scored 15 points with nine rebounds and stifled Toronto's Chris Bosh and Earl Boykins again played the role of fourth-quarter closer, handing out four assists in the final frame.

The Wizards came aggressive at the start, but they truly took over in the final period, led by none other than Arenas. Arenas had struggled in his previous two games, scoring a combined 15 points and sitting the entire fourth quarter the win in Miami. But Arenas said that he sat down with Flip Saunders after the Charlotte game and Saunders told him, "Play how you play."

Arenas nailed a three-pointer to get the Wizards started on an 18-6 run, which turned a seven-point deficit into a 90-85 lead. Arenas scored 10 points during the run, including an aggressive, bumper car drive in which he bounced off Andrea Bargnani, scored, and got floored by Hedo Turkoglu. After going 3 for 11 through the first three quarters, Arenas was 4-of-6 in the fourth. He also was very careful with the ball, handing out nine assists with just one turnover -- a travel.

"It's basketball, baby," Jamison said he told Arenas. "Only thing you're worrying about is people saying you're not scoring enough. But that's who he is. He's never been one of those guys who's worried about what people are saying and just did things his way."

Arenas accepted the blame for his slump in recent weeks. "I think I did it to myself," he said. "The first couple of games, I was doing a lot of scoring and Tawn was coming back, so I started winding myself out of scoring. It was to the point where when I did shoot it, I was never in sync. I wasn't in aggressive mode. Same thing with free throws, I was never in that aggressive attack mode.

"I tried to wind myself out of it and I go back into passive mode," he said. "It kind of screwed everything up a little bit. I'm going to being aggressive, who I am. It's just a mentality. I've got to get back in that scorers mentality."

The Wizards should've felt better about themselves when Jamison grabbed his first rebound less than two minutes into the game. That meant that there would be no repeat of Saturday night, when he failed to grab a rebound. Jamison was huge on Tuesday, hitting big shot after big shot, not allowing his team to fold.

Haywood also had a great game, with one glaring exception -- free throws. But I'll get to that later. First, you have to look at what Haywood did defensively on Bosh. Bosh finished with 22 points, but he missed 15 of his 22 shots. And, in the fourth quarter, Bosh was just 1 of 6, with Haywood contesting everything Bosh put up, adding a vicious block that sent Bosh crashing into the cameramen along the baseline, rubbing his head.

"He did a good job," Jamison said. "Brendan, every time we play him, has always done a good job as far as making it difficult for him and really making it tough to shoot over him. He's physical and can match up with that as well. But, the guy is what he is. It's definitely tough to play against him, and he's one of my favorite players to watch - not play against though. But I definitely like having a teammate like Brendan when going against him."

Haywood would've been more pleased with his performance if he could've just made more free throws -- he missed 7-of-8. "It was one of those nights, where you just miss a couple and it becomes mental," Haywood "It's one of those areas I've really taken pride in, that I've improved. I missed my first four and you're checking over everything in your head. You just do what you normally do and what you work on in practice everyday. Hopefully this is a one-time thing and it won't happen again."

Late in the game, Toronto Coach Jay Triano started implementing a Hack-a-Haywood strategy, forcing Coach Flip Saunders to put Andray Blatche in cold in the final minute. To his credit, Blatche overcame a really rough night (five fouls in 11 minutes) and knocked down two clutch free throws.

Saunders also has realized that he cannot keep Boykins off the floor to finish games. Three of the Wizards' past four wins have come with Boykins running the show down the stretch. This time, though, Arenas shared the floor with him. They both agreed that it was like their time together in Golden State, when they were the closers.

The Wizards are better when Arenas isn't worrying about anything.

By Michael Lee  |  December 1, 2009; 11:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards (5-10) at Raptors (7-11)
Next: Morning brew

Comments

Flip finally moved Gil to the 2 tonight w/Boykins at the one and I thought he played well.

It's his natural position, I think they should keep him there.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 2, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

This was a good win. And like I thought, Flip is smarter than some of you are giving him credit for. He realizes that Gilbert has to get back to being a scorer first rather than the point guard for this Team.

However, the true test comes tomorrow at home on whether there really is some light at the end of the tunnel.

If they play well tomorrow night and win, look for this Team to be surprising in the month of December.

My vote was for 10-12 wins and closer to 12.

They the Wizards, realize that the success of the big three should not have ever been taken lightly, if you know what I mean.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 2, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78,

I donot think that Flip has any question at all whether his system will work with this team.

He probably was just as surprised as anyone that at this particular time Gilbert is not ready to run point guard.

Other than that, I think Flip will get the job done, even though you know I wanted Mark Jackson.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78,

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78,

A little while back you took note of the fact that since Carolina lost 4 of the starting 5 that they might be ripe for a Maryland crab feast this year.

Since then upon further monitering of dem' dar' tarheels', I think they will not only whip up on Maryland this year, they will contend for The Final Four.

This Tarheel team is a lot better than I thought they were at the beginning of the season.

Look for Carolina Blue to be in the Cream of Crop again this year. We will not have to wait till next year.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 2, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

What about Flip Saunders Coach of the Month for December.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 2, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Both teams played one on one basketball and the Wizards were lucky they were playing another sub .500 team. This team needs a true point guard as a starter otherwise it is just one jump shot after another. There is no inside out offense on this team. McGee is a big disappointment in that he hasn't been able to push Haywood out of the starting lineup. Speaking of Haywood, he really showed his soft hands at the free line tonight going 1 for 8. You could get next to nothing for this guy in a trade. The one big positive tonight was that I didn't have to look at Stevenson's rediculous beard on the floor.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | December 2, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Gil's Knee?

So I was watching the game tonight when he didnt get the call and he got the tech. I said that was definatly a foul but if you watch the replay you can see that the ref is not giving Gil any calls because he wont elevate. Its been like that in alot of games. He should definatly be getting more calls but most of the times his layups are prayers. He jumps but is still releasing it from the ground because he cant get up. I feel sad for Gil. He's a righty but that also means that you elevate off your left leg in most cases and thats his injuried leg. Even when he's playing at a solid speed and attacks the rim, he doesnt get off the ground at all.

Im so 50/50 on the cause. I swear one minute I think its all mental and the next minute I think his knee is just not there, wether thats now or ever again. The reason why I think its mental is because he was playing with some hops in the Summer, some in the Preseason, and he got up mad high against the Mavs on a couple of drives on opening night. Still, that doesnt mean that it didnt break down some again. However, you can tell by the way he speaks and his body language that he's also not going all out. I also think its the JVG factor. I remember listening to JVG call some games and he was saying how sometimes guys think they are playing really hard but they arent. Thats so true and its not really a knock on the player. Gil might truly think that he is jumping as high as he can but he's really not. Sometimes you need someone to really point it out to you and tell Gil to just jump as high as he can sometimes to get over the fear.

Again, I still have tapes of him from a couple of years ago when he attacked 7footers and always got the call because he was at there height when it was contact. Now he's at like there chest or stomach when there is contact. I remember him kneeing Bynum in the chest or stomach and making him fall to the ground when he attacked the rim. Now his knee is at the level of there knee when he jumps. That truly is the difference in like 10ppg, either from just making layups or getting to the line. Again though, it could truly be physical. Sometimes it looks like it is. Sometimes it looks like the right side of his body & leg has mad push but the left side or left leg is just dead. Also, some games he plays with no speed & engergy but there are games like tonight when he has solid speed, tempo, and engergy but still cant elevate. Thats when someitmes I think its physical because he's playing with burst in other aspets but just not on jumping. Either way, lets just hope it gets better. I know Gil and he plays off confidence. Tonight was definatly a builder and I think he will try to go at Jennings on the home floor tomorrow

Posted by: dlts20 | December 2, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Watching the tape I noticed a few great things-

1-Gil's head seems to be getting back into place. He seems to be finding the balance of facilitator vs. taking over.

2-The the key stretch of the game Gil did take over offensively but DMac was inserted to clamp Turgolu and he did the job masterfully.

3- Haywood on Bosh was great. Flip seems to be much more gutsy in making lineup and match-up adjustments. So often in the Jordan and Tapscott days we saw no attempt to make adjustments based upon defense. We see Flip at end of half and game making changes each possession to get the edge. Simply put he is coaching rather than waiting for things to happen.

4- I am wondering when and if Foye will ever get any significant minutes with Young and Boykins now getting prime minutes. And when Miller comes back will he be exclusively a forward? Obviously Boykins is going to be a key player now. The Earl and Gil duo at the guard spot in the 4th quarter looks to be a great closeout scenario.

5-Flip had talked about a rotation of 8 with 2 others getting lighter minutes. I think he is either still figuring things out or that he has come to the conclusion that some of us hoped he would: that Stephenson, DMac, Oberto and McGee should be utilized based upon match-ups. He should not have automatic rotations in the 8-12 spots. This utilizes their strengths and helps each of them keep their heads in the game.

As December starts it is really all about playing well and learning roles. But as it looks like things are turning around it is exciting to think about possibilities. I glanced at the standings this evening and like what I see. Last week we were slotted at 13th in the conference. We have made a move and are heading for the 7th slot. Look at that loss column! Will we make it to 5 slot? Will we even get into the top 4? Premature thinking indeed, but that's the big picture goal. For the first time since the opening night victory it is not crazy for fans to start thinking about it.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | December 2, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Dts20 and Stanlong23.

Great Posts!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 2, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

this team is very lackadaisical...I watched the lethargy that this team displayed in the third quarter and turned the game off...I was very surprised that they won that game! If the wiz do not light a fire quickly then they will be the 7-8 spot in the east (hopefully) and exit in the first round...they settle for jumpers and even the jumpers look lazy...do they have anyone who can attack the basket consistently? do not let this win fool like the dallas game had everyone drinking the kool-aid...

Posted by: ronniecope106 | December 2, 2009 2:30 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

The Tar Heels go out and recruit the best players and get 5 all americans every year. They should win a national championship every year, but they don't?

It doesn't matter how many McDonalds All Americans you have the Terps are always ready when they play them Heels!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 2, 2009 3:03 AM | Report abuse

I think they display a smart approach to this game.The fourth quarter dominence was made effective with the defense made by DM on the turkish man and BH on Bash.Flip is very smart in substitution.I was expecting foye to have a good game but he was lost in the few minutes he has.He need to make statment to himself.AB has a bad one hopfuelly he will shine tonight.I like what NY is doing on defernse and shoot selection.If he is trying to approach the game like this he will have a value to himself.CB is working to get it done slowly, he is working on high percetage shoots which is a smart move.I hope they will get it done tonight, as i said before if they win these two games the month is theirs.There is a lot in the head of every body at this time, confidence is way down.

Posted by: gtefferra | December 2, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

I do appreciate DMac's game.
CB is still worrisome. By the fourth, I was fearful of him touching the ball in any capacity.

The glut of back court players is hindering chemistry. Two players need to be moved. Not counting Critt and DSteve they are already riding pine.

Gil, Nick, Foye, Boykins, Miller. How can they find a rhythm?

Posted by: bozomoeman | December 2, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I feel a 10-3 win streak coming.

Posted by: original_mark | December 2, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ronniecope106 | December 2, 2009 2:30 AM

Don't let the jumpers fool you. At this point they are more inclined to shoot, but they are not even really shooting well yet either.

They should be shooting more frequently and looking to spot from three more than they are.

They catch and hold to much and from the wrong spots.

And yeah, we can attack the basket, don't worry, don't be discouraged, they are not concentrating on that style of play that calls for high flying slice to the basket yet.

You really need a quick big point guard that can create all the way to the rim to see more attacking on the basket.

Boykin is quick enough, but not big enough.

Crit would be that guy. Be patient.

LarryInClintonMD.

I am back in the top four finish mode. I feel and I can see it.

Go Gilbert.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 2, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

A win is a win, but the cohesion on the offensive end is still missing. At least Flip told Arenas to play his game and inserted a ball-handler (Boykins) at times with him.

The problem with a Boykins/Arenas backcourt is no D. But Foye is not producing (given limited playing time).

I don't see a clear path yet from Flip. Too much flip-flopping with the players.

Posted by: Izman | December 2, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

""It relieves the pressure," Arenas said of sharing ball-handing duties with Boykins. "It gets me off the ball. It puts me back in my old mold where I was just a scorer. So every time I got it and I can go score. So I don't have to worry about anything.""

Gil's a shooting guard who happens to dribble and pass better than most SGs so he plays PG. He knows it and Flip is probably starting to realize it too. Love to see him getting time off the ball in crunch time.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | December 2, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

NICK YOUNG looked O.K. as well. Good to see GA resembling his old self, canning a couple of three's and actually rotating instead of standing around. The "D" was effective pretty much by everyone. BOYKINS was broken down off the dribble in the fourth a few times, but BUTLER and others were almost always there to pick up the dribble drive. FLIP's obviously designed defensive moves to counter that weakness when BOY's in. It's obvious the club took a big step in the right direction tonight with AJ as their spiritual leader. Almost like the guys were auditioning for the new ownership. They better play up to their potential. ABE's gone, and LEONSIS won't be quite so tolerent of poor play.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 2, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

DTLS:

Look at the image of Arenas on http://www.nba.com/wizards/index_main.html

It looks like he's elevated. However, he's wearing something under his shirt. What do you make of that?

Posted by: Izman | December 2, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Is MIKE JAMES well enough to play? Well, whatever reason he's shackled to the bench, it's great to see his azz collecting splinters, broken finger or no.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 2, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

".....I know Gil and he plays off confidence."

Posted by: dlts20 | December 2, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

That's so true. And these ABE and SHAQ things are dividing his attention. When he's broke down like that. then there's poor play which really starts to grind on him. GIL has a marvelous ability to concentrate, but outside influences can break that ability. This is one of those times IMHO.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 2, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

"......They catch and hold to much and from the wrong spots......"

LarryinClintonMD

I noticed that too Larry.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 2, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

One of those nights when the better team won. A Wiz victory means a brief break from the catastrophists around here. They'll be back with the next loss, of course, but I'll take what we can get.

The amateur GMs and head coaches never take a break, it seems -- win or lose. I recall one poster early last season who actually left messages for Grunfeld in his posts. He'd make some esoteric criticism of coaching strategy and close with "little help, Ernie". I felt confident Ernie wasn't reading this blog, then or now.

The thing that encourages me is the recent trend (at least, I hope it's a trend) towards more even FT attempts between home and visitor. Looks League-wide. At one time the home club could almost count on ten or twelve extra FTs. Last night, the visitors actually had a couple more attempts than the Raptors. Not that we made them, but still...

Posted by: Samson151 | December 2, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

The other thought, about Brandon Jennings, so far the most interesting rook --- about how much he seems to have benefited from his year in Europe. Seems like on the pick and roll he's way ahead of his classmates, and his three-point shot is much improved over two years ago. I guess you can attribute that to Italy. At least other high schoolers and their agents will.

And Brandon only played less than 20 minutes a game.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 2, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmChairQB | December 2, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

One of the problems I have with Ernie is he never drafted a point guard. By signing Stevenson they basically made Gil their point guard. The Wizards need a tall defensive minded point guard who can handle the ball and doesn’t care about scoring points.

Larry,

The problem now is Critt missed the preseason; which means it will take him longer to get into playing shape and learn Flip’s system and who knows when or if he’s coming back. When is the last time you’ve read anything about him?

This team can’t win with Boykins and Gil playing a lot of minutes together. I think Flip will start MM with Gil, CB, AJ, BH when he comes back.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 2, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

You guys keep lamenting the fact we don't have a "true" PG or EG has not drafted one. Perhaps, you forgot about JC who has been injured of course.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 2, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"The reason Gil plays point guard is because he is too short and either refuses and/or cannot play any "D". Guys like Kobe, Wade and Allen would score 50 points with Gil guarding them."

You're preaching to the choir, bulletsfan78. If Gil was 2-3 inches taller, he'd definitely be a two.
That said, Gil can't/won't defend PGs or SGs, IMO. Calderone got past him at will for layup after layup and shot 75% from the field. Jennings, a much more accomplished scorer, is up next and could pose a serious problem as he seems to have the ultimate green light to shoot.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | December 2, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dandyhuffman | December 2, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

"There is no inside out offense on this team."

when you say this, are you implying that the ball doesn't get kicked out to open shooters once it has been passed inside? or are you saying that the team has no interior scoring, which prevents them from having and inside out game?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 2, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

The problem is...there aren't very many of them running around. There are plenty of 6'4'' SG's though. The 6'7'' SG's are becoming few and far between now.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

missed the game....but hope AJ isnt going to have to log 40+ a night for us to win, cause you know that aint good.

caron had 1 assist? wtf

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

They won this game because they didn't settle for jump shots. Everyone attacked the basket in the 4th quarter. You could noticeably see they were not settling for the jumpers.

Another great effort from our TRUE best player Antwan Jamison.

Gil had a good game but just sounds so stupid talking about he decided to be aggressive tonight. This is my problem with him. He should be aggressive EVERY night. Please Gilbert just shut up and play.

December they will be 7-8 . That's my prediction. Wouldn't be suprised if they drop the next 2 vs Milwaukee 2nite and Toronto Friday before beating Detroit Sunday.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert played a lot better last night. I was glad to see that.

His defensive problems have been well documented and one observation I have had for a while is how passive he handles the screens. I could be wrong but this seems to be the majority of his problems defending. Calderon was getting off early because of this. Gil does not anticipate or try hard to get through the screens. Never has with Flip or EJ. I wonder do they address this or just inclined to live with it?

Posted by: millineumman | December 2, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Not sure what I want to see more tonight, Brandon Jennings or if the Wizards can keep from laying an egg at home after having a good game.

Posted by: boblas | December 2, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

milleneuman,

i think running through screen is where gil may be more concious of contact to his legs. trying to run through screens is where guys bang knees, get thigh bruises or bone bruises. he might be taking a less agressive approach to fighting through screens because he's worried about not seeing the contact coming, and not being prepared to brace himself as he would going to the basket or taking a charge.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 2, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Think dandyhuffman doesn't like BH!! He must have been watching another game than I was. BH played tremendously at both ends. Yes, his FT shooting was very poor but I don't think Flip is looking for BH's free throws as the main ingredient to win games. And Bosh got his points with BH on the bench.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 2, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

People or should I say Sheeps, lets look at the caliber of team we were playing to only barely win give me a break. Toronto is not a playoff team. The so call big three are only big here in DC area, on other teams they're coming off the bench. This team is not or ever going to win any title or championship game, not going to happen with this same group of player from 3 years back, regress not progress.

Posted by: getagripped | December 2, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

getagripped,

I don't know why they are referred to as the big 3. That is so ridiculous. BUT, Gil, Antwan, or Caron could start on a number of teams.

Antwan just does not get enough credit.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 2, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

It was good to see the Wizzies put this team away. They let them hang around til the 4th and I thought it was gonna be deja vue.
But the Wizzies looked fresher than the Raps in the 4th. I still would like to see Flip limit minutes of the starters---especially AJ. Don't like to see him play 40+ every game.
Nick had a unremarkable game ---sorta like a goof ref -if you don't notice him he did good--nothing bad and he had a couple of assists. He could have an impact if he keeps playing "D". We know he can score. Having him play 30 minutes/game will keep others fresher.
Magee needs more minutes-at least give him a 3 or 4 at the end of each quarter.

Posted by: VBFan | December 2, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I definitely think Toronto can be a playoff team and about them coming off the bench on other teams...please tell me what teams those are.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

for some reason we usually beat Toronto, just one of those things.

i have to admit i expect to witness an egg laying tonight, hope i'm wrong though

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"Bosh got his points with BH on the bench."

bosh scored 14 of his eighteen second quarter points with haywood in the game, a few were gimmes getting by aj but haywood was still there, and gil finds nothing but hate for a 22,9a,4r 1b,1s,1turn game, also dmac is our best defender not named haywood, he played very valuable minutes last night against the matchup nightmare hedo

Posted by: bford1kb | December 2, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

bford1kb,

For $111 million dollars that should be considered par.............

Posted by: kevenjones | December 2, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

there's not a single player in the league going for 22 and 9 and gil's third in assists for the top 20 scorers, deron williams and lebron being the other two

Posted by: bford1kb | December 2, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

bford1kb,

Whats your point? That he's top 3 point guard? I don't follow where you are going with this one.

22pts and 9 assists. but he averages more like 20 & 6 with......NO DEFENSE AT ALL.

Heck

Mo Williams is 18 & 5
Chris Paul is 24 & 9
Billups 17 & 6
Jameer nelson 14 & 6

I would trade for Rondo and a host of other true points in a heartbeat.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 2, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how people say this...but then the same people say Ernie blew it by not drafting Jennings.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 2, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Boykin's defense is underrated. He's quick and bothers the guy he's guarding quite a bit. Plus you can't underestimate the effect he has on other team's offense. Teams can get so fixated on trying to exploit their height advantage that they forget to run their offense and get the ball in their best player's hands.

This happened when the Wizard's would go against Earl. I remember Hughes trying to back down Boykins and post him up and often he would miss because he's not use to those types of shots and the Wizard's offense would get sidetracked and occasionally derailed.

I definitely saw that last night with the Raptors. Jack or Derozen tried a few times to go at Earl and failed.

Posted by: mjshabba | December 2, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Critt is not and will never be the Wizard's answer at point guard. Injured or not injured he is exactly where he should be... on the bench. He was on the bench the last place he was and when the Wizard's finally give up on him he'll be on the bench on that team too. He's only called a "true" point guard because he can't shoot. I sort of even doubt he's still hurt. If anyone in the Wizard's org felt like they needed him he would be playing. And unless we have a catastrophic rash of injuries and Foye, Arenas, Boykins, Miller, Stephenson are all hurt I sort of doubt he plays a minute this season.

Posted by: mjshabba | December 2, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Bc there is a lack of really good point guards in the NBA. Boykins is pesky but not great defensively. He can easily be exploited.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 2, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

rphilli - Way to make two contradictory points at the same time.

Of course Chauncy Billups would score 60 if Boykins guarded him the whole game. He could be easliy exploited by an elite guard but as you said there aren't many of them.

I was just saying he's generally guarding back ups that end up taking their team out of the offense trying to exploit their height advantage. And yes that Boykins was pesky... not that he should be first team all defense.

Posted by: mjshabba | December 2, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse