Wizards (9-17) at Bucks (12-14)

Wizards starters: Gilbert Arenas, Randy Foye, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, Brendan Haywood

Bucks: Brandon Jennings, Michael Redd, Andrew Bogut, Carlos Delfino, Ersan Iyasova

Line: Bucks by 7

If anyone on the Wizards was excited about a late December game in Milwaukee, it had to be Caron Butler, who brought a nice portion of his hometown of Racine, Wisc., down to Milwaukee to support him on Wednesday. Butler needed about 70 tickets for his family members but he also brought down 800 kids from seven youth organizations in his hometown.

"It's deep. It's crazy. The holidays and obviously Christmas you want to come back home and have a ball and see the support," Butler said. "The whole Racine crowd, it's unbelievable. Them coming out and showing their generosity and support for the hometown native, it's something special.

"I feel home. It's special," said Butler, who grew up just 30 minutes outside of Milwaukee. "You're playing in front of people that have known you your whole life and love you outside the game of basketball. They're here supporting you and to see the kids light up. This is every kids dream. I see them over there, particularly the males, and it's a dream to be on this court. A lot of the older brothers I see out here, I grew up watching at local community centers, but their dreams didn't come true so they're living through me. So it's special."

Butler said his teammates helped with some of the tickets for the Bucks game. "I don't think they know nobody in Milwaukee," he said with a chuckle. "The PR department usually handles the ticket situation, but we normally cater to each other like that. We go to LA and we know that Nick, Dom, DeShawn, and Gil will need to split the tickets, so we balance it out. Whenever I come home I go into the locker and my teammates have all their tickets on my seat."

Butler has had some highs and lows whenever he's played in Milwaukee. He scored a career-high 40 points but suffered torn labrum in his left hip on Jan. 27, 2008 and he also broke his right hand on April 1, 2007. The Wizards have also lost three in a row at Bradley Center. Asked how he would avoid any mishaps this time around, Butler laughed and stepped away. "Hopefully we get through [with] no injuries, safe and sound and most importantly get the victory," Butler said. "Some of the most explosive games I've had here but we didn't come out on top. So I'd be satisfied a if I score two, three five, whatever, long as we get the win and I don't have any injuries, I'm cool."

A day later, Coach Flip Saunders said he had no regrets about benching his starting five in the third quarter. The 76ers to start the second half on a 12-5 run and Saunders sat Gilbert Arenas, Randy Foye, Brendan Haywood, Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison in favor of Earl Boykins, Nick Young, Andray Blatche, Dominic McGuire and Fabricio Oberto.

A frustrated Jamison kicked the advertising banner near the Wizards bench immediately after the move. When asked if he had to smooth over anything with players who might've been upset, Saunders shook his head.

"Doesn't matter. If they want to mad at me and play that hard, then I'll do that every game," Saunders said. "As I told them after the game. I don't have to make them happy. They have to make me happy. That's the bottom line. I wasn't happy. And the response from the crowd, I think that it was the loudest ovation until the end of the game. So evidently they felt the same way as I did."

Saunders said that he planned on take the more than five hour drive to Minnesota after the game with his son, Ryan. "I get to see my kids, so that's good. I think Ryan's more excited about getting home for a day or two than I am," he said.

By Michael Lee  |  December 23, 2009; 7:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Side: Milwaukee Bucks
Next: Wizards 109, Bucks 97 [UPDATED]

Comments

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 23, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Hope he sticks to this philosophy.
Sux not getting the game on tv.
No expectations for tonight.

Posted by: VBFan | December 23, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I know only one quarter has been played, but Arenas looks as good as he did against Dallas in the first game of the season. He's seeing the floor extremely well and is flat out attacking the Bucks' defense. Damn I hope he can sustain this.

Posted by: and_1 | December 23, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching online if anyone needs a link. It's being covered by the Bucks so it's funny to hear it from the other side.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 23, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU
what's the link?

Posted by: VBFan | December 23, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 23, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Arenas: 15 pts, 8 assists, 4 rebs, 2 TOs at the half.

I hope he gets back into attack mode in the second half. They don't have anyone who can stay in front of him tonight.

Posted by: and_1 | December 23, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, Wizards shooting just under 60% at halftime. Bucks at 40%.

And Wizards only up by 5? That's not good. They'll have to cool down and the Bucks will heat up.

That Jennings fellow is awfully quick. But Arenas is moving well too.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 23, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

If they leave Redd on Gil then Gil should go at him to wear him down

Posted by: dlts20 | December 23, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

What is up with this schedule full of losing teams that Les BouleS are playing?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

"Zero comments. Must be a hell of a game. Wish I could see it. Damn, I hate hockey. Enough to make me puke.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 23, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse "

It's on TV.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Phil Chenier Analysis:

Michael Redd takes a 3 pt shot and misses.

Phil says "Oh, he has such a quick release..."

Hey Phil, he missed the shot....get a clue.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Poll:

Is Flip's hair...is he going to pull it all out first, or is it all going to turn white first?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Boykins gets the game ball for this one.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 23, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Hm, a two-game winning streak. Maybe Flip should bench folks more often.

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | December 23, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

"Mr. Boykins gets the game ball for this one.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 23, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse "

Why?

Hasn't he hogged the ball enough, and now you want him to take one home?

As sick as I am of seeing Gilby be a ball hog, I'm also tired of watching Boinkins dribbling around non stop without passing, and then taking a shot...

He's clearly just auditioning for his next team.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Flip should tick 'em off real good.

Posted by: and_1 | December 23, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

It's painful to watch two teams play that are under .500.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz get 1 offensive rebound?

Of course, they shot 53% from the field, which'll limit your opportunities some.

Not a bad game. We'll have to wait for the nattering nabobs to hear all about why the Wiz deserved to lose.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 23, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

It's painful to watch two teams play that are under .500.

Posted by: DC_MAN88
WELL IF ITS SO PAINFULL WHY DO YOU BOTHER WATCHING LMFAO

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 23, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Why?
Hasn't he hogged the ball enough, and now you want him to take one home?

I qualified it to "this one."

When a guy plays well, he deserves credit. When he doesn't, he deserves blame.

He played well tonight.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 23, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

He won the game you loser... his patience (or his dribling like you call it) has given a 5'5 guy plenty of layups during the season and open shots for teamates. Get a clue you nolife never pleased moron!

Posted by: adisli | December 23, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Good win against a team that is tough to beat at home. Glad they were able to build on what they did last night.

Posted by: cannontl | December 23, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I have them going 7-8 since nobody knows when Miller is coming back.

That puts them at 12-18 with 52 games left.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

All the Wizards have to do is win 2 out of the next 3.

Who am I the Amazing Kreskin?

I confess that usually after the first couple lines I'm pretty sure I already know what you're going to say. So I skip the rest. I mean, if I already know what you're going to say -- because you've said it a hundred times -- why read it?
That's probably true for a lot of us here.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 20, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I knew you were going to say that.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 21, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

My Christmas present to all of you is to have Samson151 make my posts for me (since he knows me so well) for the next week while I hang out in Cabo for the holidays and I will have a few Bacardi 151’s just for you.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Peace,

bulletsfan78

PS you didn’t see that one coming did you?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 23, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Saw it coming a mile away.

Have a safe trip!

Posted by: and_1 | December 23, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

"PS you didn’t see that one coming did you?
Posted by: bulletsfan78"

Sure it's a Boast Post.

You like to alternate those with the Gloat Posts.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 23, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

This Boinkins offense is clearly sad.

You have 3 of the top guys on your team healthy and making about $45 mil combined, and you rely on a 5-3 guy over dribbling the ball against another sub.500 team for a win.

I guess that's better than Gilby's 7 turnovers.

Umberto was hailed as the missing piece of the masterpiece by EG before the season started. So far, zero impact on the team.

Whooppee.....where do I sign up for season tickets for the next 10 years?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Samson151

I meant the...

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 23, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

What is up with this schedule full of losing teams that Les BouleS are playing?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

It's called the NBA where 18 of 31 teams have a losing record.

Posted by: ptp23 | December 23, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

"It's called the NBA where 18 of 31 teams have a losing record.

Posted by: ptp23 | December 23, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse "

Which is why the season needs to be condensed from 82 games.

Surely no need for a max 7 game first round in the playoffs.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse