Wizards' morning brew: another heartbreaking loss

Happy Holidays. The brew is back after a short Christmas break. Last night the Wizards lost to the Memphis Grizzlies in overtime, 116-111. Michael Lee notes in his post-game wrap-up that Washington is the only NBA team this season to have two games decided on fouls committed with less than one second remaining.

Off the court, D.C. police are investigating the circumstances surrounding Gilbert Arenas taking guns to Verizon Center earlier this month.

Here is the Washington Times' Mike Jones' take on last night's game, for the newspaper and on his blog.

Below are highlights, courtesy of NBA.com:

Around the League ...

There were seven games on the schedule last night, highlighted by the Warriors upsetting the Celtics, the Suns scorching the Lakers and Kevin Durant scoring 40 points in Oklahoma City's beatdown of New Jersey. The Wizards face the Thunder tonight at Verizon Center.

Here are last night's highlights, via NBA.com's Daily Zap:

By Alexa Steele  |  December 29, 2009; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Grizzlies 116, Wizards 111
Next: The Other Side: Oklahoma City Thunder

Comments

Unbelivable, while Gasol, a 68% FT shooter, made all of his FTs (two at the end), our two all-stars (Jamison and Arenas) each missed critical FTs near the end.

Posted by: sagaliba | December 29, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

This team lacks the requisite personnel. Last night's game illustrated how they're manhandled and outrebounded by stronger, more physical teams.

Tonight's game will show how they get outrun and out-finessed by younger, faster, more athletic teams.

They're simply a bunch of "tweeners" whose weaknesses get exploited on a nightly basis.

Blow it up! Oh, that's right, it's been said already. But it's true.

That said, Gilbert or whoever else is playing PG should be forbidden from bringing the ball up and jacking up a jumper without ever passing the ball. That must be a real morale-killer for the rest of the guys, even when the shot goes in. Why knock yourself out running the court when the guy is hogging the ball?

Posted by: shovetheplanet | December 29, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Had to turn it off when they went down by 10 with around 5 mins left. Knew they would make a run, but had the feeling it would still end badly.

Don't know if it's new news, but there was an interesting blurb buried in this article about Tracy McGrady on the four-letter today.

Posted by: ts35 | December 29, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I've heard those Mcgrady rumors. Don't really know how he would help the Wiz. Mcgrady is always hurt.

Posted by: millineumman | December 29, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

My bad, apparently the Arenas for McGrady discussions were already reported over the weekend. I had a thought about trying to trade for McGrady a while ago, but it involved AJ + whoever, instead of Arenas. I don't think they would do that either, AJ is older and not a tough defensive minded player like the rest of that team, but it might give them some veteran scoring off the bench for the playoffs. If you package it with someone like James or Mike Miller, the Rockets still get some cap relief and the Wiz get the chance to start going in a different direction.

But certainly the Rockets will be able to find much better deals out there than either Arenas or AJ.

Posted by: ts35 | December 29, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm with sagaliba about the free throws and shovetheplanet about the tweeners comment. But it wasn't just Gasol, it was Randolph making two key free throws. And it wasn't just Gil and Jamison missing free throws, it was also Haywood missing them.

Not to mention the rebounding troubles. Jamison is a decent rebounder but he just couldn't handle Randolph. Butler tried to help out with Randolph but its getting to a point where Jamison is just hurting the team when he's out there - whats with those two crazy runners in OT. Blatche should get more play. I like it when Haywood and Blatche play together, but it hardly ever happens anymore.

Posted by: tedunni1 | December 29, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

FATIGUE - mental and physical. How does an experienced coach like Flip Saunders not realize he is overplaying the first unit? Come on, over 40 minutes each and for Caron almost 50 minutes?
I blame this one on poor coaching.

Posted by: rickgonz | December 29, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

McGrady would help the Wiz only in allowing them to ditch Arenas's big contract. McGrady's contract is up at the end of this year, so the Wiz would have room under the luxury tax cap to go in a different direction.

Posted by: ts35 | December 29, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

McGrady would be desirable to the Wiz since he's in the last year of his contract and would give the team some flexibility this summer. It's not so much about him helping this year.

Posted by: tgif11 | December 29, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I cant get upset like others do over minutes. The Pistons guys use to play there top 5 big minutes every night. The reason I cant get upset is because the bench stinks it up when they come in. Flip doesnt want to do it, he has to. You can tell Gil looks tired but a minute later Im always like, "put Gil back in". Thats how the bench looks. It would help alot if we had Miller coming off the bench or somethign

Posted by: dlts20 | December 29, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

okay,

I don't quite understand all of the dollar for dollar trade rules, but if McGrady comes off soon I could understand that move.

Posted by: millineumman | December 29, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Flip's not even coaching. He puts the 3 out there for as many mins as they can possibly handle, does nothing when they (supposedly) ignore his instructions, and then hopes somehow we win.

anybody could do that, and this dungpile will get worse if he keeps it up and the 3 start to wear down as the season grinds on.

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

If the Wizards could 86 Areneas and his contract for McGrady, I don't know what the hell they are waiting on....

I would trade Gilbert for a ham sandwich..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Layups, Fastbreaks, Easy Shots, and IQ

Its like when it rains, it pours. If there is an even situation for both teams, we never come out on top. Even when its in our favor, we arent coming out on top right now. We are getting no easy baskets. Even when plays are there, we cant make them. There have been like 5 plays every game where you are sure that its an easy layup for us but we either miss it, get fouled with a no call, we get blocked, or a defender strips us like we are stupid. That crap is so frustrating. Then its always magnified because it usually ends up in a layup going the other way or a wide open 3. An instant 4 or 5 point swing that always kills us.

Then, what happened to our fast break. We were always like the most explosive team in the league and now we never get anything in transition. Gil doesnt take off as much anymore. He moreso wants to just scan the D instead of pushing it hard but he's starting to move faster with it. We should be getting alot more fast break oppurtunities with the guys we have. We have Gil & Earl with the rock and athletic guys on the wings. Foye is like the only guy who tries to get something in transition on the regular.

The bottom line is we need some more easy shots. Im glad we are finally coming around in this Offense because I was really starting to get worried that it doesnt fit with our guys but it still seems like what the Pistons fans told me about it doesnt work in the playoffs because its designed for all jump shots. Its seems hard for our guys to get to the rim. Its like too halfcourt and too deliberate at times. Then Gil is pretty much always at the top of the key so its easier to design a D to shut the lane down on him. In EJ's system, Gil would be on top and on the wings and everyone else would be in constant movement with alot of quick hitting plays.

This system is just so deliberate and then we have so many guys with scorers mentality that if you run a play for them, they automaticaly shoot it no matter what. That makes me so mad. Im always screaming that just because they ran it for you doesnt mean you have to instantly take the shot. If its not there then dont force it. Our guys B-Ball IQ is too low. Im glad Flip is getting on them about it where EJ didnt and I think Miller has a super high IQ so he will help but we have to make smarter decisions and make the extra pass. There are so many plays when I see a guy wide open calling for it but the guy with the ball tries to do it on his own because they have that scorers mentality.

Posted by: dlts20 | December 29, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I know Im the only one but there is no way I trade Gil after 30 games when he's coming back from a 2 year layoff and still putting up good numbers. This time next year he will be straight beasting. We have to give it time. I cant believe people would do that

Posted by: dlts20 | December 29, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Where is the depth that everyone was so excited about in the preseason. Player do not get better on the bench. That was the problem with the last coach.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | December 29, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I can see a bunch of talk later on in the year people saying that "remember when we were actually talking about blowing it up and trading Gil for T-Mac. How dumb would that have been? 30 games really wasnt that much considering all the factors. We shouldve seen it coming".

We have to be patient. How can people want to trade Gil the way he is playing right now. He's 2 years away from the game and in only 30 games he is playing very well right now in a brand new system. Imagine where he will be at the end of the season and this time next year for that matter. Then you want to throw in McGee? I could see us letting Wood go in the offseason and letting McGee be the starter

Posted by: dlts20 | December 29, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I agree with one of the posters above who think it would be at most foolhardy to trade Arenas so soon. If Ernie Grunfeld does something like that, then he needs to do as Vinny does, exit stage door left. I don't know what exactly is wrong with this team, but the answer is not Arenas. I am beginning to wonder if it is Flip. Hell, they played this bad with Tapscott. I thought a coach such as Flip would get better results out of this team but..........

I just don't know.

Posted by: ivyleague | December 29, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@dlts20,

Even THREE YEARS ago when Arenas was healthy he wasn't worth $111.

At this point you're talking Kobe, Lebron, Dwade, Carmelo, Nash, Garnett, money...

Areneas is just a talneted scrorer. That is it. He does not make the players around him better, he refuses to play defense, doesn't handle the ball particularly well, is a major distraction with his childish antics,and he is a CHOKE artist.

I have seen enough of the Arenas show. I would like to have a just an average point guard that knows how to make plays, get others around him involved, and is a vocal leader that will hold players accountable.

Like the kid you will see tonight Westbrook... Take a look...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@dlts20,

Letting Haywood go?? Are you nuts??

This team missed Haywood more than Arenas. I know you may have a hard time believing that but trust me, without Haywood this team would not even be ay 10 wins...

Dude get a clue..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

'Come on, over 40 minutes each and for Caron almost 50 minutes?
I blame this one on poor coaching.'

Did you see how the bench played?

Blatche was completely lost out there.

Saunders doesn't have a lot of options.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 29, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Letting Haywood go?? Are you nuts??

Dude get a clue..

Posted by: kevenjones

I SAY LET HAYWOOD WALK!!!

It is you that have blinders on because with the numbers haywood is putting up this year he will command top 10 Center Dollars now I dont know about you but I would never pay him that much money because the team can do way better than him for the money

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 29, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@rnorris6

Ok give me the list of 7footers who you will replace Haywood with? Im waiting..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"Letting Haywood go?? Are you nuts??"

Yes, and I support that.

Haywood is soft and is constantly beat down by guys *roughly* his size. He got killed last night. He's not the only problem but I am convinced that he's part of it. Be real, he's numbers are not so good for a starting center. He came out hot, but he's playing like Haywood now.

The other part is that centers are pulling Haywood out of the middle, leaving it WIDE OPEN for people to drive the lane. And they are doing so regularly.

Ok, AJ can't play defense and we all know that. But the amount of layups the Wiz are giving up are just crazy.

You can "blow it up" but I really think the Wiz need a new center and power foward. Trade AJ and Haywood while you still can. The Wiz aren't winning anything this year like this.

Note: while I have been tough on Gil this year, it's not his responsibilty to guard the rim. The Wiz are scoring enough points to win games, they are just giving up way more.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

agreed 110% dlts, too soon to pack it in on Gil. He appears to be slowly but surely getting better and you had to expect it could take 3/4 of a season or whatever.

Brendon is not very good and I hope we dont re-sign him.

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Ray, great point that BTH is constantly abused by guys his size. yet supposedly mcgee's big weakness is being muscled by thicker Cs.

Playing the youngs keeps the vets fresher and lights a fire under their azzes when they're being sorry

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so @rmcazz

Who you replacing Haywood with??????? Please tell me..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

If you want the answer to that question simply stop being lazy and check some of the earlier posts where that question was answered several times by other players nah here I save you the trouble and give you 1 LOL

Rphilli - the fact that you refer to this as Haywood's best season proves the point that he is a mediocre (at best) center who is good under the offensive board, but not much value anywhere else. that means he has exceptional skills for about 20% of the game.

And you can't exclude the most recent games, because those games are what is referred to as "regressing to the mean."

12 centers better than Haywood:

Brooke Lopez
Pau gasol
Odom
Bynum (any of them are better C's than haywood)
Marc gasol
Camby (he's playing Pf mostly now, but could beat Haywood at C)
Shaq (gets about the same numbers in 2/3 the playing time)
Howard
Kaman
David Lee
Amare
Al jefferson

And seven that are at least as good as Haywood and have way more upside (either cuz they are young or have the ability to have a 25/12/5 game):

Jermaine Oneal
Al Horford
Okafor
Bogut
Perkins
Bynum
noah

And then this doesn't even take into acct the guys that are about the same but may be older or already peaked like Boozer, Delambert, Dampier, Wallace, Okur - or guys that may not have proven themselves yet, but are much younger like Hibbert, Thabeet, Hawes.

So there you have it. At the peak of his career, there are at least 25 other centers in the NBA that are at least as good as Haywood is.

And you can just be glad, too, that Yao & Oden are injured, b/c that would be 2 more.

Posted by: Blurred | December 28, 2009 2:57 PM

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 29, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"Ok give me the list of 7footers who you will replace Haywood with? Im waiting.."

They have one: McGee. He already plays better defense then Haywood.

"And while you're at it, give me the list of QB's you're gonna replace Campbell with..."

Anybody. Campbell sucks and is part of the reason the Skins stink. When they give him time, he still throws the ball wrong. He can't throw deep. He throws interceptions deep in his own end of the field screwing the defense. He misses wide open guys. He fumbles the ball when he's hit. He doesn't call audibles. He holds the ball too long.

A few years back it was Collins that took them to the playoffs, not Campbell, and won 4 straight. Campbell plays those games they don't make it.

Look at the Jets. They got Mark Sanchez and look where they are now. Who is to say that Bradford won't be that guy next year?

It's not like it used to be in the NFL. A Rookie QB can make a difference.

I feel bad for Campbell...real bad. He looked TERRIBLE in that post game presser, I mean like some one just beat the crap out of him. But he sucks as a QB. Sorry.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"Who you replacing Haywood with??????? Please tell me.."

As in a FA or trade? We dont know who is available yet right?

What might he be like in 2-3 years when he's 20pounds more solid and knows the game better?

Gotta find out, that's why we drafted him

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

but this aint the place for that...

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

For the record Haywood is not soft. being slow and lanky and mechanical does not mean your soft. He is slow without explosion. We should all know the wizards don't like players that have explosion.

I would not give up on Gil and everybody that hates him is just star bashing. Although if you could rid yourself of the contract you have to explore that option.

I don't think it's the coach. It's not like the team has gotten worst.

I said before, I blame being disillsioned and content. Thinking a 42-40 6th seed in the weak east conf. was so good.

All the "This team is build to win now" garbage. If the Medium 3 can't get it done, there is no foreseable way to bring in new talent.

It's a good thing we drafted well and treated them like part of the team!

Oh wait???

Posted by: millineumman | December 29, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"I'd like to start getting Mcgee 10mins every night and build on it if he deserves it. By season's end, maybe you have your starting C for next year."

That's exactly what I am saying.

They aren't going anywhere like this, and you might as well see what AJ can get you in trade value.

PF and C is where the Wiz have defensive issues right now. If you are still building around Gil, then AJ is not getting any younger.

Someone else on here said they felt we are seeing the decline of AJ in his career and I agree. I love the guy, but his defense is losing more games then his points are winning them.

Haywood...his numbers aren't that great and his defense is average at best.

It's time, it really is.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Another dream dies unborn:

ESPN.com reported Saturday that the Washington Wizards had reached out to the Rockets in an exploratory manner about a possible Gilbert Arenas-for-McGrady swap, but Houston has no interest in such a deal. Arenas ranks as one of the league's most difficult players to move with four seasons left after this one on a mammoth $111 million contract and a history of knee problems to rival McGrady's.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"sanchez has had a terrible season and would be even worse playing behind the Skins oline rather than the Jets oline which has 4 first round picks."

He's also a rookie and has way more upside who is going to the playoffs. That's all I meant. :)

"For the record Haywood is not soft."

I think he is, he certainly looked it last night. Ok, let me give you this one: old stinky, fat, Shaq had 21 points on Haywood this year. Haywood should be at a point in his career where he is dominationg a guy like that but he's not. This is as good as Haywood gets. He sure talks a lot though doesn't he?

He goes against Krstic tongiht, we'll see.

Start McGee, what is it going to hurt?

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

PF and C is where the Wiz have defensive issues right now.
===========================

In all fairness I think the Wiz biggest defensive problem is the perimeter defense. i understand that it's the NBA and everyone is quick and athletic but we don't slow anybody up. They double and help D on anybody who touches the ball causing the imfamous pass to an open man.

Posted by: millineumman | December 29, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"For the record Haywood is not soft. being slow and lanky and mechanical does not mean your soft. He is slow without explosion. "

Six of one, half dozen of another. Doesn't matter what the cause is, the effect is the same. He's consistently out-muscled, out-hustled, and out-quicked by opposing players.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, that ESPN report is interesting if true.

Indicates - again if true - that they're looking to tear down the entire structure and start over.

Which, as is becoming increasingly clear, is what they'll need to do.

First the Skins and now this.

Let's go Caps, let's go Caps, let's go Caps.....

Posted by: SteveMG | December 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"Another dream dies unborn"

Gil's here to stay. They should have let that dude walk. Dumb to give someone $111 mil like that.

Saying that, if all Gil has to do is make his FT's that is fixable. The lack of defense this team is playing is something else.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"Let's go Caps, let's go Caps, let's go Caps....."

The boobs on NBC the other night said they saw more Ovie jersies in the crowd then Redskins ones.

I thought I would never ever hear that. I remember way back when they had "Save the Caps" going on around here.

Crazy.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

re: Shaq, 2yrs after the Big Whatever whipped BTH per usual, brendon said

"He's like playing your big brother, no matter what you do, you can never beat your big brother."

great attitude from your under30 center playing agianst an aging, out-of-shape, behemoth

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I didn't ask you for what Centers you think are better than Haywood. I'm not saying Haywood is a top 10 Center.

I'm asking you who is available for the Wizards to replace Haywood with??

BTW
1. Camby is a Forward but Brendans number's are better than his
2. Odom is a Forward but Brendans number's are better than his
3. Marc Gasol and Brendan's numbers are about the same

Brendan's Averages are 2blocks 10Rpg 9ppg. That's not bad.

McGee is not on the same planet as Haywood at this time. Trust me. Yes he is more athletic but McGee is clueless and too raw right now. I love McGee but he doesn't have a post move and is still too raw. Still he would definetly be backing up Brendan if it were up to me.

Gasol like 16
Bynum like 12.5
Shaq 20
howard 15
Amare 16

HAYWOOD 6 YOU IDIOT

So how you gonna make that happen with GA111 on the books @ 16,18,19,22 mil??

So I ask you again, who are you going to bring in to replace Haywood? Not who is better than Haywood? Who that is out there and available are you replacing Haywood with and how do you make it happen?

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

With any luck, a capped-out would-be contender in need of a serviceable C will show some interest in Haywood this summer, allowing the Wiz to pull off a S&T and get something useful in return.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Another dream dies unborn"

You can say it was a bad move now but hind sight is always 20/20 bu what is never brought up is the fact Golden State had a 107 million dollar offer on the table at the time we signed gilbert

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 29, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"but no doubt this team has a ton of other issues than haywood, i just dont think he's the solution to anything."

Nah, they do.

They are just giving up a HUGE amount of layups and the two obvious dudes are Haywood and AJ. Move them while you can, they aren't getting any younger and this team is going no where this year.

They haven't played defense in like forever, so this is nothing new.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

As far as Campbell, the Redskins better hope like hell Campbell re-signs with them...I know everybody's better, but same question, who are you going to replace him with???

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I wish he would've signed with Golden State...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"3. Marc Gasol and Brendan's numbers are about the same"

No, they really aren't. Gasol pulls down the same number of boards, but scores more than 5 ppg more, shoots a higher FG%, and dishes out (no exaggeration) almost 5 times as many assists.

Gasol is an actual offense-generating player at the C position, who opposing defense have to respect. Haywood is not. That is a huge difference

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"I know everybody's better, but same question, who are you going to replace him with???"

Well let's put it this way.

IF Shanahan is the next coach, he's NOT going to have Campbell as his QB. His offense starts with the QB. I have ZERO clue who that will be, but it won't be Campbell.

I am convinced they are going to draft a QB, BUT, I think it should be a OL myself.

Ok, back to the Wiz. :)

"You can say it was a bad move now..."

I don't have the link, but I was adamant that they should let that guy go on here. I don't care who you are, you don't give a dude with bum knees $111mil....ever.

The slap in the face was Gil saying it was a "discount." Yeah right.

I think $111 mil should get you a leader as well, which Gil will clearly ever be. Even Eddie Jordan said as much this year.

EG is great at trades, but really stinks at signing people.

"You list Shaq. You are just bored. Do you know how much $$ the other centers you listed make?"

I'm just saying who is better is all, regardless of $$$. And my argument for McGee is that he plays better defense right now then Haywood. The Wiz are scoring points, they just give up too many.

As Divi says it's deeper then that though.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"Haywood aint the problem. GA111 and players like Blatche/Oberto/Stephenson/Mike James are the problem."

James has played 1 game all season (which is 1 more game than most people expected him to play). How is he the problem?

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

He's saying $$$'s, not stats.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama

Where do you get your numbers from. Gasol averages 2 assists per game...wtf??? But Haywood blocks 1 more shot per game.

As far as his scoring, you can think your point guard for that. Haywood could easily average 5 more ppg if he played with a decent point guard.

again. get a clue

Wizards perimeter defense is much worse than it's interior defense.

So I'll tell you this. The Wiz would lose even more with Marc Gasol at the C. There...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"And my argument for McGee is that he plays better defense right now then Haywood."

Not really. He looks better on Sportscenter spiking shots, but he's not a very good 1-on-1 or help defender at this point (although he has shown improvement from last season, when he was awful).

And, really, the argument about who is better is largely meaningless at this point. Neither one is good enough right now to be a difference maker in winning games.

That the season is effectively over, Haywood almost certainly won't be re-signed, and they should probably find out what they've got in McGee before they have to make a decision on his future. There's a credible argument for playing him more, but it really has little to do with winning games this season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

They have enough offensive minded players, in fact too many. The wizards problem's are on the defensive end, and always have been on the defensive end...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Which brings me back to GA111. So what he scores 30 he can't guard shi*. He is worthless and is waaaaaayyyyyy over paid...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

"Where do you get your numbers from. Gasol averages 2 assists per game"

An obscure site called NBA.com

Gasol is averaging 2.3 APG. Haywood is averaging 0.5 APG. 2.3 is just under 5 times more than 0.5.

WTF indeed.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

This was hardly heartbreaking. It was simply the same old thing over and over. If the Wiz simply made their foul shots down the stretch this game never would have gone to overtime. The Grizz made theirs. The Wiz didn't. The Wiz stink at the foul line. They should do nothing but practice free throws for 2 straight weeks.

Same guys in at the end like usual. Flip Saunders is completely clueless or blind or both. He stinks as bad as the players.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"Haywood could easily average 5 more ppg if he played with a decent point guard."

That's pure nonsense. Haywood has no scoring touch at all. None. And he can only convert putbacks when he's alone under the rim. In fact, the first thing that a true PG would do differently than Arenas is stop giving Haywood the ball on offense when he's got a defender anywhere near him, because he's incapable of doing anything with it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama,

Oh, Ok then Haywood Blocks 50% more shots that Gasol...LOL

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, Ok then Haywood Blocks 50% more shots that Gasol..."

And yet, teams score at will on the Wiz inside.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

If they had an inside offensive presence, the Wiz would hit more of their jumpshots because the defense would be packed in more often, creating open opportunities outside. With no inside presence at all, teams feel free to stay in the face of Wizards shooters and basically dare their big men to make them pay for it inside. Of course, they can't.

Basketball 101.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama,

Please call into the Wizards Post game show after the game 2nite, and state to Glen and Dave what you are saying about Haywood. Please do that for me.

Do you know the number?

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Haywood has bricks for hands. He can't catch a pass to save his life and can barely dunk. If any1 breaths on him he whiffs. He's a complete stiff.
And Jamison is what he is--Actually Dallas had it right. He's a sixth man. Not a starter. He plays hard but he's not a real good player and he's a horrid defender.
What a waste.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Look at the top20 centers in the nba ranked by minutes per game, and you find haywood at 19th in scoring- ahead of only 35yr old Ben Wallace (who avgs 3x more assists).

Offensively, BTH is basically the worst center in the entire league and that's the kind of glaring hole you cant have in your lineup and expect success unless the guy was a defensive MVP type player.

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama,

Again the Wizards problems are not offensive. They are DEFENSIVE... As well as the Choke Artist..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@dovelevine,

Jamison is by FAR the best player on the wizards roster......

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

just saw this dont know what to make of it lol

There has been considerable Internet chatter the last two weeks that Caron Butler's days with the Washington Wizards are numbered. There have even been rumors Butler, the former Park High School star, could be headed to the Milwaukee Bucks. That would indeed be a great move for the Bucks, who desperately need a prime-time small forward. Racine Journal Times

What's more, Butler has said in the past he wouldn't mind playing in Milwaukee and being closer to his family and friends. But don't look for Butler to be dealt anytime soon. I'm hearing Butler, a two-time NBA all-star, figures prominently in the Wizards' plans and could be with the team for years to come. Racine Journal Times

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 29, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@divi3,

The type of player you can't have on your roster and expect success is one that has an $111 million dollar contract, but can do nothing but score the basketball. That is the Biggest problem on this team, starting with the economics. Then that player HAS to be your leader and set the tone for your team each and every night or you have what we have.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

and btw, if Gil wasnt gift wrapping uncontested dunks for BTH our 34min per night starting C would be probably be scoring 5pts a night.

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@kevenjones

Again, you're wrong. The Wizards have problems on both ends of the court. But since they're a team built for offense, the offensive problems are more glaring. They get no easy shots because they lack any kind of inside scoring presence (either a low post player, or a consistent penetrator off the dribble). As a result, they take too many forced, contested jumpers and hit a low percentage of them. The long shots lead to long rebounds which trigger the opponents' fast break, resulting in easy baskets at the other end. If they had an interior scoring threat they could play more half-court ball, slow the pace of the game, reduce the number of long clankers, and limit the opponents' fast break opportunities.

Basketball 101.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

divi3,

And the other centers in the league create their own shots...wow

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama,

WOW..The Wizards offensive problems are more glaring than their defensive issues??

Come'on Man....

You are the only person I have ever heard say that.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama,

Here you go:

The Wiz average:99.4 ppg
The opponent avg: 102.7 ppg

The answer is not to score more point. The answer is to hold the opponet to under 99.4...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

That's probably because you don't listen very well.

They're a bad defensive team. But short of turning over the entire roster, that's not going to change because the team is filled with offensive minded players. This group of players is not going to give you lockdown defense, so complaining about them not doing it is wasted air. But if they played better, more efficient, more under control offense, it would automatically limit the opponents chances for the easy baskets that continually kill the Wiz. An inside scoring presence in the half-court is a one-off change that could facilitate that. There is no corresponding individual upgrade change that would significantly improve the defense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"They get no easy shots because they lack any kind of inside scoring presence (either a low post player, or a consistent penetrator off the dribble). As a result, they take too many forced, contested jumpers and hit a low percentage of them. The long shots lead to long rebounds which trigger the opponents' fast break, resulting in easy baskets at the other end. If they had an interior scoring threat they could play more half-court ball, slow the pace of the game, reduce the number of long clankers, and limit the opponents' fast break opportunities."

Well, that's a pretty good exegesis of what we're seeing on the court most nights.

Which is why when the Wiz' shots are falling, they have a chance to win, and otherwise they don't.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"The answer is not to score more point. "

Depends on what the question is. If the question is "How do you win games?" I'm pretty sure the answer is, always has been, and always will be, score more points than the opponent.

There are a multitude of ways to accomplish that goal.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Defense wins championships. Defense wins games. So until this team plays better defense, no one said anything about lockdown defense, but better defense, you have what we have.

And it starts on the perimeter. This team has loss way more games leaving a player out the 3pt line alone than anyting that is occuring on the inside.

Did you just start watching this year??

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

>>Jamison is by FAR the best player on the wizards roster......

If you think that, then the Wiz are in real trouble and it's gonna be a real, REAL long season.

However, I completely disagree and would get rid of Jamison at the drop of a hat. He has been Killing the Wiz for years. Plays No D, takes 25 shots to get his 20 points, never passes it and shoots a horrible percentage.
Like I said, the Mavs had it right, he's a sixth man at best.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"Defense wins championships. Defense wins games. "

Nice try.

As everyone knows it's "Offense wins games, defense wins championships."

And, at this stage, winning games--any games, any way, any how--is item number 1 on the Wizards' priority list.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@dovelevine,

Then who is the best player on the roster?

And I don't think it, I know it. He averages 20ppg and 10rbg...Yeah

But I want to know whom you think the best player is..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"This team has loss way more games leaving a player out the 3pt line alone than anyting that is occuring on the inside."

Which further shines the light on your boy Haywood's deficiencies, doesn't it? He's supposed to be the interior stopper, right? If that were true, they wouldn't need to (A) rotate into help inside or (B) play off the other team's perimeter shooters to cut off the driving lane, which are the main reasons why they give up so many outside shots.

And whenever they do chase someone off the line, of course, they get to the rim with little-to-no resistance.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama,

And the only way they will win is if they play defense and get stops at the end of the game.

Or did you not see the stat line last night? They scored 111 and still loss.
Gil had 30 Caron 24 Jamison 24. They had 5 players in double figures and loss and the Wiz out rebounded the Griz by 7...

It's defense nephew. DEFENSE...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

As I've already said, playing more efficient offense will lead to better defense, by cutting down on long shots that create run-out opportunities that are hard to defend. It's not a coincidence that the best defensive teams (San Antonio, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit during their run) all play slower half-court offense predicated on controlling the pace of the game and limiting opponents' opportunities. Good offense leads to good defense. Bad offense leads to good offense for the other team.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

In order to win a chamionship you gotta win games don't you?

Dude it's not Haywoods fault that the guards and forwards don't play defense.

Show's how little you know. The help is not coming because Haywood needs help, it's usually Antawn...

But you write nicely just don't know what you're talking about..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Dude they are not losing these games because of run out opportunities. They are losing these games because they are not making stops in half court sets at the end of the games. And GA111 is personally responsible for at least 3 losses all on his own due to free throws/turnovers.

How many games has Haywood personally loss?

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"The help is not coming because Haywood needs help, it's usually Antawn..."

Wow. That's just stupid.

Is Jamison the one defending the rim while the wing players are defending on the perimeter? Uh . . . no. Is Jamison the one with the responsibility of closing down the lane if a ball-handler beats his man? Uh . . . no. That would be the C who, last I checked, was Haywood.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards must lead the league in OFFENSIVE FOULS. Why can't Flip get them to stop committing these foolish fouls that waste possessions and keep inferior teams in games that we should win easily. Every time the Wizards are on a fast break, I just CRINGE!! They either run into a defender without looking or get the ball stripped. DON'T THEY WORK ON THESE THINGS IN PRACTICE???

Posted by: paulstutz14 | December 29, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@dovelevine,

Waiting on the answer for who the Wizards best player is??

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"They are losing these games because they are not making stops in half court sets at the end of the games. "

You do realize that the game is 48 minutes long, right? And that the things that you do or don't do in the first 47 determine what happens in the final 1? No, I guess you don't.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

kevinjones, if you think the big problem is defense i'm not sure how you see jamison as "by far" the best player on the team

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama,

So if you could get rid or Arenas or Haywood you would choose Haywood?

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

>>But I want to know whom you think the best player is..

First off, his 20/10 stats, like I said, are completely deceiving. He takes all the shots. If Nick hoisted 30 shots a game he'd be averaging a lot more than Jamison. Second, as far as rebounds go, Jamison is a horrible rebounder. He plays underneath the basket so he should get way more than 10 a night. He rarely jumps anymore. And I watched on one possession the other night against the Wolves where they got 3 straight offensive rebounds on one possession while Jamison was underneath the basket and just looked on helplessly.

Finally to answer your question, I would rather have Nick, Miller, McGee, Blatch, Boykins, Butler, Foye and McGuire all on the floor instead of Jamison. Do they have better stats? Of course not. Jamison is the ball hog. Do they play with more energy and given the chance help the team more? Definitely.
The only reason we won against the Bucks is because Arenas got hurt and left the game. Without Arenas and Jamison in there, this team could really make some strides if only Saunders would give Nick, McGee etc. more playing time.
I wouldn't mind Jamison coming off the bench as a sixth man, but as a ball hog starter, along with arenas, these 2 are killing the Wizards.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@divi3,

Jamison's defense sucks but he is the best player the Wiz have. If you use that as an argument than Arenas damn sure ain't the best.

Jamison is the more consistent & durable player on the roster. Period. And he attempts to be a leader but that's made difficult when you have Agent Nutcake anchoring the ship...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

At least they were winning when EJ was here,Ernie has screwed this whole situation up but that's karma for you, EG went to Abe and lied about EJ and had Andray and Brendan(two career underachievers back him up) so there you go Bullet fans like i've said EJ got em to the playoffs two years in a row w/o Gil let's see Ernie and Flip pull that feat off(with Gil) nothing against Flip(except he can't coach) but EG is a joke as a GM and as long he's here we'll never win.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 29, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@dovelevine,

If what you say about Jamison taking all the shots were true they would be winning because he shoots 48%. But GA111 takes all the shots..

Antawn is a much better/smarter/consistent player than all of them. I could see you saying Butler but everyone else...give up

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

>>Jamison's defense sucks but he is the best player the Wiz have.

Plus if our so-called best player is a horrible defender and an erratic shooter, again, we've got a pretty sad roster. And that my friend lays at the feet of the general manager.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@dargregmag,

I do agree with that. But... Haywood was a major role in them returning to the playoffs both of those years...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"If Nick hoisted 30 shots a game he'd be averaging a lot more than Jamison."

he takes 16 shots a night and is shooting 52% from 2pt range, which is higher than ZRandolf, Bosh, Dirk, and some other 'names'

"Second, as far as rebounds go, Jamison is a horrible rebounder. He plays underneath the basket so he should get way more than 10 a night."

no PF in the league gets "way more" than 10 every night. To say AJ is a "horrible" rebounder speaks to you not liking him not his actual play

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"nothing against Flip(except he can't coach)"

haha! good one, thx for the laugh

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

And let me add this about Jamison/Haywood/Butler and everybody except Agent Fruitcake..

After I spent my hard earned money and the season was decided last year, Jamsion played hard in 81 games when he could've packed it in. Haywood came back and played the last 10 games which were meaningless. But Antwan showd real character last year and as a paying fan I have alot more respect for him and the rest of the wizards.

GA111 most nights wasn't even professional enough to sit on the bench @ home. And that's your leader. Then has the nerve to say after the season, it's time to get serious....

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

This team would've faired much better under Eddie Jordan than Flip's system. That speaks to Coach Jordan's coaching ability.

But Gil is running the show so here we are held hostage. I would've let him walk once he made the comments about if they don't resign Jamision I'm not coming back....

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

EJ isnt exactly lighting it up in Philly.

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

>>Nick, Miller, McGee, Blatch, Boykins, Butler, Foye and McGuire ...GTF out of here..

Before I get outta here, let me clarify I didn't say they were better players than Jamison, though given the chance, a few may prove better, I said I'd rather have them on the floor. we've seen Jamison on the floor for the past few years at crunch time and how did that turn out, with and without Zero. I would be willing to bet that with Zero and Jamison on the bench, the Wiz would play a more complete team game and be a better team with a better record.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"And you can also think Agent Nutcake for Eddie Jordan being fired. He had the juice to not let that happen if that's not what he wanted."

HA! Now you've gone completely off the deep end.

Hey, I heard Arenas was seen running away from the grassy knoll after Kennedy was shot.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@divi3,

He light it up here didn't he. He was the most successfull coach in team history, except 78.

Don't forget we only won 25 games Coach Jordan's first year. I guarantee you the sixers will be fine next year. That princeton offense takes time to learn..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW Jamison's free throws or more to the point, his free throw misses are killing us. He is shooting 68%. SIXTY EIGHT PERCENT!!
That aint getting it done cause he's going to the line more than anyone. And if you're losing most of your games by 3 or less points and you're main foul shooter is at 68%--well I rest my case.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

gil is the only player capable of scoring 30 on a nightly basis, while there doesn't seem to be a single player out of our top 8-9 guys who really plays any defense. I doubt the wiz would even be close in some of these games if not for Gil's effort. Is any human being worth 111 million to watch them play basketball? I don't think so. The contract might get you a lil stiff down low, but fareal it ain't changing so get over it. Gil has made improvement IMHO since the season started.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama,

You don't think players that are paid $100 mil have say so on the coach??

Shows how little you know.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"If another team's sixth best player is our best player, in your opinion, then therein lies the problem with the Wiz. Plain and simple."

Agreed, and that's the problem here.

EG keeps saying "three all stars" but as someone said on another post on this blog it means nothing when they are all role players, even as all stars.

I like AJ but it's time to say "goodbye" or he's not going to be worth anything for trade.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@lilhollywood10,

Kobe, Lebron, Carmello, Howard, Shaq, Chris Paul, Garnett, Dwade all worth that money.

They made the playoffs 2 consecutive years without Arenas. What the hell are you talking about??

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

One thing: I'm tired of having people refer to Arenas' $111M contract as if he got it all in one year. It's over 6 years!!!
Arenas and Jamison just exchanged salaries per year. Jamison was earning about $16M a year and Arenas less than $11M/yr just a few years ago.
The Wizards actually paid less in the 2008-2009 and will pay less this year 2009-2010 for the duo than they did in 2007-2008 before the new contracts.
This year, Arenas earns $16.1 and Jamison earns $11.6M. Arenas isn't even in the top 10 paid.
Tracy McGrady earns over $23M this year as the highest paid player, and there are rules as to how much a player can get. So for example LeBronBron earns about $15M because he's been around the leagues less years than Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant or Jermaine O'Neal.

Posted by: rickgonz | December 29, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"You really believe if Gil goes to Ernie and says I'm going to bat for Coach Jordan, we need him, he's still here?"

That presumes that Arenas was consulted beforehand. I'm 100% certain he wasn't. And after the decision was made, it didn't matter what Arenas had to say.

"Shows how little you know."

The only thing I know little about is how you manage to fire up enough synapses to get your fingers to work the keys on your computer.

Jordan and Grunfeld didn't get along and had very different opinions about how the team should work. That's common knowledge going back years. Jordan was not Grunfeld's guy and Grunfeld wanted him out so he could hire his own coach. Jordan probably would have been let go a year earlier, except he managed to somehow drag the team, minus Arenas, into the playoffs, pretty much forcing Grunfeld into offering him a contract extension that was plainly obvious he didn't want to offer.

Jordan was done. The 1-11 record was just a convenient excuse.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Just posting rumors. - Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the history lesson on Grunfiled/Jordan. Breaking news there..LOL

I'm just saying Gil could've prevented that. Trust me.

But that's Gil. He underminded Coach Jordan way before it got to 1-11.

But trust me he could've gone to bat even if he chose to do it through the media if he want'ed Coach Jordan here. We all new he would be fired way before it actually happend. I think I spend a little more time around this team than you do..lol

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

An NBA executive says the struggling Washington Wizards are “open for business” for trades. The source said the Wizards are obviously very open to moving guard Gilbert Arenas, but don’t think they will have any takers because of his hefty contract. “Someone will take the fall,” the source said. The source added that Washington management “loves” young center JaVale McGee and would only deal him in a trade that includes Arenas. Yahoo

Posted by: rmcazz | December 29, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

And what does Arenas and Jordan's relationship have to do with the price of tea in China? Much like his salary, it's utterly irrelevant to the team's performance now. Jordan had gotten all there was to be gotten from this team. There's no reason to think the results would be much different if he were still around. Had he been capable of pushing them further, they wouldn't have had a 1-11 record when he got canned.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I promise you ANY NBA executive would move Arenas first (IF he/she could) because his contract for what he delivers is silly.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

So, again, other than desperately digging for dirt to smear on Arenas, what's your point? (Rhetorical question, BTW. I think we all know the answer.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"I think I spend a little more time around this team than you do."

Yeah, right. Another "insider" who spends all his time bit$#ing on the Internet. Please.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@kalo_rama,

You are CLUELESS. Pay attention. They were 1-11 because Haywood was hurt. Had nothing to do with Arenas.

So what it all has to do with is now we got a new Coach/new system and we have what we have now.

And had Arenas made his free throws they would've gotten further...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

oy vey! Looks like you al have had fun here while I took a nice leisurely 3 beer lunch!

Kevin, my man, you are in over your head here. You keep making contradictory arguments.

on the previous post, you said:

Depends on what Haywood wants but I would resign him @ 9-10mil a year...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 12:26 PM |

But then here complained that all the guys I listed yesterday were being paid so much more. You also failed to tak into acct that haywood will be getting at least a 3 yr contract but probably a 4 or 5 yr contract. That means, with escalation you'd be paying a 34 yr old, who's career year was 3 years past and who's career year was only average by NBA center standards, 14 mil a yr to bring you ????

Let me use the analogy of going to the gas pump. you have 3 grades: Reg is $2.69 at 87 octane; medium is $2.82 at 89 octane; and premium is $2.89 at 93 octane. Most cars do just fine geting you from here to there on regular. The supercharged performance cars need and pay for the premium. Only the suckers pay for the medium because you are overpaying for a small amount of extra octane and the extra isn't enough for a high-performance car, anyway.

In case it isn't obvious, what I am saying is either pay up for a real performer or let's just play a bunch of young, cheap guys who will get us the same performance as Haywood, but at a much reduced price.

*****

Then you talk about how Haywood was so sorely missed last year, yet we are barely doing better this year, even though he is back.

You can love on Haywood all you want, but he will never part of a high-performing Wizards team. I'd say never be part of any high-performing team, but he might do OK somewhere like Cleveland, where all he has to do is clear the lane once in a while.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

No one had to dig to smear Arenas. He does a good job of that on his own. I haven't mentioned one personal issue here have I?

I'm just a very angry season ticket holder who will demand more from the new ownership than what I'm getting..Get it.

I doubt you do. Wanna go 2 a game?

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

@Blurred,

How did I contradict myself. I stand by my statement that Haywood is one of the most valuable pieces this team has. They made the playoffs twice without Arenas and they are losing now because of Arenas more than anyone else.

You get excited because you see 30 pts. I don't. I see everything else but the 30 pts. Like the missed free throws (and that includes Jamision), and turnovers, poor shot selection, lack of leadership etc..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

>>The source added that Washington management “loves” young center JaVale McGee

Yea I can tell by all the PT he's been getting. Boy what if he wasn't liked--what would happen? They wouldn't let him sit on the bench?
Gimmie a break.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"They were 1-11 because Haywood was hurt. Had nothing to do with Arenas."

You're insane.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

And now you say that Arenas missing one FT was why we lost, yet Haywood missing 3 doesn't matter?

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"Looks like you al have had fun here while I took a nice leisurely 3 beer lunch!"

Well, drinking in the afternoon would certainly explain some of the nonsense you posted.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"I'm just a very angry season ticket holder who will demand more from the new ownership than what I'm getting."

Anger is no excuse for stupidity.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Guys,

This team made the playoffs two years in a row without Arenas, true or false?

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll be at the game tonight folks but it'll probably be my last one in awhile unless something changes.
BTW some1 mentioned that McGrady probably couldn't help the Wiz. Yes he could--with his expiring contract. Time to enter the new era, get rid of some of these garbage contracts--Jamison, Arenas, blow this up and move on.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

>>Without Brendan Haywood this team barely wins 5 games this year. I'm telling you.

You're kidding right??!!

Posted by: dovelevine | December 29, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

And now its Jamison's FT %? He hit 83% of his FTs last night...Haywood 40%.

But wait, your contradicting yoruself again...saying that Jamison is the best player on the team, yet it's his fault we lost for missing 16.6% of his FTs.

As I've said, I am open to any changes this team wants to consider involving any player. But Haywood is a loser and a less than mediocre center and is quickly approaching a downward slide in his already limited abilities. Why keep him around? I doubt we could really trade him for too much, but would love to try. If we can't. let's just let him walk and put out money and effort into trying to find an exceptional center and damn the cost.

Even if, and I strongly disagree, Haywood was the reason we went to the playoffs those two years, that was when he was 27-28, the peak performance years for most Centers.

Let's cut Haywood's minutes by about 7-10 mpg and let Javale pick those up. Then cut Jamison's minutes by about 10 and move Blatche to play those minutes and get Javale up to about 10-15 a night.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"This team made the playoffs two years in a row without Arenas, true or false?"

False. The year Arenas got hurt they'd basically already locked up a playoff spot before he went down.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm not suprised that players like Antawn as well as Haywood are not appreciated.

And let me tell you. Even 3 years ago I HATED Haywood. But he has really improved and is a decent Center, especially at 6 million a year.

I know you guys Love Arenas because he can score and that is exciting, but we are better off with a solid PG who doesn't turn the ball over, and can make free throws. Gil's mental toughness/focus is just not there and I don't know if it will ever be...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Good Point...but since my first post since lunch basically agreed with what you were saying about how haywood is a less than mediocre player, I can't say that a beer an hour befuddled me too much!

Kalo, Haywood is like the one subject we agree on.

Wait, I must be drunk...I miss BF78.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

They were able to make the playoffs despite losing Arenas..

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I know you guys Love Arenas because he can score and that is exciting,
----
I don't love Arenas, just find it hard to fathom a scenario in which we can get rid of and be in a better position than we are now, given the weight of his contract.

*****
----

The one thing you have said all day that is perfectly sensical. I think we are in a position where we have to wait it out and hope that his toughness, abilities and focus return. Meanwhile, let's improve what we can around him...like Haywood.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Kevin Kevin LOL I am sure glad you are not the GM of the wizards because granted Haywood is a servicable Big BUT he will not be worth the money he will probably command as a free agent next year and put it all in perspective he is playing in a contract season and wil revert to form after he has his new fat paycheck!!! I am of the belief of letting Haywood go and give McGee a chance to show what he can do but at the same time looking to aquire a free agent Big to compliment him if the management feels Mcgee has a fduture here in Washington. Just my opinion dont come back asking me who I would get cause it makes no differance what I think its up to the owner and Gm to decide that LOL

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 29, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Blurred,

My bad. I thought that "beer" thing was actually posted by kevinjones (I saw it at the top of a post of his you quoted; I though it was part of his post, not your response).

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"In 2006-2007 they had not yet made the playoffs when Gil decided to show up late and therefore was not started in the Game that started his insuries...

They were able to make the playoffs despite losing Arenas.."

Like everything else you've said, I'm fairly certain that has no actual basis in fact.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Kalo...no worries.

Let me toss this out there for you all to chew on:

Suppose we do get to see a little Javale and realize he is what we thought - a strong athletic kid with excellent quickness and heart, but little training.

Would it be worthwhile to put Ben Wallace on a 1-2 year contract to play 10-15 minutes a game, but really give McGee the tutelage to become a real player? I mean besides FT shooting.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Well it's been fun. I'm off to the game. Can't wait to see what Haywood does tonight to help us lose..LOL

Talk to you guys 2morrow.

BTW. I think we'll lose this game.
They have a pretty good PG and a fella by the name of I think Durant??

Hope I'm wrong. But always happy when KD is home.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevenjones | December 29, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

no they didn't gil got hurt late during the season en route to the playoffs. they made the playoofs with him trying to come back in the season and shutting it down and last year when gil only played 1 ( or 2) game(s) AJ and CB held it down for 19 wins.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

guess i'm crazy, but it actually surprises me they tried to move Gil already. Lends more credence to the idea max money was Abe's doing moreso than EGs.

i think jamison's shoulder is more balky than he's letting on...he's the guy to trade, as much as i've always liked the guy and his offensive game.

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

KJ; I'd have to reluctantly agree about Gil, i think his best days are behind him(unless the injury theory holds true)2nd year back is usually when a player returns to form given this franchises luck i'd say no we need to get real about the future of this team we can't trade Arenas and i think as someone said earlier he's not coachable at least it doesn't appear that way face it as my 17 year old told me one day we're screwed!

Posted by: dargregmag | December 29, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I'll be at the VCU game tonight so will miss the game. I know I am a homer, but I'd love to see Larry Sanders put on a Wiz uniform.

Him, McGee and Blatche could really put the scare into some folks - 3 young, athletic 7 fters with wingspans over 7'6". Plus, larry can actually play some D.

Granted, they are playing East Carolina tonight, so...

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

If Ben Wallace plays another season, it'll be in Detroit. Period. I think he learned his lesson from the time in Chicago and Cleveland.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough...Just a random thought I had.

Who is there with toughness that might want to get overpaid foranother season or two AND would like to leave his mark on a young guy?

Jermaine Oneal was never considered the toughest cat in the league, but he knows the game and is a FA. he could actually contribute at least one more season, too.

Shaq is probably a no-go and he could still wrap up a tasty $12-$15 mil contract, anyway.

Wait, doesn't Otis thorpe have a year left on his DC obligation?

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

And from what I am reading from across the NBA via rumors and other online papers is the fact that almost everyone on the team even McGee is tradeable at the right price !!! LOL

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 29, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 29, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

As it should be!

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

At this point, the whole team is good to be gone. It's just a case of getting the right parts back. Trading a guy just to be rid of him is the kind of move they made in the Unseld/Jordan days, and no one wants to go back to that.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

it's official kevenjones is Brendan Haywood. Thx for stopping thru BTH, quick question, how did it feel to have Marc Gasol and Snacks Randolph eat your lunch last night?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Wait, doesn't Otis thorpe have a year left on his DC obligation?

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

What you guys don't like OLDberto anymore??????????

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

dang...you know its a tough case when Lilhollywood, Kalo and I all agree against you!

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

What you guys don't like OLDberto anymore??????????

Posted by: lilhollywood10

Yes I do like him and he is still a good complimentary player for a team that has a good system already in place not this 3 ring circus called the wizards

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 29, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

good call on kjones being Haywood! hopefully she stops by often, there are a few more things she needs to know

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to think about who would make a serious play for Haywood and unwisely offer him some big money. I'm not coming up with too many candidates, although Portland might want him this year. I wonder who they'd be willing to part with for a half year Haywood rental.

Posted by: mugsybol | December 29, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Lil - Otis Thorpe played bigger at 6'9" and 36 than Haywood does now.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mugsybol | December 29, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

maybe we could get Juwan Howard.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

pat chewing would be a good tutor for javale, one of the greatest Js on a C the league has ever seen and mcgee has shown a few flashes of having a nice stroke.

louis rogue is only a few blocks from verizon center, maybe a VIP pass could lure pat here..

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

tha holy trinity??????????I kid I kid

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mugsybol | December 29, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

i'd take a healthy pryzbilla over brenda any day, but ...............

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

louis rouge go-go lounge is tha greatest. we used to try to sneak in after parties at Gonzaga my senior yr. I doubt Pat'd be caught dead in a spot like that, but it's right up Every Day Dray's alley.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

" I would be willing to bet that with Zero and Jamison on the bench, the Wiz would play a more complete team game and be a better team with a better record.Posted by: dovelevine"

Well, that would leave Foye or Boykins at the point, Butler or Nick Young at SG, Butler and Miller at SF, Blatche and McGee at PF, Haywood, Blatche or McGee at center...

Call me crazy, but that's this year's NJ Nets. Or not quite that good.

Maybe by 'better record', you meant more losses and a higher lottery pick.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 29, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

there is still some choice talent up in the Rogue, or so i hear......

but that's old DC, probably be gone within the year

you just know Dray was floating around 5th&K late night his rookie yr, wondering what was up with all those 6'4" hookers. haha

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

tha holy trinity??????????I kid I kid

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

ha...just meant we 3 like never agree

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to have patrick work with our kid. Isn't he in Orlando working with Howard now?

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

last i heard van grundy (crypt keeper not fat man) was saying ewing wanted to be on the wizards staff, but that was way back before Flip was hired

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

LOL at all the fools trying to blame BTH for anything.

If not for BTH, this team would be blown out by even more points.

There would be no one in the starting 5 playing anything that resembles defense.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 29, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Ewing's looking for a head job. I don't see much chance of him leaving a good situation in Orlando to become an assistant here.

"i'd take a healthy pryzbilla over brenda any day"
Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap. We actually agree on two things, in the same day. Armageddon cannot be far behind.

Seriously, Pryzbilla is a beast defensively and on the boards. Plus, he has the best nickname in the NBA.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"Mason is a FA this summer, so we could have him back. I doubt he gets much contract this time.'

I'm glad you have the patience of a monk to wait one whole season to get some solid outside shooting coming off the bench on the outside chance that Mason would even be interested in returning to this hell hole of a franchise.

******

"Better than the guy drafted with that pick."

How so? What have Foye and Eminem contributed to the team so far?

Also, who's to say that EG would have drafted that guy, or even worse?

*****

"How would we know? we never see him. Strictly speaking though, I'd say about an inch and 15-20 lbs."

And deservingly so, he remains on the bench.

*****

"Who missed 2nd grade conjugation? Or are you a product of the DC school system? If so, its not your fault."

Sorry, but I was only going to talk about NY with the "has," but then there were more players such as DMac to add to the point, and that point is the lack of development of young talent, or maybe just lack of young talent period.

****

"AB is one of the best bargains in the NBA. No, he is not a top teir PF by any standard, and I have said he should not be a starter yet, if ever. But he he is a lanky 7'fter with nice touch who can handle the ball."

Best bargain is something that produces at a low cost....to date, he hasn't contributed because MeTawn throws hissy fits when he loses PT or AB gets lost in the shuffle when he gets in the game.

****

"I think about 5 GMs hired Dee brown over the years. As to where he is, maybe with Gil's woman?

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse "

So you feel that it's OK for Les BouleS to suck because other teams suck too?

What a fool you are.

Thank you...Good night.

FIRE EG...THAT'S THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 29, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe kevin Love is DCman?

naw...even KL made more sense than dcman.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I like Zilla, too, but don't pay much attention to him lately, I just figured he's been injured a lot and relegated to the backup spot when he is healthy.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

LOL at all the fools trying to blame BTH for anything.

If not for BTH, this team would be blown out by even more points.

Posted by: DC_MAN88

LMFAO ok so we would lose by 20 instead of 4 A LOSS IS STILL A LOSS IN MY BOOK

Posted by: rnorris6 | December 29, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Actually, before this recent injury, Przybilla had been pretty healthy the last couple seasons (I think he only missed about 5 games the last couple years), and started most of Portland's games because of Oden's injuries. He shared time at the C with Oden (when healthy) and Aldridge, but was pulling down about 9 rpg in only about 23 or 24 mpg. He's also pretty physical and quick off the floor around the rim (unlike some people I could name).

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 29, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

then lets trade em up! He had just dropped off my radar.

Posted by: Blurred | December 29, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

blurred = menopausal susan o'malley

hot flashes in the brain

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 29, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

"funny how dc_mann loves BTH so much. Rips management, ownership, and every player on the team...except his beloved brenda

Posted by: divi3 | December 29, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"

When teams lose, the majority of the blame falls on the highly paid "stars"...not the supporting cast.

BTW if you recall, it was MeTawn who credits BTH with being the defensive anchor and showing him, where to be on the court. Go figure.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 29, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse