Wizards' morning brew: benching the starters

Michael Lee describes the Wizards' 105-98 win over the 76ers, which included Gilbert Arenas scoring 31 points and Flip Saunders benching all of his starters during the third quarter.

Truth About It also goes into detail about the mass benching.

On his blog, Caron Butler says the Wizards are not giving up.

And here's one view from the other side of the street, via the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Below are highlights, courtesy of NBA.com:

Around the League ...
Nine games were on the schedule last night. Kobe scored 40 -- again (the sixth time he's scored 40 or more this season) leading the Lakers over the Trail Blazers. And the Rockets' Carl Landry dropped 27 points, fresh from embedding a few of his teeth in Dirk Nowitzki's elbow, as Houston beat the Clippers.

In New York, the Knicks defeated woeful Chicago. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports says the Bulls and Knicks Coach Mike D'Antoni are still recovering from his diss of the Bulls and their subsequent cheap coaching choice.

Here are highlights from all of last night's games, thanks to the Daily Zap:

By Alexa Steele  |  December 23, 2009; 10:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards 105, 76ers 98
Next: The Other Side: Milwaukee Bucks

Comments

What a hypocrite!!!
Jamison's the first guy to talk about doing what it takes to win, guys accepting their roles, minutes, etc., but as soon as "doing what it takes to win" means pulling him out of the game he's kicking stuff and sitting on the end of the bench pouting like a two-year old. Even after the game's over and they've WON, the best he can do is "No comment".
Get his whiny, low-basketball IQ, fast-fading, me-first butt out of here or force him to come off the bench and earn his minutes like the young fellas. That would send a message to everyone and would bring accountability back to that locker room.
Whatever it takes, right, Antawn???

Posted by: artiesliver | December 23, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

What?

You mean our respected "leader" is no "leader" at all? Shocking!

Posted by: 2020doc | December 23, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow! Everyone should read that story in the Philly newspaper. Brand talks about certain players having longer leases than other players under EJ. And Philly beat reporters reported that information and then follow-up with questions to the coach. Philly beat reporters are asking questions like that with just 25 games into a season. We couldn't get those kind of questions from our beat reporters with four years of EJ. Hell, they won't ask those questions of Flip now. I wish our reporters would ask Flip why it took so long to bench Stevenson? Maybe having another scorer out there for the Clips and Kings game may have given us more of an edge. And now Flip benches one non-scorer and starts playing another non-scorer in Oberto. He played 16 minutes and got 2 rebounds. I saw one of them which the ball bounced into his hands. I also watched Brand score at least 10 of his points easily over Oberto. He should not be playing over McGee. Come on Mike. Ask the some tough questions!

Posted by: 33dgriffin | December 23, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff 33dgriffin.

Coaching has always meant a whole lot in my book.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Didn't see the game...for some reason they didn't broadcast two losing teams out here in San Diego?

From reading the after game posts it looks like it's going to be a very long season for some of you.

I suggest you get some Abilify and/or Paxil to help you with your ups and downs for the rest of the year.

They beat another team that has a worse record than they do and that doesn't mean they have turned the corner. Given the incentive to beat EJ at home you would think it would have been a blow out like what happen to them in Phoenix?

I’ll wait till after the New Year before deciding if the Wizards have turned the corner..

Jan 2 vs San Antonio
Jan 5 at Philly
Jan 6 at Clev
Jan 8 vs Orl

They don’t have to win all of those games but they can’t get blown out either.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 23, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I have a lot of respect for twan hope he sees the light and is not one(me) dimensional. the flow changes with every line up change and with foye in (and healthy) it would be good for twan to be more of a role player, picks defense hustle, especially till his shoulder/s heal. his inside game is and has always been very important and can still go with bum shoulders. I think he will see especially if winning is his true dimension

Posted by: Rvf0509 | December 23, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I applaud Flip for pulling the starting five.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2009 8:37 PM

Just to show you guys I was first up with the applause for Flip for pulling the starting five.

I grew up with Dean Smith pulling the starting five when they fell behind in games. The Gym would go crazy and the subs always gave an energetic effort.

There mission was to at least keep the score at the same deficit or build on it. In most cases they made the score better, but energizing the Team and and the crowd always worked.

His second unit was always called The Big Blue.

I do not recall if it was used when Jamison played, because they stop using it as frequently.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Is there anyway we can trade for BOOZER. WOULD BE TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mepalmeryoshi | December 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"We must start with our own players first and not playing two of our bigs together because their talents don't align with other NBA players is silly. LarryInClintonMD"

Good thing that wasn't what I suggested. My point: that Blatche and Haywood aren't necessarily a good matchup with other clubs in the league. It's not a good matchup against what the Lakers or the Celts can put on the floor, for example.

McGee and Haywood -- that combo I don't see at all. Unless McGee starts hitting his shot more consistently.

Blatche and Haywood are both big but not especially quick or active. Seems to me if you put them against quick, active big men, they'd have real problems.

Both are skilled players, but I don't see them as a good combo against maybe 75% of the clubs in the league.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 23, 2009 11:30 AM

Wow. Samson151, I disagree, but however I hope we have a chance to see by Flip choosing to go big.

At least this is something that we can really see how it pans out if Flip would really try it.

If JM plays with BH, I can see all the criticisms of JM's play being minimized because he would not be playing the paint by himself thereby making his role easier.

BH and AB together has obvious advantages.

But where you keep going is comparing the pairing of our bigs to other Teams. That is the wrong way to look at it.

You must look at it from the point of view as to whether it makes the paint play stronger for our Team. If it does, then our Team is more successful.

I could care less whether the tandem is not as good as Boston's.

What works for me, The Wizards should be the only measurement.

Our record indicates that we must do the things that make our Team better and I assure our paint play now is crying for a remedy. That is one big reason why we lose leads.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyway we can trade for BOOZER. WOULD BE TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mepalmeryoshi | December 23, 2009 12:02 PM |

A Boozer deal is easy to make -- send Caron and Javaris Crittenton to Utah for Boozer. The hard part would be getting Utah to bite.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | December 23, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

However, this may be why Jamison was so pissed, because he of all the starters besides Haywood understood the full implications of Flip's move. Plus, Jamison is the Captain, so this was a double slap for him. If he did not have anything good to say when asked about it, I give him credit for shutting up about it.

I don't. That's passive-agressive BS that won't be missed by anyone in the locker room, especially coming from the supposed top leader. It would be ironic if Flip actually wanted to get mainly Jamison out of the game but pulled the whole starting 5 just to avoid bruising Jamison's ego, yet he's the only one wounded by it.

I guess you also give Jamison credit for kicking the ad banner instead of Flip?

Posted by: tgif11 | December 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys - so Jamison was pissed. Please don't make him out to be shady or something terrible. He can be upset or even have a bad game. He works hard every game even if he is not hitting. Before he returned from injury folks couldn't wait for him to return. I think he is still a good leader and he is currently playing in spite of being hurt. And he is normally good for 20/10 for every game. For God sakes give him a break.

I did love the idea of Flip benching the entire starting line up - he should have done it a long time ago! I just would like to see him give McGee

Posted by: HardCoreFan | December 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Did Flip Just Save Our Season?

When he benched the starting 5 and they came back in, I dont think I saw really one bad shot the rest of the way and they attacked the hoop and went forward more in the 4th then theyve done like the whole season combined. If we play like that then our O is hard to stop but these guys just want to settle for long contested 2’s and pass it around the perimiter. Hopefully this carries over and we start attacking, espically Gil. If Gil mixes in the hard drives with his outside game then he will score an easy 30 every night and the other guys will feed off his aggression

Posted by: dlts20 | December 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

the above post is what I wrote yesterday after last night’s game. This is how I feel about the Bucks game:

Some matchups always give us fits and the Bucks usually have some hard matchups for us but this game comes down to one thing and one thing only. Did the Flip benching really have a carry over effect? The starters were much more aggressive in the 4th, took the ball to the hoop or came forward the whole quarter, and I didnt see a single bad shot. If we play like that then we will win because Caron ususally plays well in his hometown, there 4’s cant guard AJ, and if Gil is right & aggressive then he should abuse the smaller Jennings & Luke. Dont bail them out by taking long J’s. If you drive on them then you will get a layup, a foul, or an open shot for someone else. The key matchup is Redd vs Foye & Young. That should be intersesting. I pray that this is one of those games where he doesnt just come off of screens and never misses. If he’s on then he’s very hard to stop with his stroke and him being a lefty no matter how good your D is, espically with him coming hard off screens.

The bottom line is this. Sooner or later we have to win one of these games. Its like every single time this year you thought we were turning the corner, we then get brought back to earth. We cant get any momentum going. Its the same thing for individual players in games. Its like no one can hit 3 or 4 shots in a row. Sooner or later it has to start clicking. Im nearly 100% sure we will beat the Wolves if we win this game so we need this win to make it 4 of 5 going into Memphis with a confident team and a finally confident Arenas. If you do that with Miller soon coming back then everything starts to change

Posted by: dlts20 | December 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I guess you also give Jamison credit for kicking the ad banner instead of Flip?

Posted by: tgif11 | December 23, 2009 12:19 PM

No, like I said I give him credit for shutting up about it. Nothing else.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"Elton and Marreese had it going a little bit offensively, so we were keeping the pace that way," Jordan said when asked why Dalembert didn't play more. "And you just hope that your guys defend a little bit better."

Quotes like that further let you know why I'm glad Eddie is gone. He talks defense, but when someone is slicing through the lane for layups repeatedly...he leaves the only person (Dalembert) who can change that...on the bench.

Let's HOPE they play defense. Add to the fact that he's weak anyway...good riddance.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 23, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I have one more beef. Why weren't our coaches and reporters talking about the bad calls we've getting. Screw the fine! I know there is always something you can say bad about the refs, but we've had three killer calls (two of them on our home floor) in the first 20 games that have cost us points in a game.

Last night, the refs took 2 points away on that foul that clearly happen as the ball was dropping threw the basket. Awful call!

In Sacramento, Caron got an offensive rebound (under the basket) with two other Wizards under basket and the refs took the ball away and gave it to the Kings because of a shot clock valuation. The ball clearly hit the rim. It was a clear two points they took from us.

Lastly the Indiana game. I know Gil should have made the free-throws, however, that still doesn't let the refs off the hook for making a horrible call. That's one game we'll never get back.

If Cuban was our owner I'm sure he would be letting the refs know that the bad calls will not be accepted. Our Wizards management needs to do the same thing.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | December 23, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Watched the game and kept waiting for the inevitable "fold." Thought it was coming at the end of the first half and beginning of second half when they went from +11 to -4, but they stuck with it and pulled it out.

Not the best win on record, but a solid effort accross the board.

What I liked:
No sixer had a "breakout game"
Flip used Boykins correctly - giving his spot play (allthough lots of it!)and using him as a spark.
Blatche Stepped up
Nick Made shots
We hit our FT's (mostly)
We held on to the ball (9 TOs!!!!)
The Line Change substitution

What i didn't:
Jamison's play (even though we were +8 with him in)
Haywood's play (as usual)
McGee stuck to the bench while Oberto gets 16 minutes
that late 2nd quarter sixer run.

All in all, it was a good game. Let's see if they bother to bring it tonight.

Posted by: Blurred | December 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess you also give Jamison credit for kicking the ad banner instead of Flip?

Posted by: tgif11 | December 23, 2009 12:19 PM

No, like I said I give him credit for shutting up about it. Nothing else.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2009 12:30 PM

You're too hard on Antawn, Larry. Give him the Carolina Blue discount and give him SOME credit for not breaking something on Flip's body.

Posted by: 2020doc | December 23, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I feel like we should be able to take this one tonight and get our "roll" going. However, I have big concerns about Bogut against our guys. Heck, I have concerns about Kurt Thomas against our guys.

but on the upside, I think jamison will feel he has something to prove and get 25+ and 10+ boards, Arenas seems to have found his rythm and NY is making good shots matter. Caron is playing his game.

If we can keep Bogut and Jennings to reasonable outings and keep the rest of their less than mmediocre players from having a career night (like Warrick's 20 last game against us) we should win this handily.

Of course, that all depends on whether our guys show up.

I am of the mind that Jamison was as mad at himself as he was at anyone else. With a day to think on it, he should (I know, I know) realize that he was not performing well enough for his team to win.

Hopefully he will use that as motivation to prove his postiion on the floor.

Posted by: Blurred | December 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Playing big, I assure will be a positive for us. We cannot look at other Teams and make the decision not to at least try it.
LarryInClintonMD"

OK, maybe it will help if we go through the teams in our div. Just three inside players from each --

ATLANTA: Pachulia, Horford, Josh Smith
ORLANDO: Howard, Lewis, Gortat
MIAMI: O'Neal, Haslem, Beasley
CHARLOTTE: Chandler, Diaw, Mohammed

I see one favorable matchup for Blatche/Haywood/McGee in that group...

Posted by: Samson151 | December 23, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

All of this drama over the benching of the starting five, or more to the point, the benching of Jamison is much ado about nothing. So what if Antawn is the team captain. Isn't Caron Butler a team captain? Flip sat Caron down the same time he sat Antawn down. If I recall, the Titanic had a captain too. And we all remember how that played out.

Winning fixes everything.

A little frontline "big man" tweaking is necessary. I prefer gradually integrating JaVale McGee into the mix at the four (with Haywood as the five). JaVale has a soft shooting touch for a big man. The Wiz are in a state of flux and have nothing to lose by giving this young talent a chance to show his skills.

Flip also needs to reduce AJ's minutes. Antawn is hurting and is clearly avoiding contact. Does McGee shy away from contact? Not hardly. You need that kind of Dennis Rodman-like presence when you match up against Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, Rasheed Wallace, etc.

Bottom line, winning fixes everything. This little dustup between Flip and Antawn will be totally forgotten once this team gets on a roll.

Posted by: musicmanjr | December 23, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

great show of character put on by our "vetran leadership". Gosh Flip if you hadn't pulled jamison and the starters we woulda won..........oh wait a...

BTW is NY starting to "get it"?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 23, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

It was interesting to see that in crunch time last night, Boykins was running the point with Gil off the ball. It worked but extended time for Boykins has its limitations especially for a team as weak inside as the Wizards. I think we should resign ourselves to the fact that Arenas will never be the type of point guard that can impose a disciplined set play when the moment requires one, Jason Kidd he's not. It would also help this team get out of those horrible stretches when the ball just swings around the 3-point line and someone jacks one up with a hand in his face if there were more jarring picks set for people who cut around them a little less leisurely. That's the first step to making Nick Young more like Rip Hamilton. (granted, a complex operation)

Posted by: mugsybol | December 23, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Jordan applied the same faulty criteria to Brendan instead of using what talents he has and facilitating them by giving him help in the paint.

LarryinClinton

So Larry, what exactly are his talents? I mean other than being 7'1" and playing like he is 6'9"?

******
I also believe that Aj will be gone shortly hopefully for a 2nd round draft choice and other considerations.
Posted by: mricklen | December 23, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

this is maybe the silliest post I ever read.

Really, a guy that can still average 20+ pts and 8+ boards for a second rounder? Are you nuts???

We should be getting a 1st rounder and at least one decent vet. That doesn't even take into consideration that we would have to get at least $12 million in player salaries just to make the deal work by the NBA's rules.

I thought you might be a reasonable person, but after that post, I am afraid I can never take anything you say seriously again.

Posted by: Blurred | December 23, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to have a center that knew how to set a pick.

Posted by: Blurred | December 23, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@mugsbol:

I'm feeling what you're saying. Gilbert Arenas isn't Jason Kidd. He's more of a shoot first guard. But, when he's on his game, he's a hell of a scorer. Boykins is a blessing and a curse. He clearly energizes the team and he is fearless. But, at 5'5" he is easily neutralized during switchoffs.

If he gets enought time on court with Gilbert, Nick Young could become the Reggie Miller/Rip Hamilton type off-guard with the deadly midrange jumper.

Posted by: musicmanjr | December 23, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD"

ATLANTA: Pachulia, Horford, Josh Smith
ORLANDO: Howard, Lewis, Gortat
MIAMI: O'Neal, Haslem, Beasley
CHARLOTTE: Chandler, Diaw, Mohammed

I see one favorable matchup for Blatche/Haywood/McGee in that group...

Posted by: Samson151 | December 23, 2009 1:21 PM

Samson151

If you analyze closely what you are saying you begin to see why I want two of our bigs playing together.

It makes us stronger in the paint to compete with the frontlines you mentioned especially now that we are trying to compete with them with one big in the paint and Flip just used Oberto at Center by himself.

Wishing for something we do not have is folly, but playing what we do have to get better in the paint to compete with other formidiable NBA lineups is something we should be doing.

Or would you rather just to keep beating our heads against the wall by playing one guy against these lineups you have pointed out.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Let's take a step back before we start hanging AJ out to dry he's a pro's pro he comes to practice works hard and gives effort night in night out trade him and see what happens when Gil was out it was AJ and Caron that held this team together while EJ was coach all of you "Armchair Auerbach's" are ready to hammer AJ when he shows emotion at least he cares and besides it wasn't like they were getting blown out i guess Flip was trying to send a message and maybe Jamison didn't appreciate it after all Jamison's playing with a bum shoulder and he's probably a little fustrated. Give AJ a break!

Posted by: dargregmag | December 23, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"this is maybe the silliest post I ever read. posted by Blurred"

Oh ye of little faith -- stick around, there are many, many more to come, from many, many sources.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 23, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

larry: "Now by your own evidence do you see now why I am indicating we need to get stronger in middle by playing two of our bigs that we have now."

Nope.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 23, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Given the starting Antwans's reaction to getting benched, here's an interesting read regarding Pat Riley getting on Wade for alleged poor conditioning. There's been too much enabling of this team over the years:

Pat Riley publicly questioned Dwyane Wade's conditioning as his numbers have dropped off a bit over last season. (He averaged 30.2 points, 7.5 assists and 5.0 rebounds a game while shooting 49.1 percent last season. Now he's averaging 26.6 points, 6.2 assists and 5.0 rebounds while shooting 43.2 percent.) Is Riley's concern legit?

Thomsen: There is nothing wrong with it. As a matter of fact, it is terrific. Wade wants to win (at least) one more championship, and the only way to get that done is to play at the highest level. How many team presidents or GMs would have the presence to criticize the best player months before he becomes a free agent? This is a signal to Wade that he is playing for one of the most ambitious executives in the league. If Wade signs with another team this summer, will he be held to the same high standard by his new boss?

This is why so few NBA teams ever have any hope of winning a championship: Few team leaders hold the best player to such high standards. Riley's constructive criticism provides Wade with another example of why he should re-sign with Miami.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/12/22/roundtable/index.html#ixzz0aXXeEdT2
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Posted by: jweber1 | December 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@dargregmag

Antawn doesn't get a pass.
Caron and Gilbert are both playing through injuries and they handled the benching like men.
If Jamison's healthy enough to be in the starting lineup, then nobody cares about his shoulders or his hurt feelings. Just get some rebounds, play defense and take smart shots. Simple right?

Posted by: and_1 | December 23, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Riley's constructive criticism provides Wade with another example of why he should re-sign with Miami."

Or why he shouldn't.

I'm pretty sure Chicago is going to be interested in Wade, and for large buckolas. So will the NY area clubs.

Outside of LeBron, who's more valuable?

I thought last year Wade carried Miami. I mean carried them. Picked them up, put them in his backpack, and lugged them all the way to season's end.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 23, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

and1: I think asking AJ to play D is beyond what anyone would expect. Get boardss and drop shots. That's his job. He wasn't doing much of either last night.

He was hitting his FT's though, so maybe a couple more drives to the basket would have kept him in the game.

Like I said...he is a competitor and over the years has shown that he will bring it as best he can 78 out of 82 games. I believe he was as frustrated with his own play the past couple games that got him benched as he was the actual benching.

If Aj comes with 30-10 tonight, Arenas gets 25-6-6 and Caron get 18-6-4-4, do we all call Flip a genius for the benching?

Posted by: Blurred | December 23, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HardCoreFan | December 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

the problem i have with jamison's reaction is that it's totall opposite of how he's handled questions about the young players. he'll ask a coach to break up a locker room seating arrangement cuz the young guys are havin fun. he'll talk all over espn about how some guys aren't focused because of contracts. he's quick to hang one of his teamates out to dry (as long as it's not caron), but when it comes his way he's all "no comment". Throwin hissy fits on the sideline Tawn i thought you were better than that.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 23, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | December 23, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse
We say he did his job Aj has been stinkin it up for the last couple games. The starting five as a whole needed a jolt. It's not like Phil sat the Lakers starters to motivate them. We got a losing team with a losing coach, who's starting to feel some pressure. It woulda been genius if he did it a week or two ago, but given his loyalties to the vets we all knew that wasn't happening. Last nights move seemed like desparation or extreme frustration, but it was not a stroke of genius by any strech of the imagination.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 23, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

It was a tough win over a bad team.
Maybe Flip pulling the starters got their attention.
Do you think that he didn't start NY so that he would be available to run with the sub team?
If the starters go into their game of playing like their wearing cement shoes maybe the next game he should start the subs.
I bet that would get their attention.

Posted by: VBFan | December 23, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mricklen | December 23, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

this is maybe the silliest post I ever read.

Posted by: Blurred | December 23, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I am so sorry to disappoint you but....yes Aj has great stats.
Now let's take a second and look at his trade potential. We got him from Dallas after he was the best 6th man the previous year...
Traded by Dallas with cash to Washington for Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner and the draft rights to Devin Harris in 2004.
That is a pretty big package in retrospect. But it really came down to Aj for Dv at this point. It is now 5 years later. Aj is 33 and playing with 2bad shoulders and no defensive interest. Also very difficult for vets to recognize the downside is in progress.
He is also a small forward in a power forwards body. Though can you imagine him trying to defend those many talented and dynamic 3's in thiis league. He does not defend but rather backs off and chases rebounds. Let me know the next time he wins a contested rebound.
I like him and think he is a class act for a ball player.
But his value is on the decline. Let's see what his value is on the market. I hope I am wrong and you are right. But we will not win with him playing 40 minutes at the 4.

Posted by: mricklen | December 23, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

musicmanjr:

I don't mean to imply that Gil has to change his style completely, or that the Jason Kidd prototype is the only way for a point guard to be. However, there are certain key posessions in which the shot clock needs to be milked, and something better than an isolation 1 on 1 shot needs to be taken. Simply put, there's a better chance that Boykins can bring that about than Gil. And that says a lot.

Posted by: mugsybol | December 23, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Great,

The game is on Comcast Sportsnet Plus tonight. That way if we start stinking it up the picture will be hardly visible anyway!

Posted by: millineumman | December 23, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Whoopeee!!!

And now you guys have finally realized why I call him "MeTawn."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 23, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse