Adidas "evaluating" relationship with Arenas

Gilbert Arenas is already under investigation for possession of firearms in the District. NBA Commissioner David Stern suspended him indefinitely and the Washington Wizards organization appears to be distancing itself from him in all marketing and promotions. If Arenas weren't already dealing with enough, he now faces the watchful eye of his shoe company, Adidas, which released a statement on Friday that is putting the three-time all-star on notice.

"We are evaluating our relationship with Gilbert Arenas based on his recent conduct and subsequent suspension from the NBA," Adidas spokeswoman Lyn Famiglietti said in a statement. "We echo the Commissioner's concern for such a serious incident and will continue to follow the investigation by the league and law enforcement."

Arenas has been with Adidas since signing an endorsement deal with the shoe company in December 2003.

By Michael Lee  |  January 9, 2010; 3:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards 104, Magic 97
Next: Miller sore but will start again

Comments

Well, all my Adidas stuff will go in the trash if Adidas does NOT void all contracts they have with Gilbert Arenas, as well as contracts with all other Wizards, immediately! Tell Adidas that I am evaluating their companies actions too, same evaluation I gave all the Tiger Woods paraphernalia. These gamers might eventually get the message we are sick and tired of their trash conduct, and they haven't even provided any entertainment value in years anyway. They're done! Stick a fork in all of them!

Posted by: Jackie18 | January 9, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Jackie18, that's insane. Breathe. Relax. Gil didn't do anything, so get over it.

Posted by: Urnesto | January 9, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

What size to you wear, cuz I can come by.

Posted by: mike8 | January 9, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

URNESTO:

Gilbert admitted to breaking the gun law in DC.

What do you consider "Gil didn't do anything, so get over it"

You are the exact f... culture they are trying to get rid off.
Get over it and get lost!!!!

Posted by: kidvid | January 9, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I've been trying to make sense of this whole Gilbert thing.
Ponder this.
If Gil knew that his knee just wasn't right but didn't want to go on IR again maybe he planned the whole thing.

He figgered that he'd just get suspended and he could rest & rehab the knee some more. No pressure to play up to his & the fans expectations. Maybe this thing snowballed on him.
Wouldn't be the first time his plans blew up.
Remember his parachute training regimen.

Posted by: VBFan | January 9, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Look, if that is true - that they're singling out the young guys for that reason - then they should say it. Otherwise, it looks like they are too chicken-S to fine the veterans. I see that someone posted that thought above, but have not seen that reported anywhere. Plus, that's a distinction without a difference used to avoid fining Jamison. Also, it's pure silliness to think that race didn't play a role. If it had been Oberto with the gun, there would not be all this talk about the NBA's image problem.

Posted by: Urnesto | January 9, 2010 3:45 PM

Here Is My Reply to it eing planned

In a pregame huddle Tuesday night in Philadelphia, Arenas pantomimed guns with his fingers while teammates smiled and laughed. Four players — Foye, Andray Blatche, JaVale McGee and Nick Young — fell to the floor, pretending they had been shot. The team determined that the stunt had been planned and fined those four players $10,000 each, according to The Washington Post.

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 9, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Common misconception around here -- that you can hold one player responsible for the team's won-loss record.

For instance, the Wiz have only won eleven games, far short of fan expectations before the season.

That's Gil's fault, right? If he were a better player, they'd have won more games, huh?

How do we know that? Suppose the problem lies somewhere else -- another starter(s), or the reserves, or the coaches. How can we establish blame one way or the other?

In the final analysis, we can't. Because it's a team game, and teams win or lose, not individual players.

We can certainly argue for one cause or another, but we can't establish a focal point for blame. We just have opinions.

Granted, one player has more impact on the outcome of a basketball game than, say, football. Still, a particular player, even a star, doesn't have the same impact on every game. Sometimes the star makes the difference between a win and a loss, and sometimes not.

With Arenas, for example, you could say that sometimes his play helped the team win, and sometimes it actually interfered with team play.

We were all forced to watch last season as the Wiz showed us just how bad they could be. The team added several players to that club, the most publicized being Gilbert. And overall, the results have been disappointing to fans.

But to say that's Gilbert's fault would be a stretch.

The numbers -- the individual ones -- suggest he's been an asset to the team. Not as much of an asset as we all wanted, but an asset nonetheless.

It's the team as a whole that hasn't been very good to this point.

So maybe they'll play better without Gilbert, or maybe they won't. Too early to tell. We'll have to watch the games.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 9, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Kidvid: You're kind of losing it. And proving my point. Gilbert committed a technicalilty crime - bringing a VA gun to DC. He did not commit any violent crime, or menancing crime, or any crime that involves any sort of negative intent. There has been no (credible) claim that the guns were loaded or unsupervised or anything. Gilbert merely messed up on a technicality and played a practical joke that went awry. In that respect, it's less dangerous than speeding, or DUI, or violence against a person, or any of the other real crimes that endanger people. Shooting a gun in a public crowded place (Stephen Jackson) is nowhere remotely in the same ballpark as putting an unloaded gun on a bench in a private area. There's no comparison. But if you're honestly this crazy, just go root for Cleveland. We won't miss you.

Posted by: Urnesto | January 9, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"Impossible is nothing."

I guess not.

LMFAO!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 9, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"Also, it's pure silliness to think that race didn't play a role. If it had been Oberto with the gun, there would not be all this talk about the NBA's image problem.

Posted by: Urnesto"

Oberto isn't stupid enough to pack heat at his job.

Gilby is a classic case of arrested development....no home training.....don't know no better.

Gilby would probably be dead if not for his basketball talent.

As I said before, Gilby is a classic case of someone who should not be breeding....and now he has 3, no less.

If his path in life takes him to jail, he should go to juvenile detention first, until he starts acting like he's at least 16.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 9, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"You are the exact f... culture they are trying to get rid off.
Get over it and get lost!!!!"

the 'culture' of gun owning is called America.

just ask Jim Webb's aid who was bringing his gun from VA to DC everyday.

Or is he part of that "f.... culture" too?

but yeah, there's no racial element at all in the arenas situation. right.

Posted by: divi3 | January 9, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 9, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Well I'm writing Wizards management to tell them of my disappointment in the treatment of Gilbert and that I will not be buying anymore wizards gear or tickets to games (and i spent a lot of money on individual playoff tickets and games). I just dont like they way he's being "thrown under the bus" and being made the scapegoat for the real so called "thugs". And i hate that word also. They dont mind making millions of dollars off of these "thugs".

Posted by: washwiz | January 9, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

washwiz -- give me the address -- I want to do the same thing.

Posted by: 0ArenasMVP0 | January 9, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I think i'm going to start wearing my arenas jersey to games, and when the jakcie18s and kidvid's of the world give me dirty looks, i'll shoot them with my fingers a la philly pregame

Classic...LOL
I second that one.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 9, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I thought I would find it on the washington wizards web site (their NBA site), but I know it's the Verizon Center, 6-7th St., NW. I'll look it up but I'm sure the web site has an email site for comments, another way of contact. I used to get letters from their management begging me to buy season tickets. (sales reps and all)

Posted by: washwiz | January 9, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Adidas "evaluating" relationship with Arenas and

Washington evaluating relationship with Grunfeld.

Posted by: horace1 | January 9, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

How many shoes does he sell and how much money does he make for Adidas? Adidas must first answer that question.

Posted by: cr10 | January 9, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

It's over with Adidas.

Didn't you love Grunfeld's denial to Michael Lee? He said the Wiz were not disassociating themselves from Gilbert; they're just focusing on other players. Meanwhile, they tear down his image from Verizon Center and stop selling his jerseys. I used to respect Ernie even though he's made some mistakes. But less and less.

Posted by: jweber1 | January 9, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

"Gilbert committed a technicalilty crime - bringing a VA gun to DC. He did not commit any violent crime, or menancing crime, or any crime that involves any sort of negative intent. There has been no (credible) claim that the guns were loaded or unsupervised or anything."

Several things wrong with the above post. First, there is no "technicalilty crime". While there's a question of whether the guns were registered in Mr. Arena's home of record (Virginia), it's illegal to transport the weapons across the state line into DC. The NBA agreement with the Players Association (under which Mr. Arenas signs his contract) specifically says it's not allowed to have weapons in the arena, on practice facilities, or at NBA sponsored events/venues.

You don't think that having four weapons displayed with a note "Pick one" isn't menacing? That's it's not saying "choose your weapons"? You don't think that there was a "negative intent", not even a little?

dungarees@gmail.com

Posted by: Dungarees | January 9, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 9, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 9, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Arenas' lawyer will argue that it was all a prank and spending 12 months in jail with hardened convicts won't make America safer.

A fair punishment:

6-figure fine
permanent gun ownership rights revoked
1,000 hours community service and/or
2 years probation

Hibachi in a cell ain't justice.

Posted by: elfreako | January 9, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

A fair punishment:

6-figure fine
permanent gun ownership rights revoked
1,000 hours community service and/or
2 years probation

Hibachi in a cell ain't justice.

Posted by: elfreako | January 9, 2010 8:59 PM

I was never one calling for jail time but I do believe it is in both parties best interest for Gilbert Arenas and the Wizards to part ways and for Gilbert to get a fresh start and I would for 1 wish him all the best in his future.

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 9, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I for 1 believe that no other team would give him the same 100 plus million contract for someone that only scores points and either can not or will not play defense or be a leader on the team. Just my opinion and I believe Gilbert would be a great adition on a team that already had a well developed defensive system in place.

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 9, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna sell all my Gil gear and Tiger gear Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, PLEASE!! Get over yourself Jackie18,and all of you other sanctimonious goofballs, all of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves; what can i do! what can i do! YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!! and support Gil, don't emulate home team management(cut&run) when the big bad wolf(David"the fixer"Stern)speaks Who are we? Let's show some backbone, as i've stated before Gil did something unbelievably stupid by bringing gun's across state lines but not for crimminal intent so as another post suggested fine him,suspend him(15-20 games max)probation(2yrs) and community service and let's move on and let's get behind him and stop piling on this man.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 9, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Get hurt and people tend to forget that. I think Gil will be back...and maybe even better. He always needs motivation...if this doesn't give him some...geez I don't know what will. It's like they say...they love you then they hate you and then they love you again.

Then he'll end up killing us like he does Golden State...LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 9, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Yes but he plays very little defense and even Gilbert said he is not leader material and part of a max contract is being a leader and I like Gil but I am also honest with myself about the situation

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 9, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

"The example often cited was how Arenas once defecated in teammate Andray Blatche's shoe during Blatche's rookie season."

Mike, just read your your article and I am completely STUNNED! Grown men DO NOT DO THAT, like, ever! That dude needs help...immediately!

I can't believe he had something further planned for the Cleveland game also. Unreal.

EG needs fired immediately. If he coddled Gilbert the way your article says he deserves to be shown the door ASAP. I don't see how any of that is what is best for the Wizards.

Please Ted, buy the team like now.

"i think i'm going to start wearing my arenas jersey to games, and when the jakcie18s and kidvid's of the world give me dirty looks, i'll shoot them with my fingers a la philly pregame"

Do you crap in other peoples shoes also?

This is so beyond basketball right now.

Wow.

Oh God, now I sound like Barno. :P

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 9, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I keep hearing where help from Ernie & mangement was offered to Gil, but nothing saying (with the history behind all this craziness) ,nothing ordered by them as long as WE kept bringing in the dollars huh ! But it is all on him for him being responsible for his own actions Ernie, right. Kinda like someone out there with a real bad habit (drug addiction), but don't or cannot admit it because there's no realization that there is a problem until help is provided through superiors on jobs or judges in the judicial system...just saying...

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | January 9, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@Dungarees,

Nice post. There is no such thing as a "technicality" crime. And, the "pick one" reference is slightly menacing. I know if I came to my locker and saw what Crittenton saw I would have been furious. Now, that does not excuse his alleged reaction either. Idiots "playing" with guns is how people in this country get killed everyday. For those arguing otherwise, you are the ones missing something - maybe common sense.

That being said, elfreako had a nice post about what I would also consider to be a fair punishment. Should he get a lifetime ban or jail time? I don't believe so. But, GA per usual is often his own worst enemy. The fact that he was going to do a John Wayne routine before the Cleveland game shows that his punishment was perfectly timed to save him from himself and that he is not exactly fit mentally to even own guns.

He does need professional help as well. Maybe that could also be court ordered. He is the type that if this all goes even further south I would not be surprised if he is found dead by his own hand. Obviously, I hope I am wrong, but the dude is not a super stable guy.

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 9, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

By the way, the classic logical mistake is being made here that I see all the time and that is excusing bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior. Don't do it bc it never makes sense and is not an intellectual argument.

His other behavior being revealed is a little disconcerting as well and it seems to me there were plenty of signs that he should not have been signed to a $111 million contract. Would I ever give that money to someone who thought it was funny to defecate in a teammates shoes?? No. That is just going too far and shows obvious character/personality flaws. He more than anyone might be responsible for NY's stunted growth as he used GA as his mentor only he has half his talent. GA's goofball mentality seemed to have filtered through to the teams "young" players.

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 9, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhhh...gone for the better part of 10 days and I see only one thing changed while I was out...Haywood had a monster game!

Good on Haywood. If he would do that just 20 times more this season, I will change my tune on him.

Gilbert is suspended, so I'd prefer to talk about wizards basketball. When that topic comes back up, I'll join you all.

Until then, Way to play it MM!

Posted by: Blurred | January 9, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I just heard on the radio that there is a rumor floating around that Eddie Jordan will be fired in next couple days

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 10, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I really hope this guy gets all of his contracts cut. That's something any sensible company would do. There are plenty of Basketball Players who deserve the chance this guy clearly blew. Besides how could he make good on his deals with sponsers or teams while he's in prison which is right where he should be. That way he can set an appropriate example of what you get with guns. This man should be ashamed of himself as should any sponsers considering keeping him under contract.

Posted by: mphall1 | January 10, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

"When Gil got that contract it was on the strength of being one of the top 5 pure scorers in the league."

Says to me that Abe Pollin was the impetus behind signing him at that amount, not Grunfeld. No GM makes an offer like that unless the guy who signs the checks is pushing him.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 10, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

But excuse me, I thought the Congress had rules about guns too.

Oh, Yeah he admitted that he brought the guns into DC, so he's guitly, take his NBA livelihood, void the contract, cancel all the endorsements. Yeah, Lets take everything he's got. He just a low-lifed thug that has never done anything for anybody in this great Metropolitan Area.

He hasn't I suppose hasn't done anything of charitable consequence that the Congressman from Virgini' hasn't done and more.

Maybe Gilbert's gun should have been loaded like the Congressman's was, or maybe Gilbert forgot to join the Ole' Boy' Network.

Oh, I make like of the situation, for, the NBA is a far more important American institution than Congress of the United States.

Guns in Congress is OK, but Guns in the NBA is far more serious. Yeah, Justice is blind alright.

People, this is how our rights get taken away.

Whats good for the Goose ain't necessarily good for the Gander.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I guess yound kids don't look up to Congressman and consider them important role models like they do basketball players.

Gilberts conduct should have be held to a much more higher standard than some lowly Congressman from Virgini'.

People, are these the standards you would want applied unequally in this country.

Gilbert Arenas exhibited bad conduct and actions.

However, I would want also that if it is punishable for him as it is currently being played out, then the Congressman from Virgini' should have gotton the same and also all the sanctified outrage that everyone is giving Gilbert.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"Arenas broke the law to be sure but the only way he'll do jail time is if the prosecution establishes "criminal intent".

A fair punishment:

6-figure fine
permanent gun ownership rights revoked
1,000 hours community service and/or
2 years probation

Hibachi in a cell ain't justice.

Posted by: elfreako | January 9, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"Then he'll end up killing us like he does Golden State...LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 9, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse "

He's only killing himself.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

"You would be surprised what pay would pay people. When Gil got that contract it was on the strength of being one of the top 5 pure scorers in the league.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 9, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse "

Wrong.

When Gilby got his contract, it was based on his history of being a top 5 scorer.

There was no guarantee he would ever return to form due to his knee injury and the further damage he self inflicted.

Couple that with the threat from him to EG that he would walk for less than max money, and EG folded like a house of cards.

Now, EG was ready to trade him before this gun fiasco.

EG is good at acquiring players and then trading them for nothing.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

An unloaded gun in the Verizon Center is much more serious than a loaded gun in the halls of Congress.

Yeah, we great citizens must surely state our outrage about unloaded guns in a NBA facility, but is is alright have a loaded gun in the halls of Congress.

Come on People, I was born at night, but not last night.

LarryInClintonMD.

And don't try to come on here and say the cases are different. They aren't.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

The only time I willbuy a Wizards ticket is when Gilbert returns and the Washington Wizards Assasin. I got spoiled the last few years because most of the Washington area teams are losers just like the wizards

Posted by: bonggong | January 10, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

"Which he was. And didn't Arenas turn down a bunch of cash so the Wiz would have more room to sign other players?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 10, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse "

EG asked Gilby to accept less than max money, and after thinking it over, Gilby agreed.

EG then proceeded to use that extra money to sign Dee Brown....not Roger Mason.

Keep in mind that beyond the $111 mil that Gilby signed, he pretty much also wrapped up a $50 mil contract that he got when he started here.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,2010 New Year's gift you ready?Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...NIKE
SHOX,JORDAN SHOES 1-24,AF,DUNK,SB,PUMA ,R4,NZ,OZ,T1-TL3) $35HANDBGAS(COACH,L V, DG, ED HARDY) $35TSHIRTS (POLO ,ED HARDY, LACOSTE) $16
New to Hong Kong : Winter Dress
--- NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 ---**** NFL Jersey $35
--- NBA Jersey $ 34 ---**** MLB Jersey $ 35
--- Jordan Six Ring_m $36 ---**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45
--- T-Shirt_m $ 25 ---**** Jacket_m $ 36
--- Hoody_m $ 50 ---**** Manicure Set $ 20
thanks... Company launched New Year carnival as long as the purchase of up to 200, both exquisite gift, surprise here, do not miss, welcome friends from all circles to come to order..,For details, please consult http://www.allbyer.com

Posted by: huangzhixian208 | January 10, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"Well, the only thing that I can why the NBA, the Washington Wizards, and possibly the DC court system is hanging Gibert Arenas out to dry is because his name isn't Congressman Gilbert Arenas.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse "

You are one stupid individual who makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

"He just happens to play basketball and the NBA/CBA has rules against how you handle guns.

But excuse me, I thought the Congress had rules about guns too.

People, this is how our rights get taken away.

Whats good for the Goose ain't necessarily good for the Gander.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse "

I'm sure all your reasons for letting Gilby walk with a slap on the wrist, would have been taken into consideration.....had Gilby not continued to dig himself a deeper and deeper hole.

In case you've been sleeping, the latest news is that there has been no verdict yet from the grand jury investigation. They are doing their due diligence.

Wake the F' up.

What has happened is that Stern has removed Gilby in order to protect the league and most importantly, to protect Gilby from doing further damage to his team and himself.

Gilby is a moron who just doesn't know how to quit.

Now, he's put in his place.

BTH had a great game because the monkey boy has been taken off his back.

Now, the team can focus on basketball.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I wish that were true, but I think the law currently in DC says that mere possession is a felon.

The Supreme Court though would have to strike that down, especially in the light of how the Congressman was handle, don't you think.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"

Gilbert Arenas exhibited bad conduct and actions.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse "

Yeah, and that's the same reason the stupid people of PG Cty kept voting in Jack Johnson, one of the most corrupt politicians ever in the history of PG Cty?

What about the slimy City Council?

PG residents don't know any better.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"I challenge all of you that have been on the tar and feather bandwagon and the running of Gilbert out of town to justify on this blog why the Congressman's gun handling foray, isn't any less serious than what Gilbert did and why is Gilbert being punished and he was not.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse "

Maybe it would if the congressman played in the NBA.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I was going to post (and I guess I still am posting!), but rmcazz already posted everything I was going to say. I think a lot less of Gil since reading the blockbuster Page 1 article today. And Ernie and Company hasn't helped matters. Disgusted.

Posted by: rbelleisle | January 10, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Gilby needs to take individual responsibility....not blame the system.

That's a copout excuse for most criminals and criminal apologists we have in society and on this blog.

Gilby is a self admitted goofball.

If you admit that you're a goofball, then there comes a time when you need to act like an adult.....

And that's usually when your employer pays you gobs of money and expects you to follow the rules.

And that's usually when you breed and make 3 kids and should try to grow up.

And that's when you take endorsement money from companies who expect you to project an image that doesn't conflict with the law.

It's not that hard Gilby.

Goofballs go to jail too.

As easy as it came to you, it can be taken away just as easy.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Wake the F' up.

Gilby is a moron who just doesn't know how to quit.

Now, he's put in his place.

BTH had a great game because the monkey boy has been taken off his back.

Now, the team can focus on basketball.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 9:00 AM

The League and the Wizards have made their decisions and the writing on the wall left to their decision is that he will never play in the NBA again.

The district would like to be able to charge him as a Felon based on their being tough on guns law. However, there law is being questioned in the courts now.

And we see ,as I have been pointing out and no one has seriously taken the challenge yet including you, that the District has not even applied the law equally to all especially the Congressman in Virgini'.

Now stupid that DC_Man88.

LarryInClintonMD.

Oh! By the way. A moron can't sign a 111 million dollar contract.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

That's the problem with Gilby not having an agent is that he doesn't have a baby sitter....no one to tell him what's right and what's wrong with regard to his career decisions.

Where's his daddy?

Where's his mommy?

Where's his fiance?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

URNESTO:

Gilbert admitted to breaking the gun law in DC.

What do you consider "Gil didn't do anything, so get over it"

You are the exact f... culture they are trying to get rid off.
Get over it and get lost!!!!

Posted by: kidvid | January 9, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, you da bad guy.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"If you are trying to insinuate that what is going on with Gilbert is just a part of some process by the League and the Wizards, then we all must be stupid to believe that.

Now stupid that DC_Man88.

LarryInClintonMD.

Oh! By the way. A moron can't sign a 111 million dollar contract.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse "

Sorry dude, all this drama surrounding Gilby is self inflicted.

If he did not bring guns into VC/DC...we wouldn't be talking about this right about now.

Gilby made the league and Les BouleS decision much easier due to his actions right after the gun situation blew up.

Again, the blame falls on Gilby's shoulders.

Apparently, in this case, a moron did sign that $111 mil contract, that's now in jeopardy.

I'm sure you're well aware of the cliche:

"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Now stupid that DC_Man88.

LarryInClintonMD.

Oh! By the way. A moron can't sign a 111 million dollar contract.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

O-o-o, you a bad guy too. Support GA, support da gun culture. O-o-o call the policia, policia, ausilio succorro.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Is a doo-doo shoe a legit excuse for some of ABs performances???

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

DC_Man88,

I don't think PGC has any relevancy in this issue atall. Stay On Point.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"support da gun culture"

Gil can expect a spirited defense from the NRA?

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"DC_Man88,

I don't think PGC has any relevancy in this issue atall. Stay On Point.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse "

Sure it does...you were talking about corrupt politicians/congressman.

And you do live in Clinton, MD, so take care of your own bidness and stop vooting those morons into county leadership.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Guys come on, wouldn't you rather dwell on how well the WIZARDS played against the MAGIC.???? The dude's got a standing=O from the home crowd, and those at home too!!!! Despite our club's best efforts to move on, the monkey continues on their back. We've got to accept whatever fate GILBERT faces, and do the same. The die is cast, and this blog or BLOGMEISTER won't change that fact. Let's do basket-ball. I know soap-opera, GLOCK CENTER, AS THE WIZ TURNS, is habit-forming, but we've got to get over ourselves.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"support da gun culture"

Gil can expect a spirited defense from the NRA?

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Good one. LOL

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 9:38 AM

When we circle the wagons unqually and unfairly against one and not the other we all lose in the end.

This has been my point all along.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I like all the talk about the game later today. Good observations by many of you on our chances w/ Foye against Paul.

I agree, Jamison will probably get 30/11 today and butler will light up for 24 with 5 steals.

But what about Miller and Haywood? And our pathetic bench?

Posted by: Blurred | January 10, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse "

Actually, it's the golden desert eagle center...the same gun used in an Austin Powers movie "Goldmember."

Not sure whether Gilby's was a .357 magnum or .50 caliber.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"This is bigger than Gilbert Arenas as I have been saying all along. This is all about equal protections and equal justice.

This has been my point all along.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse "

Equal justice?

You mean like OJ Simpson being able to afford a lot of expensive lawyers and get away with double murder?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Which is why I said too bad for Gilby that Johnny Cochran ain't around to bail him out.

Even Al Sharpton spoke out against Gilby.

Same for most, if not all, black journalists such as Steven A. Smith, Whitlock, Wilbon, Mike Wise, etc.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Explain how that is justice.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 10, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

more like Kobe's money paying off a rape.

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"more like Kobe's money paying off a rape.

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse "

Gilby's crime can't pay anyone off though.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"Justice will be served if Gilby's contract gets voided and he's banned from the league for at least 3 years.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Explain how that is justice.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 10, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse "

Justice for the Pollins for their wasted investment in Gilby.

It would also serve as a notice to all the other knuckleheads in the NBA who think packing heat and using "goofy" as an excuse just doesn't cut it.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

'Guys come on, wouldn't you rather dwell on how well the WIZARDS played against the MAGIC.????'

hard to focus/care on how the team is playing when espn is constantly saying:

'As for Washington, one source close to the situation said in the wake of Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension this week: "The Wizards are 100 percent going to try to void Gil's contract, and they're 100 percent going to clean house. There is now not a single player they wouldn't trade."'

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, EG is planning on blowing up the roster.

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

@glawrence007,

What Stern should have done was call Gilbert into his office and gave his butt a 'Stern' cussing out and all this drama might not still be unfolding the way it is.

For the actions that David took, you might want to think that even before the Philly incident, that he might have wanted to have given Gilbert a little face to face tete a tete.

But thats all wishful hindsight.

On a basketball note, the one thing that DC_Man88 is probably right about is that the chemistry of the Team right now is probably better without Gilbert.

That is why I always wanted a true point to run the Offense not named Gilbert. My guy was Javaris. Isn't that ironic?

Maybe Gilbert knew deep down that Javaris could be the one to really take the point away from him.

Go Figure.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Gilby's crime can't pay anyone off though.

Posted by: DC_MAN88

yeah it can, jurisdictions regularly go for plea deals when the defendant can do greater good out of jail etc. Arenas can give loads of money to whatever programs, make appearances, all that stuff rich/famous people do to get out of trouble. Par for the course.

As much as it will infuriate you, there's a solid chance he gets a misdemeanor and that's it

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Life aint fair?

There is a realistic chance that Gil:

1)does zero jail time
2)negotiates a buyout on his contract to the tune of $30mill or whatever

he'll be better off than the wizards when it's all said and done.

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Divi3. A cliche of an answer that is greatly to the point.

And I hope you are right about Gilbert.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I think it will be a huge mistake for Ernie to blow up the Team. Trades may be in the offing, but to do it based upon this Gilbert thing and from a weakening position is not the way you do successful trades in the NBA.

To blow your Team up because of Gilbert is not the way to make your Team better.

As Divi3, points out though if the Wizards agree to a buyout with Gilbert if they can't void the contract, would they get appropriate cap relief as well?

Cap relief plus the loss of Crit opens up a spot for a creditable point to run the Team, Yes?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"We are doing basketball. If David Stern had not decided that Gilbert was a menace and to just let things play out a bit we might be talking about how the Wizards lost again with Gilbert.

But thats all wishful hindsight.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse "

Pay attention sometime.

Stern was content with letting it play out until Gilby made things worse.

Not only with the fake shooting episode right before the Philly game, but the paper reports that Gilby was planning to do a John Wayne impression at hte Orlando game, until he got suspended.

Gilby is his own worse enemy.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"

Gilby's crime can't pay anyone off though.

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse "

You've misunderstood.

Gilby can't pay off anyone to make this go away, like how Kobe paid someone off for their silence.

I don't care if he gets jail time.

I do think for the benefit of Les BouleS and DC, it'd be best to void the contract and ban him from sight for at least 1 season, not including this one.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"BUT STILL. No one has stepped up to justify why Gilbert and not the Congressman too.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse "

These two issues have absolutely no relationship with each other.

Maybe if the Congressman acted like a monkey fool like Gilby did, then there would be more of an uproar.

How about that?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

and btw, a total house cleaning falls on EGs shoulders, and if there is anyone with a brain amongst the Pollins they are considering whether EG should even be allowed to make such deals.

Gil is gone and Haywood is a FA that isnt going to be resigned. Trading the likes of NY and Mcgee could very well be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Gilby's father is also an enabler.

If you read today's article, he used his son as a monkey to amuse people...in order to get hand outs.

What a gimmick.

-------------------------------------------

"His future boss was so taken by the 7-year-old who came to a job interview, because the elder Arenas could not find or afford a baby-sitter, Arenas Sr. found work without ever being asked a question in the interview. Within days of driving cross-country and having run out of cash, the single father somehow also found an apartment and summer day care. "Gilbert was my good-luck piece," he said. "Everywhere I went, people fell in love with him and wanted to do things for us.""

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

EG does not deserve a chance to blow up the team and restart.

Both MeTawn and Caron, as captains, should have reigned in this freak show monkey boy Gilby.

It's sad how Gilby chose to pick on the scrubs on this team.

If you read the article.....how Gilby shat in AB's shoes, how he took the rims off of Stowery, etc.

People on this team like him because....who doesn't like to laugh at the class clown monkey boy?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

LARRY:

Now we're hittin' on all eight. I have been sayin' that J-CRIT was given a shake-down cruise last season, and found to have game. I'm positive, although I know nothing, that ERNIE's boy JC was going to be moved gradually into the PG slot over the course of this season, but that foot injury prevented it. I see why GRUNFELD was so-o-o pissed and non-tendered him. Again, I'm positive he wasn't cleared to play in the HOTLANTA summer league, but did it anyway, much to his personal and all our chagrin.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The real fault is giving AGENT ZERO that putrid contract as leader of the pack which his mind couldn't handle. I don't know if it was strictly ABE's call. or if GRUNFELD was responsible too, but it happened on his watch so some goo has to stick to his shorts over it.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

'I'm positive, although I know nothing, that ERNIE's boy JC was going to be moved gradually into the PG slot over the course of this season'

that's the other thing, whereas maybe gil's deal was all abe (maybe not), there's no question Critt was 110% EG.

critt, the guy who apparently had the chambered gun in the locker room.

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Except EG didn't pick up his relatively cheap option next year???

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 10, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"critt, the guy who apparently had the chambered gun in the locker room.

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse "

Unless JCritt starts acting a fool like Gilby, the verdict on his status won't come to light until the grand jury makes a decision.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"Easy DC. I'm with you on that, but ease up off GIL a bit. Just a bit. I know he did the stupid, but the dude needs help. That's clear.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse "

Read today's article.

Les BouleS provided Gilby with help.

But, you can only help someone so much when they don't think they have a problem.

-------------------------------------------

"An NBA official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the team provided support to Arenas -- including professional counseling. "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey SD, how bout that dominant center, dwight howard, the other night? Brenda musta been on tha rag. She gave Dwight tha bizness

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 10, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Where are the captains who are supposed to enforce locker room behavior and rules?

------------------------------------------

"Arenas, a notorious practical joker, often crossed the line of acceptable decorum. The example often cited was how Arenas once defecated in teammate Andray Blatche's shoe during Blatche's rookie season. His behavior often went unchecked and unpunished, said a former team employee on condition of anonymity. "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 10, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Les BouleS provided Gilby with help.

Maybe a lobotomy - just kidding.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

dung-shoeing is typical rook treatment right????

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

The Wise-Lee article today confirmed what I had assumed and have been saying here for weeks. An Ernie Grunfeld led franchise was providing no discipline in the face of a star player who was out of control. They allowed Gilbert to undercut Eddie Jordan and do what he wanted with little threat of punishment. It doesn't excuse Gilbert but, to me, it means Grunfeld can't be the GM to lead this franchise going forward. It's too bad. I generally think he's a good deal-maker, although he's made some mistakes (e.g., Etan and Roger Mason). But he's also smart enough not to trade our best players for garbage. If Leonsis is going to make his move, now's the time to do it, so the Polin sons aren't green-lighting deals Leonsis won't like.

Posted by: jweber1 | January 10, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse "

I'll reiterate, since you picked a path away from my intent with this post. The main point is the responsibility lies with GILBERT, other players, ownership and management alike. GIL just couldn't handle the pressure of leadership which that contract bestowed.

It never should have happened. When GA threatened the ownership and management with that "Sign JAMISON or else" outburst, he should have been let go. That's when he crossed the point of no return. Signing him just validated his deportment in his mind. At least that's the appearance it gives to me, looking from here.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Clearly the Wizards are communicating that irregardless of the legal outcome Gilbert has played his last game as a Wizard. It's hard not to project a conspiracy with the removal of all reference to Gilbert prior to any decision from the grand jury. There must be high assurance within the Wizards organization that the league and even the players union will not present anything more than cursory obstacles to having his contract voided.

Gilbert has always been child-like in his words and actions. Cleary his behavior has been indulged because of his significant abilities and he has never been held to the standards of conduct to which most of us adhere. Now it is crashing in upon him and he is being severely penalized for something in his mind that is indistinct from going to the bathroom in Blatche's shoe.

Now he is being tarred and feathered and shortly will be exiting the DC area on a rail. That Gilbert is now the poster child for all that is wrong in the league is absurdity.

I would bet if tested Gil would be diagnosed with a personality disorder and genuinely needs help. I have seen some strange legal cases in my time...could a lawyer make a case that anti-social behavior has been consistently ignored and untreated and the Wizards and the league has been negligent by not identifying this and vigorously pursuing to help Gil. I am not advocating this at all but just saying I would not be surprised to see something like this unfold.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | January 10, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | January 10, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Did you get by-line this from the old T.V. show from the forties? Remember "Light Out."

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 10, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

It doesnt bother me that he crapped in ABs shoes.

The problem I wish management would have addressed is that he spent so much time thinking about and setting up elaborate pranks etc. There's simply no time for THAT much focus on goofing if a team is serious about WINNING.

Cant blame Gil for signing the deal they put in front of him, or that he didnt change after never showing any signs of changing.

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

glawrence007,
I do remember the "Lights Out" tv show but don't think it is the source. I love all things old and pulpy, plenty of bad jokes available for that line, ....old movies, radio, books, comics. Pleasant reminders of simpler times.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | January 10, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"I would bet if tested Gil would be diagnosed with a personality disorder and genuinely needs help."

Agreed 100%

"could a lawyer make a case that anti-social behavior has been consistently ignored and untreated and the Wizards and the league"

With $80mill at stake you can bet all the stops will be pulled (and should be) by Arenas' defense when the Wiz go after they money they currently owe him.

Pure speculation- but I almost expect to see the team win initially (void deal) when the league rules because it will be a complete pre-determined sham with no chance for Arenas (just like the vick case).

Followed by a successful appeal in federal court- just like the Vick case.

Posted by: divi3 | January 10, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

========================================

that is really funny!

Here's my quick opinion on this whole fiasco. Arenas made a serious mistake bringing guns into the building, completely insane and he obviously deserves a suspension of resonable length.

however, there's no proof that the guns were loaded, and it seems pretty clear that arenas's part in the JC incident was meant to be joke. not a good joke, but still. JC took it way too far.

given arenas's belief that the whole thing was just a joke gone awry, his pretend shooting of his teammates is understandable, and considered in that light, is pretty damn funny. I think it's being way overblown.

arenas should serve a short suspension of, to pick a number out of the air, 20 games. that should be the end of it.

Posted by: stevie2 | January 10, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

A lot of the shadowey things that are now being brought to light about Gilbert are telling for me.

Those of you that are familiar with my positions might recall that I hold of high importance in a Teams success the Organization and the Coach.

You see, their are many posters whom believe that winning mostly is the extreme responsibility of the players.

I have always believed that the Organization and the Coach are 1-2 or viceversa, then comes the players. It is why I became a fire Eddie banner waver.

You see it is ultimately the Organization and the Coach that must instill discipline, professionalism, good conduct, and a will to win, amongst it players.

Any organization that doesn't do this and demand this of their players will never be a winning organization.

It any players does not wish to conform to those principles, they should be quickly shown the door.

It is apparent that the Wizard organization, though appearing to hold these principles in high regard, did not run their organization this way.

So now that the wheels have come off, all the blame now gets thrown at the feet of it's players.

But my friends, bloggers alike, and those that look from a distance, hear ye, hear ye, The Wizard Organization also bear a huge responsibility for this mess.

This house has been undisciplined for years now. It is a shame that Antwann Jamison had to come out the other night to supposedly put this Organization on the right path it should have been on for years.

Does the comments of BulletsFan78 seem so outlandish now?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 10, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Asked if he regretted any situations and how they handled Arenas and his antics, Grunfeld added: "People are responsible for their own actions. If someone takes their own actions, they have to be ready to accept the consequences and not look to deflect blame elsewhere."

I hope someone had this quote handy to remind EG when his behind gets fired and kicked to the curb.

Posted by: p1funk | January 10, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

In the aftermath of this latest publicity black eye the NBA could do worse than to examine and hopefully improve the support mechanism it provides for young players.

Incidentally, the way Wizard's management has handled this situation almost certainly guarantees that the team's effort to improve will not feature the signing of free agent stars, as players' perception of Washington as an attractive destination has surely taken yet another blow.

Posted by: thomas_kecskes | January 10, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I was at the New Orleans game and they took my bubble gum !!! I was told I couldnt bring my gum in the building !!! I told them it was GUM not GUN !!!

Posted by: 1caveman | January 11, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Sturm Ruger, OTOH, is very interested in working out a deal.

Posted by: gbooksdc | January 11, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse