Arenas meets with Stern in New York (Updated)

Michael Lee reports that Gilbert Arenas just finished his meeting in New York with NBA Commissioner David Stern. Arenas was accompanied by his attorney, Ken Wainstein. The meeting lasted about an hour. No word on how it went.

Stern could announce his decision on Arenas's suspension today.

As Michael reported in this morning's paper, Stern met with Arenas's teammate Javaris Crittenton on Tuesday. Crittenton explained his altercation with Arenas that led to both players displaying guns in the Wizards' locker room on Dec. 21.

More news will be posted here as it develops. Follow Michael's tweets (@MrMichaelLee) here.

By Alexa Steele  |  January 27, 2010; 1:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards' morning brew: another loss at 'home'
Next: Poll: Is the NBA being fair to Gilbert Arenas?

Comments

Gil's getting rest of this season and all of next, according to some FoxSports reports

Posted by: divi3 | January 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

if that's true - ridiculously long.

Posted by: stevie2 | January 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

You got a link to those rumors bc I don't see them anywhere?

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I read that same rumor on CNN under "Truth and Rumors."

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 27, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe any of those rumors from the rest of this year and next to 30 games. Lets just wait and see what happens.

Posted by: Gooddad | January 27, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

kobe said he would play pickup games with obama during the off season. Wouldn't be a nice fantasy if Gil's contract is voided and kobe plays with obama during the season as a wizard. However everything obama endorses goes dead, healthcare, olympics...

only a fantasy

Posted by: jefferu | January 27, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

a ridiculously long suspension will be overturned by an arbitrator.

There's no getting rid of Gilbert. We made our bed and now we must lay with him... and give him back rubs.

Posted by: MeviousMan | January 27, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

New York is a tough town does anyone other than me think Gil took a gun with him to the meeting?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The punishment is forcing him to come back and play for this team.

Posted by: original_mark | January 27, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big supporter of Gil, but I must say that is funny. lol

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 27, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Rumor was up this a.m. on FoxSports and now it's gone, hopefully means it was typical garbage

Posted by: divi3 | January 27, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

With Crittendon singing like a canary and Gilberts stupid act at the Sixers game and that damned interview after that game, who knows what Stern will do. I do not condone what Gilbert did but I do feel that the punishment he is recieving is a little on the harsh side. Just my opinion. Hopefully this storm he is going through will make him grow up and become a better man and make him appreciate his talent and the opportunity he has to play in the NBA more fully. As I am sure he sees now, this situation he finds himself in is no joke and he could possibly lose his livelihood. I truly hope it doesn't come to that though.

Posted by: ivyleague | January 27, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

And he may just lose his freedom for a bit too.

Posted by: ivyleague | January 27, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert will be in uniform before the seasons over.

Let's hope it's a Wizzies uniform and not an orange jumpsuit.

Posted by: VBFan | January 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

It's sad I hardly ever even wanna post on here. It used to make my work days go faster. I'd rather talk basketball than the soap opera nonsense that's been going on.

Just know if he gets a extremely long suspension. He will be back.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I meant back as a Wizard. I doubt they'll be able to void the contract.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

After all this I just hope the guy can come back with more maturity. if he comes back and plays some defense all can be forgiven.

Posted by: oknow1 | January 27, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Amen to that oknow1, amen to that!

One can only hope.

Posted by: ivyleague | January 27, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

True punishment would be to not suspend him and make him play for the Bullets til his career is over...

Posted by: rockettonu | January 27, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

As a Zards fan, the quickest possible turnaround from thirty years of disappointment is for Gil to return to the team, emotionally matured and humbled by this experience. Physically healthy and prepared to be coached.

With his contract and the rarity of finding "Closers" in the NBA, the Wizards need to have him return as a much more mature version of Agent 0, if for no other reason than increasing his value for trade possibilities.

Posted by: bozomoeman | January 27, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

stern should punish arenas by mandating he plays D for 20 games by staying in front of defenders with a hand in their face when shooting. Oh the humanity

Posted by: jefferu | January 27, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

A situation like this can't do anything but humble you and make you grow up...or completely break you. I think he'll come back with a little more common sense and appreciation for where he was.

He was playing great before he got suspended which makes it even worse.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 27, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

lol...you guys are crazy if you think he is ever playing for the Wizards again. Not happening!

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 27, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid they'll have to pay him to get him to go away.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 27, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse