Bulls 121, Wizards 119

If the Wizards can count on one thing being consistent this season, it's disappointment. They know how to lose in the most excruciating ways imaginable. Although the only got credit for one loss on Friday against the Chicago Bulls, the way things fell apart at the end of regulation, overtime and double-overtime, it almost felt like three.

Having already endured an emotional day, with Gilbert Arenas pleading guilty to a felony gun charge, the Wizards were in position to defeat the red-hot Bulls at the end of regulation. With the game tied at 104, Randy Foye tried to shake Kirk Hinrich with a crossover dribble, but he fumbled the ball between his legs, leaving the Wizards without a chance to attempt a game-tying shot.

Then, in overtime, the Wizards were ahead by two points in the closing seconds when DeShawn Stevenson batted the ball away from Derrick Rose. The ball bounced off Rose's knee and appeared to go directly out of bounds. But after the officials reviewed the play, they determined that the ball deflected off of Brendan Haywood's knee before going out of bounds. That set up John Salmons's game-tying drive around Caron Butler with 14 seconds remaining. Foye then missed a potential game-winner with 0.9 of a second remaining.

In the second overtime, the Wizards were ahead by two points with 79 seconds remaining, but when Foye spun to hit Stevenson out beyond the three-point line, his pass was a little too high and too hard, leading to a turnover. Luol Deng then followed with a three-point play to give the Bulls a 119-118 lead. After a Foye miss, the Wizards made a key defensive stop, but Haywood got fouled on the rebound and could only make 1 of 2 free throws. Even if Haywood had made both, Rose still would've hit the game-winning shot over Foye with 5.4 seconds remaining.

Foye's attempt to tie the game and force a third overtime didn't even touch the rim. The Wizards have now lost 11 games by five points or less this season -- and five by two points or less.

These losses have been deflating, but you have to commend Antawn Jamison for the incredible run that he has been on of late. He had 34 points with 18 rebounds, and in the games since Arenas was suspended, he is averaging 29.3 points and 9.7 rebounds with four double-doubles. Jamison, though, was only able to get four points in the the two overtime periods, with Luol Deng smothering him.

"They wasn't going to let me go anywhere," Jamison said. "If I breathed, he was catching my breath. He did a great job of pretty much what you should do. It was tough there for a moment."

It's been tough for the Wizards all season.

"It's tough, knowing what we're going through, it's tough," Stevenson said, without mentioning Arenas. "I'm just glad we're out here playing hard. I think everybody is going out there with heart. We're playing hard. So as long as we do that, we'll win a couple of games."

At least they hope so.

By Michael Lee  |  January 16, 2010; 1:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards' statement on Arenas's guilty plea
Next: Morning brew: Gilbert Arenas pleads, Wizards lose again

Comments

I am watching this game and saying to myself, they will screw it up. I kept waiting for Flip to pull Haywood out of the game, but he kept him in.

The kept fighting, but Flip puts in Boykins and he did not give it up.

They kept fighting, even though the offense was nail painful to watch.

Then on the last play when Rose scores against Foye, Foye stands back off him and lets him dribble uncontested out on the floor, run the clock down, and then goes into his move and scores an easy basket after taking him into the lane.

That kind of defense stinks to high heaven and has nothing to do with ability. It is not knowing the game and it conceeds the advantage to the offensive player.

As a defender you must not conceed an advantage to the offensive player especially at the end of games.

You must always pressure the ball and to stand back off the player whom has the ball is giving the advantage to him and also giving the game away.

Defense is guts, toughness, stamina, ability, but first of all and most importantly it is intelligence.

Dumb basketball will always destroy great effort.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 15, 2010 11:53 PM

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

On another note I am glad to see 'Skip To My Lou Rafer Alston' with Dwayne Wade and the Heat.

I don't like to see players taken advantage of like Gundy did to him in the playoffs last year just to give Jameer Nelson his job back.

It would be extreme poetic justice if Miami and Rafer kicks Orlando out of the playoffs this year.

Thats how I roll.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Man I am so disapointed in this whole mess of a season. I thought LAST season was bad, I never dreamed it could be worse!

I don't agree with the way the Wizards have done Arenas. He was busted for drugs. He wasn't dog fighting or going up in the stands and fighting fans. What he did was stupid, but it was far from the worst thing athletes have done. Gil has been a hard worker, a major contributor to the community, and fan friendly. I just don't get the overreaction by the Wizards.

I really feel sorry for guys like Jamison, Butler, Miller... suffering losing seasons last year on bad teams, having high hopes for this year and this team, and now basically having a year of their career totally wasted.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 16, 2010 1:42 AM | Report abuse

If we are done with Arenas, I guess the next move I'd do is move Jamison for expiring. With those off the books, as well as Mike James, I'd go for Bosh in the offseason, and a good pass first pg. I'd try to hold on to Haywood, Miller and Foye. We'd also be adding a high draft pick to the mix.

I'd rather go that route, keeping most of what we have, and essentially swapping Arenas for Bosh as our franchise player. Bosh with Butler, Miller, Haywood, Blatche, Foye, another good FA (pg) and a top draft pick should leave us looking pretty good.

The other option is complete blow up and rebuilding for the next 3-5 years. In that route I'd really only see Foye and maybe McGuire as the guys worth holding on to. Jamison, Butler, Miller and Haywood would go. Stevenson, Oberto, Boykins aren't worth keeping. McGee, Blatche and Young have talent but leave me doubting if any of them have the mentality to ever "get it".

If we totally clear house and dump salaries for cap space and lotto picks, I suppose we could see a starting 5 next season of McGee, Blatche, McGuire, Young and Foye.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 16, 2010 2:01 AM | Report abuse

If we are gonna blow it up, sooner the better... give us the best chance possible at Wall.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 16, 2010 2:13 AM | Report abuse

We really have a pretty bad history the way we have done players if you look at it... MJ, Webber, Rip, Rex Chapman, Googs, Earl the Pearl, and now Gil. We have a history of leading guys to believe we will build the team around them and they are a core part and we have a family mentality, then dump them. So much for loyalty. Character and Commitment!

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 16, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and add Eddie Jordan to the list.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 16, 2010 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Being a Wizards fan this year is like being in a bad relationship. The team gets your hopes up, but more often than not, the hopes get dashed in the most gruesome ways possible.

Having said all that, most nights the team does come to play -- even if they struggle to close out games.

Another take away -- the Wizards need to find a way to get Foye under a long-term deal. He's a complete player and seems to fit well with what Flip is trying to do. Having Miller in the line-up makes a difference as well.

Posted by: JPRS | January 16, 2010 2:30 AM | Report abuse

If we go blow up route, we need to do it immediately... best case scenario is add Bosh and Wall to McGee, Blatche, McGuire, Young and Foye.

Move/drop Arenas, Jamison, Butler, Miller, Stevenson, James, Oberto, Boykins, Crittenton, Haywood and stock up on future draft picks.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 16, 2010 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Other option is just to void Gil and move Jamison for expiring. Mike James' comes off.

Use cap space to sign Bosh or Amare, keep Haywood, Miller, Foye and McGuire. Also have 1st round pick which should be high to draft a player or make a trade like we did last season.

Which way should we go? Keep what we have minus Gil and Antawn to bring in someone like Bosh to replace Gil as our franchise player and keep the supporting parts we already have in place with guys like Butler and Miller ... or complete blow up??

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 16, 2010 2:54 AM | Report abuse

I found the game sort of heartening despite the loss. I mean, who expected the Wizards to go into Chicago and put forth that sort of effort against a team that had been playing really well of late? Arenas gave them an excuse to go into the tank and they refused it.

As far as the game itself, Chicago won at the line, getting nine more points on free throws to offset deficits in FGs and 3 pointers. For the Bulls, it was the Derrick Rose show. Not the last time the NBA is going to see that, either.

Jamison gave Luol Deng credit for his slowdown in overtime, but it looked to me like Antwan tired. 55 minutes will do that to a person. Deng doesn't carry much scoring burden, but he's Duke players are among the better defenders in the league, and he's no exception. When one of your stars is also a shutdown defender, it makes life easier.

They do seem to play more relaxed on the road. The expectations around Washington were pretty crazy to begin the season, as you can see from this blog. Part of that's just fan psychology; to a lot of fans, you're either winning or you're not, nothing in between. But there are some signs the Wiz are playing better -- how about only six TOs in double OT? -- and that's encouraging, if they can keep up the effort.

Maybe they're learning to play together.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 16, 2010 5:59 AM | Report abuse

I am guessing Darnell was drunk last night when he posted, since he was just rambling on and not making much sense.

I will say this though, Haywood has started stepping it up. If he can keep playing like this, I might be interested in re-signing him. Trouble is, he may just be playing for the payday and go back small effort after the contract is signed.

Also, it is so frustrating watching him at the end of games. He can get a block here and there and makes some good board moves. But you HAVE to get the ball out of his hands ASAP because he can not make a FT.

Yes the Wiz made a few mistakes toward the end, but Chicago played REALLY GOOD D against Jamison and Butler and kept the ball out of Jamison hands almost completely in both OTs.

We on the other hand couldn't keep it out of Rose's hands.

Another game we would have won if Miller had been playing. Imagine him in the game instead of Stevenson/McGuire/Young in the critical moments. That high pass would have been caught and the 3 made if Miller were playing.

Lastly...all you fools who think we should do a salary dump with Jamison need to stay with your day jobs. There is a reason your boss doesn't let you make big decisions. Jamison may not be a franchise player, but he is extremely valuable to the right team and he is worth more to us, even with his salary, than a future 1st round pick and expiring contracts.

I'd rather keep him around and get him a solid backup that could take his place in a couple years than trade him for a bag of beans, a wish and hope that some draft pick pans out.

Posted by: Blurred | January 16, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

But the guy that has collected this defenseless crew is EG - losing so many games by so few points tells me he's collecting players who can score when they're hot, but don't play the tough defense that wins games. New ownership should can EG too.

Posted by: DoubleEagle1 | January 16, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"I did not see the game, but according to Lee's recap it sounds like there was alot of Randy Foye missing shots and turning the ball over at crucial moments."

I did see the game and actually Randy played well, as did most of the team.

What lost this game--pathetically--for the Wizards was their shooting from the free throw line (by everyone other than Foye and Butler).

Posted by: nmik | January 16, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

BTH with the monster game.

If he can keep it up this season, he's going to get paid.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 16, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 16, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

WIZARDS get what they deserve, GRUNFELD gets what he deserves, ARENAS gets what he deserved. Just desserts all 'round.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 16, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: junkmail0153 | January 16, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"Agree completely with Blurred. As to freeing up cap space to sign a free agent, no marquis free agent is coming here anyway. I would like to see last nights group on the floor complemented by a complete shooting guard.

Posted by: junkmail0153 | January 16, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse "

Please, the only language in the NBA is the language of money.

I'm sure most NBA players agree that Gilby is a moron for flushing his career here down the toilet....all his own doing.

If Gilby's contract gets voided, that has little bearing on whether other free agents would sign with this team.

People said that MJ's boot would be the downfall of this franchise, and that didn't happen.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 16, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Arenas to Knicks? Walsh says wait and see
January, 15, 2010 Jan 1510:06PM ETEmail Print Share By Chris Sheridan

NEW YORK -- At nearly the exact same moment that Avery Johnson went on ESPN's "NBA Shootaround" show Friday night and demonstrably raised the possibility of the New York Knicks making a push for Gilbert Arenas, that very same topic was a matter of discussion between myself and Knicks president Donnie Walsh.

And although Walsh didn't exactly endorse the notion, he certainly didn't dismiss it.

"I don't know if he's available, and I don’t know if he’s going to be able to play. There are a lot of questions, and we’ll have to see as time passes what the story is, but I know this: When I had guys in the same situation, I traded all of them," Walsh said.

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

If your best player (Antawn Jamison) is a terrible or disinterested defensive player, you're never going to win anything. You don't think the rest of the team gets deflated every time someone blows past AJ and he doesn't even bother to shift his feet? He scores, he occasionally rebounds (he has too many games where he grabs 3 or 4), and he's a decent dude. He is not, however, a complete player.

I just hope the Wizards aren't dumb enough to jettison him for a younger version of himself. Amare and Bosh are almost as soft as Jamison is, and we don't need to blow another max deal on an incomplete player.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 16, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Arenas would certainly fit D'Antoni's run and shoot style.

Not sure how the contracts would work out, but I'll take David Lee, Chris Duhon and Jordan Hill.

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I just heard on the radio that the wizards might be working on a 3 team trade I did not hear the name of the teams because i only heard the last part of it so if i hear it again I will pass it on. We may be seeing a major change in the wizards coming up

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Didn't see the game but it looks like they played hard and together. Have to tip the hat to them for that. Yeah, they're professionals but they're human beings too.

Once again, the bench gave them nothing. Saunders can't play the top 5 48 minutes every game. Or 50+. He's got to go to a Boykins et al. even if just for brief periods.

And when he does, things fall apart.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 16, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I was a little surprised that DeBrick wasn't guarding Rose on that final winning basket,i kept looking for a reason to turn the channel but they wouldn't let me, man i hate this, it was bad enough enduring last season and all that BS but now this, we are living a hell right now(let me correct that, a living hell is in Hati) I don't see Gil going to NY, too much press and too much scrutiny, every move he makes would be dissected by the media and the fans, PLEASE! trust me he don't need that, i'm not so sure that fences can't be mended here everyone needs to take a step back and chill.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 16, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure EG is working every possible trade partner and every possible scenario to move GA out of town ASAP.

Which means every day, we're going to hear about offers/rumors...all of which will have a kernel of truth.

Although, I don't know how EG could possibly make a deal to move Arenas until his sentencing/NBA suspension are determined.

Otherwise, any non-GA trades could be imminent.

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I am sick of this nightmare....
They can't beat even really bad teams like Detroit and now they lose this game which was ready for taking.
No professional team should be so bad.

Posted by: venky1 | January 16, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Otherwise, any non-GA trades could be imminent.

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 10:19 AM

I then ask this Is it possable EG is going to make a big trade envolving others with the foresight of trading Gilbert Arenas for the final piee of the new team

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Now that's funny. If you could just dedicate 10 seconds to thinking about your posts before you post them, you wouldn't spew nonsense.
They are supposed to give you a probable all-star big man, a developing 8th pick that they are very excited about, a serviceable point guard for a convicted felon that's owed $90 million dollars and couldn't play a lick of defense on his best days???

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 16, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Also EG was hired by pollin after pollin hired Eddie Jordan so it would lead to the assumption that EG got the pieces to complimrnt EJ style of basketball so on the same thought why would EG not try to get players that fit Flip Saunders style of basketball instead of having Flip Saunders racking his brain trying to figure out how to put a square peg in a round hole LOL

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 16, 2010

I do not fully know how this works but I do know the salaries have to match in any trade

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

The team badly needs an overhaul but I would rather them wait until EG is out the door as I have lost faith in him being competent enough to master a deal that would benefit the Wizards.
Now that Pollin is dead, who is EG going to blame his horrid moves on?

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 16, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

How many times this season when we have the game on the line and our PG turned the ball over? They may not have made the last shot in regulation, but not even able to get a shot is depressing!

Heck, if Jamison made some FTs they would have won this game long ago!

This team just does not know how to win. They invented ways to loose, and they do not know how to close out games. Was Bulls better? No, but their players would not tense up when games is on the line. Wizards failed to either tie or win the game with the last shot all 3 times, while Bulls was able to knock down shots to tie or go ahead in cruel time. That's why they won all 3 of their overtime games, while Wizards lost all 3 of theirs!

Posted by: sagaliba | January 16, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Now that Pollin is dead, who is EG going to blame his horrid moves on?

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 16, 2010 10:33 AM

What makes you think he is gone when Ted buys the team he could just keep him because it is well known ted is a friend of EG

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Not only the salary have to match but more importantly, the trade has to make sense for BOTH teams. Nobody is giving you a young all star big man and a developing 8th pick to get a horrific defender that's still owed $90 millions!

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 16, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 16, 2010 10:36 AM

Did You read this ????

Arenas to Knicks? Walsh says wait and see
January, 15, 2010 Jan 1510:06PM ETEmail Print Share By Chris Sheridan

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Nah, I will trade NY while some people still fantasize him. In fact I would not mind replace our entire bench with 10-day contract guys, and find some keepers, someone who is willing to hustle and play!

Posted by: sagaliba | January 16, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

This goes beyond friendship, EG has destroyed this team on and off the court. He should be held responsible for the team basketball woes especially considering it has the 8th highest payroll in the league and he should definitely be held accountable for the current Gil disaster as he was the master enabler.
Under his watch, the team is the laughinstock of the NBA.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 16, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Under his watch, the team is the laughinstock of the NBA.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 16, 2010

I would say he did a good not great job getting players for Eddie Jordan if i am not mistaken EJ got those players to get us to the playoffs what was it 4 years straight that was not too bad considering how bad the wizards had been for such a very long time

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 16, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I said I'd "take" them.

Meaning those are the only 3 guys on the Knicks roster that I'd be interested in for playing purposes (as opposed to expiring contract purposes).

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Another thought are the payers that bad NO Are the coaches that bad NO My opinion is a middle ground that the players simply are not able to give what Flip Saunders wants so if that is the case you trade them to other teams and try and build a team that flip can coach because everyone says KG mad Flip Saunders and that he had a great team behind him in Detroit but if those players had not bought into flips system he would never have had all those great years with those teams

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 16, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I appreciate that the Wiz battled in Chicago last night. A win would have been very nice though.

It's going to be interesting to see what develops in the next 8 months, with big changes possibly soon. Again, when will Leonsis be the owner?

Posted by: 7snider7 | January 16, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"I did not see the game, but according to Lee's recap it sounds like there was alot of Randy Foye missing shots and turning the ball over at crucial moments.Posted by: p1funk"

It was an odd recap, because overall, turnovers were not a factor in the game. Chicago had 9, the Wiz 6, and if you follow either team, you know they're often way above that. In Chicago, Kirk Hinrich is getting credit for the team's improved play (not just his outside shooting but his ability to take over some of the ball-handling.) Derrick Rose is no outside threat and having Hinrich on the court seems to take a lot of pressure off Rose. He can go to the basket with impunity.

When I see John Wall of Kentucky, I think Derrick Rose. A very gifted but limited player.

Having Foye as the primary ball handler vs Arenas is night and day. Randy doesn't have those offensive gifts but he's a solid shooter and a whole step up on defense. The criticism of Foye is that he can't stay in front of quick point guards like Chris Paul, and that's true. The Wiz seem to play a more settled brand of basketball with Foye in there and Jamison as the primary scoring option. How long that will last is anybody's guess.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 16, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

dc man, and darnell
You really think the Wiz will sign a top tier free agent if they clear room by hanging their franchise player out to dry and getting out of there contract with him?

Really?

you guys make all basketball fans and anyone that comments on the entire web (not just here) look bad.

DC is not a destination for all-stars, they maybe develop here but we rarely get them as established all-stars.

@blurred good one.