Gilbert Arenas pleads guilty to felony (Updated)

Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas just pleaded guilty in D.C. Superior Court to a felony count of carrying a pistol without a license.

From Dan Steinberg, who is at the courthouse: The plea agreement has prosecutors recommending the low end of guidelines, which have a maximum sentence of six months. The sentencing hearing is scheduled for March 26.

Arenas wore a charcoal, pinstriped suit and spoke quietly, all "yes sirs" and "no sirs."

Evidence would have included the claim that Arenas brought a backpack carrying a weapon to Verizon Center on Dec. 21, the day of the incident.

Update: Here is the full story with details of Arenas's plea agreement.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 15, 2010; 2:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steinberg at courthouse
Next: Statement from Arenas's attorney

Comments

Posted by: farstriker | January 15, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

What a terrible year for Arenas: He's half as good as he used to be at basketball, his fiance has been cheating on him with Shaq, and now he gets to go to prison. He'll be lucky to be in the NBA again after this year.

Posted by: awb9h | January 15, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"In a world of adults like what he finds himself in now, he's out of his league."

I hope he does not go to jail, but he has to start acting like an adult.

Maybe he gets probation and they recommend counceling or something.

Who knows.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 15, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsfan4305 | January 15, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I thought a plea agreement came with a sentence already set. He now has to wait 2 months to hear his sentence. Oh, the torture.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | January 15, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Arenas will be back to the nba with no problem, just not with the Wizards which I am 100% certain they will void his contract after we know how long Arenas will do jail-time. meanwhile, JC career is over!

Posted by: demonj21 | January 15, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

All these people claiming that money and fame are getting Arenas off easy are stupid. In today's society with 24 new coverage, being famous with money, does you nothing but harm. Ask Vick or Plaxico. People's obsession with seeing Arenas goto jail is so perverse. Arenas has done more good for the community than everyone posting here combined. Get a life and stop hoping that others fail in theirs.

Posted by: dominic10464 | January 15, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Despite being amazingly "lovable," Gil has held the Wizards franchise hostage for about 4 years now. First it was "if you don't sign this guy or draft this guy - I'll opt out." Then it was "I will rehab my knee according to my crazy theories and play if and when I want to." Then "I'll take a little paycut if you sign AJ to a crazy extension." Hey I love him too - I even have 5 pairs of Gil Zeros, but Ernie bet the whole franchise on him and now the franchise has been dealt an incredible knockout blow for the next 3-5 years.

Posted by: thinker11 | January 15, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"How the hell is he getting the low end of the deal, I guess it just goes to show once again money and being a superstar and can get you off of any charge. If he was a normal everyday person hed see no less than a year

Posted by: redskinsfan4305 | January 15, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse "

For a felony, the max is 5 years...the minimum is 6 months, but it's up to the judge's discretion.

In any regard, I wish the Pranksta would have done some goofy things in court today.

It would have at least spiced things up.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

plea deals dont come with guaranteed sentences, only recommendation from prosecutors to the judge. i'm a bit surprised no sentence was handed down today.

lets face it, gilbert is a bit lucky because he could have gotten four felony counts and be looking at serious jail time.

as for the low end of the sentence. well, this is about the most benign case of carrying a pistol you will probably find. how many of these cases involve unloaded weapons in a place of work where the perp reports the crime? gilbert has apparantly been cooperative with the police, prosecutors and grand jury. i would guess most CPWOL cases involve loaded pistols in cars or in public with uncooperative perps. not excusing what he's done, its a crime but not the worst of its kind.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 15, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

last I checked, Plaxico Burress is spending 3 years in jail, and Mike Vick had significant hard time, so let's not paint with such a large brush.

Maybe jail time in this particular case doesn't serve the community's purpose as much as an alternative penalty. Let's wait and see. Remember, we don't know the facts, the prosecutors do.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 15, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Dominic Im not wishing him to go to jail in any hope. But if this was joe blow hed be gone first offense or not. Are you forgetting that he had a prior offense when he was in Cali for the same thing. Let me ask you this look at the Manning brothers, London Fletcher, Antwan Jamison their smart enough not to do stupid stuff. If you do the crime u should do the time

Posted by: redskinsfan4305 | January 15, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"At times like this, I confess I feel a bit sorry for him. In a world of adults like what he finds himself in now, he's out of his league.

Posted by: farstriker | January 15, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse "

Or so he makes you think he is.

Regardless, he's an adult and needs to take responsibility for his actions, and accept any jail sentence that he may receive.

Being a gun owner, and pleading ignorance to gun laws, makes no sense.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1, good perspective.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 15, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dominic10464

You have to be kidding. Do you think the average black man would be getting this deal? This is his 2nd firearms violation. His celebrity and money are what is keeping him from at least 1 year in jail.

Posted by: Boogadiggy | January 15, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Gil's season is over and the Philly game may have been the last any of us see Gil in a Wiz uniform.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 15, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

So...on to basketball.

Can Haywood handle Noah?

Posted by: Blurred | January 15, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

We're blaming Gil for the Wizards not having a backbone (or a clue)?

Posted by: tgif11 | January 15, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Espn speculates he will get 30 to 90 days. I like Gilbert as a human being but he deserves to be punished as we all would if we did the same thing at our workplace. As a franchise you can't win if your best player
A. Doesn't want to be a leader
B. Is a goofball

I would not move Jamison or Butler. These guys work hard and they are what you need in your locker room. I would remove Blatche, Stevenson, and Nick Young as it is now obvious that these guys either can't play(stevenson) or are lost causes(Blatche). Void Gilbert's deal if you can if not banish him until the off season maybe we can trade him for Bosh or something else.

Posted by: anacostia85 | January 15, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunatly Flip came to win a championship and that's not going to happen. Had there been parody in the NBA; Delonte West, Stephen Jackson, Latrell Sprewell (by far the worst) Gil would still be playing.

Posted by: Gooddad | January 15, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I even have 5 pairs of Gil Zeros

You are a real fan. those shoes suck, even by adidas standards they are garbage.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 15, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I hope he learns a lesson from what he is going through. One player, because of his pride and arrogance has thrown a whole organization into chaos. what bothers me is that he is not even half as good as the Lebrons, Kobes and D-wade but is soo proud. I hope Ernie Grunfeld is fired for all this mess.

Posted by: kayb775 | January 15, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

So much for the "Goof-ball defense." Not nearly effective as the, "Twinkie defense."

"So...on to basketball.
Can Haywood handle Noah?"

On to basketball? Are you crazy? There are two solid months worth of speculation on Gilbert between now and sentencing.

Posted by: midlevex | January 15, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"I hope Gil is given no more than probation; he's done many a good thing for D.C. When you do right no one remembers, when you do wrong no one forgets. How quick people turn when things go wrong, character is shown during times of adversity...a man can smile in the face of scrutiny. Unfortunately, this society has to see a man break to be humbled and forgive, I've said from the onset he had his own way of dealing with things. I C Web left...so did my affection for the wiz (Wes Unseld (error) era...when Gil leave...so long, farewell.

Posted by: Gooddad | January 15, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse "

Doesn't matter....Gilby did it to himself.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

We're blaming Gil for the Wizards not having a backbone (or a clue)?

Posted by: tgif11 | January 15, 2010 3:27 PM

I think my post blames Ernie for allowing Gil to do this to the team more than the other way around.

Posted by: thinker11 | January 15, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert will be very lucky if he gets off with a 6-month sentence and some community service. He made a very stupid (and illegal) move bringing guns to the VC. None of us really know whether the threat he made to JC was real (or perceived as threatening). Bottom line is that he was lucky to get off as easily as he did because he had a high-priced attorney representing him. It could have been up to 20 years if he was prosecuted and found guilty.

It's time for the Wizards to put this sordid chapter in the team's history in their rear view mirror and start the rebuilding process. As much as I love AJ and Butler, they are our best pieces to acquire some young talent. Removing some of the deadwood like Blatche, Stevenson, and Mike James is equally as important to free up roster spots and cap space.

It's going to be at least 3-5 years before the Wiz can field a competitive team as Haywood, Miller, and Foye will all be gone as FA's after the year as well.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 15, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse