Jamison: 'It's an embarrassment'

A day after NBA Commissioner David Stern announced the suspensions of Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenten for the rest of the season, the mood at Washington Wizards practice today was predictably reserved.

Center Brendan Haywood said he would answer only basketball-related questions, although he did give his Super Bowl prediction to a TV crew. He like the Colts, in case you're wondering. Guard-forward Caron Butler, meantime, declined to say anything at all.

But as he has done all season, forward Antawn Jamison stepped in front of the cameras, the microphones and tape recorders and represented the team in the way a captain is expected, even if it meant speaking the truth about a season that has unraveled both on and off the court.

"To be honest man, I'm not happy," Jamison said. "It's an embarrassment. To go through the things that we went through this year and to have the expectations . . . as a group and to be where we're at right now, this a very disappointing season."

The Wizards (14-30) have lost four in a row, all at home, and own the second worst record in the Eastern Conference. The only team below Washington in the standings is New Jersey, which on Wednesday night won for the fourth time this season. The Wizards visit the Nets on Friday.

"I'm struggling a little bit," Jamison said. "I thought last year was tough, but it's very disappointing. A couple years ago you're in the second round [of the playoffs] on the doorstep trying to break through, and now you're at the bottom of the pack, and you just sit there and ask questions like, 'Where did it go wrong?' For me, I'm struggling a bit mentally."

Wizards Coach Flip Saunders also has been through a season unlike any other in his 13 years in the NBA, and rather than discussing on-court strategy, he has been forced to field countless questions about the state of the team and the direction of the franchise in the wake of the Arenas and Crittenten gun incident.

Saunders said the team has been in communication with Arenas, but he said he did not want to get into specifics.

"I know he's hurting," Saunders said of Arenas. "He's texted me, and he called, and we talked. He's just mentioned from the standpoint that he felt he's let me down, and I think he understands the magnitude of what's happened. . . .

"I'm disappointed as the situation evolved, as anyone would be, because I don't think there's any place for that. But it doesn't take away how I feel about him. The most important thing is I want him as a person to make sure he can get on with his life, get on with his career, when that time comes."

By Gene Wang  |  January 28, 2010; 3:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bog on Mike James and David Stern
Next: Morning Brew; Suspension reactions, a trade rumor

Comments

I went to every home game last year and as bad as that was, I kept telling myself it would be different this year once we had all our guys back. To see what has happened this year is way more disappointing than last year.

Posted by: jonathan30033 | January 28, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Jamison sure is an "I" guy. I this and I that...how about the fans.

I guess "Our Time" was all about the players?

Todays players don't realize there is a big difference between playing in front of 15,000 people (some nights) versus playing out on the courts where the only people watching are those who are waiting to come in the and play after one team loses?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 28, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Gene Wang with the article

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 28, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan78: You're calling out Jamison for saying "I", but all you care about is your own entertainment. These people, no matter how highly they're paid to perform for you, are human beings, same as you. Try to find a little empathy.

Posted by: IrenePollin | January 28, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I can help Jamison figure everything out.

You see, a lot of teams have gotten better over the last three years and the Wizards are no longer good enough to beat those teams.

Hope I've been helpful.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 28, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Jamison will be out of town soon enough and hopefully on a contender like Cleveland where this nightmare can be left in the rear view mirror.

The Wizards need to start over from scratch much as the Caps did after Jagr blew up on them.

Arenas has had the same effect here and getting out from under his contract should be a stern lesson for the new owners.

Don't sign players to max deals unless they are truly superstar players.

Arenas was never Kobe, LeBron, Dwyane Wade or Carmelo Anthony.

He was never going to be a true face of the franchise because he never was a leader.

He refused to work on his game and improve to be a true two-way performer.

Kobe can score 45 points but he also plays first-team defense.

Ditto with Michael Jordan.

Gilbert at one time could score the 45 but his counterpart would get 35-40.

And that's why this team was 42-40 and 45-37 with Gilbert and not 55-27.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 28, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

on marc stein's espn podcast the host asked another employee of espn who claimed to not follow nba much "what's your understanding of what happened"

the guy said

"Crittendon owed Arenas money from a poker game and refused to pay him, so Arenas pulled a gun on him before practice and demanded his money."

that's from a guy who works at espn, yet still only knows the Vescey story.

good thing the wapo waited to report the facts huh?

Posted by: divi3 | January 28, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Irene,

Surely you jest?

First this is a stupid blog created for fans to give their opinion. Jamison gets paid to perform as a basketball player….can’t you see the difference?

Jamison said. 'Where did it go wrong?' For me, I'm struggling a bit mentally."

I could live with AJ if he said; for me “I” refuse to play defense, I refuse to pass the ball, “I” refuse to go inside and get to the free throw line, “I” am going to get my points and really don’t care about playing as a team, “I” blame the young guys for not knowing better and “I” took that big fat pay check.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 28, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

real talk

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 28, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

There's room on the New Bandwagon. Come on over, folks. Rock the Red, and LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Konofish | January 28, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 28, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

In other words, you could live with him if he agreed with you.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 28, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

The mood is rebuilding. From the body languge of the so called all star players in the team, no one could worth to be the core of the rebulding process.Non of the roll players have the talent or potential to build a team around.the front desk people average IQ is around 87. How are we going to rebuild?
1/ the 1st action is to get a cup space.
try to trade AJ and CB for expiring contract and 1st round pick(23 million)cup space for 2010-11
MM.MJ,JC and BH(24 million), It is hard to find good centers,but BH will retire before we reach to a contending level,so no need to hesitate to let him go by the end of the season if we are not geting 1st round pick by the trade date.
2/If we give 10 million for the lotery pick and 2 more 1st round picks, there will be extra 36,million.The 8 million is the over cup money, next seasons salary cup will be around 59 million, so we will have a net gain of 19 million, with out GA's money to look for a free agentany time in the next 2 seasons.
3/Foye is not a complete player for both gard positions, he is too small and slow to defend most SG's, he is not a true PG , does not play effective defense.The team should not hesitate to trade him any time or should not match any offer in summer.
4/NY, pure shooter keep him until his contract is over, decide smartly latter.
5/JM give him more minutes until the mid season trade and make him a starter for the rest of the season, see how he is going to develop, the list he will be a good center from the bench.
6/AB sell him any time you get a replacement
7/DS give him a DNp card for the rst of the season and evaluate him next year since no one will take him.
if the front desk work on such a plan,we will be able to win 35 games in 2010-11, 41 games in 2011-12 and will have a chance to be the top 2 teams in the east by 2012-13 season.
This is my fantasy for this ball club.

Posted by: gtefferra | January 28, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

is the u anywhere near the a on anybody's keyboard, or is there some value in "cup space" that i don't know about?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 28, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Cup space happens when you play small ball.

Posted by: jon_quest | January 28, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

It's a sad situation.
Let's not make it worse.
Did anybody learn anything from last season?
The vets played too many minutes on a team that wasn't going anywhere.
There was a chance to develop some bench players or find out weather they were worth keeping or not.
I can kinda excuse Eddie Tap for his maiden coaching job in trying to win but I think everyone expects Flip to bite the bullet (no pun) and see what he's got in Javale, Nick & Dom. Game time is the only way we'll know. We gotta get something out of this mess. Lets use it as a teaching period.

Posted by: VBFan | January 28, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

i like it,i like it a lot

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 28, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards are taken about as seriously as the Washington Generals these days. Besides the fact that the Wizards have uncertainty from the owner to the GM to the coach to the entire roster, this franchise is in great shape...

Posted by: randysbailin | January 28, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

.....this extra 19 milion and arenas 20 million can take us to any direction we want.
This is my fantasy for this ball club.

Posted by: gtefferra

Why you could not just say "keep nick and javale, trade the rest for as many picks as possible". Probally would have save you a little time.LOL

Posted by: dsquare | January 28, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Konofish | January 28, 2010 5:04 PM
You think I care LOL I could care less about the Caps or rock the red or hockey in general because Hockey is not my thing neither is baseball mainly only follow football and basketball other than that i spend my free time either fishing or hunting

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 28, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Gee Antawn, I'm sure your repeated failings in the postseason have nothing to do with the fact that you're the worst defensive player in the league.

As long as your strategy on defense is to take out your mouth guard and cry to the refs about the foul call you didn't get, your teams will remain in the lottery.

Everyone who follows the NBA knows the Wizards' biggest problem is defense, but you've done nothing to improve in that area since you got here. Stop focusing on Gilbert, the real embarrassment is you.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 28, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Eugene Wang-- Sorry to be picky, but you gotta learn how to spell "Crittenton" if you're going to be writing WaPo blogs - otherwise, I'll write it. The correct spelling is, like, everywhere on this page.

Posted by: Urnesto | January 28, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryc3 | January 28, 2010 6:08 PM

I will LMFAO if he gets traded to cleveland and wins the title this year

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 28, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

"Everyone who follows the NBA knows the Wizards' biggest problem is defense"

the team as it's being put on the floor right now is worse offensively than defensively imho

Posted by: divi3 | January 28, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I will LMFAO if he gets traded to cleveland and wins the title this year

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 28, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Do you really think LeBron is going to let him shoot that often?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 28, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I hate to see him go, because he has shown himself to be a real stand up guy on and off the court.

But I'll take a trade for Z, Hickson, and this year's, next year's, 2013 & 2015 1st rounders.

He is Cleveland's best opportunity to win this year. They may be more desperate to get him than we are to let him go. Hold out a week or two longer and they will be happy to make the trade.

After all, they are counting on keeping LeBron and all those picks being late 20th picks at best. We just hope LeBron splits or the Cavs team otherwise falls apart for at least one or more of those years.

Do the Houston trade for McGrady and ask for a 1st rounder sometime in the next couple years (preferably this one).

Posted by: Blurred | January 28, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Bye Twan , go to Cavs and get your ring.....pleeeeze. I do believe the Celtics & if not them (Kobe) will have lot to say about the where the title ends up! It would make my other wise miserable season a completly enjoyable one..Lebron,Shaq & Twan coming up short

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | January 28, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

MeTawn, yes it is an embarrassment, and you are playing a big part of it as captain of the team.

Congrats!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 28, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

My opinion is that Jamison is one of the top 6 or 7 PFs in the league. His role is to do what he does. That works fine if your Center makes folks scared to drive the lane and t=your SF is quick enough or big enough to play solid D. Here we had/have neither...

Posted by: Blurred | January 28, 2010 7:43 PM

So let me get this straight. A player you believe to be the 6th or 7th best PFs in the league has no responsibility for defense but the center, who is among the top 3 in blocks and the top 10 in rebounding, is the problem? And the days of the NBA enforcer are gone. You rarely if ever see centers or any othe players smashing guys as they go to the basket. The league doesn't tolerate it anymore.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 28, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

If you're not interested in supporting this team, then do us all a favor and remove yourself from this blog. This is a blog for fans of the Wizards, not people who hate the Wizards or want to dump on the Wizards or want to attack the players constantly.

Capisce?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 29, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Les BouleS do a good enough job dumping on themselves, and with players like Gilby, dumping on management, ownership, and yes, fellow players. Go check AB's shoes.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 29, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

"I'd use my assets to get off salary and try to restructure the whole thing," one Western Conference general manager said. "It didn't work. Push the reset button and try to create as much room as possible."

I caught a quarter of the Nets' fourth win the other night and it's hard to understand what's happened to them. They won 34 the season before and lost only Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson. Devin Harris is the sort of player many NBA clubs would love and Brook Lopez is becoming a legit All-Star candidate. Yi still looks lost from time to time but you can see the obvious talent. It's a club without a big-time scorer, and that hurts, but four wins? Hard to understand.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 29, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I chuckle on here everytime I see references to McGee being the center piece to our future and he is untouchable to trades and the like.

This coach treats McGee as an afterthought and I don't see any consideration of developing the young stud. I guess one day one gamenight, he will show up NBA certified ready to play according to the standards of Flipo'.

The future centerpiece to your franchise gets no valuable gametime development. None. Squat. Zippo. Nota'.

Yeah, good luck with that Flip and Ernie.

But's it's all good, Par For The Course For This Franchise.

Hell, they can't even sell it right.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | January 29, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I have always been kind of on the fence about Jamison. I have never thought he was right for the Wizards. I tend to think with him as #1 or #2 option or "best player" the team takes on his personality. What has been the universal critisizm of the team?
No Defense and Jump shooting.

He could be okay for another team but we don't have any players that offset his weaknesses.

I'm not going to kill him for what he says to the media though. I don't think he means harm. I think he knows his and the teams weaknesses, but he still tries to intelligently represent the team when asked questions. He may not intend to be selfish but sometime his game just appears that way. He will shoot 3's before any offensive set is run,force those flip shots, and watches on D.

He seems like a good dude and has character, but unfortunately the goal is to try get good character guys that can help you WIN.

You can't keep pointing out someone's stats and say they're the best player on the team and ignore the fact that the team is not getting better and appears to be getting worst.

Posted by: millineumman | January 29, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Other than Arenas, the most important subject is the sale of the Wizards.

Embarressment. LOL.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Let me see.

Leonosis owns the Caps and the Mystics outright and 44% of WS&E.

The Pollins own 56% of WS&E.

Washington Sports & Entertainment, L.P. is a multi-faceted organization managing sports and entertainment events, a professional sports team and two arenas. Based in Washington, D.C., WSELP consists of five major divisions: the Washington Wizards of the NBA; Verizon Center, the state-of-the-art, 20,000-seat sports and entertainment facility located in Washington, D.C.; Ticketmaster, the Washington-Baltimore ticketing service; Musicentre Productions, an in-house concert promoter; and the management division which oversees The George Mason University Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA.

Lincoln Holdings LLC is an investment partnership comprised of 11 area business leaders including majority owner and chairman, Ted Leonsis. In the spring of 1999, Lincoln Holdings LLC purchased 100% of the Washington Capitals and approximately 44% of Washington Sports & Entertainment LP (WSELP), with the right of first refusal on the sale of any of the individual teams or assets, as well as an option to purchase the Pollin’s majority interest in WSELP. In the summer of 2005, Lincoln Holdings purchased the Washington Mystics from WSELP. Additional partners of Lincoln Holdings LLC include Dick Patrick, Jack Davies, Richard Fairbank, Raul Fernandez, Sheila C. Johnson, Richard Kay, Jeong Kim, Mark Lerner and George Stamas.

So, are the Pollins only selling the Wizards. If they are, no one is going to pay $900 mil for just the Wizards.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

And Next.

What is this memo floating around by the Wizards that Ted doesn't have the right to buy first and to match 2nd.

Where I come from that could be bargaining in bad faith.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Where I come from that could be bargaining in bad faith.

LarryInClintonMD.

-----------

The whole shebang is being sold.

The WaPost piece which confused you was badly written. All terms are as originally represented.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 29, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

The whole shebang is being sold.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 29, 2010 9:18 AM

Well. That is some straightforward clarity.

Thanks.

Now that the terms are clear. It seems apparent to me that the Pollins are overstating the value of their majority share.

It seems to me the value of the whole 'Shebang' is intrinsic in Leonsis 44%.

I could be off base in this but I think the Pollins personal attachment has inflated what they think is the value of their 55%.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

But then too, I guess thats is why they are proceeding the way they are with the appraisal process.

But you would think that the Pollins would already know what a fair offer is for their majority share.

Maybe the proper process is being played out but it seems another incident of this Org' not being on top of things.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Apologists for the players, apologists for the management, and ownership, stop, just stop. Enough already !!!! The entire ball of wax stinks that is all things WIZARDS. I stopped being entertained by this franchise a long time ago.

Now my grandchildren have taken their place in my heart and my wallet. So I check in to see what's up, but you just can't care about this investment group, or you will get your psyche broken.

Everybody's selling entertainment and sports takes a back-seat. Not me brother. I'm not buying the shyt this club and the NBA is shoveling.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"Which is hard for a GM to admit to the public, unless you want ticket sales and viewership to dry up completely -- which you most definitely do not. As much as folks here have been wanting the team to openly sacrifice the present for the future, the people that buy tickets and watch the occasional game would rather see a team with a chance to win. "

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 29, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Come on Glawrence007, the grands would have taken your heart and money no matter what the reason.

Have faith, things could change. Sport is not supposed to be taken that seriously.

But clearly, you still still have reservations for the sport of NBA ball.

Sounds like you stay keenly aware of the goinsons' whilst you are just checkin' in.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"Granted. But the cold hard reality is that this team, as currently constructed, does not, cannot, and will not have a chance to win. So the choice isn't between a team with a chance to win and a team without one. It's between a team with no chance to win now and limited-to-no options for getting better in the short term, or a team with no chance to win now that is at least positioning itself to get better in the next few years.Posted by: kalo_rama"

Sad but true. Leonsis bit the bullet and told the fans. Praised as a brilliant tactical move now, but at the time, not at all popular.

Grunfeld's not the owner, so he probably can't do the same.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 29, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Only when you post brother, only when you post. You be da' man. It's the camaradarie here not the WIZ, I come for - when there's time of course.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama"

I wonder, does your apt description of this team have anything to do with coaching philosophy???

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@LarryInClintonMD,

Dude how can you not see the destruction/contamination Gilbert Areneas has caused to this team and franchise.

No coach in the history of coaching could do anything with the carnage left by your boy , the supposed franchise player, Gilbert Arenas..

Posted by: kevenjones | January 29, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama"

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 11:54 AM

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"@DC_MAN88: How's AJ playing a big part in this? Is it just because he's the captain? What was he supposed to do: put a muzzle on Arenas? Pls. Stop with the irrational and unfounded criticism. Regardless of how bad the wizards have been on the court, they became a national joke because of Arenas and Critts' actions. We sucked last year but I didn't see us being the butt of late night jokes.

Posted by: tundey | January 29, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse "

Captains are responsible.

If he can't reign in the nonsense in the locker room, instead of just saying "That's Gil..." then he needs he needs to step down.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 29, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse