Larry Hughes on Arenas: 'He'll be back' with Wizards

The relationship between Gilbert Arenas and the Washington Wizards has soured to seemingly irrevocable levels, with both sides upset with each other in the aftermath of his felony gun charge and season-ending suspension.

An ugly divorce appears inevitable, with speculation that the Wizards would look into voiding Arenas's contract, agree to a buyout on the rest of his six-year, $111-million contract or consumate a trade. But Larry Hughes, Arenas's teammate for three of Arenas's first four seasons in the league with Golden State and Washington, said he believes that Arenas will eventually wear a Wizards uniform again.

"Honestly I do," Hughes said before the Knicks played the Wizards on Saturday. "This is a special place. When you've played here and the city gets behind you, you realize what the fans want, what the city wants. I think he'll come to realize that. I can see it."

Hughes is aware that the Wizards have removed most images of their former franchise player from the Verizon Center -- including a large banner on Sixth Street -- and that Arenas has expressed his displeasure with Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld. He said the hurt feelings would eventually heal.

"You get in trouble, you're mad at the authority but I think it will blow over," he said. "I can see him back here. Fans love him here. I haven't been in the city to know what's been said about him. But the time I was here and even when I came back with Cleveland, they love him. Obviously, he'll have to get out and speak about what's going on, but I don't think they'll hold a grudge against him."

Hughes said he understood the organization's decision to distance itself from promoting Arenas in recent weeks. "It's a decision that they had to make. They have to protect the name of the organization. It's bigger than one guy. But the guys around here, they know he's a big part of what's going on here. I think things will get back to normal."

Hughes said that he hasn't spoken to Arenas since his indefinite suspension was handed down on Jan. 6, but he has reached out to Arenas via text message and left him a voice message on his cellphone. "I've been giving him time to get himself together and reflect on what's going on," he said. "I understand, when you make a mistake and everybody is watching you, kind of need your space to get everything right. He'll start returning phone calls once he gets back focused."

Arenas's 50-game suspension is the third most severe non-drug related punishment ever handed out, but Hughes said he understands Commissioner David Stern's decision. He believes Arenas does, too.

"I think he understands what he did wrong," Hughes said. "The commissioner made a respectable decision. I don't think there was any malice to his decision as far as the remainder of the season. I think Gil respects that, because he did make a big mistake. He doesn't want to lose that playing time or that money. I think he understands that he made a big enough mistake that warranted that kind of punishment. But he'll be back. He'll be back."

By Michael Lee  |  January 30, 2010; 8:39 PM ET
 | Tags: Washington Wizards; NBA; David Stern; Gilbert Arenas; Larry Hughes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Knicks (18-27) at Wizards (15-30)
Next: Wizards 106, Knicks 96

Comments

Will Larry be back on the cheap this summer?

Posted by: DMoney28 | January 30, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Larry and Gil played well off each other in the past. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gil and Larry in a Wizards uniform this fall.

Posted by: and_1 | January 30, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Interesting, even if Gil come back next year I still think they should make some major moves.

Will Larry be back on the cheap this summer?
Posted by: DMoney28 |
I would support that decision only if Gil comes back.
I still think Carron would like to leave, Antawn and his jumpers should be replace with a post presents and Im not sold on most of in our other players. MM refuse to shoot the ball and to slow on defense Foye could be the first guard off the bench. I guess Nick can be the 4th guard off the bench. But our entire front court must replaced.

Posted by: dsquare | January 30, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I have a question though to our bloggers, lets say Lebron leave Cleveland. Why we as Wiz fans are not supporting the idea of trading Antawn for Ilgauskas and a first. Enie has to know if Lebron is leaving so why not ask for next years #1. We all know we going to buy ZI out and he then will return to Cleveland. Who cares if they win the title this year. Why do we have to have Hickson, who Ernie wanted included in the deal. Why is Ernie demanding 2 of Portland young players why not just take one (N. Batum.),Miles contract and 2nd rounder for DS and BTH.

Posted by: dsquare | January 30, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

You notice Larry's on the bench a lot this season. He's averaging 27 minutes but that's deceptive because some games he just sits. He still gets his assists and boards but he's shooting 36 percent, considerably under his career average, and he's still only 29% from the arc (never his strength). The flashes of greatness you saw in Washington are a memory.

Hughes thinks Gilbert will play again in Washington. Time and money do heal all wounds, at least in pro sports. I could see it happening if the Wiz are unable to rid themselves of Gil for anything approaching legit value. He's untradeable at the moment, but once reinstated, GMs around the league (at least some) will begin noticing the guy was averaging 20 points a game.

Fact is, there was probably never much chance of a lifetime ban on Arenas based on this incident. The League wanted to rid itself of an image problem, and the club wanted out of a damaging contract, but it's hard to keep a man from his occupation in the US, if he's got enough money to hire a team of good lawyers.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 30, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Are we going for two in row?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 30, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh my! Two in a row again!

Posted by: amorris525 | January 30, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

C'mon....those quotes from LH are pretty much worthless.

If he's right....whoopee...

If he's wrong....no sweat off his back...

Again, meaningless.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 30, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Was on another blog site tonight and this guy had a handle called gilfanactic.

He wanted to know how to change it. Poor guy. He might just want to hang in their.

The Phoenix will rise again, to the chagrin of 88 and others.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 30, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

"Was on another blog site tonight and this guy had a handle called gilfanactic.

The Phoenix will rise again, to the chagrin of 88 and others.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 30, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse "

And the phoenix will get blasted by a shotgun again.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 30, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for doing your job Mike and posting things fans of the Wiz want to read.

Posted by: DMoney28 | January 30, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

"You're right DCman, we don't want to hear the opinion of a friend and former teammate of Gils...

Thanks for doing your job Mike and posting things fans of the Wiz want to read.

Posted by: DMoney28 | January 30, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse "

Yes, it's meaningless.

Gilby's friend, the Game, also said that Gilby should be banned from the NBA.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 30, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's meaningless.

Gilby's friend, the Game, also said that Gilby should be banned from the NBA.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 30, 2010 11:17 PM

Seems you and Gilbert are in good company.

LOL

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 30, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, you are such a bright fellow. You have fellow bloggers here that think you should be banned from the site.

Seems you and Gilbert are in good company.

LOL

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 30, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse "

Can't call you bright though....or I'd be lyin'.

You should be banned too...for stupidity.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 30, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I know you wish I really were stupid, but the fact is I'm not and you know it.

You just like to use low blows to throw folks off, but they don't work with me.

Hollerin back at a Big Dog leaves a little bit something to be desired in yo' case.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the Wizards could go .500 in the month of February?

2-1 vs Bos L
2-3 @ NY W
2-5 @ Orl L
2-6 vs Atl L
2-9 @ Chr W
2-17 vs Minn W
2-19 vs Den L
2-20 @ Tor L
2-22 vs Chi W
2-24 vs Mem L
2-26 vs NY W
2-28 @ NJ W

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

"I know you wish I really were stupid, but the fact is I'm not and you know it.

You just like to use low blows to throw folks off, but they don't work with me.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse "

I think I just proved my point ForrestInClintonMD.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me you both are peas in a pod.

You know what they say when two people don't get along cause they both are about the same.

Why don't you give Gilbert a holla'. I think you both might work out just fine.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me you both are peas in a pod.

Why don't you give Gilbert a holla'. I think you both might work out just fine.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

"Gilbert needs some company. Whataya' say DC_Man88, your extreme views on this site is about as bad as Gilbert's antic's.

Seems to me you both are peas in a pod.

Why don't you give Gilbert a holla'. I think you both might work out just fine.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse "

You are so useless.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Yes, it's meaningless.

Gilby's friend, the Game, also said that Gilby should be banned from the NBA.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Meaningless is your existance on this planet. GTFO pest!

Posted by: adisli | January 31, 2010 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: adisli | January 31, 2010 3:44 AM | Report abuse

gilbert or ernie

choose one

Posted by: zengomi | January 31, 2010 4:50 AM | Report abuse

Hughes doesn't get it. The party is over for gun-toters. The players need to clean up their act.

Posted by: Izman | January 31, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

"Meaningless is your existance on this planet. GTFO pest!

Posted by: adisli | January 31, 2010 3:37 AM | Report abuse "

Waaaah!!!!!

F'n d0uche.

I predicted Gilby's collapse, and it came true.

Deal with it.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"Larry, DC Man is a lowlife scumbag that the only thing he achieved in his pathetic life is to make himslef hated by everyone that reads this site. Don't bother with this idiot..

Posted by: adisli | January 31, 2010 3:44 AM | Report abuse "

And Larry is a total moron and you're close behind.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Izman | January 31, 2010 7:16 AM

At what point did Hughes say, "Gun toting is good."?

Hughes explicitly said that Gil made a big mistake and that he respected Stern's decision.

So maybe YOU don't get it.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

who f*kn cares what Hughes has to say... who writes and posts this garbage anyway. Get a job maybe at NYPost. Ha

Posted by: horace1 | January 31, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Are those supposed to be comforting words from Hughes?

Geez......'everyone there loves him'......

I don't love him.

I don't want to ever see that clown in a Washington uniform again.

What the heck did he ever do here that is memorable?

Score some points?

So what.

Michael Adams averaged 26 points in Paul Westhead's ridiculous run and gun offense in Denver in the 1990's.

And just like Arenas's 27 per game, it lead to nothing but a first round playoff exit.

Posted by: leopard09 | February 1, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse