Morning Brew; Suspension reactions, a trade rumor

The day after NBA Commissioner David Stern suspended guards Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton, I wrote about how the Washington Wizards face an uncertain future. I also answered several questions about the Wizards in a two-hour chat on Thursday.

Mike Wise wrote that this is time for all parties involved to do the right thing: Arenas and Crittenton should repair their reputations in time to join new teams next season, while the Wizards should trade Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler at the deadline.

In Wilbon's World, Mike Wilbon also writes about how the suspensions are now followed by a lot of suspense that will inevitably lead to a messy divorce between the Wizards and Arenas.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution columnist Mark Bradley writes that Crittenton, the former Georgia Tech point guard,needs to grab hold of his career.

On his personal blog, Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis writes that he is "very confident" that he will still buy the Wizards and claims that he offered "one of the highest prices ever paid for an NBA team." A source tells the AP that Leonsis and the Pollin family disagree on the wording of the current agreement.

On ESPN.com, Marc Stein writes that the Wizards were rebuffed in a trade proposal asking for Rudy Fernandez and Nicolas Batum from center depleted Portland in exchange for Brendan Haywood.

CBS Sports' Ken Berger writes that David Stern dropped the hammer on the Wizards to send a message to the rest of the league about guns in the workplace.

AOL Fanhouse columnist Terence Moore talks to Harry Edwards, the professor emeritus of sociology at the University of California-Berkeley, who says that the NBA and other sports leagues "dodged a bullet" with the Arenas-Crittenton situation in that it didn't end with someone getting shot.

Antawn Jamison tells Gene Wang that this incident is "an embarrassment" and is denied his desire to return to Dallas an all-star. The Eastern Conference goes with forwards Chris Bosh, Paul Pierce and Gerald Wallace, showing that wins stand out more than averaging 21.9 points and 8.7 rebounds.

Jamison also talks with AOL Fanhouse's David Steele about what might've been for the Wizards.

By Michael Lee  |  January 29, 2010; 10:13 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jamison: 'It's an embarrassment'
Next: Poll: 'Where did it go wrong?'

Comments

Sounds like you stay keenly aware of the goinsons' whilst you are just checkin' in.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Only when you post brother, only when you post. You be da' man. It's the camaradarie here not the WIZ, I come for - when there's time of course.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

C'mon portland, do the deal. You need Brendan.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 29, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

It's still early. Portland may be more inclined to do the deal as the trade deadline draws closer.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 29, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Portland would be idiots to make that deal.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 29, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Portland would be idiots to make that deal.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 29, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I hope so.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

If Haywood is traded to Portland for Batum and Rudy Fernandez, who would you feel comfortable with starting at center full-time? I think Javale is an out of this world athlete, but his game knowledge is Star Wars light years away.

Posted by: G-Man11 | January 29, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"If Haywood is traded to Portland for Batum and Rudy Fernandez, who would you feel comfortable with starting at center full-time?"

What possible difference could it make?

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 29, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think Blatche is the logical short-term solution if Haywood is sent packing.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 29, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I just hope the Leonsis deal goes through before the Feb 19th trade deadline.

The last thing I want to see is Ernie making the trades that shape the Wizards future?

Irene please don’t let Ernie do anything foolish.

Haven’t the fans suffered enough under Abe?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 29, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

will portland consider any deal without getting haywood to agree to a long term deal first?

no way they'll give up rudy, he's THE fan favorite and a good player.

they've got 2 young, big PFs we may want...

get haywood out of here for something in return before he walks

Posted by: divi3 | January 29, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Portland is only interested in Haywood as a rental. There is little to no chance they'll sign him to a long-term deal as a FA or that they'd even be interested in doing so. So the odds of them giving up any real value to get him are very slim.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

and yes, OF COURSE mcgee plays the rest of the way at 5.

or do we wait until next season to find out what he's got?

Posted by: divi3 | January 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"And to facilitate that transition to a new team it might be in Arenas's best interest to let the team void his contract."

so he can sign up for $7mill/1yr somewhere else, instead of being guaranteed $80mill/4yrs?

does wilbon know the meaning of "best interest"?

Posted by: divi3 | January 29, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

does wilbon know the meaning of "best interest"?

I doubt it. It's so easy to give away someone else's money, isn't it?

Posted by: tgif11 | January 29, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

What possible difference could it make?

Posted by: kalo_rama

I agree. I wasn't considering Brendan being a free agent and signing elsewhere next year.

Posted by: G-Man11 | January 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I think Kalo is right: portland is only interested in Haywood in the short term, which means that they are unlikely to unload young talent. The other side of the argument, is that you can't carry a lot of young guys who will be up for new contracts all at the same time. So wouldn't it be wise to get a guy who can help now (this is a debatable assertion) for guys who don't provide a lot of minutes.

I was thinking about the possible Jamison trade to the cavs, and it occurred to me that Hickson might be a logical piece in any trade package. The irony, of course, is that Hickson would have been the right choice in the 2008 draft instead of McGee. But, unfortunately, EG doesn't like guys who can guard or play the post. He likes skinny guys who don't know how to play.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 29, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

hopefully the blazers go on a little run over the next 2 weeks, might induce them to see the haywood rental as more worthwhile

Posted by: divi3 | January 29, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

That argument doesn't hold much water because (A) the Blazers have one of the lowest payrolls in the NBA, having specifically positioned themselves to be able to re-sign their key young guys going forward (B) both Batum and Fernandez are under contract for at least 2 more years at relatively cheap salaries and (C) both Fernandez and Batum are guys who do provide a lot of (quality) minutes (at least when healthy; Batum had been hurt a good part of the season).

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 29, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | January 29, 2010 11:13 AM

Ugh, Uh, Uh, G-Man11, his game knowledge is Star Wars light years away???

Do you think that the fact that he dosen't have hardly any gametime minutes under his belt whilst he has been here is why.

Last year with that 19-win season that Ernie Grunfield and Ed Tappscott pissed away they could have given the fellow plenty of gametime knowledge and even this year he should have had a lot more gametime knowledge under his belt.

How is it that you seem to indicate and Ed Tappscott and Flip Saunders seem to think that JaVale McGee is going to learn how to play this NBA game on the bench?

Again, On The Bench?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Again, On The Bench?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Larry,

What's the one thing ETaps and Flip have in common?

Ernie!

I think both of them have been told what to do when it comes to who they play.

That's why I think Ernie and Flip need to be shown the door the way MJ was.

If Flip came here and sold his soul just for a pay check he isn't qualified to be an NBA coach.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 29, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I know Arenas is the hot topic. But, how come nobody talking about how Flip Saunders doing a terrible job with wizards?? I went to the wiz/lakers game, plus watch a few games on TV and they seem to play with no fire or energy. Plus, nobody talking about how " AJ and CB" are not playing like allstar.

IF THE WIZARDS LOSE TO NJ NETS 2NITE..PLEASE FIRE FLIP!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | January 29, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Larry

You would think that with his genetic pedigree he would already be more advanced from the neck up on the court. "Light years" may be an exageration, but he should have been more "seasoned" when he came out as a soph. He was not a 1-and-done freshman. Sure he was a backup his freshman year. I would have thought if I was financially secure, me and my baby mama were pro-ballers, and produced an athletic 7-footer, I would have made sure he went to all the camps, went to the best schools, played against the best at all levels.

He would have been McDonald's All-American and all that coming out of high school. The next phenom.

I do agree that he hasn't been giving more playing time, but why? You talking about a kid that got more natural ability than Garnett in my opinion. His talent level was "high lottery" and lots of teams passed.

Posted by: G-Man11 | January 29, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I was reading through Micheal Lee's chat yesterday and came across the answer to question about our bench player (I'm no longer going to use the words young players).

"The thing that makes this season more disappointing is that Andray Blatche has returned to form after a promising start, Nick Young has not improved, Dominic McGuire is barely in the rotation and JaVale McGee cannot see the floor. The young players should be the foundation for the future, but who can possibly be encouraged by how they've come along this season?"

This is the problem I have with the reporting on about the Wizards. How can you make that statement "but who can possibly be encouraged by how they've come along this season." I've watched almost every game this season and I've seen Nick Young play good basketball and he provide more scoring options that Steveson. Everything I see McGee play he outplays Oberto and Flips been playing Blatche at center and he is clearly not a center. I thought a part coaching is to develop your talent. It's time to start questioning why these guys aren't playing more.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 29, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Why would people think portland only want BTH for the rest of the year. Przybilla and Oden stay hurt all the time and 70 million dollar man Aldridge is taking a beating inside. So I guess all of you think Juwan is the answer. Please, personally I think BTH would fit in well in Portland and would really help them.

Posted by: dsquare | January 29, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"Why would people think portland only want BTH for the rest of the year. Przybilla and Oden stay hurt all the time and 70 million dollar man Aldridge is taking a beating inside. So I guess all of you think Juwan is the answer."

Yeah, because Haywood and Howard are the only two big men in the NBA, right?

Please.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 29, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I also think Nick Young has improved.
The reporters are always pro coach and pro managment.

Posted by: millineumman | January 29, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Why would people think portland only want BTH for the rest of the year.

Because they already have two better centers signed. And Haywood doesn't like to share minutes.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 29, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"I think both of them have been told what to do when it comes to who they play."

there's something we agree on bullets78, i see EG's hand in the rotations for sure. Still hoping that after the trade deadline we'll see plenty of Mcgee and NY, it's borderline retarded to have guys like that sit on the bench during a lost season.

Posted by: divi3 | January 29, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"So I guess all of you think Juwan is the answer. Please, personally I think BTH would fit in well in Portland and would really help them."

juwan easily outplayed haywood at center a few weeks ago, bth had his worst game of the season against portland. maybe that effed up the trade!

Posted by: divi3 | January 29, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"I also think Nick Young has improved.
The reporters are always pro coach and pro managment.

Posted by: millineumman"

to maintain "insider access" you have to play nice with the team. Digging into why Boykins plays more than NY or how Mcgee blocks 15 shots then doesnt play for a month will close a lot of doors.

Posted by: divi3 | January 29, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 29, 2010 12:44 PM

At this point in the season if they don't start getting more PT I too am gonna question who's calling the shots.

Don't kill AJ & CB's trade value by wearing them out in lost causes. If they get injured in losing a 20 point blowout we'll be cursed again.

Posted by: VBFan | January 29, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Check what Ted said above. I was spot on about the Pollins bargaining in bad faith.

What Ted said above was to remind them that the agreement as it currently stands is not in question.

That memo they are putting out questioning indicating that he does not have the first opportunity to buy goes squarely to bargaining in bad faith.

LarryInClintonMD.
LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

If Caron is moved then Young can get more playing time with Miller as a point forward. If he isn't moved then I don't see how Young gets playing time with Foye running the point.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 29, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

any owner willing to spend is fine by me, the key is getting the right GM to call the shots.

Posted by: divi3 | January 29, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"if the blazers want BTH long term, then they'll expect us to take Olden in a trade right? interesting...."

Not really. Why would they want to dump Oden? For all of the question marks, he's still young with plenty of potential. There's no need to give up on him at this point. If the Blazers have any interest in Haywood going forward, the guy they're going to want to get rid of is Przybilla, who's about the same age as Haywood and has a player option for about $7.5 mill next season. And they'd only do that if they thought Przybilla's injury was career-threatening, because if both are healthy, Przybilla is a better option than Haywood.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 29, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"given how deep in bed Leonsis already is with the Pollins, i sure hope there is no chance he wants to keep EG around to show him the ropes or whatever."

That makes no sense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 29, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

That makes no sense.

Posted by: kalo_rama

You dont think leonsis is very familiar with EG already? i'm assuming he knows the man very well at this point, moreso than he probably knows any other nba people from what i've read

Posted by: divi3 | January 29, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

If it is true that Ernie is calling the shots on how Flip is using the players as alluded to above, no fancy trades will make any difference.

And G-Man11, that being the case re: McGee, when are the Wizards going to put him on the fasttrack.

IMO, they got him on the slowtrack to nowhere.

But, all is well, like I said before, when his contract comes up, him and his momma won't be signing with this current group.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 29, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

you're right Larry. He'll be on one of those And1 buses going to some podunk town in Tennessee.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 29, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I do not like one of the two players to come to wiz.He is one of the european players who has back injury and long term contract.Butnum is young and good to have him here, portland need to add some body with an expiring contract for this deal, if EG is thinking the right way.

Posted by: gtefferra | January 29, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

If they can get Fernandez in this deal that would be wonderful. I would take Fernandez and bring Steve Blake back if that was possible.

Posted by: anacostia85 | January 29, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I'll keep it short. I've watched nearly every game Blatche and Young have played. Neither will ever have the "court sense" to be more than mediocre players who can be counted on to deliver night after night. No reason to build around them. If I had to keep one, I'd keep Nick.

Posted by: jthicks | January 29, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jthicks

------
Ditto, though I'd be more tempted to keep Blatche.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 29, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jthicks | January 29, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Blatche and Young can be much better players than they are right. For Nick, knowing that you can go on the court and play without looking over your shoulder for the hook is a big deal. He would be able to relax and play. It would make a world of difference. Flip has yanked him twice from the starting line in the middle of a game. That's like blaming him for why the team is losing.

Blatche is clearly being played out of position this year and last year. He's not a center. Play him as a power and I'm sure his game will improve again. Also, he plays much better as a starter. He hasn't played well enough of late to deserve to start, but neither has D. Steveson.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 29, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

How in the world can a trade for batumn and fernandez with BTH work since the salaries don't work?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 29, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

lmao...what in the world are you guys pining for Blatche, NY and McGee??? I too have seen virtually every game they have played or haven't played and they are simply not good. Mediocre role players at best. The notion that if you just play them during games and they will magically improve is laughable. You must realize that they play basketball on other occasions other than games, right? McGee still looks lost on a basketball court. He just has no basketball IQ. Strange considering his mom was a pro.

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 29, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse