New Arenas Statement

Ken Wainstein, attorney for Gilbert Arenas, issued the following statement by his client:

"I feel very badly that my actions have caused the NBA to suspend me, but I understand why the league took this action. I put the NBA in a negative light and let down my teammates and our fans. I am very sorry for doing that.

While I never intended any harm or disrespect to the NBA or anyone else, my gun possession at the Verizon Center and my attempts at humor showed terrible judgment. I take full responsibility for my conduct.

Earlier today, I called Commissioner Stern to apologize, and I hope we will be able to talk soon. I look forward to the day I can return to basketball. In the meantime, I will focus on dealing responsibly with this serious situation and I will continue to cooperate fully with the investigations by law enforcement and NBA authorities."

By Alexa Steele  |  January 6, 2010; 6:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NBA suspends Gilbert Arenas indefinitely
Next: Statement from Players Association

Comments

Let's see how this turns out. too bad it had to be today tho

Posted by: knowbow | January 6, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

We've heard (or should I say read) this apology before. We need to hear this directly from Gilbert's mouth because I believe this and the last statement are from his lawyers and not Gil.

I am a Gil fan but he is in this predicament solely by his own means and I don't feel sorry for him but I hope he learns a valuable lesson, a seriously valuably lesson, because this is the beginning of the rest of his life.

This is obviously a move by the Wizards through the league to rid itself of his contract and I believe they will be successful. I also believe Gil may have played his last game as a Wizard so prepare yourselves for the unknown future which is not a bad thing.

Also, get rid of EG, this is his mess and take Flip Saunders with him!

Posted by: zxhoya | January 6, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Fire Arenas, now.

Posted by: jackplane | January 6, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

SOME of you people are idiots and need to learn to read and get ALL the facts. Did Gil or did he not admit to having brought a gun into his locker at the Verizon Center? Ok that's fact 1.

(side note: can you go to a bar right now and say something sexually explicit to a woman without penalty? Yes. But what happens if you walked into work and said that same thing to a female co-worker? You would be disciplined and maybe fired. Why? Because there is a separate set of rules of conduct that you agree to when you accept a job)

Fact 2: it is against NBA league rules to bring a gun onto NBA property, ironically because of one of Gil's teammates at Golden State. So David Stern is 100% within his rights to suspend one of his employees for violating one of it's league rules of conduct based on facts 1 and 2. That has NOTHING to do with the ongoing investigation, even if no charges are filed against Gil again because of facts 1 and 2, especially since Gil showed no remorse with his words or actions which brought embarrassment to his employers, he deserves to be suspended. Do I think what Gil did was the most terrible thing ever? No. Do I think he should go to jail over this whole thing? No. As Barno1 CONTINUES to point out, Gil does a lot of charity work and is not a bad guy, just is incredibly immature. But Gil hasn't been banned from the league yet or had his contract voided. If he is convicted of a felony I suspect the latter will happen but he will still earn millions for another team. So come on people, stop being so outraged by the suspension like Gil's your son. So far his punishment has fit the crime.

And for the people pointing at Wiz management for doing nothing, did you not see the part where their boss (Stern) said he TOLD THEM to wait until the investigation was complete for legal reasons? Stern was going to let the process play out but Gil forced his hand with his behavior. And p.s. I'm a Gil fan

Posted by: detox04 | January 6, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

detox-

You lost me as soon as you compared threats with a firearm to calling a woman at a bar a name... you clearly do not get it

Posted by: S2DU | January 6, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

edit: at work, pardon me

Posted by: S2DU | January 6, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

No you don't get it. I was saying the NBA was within it's rights to suspend Gil even though he hasn't been charged of a crime because he violated an established company rule

Posted by: detox04 | January 6, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Anyone notice the other Wizard players laughing and enjoying Arenas' gestures in the Philadelphia picture?

All of them laughing should be traded they are a bunch of overpaid thugs and not basketball players.

This was not Arenas' first incident with a gun and certainly he has no comprehension of his actions.

When you overpay athletes they think money will buy them anything or get them out of anythingala OJ.

Posted by: NewbillJT | January 6, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Let me be clear. I was on the blog site when the news first hit. I said then that this was serious and that Gilbert and Crit careers were gone according to NBA rules.

Now that being said, due process I hold in very high regard. It was due process that blew the OJ Simpson case. The cops believing that he was the murderer and he might well have been, blew the case for the prosecution by monkeying around with the evidence. That is all due process.

Due process ignored makes a mockery of the Law. So alls I am saying is that if the NBA had and they do the right to suspend Gilbert, they should do it the right way.

I think time will tell that they have not.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 6, 2010 7:35 PM

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 6, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas demonstrates why even adult men (and women) need a good father, male role model, strong mother and/or female role model with back. Too bad the attorneys charging him those high fees did not prevent last night kamakazee behavior or issue a responsible statement before today. Gilbert, you need to sit down and chill. It's time to grow up Gilbert. You have a family to focus on too. I'd spend the next day or two crafting my own corrective action plan to prevent another black man's entry into the American penal system. So sad money and power were not enough to keep you straight. Shame on you. God forgives and the American people do too if you straighten up your act. Prayers for you and your family who has to tolerate you now that you get it. We hope.

Posted by: valentine2000 | January 6, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

If I brought three guns to work and got caught, I'd get fired.

I don't see what the big news is here.

A simple personnel ruling. He HAS to go.

Posted by: keithrjackson | January 6, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

BAN ARENAS FOR LIFE!

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | January 6, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I really enjoy knowing there are people like Gilbert in this world, a guy who could use his talent at a sport to bring himself up from being an abandoned kid, a homeless kid, and become a true super star and at the same time keep his sense of humor and splash a little generosity around to those he saw that needed it. But this is sad. This guy, for whatever reason, is either purposely pulling the plug on his own career, or truly does not have a grasp on reality. Somebody, by now, must certainly have explained to him that he could possibly (likely?) go to jail, maybe for several years, and yet, he keeps screwing around. What do you do with a guy like that? It's kind of fun to rail on him now, but I think we're also watching a train wreck that we're all going to feel pretty sorry about once the shouting dies down.

Posted by: clocker58 | January 6, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

What due process are you talking about? He brought guns into the locker room and got caught. WTF

Posted by: kevenjones | January 6, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Stuck on stupid. The original incident, the flippant remarks, and the "gun" pantomime. We can now add Arenas to the rapidly growing ranks of professional athletes who have screwed themselves by making stupid/homophobic/embarassing remarks on Twitter.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 6, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Arenas Happy Birthday.

Get some help man if necessary. Don't waste your talent or opportunities. Do not follow Starbury.

Posted by: bonggong | January 7, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert only says sensible things when he is under adult supervision.

Posted by: jweber1 | January 7, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert is not a thug! Probably one of the farthest things from it. Nobobdy is afraid of him. He is however very stupid and arrogant(this situtation is far beyond being immature). What happened to all that pre-season talk about positive change? He didn't learn any lessons in GS and he apparantly hasn't learned any lesssons in DC either. Hopefully this suspension will do something but you hve to wonder why/how things got to this point. Too many excuse about him being young, 'Gilbert being Gilbert'. Last I checked he was a grown man. WTH Gil?? Ur killing us. You will run out of chances sooner or later. Wake up!!

Posted by: MaxnDC | January 7, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

re: MaxnDC

what do you call a person who brandishes weapons to intimidate others?

A THUG

Posted by: marylandmymaryland | January 7, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Someone Gilbert employs can write a nice statement for him to send out. Now if he'd just kept his mouth shut and not acted like an idiot he'd have been fine. But he can't do that apparently.

Posted by: steveh46 | January 7, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

i don't care if he's right/wrong, a thug or not, joking or not, void his contract or whatever....i'm just so mad that we as fans are going through this.

just like with the skins, i can't bring myself to NOT be a fan. but this year has really tried...tried me. even through 19 wins....i'm a fan, i love my wizards/bullets. but all this...i'm sick to my stomach.

why didn't he just shut up? a slap on the wrist, a fine, 5-7 games...no big deal. but he, along with everyone else that thought it was funny to mock this, kept pushing it. now this. no one could say....not even the little bobblehead voice from gil's videos...no one could say..."hey, lay low, wait for this to blow over"....even suge knows how to let the heat pass. http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/06/suge-knight-cannot-be-stopped/print

i don't understand what goes thru his mind. don't give me the 100 million, he's cocky, blah blah. everyone has a voice in their head...he had to not listen to it....the "leaders" in the locker room had to not listen to their voices saying..."tell that dude not to do it"...part of being a leader...jamison etc...is being responsible for your ppl. part. i'm not just blaiming the leaders...there's enough to go around. arenas...critt...the coaches, the players. everyone!

as much as i hoped and believed that the addition of mm and foye, the return of haywood and arenas...gave us a chance this year....a chance at playoffs mind you, not the trophy (i'm easy to please)...i...i...i am sick...too much...

Posted by: artiechin | January 7, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse