Spurs 97, Wizards 86

The Washington Wizards started the New Year much like the way they ended it -- with a loss. But after the game, the primary topic of discussion wasn't necessarily losing their fourth game in a row to the San Antonio Spurs, with the Gilbert Arenas-Javaris Crittenton saga unfolding in recent days.

I tried to clear up the incident to best of my knowledge in my game story, with comments from Arenas and Crittenton's agent, Mark Bartelstein, denying the allegations that there was some Wild West showdown in the Wizards' locker room. If anyone wondered if these guys are seriously beefing, you only had to look at them in the second quarter when they seen laughing and joking with one another during a timeout.

"We were friends before. We're friends now. We don't have no problem," Arenas said after the game.

Even still, Antawn Jamison didn't mince his words when talking about the serious nature of the events. "Not to make light of the situation. This is a team that it seems like every year we have off the court distractions. I said it before the season, we need to limit all the things that happen off the court and really concentrate on things that happen on the court," Jamison, noting that this latest incident cannot be dismissed simply as Gilbert being Gilbert. "I think to be honest things in the past are totally different from this situation. This is nothing that you joke about at all. I wouldn't use this situation as a Gilbert being Gilbert situation. Coming in and throwing water on a guy while he's using the bathroom is Gilbert being Gilbert. This situation right here I take it very seriously."

Coach Flip Saunders admitted after the game that he could tell that his players were a little tentative at the start, possibly because of the situation that is clouding the organization. Arenas certainly didn't get off to a roaring start when he airballed his first shot attempt and heard boos from a crowd that is growing steadily irritated with each loss.

The Wizards spent the previous two practices focused exclusively on defense. And the results may not have been seen with the Spurs shooting 50.7 percent, Roger Mason Jr. drilling his former team with 20 points and 4 of 4 shooting from beyond the three-point line, or Tim Duncan dropping 23 points. But Brendan Haywood made another observation that likely decided the game: "We just failed to score ourselves."

Saunders tried something different against the Spurs, inserting Andray Blatche into the starting lineup in place of Randy Foye in hopes that he could help the Wizards with their energy, hustle and rebounding. Blatche responded by getting just five points and six rebounds in more than 27 minutes. But in going with a bigger lineup and putting Caron Butler at shooting guard, Saunders got the results from Butler that he hoped for.

Butler had 24 points with six rebounds and one steal and Saunders said afterward, "I thought that Caron played hard. That's the hardest he's played over a 48 minute game; defensively doing things. If we have that he's going to be okay."

Arenas had 23 points and eight assists, but he needed 25 shots. After the game, he discussed his current situation and explain how he is still able to smile with D.C. police and the NBA investigating him and so much of his life hanging in the balance.

"I'm a goofball. That's what I am," Arenas said. "Even with something like this, I'm going to make fun of it ... Laughter usually heals pain."

The Pollin family is certainly taking the situation seriously by releasing a statement at halftime. "We want to take a moment to address our Wizards fans and the public. The situation involving an incident in the locker room is troubling to our family, our organization and our fans. We know our fans are frustrated and angry. The fact that guns were brought to the Verizon Center is dangerous and disappointing and showed extremely poor judgment. Guns have absolutely no place in a workplace environment and we will take further steps to ensure this never happens again. While the police investigation proceeds, we are limited in what we can say, but we want our fans to know that we will not rest until this situation is resolved and has come to a satisfactory conclusion. On behalf of the Wizards organization, we want to thank our fans for their support during this very difficult time."

Jamison said that despite the reports about Arenas and Crittenton squaring off with guns, the locker room is not fractured. "I don't know what happened but in this locker room guys like being with each other, guys rely on each other, guys care about each other," he said. "We still joke around and have fun even though we where we at, we know how serious it is as for us trying to get things turned around and try to salvage the season a little bit. I've been here for six years now, just had somebody make some very bad decisions but in all this is a good locker room and guys really care for each other.

He added: "Gilbert is just Gilbert and I've been with Gilbert his whole career except for one year and I think I know him pretty well. He loves the game of basketball and he has fun doing it. You never make light of this situation, he wouldn't and I definitely wouldn't as well, but the most important thing is for him to be able to have the outlet -- which is to play the game of basketball. For us we need to do everything possible to make this home and make this fun, it's tough right now because we're not winning."

By Michael Lee  |  January 3, 2010; 12:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spurs (19-11) at Wizards (10-20)
Next: Saunders says report of rift with Arenas "not true"

Comments

The Spurs took advantage of having a 24 second clock to pass the ball to get the best shot they could.

It looked like the Spurs decided to take the 2nd and 3rd quarters off and were only outscored by 7 points.

Then as larry would say “the money quarter” started and the Spurs went back to playing and put the Wizards away.

This team is worse than I even thought and everyone on here knows that’s pretty bad.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 3, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Gil buy the fans some Nitrous oxide because we have been in pain since you signed your $111 million contract?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 3, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Gil you should buy the fans some Nitrous oxide since we have been in pain since you signed your $111 million contract!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 3, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Gosh, if I want to read about basketball, I guess I've got to go somewhere else outside of D.C.

Posted by: charley42 | January 3, 2010 5:03 AM | Report abuse

The team is 10-21 and going nowhere fast. Even if they make the playoffs, they are not competitive.

Why try to squeeze juice out of a turnip?
Oberto played 12 minutes, and McGee played 0 minutes.

Most basketball "experts" including players say McGee has potential.
Why not play him the rest of the season?

If he doesn't improve, what's the downside? One or two more losses? So what? If he doesn't improve, that would provide valuable information for negotiating Haywood's contract and other long-term decisions.

And just think, he might actually improve with playing time -- it happens, look around the league and not just at the bottom feeders.

Posted by: Izman | January 3, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

This season is gone. what is left and need a brain is how fast they could rebuild.EG is expected to do the right move for few 1st round picks.If he is able to ship AJ in the coming 2 weeks and GA some how out for the season, there is a chance to see a team with identity.I would be very happy if that identity is defense.

Posted by: gtefferra | January 3, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Izman, I think that JM would be a more productive sub than Oberto.

Would anyone think that Oberto is like a politically correct thing. Flip has to play him to make the decision to acquire him justifiable.

I don't think that the Oberto decision was made by Ernie alone.

Oberto has to be Flip's pick.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 3, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Also, I don't think the big starting lineup was slow at all, as some feel the need to allege.

Whay Flip wants to include Oberto as part of the big man line up though is questionable.

And again, why some want to quickly say that the big man lineup was a failure and Flip did not use the Big Man line up in the Money Quarter is amusing at best.

BH, AB, AJ, CB, and GA is the line up I would like to see much more serious play being given to with JM being the sub for BH or AB rather than Oberto.

Do we really want to play D' or not. Certainly when you put Oberto in the game, we loose defensive play and offense as well, for that matter.

However, if we bring JaVale as the big man sub we don't loose on offense or defense.

Flip is just afraid he is going to make an mistake.

Option 1, maintain offense and defense with an inexperienced young talented player, or

Option 2, loose offense and defense with a veteran player.

I think in even a playoff situation that I would go with option 1. Good teams will beat option 2 all the time.

But since we are not even close to playoff ball, option 1 makes even more sense because of the upside and the experience gained by a young talented can't miss player.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 3, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Flip had better wise up.

Fabricio Oberto or JaVale McGee?

Humm!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 3, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

The Spurs would have pick and rolled McGee to death. It would have been brutal. The kid has talent, but like so many of the Wizards (see Blatche, Young, etc), he has absolutely no concept of basketball fundamentals.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 3, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Javale is can't miss? It's so obvious how good he is that he has more DNPs than games played? Must be a giant conspiracy to keep him on the bench. Please, the guy can run and jump, but this isn't the triple jump, this is the NBA. Once this team is blown up, I'm all for giving the Javale minutes so that he can prove to himself how much he has to learn about playing basketball.

As for the play on the court, which sometimes resembles like all five players have adopted Javales b-ball IQ, if I were Flip I would prohibit any player from taking a jump shot before a single pass has been attempted. These guys, gil especially, just don't get it. So, as soon as Gil or anyone else jacks up a jumper without getting into the offense, they should be taking out of the game.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | January 3, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

CLEAN HOUSE. START WITH FLIPPER AND ERNIE. All that yelling Flipper did was fake just like he is. He still played the same people. Is McGee even on the team anymore. Is Young on the team. I think Oberto is paying Flipper or has pics on him. This guy couldn't play on a D league team. I used to go to games but not anymore. Not until there is serious change at the top. I don't want to see Ernie, Flip or any Unseld close to this team before I'm back in the phone booth.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | January 3, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards need to be Auto-Tuned.
NBA Where Defense Happens(SLTY)

Posted by: djnnnou | January 3, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Who would have thought that this team and this season would turn out to be the utter debacle that they have become...both on and off the court.

Where are the the optimists out there?

I think they finally woke up.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 3, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I think Gilby chalking it up as "I'm a goofball, and that is that..." is a total slap in Irene Pollin's face.

I didn't note a tone of humor in the Pollin's press release.

Did anyone?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 3, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

After reading Mike Jones' account (http://www.mikejonessports.com/2010/01/startling-picture-starting-to-become.ht) of what happen I think it's as close to the truth as we're going to get. When I first read this story I posted that I don't believe anything written in the New York Post and that first impression seems to have been correct.

I'm reading all these comments from different blogs saying it would be great if the Wizards voided Gil's contract. People seems to forget the 20 years of losing we've endured. Should we all be reminded of the Chris Webber deal for Mitch Richmond and Otis Thrope because Webber had some run-ins with the law. Luckly, MJ came along and yes he help start the rebuilding of this club.

Think about how bad things could be if this deal "Some of the pieces Washington could be trying to get back from Chicago, the source said, could be Kirk Hinrich and Jerome James. Before, the Wizards hadn't wanted to take on more money, but it appears that as they grow more desperate to turn things around, their main motivation is bringing in new life to kick-start a rebound." went through. Let support Gil and root this team back to success.

Now to last night. They played better but and I didn't think they were going to win, however, I was hoping the changes Flip would make would be for the positive. It seems like last year to me where nothing happen to the starters and bench player sit longer which is to suggest that they are the reason we're losing. I'm not sure what Flip is doing but playing Oberto and Stevenson is not the answer.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 3, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Michael, I don't think I saw any basketball coverage in the "game story," and only a little more here. Your new reporting on the gun incident should have been a separate story and the game story should have included some game coverage.

Posted by: OutsideTheLaw | January 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"Let support Gil and root this team back to success.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 3, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse "

Unfortunately, it's too late for any of that.

It's time to turn the chapter on yet again, another failed attempt at assembling a competent team.

Enough is enough.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 3, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The Pollin family is certainly taking the situation seriously by releasing a statement at halftime. "We want to take a moment to address our Wizards fans and the public. The situation involving an incident in the locker room is troubling to our family, our organization and our fans.... On behalf of the Wizards organization, we want to thank our fans for their support during this very difficult time."

What ORGANIZATION....??? Looks more like a production plant generating Murpheys Law! Grunfeld and assoc. must accept all the blame that goes with the running of this zoo and get real jobs. Washington Wizards are a disgrace and a national joke. Thing is... nobodies laughing.

Posted by: horace1 | January 3, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"CLEAN HOUSE. START WITH FLIPPER AND ERNIE."

Ok, I'm going this route.

Grunfeld should be the first one out the door when Leonsis takes over. Flip has clearly come into a bad situation. While he might not be the best coach ever, he could still come out of this thing looking unblemished.

Guns are serious Gilbert Arenas and you better start taking them that way or you WILL be made into an example by some hotshot lawyer trying to make a name for him/herself.

Ted buy the team ASAP please so you can out the fans out of our misery!

"And Yeah, Javale McGee is a can't miss player and that is not lost on Ted Leonsis."

I don't get it. Unless the dude is hurt why is he not playing?

"Does anyone think the Wizards watched the Spurs in the 1st quarter and said to themselves hey this is how you play team basketball?"

Yeah, I saw the same thing. I watched specifically how the Spurs played defense. EVERY player plays the exact same way...and arms distance from who they are defending. Seriously, they all stuck thier arms out on every Wizard player. Ok, the Wiz don't do that. They just run around like they have numb nuts or something.

I know Larry is going to get me on this, but Manu Ginobli out rebounded Haywood on several occasions.....Ginobli!

You know the Spurs are going to be there in the end too. The Wiz should have taken notes.

Congrats to Roger Mason also. Everytime I see him I keep thinking EG was a moron for letting him get away. Oh, and that discounted contract of Arenas's helped there also.

I'm starting a "Fire Ernie Grunfeld" motion here. His days are numbered also.

Blow it up! :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 3, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to trust that when the team gets blown up, it isn't done as rashly as Wilbon suggests, maybe keeping Miller, Foye, and Haywood, and that's it. To take one example, I continue to think that McGee is a diamond in the rough. Agreed, he's got a lot to learn about bb fundamentals, but can't Flip see to that? Maybe the problems with the rest of the team have taken too much of Flip's attention, such that he's not able to give much to McGee?

People thought the Wiz were a very talented bunch at the beginning of the season. They were right. But something hasn't been right -- chemistry? heart? a cancer on the team? -- so bring together a new team that corrects what's lacking. But don't be rash about it. I think we have more to save than Wilbon and others suggest.

Posted by: 7snider7 | January 3, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm starting a "Fire Ernie Grunfeld" motion here. His days are numbered also.

Blow it up! :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 3, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 7snider7 | January 3, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

It appears that poor judgement was used by all involved(Gil,Javaris) and like i said yesterday you get blown out on a western road trip and there's card playing on the plane? Yeah after i posted last night after another loss i got some cute responses that EJ's posting, trust me he ain't got time for amateur hour, my point and i will continue to say it is that Ernie is clueless right along with Flip,this coach is playing Oberto over McGee as much as some of you critcized EJ for not playing the youngins what Flip is doing is even crazier! Oberto has no upside whatsoever, McGee if given the chance could be a better player than Haywood he"s more athletic,has better hands,can jump out the gym,and he can score inside but we'll never know because this coaching staff is lost. There has been much discussion about "blowing" this whole thing up and then what? are some of you who post here ad nauseum willing to swallow another 50/60 loss season? i doubt it judging by some of the comments i read daily on this blog, Avery Johnson should have been the choice to coach this squad yeah he would have bumped heads with Gil but maybe that would have been a good thing given Gil's antics, one thing for sure they would have played D and been held accountable that ain't close to happening right now, no matter what Flip says.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 3, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"EG put this team together and handed Gil $111 mil of Mr.Polin's hard earned money."

Don't you think that was Abe's call?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: charley42 | January 3, 2010 5:03 AM | Report abuse

How can you diss this? You're on the cutting-edge of what NBA B-Ball will become. This is a soap not reality.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 3, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"Don't you think that was Abe's call?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse "

Abe approved big contracts....he didn't actively manage the team.

EG is to blame for the roster and all that happens/doesn't happen.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 3, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"Count me OUT. If the new owner judges that EG still hungers to succeed here, then keep him. I don't know what constraints Ernie has been working under -- Abe definitely had a say in things. Besides, we learn through failures. I still trust Ernie's bb acumen and hope he continues to be GM under the new ownership.

Posted by: 7snider7 | January 3, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse "

EG already had a chance to assemble the team that he wants and the coach that he wanted.

I wouldn't give him another chance to "blow up the team and then go through another rebuild."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 3, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Don't you think that was Abe's call?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I know nothing, but I would bet it was ABE's call.

And soon LEONSIS, GRUNFELD and SAUNDERS will be calling all the shots. Heads will roll. Accountability will step to the forefront of the franchise.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 3, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

So sports fans. Ready for another "SHOOTOUT" down at the ol' GLOCK CENTER? Yee-haw. Let's get it on.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

WHERE THE FREAK IS MCGEE??!!!
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

Posted by: dovelevine | January 3, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

How convenient for Jamison.
Now the reason they're losing is "off the court" issues according to him.
The so-called leader of this team is always looking for another excuse for why the team is losing game after game with him taking as many bad shots as he can (which never gets pointed to by him). Ernie, can you go ahead and trade him to Cleveland already?

Posted by: artiesliver | January 3, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The Wizzies just don't have "it".
No ball movement on offense. No one moving without the ball. Consequently the open (easy high %) shots aren't there.

And on defense the same problem in reverse. The other team moves the ball and guys get open and get the easy, high% shots because the Wizzies can't stay with their man.

I have been optimistic here and thought that the light would come on and that things would turn around but I am not seeing anything that would indicate that this could happen.

They looked good in a couple of spurts but they reverted to their old ways especially with the 15 point 4th Q. It seemed the Spurs were just playing with them for 3 Q's.

Posted by: VBFan | January 3, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Don't you think that was Abe's call?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

But that in no way is an excuse for Ernie

look at his draft picks or do you think Abe was telling him who to draft?

there isn't a draft pick on roster that can play in the NBA?

Look at his free agent signings and the player he traded for none of them are willing to play any defesnse.

How does a man who some claim has bb acumen do that?

If this were the Cowboys and Abe was like Jerry Jones I could live with the fact that maybe Ernie had no choice?

Grasp reality people every player on this roster other than BTH was hand picked by Ernie and the results speak for themselves.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 3, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

When Chris Webber was pulled over for having marijuana in his car, all of the fans shouted..that's it..get him out of here! And so the Wizards obliged. Webber went on to mature and lead some very successful Sacramento Kings teams at right around the same age as Gil is now. All I am saying is be careful what you wish for, because the guy could leave here, mature and you same fans who wanted to ship him out will be the same ones talking about what a dumb move that was. I am not approving what he has allegedly done in playing such a immature practical joke but I am just saying, everyone needs to sleep on it, give the Wiz a chance to play with Miller in the line-up for 20 games and see what they actually have. The Wiz knew there weakness was at shooting guard and so in essence, without Miller being healthy, they have not really plugged that hole. They did not feel any of the point guards in the draft could fill the void at shooting guard so they did not address them. They also needed to address inside scoring. That has still not been addressed.

I was at the game last night and Javaris and Gil were talking with each other with no apparent animosity. I thought after the 1st quarter, defense was pretty good. This line-up gets them the mismatches that tey can capitalize on. Caron was able to easily shoot over the Spurs shooting guard. If Caron stays at the two he needes to develop a post game to force teams to double team.

Posted by: ptp23 | January 3, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

It's stunning that Gilbert is treating this entire situation as a joke. This isn't a question of bad judgment; the guy is unhinged from reality.

It's also, again, clear that (no knock on Michael Lee's beat reporting) the Wash Post dedicates so many resources to the 'Skins that there's not a lot left to throw at the Wizards. This calls for an complete journalistic investigation (because the Wizards and NBA are going to try to cover it up) into 1) what was the breakdown, over a period of years, in managerial control over this team and 2) who or what is running the show, now?

Does anyone have any idea who is running this franchise now? Who is making personnel decisions? Who is calling the shots? Who has control moving forward? Where does the buck stop?

Posted by: jweber1 | January 3, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

From Truth About It before last nights game.

Ex Wiz & current Spur Roger Mason said he didnt know how bad defensive habits were until he got 2 the SA & learned right way

Posted by: VBFan | January 3, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Butler does not like to guard his man on the perimeter. He likes to roam around and plays free safety, that's why Mason was so wide open shooting 3's.

Well, come to think of it, Jamison does not like to guard perimeter either, except that he likes to stay under the basket. That's why Wizards' perimeter defense is so bad.

Posted by: sagaliba | January 3, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Flip stinks. The problem last night was not defense, it was scoring. There's no way Earl gets that much PT while nick young doesnt play one second. It's maddening how much Flip has decided to lean on Earl!

Flip's resume looks more and more like a sham to me, the product of all-world KG and a detroit team on autopilot.

Posted by: divi3 | January 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Accoutabilty? glawrence007; You're kidding right the best thing Teddy L can do is get rid of Ernie/Flip ASAP! Ernie Grunfeld has a spotty track record at best and Flip..............well no need to rehash that resume again. This team needs a no-nonsense coach(Avery Johnson) who has been languishing in the ESPN studios since he was fired by Mark Cuban because he was too demanding(by asking the Mavs to play D) you can see how that has worked out for em,anyway if i'm Ted Leonsis i'd clean house all right and it would start with Ernie and Flip and let's stop with this idiotic trade talk cause Gil is untradeable and Caron plays hard every night the person i'd consider trading is AJ to Cleveland for JJ Hickson(i think that's his name and see if you can convince Danny Ferry to eat some of AJ's contract now that would be the move to make but EG ain't too bright so don't get your hopes up.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 3, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag,

Caron doesn't do anything hard every night except turn the ball over. He should be the first guy on the trading block with Jamison right behind him. You are delusional if you think Caron will be on this team after the trade deadline. He and Jamison are in decline and should be traded before they slip more.

Posted by: artiesliver | January 3, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

50 losses, 60 losses. What's the difference? They're lottery bound and have to start over. What part of that don't you understand?

Posted by: artiesliver | January 3, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"Abe may have told Ernie to keep the team together so he could possibly win another championship before he passed away.But that in no way is an excuse for Ernie"

That's what an owner can do to a GM. If indeed Abe Pollin did that.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 3, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BulletsFever | January 3, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Check out this link about from Mike Jones about some trades that are being discussed pertaining to the Wizards.......Posted by: BulletsFever"

Yes, somebody posted that link the other day. Problem is, count the number of times the author uses weasel words like 'could' and 'might' -- indicating not much in the way of hard info behind it. I wish journalists wouldn't pile on before facts are available, but I guess to change that would mean rewriting the whole history of the media...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 3, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"The problem last night was not defense, it was scoring."

Posted by: divi3 | January 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Agree 100%. Is it FLIP's fault that he can't score from the coaches box?

WIZARDS were taking open shots all night. Just not going in. Meanwhile, the SPURS were bombing them despite having no more open looks than the WIZARDS.

Obviously, the target practice on the 21st didn't do much to improve the WIZARDS accuracy down at the GLOCK CENTER.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 3, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

SAMSON 151:

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 3, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, when it is near the end of the game, Wizards players just suddenly forgot how to put the ball in the basket! What can a coach do? Pull the big 3 off when there is 5 minutes remaining?

Posted by: sagaliba | January 3, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Some pretty good names getting tossed around in the first week since the Rockets said they would try to trade Tracy McGrady. Caron Butler. Andre Iguodala. Not bad. It won't be long before Kevin Martin enters into speculation.

Keep in mind, however, none of them has been offered or is being discussed. That could change and probably will. But for now, teams have been giving the Rockets to opportunity to get some really bad contracts and little else.

That is to be expected. Eventually, teams with financial issues and heavy contracts — and the Sixers and Wizards definitely qualify — might feel more pressure to make moves. It would seem now they would have other ways to try to trim future payroll before resorting dealing such productive players

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 3, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

It IS flip's fault that he leaves boykins in to pound the ball into the court for extended stretches and not defend well (tho he tries).

This is a lousy team and clearly talented players are rotting on the bench. It's inexcusable.

There was clearly a point last night where we desperately needed an offensive spark, I just dont see how a good coach doesnt at least give a NATURAL SCORER like NY a shot there

Posted by: divi3 | January 3, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"Sure it is. When the boss tells the GM to keep the team together -- or even just the nucleus -- it really paints the GM into a corner. It means he can't trade his most tradeable assets (at the time) and simultaneously gives them real leverage at the negotiating table. It means the GM doesn't have the 'nuclear option' of starting over from scratch. It means he will find it very difficult to obtain the top overall draft pick or the sexiest free agent. It can conceivably condemn the club to a series of middling draft picks.

That's what an owner can do to a GM. If indeed Abe Pollin did that.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 3, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse "

EG's blunders go way beyond just resigning Gilby and MeTawn.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 3, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

"SAMSON 151:Weasel words? What do you want, he's a former writer correct? I mean, "weasel words" and writer are synonymous are they not?Posted by: glawrence007"

More like lawyers...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 3, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"Once again, Javale doesnt play a single second- this while the whole league reports EG has made it clear mcgee is untouchable. wtf?"

Really? Where and when was this "league wide report" of McGee's untouchability published? I don't recall seeing it. I do recall one sportswriter making a passing reference to it but, of course, that's not close to the same thing, is it?

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 3, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Washington would not look to get hinirich for butler, their salary is close, i do not see the upgrade over butler.we need to understand that butler is not hard to move if our plan is rebuilding.The most expenssive player is AJ, if he has a value they should pack him.DS's money is not big for a rebuilding plan, he can wait until his contract is over.Our previous draft is not correct, we need a nucleus to rebuild, i do not see AB and Ny to be on that role,they should be packed for a player who can play defense and lead the team in the rebuilding process.MM is injury prone and a jorney man, he would not agree to sign for a rebuiding team.

Posted by: gtefferra | January 3, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Ernie's loser and so is Flip. Watch Erie do one of his dumb trades and send Nick and McGee away for some 40yr old vet in a wheel chair. If Ernie is around for the draft he'll then trade the pick for a senior citizen ex Euro player and say he has a nice jumper. New owner please get rid of these bums before the draft. At this rate Wiz should be a lottery picker AGAIN.

Posted by: rnbrown4 | January 3, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

saw mike miller shooting before the start of the game on saturday...looked good was making three's with regularity...may bring a lift when he returns...if not then trading the top ten draft pick was a huge mistake (that looked good at the time) because foye has not brought a significant impact and miller has been injured.

Posted by: ronniecope106 | January 4, 2010 6:14 AM | Report abuse

flip's new starting line-up was necessary and similiar to what i suggested.

my wiz/bullets starting five:
pg-RF
sg-GA
sf-AJ
pf-AB
c-BH

CB-sixth man

flip's new starters:
pg-GA
sg-CB
sf-AJ
pf-AB
c-BH

caron responded playing SG looking extremely sharp thru most of the game...if i was flip i would maintain this lineup for awhile...but i would also experiment with my suggested line-up...flip cannot be afraid to step on the toes of these overpaid underachievers (caron, AJ and GA)...if these guys are not gettin at it then sit them and let the subs "lose". multimillion dollar athletes should not be "comfortable" with losing! not because they make millions but because their TALENT merited them being paid that amount...talented players find a way to win...a way to make their teamates better and foster a winning enviroment. the wizards "talented" players have not done that so far this year...

Posted by: ronniecope106 | January 4, 2010 6:41 AM | Report abuse