Statement from Arenas's attorney

Ken Wainstein, a partner in the Washington, DC office of O'Melveny & Myers LLP and attorney for Gilbert Arenas, stated today:

"Earlier this afternoon, Gilbert Arenas appeared before the Honorable Robert E. Morin of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and pled guilty to a charge of carrying a pistol in the District of Columbia without a license. He accepted full responsibility for his actions, acknowledged that those actions were wrong and against the law, and has apologized to all who have been affected by his conduct. Mr. Arenas appreciates the professionalism of the authorities handling this matter."

By Alexa Steele  |  January 15, 2010; 3:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas pleads guilty to felony (Updated)
Next: Wizards' statement on Arenas's guilty plea

Comments

"He accepted full responsibility for his actions, acknowledged that those actions were wrong and against the law, and has apologized to all who have been affected by his conduct."

No he doesn't.

I don't believe him anymore.

It will happen again.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 15, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Nahhh. not good enough.

Let's hear the pranksta get on the mike and say it himself.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me why in hell it takes 2 months to decide on a sentence? That is really ridiculous.

Posted by: juliagraffam | January 15, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I hear Tiger's reportedly in a clinic for sex addiction.

Well, that gets me thinking. . . . I think I've got Gilby figured out:

He's a goof addict.

He'd rather goof than win.

Posted by: farstriker | January 15, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Reposted from earlier thread:

He should be punished with fines and suspensions, but he should have been counseled and supported as well.

Posted by: garrybrown | January 15, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Counseled to do what? To stop acting like a spoiled teenager? To actually give a darn about obeying laws and rules? He's a 28 year-old man who has previously run afoul of the law for gun-related issues. If his punishment then, and what he's going through now doesn't do the trick, counseling won't do him a durn bit of good.

I don't know about your employment situation, but if I brought guns, loaded or not, to my job, I would be fired and would be subject to prosecution, as well. Why does Arenas deserve any different?

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 15, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 15, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

GA == Gilbert Arenas = Goof Addict

Posted by: farstriker | January 15, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The Pranksta. That's a good one.

Posted by: jake177 | January 15, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: juliagraffam | January 15, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 15, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"The Pranksta. That's a good one.

Posted by: jake177 | January 15, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse "

That's the name of the cartoon the idiot Gilby was going to get going.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I just read about the terms of the plea agreement, so it looks like the prosecutor's recommendation was for a sentence at the lower end of the spectrum.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 15, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

OK, rbpalmer, we all know that you can't bring a gun into McDonalds without getting fired. You're the millionth person that has mentioned it, nicely done.

Posted by: mike8 | January 15, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I've been reading all the comments for the last week about how people think Gil should go to jail for this stupid act. The cavalier attitude that these people have about this make me sick. I just wonder if those folks would have that same attitude if they spent any real time in jail. I've made two trips into a jail. Once in Jr. high on a class trip and the other visiting a cousin. That's was enough time for me to wish that only true criminals belong in that place. Gil is not a true criminal.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 15, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

To think he got himself so deep into this because he just couldn't resist talking about it. IF only he had stayed true to his promise to not twitter until 1 million followers, some of this could have been avoided.

Posted by: tundey | January 15, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Gil is not a true criminal.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 15, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Really?

Did he plead guilty to breaking a fake criminal law?

Posted by: p1funk | January 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Gilbertology gone really really bad. I hope the guys in the lockdown look-out for Gilbert.

Posted by: closg | January 15, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm just pissed. This was blown so out of proportion. Good luck Gil. Thanks NY Post.

Posted by: washwiz | January 15, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A POS Ernie Grunfeld is... F Ernie!

Posted by: tony325 | January 15, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I misread previous post... text was prior to today.

Posted by: tony325 | January 15, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

So all the "I brought them to VC because of my kids" talk was indeed a lie.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 15, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

This is just funny.

Apparently Gilbert is out there taking full responsibility for his actions.

Except that he's not even capable of taking responsibility to make his own public statement about how he's taking full responsibility.

Posted by: p1funk | January 15, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

So all the "I brought them to VC because of my kids" talk was indeed a lie.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 15, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Did you really think that was true when you first heard it?

Posted by: p1funk | January 15, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

p1funk, I thought you were a lawyer.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 15, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Not really but I didn't believe he brought them to VC solely for the purpose for which he used them. I gave him more credit for smarts than I should have.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 15, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"My understanding is that the normal practice in cases of this kind is for a sentencing report to be done, which the judge reviews before he decides on whether to accept the prosecutor's recommendation (which, in light of the apparent plea agreement, would probably be for no jail time)."

Given his community involvement over the years, he may walk with no jail time...wonder how that would affect the voiding issue.

Posted by: divi3 | January 15, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Too late for us obviously, but this is the kind of thing that will finally straighten the guy as far as seriousness and priorities. Some team may very well get a better version of Gil than we ever had.

It will be hilarious when he drops 60 on us in the midst of one of the 7 games slumps we'll be seeing so much of next season.

Posted by: divi3 | January 15, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mike8 | January 15, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Are you trying to be an obnoxious ass, or is it just coming naturally?

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 15, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that Gil does a little bit of time. DC takes gun crimes pretty seriously. It's a situation where being a celebrity hurts more than helps. How do you put someone else in jail but not Goofy Gil? Don't forget that one thing that Goofy Gil did was fully confess to the crime before he had any deal and thus had ZERO negotiating power.

Javaris on the other hand seems to have committed a much more serious crime, but he didn't confess, didn't tweet, and dumped the gun in the Potomac. Thus there will be very little legal repercussion for him. That's the difference between being reckless and smart and reckless and stupid.

Posted by: thinker11 | January 15, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

p1funk, I thought you were a lawyer.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 15, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

You thought correctly. Why?

Posted by: p1funk | January 15, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

whatever his reason for bringing the guns to the locker room doesn't matter. whether it's to get them out of his house because they're dangerous for kids to be around or as part of a prank or for a showdown at the ok corral, the law doesn't care.

Posted by: rm0659 | January 15, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Don't ever tell the truth... see where it gets you!

Posted by: tony325 | January 15, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

"TMZ.com reports that as soon as Gil plead he received a text from Wizards stating he is in violation of his contract & they will attempt to terminate.

WHAT A POS Ernie Grunfeld is... F Ernie!

Posted by: tony325 | January 15, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse "

Please...

I doubt if teams conduct contractual business by texting their players.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

when it all comes down to it, this is what gil gets for not having an agent trying to protect his meal ticket. relying on the good will of people is fine in most cases, but when a mess like this hits it's good to call in johnny cochran (if, yknow, he wasn't dead) to keep it from getting too deep.

Posted by: rm0659 | January 15, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I doubt if teams conduct contractual business by texting their players.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

_______________________________

Are you doubting the reporting of TMZ.com?? :)
The same people who knew MJ was dead 90 mins before anyone would report it.

Man, I need a drink.... friday drag.

Posted by: tony325 | January 15, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

"If the Wizards can't terminate his contract -- and I think it would be a tough hurdle -- will there be a trade market for him, given his controversy and contract? I can't see the Wizards cutting him and paying him what he's owed (and taking the hit against the salary cap, too). I think it is possible he returns to the Wizards, even if neither Arenas nor the Wizards want him back."
-Michael McCann, Professor of Law, Vermont Law School - for the Washington Post Q&A

Posted by: midlevex | January 15, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't sprize me if he was back in a Wizzie uniform before he's sentenced.
He'll smooze Stern & Irene & all will be forgiven.

Posted by: VBFan | January 15, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

The next 30 days will be extremely exciting for Wiz fan outside of basketball.
Ernie must start really earning his money. I hope he dont think he can set back and just allow the franchise to suffer. The trade deadline is what 30 days away and he can help this organization if he just move on NOW!!!!. Get rid of every one except Randy,Brendan,Mike and McGee.

Posted by: dsquare | January 15, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey wouldnt it be funny that Lebron leave Clevland then they sign Gil as a free agrent. LOL

Posted by: dsquare | January 15, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A POS Ernie Grunfeld is... F Ernie!

Yeah, uh huh. This sounds credible. No doubt Ernie was sitting in his office waiting for the signal that Gilbert made his plea so that he could hit Send on his Blackberry.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 15, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

He did not violet the law accidentaly or emotionaly.It is a calculated plan to irritate JC and to be in his nerves just like some 9 year old boys do it. This ball club and the fan were waiting for 2 solid years to see something this season.The GM has also done every thing he could to improve the team,at least in paper but noting is done. By the time the team is expected to show us some thing he brought a significant distruction which is going to be the main reason to the fall of the club.With his poor handling of the situation he agravate every body and get suspended.Who knows what he is going to do for the next 2 months? what do you expect from the wizard team other than trying to do everything to void his contract.If they fail they will trade him some where and continue to pay him the diffrence,i am so suspicious if any club will be willing to pay him in full even if they need his service.I have a hard time to see how washington will fail to void his contract.I also believe arenas will cool down the situation and continue to negotiate with NBA to get a second chance to play for another team.If his knee does well in a one year contract he will get 45-55 million contract.
As a person i wish him a success and will pray to god to provide him maturity.

Posted by: gtefferra | January 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse