Statement from Crittenton's lawyer

The following statement was released this afternoon by Javaris Crittenton's lawyer, Peter H. White:

There has been a great deal of misinformation published about this event and about Javaris Crittenton. Mr. Crittenton brought a lawfully owned, unloaded handgun into Washington, DC only because he legitimately feared for his life. The government's proffer of facts to be filed today acknowledges that his handgun was not loaded and that he never threatened anyone with it. The gun was legally purchased, but bringing it into the District, even for self defense, violated the city's strict gun control laws. Mr. Crittenton, who was 21 years old at the time of this incident, has never before been arrested or charged with any crime, and with today's misdemeanor plea to possession of an unregistered firearm, accepts responsibility for his conduct. He looks forward to explaining his actions to the NBA and returning to the basketball court as soon as possible.

By Alexa Steele  |  January 25, 2010; 1:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crittenton charged with gun counts [Updated]
Next: Wizards statement on Crittenton

Comments

Now we hear, from his lawyer no less, that Crittenton feared for his life (i.e., he thought Arenas was going to kill him?).
This whole saga gets more ludicrous as each day passes.

Posted by: artiesliver | January 25, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

What total BS. I agree with artiesliver - totally ludicrous.

Posted by: juliagraffam | January 25, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

LMAO!!! Feared for his life????? Are you serious???

Posted by: chicoexcell | January 25, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Theater of the absurd!!

Posted by: artiesliver | January 25, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...feared for his life so he brought an unloaded gun.

I'm gonna wait and see the reaction for this one...LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 25, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

If he feared for his life, then why was the gun unloaded?
Oh, and btw, EG traded a 1st round pick for this guy.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 25, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

He doesn't need to worry about his Wizard's uniform fitting him or working to get back in game shape after so much time off - he's done. He'll never commit another turnover as a Wizard.

Posted by: outrbnksm | January 25, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow javaris your career is over. I see Gilbert's contract being bought out rather than traded. Gilbert has a good chance of being picked up by a good team like orlando for a veterans minimum up to a midlevel salary.

Posted by: jefferu | January 25, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this the same no talent a$$ clown that said he never brought a gun to the arena?? Now all of a sudden is a agreeing to a plea deal. This whole situation is getting crazier by the day...and like the previous post said, why in the world would you bring an unloaded gun to a gun fight??? Why didn't he just bring his pet rock?

Posted by: dc43_wiz_fan | January 25, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the lawyer issued a written statement because there's no way he would have been able keep a straight face while spinning this yarn.
Crit's done in the NBA. He might as well start learning a foreign language now to make his overseas transition easier.

Posted by: artiesliver | January 25, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's a question for you guys...if the Wiz void Gil's contract and trade away AJ and/or CB would you want management to make a push to get Lebron?????? Just something to think about.

Posted by: dc43_wiz_fan | January 25, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Damm.... with all that money and thats the best lawyer he could afford....LMFO.... Cant wait for Gils lawyer response.

Mann get all this bums out of town,ASAP. Yea I fear for my life everyday too thats why I carry an unloaded ink pen.

Posted by: dsquare | January 25, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Mr. Crittenton brought a lawfully owned, unloaded handgun into Washington, DC only because he legitimately feared for his life. " "The gun was legally purchased, but bringing it into the District, even for self defense, violated the city's strict gun control laws. Mr. Crittenton,"

Self defense but un-loaded? Feared for his life but never threatened anyone? Michael Jordan took Kwame with the #1 overall pick without knowing anything about him or his family...the baggage. Ernie got Crit without knowing anything about him or his baggage for a 1st round pick? EG it's been fun, thanks for the 4 playoff runs...then firing a good coach while the team was injured...yup another sound decision. I hope you do another bang up job with your new team.

I have never read more BS than his lawyers statement. Hey Crit, get another attorney! The one you have could not have completed law school yet.

Posted by: Gooddad | January 25, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

This is depressing. These players need counseling on how to live like grown-ups. If they keep either Arenas or Crittendon, the Wizards should hire counselors to be paid from deductions from these players' pay.

Posted by: esch | January 25, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc43_wiz_fan

Naw.. I hate Lebron.. How about a semi-local in Rudy Gay. Hes more stable than anybody we got now. Gay, Favors and McGee is a nice front line in 2 years.

Posted by: dsquare | January 25, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I fear for my life every time I go to see a game. I fear of dying from boredom.

Posted by: lameotron | January 25, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc43_wiz_fan | January 25, 2010 2:44 PM

After the way the Wiz handled the situation with Gil, who in their right mind would want to come and play here? I say trade AJ and CB for Amare (like the summer deal...thats what Phonix wanted) and rebuild from there...throw in nick young too.

Posted by: Gooddad | January 25, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"If he feared for his life, then why was the gun unloaded?"

Nobody claimed he wasn't carrying ammunition. (Same for Gilbert, incidentally)

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 25, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Gil or JC knew why Abe changed the name from the Bullets to the Wizards?

Not only is the roster full of players with low BB IQ's I doubt if any of them could pass The Wonderlic Personnel Test?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 25, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

It's a good thing that we have all this drama to discuss.

We ain't got no Basketball to talk about in DC.

Posted by: VBFan | January 25, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

If there are ground tremors being felt in the DC area it's probably just Abe spinning and spinning.

Posted by: pd2710 | January 25, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

WTF!!???

I keep wondering how in the world did the Wiz end up with the players we have. They won't play defense, selfish ball hogs who jack up shots and won't listen to their coach. As much as it pains me to say this, it is time to blow this whole thing to smitthereens! From the GM, to Flip to most of the players and just start the f..k over. Every day it is some kind of drama but never a win. Jeeze, they make it hard to be a die hard fan cause a sista is losing her patience with these lackadaisical supposed to be "players" on this team cause the Lakers are going to whip up on em. Chalk up another loss. I gave my tickets to my neighbor and his friend.

Posted by: ivyleague | January 25, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone have the misfortune of watching yesterday's game on TV? When coming out of the locker room after half-time, DeBrick did the fire your fingers like pistols thing at the CSN camera camped out in the tunnel...why can't the league ban him for this instead of Gilbert? I'd do anything to get rid of this guy and his 24% shooting.

On a side note, I'm fairly certain everyone of his fake pistol shots missed the cameraman "way short".

Posted by: MBUSA | January 25, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Could it get any more ridiculous?
Two guys playing a game of chicken, neither one wanting appear weak and this is what happens. What a woeful display of empty machismo and low self-worth.

Posted by: and_1 | January 25, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the run on sentence at the end of my last post, but, for crying out loud! What next???

Posted by: ivyleague | January 25, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"Mr. Crittenton brought a lawfully owned, unloaded handgun into Washington, DC only because he legitimately feared for his life."

You gotta be kidding me.
If Crittendon fears for his life and felt he needed protection what good is an unloaded handgun going to do?

It's a wonderful deterrent to the average joe wanting to stick him up or incite a confrontation yes, but if he's actually fearing someone may kill him and he is inclined to carry a gun to kill/wound them in defense I don't see how an unloaded handgun does him any good. That's bull.

Not to mention the fact that 10 outta 10 of the most diehard Wizard fans wouldn't recognize Crittendon if he walked up to them wearing warm ups. Whole mess is making me nauseous.

Then there's the issue of Crittendon

Posted by: blackman1 | January 25, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused...
Critt brought a gun into DC
Gil brought guns into DC

whats the reason for the Felony for Gil and possible jail time

but Critt gets a year of probation and a $1,250 fine?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I just think I'm going to throw up if I have read another where someone evokes Abe Pollins name and how he felt about guns. He changed the name because of money. Jersey sales were becoming big and it was a way to sale more jerseys. Media people openly mocked this as Abe held his fans choose the new names contest. Please! Just spare me with all this Abe changed the name BS.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 25, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Its funny how Gil gets the felony but Critt only gets the misemenor. Stern will also give Gil way more time than Critt. Its also funny how Critt said he felt threatened. You definitely have to break that up now

Posted by: dlts20 | January 25, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused...
Critt brought a gun into DC
Gil brought guns into DC

whats the reason for the Felony for Gil and possible jail time

but Critt gets a year of probation and a $1,250 fine?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 25, 2010 3:17 PM

I haven't read any accounts of anyone actually finding Crit's gun. It may be harder to make a felony charge stick without the gun. I could be wrong.

Posted by: and_1 | January 25, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Gil is being used as an example. Big name big splash. Who is Crittendon? No one outside DC and the other place he played even know this guy. I think they should be both be charged in the same manner. Plus, what happened to the bullets some of the other players said that Crittendon put into his gun? Or were they lying. This whole saga is a hot mess and I will be glad when it is all said and done so the Wiz can move the hell on.

Posted by: ivyleague | January 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

And the fact that Gil has a previous gun conviction didn't help his cause.

Posted by: and_1 | January 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts20 | January 25, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"whats the reason for the Felony for Gil and possible jail time [for Critt]"

Prior and admission, I'd guess.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 25, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

You gotta be kidding me.

Posted by: blackman1 | January 25, 2010 3:10 PM

He can throw the gun at someone

Posted by: jefferu | January 25, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"I also find it funny how they say that Critt's gun was unloaded. How do they know that? Because he said so? They never found it. Why would Critt bring a gun if its unloaded? Its clear that Gil's think was a joke even if it wasnt funny but Critt brought a gun for serious reasons and people say that he cocked it. Either way I find it hard to believe that he didnt have any bullets. It just sounds more like they just want to get Gil. He feared for his life but brought an unloaded weapon?"

Yeah, Critt said his gun was unloaded, just like Gil said his were. (In the first case, no gun was found, in the second there's no evidence that any of the guns Gil had were examined until well after the incident.)

As for "people" saying Critt cocked his gun, reports are that the three supposed "witnesses" (Foye, Miller, Stevenson) in the locker room gave varying accounts of what exactly happened. No gun, no reliable testimony . . . What can you expect for the charge?

And yeah, I'd bet (don't know, of course, just guessing) that Stevenson's account was the "different" one.

Posted by: fansincebullets | January 25, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

LOL.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 25, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: and_1 | January 25, 2010 3:05 PM

They otta put all of them in the Witless protection Program.

Posted by: VBFan | January 25, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: and_1

LMFAO

Critt just said he brought a gun to DC,they never found the gun.
Gil "dumb azz move" Arenas gave the police 4 guns(LOL), with a pior. Thats like OJ saying "this is my Glove and watch me put it on for you".LOL

Posted by: dsquare | January 25, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"I fear for my life every time I go to see a game. I fear of dying from boredom."

Lol, that's funny!

Yeah, this is the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks guys!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 25, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for spamming, but you know they are NEVER going to change thier team name back to the "Bullets" now.

Thanks again guys!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 25, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

My only question now is where is all the outrage about guns in the workplace. Where is the Brady Foundation comments, where is Al Sharpton, where are all posting saying how Crit should do jail time and fired for bringing guns into the workplace. Where the Wiz statement saying Crit is fully responsible for his actions.

My guess is we will get none of those reactions since there is no media coverage of this plea deal.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 25, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if the Wizards made the playoffs. However, they won't because they are a lottery team. It's time to get rid of the California bums on the team and get some D.C., MD, and VA local serious ballers in here! It's so much better watching OKC with some area representation than the Washington(name only) Wizards.

Posted by: Theone9 | January 25, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ivyleague | January 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize Crit had actually played enough anywhere for anyone to know who he was.

Posted by: Blurred | January 25, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Dude gets probation when Gil is the 1st one to cooperate?

Posted by: dlts20 | January 25, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

fansincebullets, the difference is they have Gil's guns but they never got Critts. Thats why I said the thing about the bullets. Atleast that gives it some credibility. The point is how does Gil get a Felony and Critt doesnt even get charged? I mean everyone agrees that Critt wanted to fight Gil 1st, they both made threats, they both pulled guns. You dont see something fishy with that? On top of that Gil cooperated 1st and he gets the crappy deal?

Everyone still says that Gil was joking so it makes sense for his to be unloaded but what sense does it make for Critt to come with an unloaded gun? That was my point. I bet his was loaded

Posted by: dlts20 | January 25, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gooddad | January 25, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

First off, I wonder if they'd make that trade now. Secondly, Amare's numbers aren't too different from Jamison's, but then you throw in Caron and??? too?

I'm not saying we are going anywhere with what we have, but we can get better building blocks in trades for these guys than a 2 or 3 for 1 for a guy who will be 31 by the time we get a decent roster around him, but also is in no way the centerpiece of a championship team.

Posted by: Blurred | January 25, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Gil's previous gun charge (which was a misdemeanor) is the reason for the felony charge this time.

If Gil does not have the previous charge, this would be a lot easier for him.

Posted by: cannontl | January 25, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

If Crittenton is healthy, and as long as he isn't suspended, I say activate him.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | January 25, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see him back especially if ARENAS was the catalyst for the incident and not JAVARIS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 25, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

The only thing interesting about this post is that Javaris is only just barely 22. Maybe we should keep him around, especially if Arenas is kept around. Anything to annoy Arenass is Ok in my book.

Posted by: Blurred | January 25, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Hmm...Georgetown vs Syracuse, or Wizards vs Lakers, which one should I watch?

Posted by: Theone9 | January 25, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh never mind, I see the Lakers will hold a scrimmage against the Wizards tomorrow.

Posted by: Theone9 | January 25, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I cant believe the lawyer's statement that Crittenten was afraid for his life, that's why he had the unloaded gun. However, when this first broke and he was quiet and it was reported that he had an attorney, i knew he wasnt the innocent bystander as portrayed. Furthermore, it is ashame that he's the one who got rid of evidence and Gilbert talked to the police from the beginning but Gilbert is getting all the negative feedback. At least the organization just made another statement.

Posted by: washwiz | January 25, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe someday we'll hear "the rest of the story".
All we know is they both had guns in the locker room.
Was there really a reason for Critt to fear for his life??
Was Gil goofing?
Was all guns unloaded?
Did someone rack a round?
Did anyone see or hear "everything"?
Everything is someones story.

Posted by: VBFan | January 25, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

"Could it get any more ridiculous?
Next we'll be hearing that JaVale McGee is suing them both because he still hasn't received his winnings from the card game or Mike Miller is entering the Witness Protection Program because maybe he saw too much."

lol...well said.

The difference between the two is priors and admitting to the crime. There was not enough "evidence" for a strong prosecution of Crittenton as opposed to Arenas' confession. Seems to me that the prosecutors elected to go with a charge that Crittenton was willing to plea to so that he receives some punishment and his behavior is on record instead of failing at a felony charge and him most likely getting nothing. They both behaved badly but Crittenton not so ironically was smarter than Arenas in the aftermath. A microcosm of Arenas' life for sure.

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 25, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

"I'm confused...
Critt brought a gun into DC
Gil brought guns into DC

whats the reason for the Felony for Gil and possible jail time

but Critt gets a year of probation and a $1,250 fine?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse "

You are confused b/c you usually are.

Gilby had 4 guns.

Gilby threatened to shoot Critt in the face.

Gilby clearly escalated the situation.

Critt's gun was never found.

Without the gun, the prosecution relied on witnesses, and the judgment was based on that.

It also helps that Critt didn't act a fool after the situation blew up.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 25, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Gilby was clearly the bad influence (disguised as quirky) on the team and had a negative effect on both veteran players and young dudes like Critt.

Gilby deserves to be gone.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 25, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

The next time I go hunting (which will also be the first time), I plan to go with an unloaded weapon. I'll point the weapon at the deer and hope that he surrenders.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 26, 2010 2:05 AM | Report abuse

HEAR IS A NEWS FLASH FOR THE LAWYER..AN UNLOADED GUN WILL NOT PROTECT ANYONE!

HOW IS IT LAWFULLY OWNED..THE GUN COULD NOT BE FOUND WHEN THE POLICE SEARCHED HIS HOME..WHICH MEANS HE DITCHED IT. I HAVE NOT HEARD THAT THE GUN WAS FOUND OR PRODUCED..WAS IT? DOES THE LAWYER ACTUALLY THINK ANYONE BELIEVES THAT BUNCH OF DOG POOP THAT HE UTTERED?

THERE WERE REPORTS FORM AT LEAST ONE PLAYER..THAT JC CHAMBERED A ROUND.. THAT SOUND UNLOADED??
THERE IS NO EVIDENCE EITHER WAY ON THE BULLETS. IT WAS NOT, HOWEVER, LAWFUL TO BRING ANY KIND OF GUN INTO AN NBA FACILITY. HE WILL BE SUSPENDED BY THE LEAGUE..AND CUT BY THE
BULLETS (OOPS, i MEAN WIZARDS). MAYBE A NEW CAREER.. DEALING BLACK JACK IN ATLANTIC CITY...

Posted by: blazerguy234 | January 26, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse