Wizards 106, Knicks 96

On a few occasions, it looked as if Antawn Jamison was attempting to get his master's degree from the Moses Malone School of Stat-Padding Rebounds, as he repeatedly batted around his missed shots, earning offensive rebounds before later getting shots to fall. But after Jamison missed 16 of 26 shots on Saturday night, he was sincere after the Wizards' win over the New York Knicks that he was simply trying to score.

"I couldn't make them," Jamison said of his short bunnies in the lane. "Normally with those, I can get a couple to follow. I missed maybe eight or nine like that. But I'll take 'em how I can get them right now."

Jamison was coming off a difficult night when he was held to just nine points and five rebounds - the third time this month that he failed to reach double-digits in scoring -against the lowly New Jersey Nets. Jamison got banged up as he aggravated both his right shoulder injury and his nagging right foot injury. But on Saturday against the Knicks, you couldn't tell that he could barely put on his right shoe without grimacing the night before. He was bouncing around, all over the court as he grabbed a career-high 23 rebounds. He added 22 points.

It's really quite amazing that Jamison could establish a career-high in rebounds at age 33. It's even more startling that his previous best - 21 - came more than 10 years ago, on Jan. 25, 2000, when he was a second-year forward with the Golden State Warriors.

After the game, Coach Flip Saunders was asked about how Jamison missed out on making the all-star team despite averaging more than 20 points and eight rebounds.

"He's an all-star. He just wasn't selected and the reason he wasn't selected was not because he hasn't done. It's what the team hasn't done," he said.

It's hard to argue that Jamison was more deserving than Charlotte's Gerald Wallace, Toronto's Chris Bosh or Boston's Paul Pierce, since those players are having great seasons on winning teams. The East might not be as powerful as the West, but winning still carries a lot of weight with the coaches.

Jamison said that a trip to Dallas would go a long way toward helping him feel better about another miserable season in Washington. But he wasn't complaining.

"It's understandable," he said. "Just because I didn't get selected doesn't mean it's the end of the world. It gives me some much time off with the family, to go home and just rest this body for the second half of the season and try to finish off with a bang.

"I'm disappointed I didn't make it," Jamison said. "Kind of frustrating the last two years, the team play, I won't say that's the reason why, but I think I've been playing pretty good basketball of late. But as long as I can look myself in the mirror, I'm happy. They say I'm handsome, so I'm enjoying it. I'm even more handsome when I'm getting wins."

Two in a row, and a career night, gave him reason to smile.

By Michael Lee  |  January 31, 2010; 12:51 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Larry Hughes on Arenas: 'He'll be back' with Wizards
Next: Wizards' morning brew: the Celtics come to town

Comments

I agree with Flip AJ gets his stats and plays no "D"!

It's like AJ thinks every game is the all star game?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

MeTawn:

26 FG attempts

3 FT attempts.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

How many points did you two winners score tonight? Negative a-holes...

Posted by: IrenePollin | January 31, 2010 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Watching this game after some of the recent trade rumors, really got me thinking about what the Wiz should do with this roster.

I think it simply comes down to making decisions proactively rather than waiting for player to decide at the end of the year.

If they want to keep a guy they should make sure the guy feels wanted as the season wraps-up (BTH, MM, or Foye). And if they know a guy will leave (*like CB3), they should trade him away to make sure they get something in return. Even if it is just a guy like TMac. At least they could give up their rights to him at the end of the season to clear the cap space rather than not have that cap room while they try to negotiate (its a CBA thing).

I've been a huge fan of Caron since college and I was thrilled when they got him, but he cannot fit into this system/team anymore. When he tries to be aggressive, he becomes a blackhole that never passes the ball and when he tries to backoff, he is the passive guy we see in games like these last two.

I say if the Nets are still willing to trade Devin Harris for CB, take it. Who knows maybe they want to include one of their other longterm deals in Courtney Lee, since it appears they want to clear the roster altogether (not just cap room).

I honestly think that the Nets now plan to just BUY a NEW team in the offseason. Stories coming out of there point to just that. Ask LeBron and/or others who they want to play with and scoop up at least 3 of them. I remember when Orlando wanted to do that w/Duncan and it didn't work.

Posted by: SportzWiz | January 31, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

AJ was never a defensive star but he constantly puts up 20pts and nearly 10 rebounds per game. I do like and respect him because he has always been a solid citizen. Flip has been around (although no Auerbach) and knows what he has.

Butler is fine as he is consistent and gets his nearly 17 pts and 7 rebounds per game.

Haywood gets his 10 and 10 per game and plays a bit of D.

Miller gets 9 points and and nearly 6 rpg.

All these guys particularly Butler and Jamison deserve a chance to be on a winner. Trade em all and let's get some young draft picks.

In my opinion resigning "ese payaso" (that clown) Arenas was one of the stupidest moves in franchise history. Look at the stats - Arenas has a 41.1 shooting percentage. He is a reprehensible unconscionable gunner and was only in the upper echelon of guards for one season Only a few Wizard subs shoot for a lower percentage and they aren't making $14-16 million dollars per year.

Even before the gun incident I was going ballistic that we resigned "Agent Zero" (as we all know he is a secret agent and needs his gun at all times)because he wasn't and never will be a "pillar" type guy who you can build a team around.Other Washington fans said he put fannies in the seats. Look at our attendance and you will see that Arenas never was a factor in increased attendance. He isn't worth the money and I am glad he is losing 7.4-7.6 million this year because he has "stolen"
(legally)it by getting the money he got to begin with.

His re-signing rates up there with resigning the fabulous "Juwan" and trading 3 number 1 draft picks and Tom Gugliotta (20pts and 10 boards per game) for bonehead Chris Webber. CWebb was even stupid enough to be caught smoking a "doobie" on his way to practice.

I wouldn't waste my time worrying about someone like Jamison who innocently was brought into this nightmare of a franchise and who plays as advertised.I do wish him well and hope we can trade him somewhere he has a chance to be the winner that he is. Ditto for Butler.

We need to rebuild like the Hawks did through the draft. We need someone who can evaluate talent so we get no more "Kwames" (thank you MJ)and at least make this team exciting and youthful. No more quick fixes.

Everybody knows that basketball players are not choirboys and certainly not rocket scientists. The least we can ask for is that they have the sense God gave a goose. If Arenas and Webber were debating 2 geese - I'd put money on the geese.

Posted by: rickywarner49 | January 31, 2010 3:22 AM | Report abuse

"On a few occasions, it looked as if Antawn Jamison was attempting to get his master's degree from the Moses Malone School..."

Beautifully said, Mr. Lee. For those of us still clinging on to the best for les boulez, it's heartening to read about a quiet leader such as Antawn. Same quiet dignity and undevalued talent as an Art Monk.

it would be a mistake getting rid of either Antawn or Caron. If we can somehow wipe Gilbert off the books, draft well and sign another underrated talent with a chip on his shoulder, les boulez can be something special.

maybe grunfield will turn back into a wizard again.

Posted by: sa11231 | January 31, 2010 4:42 AM | Report abuse

Strange game. Jamison taking a shot, missing a shot, getting his rebound. He goes to the line only 3 times even though he collects 23 boards. You can argue he's not taking the ball to the hoop, but not that he's staying outside and avoiding the big men like so many scorers do.

So that's two weak teams the Wiz have beaten in successive nights. NY is having as bad a year as we are. A little schadenfreude for the rest of us.

The Randy Foye-Earl Boykins combination works pretty well, IMO. Foye's a natural starter but when his shot falters, Boykins is there. Even when Earl's shot is off, he picks the pace up nicely. I can see why Saunders appreciates him.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Whaddya want to bet that the Knicks have already offered Eddy Curry in exchange for Gilbert?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

gilbert or ernie

choose one

Posted by: zengomi | January 31, 2010 4:50 AM | Report abuse

Ugh!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 31, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting this, Mike. The Post can no longer cover night games on weekends in their print edition, and get the results out to where I live (in NW DC). I guess because of budget cuts.

Posted by: EdDC | January 31, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

And Gilbert?

B = X - Y, where B = buyout amount, X = the money remaining on his contract, and Y equals his market value elsewhere. So that's about $46 million.

So Gilbert gets $46 plus $31 million (his pay for his first two years of the contract) and that amounts to getting $77 million from the Wiz for doing practically nothing except massive destruction.

Posted by: EdDC | January 31, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

It's actually the Jerry Lucas School - he found out that the he could get credited for a rebound if he chased down the final shot of the quarter, even if time had expired.

Posted by: lrmc623 | January 31, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

"I totally agree with the rebuilding through the draft approach. Let's trade the vets for draft picks, even if it means getting some contracts on the team as part of the deals for Antawn, Butler and Miller that will hurt the Wiz short-term. Once we get a bunch of young talent in here in a couple years, it will start to get exciting. And then you keep building like this, all the way to the top.

Posted by: EdDC | January 31, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse"

Keep dreaming. There are already a ton of young dudes on this team. Most acquired via the draft. None have produced consistently.

Also, EG is not your man if you are looking to the draft.

He can't draft, and his FA acquisitions have fizzled.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Then he goes to Sacramento & puts together a few years of great leadership skills), and fore the call(s) of the refs,get a 'CHAMPIONSIP' snatched from the throes of victory...see Donaghy ! And now sits on NBA TV like a model spokesperson analizing the actions of other's such as Agent 0 (even after the college scandal too)@ Michigan ! (remember). So let's not get so analytical, your profession would be ?? All person's including yourself is given a mulligan on mistakes in LIFE, although probaly not with the amount of $$$ attached as Agent 0 has. And while you at it see if Gil's mistake is anywhere close to that of the people that really control our lives such as the people on the hill or aspires to be on a higher level (President of the United States). I think you get my drift.....

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | January 31, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"Say what you want about Gilbert the player. But as a businessman, Gil is among the very best in DC sports history. And I say that in deep appreciation of his business skills, with no sarcasm or irony intended. EG was stung! Oh well, that's business, Ernie. Maybe the Bucks will take you back.

Posted by: EdDC | January 31, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Funny, people (Mark, GM'er, Lisa R, and the rest of the Gilby suck ups) were arguing with me before about how Gilby isn't a cancer to the team and is not a distraction.

What say you now?

Nothing. Nothing can be said.

LMFAO!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

11 "I"s in one paragraph and people think this guys a good leader?

He's right up there with George W.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

What you say is true. However, Gil will have cleared well over $120 million out of the Wiz by the time his buyout is complete (considering both of his contracts). And then he plays again after his suspension is over, most likely for a better team than the Wiz. Strictly looking at Gil's business acumen (and putting basketball aside), he has to be considered among the very best, ever, in this town. Have you seen such a lopsided contract, in one person's favor (Gil's) relative to what the Wiz received in value? Gil did much better than Juwan Howard or anyone else I can think of.

Posted by: EdDC | January 31, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Are you serious? have you been asleep the past decade? Enron, Worldcom, AIG, ETC ETC ETC

Posted by: Blurred | January 31, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred

AS YOU CAN SEE, DC GIRL STRUGGLES A BIT WITH REALITY…..

Posted by: dsquare | January 31, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Great job again by Jamison. He NEVER cheats the fans and gives 110% everynight.

I understand if we have to trade him but I hope we don't. He is the opposite of Arenas.

Again Great job Antwan..and Miller and the entire team last night!

Hopefully we can at least compete with Boston and maybe find a way to get a win!

Posted by: kevenjones | January 31, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Jamison is a nice third option on a good team. He has to go.

Ernie, trade him before he breaks down AGAIN.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

He doesn't make the rest of the team great so why would he be an all-star? poor defense and selfish plays hurts the rest of the team.

Posted by: bdunkadunk | January 31, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Lotto ball will bounce in our favor and we end up with a horse we can ride deep into the playoffs.

Posted by: VBFan | January 31, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"Jamison is a nice third option on a good team. He has to go."

so what does that make the rest of the players on this team? 10th options on a good team?

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

it's funny that AJ can pull down 23boards in a win and still get gruff from fans....about what exactly? Being almost the only player on the roster still working his butt off every night? What a selfish guy!

Bite the bullet and trade him to the Cavs before he gets hurt playing 40+ mins every night

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VBFan

Demarcus Cousins?

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"Jamison is a nice third option on a good team. He has to go."

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 12:35 PM

Who else on the Wiz would start on a good team? Miller (a nice third option guy)? Maybe Butler (a decent sixth man)?

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 12:44 PM

Right you are!

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"The last time Jamison was on a really good team he couldn't even break the starting lineup.

Posted by: tgif11"

Not supplanting Dirk as a starter is hardly a big knock on a guy right?

If AJ is the "must go" player on the team, that also says the rest of the roster can be flushed because he's far better than anyone else we're putting out there.

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

divi3

The Wizards need an extreme makeover.

Just like you don't rebuild a house on a bad foundation, you don't try to rebuild a team with players who have proven they can't win in the NBA.

That goes for the rest of the organization.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"He doesn't make the rest of the team great so why would he be an all-star?"

Paul Pierce was an all-Star multiple times before Garnett joined the Celtics and turned them into champions. He wasn't exactly making the other Celtics "great" when the team was losing in the first round or trolling the lottery all those years. Same with Ray Allen and the Bucks/Sonics.

"11 "I"s in one paragraph and people think this guys a good leader?"

Yeah, because the mark of a true leader is to shun the first person singular and speak about themselves only in the third person.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"No, the big knock on him was he couldn't supplant another 'tweener - Antoine Walker."

Jamison coming off the bench had nothing to do with not being able to "supplant" Walker. The fact is, Jamison put up better numbers off the bench (in fewer minutes) than Walker did as a starter. Dallas just thought Walker was a better fir with the starting unit.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Good businessman don't cause the total collapse of their enterprise by taking risks that not only have absolutely no reward, but jeopardize their future viability to exist.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | January 31, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse "

Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Tell me from a business sense, why it was a good risk to take for Gilby to bring 4 guns into VC.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"AS YOU CAN SEE, DC GIRL STRUGGLES A BIT WITH REALITY…..

Posted by: dsquare | January 31, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse "

Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Another thing I liked about Mike Miller's performance against the Knicks: the hard foul he gave to Jeffries to keep Jeffries from scoring on a breakaway layup.

As for future moves, to me the easiest move seems to be with Crittenton. Trade him, buy him out, or just release him. Clearly the Wizards can't keep him on the same team as Arenas, and Arenas likely is not going anywhere.

So make room on the roster to start restocking the team with new talent.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | January 31, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Dallas just thought Walker was a better fir with the starting unit.

Because Walker was going to throw a fit if he had to come off the bench.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 31, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"As for future moves, to me the easiest move seems to be with Crittenton. Trade him, buy him out, or just release him."

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"WRT the other players on the team, they can all be flushed with the possible exceptions of McGee and Blatche, IMHO."

David Lee is 6'9" and he went to town on BTH and AB. If softness is one of the big knocks on AJ, then AB goes on the "bye-bye" list as well no?

i would say Mcgee, NY, and maybe Foye are the only true keepers- if there are any

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

i>Dallas just thought Walker was a better fir with the starting unit.

I'm not sure what Antoine's "better numbers" have to do his not supplanting Walker, but Dallas was keenly aware of his "better numbers" and still brought him off the bench and gave him fewer minutes than Walker.

In other words, Dallas felt that starting Walker and giving him more minutes than Jamison gave them the best chance to win. Like I said, Jamison could not and did not supplant Walker.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 2:32 PM

Blatche's best basketball is still in front of him, IMO. I agree he definitely needs to get tougher and stronger.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Blah, blh, blah. The blindingly obvious implication was that is that Jamison couldn't supplant Wlaker because he couldn't outplay him. Which is horsesh@t because Jamison did outplay him, even coming off the bench and playing fewer minutes. Manu Ginobili has spent several years coming off the Spurs bench behind guys like Bruce Bowen, Keith Bogans, and Roger Mason. Was it because he couldn't "supplant" them or because the coach thought he brought something coming off the bench that no one else could?

That's rhetorical question, of course. Don't bother shorting a gasket trying to come up with another pile of crap to try and spin the answer to support the previous piles.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"In other words, Dallas felt that starting Walker and giving him more minutes than Jamison gave them the best chance to win"

They were also a Nellie team that was bounced in the 1st round and thought getting rid of Nash "gave them the best chance to win"....so take their opinion for what it's worth

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Like I said, Jamison could not and did not supplant Walker."

Posted by: tgif11

"If he wouldn't have accepted the role, I would've started him," Nelson said. "It was really that simple. I would've had another tough decision to make. But he accepted the role and made my life very easy."

"

Posted by: djnnnou | January 31, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Ignoring the obvious again, aren't you?

The only guy who got more minutes than a healthy Ginobili was Bruce Bowen, the best defensive stopper at his position at one time, and yes, Bowen gave them the best chance to win, so he started and he played more minutes. You should by now that coaches don't just judge a guy by his numbers.

It's about winning and the Spurs did more than their fair share with Bowen starting and getting the lion's share of the minutes.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"You should by now that coaches don't just judge a guy by his numbers."

Exactly my point. The numbers say Jamison was better than Walker, but Nelson started Walker over Jamison for reasons that had nothing to do with numbers or head-to-head quality, thus putting the stake to your crap argument that Jamison wasn't good enough to beat out Walker for a starting job.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"Like I said, Jamison could not and did not supplant Walker."

Posted by: tgif11

"

Posted by: djnnnou | January 31, 2010 3:00 PM

That's so easy to say, isn't it?

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

That's so easy to say, isn't it?
Posted by: tgif11

It's really hard for you to admit being wrong, isn't it?

Posted by: djnnnou | January 31, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

If we're drawing negatives from the win, I'd point to BTH's inability to even score 8pts against a 6'9" center who also outmuscled our 6'11" backup C...while Mcgee gets a DNP...before I'd take issue with a 22pt/23reb night from AJ

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

No, your point was Jamison had better numbers and outplayed Walker.
The fact is they added Walker to the team after Jamison had already been penciled in as the starter in camp, then did a 180 by taking Jamison out of the starting lineup and giving Walker more minutes than Jamison.

Those are the facts.

If anything, Walker flat-out supplanted Jamison. Does that sound better to your ears?

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"David Lee is 6'9" and he went to town on BTH and AB"

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

That's so easy to say, isn't it?
Posted by: tgif11

It's really hard for you to admit being wrong, isn't it?

Posted by: djnnnou | January 31, 2010 3:07 PM

No, it's hard for me to ignore the fact that Nelson was talking about what he would've done. It still doesn't explain why he gave Walker more minutes, does it? If Jamison would've complained about that, would Nelson have given him more minutes than Walker.
It's just talk, not action.
Next somebody will be posting a quote from Nelson saying he would've started Jamison over Dirk if Jamison had complained.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, because Nelson will say and do anything to please his players.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 31, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"I'm a Lee fan but 1) I doubt he's 6'9", unless he grew an inch after college, and 2) IMO he benefits a lot from the D'Antoni style of play, the way Amare, Shawn Marion, and Boris Diaw did in Phoenix."

No doubt he does on offense, but it's a real problem (for us) when your 7footers cant take advantage of that on the other end. BTH plays like he is 6'6" and AB is bent on being a jump shooter whether at 4 or 5.

To me, AJs play is the lesser of our worries

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, because Nelson will say and do anything to please his players.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 31, 2010 3:22 PM

Maybe. I don't know.
But I do know that you posted that Nelson started Walker to please Walker (i.e., to keep him from throwing a fit).
Your argument is inconsistent.

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Just like when Gil scored 61 points one game does not make a career.

Neither of these players have ever won anything!

AJ's "D" made Jared Jefferies look like he was Tim Duncan?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Antawn has pretty good market value. Plus he's a great guy.

The big question is: what will help the Wiz a couple years down the road? Trading Antawn, Butler and Miller would meet that criterion.

Posted by: EdDC | January 31, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

At this point from the Wizards perspective, I might want to go a little slow in trading Jamison.

However, I am gravely concerned that Team is still not making winning decisions.

If their goal is to keep Blatche because they feel that Wood will walk, I wound not have Blatche feeling in at Center while Wood sits based upon the supposition that he is outa' here.

Trade Wood, yes, that is an option, but the thing that concerns me the most is you must always be about winning.

To limit Wood's minutes because he is not in your plans and not to develop Blatche at the power forward position is not very smart.

If you are about winning you must make winning decisions.

If McGee is truly a player you want to keep you must let him start to play the Center position if you are sure that Wood is outa here.

On the other hand no one knows how things work out, so the plan to play Blatche at Center and to keep McGee on the bench does not develop this Team going forward to me.

You must always play to win and make winning decisions. It eventually develops a winning attitude in your Team.

Blatche knows he isn't a center and he should be playing power forward.

Move Haywood to the three and adjust your Team from there.

One thing is for sure, Haywood is going to bring whatever the brings even from the three position.

Having McGee get the minutes behind Haywood and Blatche getting major minutes at the four might look ugly but at the same time it develops your Team for the Future.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Move Haywood to the three and adjust your Team from there.

You're kidding, right?

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"it's funny that AJ can pull down 23boards in a win and still get gruff from fans....about what exactly?

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Just like when Gil scored 61 points one game does not make a career.

Neither of these players have ever won anything!

AJ's "D" made Jared Jefferies look like he was Tim Duncan?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Move Haywood to the three and adjust your Team from there.

You're kidding, right?

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 4:16 PM

An egregious mistake, even after I proofed it. I apologized. Jamison should be the name instead of Haywood.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"I just hope the Wiz take advantage of his current value, while they still can. Who knows whether Antawn will come back next November and be the same guy? At his age, he could deteriorate any time now, so to move him, the Wiz should act. He could be a valuable addition to a team that wants to win this year. I'm for draft pick(s), even if it means taking on a player's short-term contract that another team wants to lose. It's all about rebuilding now."

The impression I get is that the other clubs are offering bupkis.

As in bupkis for players, bupkis for draft choices, bupkis for favorable contracts.

So making those trades at this point would probably insure future along the lines of... bupkis.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@Samson151,

If what you're saying is true, the chickens may be coming home to roost. Teams recognize that Jamison has a bad contract and are only willing to deal if we take back something toxic in return.
What a mess!

Posted by: 2020doc | January 31, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

AJ doesnt have a bad contract really, he has a spendy deal for a crap team. His contract is not a deterrent for good teams interested in winning now.

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"11 "I"s in one paragraph and people think this guys a good leader?"

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

A true leader thinks of the "TEAM" first not only about himself.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

divi3

Considering AJ has never won anything and refuses to play "D" why would a team believe he is the missing player to win a championship?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

"I guess people didn't read Mike Lee's first sentence about those 23 boards WRT stat padding.

Posted by: DC_MAN88"

But yeah, let's make a push to re-sign him like you've been saying

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"divi3

Posted by: bulletsfan78"

Steve Nash has never won anything and doesnt play D, but you've sung his praises many times.

Dirk has never won anything and doesnt play D, but is a 3time MVP anyway.

As much as people like to talk D, at the end of the day you still have to put the ball in the hoop. And that is something AJ can do without any need of facilitation from other players not to mention pull down boards.

That's why the Cavs want him, but maybe you know better than them.

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

The impression I get is that the other clubs are offering bupkis.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

You should be able to get a #1 from the Cavs for Antawn. He is worth that much.

If not, take a #1 in 2011 from the Cavs--which is likely a very high pick in the post LaBron era in Cleveland. If so you can get other things thrown in--maybe a useful player as well as the #1 in 2011.

Posted by: EdDC | January 31, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"AJ's 23 boards is 3 more than your hero Brendan has ever had in game, and it went along with 22pts- a number Haywood has eclipsed twice in his entire career.

But yeah, let's make a push to re-sign him like you've been saying

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse "

What the F#ck does MeTawn's stat padding have to do with BTH?!?!

Read Mike Lee's godd@mn post before you start tapping your f'n fingers!!

D@mbf*ck!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 31, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@divi3,

Comparing Jamison to two MVPs? Bad idea?

Nash is (was?) considered the best at his position.

There's no comparison.

At the end of the day, Jamison has to combine his ability to put the ball in the bucket with a higher basketball IQ. Sadly, at this stage of his career, he is what he is. I personally wouldn't want the youngsters on the team picking up his bad basketball habits like shooting threes early in the shot clock when the Wiz have a lead. He's a gunner that will kill a team if he's your primary scorer.

Move him if you can safely do so without ruining the team moving forward.
My two shillings.

Posted by: 2020doc | January 31, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

2020doc,

the point was for bullets78, whose point was that as AJ doesnt play D he should have no value to teams that want to win.

Well, Dirk and Nash play no D whatsoever and have won exactly nothing- but are considered great players. So clearly there is more to a players value than defense.

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Wizards could go .500 in the month of February?

2-1 vs Bos L
2-3 @ NY W
2-5 @ Orl L
2-6 vs Atl L
2-9 @ Chr W
2-17 vs Minn W
2-19 vs Den L
2-20 @ Tor L
2-22 vs Chi W
2-24 vs Mem L
2-26 vs NY W
2-28 @ NJ W

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the Wiz could go .500 in Feb., but when I look at the rest of the schedule, it's hard to see them putting much of a dent in that -14 under .500 they've got going. I know it's the east, but even there, that's not going to cut it. Can anyone - ANYONE - make a reasonable argument for the Wiz making it to the postseason? How's this, through trades we actually make some adjustments that happily gel THIS season. . . . NAH!

Build for the future. Trade. Get the best you can with what you've got. Would like to see us keep MM, Foye, McGee. Wish the best to AJ, BTH, and Caron. Wish well to the rest.

Posted by: 7snider7 | January 31, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

You know it is really amazing how so many say we have to make this move or that one, and things should get better.

With Flip Saunders as the Coach going forward, he hasn't shown yet that any moves will make us better.

I just don't get it. Ponder this, how is Javale McGee going to be miraculously ready to play at some point getting the amount of realtime gametime development that he is getting now?

If McGee is truly an untouchable by the Team, why isn't he being developed with some real gametime experience?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

"Dirk averages more points and boards than Jamison for his career AND he has taken his team to the Finals.

There's no comparison."

23pts/8rebs/2.7dimes career for Dirk
20pts/8rebs/1.7dimes career for AJ
both take 17 shots per game

and Dirk is the MVP we wish we had while AJ is the poison pill to our young guys? Dont see it that way personally

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 31, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

@divi3

There's not a person blogging on this site (and that includes YOU) who wouldn't be ecstatic to see a Dirk for Antawn trade, so I'm not sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that the two are equal talents because neither has won a championship?

Posted by: 2020doc | January 31, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards have told teams tat they will move anyone on their roster except for Antawn Jamison, who has a sterling reputation and is perhaps their most popular player. He's considered a little soft, but these are hard times in Washington, and the Wizards are in a place no team wants to be, wishing their troubles would just go away.

Posted by: rnorris6 | January 31, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Don't know how many of you are watching the Celtic Laker game but Mark Jackson says give me good offense over good defense any day of the week.

Thats why we should have chosen Mark Jackson over Flip Saunders.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"There's not a person blogging on this site (and that includes YOU) who wouldn't be ecstatic to see a Dirk for Antawn trade"

I would not be ecstatic about that trade, so speak for yourself please. Dirk is 31yrs old and on bad ankles, while we are in rebuild mode and may not be competitive for....lord knows how long. Nowitski would do nothing for us other than sell tix now.

What I was suggesting was in response to bullets78 comment that AJ should have no trade value to a good team because he is poor defensively.

"BTW, Dirk has averaged 8.5 rebs vs. Antawn's 8.1 since you're being particular about it."

ok, well AJ pulls in 2.6 offensive boards to Dirk's 1.3 then! :-)

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

You left out the part that AJ has never won anything and last year lead this team to 19 wins?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

@divi3,

Are you out of your mind???!!

Dirk is 31 and Jamison is 34 (with a bad shoulder and bad knees).

Currently, Dirk has a better FG percentage, FT percentage, 3-pt percentage, ppg, apg, and bpg. He's also the best player on solid playoff contender.

That would be an absolute steal!

I'll try not to speak for you in the future, but someone should because you're borderline. ;-)

Posted by: 2020doc | January 31, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

my bad, i thought Dirk was on a long term deal, that's why I said I wouldnt be "ecstatic" about a trade since we wont be good until he is old anyway. In reality he's a FA after 2010 so not a big burden.

However we could insert Dirk for AJ into this current lineup and we'd still suck imho

Posted by: divi3 | January 31, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 6:14 PM

Don't know if that is really an accurate statement.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 31, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

"There's no need for the Wizards to do anything with Crittenton. He's suspended the rest of the year, and his contract is up at the end of the season. He's done as a member of the Wiz."

I realize that the Pollins, who are selling the team, probably don't want to spend another dime on players. On the other hand, I don't see how having Crittenton taking up a roster spot adds to the value of the team.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | January 31, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

23 wins this year good for seventh or eighth pick-wise.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 31, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

We've got to start tanking games soon to get into the lottery.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 31, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

You should be able to get a #1 from the Cavs for Antawn. He is worth that much.

****

A #1 from Cavs is like the 25th pick at best. May as well trade for 3 2nd rounders since anything later than 20th is basically the same as early 2nd round.

If Jamison...a known 20/8 guy...is only worth the 25th pick, then we should hold on to him.

Posted by: Blurred | January 31, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | January 31, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

The CAVS pick will probably be 29th or 30th actually.

Posted by: Utilityman1 | January 31, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

"A true leader thinks of the "TEAM" first not only about himself."

He was answering a question about himself, not about the team.

"I can tell you never spent any time in the military or ever played any sports on a winning team."

And I can tell that you're an idiot with an agenda who bends over backwards at any opportunity to distort the facts to fit said agenda. You couldn't be more transparent if you were made of cellophane.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

"No, your point was Jamison had better numbers and outplayed Walker. "

No, and that fact that you said that just further underscores your inability to grasp my (or pretty much any) point.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

"It still doesn't explain why he gave Walker more minutes, does it?"

Walker averaged a whopping 5 mpg more than Jamison, so you can get off that bus. As for why Walker got more minutes . . . anyone who knows anything about Walker or Nelson (which clearly rules you out on both counts) knows the answer to that. Jamison is a scorer. Nelson has always favored big men who handled the ball and through whom he could run the offense. That was the strength of Walker's game. Walker's game fit better into Nelson's nontraditional offensive sets as a starter. A coach who lacked Nelson's idiosyncratic style (which is most coaches in the NBA) would have started Jamison over Walker (or started Dirk at C and put Walker and Jamison in the starting lineup).

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. I don't doubt that Lee would be an asset on a good team, but in a more structured offense there's no way he'd put up the kind of numbers he is now.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, I know Crittenton's contract is up this year. My point is that he is taking up a spot on the roster. Am I wrong? "

In that case, there's still nothing they can do with him. No one is going to trade for him, he's not going to agree to a buyout, and I'm fairly certain you can't waive a guy who's under league-mandated suspension. (The CBA prohibits the punishment of a player twice for the same infraction; an attempt to waive him would certainly be challenged by the players' union as a punishment for the gun incident for which he's been suspended in the first place. It's part of the same reasoning that makes an attempt to void Arenas' contract likely to fail.) They're stuck with him until the end of the year.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"You left out the part that AJ has never won anything..."

By 'anything', I assume we're talking about an NBA title. If so, there's a honking flaw in that argument: some of the NBA's very best never won a title. And a lot of mediocre supporting players have rings on their fingers.

Some of the NBA's best current players probably will never be more than also-rans.
You can put Allen Iverson in that group, along with Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash and Tracy McGrady. Looks like in another year or two you can add Chris Paul and Deron Williams to that list. Those guys got closer than Jamison, but in the scheme of things, how much does that matter? Their ring fingers are just as bare.

Suppose Jamison goes to Cleveland and leBron leads them to a title. Will he be a better player than he is now? Of course not. He'll just be on a better team.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

"There's not a person blogging on this site (and that includes YOU) who wouldn't be ecstatic to see a Dirk for Antawn trade, so I'm not sure what your point is."

Dirk's one of my favorite players, but I wouldn't be ecstatic for such a trade because (A) the Mavs wouldn't give up any meaningful assets other than Dirk in such a deal (in fact, the Wiz would have to throw in more assets to get the Maves to bite) and (B) if it happened (which, of course, it never would) Nowitzki would certainly exercise his player option to become a FA this summer, leaving the Wizards with nothing of value to show for dealing the best player on the team.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Interesting enough. According to Marc Stein at ESPN.com

Wiz, Rockets talking deal

Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets have indeed expressed an interest in Wizards forward Caron Butler and center Brendan Haywood. But for a Wizards-Rockets deal to go through, Washington would almost certainly try to hold out for at least one of Houston's rotation players, such as Luis Scola, in addition to McGrady.

The Rockets, though, are determined to keep the core of a roster that has unexpectedly managed this season without McGrady and the injured Yao Ming. Houston is thus believed to be offering Washington only the payroll relief that would come with McGrady's contract.

Posted by: bozomoeman | January 31, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

"Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets have indeed expressed an interest in Wizards forward Caron Butler and center Brendan Haywood. But for a Wizards-Rockets deal to go through, Washington would almost certainly try to hold out for at least one of Houston's rotation players, such as Luis Scola, in addition to McGrady"

And that'll never happen. The Rockets aren't going to surrender anything of real value aside from McGrady's deal, esp. given that (A) Haywood most likely won't re-sign with them after the season and (B) Butler's contract is up after next season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Reality says that no contending team like Cleveland, Orlando or Portland has currently offered nothing but expiring contracts and a late 1st round draft pick for Jamison or Haywood...those type of trades WILL NOT help in the long-term. Better deals can be had prior to the draft or over the summer when the Wizards know if they'll be stuck with the Arenas contract or have to do a buyout. If a player wants out, then they should be moved. Teams smell blood in the water which is why the trade offers are so poor.

Keeping Jamison and/or Butler won't make the Wizard a 40+ win team this year, but might help to provide some stability going into next year. IF they Wiz are able to void Arenas' contract and draft a top young PG in the draft like Sherron Collins or John Wall, then they might have something to build around. Trading complimentary players like Miller and Haywood makes some sense since you'll get nothing for them after the season but a fire sale will not help rebuild the franchise.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 31, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

"Trading complimentary players like Miller and Haywood makes some sense since you'll get nothing for them after the season but a fire sale will not help rebuild the franchise."

Neither will keeping together the core of a team that has consistently failed to live up to expectations.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of all the talk about pros and cons about individual players. What the Wiz needs are a group of individuals who are a cohesive fit, mesh with one another and can fit the scheme of the coach. All of the discussion about all we need is this or that All Star and all will be well in Wizland is a fantasy. There could be five All Star starters and that would not guarantee a team a place in the post season.

Flip Saunders was selected because he has a specific approach and has demonstrated that he is a winner. Yes, there has been a few (?) unanticipated problems, but things are what they are. The players went through a training camp and 45 games now and it is apparent that some are fitting into coach's scheme and some are not. It has nothing to do with whether or not they are good players. It has more to do with cohesiveness and ability to fit in the scheme.

I am no NBA expert, but I believe that Miller, Foye, Jamison and Hayward have been able to do so. Young has worked hard and is showing good progress. McGhee is coachable and watching his game last year and this he has made changes and just needs more playing time to get it down. As for Boynkins his role is to provide energy off the bench and he does that. I love CB, but he just haven't been able to get in the flow with Flips' scheme. Those who I have not mentioned just aren't impressing me one way or the other, which has nothing to do with whether they are good players or not.

Bottom Line, we need a TEAM, not a specific player. Flip know the types of players and talents he needs to develop a winning team (and they may not be All Stars, but players with specific skill sets that fit a certain role). By now Flip knows who fits and who doesn't and who is developing in the right direction. I would hope that he and EG would be looking at those who meets the neccessary criteria and those who do not.. Whoever doesn't should be available to trade and that would be to the advantage of the Wiz and other teams with needs that could be met by these players. And I suspect that Flip has folks in mind that would fit well.

Basketball is a TEAM sport.

(How about we trade DeShawn, Gilbert and Blatche for Labron? We'd have to give Cleveland some money to defray contract cost of Gil. But my gut tells me that LaBron will stay where he's out.)

Posted by: deesy | January 31, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

You're clearly delusional. In your 2:40 pm post you said this:

From the above, it's pretty clear that you say that Jamison outplayed Walker based on Jamison's numbers in fewer minutes. Never run away from you've posted. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

It was a bus you were driving, you hypocrite. You were the first to mention that Jamison got fewer minutes than Walker. Are you even vaguely aware of what you post?

Yet another red herring from you. Obfuscation does not work with me. The truth is Jamison was designated the starter in training camp, then they traded for Walker, benched Jamison and, as you correctly pointed out first, played Jamison fewer minutes per game than Walker.

Walker took his starting position and his minutes. FACTS!

Who supplanted whom??!!

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

"I'm fairly certain you can't waive a guy who's under league-mandated suspension. (The CBA prohibits the punishment of a player twice for the same infraction"

I've tried to look up this specific question a couple times on Larry Coon's FAQs and Google, and found no specific answer. And what you say seems logical.

On the other hand, would buying out or releasing Crittenton be a second "punishment"? He's not going to play anyway, due to the suspension. He can't even practice with the team. He's not getting paid due to the suspension. True, he may appeal the suspension, and the Wizards would probably want to wait to see how that comes out. But if he doesn't appeal the suspension, would he not benefit from being either bought out, or released, from his contract? He could play overseas for the rest of this season. It is possible that Stern's office might object to that as watering down his punishment.

Anyway, if not Crittenton, then the Wizards should find a way to remove other dead wood from the roster, such as Oberto or Mike James.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | January 31, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

"From the above, it's pretty clear that you say that Jamison outplayed Walker based on Jamison's numbers in fewer minutes.

Of course I said it. I never said I didn't. But that observation, in and of itself, was not the point of my argument. It was simply (and obviously) evidence given to support my larger point (and to refute yours). Attempting to frame it as the sole point of my argument is willful misinterpretation of the most blatant (and ham-fisted) kind.

"Never run away from you've posted. Just admit you were wrong and move on."

I'd suggest you take your own advice, but that ship has clearly sailed.

"Obfuscation does not work with me. "

And blatant ignorance of clear facts doesn't work with me. The point of your argument is that Jamison was unable to "supplant" Walker because Walker was clearly the better player. He wasn't. Walker became the starter because his particular skill set better fit Nelson's offense.

Fact.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

You couldn't be more transparent if you were made of cellophane.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 31, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

That's because I don't change my opinion about the Wizards.

Unlike you who changes from day to day just to argue with people.

Sounds like you were the kid who was always picked last in gym class?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 31, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

There are observations and there are points and obviously, you pick and choose which are which. OK, Humpty Dumpty.

I'd suggest you take your own advice, but that ship has clearly sailed.

Emperor kalo_rama's wearing no clothes.

A whole bunch of opinion stated as fact. Maybe Walker was more skilled (i.e., better)?

At any rate, the undisputed FACTS are:

Posted by: tgif11 | January 31, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Until the trade deadline those guys are more assets than dead wood. I believe the buyout deadline is a couple of weeks after the trade deadline, so the Wizards can decide then if they want to release them.

Posted by: djnnnou | January 31, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Sources: Wiz, Rockets talking deal involving McGrady

Posted by: ptp23 | January 31, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

WIZ...SELL THEM TO TED AND MAYBE HE CAN GET US A TEAM LIKE THE CAPITALS!! TED DESERVES THIS TEAM...I REALLY THINK THAT HE CAN GET THIS ORG GOING FORWARD IN A POSITIVE DIRECTION...CAPS RULE D.C.!!!!!!!

Posted by: ronniecope106 | February 1, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

THE REDSKINS ARE BOYS...THE WIZ ARE GIRLS...THE CAPS ARE MEN

Posted by: ronniecope106 | February 1, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

I was in Orlando when McGrady played for the Magic. It seemed like he was always injured: usually back problems/spasms. If we want someone the Wiz can count on it wouldn't be McGrady. Gotta have someone on the bench for times he cannot play, or just figure to keep him on the bench regardless.

Posted by: deesy | February 1, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

"Antoine Walker came to town, Antawn Jamison was benched (supplanted?), Walker became the starter, and Walker played more minutes per game than Jamison.Posted by: tgif11"

The Brits were in WWII longer than the Yanks, too. Must have had a better army, huh?

Just teasing. But really, you can't legitimately rely on two simple facts -- that Walker was in the starting lineup and that he ultimately played more minutes per game -- to stake a claim that Walker was the 'better' or more valued player. Nelson, like most coaches, was seeking a viable seven or eight man rotation. Who started was far less important than who finished (don't you get tired of hearing coaches repeat that? maybe it's because we aren't listening). Nelson brought Walker in because of his unusual skill set. He started because he was never very effective off the bench (and complained about it). Jamison's remarkable productivity per minute, points and rebounds, and his energy made him very effective in shorter bursts.

The Celts brought Havlicek and later Bill Walton off the bench with remarkable success. Nobody thought Walton was less effective than Robert Parish. They were very different players.

The move won Jamison and award as 6th man of the year award

Posted by: Samson151 | February 1, 2010 4:42 AM | Report abuse

Whoops, pardon my fragments at the end of the previous post. That last sentence should have stayed on the bench.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 1, 2010 4:44 AM | Report abuse

I guess Roger "The Savior" Mason couldn't "supplant" DeShawn Stevenson then either?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 1, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

You're correct SDMDTSU.

Roger Mason was a nobody when he came to this team. He had done nothing in the NBA. It's only natural that he wouldn't supplant the starter. But then again, if you measured Stevenson's worth solely by his numbers, he wouldn't be in the NBA! ;)

Posted by: Firuz1 | February 1, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

You act like he was trying to beat out Kobe Bryant. If he was the BETTER player he would've started right?

He still hasn't done anything in the NBA and he wasn't a better player than Stevenson was...THEN.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 1, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU

I'm not acting like anything. I'm stating that Roger Mason did not supplant Stevenson. So you don't have to guess about it as you did. It's a solid truth.

Posted by: Firuz1 | February 1, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Ben Gordon, Jason Terry, and J.R. Smith aren't better than whoever starts or started over them.

People that wanted Blatche to start over Jamison here...I know you don't think Blatche is a better player.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 1, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Are you kidding me? Walton was run-down at the time. He was no where near as effective as Parish.

I agree with the premise of your argument in regards to Jamison being an effective 6th man though. Some people distort facts just to make an argument. They hate on wizards and claim to be fans. Jamison won 6th man of the year in Dallas and they make it seem like it was nothing cause they want to argue against Jamison. He has been the most consistent wizard but they only want to talk about his flaws. Some people need a life.

Posted by: G-Man11 | February 1, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Jamison was very effective as a sixth man. It would probably be his best role on a strong playoff team. He is miscast here as the best player.

Posted by: Firuz1 | February 1, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

He's the best player right now on a bad team. That's not a knock on him...it's on the quality of the team.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 1, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 1, 2010 9:20 AM

Just don't start getting his bust ready for the Hall of Fame, okay? It's been said that you have to be wary of players with numbers on a bad team. Other than Dallas, that's all he's played for - bad teams. On a good team, he comes off the bench - just like in Dallas.

Posted by: artiesliver | February 1, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the "he hasn't won anything" argument. KG didn't win anything for what? 13 years? Nash hasn't, Dirk hasn't either.

Wait. I thought it was all about TEAM? One player can't win or lose a championship. Ask Kobe. It's convenient to say HE didn't win a championship though isn't it?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 1, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Do you think Cleveland wants to bring him off the bench?

Posted by: G-Man11 | February 1, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Do you think Cleveland wants to bring Jamison off the bench?

Posted by: G-Man11 | February 1, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: artiesliver | February 1, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Dont know when I said he was Hall of Fame worthy or even heaped praise on him. Whatever makes you feel better though.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 1, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Why are so many of you in denial. Arenas never negotiated a contract in his life. He can't even collect on a bet when gambling. This is the worst team the Bullets have put together since 1978. Criminal activity and self centered play tells me no one deserves a trip to the NBA allstar game on this roster. Sadly, a trip to prison is in order.

Posted by: hessone | February 1, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Actually he negotiated his last one. LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 1, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

@SDMDTSU

Thanks for the heads up. Grunfeld really looks bad if that's the case.

Posted by: hessone | February 1, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

It's all a part of Ernie's master plan.

Posted by: melodious_thunk | February 1, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Somebody above mentioned trading 3 players for LeBron. Have you lost your mind nobody would take this entire franchise for LeBron!

Posted by: rickywarner49 | February 1, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse