Wizards' morning brew: Tough loss to Mavs

Last night, the Wizards played an impressive game against a division-leading team -- and fell just short after a terrible last play. Here is Michael Lee's game story and his postgame thoughts on that fatal final play.

Bullets Forever's Mike Prada found the postgame comments interesting as well.

Truth About It "live tweeted" the game, and earlier in the day offered a concise opinion about JaVale McGee's new dunk video.

Meanwhile, business writer Thomas Heath reports that Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and the estate of Abe Pollin have failed to reach agreement on a price for the Wizards and Verizon Center, automatically leading the two sides to start an appraisal process that could lstill ead to a deal.

Yesterday, Mike Jones examined the week so far in his Now-What Wednesday feature.

FanHouse's Bethlehem Shoals looked at Gilbert Arenas's on-court performance and examined when guards hit their prime.

CBSSports.com's Ken Berger assessed the current relationship between the Wizards and Arenas.

Around the League ...

Check out our new feature -- "NBA Players on Twitter" -- and take a look at a special edition of "Twits," in which local actors reenact the Tweets of NBA players -- including Washington Wizards guard Mike James.

There were 13 games last night. Here are highlights, courtesy of NBA.com:

By Alexa Steele  |  January 21, 2010; 9:32 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mavericks 94, Wizards 93
Next: Foye was supposed to get final shot

Comments

So it looks like Leonsis' purchase of the team isn't going to be the slam dunk that some predicted. Yet another cloud of uncertainty hanging over the team's season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 21, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't think missing the deadline indicates any problems. The WaPo reported that Leonsis will go with the price from the 3rd appraisal. If that is lower than what the estate is asking for, it delays the acquisition, but does not threaten it. Seems like smart business.

Posted by: BigNasty | January 21, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

DeShawn Stevenson is the worst starting 2 guard in the NBA. I'd rather have Jared Jeffries back than watch this useless tool.

Flip's mind games with NY are costing this team wins. This could have been the year when the light went on and STAYED on but now it's too late.

Please Flip end this nightmare known as DSteve. It can't be the money because Mike James has played 1 game all year and he makes MORE than Stevenson.

What is it then?

Don't tell me he is a stopper because DWade may drop 40 on him AGIAN tomorrow.

Does anybody remember Nick outplaying DWade when these teams last met?

Posted by: elfreako | January 21, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

at least they're doing better without gil.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 21, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"BTH haters have been silent for a while now. How many games will it take for them to realize that he's probably our most valuable player and asset. If AJ was younger it would be him but if we had to pick one guy that we cant afford to lose right now, BTH is that guy."

At this point the whole team is rather worthless. AJ plays no defense, while BTH plays no offense whatsoever. It's like the team was designed to create a +/- of 0 going into the final minute then let Arenas do his thing.

Last night was the worst I've seen from AJ in a long time, really an off performance.

BTH is what he is, a guy worth more than we pay him but not nearly worth what someone else is going to pay him. 18rebs last night, but probably 13 of them in the 1st half and 2 in the 4thQ.

AB is still a dummy.

For every decent game Deshawn plays he is useless for 2 games.

CB was having a nice outing, shame he tried to be Arenas.

Foye and Mcgee could be the only holdovers next season.

Posted by: divi3 | January 21, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

A few thoughts...

Is it me or does it appear that the only players on the Wizards rosters that actually pass the ball to teammates for easy scores are Blatche and Miller?

Everyone else seems to either play one on one, toss the ball around the perimeter or throw bad, telegraphed passes into the post?

Blatche and Miller look to hit teammates curling to the rim or off of dribble penetration.

I stand by my assertion that the real Caron Butler has been replaced by one of those pod people from "The Invasion of The Body Snatchers".

I don't blame Leonsis for low balling the Pollins. We've been low balled for the last 30 years!

Posted by: bozomoeman | January 21, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Okay i'm gonna guess Flip is pissed at CB for not running the designed play(drawn up in the huddle) and if true he should be with Mike Miller wide open in the corner what in the name of Elvin Hayes would make CB take a contested jumper with Marion draped all over him like a cheap suit in a rain storm? This the kind of boneheaded goofball krap that will kill any chance of this team making the playoffs.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 21, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

strong 7 pt 3 reb game from AJ, slightly above 33% shooting from caron, the veteran leadership is really holding things tgether without that deadweight Arenas. I also liked Foyes 26 with 3 assts, thank stern suspended that ballhog Arenas.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 21, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bozomoeman

No it's not just you. I feel you. I have thought this for years. I think that speaks to the B-ball IQ. We have a bunch of players with ONE skill set. (scoring only,etc...) You never see nice fast breaks or fast breaks at all really. You can pretty much tell instantly when a player is not going to pass regardless.

They need players with better B-ball IQ to have a good chemistry.

Posted by: millineumman | January 21, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I think that a real complicating factor in determining a fair price for the Wiz is Gil's contract. If it ends up being that the new owner is going to have to buy Gil our for $60-70 mil then I guess the team is worth $60-70 mil less. I just don't know how you price that.

Posted by: thinker11 | January 21, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Everybody looks for their shot before making the next pass. Miller and sometimes AB are the only guys who know before they catch it that they're going to quickly pass it.

NY was playing less 1-on-1 this year, but obviously he's done something wrong.

Boykins literally cannot see teammates behind defenders.

BTH can barely catch the ball.

AJ can shoot the ball off his hip at any conceivable angle, and thus feels "open" every touch he gets.

CB's head aint right.

just a mess, but thank god miller's back to fix the offense gil broke right

Posted by: divi3 | January 21, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

When Leonsis got the first right to buy the team he probably didnt expect he'd be the one guy on planet earth to whom the franchise/building are worth a premium.

interesting situation where Leonsis wants to pay slightly less than fair market (probably) given he negotiated the right-to-buy in the 1st place.....but the Pollins probably want over market, given how beneficial the verizon center will be for Leonsis

Posted by: divi3 | January 21, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

It's all Gil's fault.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 21, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I admire Leonsis for doing he smart thing business-wise.
He thinks the price has been artificailly inflated and he'll let the two arbitrators see if they can agree on what the "package" is worth. Even if he disagrees with findings of the two arbitors and ultimately disagrees with a third independent arbitor, he still gets to match any offer made by a third party in the open market (he'll never let it get that far).
Smart move by Leonsis!!

Posted by: artiesliver | January 21, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

NY makes 1 bad pass= 1 min. of pt.#4 makes bonehead after bonehead plays (the unequivocal leader/captain/veteran/can do no wrong/jump shooting every catch/that) 90 % of you cherish along with Flip gets a free pass on everything he does. Its wrong and anybody that criticizes NY for him being aloof out there is crazy. He can't play with any confidence with way Flip handles him. NY, AB, & RF are Flip's whipping boys. He is not teaching ,he snatches and they never see the light until there released from the perverbial doghouse. The only reason RF is getting a chance is because of the Arenas situation. RF was like a yoyo too playing behind Boykins, and still gets snatched and tongue lashed. Oh , by the way @ the game last night, Earl put up some very difficult and untimely shots in a row,but was left in to LOOK better ! That pass by AJ was waaaaaaay worse than any NY has done all year.

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | January 21, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention CB, MM is burying shots. CB brings defense to him MM wide open, but like he said , he made up his mind to do what he wanted, not what the coach drew up. But again the other leader that gets free passes for running over people trying to drive to basket or dribbling off his foot, hip,knee,head or something all the time. So it looks like # 0 was right on with his assessment about certain folk having there own agendas. Don't sound so far fetched, does it. But it came from a non team guy. RIGHT?

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | January 21, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I was astounded by Caron's last play. And now, knowing that he wasn't even supposed to take that shot, I understand why Flip just turned and left the court. I thought it was odd when I saw it but now it makes sense.

I agree that Nick, Dominic, and JaVale should be getting more playing time, even if it's only a few minutes a quarter. At least give them a chance to show what they can do. However, I don't think it's fair to get down on AJ just because he had one bad night. The guy has been getting double-doubles all year. What's his scoring average? 24, 26 PPG? This is a pretty unforgiving fan base if you turn on him after one bad night.

On a somewhat different subject (sort of), would someone please tell Buckhantz and Chenier to shut the fudge up! Call the game; throw in an interesting stat or tidbit every now and then; other than that, just shut up. There was a play last night where I THINK a Wizard got fouled because play stopped and the Wiz took it out on the side. But those two were babbling about some player from 30-40 years ago so I never learned what had happened. I get so sick of listening to them go on and on about everything except the game being played. Really wish someone would pass the word to them that they should WATCH the game, CALL the game, and avoid going off on their personal side chats.

Posted by: juliagraffam | January 21, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Butler thinks he is #1 option when he is not. He is an a #2 option. Jamison is a #2 option too. There is not a legitimate #1 scoring option on this team without Gilbert.

Posted by: G-Man11 | January 21, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Ted realizes the Wizards organization is like a house with a bad foundation, while the Pollin estate believe Abe when he told the fans this was a good franchise because they made the playoffs a couple of years and have a (superstar?) Gil under contract.

Hopefully the blind followers will finally see what the Abe administration was really all about.

Making Ca$h!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 21, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Article in the NYT about Crit.

Whatever happened to Mike James?

Posted by: midlevex | January 21, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert would have made that last shot.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | January 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert would have made that last shot.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | January 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Unless they fouled him and made him make a couple of free throws?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 21, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan78

wow! you have my sympathy

Posted by: G-Man11 | January 21, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Unless they fouled him and made him make a couple of free throws?

I'd take my chances at the free throw line rather than getting my shot capped at the buzzer.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | January 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Ni it's not just you, bozomoeman. Sometimes Boykins does it but MM and Blatch drive and dish...or at least try.
Every other player who drives on this team shoots. Actually, Gil was doing it, too. Shame he's such a fool.

Sidenote: It's REALLY sad to see no Gil jerseys in the VCenter. Not even fans are wearing them. Next game, I'm wearing mine under my shirt and when the kiss cam comes on me, I'm flashing my '0'. I wouldnt be surprised if they asked me to stop. They'll definitely never put me on the camera again.

Does everyone hate Gil now...even the fans?
I personally think he's stupid but I'd love to see him back on the team to finish out his deal...or at least til its about to expire so we can get value in a trade.

Posted by: original_mark | January 21, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Making Ca$h!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 21, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

"Live in hope, die in despair," my sainted mother always said. Some will never get it bulletsfan78.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 21, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood10, I get the sarcasm.
Foye had 26 with 3...count 'em... 3 assists.

Foye is averaging 16.5ppg, 5 apg, 3rpg as a starter while shooting 46%.

Gil was at 23ppg, 7apg, 4rpg while shooting 41%.

Posted by: original_mark | January 21, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Does everyone hate Gil now...even the fans?

Posted by: original_mark | January 21, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Never liked 'Agent Zero' unless BUCKHANTZ was screaming, "dagger." But I do believe he will play again for the WIZ. That contract ain't going anywhere, and LEONSIS nor any other majority owner or GM with a lick of sense will buy it.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 21, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert would have made that last shot.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | January 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

THAT Gilbert hasn't been here for 2 years. The current Gilbert had a chance to win 2 games in the last seconds and missed them both this year.

Current Gilbert's locker room gun play also seems to have had an adverse effect on team play for some reason.

Posted by: junkmail0153 | January 21, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I need help getting back into the Wizards. Normally, I would have been screaming at Flip for taking Blatche out when he was playing good defense on Dirk. I still would be in disbelief at the way Flip has benched Nick for Steveson. However, now I'm watching the game with no emotional attachment. It's very sad. Anybody got a recommendation on how to get my Wizards groove back.

Also, NBA League pass has another free preview going on. Has anyone notice that the refs never use instance replay. Last night an OKC player kicked the ball out of bounds with 13 seconds left in the game with Minn down by 2. The refs gave the ball to OKC, however, the Minn players made a fuss and the refs had conference and still gave the ball to OKC. They didn't even think to use instance replay. I've seen this happen in a number games this year where the refs could use instance replay to correct a call but they didn't. Only in Wizards games have I seen the refs run to use instance replay. What's up with the that. The NBA needs to come up with better rules governing instance replay.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | January 21, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

CB's decision to ignore the set play and go mano y mano with Marion echoes one of the ongoing problem with the culture on the Wiz. Accountability or the lack thereof that partially led to Arenas' suspension. Players do have to take responsibility but management also has to be willing to bench, fine and suspend them if they don't, even the 111 million star. Gil mostly just skated for his bad behavior; showing up EJ, refusing to play defense, he concluded he could do whatever he wanted.

I think EG has been a reasonably good GM and they don't grow on trees but I suspect he was a facilitator and wonder if he can survive in the front office much longer.

That said what's happened to Mike James, is he dressing for games? Anybody noticed him on the bench? Or is he vending hot dogs in the nose bleed section? Granted he has an expiring contract but he could be trade bait or contributing a few minutes now and then, we're down two guards after all.

Posted by: midlevex | January 21, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I like what GA has been doing to the city schools.I never like his game.I feel like he is good to people but what he did and what he has been done before is not only up to him,I think the team spoiled him.oviously he need to come back to the court.

Posted by: gtefferra | January 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

To play a good game against a division leader who will be a challenging for the Western Conference crown, it was a major letdown to see the way the last shot played out. I learned later that Butler never ran the play that called in the huddle to free up Miller for the final shot. The lack of accountability within the Wiz organization has obviously permeated down through all of the players.

You would expect one of the captains such as Butler to run what the coach had called and not free lance on the last play of the game. The Wiz will never be a good team as long as they play undisciplined, selfish, me-first basketball. With all of the good plays made by Haywood on the defensive end in the last couple of minutes and the clutch 3-point shots by Foye and Miller, it was a sad way to end the game. I won't be sad to see Butler traded as he isn't a 'go to guy' for a top team.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 21, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: junkmail0153 | January 21, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

are you serious. the gun charge has affected team play. i guess CB,AJ, and everyone else were piling up the assts before Gil fractured the locker room with his "prank". An earlier post already spoke to the level of team play on the wiz. Other than Gil the only guys who look to get other guys shots are MM and AB.
This team was damaged two years back when AJ, CB and some of the other vets went off on the youngins in the media. Coincidentally that's also when you started getting to hear all types of reports from inside the locker room (who sits next to who, who's doing what before the game),people getting separated like kids in middle school. I don't know if all that ragging, justified or not, did much for team building. It may have actually helped create the divide between young guys and vets.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 21, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Making Ca$h!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 21, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The man is dead and gone. Do all of us a favor and give it a rest.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 21, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Making Ca$h!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 21, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

aren't all businesses with the exception of non profit organizations?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 21, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

divi3, what is clear to most people who know anything about basketball appears to be lost on you and some of the other Haywood haters up here. BRENDAN HAYWOOD IS NOT AN OFFENSIVE CENTER. Once you all get this concept down maybe you will be able to show the big guy some love. No team is going to sign Haywood to put up 15 shots a game. Frankly, he's an awful offensive player - poor hands, lacks effective go to post move, can't shoot outside of 8 feet. His value is on the defensive end as a shot blocker and rebounder. He also communicates and helps on defense. The Wizards don't run any sets for him and he doesn't get/take enough shots to avg the 15 pts a game you apparently think he should be getting. But I don't doubt that if he played with a true PG, his scoring avg would be higher because he would get it touches in better scoring position. The fact that he avgs almost 10 ppg with his limited offensive skills and the few shots he gets is actually commendable.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 21, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Foye is averaging 16.5ppg, 5 apg, 3rpg as a starter while shooting 46%.

Gil was at 23ppg, 7apg, 4rpg while shooting 41%.

Foye has started what 6 games?
Gil was out 2 years...2 YEARS.
He's gotta work himself back in.
Look at his numbers by month:

November - 18.2ppg 6.2apg 4.1rpg on 36%fg 29%3fg 69%ft

December - 25.2ppg 7.6apg 5.0rpg 43fg% 37%3fg 74%

More importantly...he was looking a little more explosive with more blow by ability...and getting to the rim AND finishing better.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 21, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah.
SDMDTSU, actually my point was that Gil is a better player. Even with the layoff, he was starting to come around.

BTW, has anyone ever seen Mike James and G-Man or G-Wiz in the same room at the same time?

On a serious note, even Mike James could probably get off a better shot than CB in the closing seconds.

Posted by: original_mark | January 21, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"But I don't doubt that if he played with a true PG, his scoring avg would be higher because he would get it touches in better scoring position. The fact that he avgs almost 10 ppg with his limited offensive skills and the few shots he gets is actually commendable."

What's better scoring position than both hands on the ball as it sits on the rim? He blew a putback dunk late in the 4th quarter, Chenier mystified as how it didnt go in.

With the game on the line, you cant put the ball in BTH's hands nor expect that he will score off an offensive board even 2ft away from the basket.

that's too much of a liability for this team and certainly not worth spending $$$ to get him to stay...not that he wants to

Posted by: divi3 | January 21, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

>>I just saw a picture of the arena last night...EMPTY. It's almost sad. Posted by: SDMDTSU

True. We were at the game last night and except for the band were the only peeps in our entire section.

Posted by: dovelevine | January 21, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

...and by 'come around', I mean back to ALL-NBA levels.

Posted by: original_mark | January 21, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Just for kicks, look at the stats for the leading guard all star candidates in the East. They are all ahead of Gil in the voting:

Vince 16.5ppg, 4rpg 3apg, 38%
Allen 14ppg, 3rpg, 4apg, 46%
DWade 27ppg, 5rpg, 6apg, 48%
Ray Allen 16ppg, 3rpg, 3apg, 45%

and point guards...

Rajon 14,4,9 53%
Bibby 9,2,4 42%
Calderon 12,2,6 50%
D Rose 19,4,6 47%

....and now Gil..

23ppg, 4rpg, 7apg 41%

Looks to me like he's the second best pg in the East...coming off a serious injury. If you include DWade as a pg, that makes Gil the 3rd best.

He's an all star.

Posted by: original_mark | January 21, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

The man is dead and gone. Do all of us a favor and give it a rest.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 21, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Even though he is dead, the way he ran the organization will hurt the team for years to come.

aren't all businesses with the exception of non profit organizations?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 21, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Of course they are and I don't have a problem with the man making money, the problem is he put that before winning a championship for 30 years.

Don't you think the Lakers are making money and winning championships?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 21, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Does everyone hate Gil now...even the fans?

Posted by: original_mark
==========================
I guess I agree with you, I don't hate him. The gun incident was stupid and needs seroius attention but not sure if I would give him the boot just like that. Sorry to dissapoint folks but before that I can't say he has done anything that bothers me to that degree.

Posted by: millineumman | January 21, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't you think the Lakers are making money and winning championships?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 21, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

if you're asking me, i don't care about the lakers, if they win or how much money they make. a lot of folks up here trip off the money. get over it.

now, not putting out a good product is definitely a problem with the top of the org. , so i definitely have an issue with some of the FAs, Draft picks, and trades during my wizards viewing career. but i can't just say that he was all bout paper and not winning.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 21, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

What was Butler's take on the play?

“The last play was drawn up either to get myself the ball up top or get somebody coming to the corner. Obviously, I wanted the ball. I kind of had my mind made up what I was going to do with it already. This time, it was good defense.”

Later, Butler was asked what he'd do differently on the play.

“Try to drive it. Stay right. I ended up going back left and got stuck, but just go to the basket and try to put the game in the hands of the referees, get some contact.”

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 21, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Arenas is owed $80million, the team is over the salary cap, wiz payroll is higher than Cuban's Mavs, but Abe put $$$ ahead of winning for decades?

not in these last years he didnt.

Posted by: divi3 | January 21, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | January 21, 2010 3:06 PM

You missed my point entirely. Where did that response come from? No one is going to, nor should they, put the ball in Haywood's hands with the game on the line. Why you address a point I did not make is beyond me. It can only be that you are so blinded by your dislike for the dude that it completely clouds your judgment.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 21, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

" Why you address a point I did not make is beyond me."

What's your point? That Eric Dampier dunking multiple times in the 4th quarter while BTH doesnt pick up A SINGLE FOUL in 37mins is the kind of defense the team cant afford to let walk in the offseason?

What kind of defensive center doesnt pick-up a single foul???

Posted by: divi3 | January 21, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

What kind of defensive center doesnt pick-up a single foul???

One nicknamed Brenda...LOL

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering why no Gil jersey's while watching the game. Ridiculous, this team will surely miss him and he has been the only closer on this team.

Posted by: washwiz | January 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

What kind of defensive center doesnt pick-up a single foul???

Posted by: divi3 | January 21, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse
a 7 foot guy who'd rather take a charge than challeng a shot.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 21, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

i never bought a Gil jersey, but i'm on the hunt now.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 21, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

i never bought a Gil jersey, but i'm on the hunt now.

LOL I know. It's like finding a 4 leaf clover or something...I'm gonna try to track one down.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | January 21, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I'ma get tix behind tha bench and stand the whole game with my agent 0 on .

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | January 21, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

good!

Posted by: washwiz | January 21, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I thought the better team won. The Wiz, I thought, played with good effort. Maybe another time they pull off a victory. So many games in the NBA come down to a play or two at the very end. It's the sort of play Gilbert Arenas used to make, before he got hurt. Now we're hoping someone else can make them.

I know Shawn Marion has been traded a lot, but he sure looks like a good fit with the Mavs. Good offense, good defense -- sure he's a tweener, but he plays bigger.

Hard to complain too much about this iteration of the Wiz and their effort level.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 21, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

"He's an all star.Posted by: original_mark

I don't know about that, but you reinforce the point that Gil's comeback has in many ways been s success. Not many players come back from a two year layoff and jack their game up to that level.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 21, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse