Wizards' statement on Arenas's guilty plea

The Washington Wizards issued the following statement today:

"Gilbert Arenas has been a cornerstone of the Washington Wizards for six years. We are deeply saddened and disappointed in his actions that have led to the events of this afternoon. Gilbert used extremely poor judgment and is ultimately responsible for his own actions."

By Alexa Steele  |  January 15, 2010; 5:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Statement from Arenas's attorney
Next: Bulls 121, Wizards 119

Comments

Word from the "Big House" is that the Warden wanted to make up for the tough loss during the recent "Longest Yard" football game by staging another prison-vs-prison ball game -- but this time, on the hard courts.

To improve his chances, the Warden went to the prosecutors to see if they could bring in a few ringers -- and soon after, Gilbert the Wiz Kid was charged wih felony gun possession.

All was well and good -- and everyone laughed and laughed, because they all knew it was just a joke.

That is, until deviant lifer Chester the Molester decided he wanted to make GA his bunk buddy -- while GA took a dump in Chester's shoes.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 15, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, they called him by his first name the second time? Gil not Mr. Arenas.

Am I reading too much into that?

Hey, we're all legal experts, why not expert linguists too?

Posted by: SteveMG | January 15, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I no longer think of this in terms of the legal issues related to gun possession. To me, it's become all about the pooping in people's shoes.

That's the image I'm afraid will never leave us.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 15, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Translation: Gilbert, see that exit? Say goodbye.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 15, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I love the Wizards's (yes, I said Wizards) response and I think it was released to respond to today's article where Gilby, through an associate, feels that the organization "turned its back on him."

No matter how I try, putting myself in Gilby's shoes, I can't come up with a valid reason how the organization turned their back on him.

Were they supposed to support him with this felony gun charge and his antics afterwards?

The franchise already committed about $165 mil to him....what more does he want or did he expect?

They paid him to play basketball, win games, and win championships.

He in turn, farted around with the rehab of his knee, and brought guns to the VC.

Nevermind the laws of the NBA or DC, I think Abe, if he were alive, would be totally shocked and disgusted by these latest events all caused by Gilby.

Abe might have taken even harsher actions.

Gilby's drama is basically a slap in Abe's face.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: washwiz | January 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow....possible 6-24 months of jail time including probation for a single felony charge vice 4 counts. What a plea agreement.

If the prosecution is recommending this, there's no way a judge could give him Agent Zero jail time.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

correction: merchandise,,,

Posted by: washwiz | January 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

"That's just it, if he's been the cornerstone of the team for the past six years they didnt have to take all evidence of him from the team away, merchanise, program section, video clips, team store merchandize....

Posted by: washwiz | January 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse "

Again, Les BouleS weren't and didn't do this until he started making a joke about it in his tweet account saying he did nothing wrong, and then with his pistol gestures in Philly.

He signed his own death certificate. Death to his career in DC.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

DC_MAN88,

The various reports I have seen and read indicated that his plea agreement was for a single count and indicated a maximum of 6 months time, meaning the judge has the lattitude to give him anywhere from 0 to 6 months (but probably including a lengthy probationary period).

Not sure which reports are right, I guess we find out March 26th.

Posted by: ts35 | January 15, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Impossible is nothing?

Well, you've just been dropped by Adidas after your felony plea.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

"But it does raise an interesting secondary question. Since Gil is likely to get a significant probationary time (at least a year I would think), and since he has clearly had some impulse control issues in the past....how likely do we think it is that he will get through his probation without another goof?

Posted by: ts35 | January 15, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse "

It is possible that he will do the impossible...and that is to f#ck himself.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Abe might have taken even harsher actions.

Gilby's drama is basically a slap in Abe's face.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

So...you want to know how Abe Pollin might react if he were still alive? DC_Man88 suggests Abe would taken "even harsher action." This is utter nonsense.

I don't recall Abe Pollin doing much when Chris Webber was arrested and charged with second-degree assault, resisting arrest, possession of marijuana, driving under the influence of marijuana and five other traffic-related violations after being pulled over for speeding on the way to practice at the then-MCI Center.

I don't recall Abe Pollin doing much when Jerry Stackhouse was charged with assault in a dispute over a rental contract in which, clearly, Stackhouse was in the wrong.

I don't recall Abe Pollin doing much when Juwan Howard and Chris Webber were accused of sexual assault against a woman.

I don't recall Abe Pollin doing much more than a 1-game suspension when Rod Strickland was arrested for a DUI, nor the second time Strickland was arrested, nor the 3rd time he was arrested. Nor do I recall Pollin doing much when Strickland was arrested a 4th time for refusing to leave a night club that was being shut down by fire marshals.

I don't recall Abe Pollin doing much when Andray Blatche was arrested for reckless driving. Nor I do recall Pollin doing much when Blatche was arrested for sexual solicitation. In fact, as I recall, Abe Pollin and the Wizards offered Blatche a new contract shortly thereafter.

And yet we have ignoramus's like DC_Man88 perpetually spreading their absolutely idiotic comments on these boards in an attempt to smear Arenas even further. It's disgusting.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 15, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

And please don't say "oh well the Wizards traded Webber the next year" as if that is the same as not supporting your star player in their time of need, tearing down any mention of them at the arena, and distancing yourself in every way from the guy.

Not to mention how disingenuous it is by the team and simpletons like DC_Man88 is to pretend like the organization would be behaving this way if this incident had come prior to his 3 knee surgeries. If you actually believe the team and league would be reacting this way if Arenas was still in the midst of his 3 All Star appearances, then I suggest you seek professional help.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 15, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

This was reported by Chris Miller of Comcast SportsNet who was in the courtroom.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

"Not sure why I'm even responding to DC_Man88, the Wizards Insider's resident dbag, with the IQ of a toaster. But I guess I'm responding so that the others on here who might read his imbecilic comments and actually believe him.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 15, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse "

Again you prove how stupid you are and that you need to d0uche your brain.

None of your examples correlate with Abe's decision to change the name from Bullets to Wizards after his friend Rabin was shot dead, and none of those examples happened in Abe's house....VC.

Also, none of those dudes acted a fool like Gilby did.

Therefore, continue to STFU b/c you make yourself look even more stupid than anyone thought humanly possible.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

" If you actually believe the team and league would be reacting this way if Arenas was still in the midst of his 3 All Star appearances, then I suggest you seek professional help.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 15, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse "

What you can't grasp is that a felony is a felony....no matter how you try to spin it into only basketball related issue.

Also, you obviously no nothing about Stern b/c most people know that he's a strict disciplinarian with no tolerance for blatant nonsense.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

"The prosecutors are apparently recommending the low end of sentencing for this charge. However, the judge still has the leeway to give Arenas up to 5 years of jail time and so indicated that to Gilbert today.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

It's a good thing that the Wizards are removing everything Gilby at the VC.

If the Wizards were to come out and "support" Gilby, it would totally send the wrong message to kids....that you can break the law, embarrass the company that you work for, and have no consequences for your actions.

Bravo!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

"I think my post blames Ernie for allowing Gil to do this to the team more than the other way around.

Posted by: thinker11 | January 15, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse "

According to the statement above, Gilby is responsible for his own actions....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:23 PM

Yes it is, which could be partly (or mainly) because of his prior charge.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

"It's surprising that even with the plea down, the prosecutors are still recommending 6-24 months.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:23 PM

Yes it is, which could be partly (or mainly) because of his prior charge.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse "

Therefore, no judge with any credibility or even in his right mind would let Gilby walk with only probation.

He's doing time.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thinker11 | January 15, 2010 4:38 PM

I don't think the organization is totally blameless either.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

"Gilbert will be very lucky if he gets off with a 6-month sentence and some community service. He made a very stupid (and illegal) move bringing guns to the VC. None of us really know whether the threat he made to JC was real (or perceived as threatening). Bottom line is that he was lucky to get off as easily as he did because he had a high-priced attorney representing him. It could have been up to 20 years if he was prosecuted and found guilty.

It's time for the Wizards to put this sordid chapter in the team's history in their rear view mirror and start the rebuilding process. As much as I love AJ and Butler, they are our best pieces to acquire some young talent. Removing some of the deadwood like Blatche, Stevenson, and Mike James is equally as important to free up roster spots and cap space.

It's going to be at least 3-5 years before the Wiz can field a competitive team as Haywood, Miller, and Foye will all be gone as FA's after the year as well.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 15, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse "

From packing heat to packing fudge....who would have thought?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

He's doing time.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 8:42 PM

It looks like that could very well happen, unfortunately.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

You thought correctly. Why?

Posted by: p1funk | January 15, 2010 5:06 PM

I was wondering why a lawyer would make something of a defendant not personally making a statement prior to sentencing. You must be a transactional lawyer.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 15, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who feels remorse for a multi-millionaire dope who orchestrated his own demise is a complete sucker.

Please call 1-800-Danskins immediately. Your 2010 season ticket package is waiting....

Posted by: howjensen | January 15, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | January 15, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

"Wizard are done as an NBA team and it will be a long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long time before this team has a wining team or make the playoff. they can fix its but I don,t see it in team management. the fact is the NBA and its player are a lot like Arenas and they will see a team who don,t back its players. none of them will said it but you will not get very many player play for the Wizard unless they have no place to go and you will see play taking less money to play for other teams before coming to this team. I hope not but I been a LIFE LONG BULLETS AND WIZARD FAN and now I for now done with the NBA. these NBA fans just have to much hate for me to be a part of and you can punish and still support. I see that its lost to the NBA and its fans

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | January 15, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse "

Not necessarily.

People thought the franchise was done after Abe fired MJ.

Not so.

If they are able to void Gilby's contract, that would bring them a long way in recovering.

As I've said before, if you believe in conspiracy theories.....Stern may negotiate with Billy Hunter to allow the contract to be voided and reduce any ban time on Gilby.

If Les BouleS can be rid of Gilby with the void, that would increase the value of the team for the sale to Leonsis.

Otherwise, Leonsis would have a lot of leverage in lowballing the price.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but it's still unfortunate.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"BTW, the prosecution is apparently recommending somewhere between 0 to 6 months not 6 to 24 months.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse "

What's the point of recommending 0-6 months?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

What's the point of recommending 0-6 months?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 15, 2010 9:14 PM

Not sure, just heard it on ESPN.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

If the Wizards want to successfully terminate Gil's contract they better hope Stern makes Gil's suspension a matter of games rather than for a season or something crazy like that. One of the reasons the arbitrator gave Sprewell his contract back was because both the team and the league punished him not because Spree's actions didn't violate the "moral turpitude" clause of his contract as many people believe.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 15, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Too much money in GILBERT's contract to convict for a felony.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 15, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Ever since AJ has mixed in the drive, he has literally been a top 5 scorer in this leauge if not better. I use to hate how off the pick & roll he would instantly shoot the long jumper even when a man was right in his face and he was off balance or going away from the basket. I give Flip props for being the person to finally convince him to start mixing in the drive. Now AJ hardly ever takes a bad shot and he is one of the best combinations of inside, outside, and drive in the game. He's basically an unstoppable scorer right now and he's pulling down mad boards with it.

If teams like the Cavs wanted him in the past then I know they are drooling over the thought of adding him now. His mentality even seems different. Did you see when he was getting into it with Maxiel? Maxiel is one of the nastiest dudes in this league and AJ was basically talking to him like he was a little boy and Maxiel basically backed off. He's a beast right now

Posted by: dlts20 | January 15, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Until the status of Arenas - and his contract - is resolved, it seems to me that this team can't make any trades.

Unless, that is, they decide to just level everything and start from scratch. But even then they've got the question of Arena's cap space to consider in the rebuilding process.

If they have to start from zero (or without zero, so to speak) but are also saddled with his salary, that's going to be quite a project.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 15, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

They can still make trades by matching contracts like teams over the cap always can.

BTW, from Washington Post Live today it was stated that even without Gil's contract the Wiz are still over the cap.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

At least until the end of the season when other contracts go off the books.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

perhaps gil feels the wizards let him down because the team knew he had guns in the locker room and said nothing about it before and are now saying they are shocked! shocked! to discover that he was armed. do you really think that he snuck a hefty gun case into his locker through the back door without anybody noticing?

Posted by: rm0659 | January 15, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Butler, Jamison and Haywood having monster games tonight. Wiz up by 1 with 1:38 left. See if they can hang on.

Posted by: ptp23 | January 15, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

According to the courtroom reporting today, Gil apparently brought the guns to VC in a backpack on 21 Dec to then play his "joke" on Crittendon.

When he tried to sneak the guns out of VC afterwards through another player, that is when management somehow found out about them.

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Up 2 with 33 seconds left

Posted by: ptp23 | January 15, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

BUtler has played 46 out of 47.5 minutes so far.

Posted by: ptp23 | January 15, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Jail-bird GIL.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 15, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

tied up 26 secs left.

Posted by: ptp23 | January 15, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz/Bullets franchise isn't necessarily cursed, but not prone to making the right decisions. There have been so many moves that either backfired or brought less results than expected while others around the league cycled through success that those who follow the franchise are barely even fans anymore. I think that the Arenas incident will (once again) set the franchise back a few years, but will enable Leonsis to purchase at a low price like a previous poster wrote and that can only be percieved as a huge positive. While Abe was an owner that embraced the community and would have been supported had he lived another 50 years, it was obvious that he was ok with being mediocre (at best) year after year because he never changed anything drastically except for the team name and the venue. Leonsis has proved through action, not words that building a winning team starts at the core and that's roster composition. Building a squad around Arenas and A Jamison sure looked like a great idea, and the addition of Caron Butler seemed like it would really solidify that happening, but it backfired and the franchise is beyond dire sraits.

It's time for something totally new and that will start with Leonsis' pocketbook and hopefully not Grunfeld's talent evaluation, as Ernie has had an esteemed career, but now looks to be hanging on for a few more checks a la Jim Bowden in MLB. There's some young, dynamic future GM that will/can team with Leonsis to pick the right guys from NCAA, international ball or free agency and make this franchise great now that the Arenas experiment is over. I very much agree with a previous poster who wrote that Gilbert did not take his knee rehab seriously and during that time, there should have been an effort to move the expensive (notice I didn't say overpaid) Arenas. Whatever happened and however Kwame Brown-type players have dotted this teams roster, it already happened and now the city and 'fan' base need to realize that starting from the very bottom is the only way the Wizards will ever get to the top.

In the NBA it's pretty difficult as teams break down and rebuild all the time, and it takes them decades to reach mediocrity. Look at the T-Wolves or the Raptors or the Clippers-when have either of those teams mattered recently? And I mean being championship caliber as a playoff appearance every now and then is more or less worthless. Every few years there's a LeBron or a John Wall or a D Howard at the top of a draft and these kinds of players have the ability to transform franchises, the Wizards need a player like this and then to build up around that player while he's young or else they're doomed to repeat the era of straight stinkage that folks who follow them have been subject to.

Here's hoping it happens

Posted by: Rgertz | January 15, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

boykins turnover with 5 seconds left..here we go again.

Posted by: ptp23 | January 15, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

overtime.. Jammison played 44 minutes, butler 47..they'll have nothing left for overtime.

Posted by: ptp23 | January 15, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like it was just a prank. NOT!!!!The guns were there all the time. NOT!!!!

This was intimidation by GA on JC because he was threatened by takeover at the point position by CRITTENTON?

So GIL's story was just lies and deception? He really intended to impost mental anguish and pressure on CRITTENTON all along?

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 15, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Flip should let Javale jump ball to start the game. Brendan is so slow to react, the Wiz rarely ever win it.

Posted by: ptp23 | January 15, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Well Foye is definitly no Gilber Arenas hes gonna be tough to replace

Posted by: dsquare | January 15, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Butler played almost 56 of 58 minutes.
Jamison played 55 of 58 minutes.
Haywood and Foye played 48 minutes.

If the starters could have hit some free throws and had a *little* help from the bench it wouldn't have been 2OT.

Good God.

Sacramento is gonna wipe the floor with these guys tomorrow night.

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | January 15, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Foye, Caron, and Flip

I watched most of the game on the Chicgao feed and they were clowning Caron all night, basically acting like he was the worst defender in the league. They said the Bulls should give the ball to whoever Caron is guarding on every play and clear out. The sad part was that he was right as Caron looked like garbage on D most of the night and let guys blow right by him.

Foye hit a couple of shots late but most of the time his shot selection sucked. What made me mad is that we were trying to get the ball to AJ on alot of plays but Foye ended up taking it himself every single time and forced up bad shots.

Flip lost the game to me. Rose played great but towards the end of the 4th on it to OT, he didnt make anything on DS. Yet there was one play where Foye got switched on him and he scored. Then on the very last play for the Bulls we come out the TO with DS & Dom on the floor and they let Foye guard Rose? I didnt get it. You put DS on him the whole time and he was locking him down late while Foye looked like Caron on D all game and on the most important play you put Foye on Rose? Some of Flip's decisions down the stretch of games kill us. Then on the other side of the ball he was trying to get the ball to AJ sometimes but alot of the times he made Foye the go to guy like he is Gil. What was that last play? AJ had like 24 shots late in the 4th and finished with 25 shots. Come on now. A coach has to do a better job then that. Then we have Caron & AJ on the floor at the end with Foye missing the last couple of shots and yet Flip basically calls the game winner for Foye to iso? I dont get it

Posted by: dlts20 | January 15, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cannontl | January 15, 2010 10:22 PM |

Huh! Management should have let him sneak the guns whereva' he wanted to take them. Now the Wizards are a part of the coverup that they allowed Arenas to tell.

And for what, to void his contract in which they will not be legally allowed to do because the NBA/CBA adresses felony convictions and it does not call for the voiding of contracts.

And to top it off they are a part of concealing the felony committed by Arenas and David Stern is complicit in the matter and his legalese advised him of such and that is why he suspended Gilbert to coverup the Leagues complicity in cahoots with the Wizards.

Would not it be ironic to see a ambitious minded prosecutor seek conspiracy charges against the Wizards and the League for their initial coverup of the felony committed by Arenas and Arenas is a witness for the Feds.

Holy Cow!!!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 15, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I apologize to CB. I turned it on late. I now think that they were talking about going at Caron because he had 5 fouls

Posted by: dlts20 | January 15, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I am watching this game and saying to myself, they will screw it up. I kept waiting for Flip to pull Haywood out of the game, but he kept him in.

The kept fighting, but Flip puts in Boykins and he did not give it up.

They kept fighting, even though the offense was nail painful to watch.

Then on the last play when Rose scores against Foye, Foye stands back off him and lets him dribble uncontested out on the floor, run the clock down, and then goes into his move and scores an easy basket after taking him into the lane.

That kind of defense stinks to high heaven and has nothing to do with ability. It is not knowing the game and it conceeds the advantage to the offensive player.

As a defender you must not conceed an advantage to the offensive player especially at the end of games.

You must always pressure the ball and to stand back off the player whom has the ball is giving the advantage to him and also giving the game away.

Defense is guts, toughness, stamina, ability, but first of all and most importantly it is intelligence.

Dumb basketball will always destroy great effort.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 15, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

On another I am glad to see Skip To My Lou Rafer Alston with Dwayne Wade and the Heat.

I don't like to see players taken advantage of like Gundy did to him in the playoffs last year just to give Jameer Nelson his job back.

It would be extreme poetic justice if Miami and Rafer kicks Orlando out of the playoffs this year.

Thats how I roll.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Can Ted take over the team yet? This is a perfect time to blow it up & let Leonsis & a capable GM not named Ernie Grunfeld take over...

This has got to be the darkest day in Wizards/Bullets history that I can remember because Gil 2 years ago was more popular than OVIE... After seeing all the coverage, I get it... this is the curse that Tony was talkin' about... If Gil goes to jail which is very plausible, his contract will be terminated & the Wizards will win that situation... but something tells me they will lose for many many years to come...

I'm watchin' replay of washington post live & David Falk stated even with Gil's contract terminated, that the Wiz will still be over the cap... ugh... so we just gotta blow it up & start over... but get young guys... no junk! I heard Ilgauskas for Jamison as a possibility... no way... get someone with future potential...

Might as well settle with Flip Saunders... He is the type of coach that takes a team to the next level... not a coach that is gonna want to teach them & have 30 win seasons... Find a good teacher of the game.

The Wizards & the Clippers... can't buy a break... Gil gone forever & Blake Griffin rookie year lost without a game played...

I never thought it would get to the point where Gil had to plead guilty to a felony where DC is just so tough on guns... I thought misdemeanor & then Gil would be sentenced today which would of forced the NBA/Wizards to give him his punishment but now with sentencing on 3/26 & 6 months possible... looks like Gil is done with the Wizards & I hope the Wiz don't let Ernie off the hook... He's got to go...

Posted by: tony325 | January 16, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

tony325, no contract to be voided.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

f the wiz

Posted by: chinatown | January 16, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

I know Larry... But Latrell Spreewell & S-Jax didn't have to go to jail... If Gil gets 3 months or 6 months during the season at sentencing on 3/26, I think the argument is much more compelling to say ,"hey look our player couldn't even play for us becausse he's in jail!" ... I guess we'll see... If you're right, then there won't be a buyout because the union would try to keep that from happening... I just don't see him playing for Wiz EVER! Something has to give...

Posted by: tony325 | January 16, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88

Mike check, Check 1, Check 2, Check3.

The plea only calls for 6-months or less, but sentencing can be 6-24.

That being said, it's being reported he will get no more than 30-days.

Know you wanted more though.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Tony 326,

True, he will not play for the Wizards again. But, there are some serious legal issues yet to be resolved in the court system and in the NBA.

The Wizards and the League initially conspired to cover up this felony along with Gilbert.

Howver, if the Feds does not pursue the conspiracy charge against the Wizards and the League, it will certainly come up in any arbitration hearing to void Arena's contract.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

So another piece of the puzzle falls into place. If I had to guess, I'd say that the jokey 'challenge' in the note -- to pick one -- played a role in establishing intent and pushing it into the realm of felony. Why anybody would send Arenas to jail for this offense remains beyond me -- it's not like we don't have any real crime in the District. But high profile defendants draw special treatment, and it doesn't always work in their favor, as you can see.

The real action remains in the vicinity of that contract. Still 80 mil owed, and the Wiz seem determined not to pay it. That silly little statement from the team is meant to reinforce a legal position -- to say, 'we treated you well, Gilbert, but you messed up and what happens now is on your head.' Arenas says he doesn't feel supported by the team. That's because they don't support you, Gil. They want their money back. Given the team's performance, can you blame them?

Arenas seems to feel that personally, but it's just business. Companies jump at the chance to rectify big embarrassing mistakes like that contract, by blaming somebody else for it. And in this instance the guy who really is responsible for the blunder is already dead.

When this whole thing popped it looked like the Wiz should unload their best players as quickly as possible. But Antwan Jamison is increasing his value on a nightly basis. You can bet the other clubs are watching and waiting.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 16, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

"Mike check, Check 1, Check 2, Check3.

The plea only calls for 6-months or less, but sentencing can be 6-24.

That being said, it's being reported he will get no more than 30-days.

Know you wanted more though.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse "

Dumbo....Gilby deserves jail time.

Whether he gets it or not, I don't care.

I do care that he's gone from Les BouleS tho.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 16, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse