Crittenton makes first public comments about gun incident

Javaris Crittenton has mostly been silent since his dispute involving guns with Gilbert Arenas, but he finally spoke about the situation and the health of his ankle in a radio interview with his college coach, Paul Hewitt. On the Paul Hewitt Coaches Show on 790 The Zone in Atlanta, Crittenton apologized for his "mistake." Here is the transcript from sportsradiointerviews.com:

What he wants to say to the public about the gun incident: "Just that I am sorry for the incident to all of my fans and all of my family too, all the kids that look up to me. It wasn't good. At this point, just moving forward and having positive thoughts and just working really hard getting ready for next season."

On the brief conversation he had with David Stern expressing his sorrow for what happened and him wanting to move forward: "Yeah that is it. I just want to put this behind me. It was definitely a mistake. A mistake that shouldn't have happened, but you know everything happens for a reason and really opened my eyes and I just want to move forward. Positive thoughts and positive people around me and doing the right thing."

On the health of his ankle: "Probably between eighty and eighty-five percent. It is a little up and down. It is very shocking, I had surgery in October and it is still not healed properly, but the therapist that I am working with out there is really good so hopefully he will have me right soon."

On joking about learning that basketball is a business: "We did joke about that. I had to learn the hard way that this is a business. It really opened my eyes, the first time I was traded. I really was like, wow, this is a business. This is for real. It's not just about basketball. Sometimes those things can be good and sometimes those things can be bad when you know that it is a business because in a way I fell to this sometimes. It is a business and everything is business-minded, it almost makes you lose your love for the game sometimes. It just depends on how you handle it and what type of person you are because of the politics and the way things are handled. You just got to try to do the right thing and just stay right mentally because it is very tough coming into the league at a young age because it is very tough mentally. You have to be able to be mentally tough because everything is not handed to you when you step into the league."

On having a close connection to young guys coming out of college and how devastating it could be for a young guy to not be successful in the NBA: "It definitely can. It is a big decision that people make with their lives. They came out one year and having a lot of success and people go through ups and downs. That doesn't mean though it is an end for them or their career wont be as great as the next person and it is all about time. Sometimes God takes different people through different situations and to just humble you. Later on you reap those benefits of your hard work and you gain that success."

By Michael Lee  |  February 26, 2010; 1:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kenny, Charles "welcome back" Caron to NBA
Next: Wizards sign Shaun Livingston

Comments

Who cares. Him and Gilberts shannanigans have embarassed this franchsie and made us the butt of jokes all across the nation. I hope his behind is shipped out of here too and I can't say I am too happy they are contemplating keeping Gilbert who is a bad influence on young players. Unless Gilbert comes back as a mature man, they can ship his behind out too. This from someone who at one time was Gilberts biggest supporter.

Posted by: ivyleague | February 26, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Crit has learned a big-time lesson from this, and will be able to move forward. Not sure if it will be with the Wiz, or even in the NBA for a few years. But if not, he can definitely go overseas and develop his game and come back. He has athletic ability and some PG skills, but he needs to work on running a offense and his jumper.

Side note: Looks like the Wiz have signed Shaun Livingston as we continue to try to corner the market on guys from 6'6" - 6'8".

Posted by: ts35 | February 26, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Wizards Sign Guard Shaun Livingston

Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld announced today that the team has signed guard Shaun Livingston to a ten-day contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not announced.

A former “Mr. Basketball” in Illinois (2003-04), Livingston led Peoria Central High (Peoria, IL) to Class AA state titles in 2003 and 2004 before jumping straight to the NBA as the L.A. Clippers’ first-round pick (fourth overall) in the 2004 NBA Draft. Livingston has appeared in 167 games (61 starts) in parts of five seasons in the NBA, compiling career averages of 6.9 points, 3.0 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game. He most recently appeared in 10 games this season for the Oklahoma City Thunder and also played briefly for the NBA D-League’s Tulsa 66ers in 2008-09. Livingston was enjoying his best professional season as a member of the Clippers in 2006-07 (9.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.1 apg, .463 fg% in 29.8 mpg) before sustaining a season-ending knee injury on February 26 that kept him out of action for the duration of the 2007-08 season.

Posted by: ts35 | February 26, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Livingston was on his way to becoming a pretty good guard. Very tall for a point.
I remember watching the replay of his patella dislocation...not a pretty sight.

But at least he's a point guard...

Posted by: bozomoeman | February 26, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he was next in line (after Penny Hardaway I think) of the guys who were going to be the 'next' Magic.

Not sure how he fits into the puzzle. While we do need help in the backcourt, the other night it also felt like we could use another big body.

Posted by: ts35 | February 26, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Licvingston can take the place of Earl "The Dribbler" Boykins. I seem to remember good things about him.

Posted by: ivyleague | February 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Good to see about Livingston...maybe it will pan out and maybe not. Now is the time to be taking these kind of no-risk chances.

Crit makes me laugh - "Just that I am sorry for the incident to all of my fans and all of my family too, all the kids that look up to me." - The kids would have to know your name before they could look up to you. I'd say that before "the gun incident" 99.9999% of america had no idea who this guy was, 90% of the average NBA broadcast audience had no idea who he was. 19% of Wizards fans had no idea who he was and 9% of the NBA had no idea who he was.

Posted by: Blurred | February 26, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"Crit makes me laugh - "Just that I am sorry for the incident to all of my fans and all of my family too, all the kids that look up to me." - The kids would have to know your name before they could look up to you."

Maybe he just meant by height =)

Posted by: ts35 | February 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I remember the stone hands in the post. I remember the bungled free throws.
and the Wizards absolutely fell apart last year when he was basically the one variable that changed from the season before when we were at least mediocre.
Posted by: VeCente115 | February 26, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Yes I edited this down to only the parts i had issue with.

You remember stone hands and bungled FTs from how long ago? a month ago, right?

And if Haywood not being in the lineup was the sole reason the team sucked so bad last year, wouldn't that have been rectified when he returned?

Posted by: Blurred | February 26, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd be shocked to see Javaris playing for an NBA team next season.

Posted by: blackman1 | February 26, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Critt's ankle sounds chronically bad, sucks for him.

Posted by: divi3 | February 26, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Since Shaun Livingston has already suffered a catastophic knee injury before, he might just stay healthy in his stint with the hard-luck Wizards.

I'm happy that the Wizards have recognized that they need a point guard as Foye and Boykins do not measure up (no pun intended).

Posted by: Firuz1 | February 26, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Alright...I'm out of here. Hope to see a good game tonight with lots of hustle and hard work. Don't really care if we win or not as long as we play hard and correctly. But I'd love to see a win, nonetheless.

Posted by: Blurred | February 26, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to think if we play hard and correctly we will win!

Posted by: divi3 | February 26, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if poor Critt is getting unemployment checks? Hopefully this guy never plays another minute for the Wizards and enjoys Europe.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | February 26, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Don't think Livingston is a pass-first pg. I agree with one other poster that he was hailed as next penny.

Posted by: sagaliba | February 26, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Uh, what happens to the "rotational big man?"

Posted by: sagaliba | February 26, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Crittenton has what it takes to play point guard in the NBA. Anyone who watched him play last year could see that. Sad the way things went down this year, but as long as he can get his ankle right, he'll get another chance in the NBA. Guy is lightning fast, great dribbler, distributor, and above average at penetrating the lane. He needs to work on his jump shot, which as of last year was almost non-existent.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 26, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | February 26, 2010 2:36 PM

Now that's funny!
I think they are trying to audition players for next season, and are trying to put together a team that will be quick, will run and jump for 48 minutes.

Re. Mike James being paid to sit on his couch. I believe the Wizards are paying/have paid something like $12.5M to make people go away or stay home. That includes paying half of Arenas & Crittenton's remainder of their salaries ($4.35M)after being suspended. They are paying that to the NBA.
Mike James is $3.2M, Ilgauskas was $5M. Unfortunately on top of that there's Josh Howard's $4.5M because he's injured, and there you go $17M unproductive.
Does that explain why Grunfeld's face is in a persistent scowl?

Posted by: rickgonz | February 26, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

If any of the players pan out...besides Dray and McGee....I would hope that Livingston does. A true PG with that size and combo of skill...RARE.

If Gil comes back, it's the big guard we need to let run the offense and allow Gil to play the 2.

One can dream.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 26, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Crittendon is not an NBA calibre Guard, period. We must have short memories from watching this guy play last year. He gave zero indication that he had NBA ability and could lead a team at the point. Ugly jumper, turnovers and a complete lack of that star quality that any follower of the game recognizes, even in very young players like him.

Good luck Javaris, elsewhere. Another below average Player brought in by Grunfeld.

Posted by: jshavatt | February 26, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse