Ewing would like a head coaching gig

Magic assistant and former Georgetown star Patrick Ewing is still hoping for the opportunity to become an NBA head coach, something that he never pondered during his glory days with the New York Knicks.

"Never," Ewing said. "If you asked me that question when I was playing, I would've said, 'Hell no.' "

But Ewing's attitude toward coaching changed when Michael Jordan asked him to join the Wizards' staff as an assistant before the 2002-03 season. He has since gone on to work in Houston and Orlando, where he has helped Dwight Howard blossom into a first-team all-NBA center. Ewing has worked with agent David Falk for the past 25 years, but since Falk cannot represent players and coaches, Ewing recently hired agent Lonnie Cooper to help him land a gig.

"Why do something if you don't strive to be the best at it, the best you can possibly be at it, and also, to get the head position?" Ewing said. "I think I'm still young. I still have a lot of years to go and I just try to improve and learn every year, with hopes that one day I have to the opportunity to get my own team."

I asked Ewing if he felt that general managers have a bias against hiring former centers as head coaches. "That's what they say," Ewing said. "But one thing I said when I came here was that didn't want to be pigeonholed. Even though I did play the center position, and I work with Dwight, I'm a coach. I'm a coach, just like any other coach. I just want an opportunity to prove myself."

Brendan Haywood, who wears the No. 33 because he grew up a fan of Ewing, said that working with him for one season in Washington helped him immensely. "He would go through post moves together and things we needed to do," Haywood said. "He showed me what it meant to be a pro, as far as getting in early, getting your work done, doing things the right way, being professional. I think a lot of young guys don't quite grasp that. That's one of the things he talked to me about, and that's being professional, because he's from the old school NBA. If you're a young guy and you wasn't getting it done, they frowned upon that."

Ewing said that at times, when he worked with Haywood and Etan Thomas, he didn't know if they were always paying attention. "Sometimes, they acted like they weren't listening, then during the game, and practices, you see they are doing it that's gratifying."

Haywood added that he believes Ewing deserves a shot. "He has the passion. He has the desire for it. He knows a lot about the game. You put it all together and you've got a great head coach."

By Michael Lee  |  February 5, 2010; 8:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards preparing for "snowpocalypse"
Next: With trade rumors swirling, Butler has best game

Comments

Cut Boykins

I'd rather have Dee Brown running point, Donnell Taylor even

Posted by: DMoney28 | February 5, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Ewing for Saunders. I'll go for that.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 5, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

larry,

we have wes unseld jr as our big man coach and look what a great job he has done with bth, jm, and ab?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 5, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Superstar players make lousy coaches.

Can't relate to the ordinary players.

I'll say again: on the list of problems with this franchise, Flip Saunders is about problem #12.

Yes, he's a, at-best, average coach and he's got nothing out of this squad.

Red Auerbach couldn't get much out of this squad. To be sure, he'd make moves to get a better squad but he couldn't do much with this current roster. Maybe 3-4 more win? 5?

Posted by: SteveMG | February 5, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Just read on ESPN insider that we have been talking to the Mavs about Butler and Stevenson for Josh Howard and a throw in player

Posted by: DMoney28 | February 5, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah 78, but I wonder why Haywood slighted Unseld Jr. when he talked of Ewings influence. HaHa!

SteveMG, you don't give coaching much credit. No wonder a lot of you just blame the players.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 5, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I give coaching responsibility when they can't get talented players to play.

This team doesn't have talented players. They've got one-dimensional types who, if they're not scoring, are absolutely killing you otherwise.

If you think a top flight coach could get more than 4-5 extra wins out of this roster, well you're welcome to that view.

It's just not mine.

The NBA isn't college. The players motivate themselves at this level.

Or don't.

Posted by: SteveMG | February 5, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

That had nothing to do with skill but intelligence. Don't leave the man you are guarding especially if he is a three point shooter.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 5, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Caron for MVP!

Posted by: ptp23 | February 5, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Big game by Caron should help him get out of here.

Posted by: ptp23 | February 5, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

CB this time hit it well.Wow, i do not understand how they managed to score 39 point in the 3rd.what a come back. foye 22, 7 board and 7 assists.
I have no problem to sell CB for rebuilding purpose but not for JH, what is the advantage?
as i said before no rash to trade CB, we will get a good 1st round pick next season.

Posted by: gtefferra | February 5, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Howard gets 18 rebounds, but the Wiz out rebound Orlando 52-41.

The Wiz out shoot Orlando also, 43% to 38.6%. I did not see the game but after the 1st quarter the Wiz must have played some "D."

Good win for the Wiz and their underrated coach (at least on this board).

Posted by: cannontl | February 5, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

This team doesn't have talented players SteveMG?

Do you really mean that? Or is it, they don't have the talent that you would like to see in a Team?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 5, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

They simply have too many one-dimensional talented players.

If they're not scoring, they're hurting you. If Young isn't scoring, he disappears. Same for Blatche. Et cetera, et cetera.

Posted by: SteveMG | February 5, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

A few comments on tonight's game:

1) I hope Foye's performance helps a few more people see the potential I see in him. He is not a pure PG, never will be, but he is a talented combo guard who can do some things when paired w/players who help move the ball. He'll even get good assist numbers that way. 22pts, 7 ast, and 7 rbs aren't bad. Plus, he was the one that set the pick for CB to get the inbounds on the game winner.

2) I really hope Caron realizes that Flip likes to play to the good match-ups and he will keep feeding Caron the ball when the match-ups dictate it. I'll take CB guarded by Vincanity, anyday.

3) How shocking is it to see the Wiz hold anyone to under 40% shooting? On the flipside, how not-surprising was it to see the man AJ was guarding get open for three? But, I do understand why Flip did not sub for him there. Up 2pts you don't want to make a stop only to have McGuire get fouled and have to make huge free throws.

4) Speaking of free throws...Just my personal pet peeve. Just once I'd like to see NBA refs call a Technical when opponents make contact w/the free throw shooter as they try to psych them out. I've refereed before, that's a big no-no. People always remember Pippen messing w/Mailman's head, but he just talked in his ear, no contact. Barnes actually hit Foye's legs to knock him off the line and then, talked trash. That's just too much.

To reiterate, I'm fine w/the gamesmanship, but please draw the line somewhere. These refs waited until the second time Barnes walked up to him to FINALLY give him a just a WARNING. One of these days, guys need to go back to being subtle instead of making sure the camera sees it.

Posted by: SportzWiz | February 5, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

"Cut Boykins. I'd rather have Dee Brown running point, Donnell Taylor even"Posted by: DMoney28

Why bother? You'll just be complaining about them within a week or two.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 5, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I’ll be back in the DC area around April once the snow is gone just in time to see them make that final playoff push?

My guess is they won’t make any major trades and Ernie will tell Flip to play CB and AJ 40 minutes a night, hoping to sneak into the 7th or 8th playoff spot, so they can try to save their jobs.

Of course they won’t, which means they’ll end up with the 10th or 11th pick in the draft?

I’m sure the new owner will be thrilled with the mess he is buying?

I am one fan who is willing to support the new owner (whoever he or she is, unless it’s Irene) as long as Ernie gets his walking papers and the new owner shows a commitment to winning a championship.

I fully understand it will take at least 5 years to fix the problems and change the attitude of the organization after the way Abe and Ernie have run things.

Adios en vaya con dios

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 6, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

That might be true, but I think it's interesting to compare the roster to the roster they had 2 years ago, when they won 43 games without Gilbert:

Posted by: joe_sill | February 6, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

"Among players who have played significant minutes, they've lost Songaila, Daniels, and Mason off that team and replaced them with Mike Miller, Randy Foye, and Earl Boykins. Right now, they are on a pace for about 28 wins. Does the 2008 roster really look 15 wins better than this year's roster?Posted by: joe_sill"

This is something I've wondered. Not just about the Wiz, but about the Nets, who the past two seasons won 34. And to a lesser extent about the Clips, who last year seemed way more talented than the injury-riddled Washington club, and yet finished as poorly.

I have to wonder if it's not about the psychological inertia of losing. They play poorly, the fans boo, and at some point people start to give up. If you read this blog, you'd have to come away with the impression that guys like Jamison, Butler and Haywood shouldn't even be allowed on the court. Yet other teams clearly value them -- not that they want it known how much.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Samson151. It's about the mentality of losing last year. They haven't been able to shake that. A direct comparison between the 08 and 10 rosters doesn't yield you much. In 08, you have Roger Mason, who is just an all around good guy and had a breakthrough year, Antonio Daniels who attacked the rim every play he could, and Darius Songaila, who doesn't have much NBA talent, but played his heart out every night. In 10, you have Mike Miller, who has provided a spark at times, Earl Boykins ditto, and Randy Foye, who at times has looked like the only Wizard who's cared about the outcome of games. It's everything that happened in the year in between. Starting Dee Brown, and not giving players such as McGee sufficient minutes to progress. Really all of this goes back to 08-09.

Posted by: NWDC3 | February 7, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse