Jamison fined for missing practice

Antawn Jamison was fined an undisclosed sum of money for missing the Wizards' practice in Orlando on Monday. Jamison was granted permission to attend the Super Bowl in Miami on Sunday, but he said he was unable to make his commercial flight into Orlando.

He said that when he originally planned to go to Miami nearly two months ago, he had booked a private jet out of Washington, but with the blizzard keeping the team in Orlando over the weekend, he bought a commercial round trip-ticket. But he said he got caught up with the rest of the Super Bowl revelers at the airport Monday morning and couldn't catch his early morning flight.

"It was crazy," Jamison said after the Wizards' morning walkthrough at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte. "I thought everything was going to go smoothly. But it was a lot of people. It was hard getting out on time and on schedule. I wasn't fortunate to get back in time."

Jamison wouldn't say how much he was fined, but when I asked, he smiled and said, "They got me."

He joked that with the experience he had watching the New Orleans Saints win the Super Bowl, the fine may have been worth it. "It was great. I had a nice little suite. Enjoyed it. Saw a good game," he said.

Jamison is a native of Louisiana but said he had no rooting interest before he arrived in Miami. That quickly changed once the game began. "You kind of wanted them to win. The suite I was in, it was nothing but Saints fans. And they partied like crazy," Jamison said. "They was tore up before the game started. But it just brought me back to my roots and stuff like that. We had a good time. It was a great game, great atmosphere. Unfortunately, I missed the flight and missed practice, but glad I got the opportunity to go and mentally get away for about 24 hours."

By Michael Lee  |  February 9, 2010; 1:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards face Bobcats tonight
Next: Latest trade talk: Jamison staying?

Comments

well, there you have it! He had to be fined just to be consistant with how they treat the whole "Team" He's still cool peeps though.

Posted by: millineumman | February 9, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Fined! What bullsh@t! Void the motherf*&$er's contract! Flight-missing b*&ch!

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 9, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

If this has been Nick Young, Andray Blatche or Javale McGee, I'd have been screaming "See! See! No work ethic! No Commitment!"

I'll admit its a bit of a double standard, but I'm willing to give AJ this one, given his overall professionalism and all that he's endured without complaint over the past couple seasons, as long as they give him the same fine anyone else would have gotten. In fact, his clear understanding and acceptance of the fine reinforces my believe.

Posted by: kmg27 | February 9, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

^^ Lawd, Have Mercy!!

Posted by: tgif11 | February 9, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, lets hope so Goelez, that would be a coaching technique long overdue here.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 9, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I might have been quick with my judgement as well, Larry, but never say never...

Although we are still talking here about the wizards though.

Posted by: Goelez | February 9, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Way to lead em AJ

Posted by: DMcdonkerton | February 9, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Does it really matter to miss a practice for the last game before you are traded?

Posted by: jefferu | February 9, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I give Jamison a pass on this one, it is clear that he was mission to see what physicality and defense was all about. I am sure he will be a defensive stopper tonight!

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | February 9, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

a real leader would have had the whole team over to the SB suite and transplanted a different set of hands on BTH in-between stretching Boykins out to 6'4" on a rack during commercial breaks

Posted by: divi3 | February 9, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Well deserved vacation Antwan. He took ownership with what happened, didnt complain about the fine...

Let's beat the bobcats 2nite...

Posted by: kevenjones | February 9, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

kalorama's trolling is infinitely better when he keeps it under a paragraph.

Congratulations, I actually read that post!

Posted by: bryc3 | February 9, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Blow me jackweed.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 9, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

That one was under a paragraph. How'd you like it?

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 9, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

yawn

Posted by: bryc3 | February 9, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

...and mentally get away for about 24 hours."

The way you play "D" you are mentally away half of every game?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 9, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

For all we know Ernie's fine could be $1.00?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 9, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me why Jamison is still on the Wizards roster?

This team is constipated.

The trade deadline is approaching and the team has 3-4 players that could be moved and yet Grunfeld is sitting on his hands waiting for the Lakers to offer up Kobe Bryant for Randy Foye..................

Posted by: leopard09 | February 9, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

The way you play "D" you are mentally away half of every game?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 9, 2010 2:25 PM

Half?? You're far too kind, sir!!

Posted by: tgif11 | February 9, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

a real leader would have had the whole team over to the SB suite

Posted by: divi3 | February 9, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

There have been a lot of Quarterbacks who buy each of their offesive lineman a Rolex for making them look good.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 9, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

...he had booked a private jet out of Washington, but with the blizzard keeping the team in Orlando over the weekend, he bought a commercial round trip-ticket.

I doubt the fine is anywhere near the amount he saved going commercial versus booking a private flight.

If Flip had any Ball$ he would start AB tonight...but we all know Flip is just like Kal and Ken in that department.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 9, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78

Nobody's play on this team makes AJ look good, unless of course you mean they play so poorly that he looks better in comparison....considering they arent doing that on purpose I dont see where he should buy them rolexes for it

Posted by: divi3 | February 9, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

When your most mature and professional team leader and captain checks out and say f-it -- you know your team is totally baked. It's not about who the Wiz should trade - it's about who on the team is even worth keeping? Of course I don't want this to happen, but if the Wiz team plane went down and they had to start from scratch with some kind of expansion type draft and get extra draft picks they might actually be better off. Again, to be clear, I'm not saying that I want any harm to come to any of the players.

Posted by: thinker11 | February 9, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Too much B. S. going on with these pro teams...Stevenson stay at his house, sleeping in his bed and driving his car...remember Sean Taylor a couple of years ago and they still haven't learned.
Stevenson need to stay home by the way he is "playing" and Jamison need to concentrate on basketball...not football.... but they make too much money and do stupid stuff. Way to go leader with one of the BIGGEST smiles when Gilbert pointed his fingers in Philly. All pro sports leagues are full of B.S. and too much loot to spent on ignorance!!!!!

Posted by: gman54 | February 9, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me why Jamison is still on the Wizards roster?

This team is constipated.

Posted by: leopard09 | February 9, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Ummmmm...because that is the way it works. During the season, like 3 trades happen every year up until a week before the trade deadline and all the rest happen in that week. the GMs play a little game of chicken to see who is more desperate.

Posted by: Blurred | February 9, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I am just pissed Jamison missed a chance to finally teach Haywood how to hang on to the ball.

Dang. Now we'll never win.

Posted by: Blurred | February 9, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

That dog won't hunt. Rental cars are available and its only about 4 to 5 hours from Miami to Orlando. I know, I've driven it a few times.

Posted by: ritchievinson | February 9, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

jim zorn, i mean flip there he go again. its like how the redskins treats clinton portis when he gets in trouble or says something. the punishment is more than a slap on the wrist. flipper would have benched nick young or put him in a dnp. i can't write enough words how bad this coach is.

Posted by: taeyyenom | February 9, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

You miss practice, you get fined. Rules were followed. My ONLY "gripe" -- the game was good so the fine may have been worth it... *tsk, tsk, tsk*

At this point, no matter what ANY Wizard (player, coach, mgmt) does, it will be the wrong thing.....

Posted by: 2StepsAway | February 9, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse