Poll: Legacy of the Big Three?

Last night's trade of Antawn Jamison to the Cleveland Cavaliers marked the end of an era in Washington. The team had been built around three players -- Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler and Jamison -- who became all-stars and usually made the playoffs.

By Alexa Steele  |  February 18, 2010; 12:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jamison "ecstatic" about move to Cleveland
Next: NBA trade deadline update

Comments

Anyone know what Horford's contract looks like. Is he a half season rent-a-player or is he under contract beyond this season?

Posted by: HokiePaul | February 18, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I appreciated the "Three". It was great getting to the playoffs and there was suspense in that it felt like we could win at least those first and maybe even the second round series. But then it seemed like Ernie thought thats was all they needed. They needed to add size and toughness. A player with just enough offensive competance. Not a Michael Ruffin type. We all know good big men don't grow on trees, but over a five or six year period I did not like his effort in acknowledging and trying to build around our weaknesses.

Posted by: millineumman | February 18, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone know what Horford's contract looks like. "

Like something that will never be wearing a Wizards' uniform.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I will miss Jamison...for about 10 minutes. Even though he was one of my favorite players, I know this team was going nowhere, so why keep him.

Glad to see that McGee exceeded haywoods averages in about 2/3 of Haywood's playing time. Hopefully they won't plop big Z in there and instead will let Mcgee work it out.

33 for Blatche is great. I hope he can gain some consistency. 33 one night doesn't mean much if you hit 5 the next.

24 assists is nice too.

I'd rather watch a bunch of young guys playing hungry than established stars playing 3/4 of a game anyhow. It looks like Singleton and Howard have come to play.

plus, the 'new' Wizards are 1 and 0.

Wish we got a few more draft picks for our players though. Then again, it is obvious that EG hates the draft.

I'll watch this team for the effort and hope we get some upgrades this summer.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 12:31 PM

agree 100%

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The fact is the "Big 3" brought some measure of success to this team. They got us fans to the point where a first round exit in the playoffs was no longer good enough. Unfortunately, they didn't accomplish the ultimate goal.

Posted by: tundey | February 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"@Blurred: Are you seriously comparing McGee's totals in 1 game to Haywood's averages over a season? Are you kidding me?!"

In 9yrs, haywood had 3 double-double's when playing under 25mins....Mcgee already has 2 when playing less than 25min.

Mcgee is going to be a huge upgrade over BTH, wait and see.

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | February 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes. But more precisely, I am comparing his one game to Haywood's career averages.

Just saying a 21 YO that can play like that is worth more than a 31 YO that only plays hard in contract years.

I know...its only one game, but it is the only game this season he got to play any real minutes. Lets see how he rolls.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

McGee could be a very good player if he ever actually learns how to play. Playing on a going nowhere lottery team may be the worst thing for a guy like him. Putting up nice numbers in long minutes in meaningless games can serve to reinforce the idea that flying around freewheelin' is all he needs to do, undermining the idea that he needs to play with more discipline to really develop.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Just saw the first half-replay of last night's game.

HOWARD looked solid. An all round game at least for one half of basketball.

ROSS hasn't seen a shot he didn't like. I think he touched the ball seven times, and had two passes, zero assists. The line score in the paper this morning said he went 1-2 both from the floor and the free-throw line for three points. I have him 1-5 in the first half from the floor. Don't know what's up with that.

SINGLETON seems a good player off the first blush. Passes fairly well, good energy around the basket.

As the old ZEN-master said in CHARLIE WILSON's WAR.........we'll see as far as the newbies go.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 18, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Wish we got a few more draft picks for our players though.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Me, too. The problem is, though, that you're not going to get top value for your players when everyone knows that you're cleaning house. Given that factor, I thought EG did OK in the Jamison trade, getting a large expiring contract, a young player with some upside and a first-rounder (albeit a late one) in exchange for an offensively-productive but aging player who wasn't going to make a difference here.

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 18, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The FACT is that the "Big 3" didn't get it done!!! Time to move on!!!

Posted by: chicoexcell | February 18, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The big three brought some fun times back to DC. The series against Chicago and the Cleveland series come to mind. I thought that they relied on the big three too much. They needed some of their younger players to step up and contribute more but it never happened. It would have given them more of a complete team.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | February 18, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

OBERTO had a good first half in limited minutes. He moved his feet, blocked some shots, rebounded well, and came with some good defense. A couple of breakdowns on the dribbler when the WOLVES got him in space, but MILLER and later BLATCHE rotated over well to cut off the driver. Right now I'd say they're a lower third tier, or top fourth tier team with potential to move up to an upper third-tier club. Let's see what Z and THORNTON can bring to the dance.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 18, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

And assuming they can coach.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I saw in the "Insider" that Gooden will not request to be bought out by the Clips. WTF? I wonder why the Clippers gave up on Thornton though?

Posted by: thecomedian1 | February 18, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

you could tell javale was conscious of trying to stay on his feet for pump fakes so as not to pick up cheap fouls, it seems that prior to last night he was always trying to play 35 mins in the span of 8 b/c he knew the pt wasn't coming, the man has unlimited physical talent but certainly needs to do any and everything he can to play smarter and maximize his gifts, by the way give that man some steak on the reg

Posted by: bford1kb | February 18, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Gil! From 3 All Stars and playoffs to 'Re-Building".

Posted by: porcelainproductions | February 18, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey G! Congrats on your spiders making top 25. they are looking good!

Rams are kind of confusing me. I think Larry Sanders has mentally checked out a bit. Been reading too many draft stories having him go 11th or whatever.

As far as Z goes, I hope we keep Mcgee starting and brign Z in for 15-20 minutes. I honestly don't care if we win another game this season. I want to see our players develop or at least figure out whther they can be developed.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"I think mcgee looks confused at times, which is something the coaches should be able to change now that he's the starter- unless he has rocks for brains."

Why does he need to be a starter in order to stop being confused? The game is played the same way, whether you start or come off the bench. The stuff he needs to figure out now is the same stuff he needed to figure out over the last 1 1/2 years and hasn't.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

McGee could be a very good player if he ever actually learns how to play.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the new GM will not take your and Ernie's view of "letting the player develop on their own?" and who ever the new GM is will bring in a good big man coach who will mentor the young guy.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

arent the reports Z is being bought out? I thought the intent of the deal was for him to never play here and just re-up with the Cavs after 30days.

I dont want to see him in a Wiz uni, next thing you know Mcgee will be launching 3s

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thecomedian1

The Clippers give up on everyone.

Posted by: richs91 | February 18, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Who going to teach him what he needs to learn; Sam Cassel or Wes Unseld Jr?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Not when you're in some bizarro world doghouse where every minute played could be your last for the next month. Just telling him "You are the starter and are going to play 25-30mins every night" could very well have a positive impact on his game.

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I think the rap on Thornton in Clip City was simlar to that on Butler at the end here. Ball stops. Player shoots and may even score... but at low efficiency.

I watched Singleton play in Europe and I like him, hope has a good run with the Wizzies.

I will miss the former Big-3 plus BTH because they did bring some excitement and success to the franchise, even if they were well short of the big prize. I hope Antawn gets his ring even if he has to do it with Le Crab.

I hope that 7-day Dray keeps it up, if only to vindicate Ernie a little.

This is going to be an interesting rebuild and I do not think it will be as ugly as Michael Wilbon suggested in his column today. Not saying it will be easy or that we will make the playoffs the next year or two, but by 2012-13 things could be turned around. We shall see.

Posted by: khrabb | February 18, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Who going to teach him what he needs to learn; Sam Cassel or Wes Unseld Jr?

Posted by: bulletsfan78

who taught KG how to play in Minnesota?

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thecomedian1

I am out here in San Diego because living in DC sucks during the winter time.

I'm sure that's the real reason Gooden didn't want to stay with the Wizards.

Maybe BTH told him that the Wizard organization don't appreciate big men since they refuse to hire a big man coach?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"I am out here in San Diego because living in DC sucks during the winter time."

In other words, you're fairweather?

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

McGee justs needs to blend his enthusiasm and athleticism with a few grains of intelligence and situational awareness and he'll be just fine. I really think he's going to be pleasant surprise for us all in a season or two.

Posted by: artiesliver | February 18, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"agree 100%"

Same.

"McGee could be a very good player if he ever actually learns how to play."

Oh no, I agree with Kalo....

McGee needs to learn fundemantals, how to set picks, ect..

We'll see how he does in the next several games.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 18, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if Mcgee will ever amount or not, but there is no way to tell if he is stuck on the bench.

He CAN only learn to read the other team and make adjustments with time in actual games.

A good coach can help.

What about Otis Thorpe or Popeye or OakTree?

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"McGee justs needs to blend his enthusiasm and athleticism with a few grains of intelligence and situational awareness and he'll be just fine."

As the other poster said, I think we saw a little of that last night with some slightly more subdued play so as not to foul out. And while I agree fully he spazs too much- gotta love 5 blocks in 23mins!

These trades give me a reason to keep going to the games, I'm going to enjoy watching AB and JM play tons of minutes and see what happens.

Unfortunately Howard and Thronton are chuckers extraordinaire- Flip best temper that

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

who taught KG how to play in Minnesota?

Posted by: divi3

Kevin McHale.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 18, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

How is Howard a "chucker"? He shoots 45% overall and 34% from 3 pt range for his career, Not top tier, but hardly Allen Iverson-like machine gunning. His numbers have been down this season, but a lot of that is due to inconsistent PT and injuries.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Since Butler and Jamison (and hopefully soon Arenas) aren't here anymore, is it possible people can stop referring to them as "The Big Three".

From what I know the only "Big Three" were McHale, Bird, and Parrish. To call Butler, Arenas, and Jamison "The Big Three" is like Dwight Howard ripping off the Superman shtick from Shaq.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 18, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

If Jerry Colangelo invited McGee to work out with USA Basketball last summer then that's all I need to know.

Jerry Colangelo
4-time NBA executive of the year
member of Hall of Fame

Do you think Brenda's invite got lost in the mail?

Posted by: elfreako | February 18, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

i meant he takes a lot of shots, and in this situation he may see an opportunity to be the team's #1 option and bombs away

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

A good coach can help.

What about Otis Thorpe or Popeye or OakTree?

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I like Thorpe over Oakley or Popeye they need to bring in an athletic big man coach that fits McGee's style and not try to turn him into someone he's not.

Signing Camby next year if he would come here would be a great back up and mentor.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

It's not about how many you take, it's about how many you make.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Ewing is still sniffing around for a job, he'd be a great coach for Mcgee. Personally I think JM needs an offensive minded mentor to teach him some go-to moves. Hakeem takes students doesnt he? Sounds far fetched, but hey, surely it's worth the $$$ to have your young Big workout with the Dream a few weeks over the summer

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Knicks get McGrady from Houston.

Lebron, Lebron, Lebron....

Only question is how much? 200 million? 250?

Posted by: SteveMG | February 18, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

You play to win the game. I don't blame Arenas/Butler/Jamison, but it took so much for this team as configured to even make the playoffs that once they got there nothing was left to push on.

This team should have been undone two years ago.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | February 18, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

The Oak was pretty athletic for his first 6 years. the 20 after that, not so much.

I always loved watching Thorpe play. undersized but never outplayed.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Mcgee has been labeled and micro analyzed. I know has alot things to learn to be the best that he could at his position. Just don't see how someone how can produce a few easy buckets and could become a menace defensively can't at least be situationally utilized until he reaches whatever potential.

Seems like a little nit picking. Jumping on pump fakes should keep you on the bench for a month.

Like I said, Mcgee is no Tim Duncan but other teams would find a way to use him to their advantage. The Wiz don't have the luxury of turning up their noses at any big with ability.

Posted by: millineumman | February 18, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there Friday night not to see the Nugs but rather the new look Wiz. Interesting that the man I've been yelling about for the entire season to play him but wasn't good enough to even get trash minutes up until now, not only played, but started and dropped a double-double with 5 blocks. Yea that's Mr McGee to you.
I'm excited to watch McGee, Young, Blatche, Howard and the rest, and so glad that Brenda is gone and even Jamison and Butler. Saunders and Grumpfeld (no misspelling there) need to be the next to go. Saunders has been the worst.
Lets Go MR McGee.

Posted by: dovelevine | February 18, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

You are wondering why the clippers are getting gooden, why on earth we need their 6'7'' small forward that will never handle the ball well or play defense every other day.Yes we is easy to move but i do not wnat you people to give EG a credit for having him.Oc was looking for a big man does EG talk to them if they could give up the new PG they got from jazz?
JM need to continue to play,we do not now if he is going to be a bust or a real NBa man.The 32 games will give us a chance know him.

Posted by: gtefferra | February 18, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks they were a total disappointment missed out on the teams'lean years. For a couple of years, we thought we had a shot at getting hot in the playoffs and winning something. The last time I had that kind of hope was when we played the Bulls and had drunkazzz Rod Strickland, Muresan, CWebb, Juwan and Cheaney, etc. They kicked our butts but we challenged them in at least 2 of the 3 games.

Posted by: original_mark | February 18, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

OM ^^^^^

Word!

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

And IMHO, AB's consistency was directly proportional to his minutes and the confidence the coaches had in him. Sometimes I think they use the word 'inconsistent' as an excuse to not play him so that they could continue to coddle AJ by giving him unlimited minutes and shots.
You can't have a highly paid player on the bench, can you? That would be admitting that you made a mistake.
Granted, AJ produced in rebounds and scoring. My point is that AB could also have produced at a much cheaper rate and for many more years. I certainly can't be the only one who has seen this. WHile I dont expect 33 and 13 every night from AB, I would be surprised if he didnt get us 20 and 10 and better defense than AJ if he's given the minutes.

Posted by: original_mark | February 18, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

That big three did nothing but make the playoffs and lose in the first round every year. The real big three was Gil, Twan, and Larry. Caron did nothing here

Posted by: dreman100 | February 18, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark

I'll never forgive Billy Crystal for ruining Gheorghe's knees

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Muresan...

A big question now is who plays C. Clearly Oberto is a decent banger backup who cannot play major minutes due to limited ability and a propensity for picking up fouls quickly.
It's also clear that while JM is skilled, he's got more PF than C in him at this time.

Posted by: original_mark | February 18, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

McGee could be a very good player if he ever actually learns how to play. . . Putting up nice numbers in long minutes in meaningless games can serve to reinforce the idea that flying around freewheelin' is all he needs to do, undermining the idea that he needs to play with more discipline to really develop.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 12:55 PM |

And as other posters have said, the team should invest in a good big man coach. McGee is worth it, and needs it. The kid could be a star.

As for the big 3, when they were at their peak, before the injuries, they were worthy of the name. The team just needed to add a few more pieces. I thought EG had this year, but somehow the Big 3 weren't that big anymore. Fond memories of taking the series from Chicago after being down 3-0. And that series that went six games with the Cavs (in which Gil choked on the free throws after getting psyched out by LeBron) promised better days to come.

Now, we look to those better days under new ownership. I believe we'll get them.

Posted by: 7snider7 | February 18, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I thought Joe Kopicki was solid.

And Dave Batton shot well from the outside.

Posted by: gadlut | February 18, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks Gil! From 3 All Stars and playoffs to 'Re-Building". Posted by: porcelain productions"

the thing you miss is that Gilbert's antics would have have been nipped in the bud by a GOOD organization. the bullets have always had a 3rd class fron office. had some good coaches, but the organization, as a whole, had no clue. how to build a team. unlike most posters here, i respected wes unseld as a gm, more as a coach. forgetting all the MANY good things he did, like it or not, abe pollin ran a 3rd class outfit in basketball. imho.

Posted by: dcjazzman | February 18, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse