Saunders to Foye: 'I haven't lost confidence in you'

Wizards (16-31) at Knicks (18-29)

Knicks: Chris Duhon, Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Jared Jeffries, David Lee

Line: Knicks by 6

Coach Flip Saunders met with Randy Foye on Tuesday to discuss his expectations of the point guard and explain why Foye was limited to just 18 minutes against the Boston Celtics. After the Wizards lost 99-88 on Monday, Foye expressed some disappointment with how he was utilized, as he finished with just two points and four assists - his worst outing since replacing Gilbert Arenas as the starting point guard. But after the meeting, Foye said he has a better understanding what Saunders is looking for from him.

"Usually on his point guards, he's tougher than he is on any other player. I told them that I understand, whatever he need me to do, whatever he want me to do on the court, as far as running the offense or getting the team going, I'm going to do it," Foye said. "With this position, there's a lot of ups and a lot of downs and you just have to learn what it is that coach wants you to do."

Foye said that his sit down with Saunders was the most extended conversation that he's had with the coach all season.

"I talked to Randy. I told him, as much as anything else, 'You have to understand when you're not playing good. I'm tough on point guards because it's not how he plays, it how the team plays,' " Saunders said, explaining to Foye that he had a plus/minus of negative 13 in the 18 minutes on the floor. "I said to him, he has to understand, there is not a right to just play; you have to play well to stay on the floor. That's in all aspects, setting the team up, defending. You do things to make change. That doesn't change that he's our starter and he's a guy that we're looking for in the future. But we have to keep working with him. I said, 'I haven't lost confidence in you.' "

Foye said the meeting meant a lot to him. "That was big for me, because that was our first time really talking like this the whole year, for him to say that, it just inspired me. If my coach is behind me, 120 percent, no matter if I'm scoring 25 and eights assists or scoring two with two assists, he's there to help me become a better point guard. He let me know even if what I'm doing is right, he's going to be tough on me, but don't be discouraged. Just keep on working, keep working hard."

Foye has slumped since scoring a season-high 26 points against the Dallas Mavericks. In his last six games, he averaged just 8.8 points and 3.3 assists. Saunders said that this is all part of Foye's progression as a point guard in his system.

"Like all players, players go through stretches," he said. "Your stretch is different because you're learning a new position and dominating the ball and getting into the offense. One thing about Randy, he's got a great attitude. He wants to win. he wants to do whats right. He has to become more vocal, as a point guard that's what he has to do. And right now, he's so worried about what he has to do, he's not looking into what the other guys have to do."

Saunders said he doesn't think the left injury that sidelined Caron Butler on Wednesday is serious enough to keep him out for a long period of time. He wanted to rest him as a precautionary measure.

With Stevenson starting in place of Butler, the Wizards are going with their 18th different starting lineup this season.

By Michael Lee  |  February 3, 2010; 7:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caron Butler to miss Knicks game with left knee injury
Next: Wizards "play selfishly" and lose to Knicks

Comments

I'd like to see the team keep Foye.

Posted by: 7snider7 | February 3, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Wizards starters: Randy Foye, DeShawn Stevenson, Mike Miller, Antawn Jamison, Brendan Haywood.

By Michael Lee | February 3, 2010; 7:25 PM ET

quinn3

Knowing Flip he will start Foye, Stevenson, Miller, Jamison, Haywood

I would prefer to see Foye, Miller, Jamison, Blatche, Haywood start

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

For all of you who think my posts are all hindsight, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the bozo’s that run this organization are all about and you can see what they are going to do from a mile away.

That’s why the other GM’s in the NBA are going to take Ernie to the cleaners if he’s allowed to make deals before the dead line.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm tough on point guards Saunders said?

But soft on PF's SF's and the Vet's?

Good job ETaps II

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

The thing is EG rarely lets himself get taken to the cleaners.

Posted by: cannontl | February 3, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

"That was big for me, because that was our first time really talking like this the whole year"

That is sorryt Flip. I thought you learned from Detroit about being a beter communicator. All those meetings in the beginning of the year and now you're not even talking at this extent to your starting point guard? That's inexcusable.

Boykins should play no more than 15 minutes a game. He always talks about how much Foye dribbles but good grief, what the heck is Boykins doing with the ball?

Posted by: ptp23 | February 3, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Explaining to Foye that he had a plus/minus of negative 13 in the 18 minutes on the floor.

Plus minus doesn't seem to bother him for Butler or Jamison. That's sorry Flip.

Posted by: ptp23 | February 3, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

CB out, Mcgee plays while haywood sits??? the rockets trade is happening!

Posted by: divi3 | February 3, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Assuming and hoping Leonsis acquires the team remember when he bought the Caps and Mcphee was on the hot seat at the time. He stuck with him and look at the results now. It's my guess once he buys the team he'll stick with Grunfeld. I know he was never able to take the Knicks or Milwaukee to the promise land, only consistently to the playoffs. I think Abe was behind the Gilbert and Jamison contracts and Ernie just went along. At least that's what I want to think regarding the Arenas contract debacle. Ernie did manage to pull Caron for Cryin' Kwame and I think if Miller hadn't been hurt we'd be having a different season. It sure would be nice to have a team worth a sh!# to root for around here, blow it up!

Posted by: potsy536 | February 3, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I Beg To Differ! I Beg To Differ! I Beg To Differ! _his _s _ome _umb _oaching.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Does that beard that DS is wearing grate on anyone besides me.

Boy, I swear that would be a discipline issue with me. I guess it is alright with Flip though.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I like DS beard. Its the only thing about him I like...andhe hustles. he just kind of isn't very good.

I will say that if Haywood played every game like he has played the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half. I would be his biggest fan.

That's my problem with Haywood...he shows he CAN play. He just doesn't do it often. Weak. If Haywood had DS mentality, he would be tough as s in the middle.

Posted by: Blurred | February 3, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

and then he regresses to the mean with a weak drive, an ill advised shot and out of position on D

Posted by: Blurred | February 3, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Ernie did manage to pull Caron for Cryin' Kwame...

Posted by: potsy536 | February 3, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

...and Mitch Kupchak got Pau Gasol for Kwame?

I would take Gasol over Caron anyday.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Miller has got to look to shoot more. I am perplexed why it doesn't appear that he does not seem to think that he is a scorer.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

The thing is EG rarely lets himself get taken to the cleaners.

Posted by: cannontl | February 3, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Gil took him there and if Ernie is as some on here say because he sat back and let Abe tell him how to do his job...then not only can't he draft, sign and trade players he's also a coward.

That's someone I would want running my organization?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | February 3, 2010 9:02 PM

You mean like all players are inclined to do each and every game.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I would bench Miller for not shooting the ball. On his way to the bench I would curse him out.

In two minutes I call him and tell him to get his arse back in the game and score the ball.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

This game is over.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Krytonite.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

The 4th Q', The Money Quarter.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

They seem to always go away in The Money Quarter. Haywood has to sit 'cause he so tied and inconsistent. Boykin has to play to get his minutes.

And these playa's ya know, they just don't get it.

The just wast all that good coaching knowledge that Flip just continues to impart to them.

They just don't show no improvement whatsoeva'.

Boy, I be glads when we gets somes playas' that plays like Flip wants.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

CLEVELAND is hot to get ANTAWN. We need to trade JAMISON for JAMES straight up.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 3, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Another embarrassing loss to another pathetic team

Posted by: DMoney28 | February 3, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Se acabo, hombres.

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | February 3, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

After the house clearing, the WIZARDS will be the equivalent of an expansion team next year.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 3, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

they're so horrible. not only are they really horrible but they're incredibly boring to watch. hard to watch the caps one night and then the wiz. i need to stop wasting my time with the wiz. they need to just tank the season and get a lottery pick. but then they will probably trade it.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 3, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

How can anybody in their right mind think AJ deserves to be on the All Star team?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | February 3, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Honey, you can't go....all the plants are gonna' die.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 3, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Saunders to Foye: 'I haven't lost confidence in you'

The team (other than Boykins)to Saunders: "We've lost confidence in you"

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Ernie did manage to pull Caron for Cryin' Kwame...

Posted by: potsy536 | February 3, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

...and Mitch Kupchak got Pau Gasol for Kwame?

I would take Gasol over Caron anyday.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Kwame was a throw-in. The trade was basically Gasol for Gasol. But don't let facts get in the way of your loudmouth opinions.

Posted by: IrenePollin | February 3, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Ya Know?

I think that if Lebron James really wanted to become a billionaire, he could do it more quickly doubling as an NFL WR/TE AND a Cleveland Cavalier. Certainly assuming there is no salary cap.

But the combination of those two sports could be too physically daunting.

Posted by: Vicc | February 3, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

What this team needs is a true pg with NBA size. The Wizards should make space on the roster and get one.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | February 3, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jordan could've possibly--but by golly and 'Sure'ly shoulda had 8 NBA championships in a row.

Posted by: Vicc | February 3, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

So BTH is having one of his best games of the season, scores his 12th pt, and Flip pulls him with 2:24 left in the 3rd, knicks up 62-60

re-inserts BTH with 5:50 left in the game, knicks now up by 9

Haywood goes the rest of the way:

0-0fg, 0-0ft, 0pts, 0rebs, 0blks, 1TO

wtf Flip? Did you have to pull him? The guy is obviously a delicate flower who needs to be treated gently. Play him the whole way or not at all in the 4th quarter, but pulling him the 2nd half apparently causes flashbacks to the Etan wars and he crawls into a shell.

Sheesh this team sucks and so does their coach!

Posted by: divi3 | February 3, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

60-29 knicks run to end the game when wiz were up 9...dominated by a 5'9" 2nd string pg.

les boullez!

Posted by: divi3 | February 3, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Irene,

Exactly two years ago, Feb. 1, 2008, the Lakers made the trade heard 'round the world: Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, Marc Gasol and two No. 1 picks for Pau Gasol and a second-round pick.

Ever since, the Lakers have won more games than any other NBA team and have made the NBA Finals twice. Gasol has been the perfect complement to Kobe Bryant, and is a natural fit for Phil Jackson's triangle system. As I've written before, it's almost like he was created to play on this team, in this offense.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

After Michael, it'll be Kobe Bryant, and after him it'll be Lebron James. We will soon accept the fact that basketball is a 'One-Man' sport; like tennis, golf, swimming, and chess.

Posted by: Vicc | February 3, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: IrenePollin | February 3, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey IRENE aren't you in mourning or something? Get up off my man bulletsfan78.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 3, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

glawrence007

That's okay there are a lot of blind followers on here that think Ernie is a good GM.

Some of us who watch this team and look at the record know better.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Foye is good when he is looking to pass first. When he is looking to shoot first, he is streaky.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | February 3, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

bfan78- it's disingenuous to compare Kwame-for-Caron and Kwame-for-Gasul as if there was some possibility that EG could have swung Gasul instead of Caron. And you know that...so why even compare the two trades?

Posted by: divi3 | February 3, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Mike Miller can go too.

Mike can really play but his reluctance to shoot and his self appointed role on this team is exactly what we don't need from a Guy with this much skill.

How many times does the Head Coach have to order Miller to shoot the damn ball when he has the shot? Miller has appointed himself the playmaker on this horrible excuse for an NBA team when what they need is for him to score! This guy can play but is a head case in an NBA parallell Universe league in which you DON'T WANT TO SCORE! Yes, by all means make the good pass but for crying out loud shoot it when you have the shot!!!

What is it with the Players Grunfeld has assembled? I have never seen such a sorry lot as what has been forced on the Bullett's fans. This debacle cries out for a completely, and I mean Head Coach too completely, entirely new direction for this sorry franchise to head for.

Grunfeld, step the F!@# down! Leonsis, get the deal done and save what little is left of DC's pride in a Franchise that has embarrased us all.

Posted by: jshavatt | February 3, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Boston game right now. Hubie is practically swooning over Perkins.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 3, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Boston game right now. Hubie is practically swooning over Perkins.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 3, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Well good for him.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 3, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | February 3, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

divi3

This teams record and the players (all but BTH) are Ernie's players.

How do you defend that?

I'm starting to think some of the fans on here look at things as clear as the first OJ jury did?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Boston game right now. Hubie is practically swooning over Perkins.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 3, 2010 10:28 PM

Haywood is doing all of this on his own. Big ups to Haywood.

Lo and behold, what chance that fellow gets traded to a Team/Coach that would consciously incorporate Haywood into their offensive gameplan.

But guess what. we won't to argue about it now, because we shall see in all due time what Haywood really can do ON ANOTHER TEAM.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 10:41 PM

Not a good comparison my good fellow. The jury saw a lynching of probably a guilty man and said no, not this time.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 3, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Larry,

I didn't mean anything bad about the comparison all I was trying to say is it's hard to look at the facts when a person is emotionally involved.

If I offended you I apologize.

There are some fans (fanatics) who believe everything an organization tells them and the team can do nothing wrong.

I look at the record and to me that means somethings not right.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I look at the record and to me that means somethings not right.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 3, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

LARRY:

I enjoy your posts but I'm with bulletsfan78 here. To me, nothing's right within the entire organization. I've been saying all along, I detest what ARENAS did, but there's enough accountability to go around.

What the WIZARDS ownership did in turning their back on their own hand-picked face-of-the-franchise, was shallow. I don't blame ARENAS for what happened so much as I blame the cavalier attitude fostered by owners and management toward the players and their actions both on and off the court. This franchise is rotten to the core.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 3, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

"Well Darn It. If the Wizards incorporated Haywood into their offensive gameplan like Boston does for all their players, Haywood might be averaging 5 more points per game than he does."

Well, darn it, if Haywood had put as much work into improving his offensive game as Perkins has over the last few years, he might have earned more offensive touches. But he hasn't. As a result, he's an offensive liability. As a result, they don't give him him the ball on offense. (Actually, they do give him the ball on offense, more than they should; he simply fails to so anything worthwhile with it.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

What mystifies me about the Wizards is that they don't feel they need a true point guard. Gil was NOT a point guard. He doesn't have the right mentality. Obviously he's not a leader. What guard can penetrate? and dish? Tell me. No one. Rod Strickland was the last true PG the Wiz had. Foye is not impressing me with his ability to get into the paint or dish. Lastly, Why goes DS get playing time? Flip's rotations puzzle me also. I've seen enough of Boykins. He doesn't provide much. 1ST order of business for the Wiz: GET A POINT GUARD... that would help a lot.

Posted by: stlman17 | February 4, 2010 4:29 AM | Report abuse

Good point. People joke about Strickland, but he was a real point guard and he could play. I'd rather see guys like Strickland and Webber than the current bunch of duds any day of the week.

Posted by: shovetheplanet | February 4, 2010 5:36 AM | Report abuse

I agree, I'm glad someone said it. My main memory of the Strick was of a very good and consistent player.

Getting back to the original comment, surely one of the biggest disappointments this year behind Arenas and about equal with Caron's regression must be the staggeringly underwhelming coaching job from Saunders this year. I guess I was one who thought he'd make a big difference.

The complete inability of this team to run set plays after time outs and at end of quarters is comical. I know Buckhantz bangs on about this all the time, but just because it comes from a chucklehead like him doesn't mean its not true. He can't fix even that after 6 months......

Posted by: ArchieTambo | February 4, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse