NBA trade deadline update

5:35 update During his trade deadline news conference, Ernie Grunfeld said the Wizards made a "minor" move without announcing the deal. Turns out, according to sources, that the Wizards dealt Dominic McGuire and $300,000 to the Sacramento Kings for a 2010 second-round pick, which was far from a "minor" deal considering the financial implications.

Entering the day, the Wizards were about $500,000 above the luxury tax penalty, but by moving McGuire's $825,000 contract to the Kings, they moved under the tax line - and made another $4 million. Teams that don't pay the luxury tax actually receive a dispersal check from the pool of money from teams that pay the penalty.

The Wizards now have four draft picks in the 2010 draft, with two first-round picks (their own, and Cleveland's) and two second-round picks, which should be pretty high given how bad the Kings and Wizards have been this season.

McGuire, a San Diego native, gets to return to his California roots. He had difficult season, averaging just 0.7 points and 5.9 minutes in 41 games. Last season, McGuire started 57 games and averaged 4.5 points and 5.4 rebounds.

3:53 update: From @MrMichaelLee -- Dominic McGuire going to Sacramento for a future 2nd round pick (in 2011, I believe) and cash, according to source.

3:14 update: The deadline passed 14 minutes ago, and it appears that the Wizards made no more trades.

Original post: With a half-hour left before the trade deadline, the Wizards have yet to make a move, but they are still engaging in discussions with other teams, hoping to shed more salary off the payroll. Yahoo! Sports reported that the Wizards were involved in discussions with Miami and Utah for a deal that would help Carlos Boozer join the Heat.

The Wizards are armed with some sizeable expiring contracts, with Mike Miller ($9 million), Mike James ($6.5 million) and now Zydrunas Ilguaskas ($11.5 million). They have no interest in moving Miller, and they have tried to move James all season to no avail. But Ilgauskas is an interesting piece since the Wizards have already shown that they have no problem moving players before they ever unpack -- or arrive -- as they did with Drew Gooden.

I spoke with Ilgauskas's agent, Herb Rudoy, this morning and he told me that he wants to negotiate a buyout for Ilgauskas, but he had yet to hear back from Ernie Grunfeld. Something could be cooking there, but we'll see in a few minutes.

James said he was disappointed after practice that he wasn't moved in either deal with Dallas or Cleveland. The Wizards considered moving James with Jamison for Ilgauskas, Jamario Moon and a first-round pick, according to sources, but later took the three-team trade. James was also discussed in the potential deal with Dallas, but the Wizards were able to include DeShawn Stevenson instead.

"I missed the car ride, I missed the bus and I missed the plane," James said. "Now it's a ship going out at about 2:45, but I'm on the other side of town and I only got a couple of minutes to make it, so it don't look good for me right now.

"If this is what I got to deal with for this season, I feel like a summer going to go to waste as hard as I worked this year," he said. "I played, what, two games, three games this year. I haven't done that since my rookie year in the NBA and this is my ninth year. And I've played for some solidified teams and they felt I could help those teams. This year, I'm just not good enough with this system. I don't fit this system. If I'm here tomorrow, I'm come to work early like I always do. And it's just for my own sanity."

By Michael Lee  |  February 18, 2010; 2:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Legacy of the Big Three?
Next: Jamison looks back with some regrets

Comments

How do you like Ernie Grunfeld now?

I told you he was as smart as three GMs combined and now he has proven it. Not that many of you deserve it, with your incessant second-guessing, but the future for your Wizards is bright.

Enjoy what Ernie has done and prepare to embrace his next moves!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | February 18, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey G! Congrats on your spiders making top 25. they are looking good!

As far as Z goes, I hope we keep Mcgee starting and brign Z in for 15-20 minutes. I honestly don't care if we win another game this season. I want to see our players develop or at least figure out whther they can be developed.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the ups man. And in twenty we'll know if Z even bothers to leave CLEVELAND or not.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 18, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy what Ernie has done and prepare to embrace his next moves!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | February 18, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm absolutely certain IRENE does. Now let's see what TED thinks.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 18, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for your departure JASMES. All my greatest wishes for you have come true. Splinters, splinters, and more splinters. Enjoy your paycheck. These are the biggest ones you'll have the rest of your career.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 18, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Mike James, do us all a favor a quit the game. You are over the hill and nobody wants you anymore.

Posted by: ParkerLewis | February 18, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

gotta love Mike James, those are great quotes.

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Ma...you are too tough on James. The guy has worked HARD his whole career. he isn't tops and I don't want him playing, but it isn't his fault that people wanted to pay him.

Plus, he stays out of trouble and generally keeps his mouth shut.

I don't have a problem with him and wish we could have moved him, too, but none of that is his fault. Like he says, "I'm come to work early like I always do."

Nothing you can complain about that.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

How do you like Ernie Grunfeld now? I told you he was as smart as three GMs combined and now he has proven it. ...

Posted by: melodious_thunk | February 18, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Very impressive! My problem with EG is that he never seemed to have trying for a championship as an ultimate goal. The moves to lock in Gil long-term as the franchise player doomed the Wiz to mid-pack forever. That one move could un-do him.

EG or no one else could have predicted the disaster that came. However, by signing Gil as the franchise player and adding a longish-term contract extensive for the aging Antawn, it just seems like EG was shooting for respectability, not the big prize.

EG's moves this deadline have been first rate. The original AJ deal, the Butler deal and the original signing of Gil were all tops.

However, how does Ted Leonsis know that EG would be willing to build a championship team and not just try for respectability? His track record here does not demonstrate that he has been reaching for the big prize. Sometimes if you try for a C you get an F. That's what happened this season.

Posted by: EdDC | February 18, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

sometimes when you try for a center you get a forward? Wha????

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Is James really so bad that he can't any pt? Any at all? Not even garbage time? I'm not necessarily a fan of James, but come on...

Posted by: hibachi | February 18, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Nothing you can complain about that.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Never liked what I saw of him on the court. Of course, there were a lot of others in that catagory too. Most of them are gone, however, ARENAS and YOUNG are still here. ROSS impressed me initially today as having potential to take those shots now missing. The old jack 'um up syndrome. There's a lot of that going around the NBA. I just don't want to pay to watch it. That's why I enjoy VCU and RICHMOND b-ball better.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 18, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

So is Z actually going to be on the hardwood for our next game or is he going to become a DREW GOODEN?

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 18, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

James was a shoot em up artist. But he did work on his conditioning alot and I've never complaint one about him doing what he is asked to do.

He got rewarded for jacking em up, not passing. So thats what he does.

Anyway. I don't care if he plays or not, as long as he doesn't get in the way of our younger players evaluation/development.

I wish my employees would show up early every day.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

IMHO
James shudda seen more PT.
I mean if Deshame got some then James shudda got 3X as much.

Posted by: VBFan | February 18, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Here's a breakdown of players under contract for next season...

Arenas - $17,730,694
Blatche - $3,260,331
Thornton - $2,814,196
Young - $2,630,503
McGee- $1,601,040

That puts us at $28,036,764

If you add in Foye's qualifying offer($4,795,095) and Ross' player option($1,146,337) we end up with $33,978,196 committed for next season.

With the salary cap # expected to fall to 53.6 million and the luxury tax at 65 million. We are looking at a good chunk of money to use this summer.

Posted by: DMoney28 | February 18, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

How do you like Ernie Grunfeld now?

Posted by: melodious_thunk | February 18, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

melodious_thunk

He's been fixing his own mistakes for years.

For two former all stars he got Thornton and cash in the Pollin's bank account?

I hope you don't want Ernie here next year to trade another high draft pick do you?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78

Actually Yes I do

Posted by: rnorris6 | February 18, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I think James has an inflated view of himself. He launches jump shots and sometimes they go in. Apparently, he's a well-conditioned jump shooter. He's kind of bitter for a guy who makes nearly $7 million a year for doing something dozens of other young, lesser-paid prospects can do just as well, if not better. (Although I can see why he's puzzeled that Stevenson got so much more PT than he did. Maybe because he passed the ball and tried to play a little D.)

Posted by: jweber1 | February 18, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

i think his comments about trying to catch a ship crosstown are pretty funny.

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

The guy wants to play...to contribute. I am not sure he has a ton to contribute, but that is a good attitude to have.

If he has a high opinion of himself maybe it is because: "I've played for some solidified teams and they felt I could help those teams"

And nobody MADE any of these teams pay him $7 mil.

I'm just saying..cut the guy a little slack. He works hard and wants to contribute. Never heard anyone say he is a trouble maker and he is at least funny when he does open his mouth.

Lots of guys are happy to take a paycheck for nothing. He wants to try to earn it.

That is a good ethic to have in any workplace.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

OK..now I disagree with the Dom for 2nd pick and cash.

Then again, I doubt Dom was gonna get much better, so whatever.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering why McGuire didn't play last night.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | February 18, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

So we traded Dom (who didn't look to get a lot of pt anyway) for cash and a 2nd rder that (if it's like this year) we can trade for more cash! The team sucks, but the franchise is going to be rich, rich I tells ya!

Posted by: ts35 | February 18, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

McGuire's a FA who wasn't going to be re-signed (and the got Singleton to fill the designated hustle-guy slot the rest of the season). Anything they could get in exchange for Dom is gravy, really.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I got a feeling that McGuire is gonna be one of those playes that the Wizards shouldn't have let get away!!! He clearly didn't get enough playing time this year...after stepping in last year and doing a decent job during all of the injuries.

Posted by: chicoexcell | February 18, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

The draft looks like it has lots of people that can help our woeful team. Even at the 29 and early 30's we should get something with a little hope attached to it.

Posted by: Blurred | February 18, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight. We started the season with Butler and McGuire at SF. We finish the season with Josh Howard and Al Thornton. I'd consider that an upgrade.

Posted by: MBUSA | February 18, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MBUSA | February 18, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse
pretty much. josh and caron might be a push, but Al is a nice young player to add right now. he may bring a certain level of toughness and nasty to the game.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | February 18, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards are armed with some sizeable expiring contracts, with Mike Miller ($9 million), Mike James ($6.5) and now Zydrunas Ilguaskas ($11.5 million).
------------------------------
Mike James make 6.5 million a year is the breaking news of the day. We can't even get a set of brand new balls for this guy, but the Wizards can't even cut him. If I were the Wiazrds I'd just let him soil on the bench till the end of the season.

Posted by: ENJOYA | February 18, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't have said it better, EdDC. Earnie takes you to the gold and leaves with the digging equipment. The Wiz was right on the cusp after beating Chicago in the playoffs. Ernie never got us the power player we needed. He stood pat and watched Miami, Atlanta, Orlando, etc surpass us. His acquisitions two years ago: Dee Brown and Juan Dixon? This past offseason trading the 5th for two more outside players? Flip said that everyone around the league knows the Wizards can't play defense. Who picked these non-defenders?

Posted by: gpoint1 | February 18, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

EdDC: just got to say that's the best assessment of EG I've read here. Most fools just criticize him blindly, when the truth is most of his personnel moves, I think, were very good. But yeah, the contracts were boneheaded. I just wonder how much of that was Abe's doing. Probably not much.

He took a good shot, it just all fell apart. Can't blame him for the moves, but we can sure blame him for the numbers.

Posted by: RIP-21 | February 18, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anacostia85 | February 18, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

In defense of EG, he built a Knicks team that went to the NBA finals even though the Knicks could never make it when they had Ewing. Also it was Abe Pollin's Plan to try to build a championship around Gil, AJ and Butler, EG did not have a choice.

Pollin was a great human being but horrible as an NBA owner and he was the reason this team was always mired in mediocrity.

If EG is given an owner who wants to build a championship more than make money I dont see any reason he cant build another team that can at least make it to the Finals.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 18, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

McGuire is Jared Jeffries deux....He'll ride pine for 3 or 4 more years then get hurt and be out of the league. And I don't wish injury or anything bad on him, he's just in that same caliber of player to me.

Ernie, anyone can dump salaries; you can get a temp to shred paper, that's nothing to pat the back about. Can you build a WINNER? Can you make Verizon a place folks WANT to come to? Can you change the atmosphere, the culture of mediocrity, change people's perception of this Organization?

We'll have to wait and see. But I've haven't seen him do that anywhere yet. Had Ewing and couldn't do it, went 54% in Milwaukee and now this here. Same old same.

Posted by: kahlua87 | February 18, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

WRT to DMac, it's called taking out the garbage.

Another draft pick by EG that didn't pan out.

It doesn't matter if EG has stockpiled picks for the 2010 draft.

All or most will be sold for more money, or will turn out to be busts.

It's about the bottom line, not winning.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 18, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clipperfan | February 18, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"It's about the bottom line, not winning."

Posted by: IrenePollin | February 18, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

"Hey, dumb-dumb--they would have been paying the lux tax this year if things hadn't fallen apart. Not sure how you can read cheapness into this. Oh wait, yes I can--because you're stupid!

Posted by: IrenePollin | February 18, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse "

What you don't realize is that you are a stupid person.

The predicament that EG got Les BouleS into by having a team over the salary cap that can't win.

Now, he's got to have a firesale unload in order to achieve your "make a move in order to not pay the lux tax."

Stupid dum dum!!!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 18, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I agree that McGuire may be a player we regret losing. He's a really gifted rebounder.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | February 18, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

"You are all mistaken if you think that Al Thornton will bring "toughness" or any defensive skills. He's strictly a one on one player who has zero basketball IQ. He doesn't understand offensive or defensive concepts. Good bye Al, we won't miss ya.

Posted by: clipperfan | February 18, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse "

Sounds like he'll fit right in.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 18, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anacostia85 | February 18, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse
"Turns out, according to sources, that the Wizards dealt Dominic McGuire and $300,000 to the Sacramento Kings for a 2010 second-round pick"

Posted by: horace1 | February 18, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I am back on the Ernie and Bernie show. I think the Wizard made out the best in all yhrades. Regretably losing Haywood, but he is a free agebt and if Ernie can come up with a major player, Haywood can come back next year. Now the verdict is still out on Saunders. Why doesn't Mcgee get more time? He had a great game last night in only 24 minutes. Nobody else seemed to be pleased with the way they played last night.

Posted by: bobilly2 | February 18, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

how awesome would it be if we kept big Z all season, preventing him from resigning with the cavs

they had hickson and varejo at PF, no backup for shaq, specially against the celtics, lakers and magic, for jamison, another PF would be a big blow, lack of depth there might hurt their chances for a championship

in the end, we'd have suckered the cavs into taking jamison's contract, while hurting their championship drive, and possibly causing james to be pissed off enough to leave in the offseason

he'll probably get bought out, but just saying it'd be funny

Posted by: hb_321 | February 18, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I really liked dom and was disappointed he didn't play last night with all the new minutes opened up but this makes sense, either way good luck dom i hope someone can see the value in a guy who does a bit of all besides scoring

Posted by: bford1kb | February 18, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

eddc you should consider polin's role in resigning both antawn and gil, I bet he said "do what you need to to get em done", the verizon was crowded at the time and abe didn't want that to dry up by letting either escape

Posted by: bford1kb | February 18, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I hope z doesn't get a single minute for the wiz

Posted by: bford1kb | February 18, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

"great job getting a do over on the failed dom mcguire pick and he got cash to boot."

Posted by: anacostia85 | February 18, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

"the money went to Sacramento dude! so EG paid 300,000 for a second round pick and dumped salary."

Posted by: horace1 | February 18, 2010 6:56 PM

Just a quick take for both of you.

1) Come-on "a do over" on "failed" 2nd Rd pick. Seriously.... The 2nd round is a crap-shoot. Some fans get so hung-up on the Boozer's, Arenas's, and Blair of the world that they forget most of these guys end up in the D-league or coaching a high school.

2) The cash that everyone is talking about Ernie getting is the larger than most years lux tax payout that the Wiz will now receive. As for the 300Gs the Wiz sent to the Kings that is to pay the remaining salary of McGuire. In essence, the Wiz cut McGuire and got a high 2nd Rd pick and Lux tax money for doing it.

Good trade, if they take a risk for a high upside player.

Posted by: SportzWiz | February 18, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

horace1,

Not right.

As I understand it, EG dumped salary, which got the team under the cap, which means that the Wiz are now eligible for about $4 million in luxury tax funds (because they are no longer a team paying into the fund, but taking money out of it).

The makes the net on the McGuire deal at least +$4.7 mill in the Wizards favor this year. Not too bad. (e.g. $1 mill off the books in salary and luxury-tax penalties, plus $4 mill. of money that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise, all for the price of an expiring contract and $300K in cash consideration).

As far as anacostia85's statement about McGuire being a "bust," that strikes me as way too harsh.

If a player is drafted in the middle of the second round, clears $825K, and is still in the league 3 years after he was drafted, that's not much of a drag on a teams resources.

Considering the production that the Wizards got out of McGuire last year, he's outperformed his draft position.

EG's deal still makes a lot of sense for the organization and for McGuire, but it's not so much because McGuire was any kind of bust.

Posted by: JPRS | February 18, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

James expected to leave Wiz in buyout
February, 18, 2010
FEB 18
6:48
PM ET

By Marc Stein
Archive
Wizards guard Mike James has been granted an indefinite leave by the team in anticipation of a buyout, according to team sources.

The Wizards held onto James through Thursday in the event that his $6.6 million expiring contract might be included in a trade.

The parties are now expected to negotiate a buyout settlement before March 1 that will make James eligible to play in the playoffs with his next team.

James, 34, has appeared in only four games this season for the Wizards, but he started 50 games for Washington last season after arriving in a trade with New Orleans, averaging 9.6 points and 3.6 assists.

Cleveland and Miami are among the teams that have monitored James’ situation in Washington in hopes that he would eventually become an in-season free agent. It’s believed that Charlotte is an eventual landing spot for James after he played for Bobcats coach Larry Brown in Detroit when the Pistons won the championship in 2004.

Posted by: VBFan | February 18, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ajb1094 | February 18, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Dom McGuire and NOT Mike James? Dom could be that Ben Wallace we let go. Nice rebounder when given time and a decent defender. And they keep Mike James? Wow! I hope we have a great draft and summer.

Posted by: Doobie_Sparks | February 18, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Man, we all knew they would clean house - but this is cleaning house Mafia style. They're just eliminating everyone!

Now it really, really gets interesting. The Pollin family evened up their ledger, they're square. Now can they make the deal with Leonsis? And if/when Leonsis takes control, does he want to build from scratch with Grunfield? And I have a feeling that Leonsis might want a GM that can handle Gilbert being around - cause I'm starting to think he will be. And what about a new coach if there's a new GM? But how would you even get rid of Saunders - firing him seems a bit harsh, even with a terrible record.

Wow, lots and lots of intrigue to come. Not even mentioning the tons of cap room

Posted by: Kev29 | February 18, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

"EG just pulled some really good moves. We have 4 picks in the draft. Hopefully one of those moves ends up being the #1 pick in the draft. If it happens to be the #1 pick we can rest assured that we don't have a guy like MJ making the selection. (Sorry frat, I call 'em like I see 'em... KB was a horrific move). Anyway I like the move and wonder if we can pull a Portland on the NBA. They have one of the youngest, if not the youngest team in the league and the win games. I'd like to see these guys work together and play together for a while and see what happens in the long run.

Posted by: ajb1094 | February 18, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse "

Ok.

When has EG's draft history with Les BouleS shown that he can make a pick that produces a nice player and since when has youth on this team proven to be a plus?

I think back and chuckle on how before this season, people on this blog were hyped about having Sam Cassell on the team to tutor Gilby on how to be a PG.

It was probably one of GM's naive pipedream musings, which of course, proven to be just that...

chuckle...chuckle....

SWADAGGGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 18, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSkins1 | February 18, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

"Alot of you are obviously very knowledgable. Can someone please explain how we can give Cqron and Brenda and not get at least ONE young up and comer from Dallas? We helped them so much for a playoff run and they give up nobody they wanted to keep!

Posted by: DCSkins1 | February 18, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse "

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

When you have a GM who can't draft, who can't acquire good free agents, who can't retain free agents, who can't hire a coach to make the pieces work, and who gets rid of the very free agents and draft picks that he acquires, then what you sell to the fans is hope and hype.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 18, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh... and as Steve Spurrier says, "Hindsight is 50-50", but why not take Brandon Jennings and pair him with Gilbert rather than getting boring Randy Foye and Miller, who always gets hurt anyway.

I didn't know Jennings would be a star, but it is not my job to figure that out. If I had all day every day to scout and look at these players, I bet I would have a clue that in the short and long term, for the fans and the franchise, Brandon Jennings would be better than Randy Foye and Mike Miller. (And we got rid of Pech too, but that was the stupidest draft mistake Ernie ever made, so I am not going to pat him on the back for finding ways to get rid of his mistakes.)

Posted by: DCSkins1 | February 18, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | February 18, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSkins1 | February 18, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

"You can't tell me that Mike James can't play a role on this d-league team. At the very least, he can give you 6 fouls per game.

Posted by: tundey | February 18, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse "

I would say not to put in Mike James so Les BouleS could tank the rest of the games for a better chance in the lottery, but Les BouleS are doing a good enough job as it is.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 18, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

"Whoa!!! DC MAN88---Are you talking about Vinny Cerrato or EG? Why do we get stuck with these morons making decisions for our home teams? Only one GM is worth a decent salary and his initials are GM. I trust Leonsis to find the right guy to turn this around and then that guy to find a coach to make them a winner.

Posted by: DCSkins1 | February 18, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse "

Let's not mention Leonsis until he's actually the owner.

Who would have thought that by now, he's still not the majority owner?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 18, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSkins1

///////////////////////////////

EG used Gooden as part of the Jamison deal to get the Cavs #1, draft rights to Emir Preldzic, and Al Thornton. The original deal also brought some low-end prospects with Singleton and Ross. So there are a few wild-cards in the deal that could pan-out.

From a business perspective, clearing out some of the long-term contracts increases the near-term value and profitability of the team for the new owners (it also provides some flexibility for future deals). The only major commitment still on the books is Arenas's deal, and that could resolve itself this off-season.

Posted by: JPRS | February 18, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

To piggy back on JPRS's response, a team like Dallas is not going to offer anything of long term value to a team as desperate for cap relief as the Wizards were. Not that they have any real prospects anyway, they're old as f... Everyone knows their place in this dance, teams like the Wizards clear house, teams like the Cavs and Mavs assist, take on big talent/contracts and the Clippers do something dumb. That's just how it goes.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 18, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I think the biggest mistakes were totally passing on any chance to look to the future with last year's draft. Comi.ng out of that without ANY young players with potential or big bodies (like the 2nd round pass on Dujaun Blair) was incompetent. I know they thought they had a window to make a run in the playoffs that was closing, but some of those guys could have helped now as much as Foye and Miiler

Posted by: DCSkins1 | February 18, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

These are alll good deals would love for them to get rid of Mike James. Some of the negative vibes center around players who do not want to be there.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | February 19, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Mike James u are a BUM...I'm glad u didnt get traded to a potential contender!!!! U dnt deserve it u BUM... tryna get out of town when the going gets tough...u BUM, thats y they couldnt move u...none of those GOOD teams WANTED a BUM like yourself...I hope u have to spend all the money that u have received from the Wizards (sitting on the bench) paying someone to take the splinters out of your buttocks...YOU BUM

Posted by: dmcclure05 | February 19, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

WRT to DMac, it's called taking out the garbage.

Another draft pick by EG that didn't pan out.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 18, 2010 5:58 PM |

Even given your usual exaggeration and biliousness, 88, your statement above was poor. If DMac had been a high first-rounder, then perhaps, but as a 2nd rounder, DMac was a good acquisition, who will contribute to his next team. (He didn't get much opportunity this year.)

Posted by: 7snider7 | February 19, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse