The Wizards get more bad news

Morning brew

Well, this dismal season continued to go downhill yesterday with the news that Josh Howard is out for the season with a torn ACL in his left knee. Howard was injured during the first quarter of Monday's win over Chicago, and entered that game averaging 17 points and four rebounds per game since the trade

This is only the latest setback for a franchise that this season has weathered its share of injury misfortune and mishaps off the court, most infamously the suspension of Gilbert Arenas after he brought firearms to the Verizon Center locker room.

Bullets Forever's Mike Prada tries to see the bright side of Howard's injury.

Mike Jones lists important questions the team must answer in its next 28 games. On CSNWashington.com yesterday, he had more to say about the new-look, new mind-set Wizards.

Comcast SportsNet will feature an interview with Robert Pollin tonight at 10 on "SportsNite."

Around the League ...

There were eight games last night -- including Antawn Jamison scoring 18 points in his first start for the Cavaliers as they defeated New Orleans.

Highlights of that game and more are below in NBA.com's Daily Zap.

By Alexa Steele  |  February 24, 2010; 11:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Josh Howard is done for the season [Updated]
Next: Wizards sign Harris to 10-day contract

Comments

this blog title made it sound like something else happened besides howard's acl... ;p

Posted by: 3tripleiii | February 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

false advertising mike lee, very weak.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | February 24, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Watch that fast-break dunk by Jamison in the first 20 seconds of the video -- he caught a pass from Lebron and posterized #30, hanging from the rim.

When I saw that I thought, "I knew he had it in him!" He was holding back the whole time he was here! I never saw him dunk on anybody while he was with the Wizards. It was always some stupid rushed flip-shot -- basically taking a routine put-back and turning it into a low percentage shot. I'm sure we'll be seeing Jamison do a lot of things that he never did now that he's with the Cavs.

Posted by: jimwest20 | February 24, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

What a tease, Alexa!!

The headline refers to the bad news we've known about for nearly 24 hours.

Posted by: and_1 | February 24, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Jamison occasionally brought down a big dunk for the Wizards but his offensive tenacity never translated once he crossed back to the defensive end -- Cleveland will get to see that. The Cavs now have the 2 worst pick and roll defenders in Shaq and Jamison. Jamison is a good guy and very talented offensively but good lord is he horrible defensively for a power forward.

Posted by: Chad32 | February 24, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdDC | February 24, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I am begining to think Ted will not buy the team. Most people like the way he values player development and seems to have a good grasp of player value in terms of salary. If he does not buy the team it will leave the team further in limbo therefore leaving the franchise in dissaray. Because of the above mentioned, I don't think the sale will happen.

Posted by: millineumman | February 24, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

#30,david west played Lebron all the way in transition d, he was fully commited to LBJ. Bron dished it just as DWest was backing up under the rim,and outta his way. When AJ caught it DWest wasn't lookinig in his direction,and couldn't have chaaleged the dunk anyway. All that being said, sick/nasty dunk by AJ. Now thank THA KANG for spoonfeeding you your first poster sale.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | February 24, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Ted was on Comcast Sportsnet last night and his intentions and hopes are to still purchase the Wizards. He was asked what he thought about the way the team was dismantled and he reminded the sports caster that he owned 44% of the team now and not only knew what was going to happen but feels it was the right thing to do. He had interesting things to say and I like the guy. Very personable but not afraid to lower the boom if necessary.

Posted by: ivyleague | February 24, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ivyleague | February 24, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimwest2

ROFL, I thought pretty much the same thing! I was thinking "Damn, I haven't seen AJ throw one down in a long time!"

Posted by: ts35 | February 24, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, why weren't Jamison and Butler playing at that intensity level while they were here? It is not like Flip didn't try with these guys. Hell, they would not even hold their hands up on defense. I can even remember Flip sitting the whole starting unit because they weren't playing with intensity. I don't get it. Maybe they wanted the hell out of here and actually tanked it here in hopes of getting traded. They said one thing and did something completely different. I also thought it was interesting that Billups said he was happy for Flip that he finally got players to play the way he liked. I dunno. Long day :-)

Posted by: ivyleague | February 24, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@ivyleague,

Your question regarding Jamison and Butler is why Owners will attempt to remove Guaranteed contracts in the next CBA.

There are only a handful of NBA players that give you everything they have regardless of what their contract says.

Posted by: bozomoeman | February 24, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Jamison is playing with excitement because he's in Cleveland...home of Z and Lebron!

Glad your Wizards are cursed!!! couldn't hapen to a more deserving team. Karma (for still holdin' on to Z when you know he's comin' back home to C-town) . Z wouldn't be caught dead in any other uniform - least, the Wizards-than a CAVS uniform!

WELCOME HOME Z!

Posted by: irishcav | February 24, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@irishcav

my daughter has more BB sense than you...maybe you are a girl trying hard to understand...just a thought.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | February 24, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

irishcav, let's see what you have to say when you all LOSE again this year.Because Karma is a mutha, Lebron will not win a title for you with his holier than thou attitude. The basketball Gods will not allow it. You heard it here first. You will be bounced from the finals. Wait and see. I am pretty sure you wouldn't be on the happening blog trolling like you are now if there was something going on in clevetown.(voted one of the 10 worst places to live)

And bozomoeman, thanks. I guess that would explain it. That's okay because "The Replacements" are so much more exciting to watch. They leave it all out on the floor, win, lose or draw.

Posted by: ivyleague | February 24, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

oh and i meant no offense to the ladies who post here regularly...you all seem to have BB sense to me, irishacav is still learning...

Posted by: joerutgens72 | February 24, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

We must be patient with people like irishcav.
His town hasn't had a Champion in any major sport since 1964!
You cannot expect a fan from that town to be able to handle any level of success...or apparently to be able to use "Spell Check".

Posted by: bozomoeman | February 24, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

LOVE TO AGGRAVATE! Thank you all for reading my post. Glad you enjoyed it.

GO CAVS!

Posted by: irishcav | February 24, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

irishcav

I went to school in Ohio. Let me tell you that is one depressing state. You guys need to focus on getting jobs and creating money. When LBJ bails out next year, my guess is Cleveland might take over the number slot over Seattle, WA for the most suicides in a city... Cleveland on aper year basis!

Cavs suck, go Wizards and Caps!
Cleveland couldn't hold onto to an NHL team. What a joke of a city.

Posted by: Capsnskins1 | February 24, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse