Wizards beat Minnesota after trading Jamison to Cleveland

Wizards 108, Timberwolves 99

It was nearly two months ago that a team featuring Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison went to Minnesota and lost to a lousy Timberwolves team by 10 points. But when those same lousy Timberwolves came to Verizon Center on Wednesday, Arenas was serving a season-ending suspension, Butler was making his home debut for the Dallas Mavericks and Jamison found out that he had been dealt to Cleveland. But, when the night was over, a mismatched collection of leftovers, spare parts and throwaways pulled out an emotional win - and received a standing ovation from the fans.

Team President Ernie Grunfeld applied the final stick of dynamite to the Wizards on Wednesday, sending Jamison to the Cavaliers in a three-team deal that also included newly acquired Drew Gooden going to the Los Angeles Clippers. Jamison was already dressed and prepared to play when he Grunfeld informed him and the team about the trade.

"Antawn Jamison has been the embodiment of leadership on and off the court for this franchise for five-and-a-half seasons and we thank him for all he has done for the Wizards and the city of Washington," Grunfeld said in a statement. "Unfortunately, our on-court results have not met our expectations and we felt it was necessary to make changes to improve our future and our financial flexibility. This trade accomplished both of those objectives."

The Wizards didn't even enter the court until 10 minutes before tipoff, as Jamison headed to his car to leave Verizon Center for one last time.

"It's Extreme Makeover: Team Edition," Mike Miller said about the latest trade in a five-day span that included the Wizards sending starters Butler and Brendan Haywood to Dallas.

Andray Blatche, starting in place of Jamison, had the best performance of his career as he scored a career-high 33 points with 13 rebounds. And in a surprising turn of events, Blatche is now the longest-tenured Wizard, meaning that the franchise won't have any players remaining from the last team to win a playoff season. When informed of his seniority after joining the franchise as a 2005 second round pick, Blatche smiled, leaned back and shouted, "I'm the OG around here. Y'all better show me some respect."

Blatche then turned serious as he explained the reason for his breakthrough game. "I can't remember the last time I played 32 minutes and got 22 shots so it was a lot different for me but I stepped up to the job and I took care of my business and I had a lot of great guys around me chipping in," Blatche said. "I'm just knocking down the open shots when it's available and trying to be aggressive on the block...It was a good feeling. All my moves I have been practicing were working for me so I kept going to them and taking advantage."

The Wizards were feeling good about the victory, but they admitted that moving on without Jamison would be difficult the rest of the season. "Antawn is a big part of the organization, been a big part of a lot of the wins. No question about how much he is going to be missed. What a great guy in the locker room and a player as well," Miller said. "But the way this season has been, it's another notch in the belt."

An hour before the game, Coach Flip Saunders said that Gooden was not going to play and sounded a bit perturbed about the whole situation. Gooden had made it clear that he didn't want to play for the Wizards and he quickly got his wish. Jamison was listed as a probable starter on the scoreboard as Saunders spoke with reporters. But everything changed within a matter of minutes.

"If I hadn't been in the CBA and gone through that I probably would have gone crazy," Saunders said. "I told the guys beforehand, 'This doesn't change going through games.' I plan to stick around to compete and win. Everyone in the NBA is a good player. There are bad teams, but even bad teams have good players. What has to happen is you have to learn to play well together and sometimes the whole can be better than the parts and that has to be our marching orders on how we have to play."
The Wizards certainly had shot of energy from their newest pieces in Josh Howard, James Singleton and Quinton Ross. Late in the game, Singleton set a screen to free Miller for a three-pointer and remember commenting how rare it was to see a Wizard set an actual screen.

Howard scored 14 points in his Wizards debut and was elated about the win afterward. "It meant a lot, coming to a new organization and show them that I want to be here, plus stick it to the Mavs," he said. "I'm happy now, you don't have to worry about me saying nothing else about them now."

With Jamison, his former teammate in Dallas, gone, Howard has now become one of the elder statesmen on the Wizards. "I'm 29, so I'm still one of young guys," Howard said with a grin. "But yeah, I'm going to have to take on more a leadership role. I did it before in college [at Wake Forest]. I got to get it out of the attic and see how it goes."

When asked to describe the past few days of getting traded and watching the Wizards complete another trade shortly thereafter, Howard said, "It's a whirlwind. Of course everybody in America who keeps up with basketball should know this is a business. Whoever we got in, I don't know, but hopefully they'll come in and play as hard as him and help us win games. I wish them the best him and drew, but the focus is on us."

The Wizards actually got back Al Thornton, a player who was high on their draft board in 2007, from the Clippers. But the other important part of the deal was that they received a first-round draft pick - and saved nearly $3 million, which means that they should be absolved of the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas has a 15 percent trade kicker on the remainder of his $11.5 million expiring contract, but he isn't expected to play a game for the Wizards. Ilgauskas will likely be bought out and wait 30 days to return to Cleveland, the only team he has played for in 14 seasons.

But the fact that the Wizards are concerned about cutting costs and starting over was a surprising turn of events for this team, which started the year anticipating a return to the Eastern Conference elite. But chemistry problems, injuries and other distractions derailed those plans. Miller said no one could've told him that the Wizards were in store for such a disappointing season.

"I would've thought you were joking," Miller said. "If you have expectations and you don't meet those expectations, you are going to be moved."

Miller was then asked if he felt a little envious of Butler and Jamison for getting out. Miller cracked a smile and walked away. "I'll holla at you guys," he said

By Michael Lee  |  February 18, 2010; 12:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards agree to trade Antawn Jamison to Cavs [Update]
Next: Jamison "ecstatic" about move to Cleveland

Comments

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Posted by: Vicc | February 18, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

A necessary condition of the trade should be that Ilgauskas work for 30 days tutoring McGee on the finer points of being an NBA center.

Posted by: mugsybol | February 18, 2010 3:54 AM | Report abuse

Im gonna miss all those wizards who have left us this week. I dont care if we never won a championship or even a playoff round with that core. Im still gonna miss them all and their professionalism to the organization. Hope those guys have a great future, even if it is with the cavs

Posted by: bullets8890 | February 18, 2010 4:09 AM | Report abuse

end of an era... but IMO EG did the right thing and blew this up quickly... Most folks who have followed the Wiz for a while remember how long we were in the abyss of missed expectations because of Juwan's big contract...well EG saw the writing on the wall and made dramatic changes in one year...changes that could make us contenders next year with a little draft luck and some free agents. Good move (again) by one of the best in the biz, EG.

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | February 18, 2010 4:46 AM | Report abuse

Though it is highly unlikely, EG may not be done. With a little creativity, he could now trade for some dedent talent that have longer deals but less per annum and still stay under the cap this year and beyond.

No max type player is coming to D.C. so why not take advantage of the opportunity to add some needed talent by trading Miller, Howard or even Ilgauskas. A chance to speed up the rebuilding process if the right talent can be found, giving the other team some cap relief next year and beyond.

Posted by: rocky123 | February 18, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little stunned as well. But despite all the trades that have gone down, theore still is a $111 million "elephant" in the room to deal with. Somewhere in Philly Eddie Jordan is texting, "I told you it wasn't me."

Posted by: fiddeda | February 18, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

I am glad that EG has finally lit the fuse to blow this mess to kingdom come. The mixture of the Wizards team, as it was, would have never done anything to advance to the playoffs. After conversing with musicmanjr, I was convinced to watch last night’s game. What I saw was a team that played with a purpose and actually put forth an effort to play defense. JM is still raw but his 14 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 block shots speak volumes to his potential. The two “throw in players” looked impressive and I like the players we got for AJ (musicmanjr has always sang the praises of AT). AB really showed off, I hope he can keep it up. RF seems like he do not have a clue on how to handle the point guard position. Hopefully he is only a temporary fix. I like MM’s game and hope the Wizards plan on keeping him.

Posted by: jahjank | February 18, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards have become "The Island of Misfit Toys"-but I'm fine with it. I liked the scrappiness I saw last night. Everyone out there realizes the next 30 games are essentially an extended tryout for the Wiz or another team. It's all about Playing Time, and this crew is desperate for it. I was tired of seeing overpaid jump shooters fold in the fourth quarter. AJ never stopped fighting; but I think Caron had given up despite a big game here or there. I, too, am starting to think Grunfeld could be a survivor in all of this, as ironic as that would be.

Posted by: jweber1 | February 18, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure we'll still get our share of 'AB has a bad work ethic, he doesnt hustle, blah blah blah."

But.....

The bottom line is (and I have been adamant about this for a while now) AB is the most talented player on our team in terms of overall skill. I said this a while back and I included Gil. He can pass, score down low, shoot the mid range j , rebound, and even dribble a little bit when he has to.

With AJ gone, he should get the minutes and shots to hopefully shut the haters up.
The V Center was alive last night. Once they saw the team hustling, we got behind the players. I know Minnesota is not a good road team but we won without any contributions from 2 of our best scorers (Foye and Young). This team still has some talent. This is not our year but if we get lucky in the draft or get a good FA, we could be back quickly. Thornton has some skills, too.

Observations from the game:
Singleton's hustle was infectious. He's a taller, better shooting McGuire. Great pickup and energy guy. Miller finally got a little more aggressive on offense. His late 3's sealed it. AB cannot be stopped in the low block if one guy is guarding him. He commanded a dbl late in the game and it freed up other guys. We could have and should have been doing this all along.
JM got some decent hustle plays and followup rebounds/points. He gets pushed around still, though.
If the coach had let Al Jefferson play more minutes, he'd have had 40 on 75% shooting.

The future is not as bleak as it seemed.

I've been asking to get rid of our poor defensive forwards for 3 years now. CB and AJ are gone and we should be able to do some things on BOTH ends of the court now. Sucked that BTH had to go, too but that's the cost of getting rid of those dudes.

Posted by: original_mark | February 18, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

agree jweber1, this is now an environment where one can and will be out of here if that player does not prove worthy of keeping.

Noteworthy of saying, AJ didn't seem sad at all about leaving. the "I got a feeling" song, and big smile on his face. Not mad at him though, he always gave his best on and off the court for the org. and it's pretty messed up around here.

I never liked him as being the focal point of this team though. I though he should have been in the role player mode.

Got Al Thornton in the deal, that's a huge plus. Someone else had metioned the Wiz wanted to get him in the draft a few years ago.

And again, whomever is the GM going forward, there is no rule that says you have to sign a FA right away. If you can't get the one you want, wait until next year when (hopefully) the team is heading in the right direction with the addition of a productive draft.

Posted by: millineumman | February 18, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Blatche explained the reason for his breakthrough game. "I can't remember the last time I played 32 minutes and got 22 shots...

AB wasn't going too with AJ here and now AJ won't playing with LaBron...

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards have the privilege of paying Z about $6M to play for the Cavaliers. Wow!

Posted by: rickgonz | February 18, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Starting lineup should be...

RF PG
NY SG
AT SF
AB PF
JM C

see if these guys can play that way the new GM will know who to draft..

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

As I said the other day, sure looking more and more like Ted's calling the shots already. Can't believe Ernie would have taken the broom and firehose to the lockerroom with out the owner in waitings approval.

Right now the future on this roster is in Blatche and McGee. McGee still makes a ton of mistakes, but wow that kid's got hops and that basic timing as a shotblocker. That's the part of post play that can't be taught. The footwork and the strength will come with time in the gym and good coaching.

I like Miller, he's one of the last glue guys on the roster, but there could be an opportunity to make a move with his expiring deal. we'll find out before 3 if Ernie's got anything else up his sleeve.

Saunders is going to have his work cut out for him, but sometimes it's easier when all the veteran voices are gone. One thing's pretty clear, it's my way or the highway now. There's not a guy in that lockerroom that can go his own way because he's "beloved by the owner".
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | February 18, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the Wizards have the privilege of gaining $11M in cap space for next year (along with a young prospect and a draft pick).

They would have paid $6M anyway to players that would not really help them in the long run (even though I think highly of AJ - I wish him well).

Posted by: cannontl | February 18, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Am a little sad for Mike Miller. He came here thinking he was gonna be part of something big. Instead, he's the lone star (well along with Howard) on a rebuilding team. Oh well. At least he'll still get paid and get a chance to make this his team.

Posted by: tundey | February 18, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

@flohrtv: You are right. No more sacred cows in this lineup. Either produce or sit down. However, I am still not sure McGee is the real deal. I really really hope I am wrong but in the first 8 minutes, Al Jefferson basically took him to school. And Al is arguably not one of the premier centers in the league.

Posted by: tundey | February 18, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

AB cannot be stopped in the low block if one guy is guarding him.

Hey...let's not go that far. Even I know when he goes to the post he's doing the pump fake up and under move. Let's not make him Moses Malone already...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 18, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I thought I read a Michael Lee blog post recently that said the Wiz may want to try to keep Miller.

I hope so. He is one of the few players on this team I would want to keep for next year.

Posted by: cannontl | February 18, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

It's time for new beginnings. New owner and a new direction.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | February 18, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

@flohrtv,
It's good to read your posts again...You been missed.

Obviously there's no reason to get the warm and fuzzies after one game against the T'Wolves, but I think I have a man crush on James Singleton.

We haven't had a guy supply that much positive hustle and energy in years!
Maybe Popeye Jones?

Singleton reminds me of the kid out of Georgetown, Jerome Williams.

I'm really digging the Al Thornton pickup.
A prototypical small forward. Strong and explosive, will do most of his work 15 ft and in!

The last 30 games should be fun to watch. A bunch of open jobs on this team. A bunch of players in need of contracts.

Posted by: bozomoeman | February 18, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure they want to try and keep Miller. And they'll most likely fail in the attempt unless they seriously overpay him. Guys in his career-stage don't sign onto stage-1 rebuilding teams unless they have no better options. I think Miller will have better options.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

...and I might add a different organizational mindset. I'm eager to see what the future holds for the Wizards franchise.

Posted by: thecomedian1 | February 18, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I believe if Grunsfield would've made the necessary trades to continue to improve the team in the past 2 years, things could've been completely different. He decided to stay pat for 2 years without improving so now we see the consequences. I hope fans won't be too hard on McGee because he hardly ever got playing time and the TRUTH is, the Wizards aren't doing anything to make him a better player. This guy has ALOT of potential but without the assistance of a big man's coach, we're not tapping into his STRENGTHS. I hope with the change of the team, we can get a coach to work with McGee. Houston did it for Yao and Orlando with Dwight. I think it would've been in the best interest of the team for the past 2 years if they had sent McGee to the D-League. It would've definitely built his confidence.

Posted by: cdouglas2 | February 18, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | February 18, 2010 9:15 AM

I'm not sure he's the real deal yet either, but remember he is 22yrs old and hasnt played much at all. It's worth noting that in 9 seasons here, BTH had a double-double in less than 25mins played 3 times. Mcgee has already done that twice! He could very well be an upgrade at C sooner rather than later with a little luck

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

AB made some interesting postgame comments about how he had to fill AJs shoes. In scoring and rebounding? Nope. In keeping the lockerroom serious! He said AJ was the guy who kept it professional and didnt let players goof off all the time, and that now it was up to him [AB] to keep everyone in line.

And there I was thinking he was one of the goof offs...

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

McGee has great physical skills. His problems are mostly from the neck up. He plays almost entirely with his body and makes very little use of his head. Just being taller and able to outrun and outjump other guys may work in H.S. or a mid-level college program, but at the NBA level you've got to be able to think the game.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

its been one game. I wouldn't get too excited. If they're counting on 7 Day Dray to put up thirty and 10 every night it ain't gonna happen. I like him as a player but the match ups were too favorable for him last night. Love and Pechorov on defense? nuff said...

this team as presently constructed is pretty terrible. Wilbon has it right in his column. Bottom 5 team in the league officially now, whereas before it could've been argued they weren't because of their roster talent, even though they still always lost.

I'm curious to know how much actual cap space there will be this summer once Miller/Foye/Howard/etc have their contracts expire. Enough to sign a max level free agent and maybe keep a Howard or Miller? If so those players teamed with Arenas (he isn't going anywhere with that contract) and whomever is left here could be a .500 team. Maybe they get lucky with the draft lottery?? lol.. yea right... Les Boules...

Also - Mike Lee - your writing is horrendous. Mis-spellings, grammar issues, capitalizations, sentences plain not making any sense. Every blog entry seems to be missing an editor. Are you a professional??? or you just play one on the internet?

Posted by: unkonchus | February 18, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

He's 22yrs old and has only logged 1400 nba minutes...sky is the limit and I think the organization should expect him to be better than Haywood before his 25th birthday.

Last time we played Minny, bth did a great job on Al Jeff while last night Jeffereson abused Mcgee. But in that last game, BTH scored a whooping 2pts in 31mins. Whereas last night we actually had some offensive production at C...lo and behold we win.

Not blaming Haywood, rather the previous overall makeup of the team. Hopefully the days of starters who either dont defend at all or cant score at all are over

Posted by: divi3 | February 18, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The Wiz sucked with Eddie and without...but Eddie sucks too.

Philly was an up and coming team and now they are a a trainwreck...

Posted by: Redskins2Win | February 18, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"I'm curious to know how much actual cap space there will be this summer once Miller/Foye/Howard/etc have their contracts expire. Enough to sign a max level free agent and maybe keep a Howard or Miller? "

Strictly speaking, Howard's contract doesn't expire at the end of the season. He has a team option for next year. If the Wiz decline to exercise it he becomes a FA, in which case the odds of him re-signing here are pretty minimal. And you can pretty much forget about the Wizards signing a max level FA (even if they had the money, which they won't even come close to having).

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know Al Thorton's contract expiration. He has a good upside. Really enjoyed the game last night. The team seemed energized and passed better. Singleton looked like he had been playing with the Wiz all season with his enthusiam over the win. The defense even looked
better. JM showed his potential, but needs to play. MM is a keeper and maybe Josh Howard. We get a high pick and Cleveland's late first round pick could always be a winner. There is a lot of good players chosen late in the first round or even in the second like Gilbert, AB and JM. and David Lee was drafted 30th.

Posted by: Bailey51 | February 18, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Actually, except at the C position, the starting lineup isn't too bad.

1: Foye
2: Miller or Josh Howard
3: Howard or Thornton
4: Blatche
5: McGee

That leaves one of Miller, Howard, or Thornton first off the bench - not too bad.

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | February 18, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

For Bailey51:

I think Thornton is signed thru next season (10-11) and has a player option the year after that.

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | February 18, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

is there anyway wizards can put JM on a weight program. maybe that way he would have something to keep him down and will not try to block every shot and play some D AND STOP GETTING PUSH AROUND

Posted by: smithblood | February 18, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I think that lineup looks pretty lame. Nothing against any of those guys personally but the best players in this league win. The Wiz have 0 of the best players in this league. Who is their best player now? Where does he rank in the NBA?

what this team has is a roster full of role players. with only 2-3 being able to continually play big minutes for the likes of the Lakers or Cavs or Magic, Nuggets, etc... And those minutes would come off the bench, not as starters as they are here in DC.

so yea - there are some good players on this roster. But it's the NBA, they're all good players so its relative. The best players make the difference in games while all the other "good" players cancel each other out save for the once every 2 month stand out performance... i.e - Blatche last night... You're only as good as your best player a lot of times in this league.

they have cap flexibility at year end now but what does that mean? does that guarantee they sign one of the best free agent players in the league? hellz nah... are they def going to get a best possible outcome on their draft pick? and is that player going to pan out? the 30th or so pick from Cleveland is nice but there are more busts and nobodies at that slot than hidden gems.

this team is one big crap pile right now and an even bigger unknown for the future. all thats for certain is that they will be starting from scratch next year and for the rest of this season, free tickets will be easier to come by.

Posted by: unkonchus | February 18, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone on this board in touch with reality?

The Wiz were not very good with AJ, CB, and BH. (Sorry but DS needs to retire from pro ball. I liked his game, but he is done.) The Wiz need to win about 25 out of 30 games to make the 8th seed. It wasn't going to happen.

In any pro game, b\put 5 random guys on the floor and someone will produce some nice stats for your team box score. You can market the high scorer and you sell tickets. In the end, the wins give crediability to the stats. Miller and Howard are going to give you stats, but are they going to be here, are they marketable, and can they sell tickets?

If I'm General Mgr for the day, I'm trading Miller/Howard to get younger or get draft picks. Miller is not going to stay. Howard is not the character guy who you can use for marketing. Let there be no doubt about it. The young guys get all the PT, because, they are cheap, they will be here for awhile, and you need stats for marketing to sell tickets. They get a moral free pass because they are young guys playing a man's game and the Wiz are selling us on the future value.

Anybody awake yet? ok, now I'm going to watch American Idol and MD Terps basketball this season. I'll check back next year... maybe.

Posted by: EWE1 | February 18, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

^^^ Come on, it's a blog for a crying out loud. Look who's talking about capitalizations and grammar... lol

Posted by: TakinAWiz | February 18, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

^^^ Come on, it's a blog for a crying out loud. Look who's talking about capitalization and grammar... lol

Posted by: TakinAWiz | February 18, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I will be happy when this current crew play 500 ball the rest of the year.

They looked good last night sharing the ball & making the extra pass.

AB always gives me the warm & fuzzies. Wish he can turn the corner after these type of performances.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 18, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

tundey

Actually Jefferson is pretty good. He just plays on a bad team in the west. He was injured last year and is just getting back.

Posted by: ged0386 | February 18, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

smithblood

How long will it take for you to start demanding that the young leftovers be traded? Then we see them on sports center in a couple of years dunking on the wizards.

Posted by: ged0386 | February 18, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to see the comparison (bozoeman) of Singleton with Popeye Jones. I was thinking the same thing, noting that they BOTH played at Murray State in Kentucky.

Singleton is definitely worth keeping. He's fundamentally sound and isn't afraid to mix it up underneath. He was getting all of McGuire's minutes last night.

Posted by: zinger1 | February 18, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

i though thornton was a youngin, just in his third season...if so why is he listed as 27 years old on the wiz website?

Posted by: bbachrac | February 18, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I know it was just one game, and it was only the stinkin' T-wolves, but did you notice, after that poor start to the game:

- the energy and ball movement on offense? We haven't seen that in a while. The big three, even GA the supposed point guard, were all one man shows when they got the ball.

- the energy and quickness on defense? I saw a genuine effort for most of the game in this department. A rarity in these parts.

- several Wiz crashing the boards on the offensvie glass? I never could understand why this team immediately runs downcourt whenever one of their own takes a jumpshot.

- Wizards setting picks on regular basis and moving w/o the ball almost every time. Another rare siting.

These last 30 games or so could be more interesting that most people think.

Posted by: clfrdj | February 18, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I dont know why we just traded McGuire !!! I thought he was an atheletic young up and coming potential star with a low price tag. What kind of sense does it make to trade him for a 2011 2nd round draft pick ?????

Posted by: US-conscience | February 18, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

1st Wizard game I watch in a while and its good to see a team with a bunch of player with out a contract for next year and it the 1st time in a while I saw real hustle and defense.I like this and will go to a few of these games. Saunder said no one will be given nothing that they will have to earn it. it that what life is. it fine with me. let the new good time roll. PS this new team will make the playoff as long as there big men play big man ball and play the post. I,m sick and tired of all these 6'10" ball handler. go hard to the hole get foul and points. seven footer have no business shooting three or away from the basket. ( it the new style. no its punk ball. a player who don,t want to get hit)

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | February 18, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse