Wizards-Hawks postponed [UPDATED with ticket exchange info]

The Wizards' game against the Hawks has been postponed because of the blizzard in the D.C. area. They were scheduled to play at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Verizon Center. A future date has not been determined.

It is the first time that an NBA game was postponed because of weather since the Suns-Nuggets on Dec. 20, 2006 the Hornets-Bucks on Jan. 13, 2007. Icy conditions in Oklahoma City prohibited the Hornets from leaving for Milwaukee. The last time a game was postponed because of bad weather in the host city was the Suns-Nuggets on Dec. 20, 2006.

The Wizards were unable to leave Orlando after coming back from a 21-point deficit to beat the Magic, 92-91, on Friday. They planned on leaving early Saturday, with the hope of returning in time to host the game. But they are currently contemplating staying have decided to stay in Orlando one two more nights and fly to Charlotte Monday afternoon. The Wizards will play the Bobcats on Tuesday in their final game before the all-star break.

The Hawks didn't even attempt to fly to Washington after defeating the Chicago Bulls on Friday night.

Here is the official statement from the NBA:

NEW YORK, Feb. 6, 2010 - The National Basketball Association game scheduled for this evening between the Atlanta Hawks and the Washington Wizards at Verizon Center has been postponed due to severe weather conditions in the Washington, D.C. area.
As a result of those conditions, neither the Hawks nor Wizards were able to fly to Washington after their respective games last night. The date for the rescheduled game will be announced at a later time.

And the Wizards:

WASHINGTON, DC - Due to the inclement weather in and around the nation's capital, tonight's NBA game between the Washington Wizards and Atlanta Hawks at Verizon Center has been postponed.
As a result of the conditions, neither the Wizards nor Hawks were able to fly to Washington after their respective games last night. The date for the rescheduled game will be announced at a later time. Ticket exchange procedures will also be announced shortly.

Those who have tickets for the game can hold on to them and use them for the yet-to-be-scheduled game, which will be announced at a later date. They also have the option of exchanging the ticket for the Wizards' game against Minnesota on Feb. 17.

Wizards planholders can also exchange their unused tickets at the Verizon Center Box Office for the Minnesota game, or redeem their unused tickets for one of the pre-selected planholder exchange games listed in their planholder on-line guide.

The Wizards already had a ticket exchange from the game against the New York Knicks on Jan. 30. People who couldn't attend because of the weather can exchange those tickets for the Timberwolves game as well.

No service charges will be added to any of those tickets.

By Michael Lee  |  February 6, 2010; 11:38 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: With trade rumors swirling, Butler has best game
Next: Jamison headed to Miami. . .for Super Bowl

Comments

Common sense ultimately prevails.

Posted by: tgif11 | February 6, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

What about Georgetown? Are they playing?

Posted by: TJ1743 | February 6, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

DOY. Is Gene Wang out of his mind? Are the Wiz out of their mind? Why did you delete the blog posting from all of a couple hours ago about how this game was going to be played? Hiding stupidity perhaps?

Posted by: rbelleisle | February 6, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thmetcalf | February 6, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What about Georgetown? Are they playing?

Posted by: TJ1743 | February 6, 2010 12:05 PM

As Stacey Dales is saying, "Turn the lights out the Hoyas' are playing some ball."

The Hoya's are Shakin' and Bakin', they are shooting threes and slam dunking.

They are shredding number 2 ranked Nova'.

Go Hoya's.

LarryInClintonMD

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, the female commentator is Nancy Leiberman. Don't know why I thought it was Stacy.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

dang...was hoping to get moved down to the front rows....smart cancellation though, no way peeps should be flying in today

Posted by: divi3 | February 6, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

at least they wont lose.

Posted by: smc635 | February 6, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Next game against the Bobcats.
Wizzies probbly will play like their playing the Bobcats. Why can't they play like they play against the elite teams.
They hang with the Mavs, Celts, Cavs, Magic and get blown out by the Knicks, Wolves, Pistons, Grizzlys& Pacers.
Coach gotta get them up for "EVERY" game.
I would understand if they played poorly against everybody but if they played that hard against the bad teams they'd be near 500.

Posted by: VBFan | February 6, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Right you are VBFan. I am a big Wizards fan and don't usually get on their individual cases, but the facts you just laid out are getting more and more irritating to me, and I'm coming to the conclusion that it is plain and simple a disrespectful thing from the players and suffered by the fans. We deserve better than that, especially when we pay to attend games. And I've come to the conclusion that if that is their style, then the GM needs to start getting rid of the problem attitudes if we are to have a winning team again. Players can whine all they want about hating losing, but the fact is, they don't hate losing, and in fact they are losers. I wouldn't have thought they would suffer this season like this, but that is what losers do, they find ways to lose. Thank God Caron hit the last shot, but frankly, that was the exception, not the norm, for both Caron and the team. I would keep all the players, if they would just start showing enough interest (actions though, not just words).

Posted by: ragtop4spd | February 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I think we could be fine just keeping what we have... let Mike James and Crittenton walk this offseason, re-sign Haywood, Miller and Foye... start using McGee at PF, play more of Blatche and McGuire... get a top draft pick and use it this time.

Posted by: Darnell1 | February 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I think we could be fine just keeping what we have... .Posted by: Darnell1

Stop there please..... we will not be fine, the glass is not half full it's 100%
empty.

Posted by: dsquare | February 6, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Good thing the game's postponed. They always follow up a good win with a stinker.

Posted by: Dave381 | February 6, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

empty.
Posted by: dsquare | February 6, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I just think the glass is too big.

Posted by: VBFan | February 6, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

"We deserve better than that, especially when we pay to attend games"

Just curious -- how many games have you attended in the past two seasons?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 6, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

"Amtrak is still running, although on a reduced schedule: why can't they fly into EWR and take a train to DC? They could even take Metro to Verizon Center.Posted by: thmetcalf"

But who'd be there to watch them play? The local governments are all advising folks not to go out unless absolutely necessary. It's Georgetown's decision to play Villanova that's controversial.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 6, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Samson, not sure your point, but I'll give you the answer - last two seasons (this season and last), I've attended about 40 games, and that's up to this point in the season. Will be about 50+ by the end of the season. If you go to games and look around, you'll recognize that some of the season ticket holders are there most every game. Some people spend some serious money to be season ticket holders because we like the team, and up until this season, I didn't rag on the players, but this playing down to the opponent is getting old.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | February 6, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

wiz will not play good basketball against babcats.they have a match up problem against babcats.It is one of the best defensive team in NBA.

Posted by: gtefferra | February 6, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Boo-Yah. RICHMOND dismantles TEMPLE this afternoon.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 6, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

So just to be clear, I don't call this group "losers" lightly. I've attended about 150 to 180 games this decade, paying to attend for the majority of those games. Last year, I was fine suffering with the team even though there were still two all-stars playing, but I understood they got thrown for a loop and had to play some young players, and mold into a new team format. This season, they had the bench and a deep team overall, as well as a proven coach. At some point, the injury excuse has to end. We're not the only team that has experienced injuries. If you can't beat hard luck loser teams on a regular basis, then you are a hard luck loser team, until the attitude changes. Luckily for the players, they still make their millions, while phoning in performances like the Knicks 4th quarter.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | February 6, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Phil 3 times
Tor ?
Mil twice
GS
Sac
NY

And a lot of loses to teams they should beat.

I would say that makes them a bunch of losers.

Hope everyone is enjoying the snow...

Go Terps beat them Heels

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 6, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Any chance of that Heel Terp game being postponed to give my Heels a little mo' time to come around?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 7, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

"Samson, not sure your point,"

Point is, I'm just curious how many of the folks who post here are paying customers. Versus those who follow on TV or otherwise.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 7, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Paying customer:

Used to be, not right now.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 7, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I gave up my season ticket after the year the Wizards refused to go over the cap and had Mike O'koren and Phil Hubbard pratice with the team.

That showed me that Abe cared more about making money then he did about winning so I decided to spend my winters here in San Diego instaed.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 7, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Good question then. I was a paying customer by game or mini-plan mid to late 1970's (father paid), I completely took off the 80's and 90's regarding attendance, and then Verizon Center and my schedule made attendance much easier and I have attended (paid)on a regular basis since 2002. I'm nowhere near my threshold of where I would not pay to attend. We are all showing frustration, but it's still too good a a time live (and some of us are dedicated to the team enough) to even consider not going to the games.

Posted by: ragtop4spd | February 7, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

It's Super Sunday. WTF. Wake up people. Let's get this party rollin'.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 7, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Boo-Yah. RICHMOND dismantles TEMPLE this afternoon.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 6, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Congrats. That was really nice. Helps my Rams RPI, too! Since we beat you, the higher you go , the more it helps.

Made it to the ODU game and Larry Sanders took control in the second half.

Posted by: Blurred | February 7, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I've been curious how much collective impact the folks who post here have on the bottom line. What percent are season-ticket holders? How many watch regularly on TV? Or mainly follow the team through media accounts? I understand many in the crowd at typical game are using somebody else's tickets, like the boss or a buddy. Do we buy Wiz merchandise for ourselves or our kids?

I've also noticed how many regular posters spend much of the season out of the area and follow the club from a distance.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 7, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 7, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

No Chance...your Tar Heels players and the refs are already in town!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 7, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

SI.com conducted a poll of 190 current players as to which of their peers was most underrated. Joe Johnson of the Hawks came out on top. Others included John Salmons, Lamar Odom, Gerald Wallace (of course), Trevor Ariza, David Lee, Pau Gasol(!), and Andre Miller...

I like Ariza as an all-around player, but he's just not a good enough shooter to anchor an offense.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 7, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who thinks LeBron scoring 24 consecutive points against the Knicks is not a good thing? What were the rest of the Cavs doing?

He's a marvelous player, but I'm wondering if they won't have problems again in a playoff.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 7, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Hope the team can enjoy the win, the weather and the SuperBowl together. It will be one of the last few happy moments together for this team.

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 7, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtefferra | February 6, 2010 2:00 PM

Yeah, I know. Just pulling at straws 78.

Tarheels find grove in snowy Maryland.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 7, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Well folks, out here in Clinton, we got 32 inches of the white stuff. Since about 9 this morning I have been in and out the house, digging out my Chevy 4x4, and still some digging needs to be done.

Gotta get my Super Bowl meal on, the Tar Heels are playin the Terps, and Mike Wilbon is on 7 with the NBA.

Got the digital camera going and the cell phone camera, gotta catch those moments ya' kno'.

Happy Historical Snow Storm to everyone.

John Thompson lamented the fact that his alma' decided to play yesterday, but the Georgetown Hoya's turned in a game for the history books.

The Wizards, I'm told are meandering towards Charlotte if not already there, but they will have to bring there A Offensive game in Charlotte, or the Bobcats will kick their butts.

Happy SuperBowl fellow bloggers, maybe one day we'll have a Blogger Bowl...you just never know.

LarryInSnoweyClintonMD.