Wizards' Morning Brew: another loss, an op-ed by Arenas

During their three-game losing streak, the Boston Celtics had trouble closing teams out in the fourth quarter, particularly at Orlando last Thursday and at home against the Lakers on Sunday, when they blew an 11-point lead in the final nine minutes.

Apparently, all they needed was to face the Wizards, who again struggled in the fourth quarter and got outscored, 25-10, Monday in a 99-88 loss to Boston. Michael Lee was on hand for Washington's 31st loss of the season, which featured Antawn Jamison struggling mightily with his shot. As Mr. Lee points out in his postgame blog entry, the Wizards once again failed to get that third consecutive win.

Off the court, that was in fact Gilbert Arenas's name you saw on a Washington Post op-ed piece. He apologized for his recent actions and the article, which was posted Monday night, has already drawn some reaction.

As usual, game highlights courtesy of NBA.com below:

Around the League ...

Seven games on the schedule Monday. Of note was Kobe Bryant passing Jerry West as the Lakers' career scoring leader, though his 44 points were not enough to lift his team against the Memphis Grizzlies. That, and all the other highlights courtesy of NBA.com's Daily Zap:

By Ed Guzman  |  February 2, 2010; 9:45 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew  | Tags: Washington Wizards; NBA; Gilbert Arenas; Antawn Jamison; Flip Saunders; Antawn Jamison; Caron Butler
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celtics 99, Wizards 88
Next: Poll: Do you accept Arenas's apology?

Comments

Right now Arenas is doing what he has to do. His future actions will speak far louder than any words uttered with coaching from his image rehabilitation team. Time will tell...

Posted by: tgif11 | February 2, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Kalo - everytime I think you, Divi and I have FINALLY exposed Haywood for the 2nd stringer (third on many temas) that he truly is, someone pipes up about what a gem he is.

I keep vowing to lay off him, but I can't let the darkness stay in the eyes of his followers.

Then again, every game he has a couple opportunities that just lay there, waiting to be recognized as evidence of his mediocrity.

Posted by: Blurred | February 2, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Arenas who? Already forgot him. Sent to the dustheap that is John Williams, Kevin Duckworth, Pervis Ellison, "Hot" Rod Strickland and so on and so on.

Hopefully he will do something ON THE COURT that will jar my memory, but I fear it is too late and his great play of the 06-07 season will stay a distant memory.

Posted by: Blurred | February 2, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I have an idea...why don't we pick up Ralph Sampsons last 3 years of his contract?

Better yet, we can sign Antoine Walker (I hear he needs to be paid in cash only) and let him battle it out with Jamison and see who is right about yesterday's inane argument.

Posted by: Blurred | February 2, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I hear Shawn kemp is looking at another comeback.

Posted by: Blurred | February 2, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I must admit that I'm still in the tank for Agent Zero. I do hope this becomes a "rags to riches" story.
The Zards have no closer...

Regarding Brendan Todd Haywood, I don't know why he gets so much flak. Haywood is just finishing up a contract that paid him $6 Million in this season.
Thats great for his level of production.

And finally, my first criticism of Flip...
He should have gone back to Foye, Nick Young and Blatche much earlier in the fourth when it became apparent that none of the "vets" had any plans of passing the ball. How is it none of them even looked to get Miller shots with Ray Allen on him?

Posted by: bozomoeman | February 2, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

we can sign Antoine Walker (I hear he needs to be paid in cash only)...

Posted by: Blurred | February 2, 2010 10:11 AM

Funny, dude!

It's astonishing that a reasonably intelligent guy could make over $100 million in 12 years and wind up penniless. I guess I shouldn't be surprised any more about these things, but geez!

Posted by: tgif11 | February 2, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

The whole situation probably won't be so bad if Gil had hired a lawyer earlier and helped him drafted a letter like this.

Posted by: sagaliba | February 2, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

To me, the Arena op-ed piece is mostly just words. What would it take for me to think he is sincerely sorry? That's easy. Gil should seek an acceptable buy-out that does not sting the Wiz for every last cent. If the Wiz give him $30 or $40 million to walk away and start a new life with another team, then that's probably as fair as it is going to get. He would be doing us all a favor if he takes it. Then the Wiz can start to rebuild for a better day.

Gil will not be hurt too badly, since he can recover most of the lost contract money by striking a new deal with a new team. He will still be a millionaire many, many times over.

I wish Gil much success. Forget the role model stuff--I just hope he improves himself. If he wants DC fans' forgiveness, he certainly has it here. And I am glad he seems to realize now that guns and violence are not pranks or fun in any way, and certainly no way to resolve a dispute either.

Mentioning Mrs. Pollin was a nice touch in the op-ed, in view of Abe's strong stance against guns.

Posted by: EdDC | February 2, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

For all of you haters, the one thing Gilbert will not end up is penniless. He is not a frivoulus spender other than that party he had when he was twentyfive.

I don't get it. Most posters on here said he needed to apologize and then when he does, you don't want to accept it or believe it. Sometimes, it takes others longer to go through things. Time will tell whether or not he means what he says (which I believe he does) but he has to have that time. As for him being afraid of going to jail, hell, who wouldn't. But, he is finally facing up to the fallout from his actions. As for those who thinks he is dumb, go to the archives of his past blogs and you will see he is not as dumb as you think, he just had a sick sense of humor and took things to far. Now as he says, let him redeem himself in whatever manner his redemption manifests itself. He has taken the first step (may not have been when you all wanted) but he did it. So leave him the F alone!

Posted by: ivyleague | February 2, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

So leave him the F alone!

Posted by: ivyleague | February 2, 2010 10:39 AM

Maybe he should leave us the F alone and stop signing his name to words most likely written by others.
Talk is cheap!! Judge the man by his deeds. Fair F enough?

Posted by: artiesliver | February 2, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards need Arenas, Arenas needs the wizards AND the Wizards need Arenas.

Simple as that..trade butler and jamison. Bring in TMac.
10-11 starting lineup
PG Arenas
SG TMAC
SF Miller
PF Blatche
C Haywood

Posted by: crisco00786 | February 2, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Regarding Brendan Todd Haywood, I don't know why he gets so much flak"
----

right, but here's the thing, in the last 6mins of the game (haywood re-entered with the score 84-82) BTH's stats were:

0-0fg, 0-0ft, 0pts, 0 rebs, 0blks, 0 assists

Posted by: divi3 | February 2, 2010 10:42 AM

Posted by: divi3 | February 2, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred

My guess is Walker would beat Jamison out again. ;-/

Posted by: Firuz1 | February 2, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'm finally ready to hop onto the "Flog Flip" bandwagon. What on earth was he doing leaving Boykins in the game for the last 5 minutes? Earl has given us some good minutes this year - minutes and points we've needed from him - and I appreciate that. But, I am so tired of watching him dribble away the shot clock because evidently he thinks he's the only one who can score in the last seconds. I watched Miller, Butler and Jamieson all come off of screens last night with their hands ready to catch only to have the midget turn his back to them. Even if he's dribbling because he isn't tall enough to see who is open, he still needs to come out of the game. And, I guess he thinks he can run between the legs of the big guys when he drives among the trees and loses the ball. Again, I appreciate what he has contributed to the team this year, but he IS NOT the guy who should be handling the ball in the last 4-5 minutes of a game unless maybe it's a blowout. And, frankly, as much as I like AJ, Flip should have taken him out last night and inserted either Blatch or Young. Some nights, the ball just isn't going to go in the basket for a player and, if that's the case, give someone else an opportunity. And, unfortunately, AJ has a bad habit of losing focus when he doesn't get the calls he thinks he should get and last night the officiating in the 4th qtr was pretty bad. Brendan was right though; it's the Celtics. The calls just aren't going to be there against them and you need to just play through it.

Posted by: juliagraffam | February 2, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Talk is cheap!! Judge the man by his deeds. Fair F enough?

Most likely written by others? You act like he's some stupid HS dropout that can't read. Judge him by his deeds then. How much money have you donated to DC Public Schools?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 2, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Talk is cheap!! Judge the man by his deeds. Fair F enough?

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 2, 2010 11:09 AM

I didn't say he can't read. I said I don't think he wrote the piece. Now, that's my OPINION just like it's apparently your OPINION that he did.

How many guns have you taken to work?

Posted by: artiesliver | February 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

How many guns have you taken to work?

It's not my opinion that he did. It doesn't matter if he did. It's trivial. Females have opinions on things that don't matter. Either way it's an apology whether or not he sat down and wrote it by hand or someone else did. Who cares. Instead of wasting time on that...go do a damn good deed.

Judge someone on deeds? Who are you to judge anybody period?

Dude has given more money and time to "good deeds" than you. I'd guarantee that. It's not even a money thing. What good do you do?

All this self-righteousness is crazy on this board. I swear.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 2, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

How do you all know whether he wrote it or not. You are assuming he didn't and we all know what assuming makes you. (take out the last 5 letters) Leave the man alone already. Bottom line is this is a start for him. Whether he said it today or two weeks ago, he has apologized, now give him time to make amends and quit judging. I swear, I would love to see what lies beneath the surface of some of those who post here. I bet it is not too nice. Those who protest loudly usually has something sinister lurking beneath the surface of their own lives or they are just straight up hating.

Posted by: ivyleague | February 2, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU,

I've got news for you - people on this blog share and debate their views:
And believe it or not you do too (and apparently you're sexist about, based on your comment about females and their opinions).

We all judge and are judged everyday by people who we come in contact with. Arenas is a public figure (and has courted the public gaze quite steadfastly) and will therefore be judged by the public that has come to know him and become somewhat familiar with his writing style. Got it?

One more thing, Arenas has undoubtedly given more money to worthy causes than I have and I laud him for it, but it doesn't change the circumstances that he put himself in.

As far as the good I do, I, too, donate money to charities. I also take it a step further: I don't bring guns to work to intimidate/prank my co-workers.

Posted by: artiesliver | February 2, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Writing style doesn't matter. An informal blog against a release to the public are two completely different styles of writing. If you have an old Gilbert Arenas essay laying aroud. Fine. Speaking of writting styles....I haven't known formal professional writers to use terms like "youngsters" in releases. It's not about money. It's about time. What the hell do you do? Sit behind a screen a type about someone who has a mistake in comparison with many many many good deeds.

So if you "judging by his deeds" don't ignore the good to harp on the bad.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 2, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

So if you "judging by his deeds" don't ignore the good to harp on the bad.

Posted by: SDMDTSU

Funny. In your previous posts, you mentioned "money" both times. Make up your mind, wishy-washy (I won't stoop to your level and use stereotypical, sexist language and say you're acting like a female).

Arenas' release was about the "mistake" (I tend to see it as a felony) that he made (committed). That's why I posted my opinion.

Arenas will be judged by his deeds (that's past, present and future). Aren't we all?

Posted by: artiesliver | February 2, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow! The Wizards organization is trashed by yet another columnist...This one from Houston. Character. Commitment. Connection.

"I can, however, share something from a friend who is a long-time scout and front office guy. I had come over thinking Andre Iguodala would be a better get than Caron Butler. He strongly disagreed, arguing that neither is a guy that carries a team, but Iguodala has the contract of one. Butler has one more year left on his deal. He said Butler "isn't a good guy, he's a great guy." Most of all, he said Butler is a better fit, giving the Rockets shooting they desperately need and that would work well next season with Yao Ming.

On the other hand, it's tough to know how much to make of Butler's struggles this season and if he can shake off the years of being a Wiz. A change of scenery helps some guys. Others get stuck in that sort of mode when playing too long for a mess of a team such as the Wizards. It is a condition known as Clipperitis."

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | February 2, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Does that help you? Yes he donates money. I've also seen him do work in the community that isn't monetary. Sure call me a sexist. What ever makes you feel better.

Yeah he got charged with a felony. People have done worse. He did something stupid.

You said talk is cheap judge him by his deeds. His good far outweigh his bad.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 2, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, the Celtics had the edge at every position in the starting 5 and Foye's weaknesses as a PG were fully exposed by Rondo. The Wiz can trade Butler and Jamision, but they still will need a true PG to run the offense. Foye is best a 3rd guard off the bench, not as a starter. Don't understand how Flip could keep Jamision on the court when he was playing so poorly and hurting the team in the 4th quarter. Blatche had played well in the 3rd quarter and should have been put back in when the game was in the balance. AJ literally had 5 fouls in the 4th quarter and was 0 for 7.

Also, given the problems we were having generating any offense, I couldn't understand why Flip wouldn't have tried NY off the bench in the 4th to create some offense. Miller is a good all-around player, but isn't going to get his own shot which was what was needed in the 4th quarter when the Celtics clamped down on defense.

I've come to the conclusion that the current players just aren't a good fit for Flip's system OR he doesn't know how to coach them. Eddie was able to get this team to play above .500 ball in 2007-2008 with no depth because he played to the strengths of his core players.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 2, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

You said talk is cheap judge him by his deeds. His good far outweigh his bad.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | February 2, 2010 1:36 PM

I love how you change the subject when you get waxed.
I never said Arenas had done more bad than good or that he was a bad person. I said judge him by his deeds.
If you had posted your last post first, you could've saved yourself some embarrassment, man.

Posted by: artiesliver | February 2, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse