Blatche doubtful for tonight

Washington Wizards forward Andray Blatche is not likely to play in tonight's road game against the Indiana Pacers because of insubordination, Coach Flip Saunders said after his team lost to the Charlotte Bobcats, 95-86, Tuesday at Verizon Center.

Blatche was removed from the game for good after playing 7 minutes 31 seconds of the first quarter. Saunders said afterward he wanted to speak with Blatche about getting back on defense, but the player refused to discuss the matter.

"I wanted to talk to him about it, but he didn't want to hear it," Saunders said. "He thinks I yell at him because he takes bad shots. He's taken twice as many shots as anybody. I don't yell at too many guys for taking bad [shots]. I may tell them to go to the basket more instead of settling and those type of things, but you know what, that's my job. If you don't want to coached, then you're in the wrong spot or whatever."

Then, according to Saunders, when assistants attempted to talk to Blatche multiple times, he still declined to engage in a discussion. That prompted the benching and Saunders' tirade to the media following the Wizards' 12th consecutive loss, one short of tying the franchise record.

Blatche had left the locker room before it became open to the media. Teammates, meantime, were trying to get showered and dressed as quickly as possible to catch an 11 p.m. flight to Indiana, and none wanted to comment in detail about the incident.

"I'm not sure what went on," said Al Thornton, who made a tying three-pointer with 8.9 seconds to play to force overtime. "I really can't say."

With Blatche out, James Singleton took on a more significant role than usual. The reserve forward wound up playing 37 minutes and finished with nine points and seven rebounds.

"I have no idea what happened," Singleton said. "I don't think I was paying attention. I was on the court."

Singleton figures to continue to get more work, assuming Blatche does in fact miss tonight's game. More pressure also falls to center JaVale McGee, who had 14 points, 12 rebounds and 2 blocks before fouling out in overtime against Charlotte.

Center-forward Fabricio Oberto also may receive more playing time. Oberto played 12-plus minutes against the Bobcats and had one point and four rebounds.

"I would doubt it," Saunders said when asked if Blatche would play against the Pacers. "Right now I don't know, but I would doubt it."

By Gene Wang  |  March 24, 2010; 9:01 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saunders takes Blatche to task
Next: Gilbert Arenas's possible sentence, Andray Blatche's benching

Comments

Sit the guy for the max time you can. After the season is over trade him for what you can get. He's been poisoned.

Posted by: cls7102 | March 24, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

If there isn't any relationship between Blatche and the coaches where he feels the need to converse with them when pondered, then Yeah, he needs to move on.

Suspend him for the rest of the season. Cut him. Let him go.

Remove all obstacles that are not on board with the coaching. We don't want anything or anyone in Flip's way. We are about winning here.

We could care less about young, knuckelheaded, amateurish, wanna be an NBA star, players.

Give Flip all that he requires. The coach is always right.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 24, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

If this account is true, this incident goes to a different level.

The Saunders bashers will have to come up with something new for this one.

Jamison and the veterans three years ago complained about the attitude of the young players. The vets couldn't get through to them.

They didn't listen to Eddie Jordan. They didn't listen to Tapscott. They didn't listen to the veterans. They didn't listen to their peers.

They didn't listen. Period.

But all of a sudden some folks think it's Saunders fault?

That might have some credibility if we didn't have a record of this going back the past three years.

Posted by: SteveMG | March 24, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I expect the fire sale sign to go up as soon as the season is done. Everything must go. This team needs (another) total makeover in locker room culture, and the best way to ensure that happens is to remove any trace of holdover from the previous one.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 24, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards are now, in effect, an expansion team. There is no such thing as The Washington Wizards. It's a bunch of angry people waiting for the season to end. Whoever ends up owning this team will have an arena, some jerseys, an NBA franchise, a few contracts, and that's about it.

Posted by: jweber1 | March 24, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Why does everyone act like Coaches are cool? I hated some of my Coaches in HS and I wish I could tell them to get the hell out my face. Sometimes, the players dont like the coach and its genuine. Its not that the player is bad. We may start to hear that all the players have a problem with him, just like they started to do in Detroit. I heard him & Billups use to fight alot

Posted by: dlts20 | March 24, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Right. Doc Rivers is smarter than that.

Here you have a young player recovering from a weak ankle that everyone knows that he has and the coach is hollering at him to get back on defense.

What would you think if you were the player? Maybe Flip has a thing for pain.

The ultimate in insensitivity. You folks that are standing up for Flip should really look at the situation for what it is.

Insubordination my donkey, more like insensitivity on the coaches part.

"Hey Blatche, I know you got a bad ankle but you got to get your ass back on defense."

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 24, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"Insubordination my donkey, more like insensitivity on the coaches part."

Yeah, we need more sensitive coaches.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 24, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 24, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Agree...Ernie and Flip should be the first to go!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 24, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

dlts20,

It doesn't matter whether or not the coach is "cool." Coaches and players don't have to love each other, but they have to work together and understand who has what responsibilities. Blatche's responsibility is to play. He abandoned that responsibility and quit on his teammates because he was in a snit over the coach criticizing him.

"And I know for sure when Kevin Garnett was hobbling up and down the floor for the Boston Celtics on his bad knee, I know, I just know, that Doc Rivers was laying into Garnett for not getting back on Defense."

Putting aside the blindingly obvious fact that Blatche ain't KG . . . Rivers didn't have to lay into Garnett for not getting back on defense, because Garnett put everything he had into trying to do just that. Did his injury hamper his physical ability? Sure. But it didn't hamper his effort. Blatche's effort is questionable even when he's healthy.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 24, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

As I mentioned last night, Flip seems to continually diss the players in the media but rarely (if ever) offer praise. I realize the players are payed well to play and should take what comes with it but a little praise every now and then would be nice. And please Flip just stop the bashing!

That being said, Dre should have not thrown his teammates under the bus like that.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 24, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 24, 2010 9:36 AM

Well how many fire sales do you want to have? We just had one.

New way to build a franchise, just keep having fire sales. Great.

And by the way, there is really only two holdovers from the last fire sale.

Blatche and Young. Cut Them! Cut Them!

Then we will really see the genious in Flip's coaching.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 24, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

This is shocking, isn't it? Blatche didn't act like this under Jordan or Tapscott.

Nope. He was totally coachable. His teammates loved him (they never complained) and he was just the perfect player.

Cue Twilight Zone theme.

Posted by: SteveMG | March 24, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

blatche is if nothing else a direct product of the Wizards' "system." A quitter...

Posted by: live1 | March 24, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

That's the thing about rebuilding after a fire. Even after you get rid of the obviously scorched furniture, you may still need to worry rotting timber behind the walls and under the floor from residual water damage. Sometimes it's best to just bulldoze the whole thing ad lay a new foundation.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 24, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of wood, you might want to see a doctor about your perpetual stiffy for Blatche.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 24, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Let the Andre Blatche bashing begins!

Posted by: Dave381 | March 24, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

So much for "7 Day Dray".

Gonna be interesting how this plays our.
Will Blatche apologize to his teammates & fans?
Will Flip suspend him?
Will they kiss and make up?

Posted by: VBFan | March 24, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Problem is if you get rid of Blatche you set yourself back another 2 or 3 years With an already frustrated fan base. You will be selling at a discount because of his issues and will be giving up on a possible top 5 PF which don't grow on trees. I say give him one more year to grow up and if he still doesn't than trade him. He has too much untapped potential to sell low on.

Posted by: Wizterps | March 24, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Dude. When someone plays like an all star for 16 games they earn the right to be a diva.

::rolls eyes::

Posted by: crs-1 | March 24, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I beg to differ, what games are you reffering too after the allstar break when Blatche started his run that they did not win?

I seem to recall that they won a few of them.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 24, 2010 9:11 AM |

I'm referring to the past 11 games. He had a nice stretch yeah, but he probably read Wilbon's column praising him as plaing at a Garnett-like level, and felt he was reaching that. He's averaging 12 ppg. He's scoring at a nice clip since the break because he's one of the only guys on the team that can creat his own shot.
Def. want to keep the guy, his contract is too good to just trade away. But he needs to grow up, too many excuses.

Posted by: saltine182 | March 24, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Lighten up everyone. Blatche is an excellent young player who doesn't get it entirely. Saunders is doing the tough love thing. Lets see how this plays out over the next few games.

Posted by: delrayAlex | March 24, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 24, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

If Blatche's ankle was bad enough that he couldn't do something as basic as get back on D, then he shouldn't have been out there anyway, and Saunders was right to pull him. If Blatche's ankle wasn't that bad, then he should've gotten his a$$ back on defense. No excuses.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 24, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"Flip has been criticized throughout his coaching career about developing young players. Then Blatche (and others) watched for three months as he gave the half-assed effort of some of our veterans with little or no repercussions. They've been criticized frequently in public by their coach and the losing is taking its toll.

I'm not saying Blatche was in the right but I do understand where he was coming from. I refuse to believe that he was quitting on his teammates but rather that he had just had enough of an earful from Flip and just didn't want to hear it anymore. I don't think Flip was lying when he said Blatche told him he didn't want to play - that was just Flip's interpretation of whatever it was the Blatche actually said.

I was sitting straight sideways from Blatche last night in the lower level and pretty much every time one of the players came off the court, Blatche was fist-bumping them or giving them five. I certainly don't think his teammates look all that down on him since a number of them look like they kept trying to cheer him up.

Blatche certainly needs to grow up and be more of a professional but I've seen enough of Flip at this point to think he's a mediocre NBA coach who was lucky to have a great player working for him in Minnesota. Garnett was a self starter who was a coaches dream but if I hear Flip refer one more time to how Garnett did things as if that was the standard that anyone should reasonably expect from all of their players I'm going to want to shoot him (and I'm sure the players are tired of hearing about Garnett).

This just sucks that the ONLY ray of sunshine in this abysmal season is now being sabotaged by the dysfunctional relationship between the player and the coach."

Thanks jimij! I hope you don't mind me re-posting this here, I agree with your sentiments %100.

Posted by: closg | March 24, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Well, this thing with Blatche and the coaches isn't repairable. Trust me it isn't. Blatche and Young have to be cut, suspended and then traded when the season ends.

As long as Flip is the coach, it has to be done his way and Blatche and Young are not on board. There may be others that we don't know of yet.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 24, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I can just imagine how those seven coaches that signed on with Flip feel about now.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 24, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I bet Wes Unseld Jr. is saying, "Yawl can't blame me and my daddy for this crap no more. Hah! Hah!"

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 24, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

How did we wind up with all these divas and drama queens? Looks to me like the Wizards could use some toughening up and discipline. Is there an NBA boot camp we could send them to? Or maybe we could bring in Marty Schottenheimer to run training camp? Jeez.

Posted by: qball43 | March 24, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: closg | March 24, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

As I recall, it was Blatche who started the comparisons between himself and Garnett, stating that he should have been taken in the first round like KG was, instead of in the second. Wouldn't surprise me if he tried to pattern himself after Garnett, which would make Saunders' comparison totally appropriate.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 24, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"Garnett was a self starter who was a coaches dream but if I hear Flip refer one more time to how Garnett did things as if that was the standard that anyone should reasonably expect from all of their players I'm going to want to shoot him (and I'm sure the players are tired of hearing about Garnett)."

Except Garnett is supposedly the player Blatche has always idolized and wanted to pattern himself after. If that's really the case, then it's perfectly legit for Saunders to hold Blatche up to that standard.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 24, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

it's lame as hell how flip always falls back on "when i had KG" and then even when AB schooled Garnett....Saunders went out of his way to publicly dog AB while throwing praise to a gimped up KG who couldnt score a single FG with Dray guarding him.

guarantee that episode helped poison their relationship

Posted by: divi3 | March 24, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

how the story changes. now It's not that Flip said " listen to me or you can sit the rest of the game" it's "If you don't want to coached, then you're in the wrong spot or whatever." LMAO

Oh wait did Andray refuse to re-enter the game or did it go down like this -assistants attempted to talk to Blatche multiple times, he still declined to engage in a discussion. That prompted the benching and Saunders' tirade -

this is what's reported the next day after Flip totally rags on AB for quitting on the team cuz he doesn't wanna play D. Weren't some of yall crucifying Gil for changing his story?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 24, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

since when did the wiz start benching players for not playing D??????????

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 24, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

16 games of better than average play
vs.
5 years of…poor conditioning, poor effort, poor attitude, poor shot selection, poor defense, strong partying, strong hooker activity, strong legal problems

Oh yeah…this is a player to build around.

Run him out on a rail.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | March 24, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@ dlts20:
I didn't like all of my coaches all the time either, but I would never let my team mates down by refusing to play or do what was in the best interest of us being successful. I like Blatche, but I gotta admit, this doesn't make him look good at all. especially since 2 forwards filed out last night...his team mates needed him and he turned his back on them.

Posted by: DsturbdCitizn | March 24, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Larry,

You are nothing if not funny. I love how you spin your fantasy yarns that make absolutely no sense except to you. Join us in the real world whenever you feel like it.

As far as Blatche is concerned, he was being insubordinate and quit on his team, period. End of story. He should be punished and we'll have to see how this plays out as far as his career here is concerned. If it's a sign of things to come (imagine his attitude with a $60 million contract extension), then we might be wise to trade him this summer when his value might be at an all-time high. Whomever mentioned that he might be at an all-time low value wise is absolutely nuts. A 23-year-old big showing flashes of all-star potential finally is not at an all-time low in trade value ever. I don't care what he does short of bringing guns into the locker room or murdering someone. No way!

I can't help but think that in 16 short games things have already gone to his head. It being as mushy as it is. Then a fanzine calls him up and talks to him about being on the all underpaid team and you get this a short time later. Fantastic!

By the way, he sure as hell is not hurt when it comes to getting into the offensive sets and getting his shots. But, then he has to turn around and play defense which he probably sees as beneath him already. I agree this might be leftovers from the players/culture that just left, but it's got to stop. Grow up Blatche!

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 24, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and stop questioning FS's airing this to the media. What was he supposed to do? Lie about why the best player on the team did not play the rest of the game to the media??? Please. I believe they once covered up a couple of things for GA and look where that got them. You call him out publicly and let the player deal with what he created in order to hopefully give him a chance to grow through adversity and admit a mistake. Or, perhaps, reveal his true colors as a immature young rich punk who doesn't get it still.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 24, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

it just keeps getting worse

Posted by: bford1kb | March 24, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"How did we wind up with all these divas and drama queens?"

NBA culture--young players follow the lead of the "star" player.

Posted by: fansincebullets | March 24, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Can't the Wizards still bring in a big man from the D League on a 10-day contract -- somebody who can rebound and play defense at least? Dwayne Jones. Rod Benson!

Dre will realize how good he has it when he starts to worry about being replaced.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 24, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Dray screwed up and Flip has been terrible this season.

Both will be here next year, and talk of suspending him for the season or railroading him out of town is silly talk from would be "old school" types. No offense intended.

Posted by: divi3 | March 24, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I'd take 2 more seasons watching Jamison over 5-8 seasons of Blatche. I simply don't want to root for another "me first" player, and will care less when he's gone.

Posted by: sorry2say | March 24, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Flip has NEVER missed a chance to dog AB in public. Calling him a "turnover machine" etc, while only occasionally mentioning he's played well.

That's fine, and there is nothing wrong with the tough love approach out of a guy you have high hopes for. BUT...the great ones (coaches) get the best out of each player based on the individual player's psyche.

That said, Dray is in no position to believe he's earned the level of respect that garners any treatment other than whatever the coach wants to dish at you

Posted by: divi3 | March 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

People..people...most of you all are C-R-A-Z-Y. Flip don't have the players to win anything with "his system" and Blatche was doing okay in the game. Why get on him about playing defense when Jamison never played "D" and 6' guys would easily score on him. Andre is a talent that shouldn't have been treat in that manner by the man with the right name "Flip" because Flip is jealous of the star of the team. Andre plays his butt off and get benched for B.S. while Miller is like a puppy on a leash doing almost nothing out there. Foyle have lost his shot and Flip had a %%%%%%%up group of players in at the end. Where was Livingston when the "game" was on the line???? Flip don't have a Garnett, Larry Brown don't have a superstar and these coaches are subpar. Mike Brown and Jackson have superstars and these teams are thriving at the top of the league. Andre didn't throw anyone under the bus, Flip threw the players and fans under the bus last night.....he couldn't make a statement if his life depended on it....what was the Pollins thinking of to bring this idiot to D.C.?????

Posted by: gman54 | March 24, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

What did our veterans do here this season...NOTHING....HAPPY TRAILS...THEY ARE GOOD SUPPORTERS ON OTHER TEAMS.

Posted by: gman54 | March 24, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards are nothing else, if not entertaining -- although lately its been a lot more like a reality show than basketball.

Seriously though, why not bring in another D League guy? I think the rules allow it. Make no mistake, I'm not saying bench Blatche, much less trade him. Just bring in another big man to see what he's got. If the need is a power forward with some range to his shot, there's Brian Butch -- 6-11, 240, shooting 36% from 3-point range, averaging a double-double (17.6/11.5).

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Blatche is a good player. When he leaves the Wizards he will shine.(dont the always)
I'm glad some of you IDOIT FANS don't own the team.

It's like 6 teams in the NBA that have a chance of winning the title. The rest in the league don't stand a chance. Too many teams not enough talent. Sure so and so did great in college but this is not college. Guys do two years and leave school before they know how to play the game. THIS IS KILLING THE NBA!
Why do you thank Northern Iowa is still hanging around because North Carolina lost four players to the NBA.
A lot of thoes guys that came out early are sitting on the bench and unless they figure the Pro game out they will be out of the league because another kid will be coming out after two years.

Wizard problem is they can't buy lebron don't even have money to try. There best player maybe going to Jail. Imagine Lebron and Gilbert on the same team.

Blatche aint the problem look at the organization.

Posted by: shamken | March 24, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama

Good analogy!

Posted by: thecomedian1 | March 24, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 24, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more. Flip has a HUGE ego, and constantly airs out the team's dirty laundry to the media. It's very surprising from a veteran coach. You usually think it's the players that have this problem and can't keep things in house, but this season Flip has done this repeatedly.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 24, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 24, 2010 10:33 AM

Larry i understand what you are saying about Andray but where is Young coming from if anyone has the right to complain it is Nick. Yet i still havent heard Nick complain. He is the one that is being pulled out almost every game. Yet at every post game interview he is agreeing with Flip. i think people dont give Nick enough credit.

Posted by: BlackHibachi | March 24, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 24, 2010 10:25 AM
_________________________________

Beg to differ. You want players who will try to play with pain. EVERYBODY is hurt by now, you couldn't field a team if you only went with 100% healthy players. If the player says he can go, he usually goes. But if you're playing hurt, you at least want respect for doing so. If you're gimpy on a bum ankle and the coach gets on you for not getting back fast enough on D, you're not going to push yourself for him and neither is anyone else. I still think Flip is in the wrong on this one. And he still hasn't even allowed that AB was at less than 100%.

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 24, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Don't see the Bobcats having any interest in Blatche. With Tyrus Thomas and Tyson Chandler on board, they've already met their quota of soft, underachieving, effort-deficient big men.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 24, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Kal, can you really still call Blatche underachieving? I mean the guy has been putting up KG numbers since the break, and has a good shot at the Most Improved Player award. This dust up with Flip will be forgotten in a week, and Andray will be back to putting up 23, 24 pts per game and 9 or 10 boards.

And he'll certainly be a Wizard next year...that part is not even debatable.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 24, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Blatche is a crappy person and a decent baller....the Wiz would be best served to get yet another with "character issues" off the team and trade him while he has some value.

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | March 24, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I called for the Blatche experiment to end last year. I've watched his kid. he has not worked on his body since he has been in the league. he still has the chest and shoulders of a 12 year old. He's a legit 6-10 if not 6-11 that shoot jumpers and reverse layups! he has no solid move in the post and is quickly fizzling now that teams prepare for him. he has no heart and no character. that's why you let these type goes go out to pasture.

I'll admit he showed me some flashes this year, but the guy's game is actually weak and he does not work hard! I bet to a man in that locker room, no one is actually surprised he essentially quit on the team last night. he's quit on them all along by not preparing himself to be a better player. That's why Butler and Jamison were so critical of him. the Wiz have serious character issues on that roster.

Posted by: oknow1 | March 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

This season is not on FS in the least. No coach could have done anything about the chemistry problems that plagued the start of the season to go along with GA's rust, then the OK Corral incident, and now a talentless team with one budding young star who already has a massive ego problem in a matter of 16 games. Please. Get a clue! I feel sorry for him. Sure this is not what he signed up for, but he too gets paid plenty so hard to feel that bad for him.

As far as him publicly admonishing players, he has done so when necessary, but he's also praised the team and players as well. I think this is a classic case of selective memory in order to back a faulty opinion.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 24, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

oknow1,

I mostly agree with you except that he has shown very solid consistent post moves recently. In fact, he has been doing the best Olajuwon impersonation since Olajuwon. His version of the "dream shake" has been so effective he often does it 3/4 plays in a row without being stopped. I think he is/was building a solid base in which to branch out into even more moves. The fakes and hesitations need to be offset by quicker direct moves at times to make the others more effective over the long haul, IMO. But, to say he has no moves is not correct.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 24, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

KG wishes he could have AB's numbers now. By the way AB had 2 blocks in 7 minutes. He must have gotten back on defence a little bit.

Posted by: morefromLA | March 24, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Couple of things.
1st Blatche(dont know him as a player, only seen him play a few times, but was not impressed) needs to listen to his coach, doesnt matter who the coach is, he plays for a team, that team has a coach the team needs to listen to the coach. Blatche needs to listen even if he does not hear, he is a professional that gets paid well, and part of his job is playing the game the coach coaches. Period. If he cant follow along I say get rid of him, problems like this just make everything bad for everyone, and the Wiz have enough issues already.
2nd Flip is not a good coach. As a coach it is your job to get what you can from your players and you do that the best way you know how. I am not a Flip fan, I watched him in Minnesota and he seems to have no understanding of his players or how to handle them. He has a system and wants players to adjust to that rather than using the talent he has in the best way possible within his system. He is far too qucik to blame anyone and everyone but himself for any short comings. Players will never respect that. I say get rid of Flip as well. This teams needs a new outlook from the coach to the bench.

Posted by: Valnastakkur | March 24, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Three more days on Alonzo Gee's second 10-day contract. If he gets signed for the rest of the season, we will enter the Gee-Wiz era.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 24, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse