Bog: Andray Blatche disputes Flip Saunders's account

On his DC Sports Bog, Dan Steinberg summarizes Andray Blatche's interview today on 106.7 The Fan's Mike Wise Show.

Among the priceless quotes from Blatche:

"I mean, there can't be any disciplinary [action] out of this because to me, I don't feel I did nothing wrong. I never said I don't want to play, so there can't be no discipline or nothing. This is just something we're going through right now. I'm looking at it as a misunderstanding. And the only reason it's frustrating to me right now is for what [Coach Flip Saunders] said about me in the papers and after the game."

Steinberg also chronicled Blatche's activities during yesterday's game in pictures. Saunders benched him after he played just 7 minutes 31 seconds, initially to discuss Blatche not getting back on defense. But Saunders said also Blatche refused to listen to the coaching staff.

By Alexa Steele  |  March 24, 2010; 3:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas's possible sentence, Andray Blatche's benching
Next: Blatche will not be suspended, talks about 'misunderstanding'

Comments

I was at the game. Blatche's comments reflect EXACTLY what I witnessed, sitting center court, five rows back, with a perfect view of the court, the bench and the coaches. NO ONE, let alone THREE coaches approached Blatche during the game to talk to him. Blatche, from bench, cheered his teammates; had a heat pack to keep himself warm, and DID join the huddle during timeouts. It was obvious Flip was freezing Blatche out; how enthusiastic would you like him to be?

This is not the first time Flip has called out Blatche on TV. It's inappropriate, juvenile, and it's getting old. You're the coach, Flip. Stop acting like a baby and start acting like a man. Settle internal differences privately. Is there any good reason for the entire blogosphere to know about this situation? What could have been handled as a simple misunderstanding has been turned into a cataclysmic event.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that Flip had a migraine this morning and couldn't attend the team meeting? If I KNEW I held the moral high ground about something, wild horses couldn't keep me away.

Move on. Apologize to each other for trying to resolve an issue in the press; sing Kumbaya and play basketball -- with Blatche in the lineup.

The season's been a nightmare, but Flip has contributed to the horror.

Posted by: Fief1 | March 24, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Andray needs to grow up. He is finally getting mins and he is acting like he is a 10 time allstar. yes its not all your fault but grow up its part of the game

Posted by: BlackHibachi | March 24, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Sources say that Blatche will play tonight so that means 1 of 2 things. 1 is either Blatche is telling the truth and or there was a misunderstanding.

2 is what I wrote earlier in that this was still something that has been blown up and is not a big deal. Its just a little spat between a coach & player. People & coach/players fight and makeup all the time. I dont think this is the huge deal people make it out to be and wont even be something that people think about a week from now

Posted by: dlts20 | March 24, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

You're the coach, Flip. Stop acting like a baby and start acting like a man.

Posted by: Fief1 | March 24, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Fief1,

That would mean he would have to admit he was part of the problem this year?

In this organization it's all about passing the buck.

The players blame it on the coach.

The coach blames it on the players he has.

The GM blames a dead man.

The organization blames it on bad luck and injuries.

Maybe it's a combo of all of the above?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 24, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

If AB plays tonight, there's no way he refused to re-enter the game.

And his comments about "there cant be no discipline or nothing" are absurd and indicative of an Arenas doesnt-know-when-to-shut-up syndrome

Posted by: divi3 | March 24, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

First off, what about that quote is "priceless"? That word is becoming meaningless. It's not "classic" either.

Secondly, there's conflict everywhere. See below for your boy Haywood:

DALLAS -- Center Brendan Haywood came off the bench for the first time since making his Dallas Mavericks debut, and he didn't seem happy about his reserve role in the team's victory against the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday night.

"I just work here," Haywood said after the Mavericks' 106-96 victory. Coach Rick Carlisle said he made the decision to start Erick Dampier because Dampier had played well against All-Star center Chris Kaman earlier in the season. Carlisle also said his starting center could vary each night. "They are a team," Carlisle said of Dampier and Haywood.

Haywood said he didn't use his reserve role as a motivational spark.
"Not really," the usually loquacious Haywood said after a long pause, before repeating, "I just work here."
Haywood, who came to the Mavericks as part of a seven-player trade with the Washington Wizards during the All-Star break, made it clear earlier this week that he's not interested in starting a controversy over playing time.
Dampier missed 12 games with an open dislocation of his right middle finger, suffered during the first game back from the All-Star break. Haywood had kept the starting job after Dampier's return -- until Tuesday night.

"I'm not fighting for minutes," Haywood said after Monday's practice. "We're fighting for a championship.
"Losing teams have competitions between players for playing time. That's what we were doing in D.C. That's losing basketball. We're competing to win a championship. It comes down to, if I'm bringing it, [Dampier's] going to support me. If he's bringing it, I'm going to support him."

Haywood got into three fights with ex-Wizards teammate Etan Thomas while they were competing for playing time. Haywood and Dampier have developed a friendly relationship.

"Coach dictates the minutes," Haywood said Monday. "That's his job. In Washington, [coach Eddie Jordan] made it known it was an open competition. This isn't a competition.

"[Jordan] felt like that competition fueled the team. It was actually terrible for the team. This is more along the lines of, whoever is playing the best, put him in the game and let's try to get something done."

Posted by: Urnesto | March 24, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

man, AB just dynamiting bridges today:

Did he hear Saunders say how coaches are never wrong?

"He said that in the meeting after the game. Coaches are never wrong. And that's the problem. That's the problem right there. I mean, as a man, everybody makes mistakes. But as a man, you have to learn how to apologize, and therefore he needs to apologize, because he was wrong, because I never said that."

"To me, I think this will all go away if I receive an apology, because to abuse my name like that, that's disrespectful and that's hurtful. And you want me to play for you after you made all these stories about me in the paper."

Did he quit on his teammates?

"Honestly, I don't blame people for saying that, but if anybody was at the game that sits front row, that sits second or third row, they would see I was sitting on the bench, I had a heat pack, getting ready to play. I never said that. I mean, look, as a media job, how about the media do this, how baout the media get the three coaches that [supposedly] came to me and say something. Have the three coaches come out and say, 'Yeah, I was one of the coaches that said something to him.' And I would guarantee that you could not find three. You can't find one. Have the media do that....

Posted by: divi3 | March 24, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"I don't feel I did nothing wrong" Blatche on what happened last night.
"I don't feel I did nothing wrong" Arenas on bringing guns to the locker room.

Posted by: jefferu | March 24, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

If the assistants don't step up and verify what Flip said at his presser last night, then Flip got his signals crossed about them asking Blatche to come back in the game.

Flip is a fool if he really believes the coaches are always right. I don't blame Blatche for setting the record straight if he feels Flip-Flop maligned him.

Q: Does anybody think Saunders will publicly apologize or admit he was mistaken when he said three coaches approached Blatche and asked him if he wanted to play?

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 24, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

i think AB has gone WAY OVERBOARD calling flip out to this extent. Seriously, this had to be the culmination of the two not getting along at all for awhile now.

AB pretty much went nuclear, challenging Flip to an extent I'm not sure how Flip saves face without the mess getting even uglier.

Posted by: divi3 | March 24, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"I don't feel I did nothing wrong" Blatche on what happened last night.
"I don't feel I did nothing wrong" Arenas on bringing guns to the locker room.

Posted by: jefferu

-------

Sadly, I'm sure each believes that.

What can we do about players who believe they are entitled to make their own laws and rules and to decide for themselves when they should be or need to be coached?

I really don't know, but I'll probably be voting with my dollars: NO, NO to Arenas; NO, NO to Blatche; NO, NO to Wizards tickets until the organization unloads these pitifully deluded young millionaires.

Posted by: fansincebullets | March 24, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards week from HELL has only just begun...

Posted by: elfreako | March 24, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fansincebullets | March 24, 2010 4:16 PM

there's always an undercurrent of resentment from some about how young and rich these players are. Guess what? Flip earns $4mill/yr and he skipped the team's morning meeting with a headache. The above crapstorm wouldnt have happend if this was all handled internally this morning by the guy who is supposed to be in charge.

Posted by: divi3 | March 24, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"I don't feel I did nothing wrong" Blatche on what happened last night.
"I don't feel I did nothing wrong" Arenas on bringing guns to the locker room.

Posted by: jefferu | March 24, 2010 3:57 PM

According to Steinberg, Blatche's actual quote was as follows:

"They didn't tell me yes or no. If I don't, then, you know, I don't see how it's possible for me not to, because I did nothing wrong."

Jefferu, why did you feel the need to alter Blatche's response such that it is in broken English?

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 24, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | March 24, 2010 4:20 P

BINGO!!

So, fansincebullets, say NO, NO to Flip Saunders while you're at it.

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 24, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | March 24, 2010 4:12 PM |

Flip went too far last night in his comments last night. Let him stew in the juices that he brought to a boil by opening his fat mouth and, once again, using poor judgement.

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 24, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"here's always an undercurrent of resentment from some about how young and rich these players are. Guess what? Flip earns $4mill/yr and he skipped the team's morning meeting with a headache. The above crapstorm wouldnt have happend if this was all handled internally this morning by the guy who is supposed to be in charge."

Posted by: divi3

I'm far from a Flip fan and I don't think I really feel any "resentment" about how young and rich these guys are (perhaps because I'm female and fairly wealthy myself).

I do feel sadness for the players I called deluded because, despite their physical talents, I'm afraid they'll never "get it" (whatever "it" they want) since they seem unable to recognize that in life we cannot all just make our own laws and rules and always decide for ourselves what is "right."

I guess I'm just tired of the never-ending train wrecks.

Posted by: fansincebullets | March 24, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

If you squint (and not too hard) you can see a great player lurking in Andray. No matter how you look you'll never see Phil Jackson in Flip. Remember when Scottie Pippen flat out refused to return to the last seconds of a game because he wasn't going to get the last shot (Toni Kukoc did)? Phil kept Scottie and had three more championships when Jordan returned. How does Flip handle this mess? He gets a 'headache'. Not encouraging.

Posted by: morefromLA | March 24, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Re: "I don't think I really feel any "resentment" about how young and rich these guys are (perhaps because I'm female and fairly wealthy myself)."

What a stupid thing to say. Keep it to yourself.

Posted by: Urnesto | March 24, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Flip has KG envy - everything with regard Blatche is compared to KG. Somewhat a compliment to Dray but if I were him I would not like it. It is obvious that Flip has people management problems and lacks skills in that area. Just ask the Pistons.

Posted by: h20law2000 | March 24, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Good, now we can get rid of problem players like Blatche and Arenas, and start rebuild the team -- with D-league players!

Posted by: sagaliba | March 24, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Anyone on here who has posted a comment siding with Blatche is a total moron. Anyone who has watched 1 Wiz game knows what a dope Blatche is. He is super talented but you can just see in his demeanor that he knows he can turn it on and off when he wants and does not give 100% all the time. And that is just effing unacceptable. Hearing his uneducated ass quoted about this incident makes me cringe and is embarrasing. Just do not even talk dude. Seriously. And am I supposed to believe that Flip is lying about several coaches coming over to you and you saying you wouldn't play? Sorry, I believe a respected, tenured, successful NBA coach over Mr Inconstistency. Perhaps if you hadn't already been shot before, and arrested I'd be more inclined to believe you. Or, if you hadn't taken 4.5 years to all of a sudden just start averaging 25 and 10. I knew this was going to happen. I was getting all excited about Blatche and thinking we had a 25/10 a night guy for next year along with Gil coming back, Jhoward and Thornton and two 1st round draft picks. But my gut has told me all along Blatche is a cancer. I hope I am wrong. I really do. But I know he is one of those guys who is great when he is getting minutes and averaging 25/10. But the minute things aren't going his way, this is what we get. Stinks. I mean, a coach pulls you and tries to coach you and you sulk and refuse to go in the game. Something tells me MJ, Magic and Bird and a host of others wouldnt respond that way. No great ones do. That is why Blatche is never going to be great and do this consistently. Prove me wrong...PLEASE!

Posted by: storers11 | March 24, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

storers11,

1. You have issues.
2. Blatche told his side of the story and essentially caled his coach a liar.
3. Blatche is not suspended and will be playing tonight.
4. Not one assistant coach, player or anonymous source backed up the coach on Dray refusing to go back into the game on three occasions.
5. Do you still believe everything Flip said?

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 24, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

"Perhaps if you hadn't already been shot before, and arrested I'd be more inclined to believe you."

Mr storers, Blatche was the victim when he got shot, the perps actually wanted to hijack his car. So I don't know what you mean, does that mean you don't believe he got shot by criminals or what?

And whether Saunders was right last night or not, several times during the season he called Blatche out to the press for bad play when he is by far the most consistent and productive of the whole team is indicative that he has something against Blatche. That's documented by the blogs, and even the Wizards' own tapes of Saunders after game comments.

And my last comment is that Saunders needs to get over his KG man-crush. KG is playing for another team, Saunders needs to learn (hasn't he learned yet after 15 years?)to manage his own players better. So Mr. Saunders do you think you will get more cooperation from Blatche after comparing him negatively to KG last night, when Blatche basically shut KG down during that game? What is more important, Wizards winning a game or the players kowtowing to you like KG? If you say getting respect from players, you're in the wrong job.

Posted by: rickgonz | March 24, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

And whether Saunders was right last night or not, several times during the season he called Blatche out to the press for bad play when he is by far the most consistent and productive of the whole current team is indicative that he has something against Blatche. That's documented by the blogs, and even the Wizards' own tapes of Saunders after game comments.

Posted by: rickgonz | March 24, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Flip is an idiot. Why? Let's say the story was indeed and AB was being immature. Fine. How does blasting him in the media help things? Now everybody knows and the team has to deal with this distraction ('cos obviously the press and fans are gonna keep asking about it and expecting someone to apologize and pay the price for gross insurbodination). What has Flip gained?

If it's not true and it's just a miscommunication, again where's the upside to washing the team's laundry in public?

Flip is a moron and he should be fired. I said it first.

Posted by: tundey | March 24, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

AB is a spoiled ignorant jerk. He has not done squat --until the last month or two that qualifies AB to be a prima donna. If his supporter have jobs (at much less than AB gets) do all you guys think you would have a job if you did AND said what AB has been spewing. It's interesting that when Jamison tried to mentor AB about his responsibities as a pro--even moving AB's locker near Jamison. Jamison tried to get that lazy jerk--AB-- to lift weights and put some muscle on his FLABBY BODY he still has no mscle and has fat for brains. AB is DEAD WRONG and is a crybaby and deserves to be punished like a child. All he has to do--it's something he obviously does not intend or knows how to-ADMIT YOU SCREWED UP and turn over and let you mocm take a stick and beat his butt UNTIL HE UNDERSTANDS WHAT BEING A REPOSIBLE HUMAN BEING MEANS. I think Flip shoud have suspended AB for at least 5 games and Flip recieves an apology from AB.

Posted by: vergens2 | March 24, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse