Did Brandon Roy travel?

After losing their 10th consecutive game, 76-74, on Friday night, the Wizards immediately watched the replay of Brandon Roy's decisive jumper with 0.9 of a second remaining. The general consensus was that Roy's feet got a little happy on that last possession. Randy Foye said afterward that he thought Roy "shuffled his feet" before taking that shot. James Singleton said he thought Roy switched his pivot foot.

Go to the 1:32 mark on the highlights. Roy dribbles left, picks up the ball and plants his left foot. He then pumps to get Alonzo Gee in the air and steps out with his right foot. As Gee flies by, Roy slides his left foot over to get set and launches the game-winner. If you look in the corner, you can see Flip Saunders whirled his arms around, hoping for a traveling call from the officials.

For a team that hasn't had many breaks, you can understand the Wizards' frustrations - especially after matching the second-longest losing streak in franchise history. But Saunders probably stated it best, "Point-blank, their star made a play. That's what happens in this game," he said. "It boils down to end a lot of times and what star is going to make the plays and who doesn't."

By Michael Lee  |  March 20, 2010; 3:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roy tops Foye again
Next: Wiz conclude road trip as Thornton returns "home"

Comments

Is moving both feet before you dribble traveling? If so, he traveled. If not, it was a great play from a "star" player.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 20, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I should have said is moving both feet before you shoot traveling? Because he did shuffle both feet. The old "NBA two-step."

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 20, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

It was a crab dribble...

Posted by: mohammed10 | March 20, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks.

Posted by: bpybay | March 20, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@bpybay
Hate to sound like a killjoy, but I don't think any Washington Post staff let alone Michael Lee reads the readers' posts to this blog.
I say that because all the posts insulting persons rather than arguing ideas, calling people names are not edited at all. Regardless of the policies applying to comments, no enforcement is being done. Well I hope someone reads the "pending review" posts.

Posted by: rickgonz | March 20, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

The Terp's road to the final four just got a lot easier

Posted by: Raef | March 20, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

"Now, there were other factors that played a role in the Wizards' loss, and I cannot think of a game being decided on a travel call, especially when it wasn't a blatant abuse. To me, that nifty footwork was borderline." - I simply can't believe that someone who is supposed to know something about basket could be so cavalier in his attitude toward a rule violation, especially when it changed the outcome of the game. A walk is a walk is a walk. It's not nifty footwork. It's a walk. Should they have called it, Yes. Does it matter now, No.

Posted by: getabigboyoffense | March 20, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

He traveled. But do we expect the visitor to get that call on an opponent's court in front of a full house? I certainly hope not. Refs are human, too. I'd expect the Wiz to get the same courtesy on their home court.

The Wiz have some defenders, don't they? Alonzo Gee played very solid defense til he got faked in the direction of Mars on that last jumper.

If they play respectably and still wind up with the third or fourth most balls in the lottery, that'll be a successful conclusion to a lost season.

Would you really want Gilbert Arenas back on this club? Or would a decent trade be a better outcome?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 20, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"Mike, I posted a pretty long comment replying to a Kalo_rama post that is being held "pending review." I would greatly appreciate that post being released. I make the point because there has NEVER been a post I have made that was held pending review that was eventually released.Thanks.Posted by: bpybay"

That'll be length, bippy. Edit til it's shorter or split it into two or three posts.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 20, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I think I'd like to see a cool floor general like Shaun controlling the floor and allowing Gilbert to concentrate on scoring the ball.

And it would be even better to have a coach who knew how to make it work not named Flip.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 20, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@Samson151,

You know when I first started blogging here I would get pretty long winded on Saturday mornings and I got the "pending review" hold.

However, it did not take me long to realize that it had nothing to do with what I said, it was that the post was too long.

As you just indicated to bpybay, I have also indicated to others with the same complaint.

Keep up the good work.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 20, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

It was a travel but I am happy it was a noncall. I know there is a lot of people who believe a foul in the 1st minute of the game should be a foul in the last minute but I don't think so. Unless the infraction gives the player a significant advantage (hits the arm, taking a full extra step) I don't think the ref should blow the whistle at the end of games.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: NFeKPo | March 20, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Ball in left hand. Jabs the right foot to push back and resets both feet. Just to be conservative call that only two. Then from there he resets his right foot(3) and then follows through with the left (4).

Conservative - That's 4 steps. Mon - It's 5

Last I checked, both are traveling.

The point about not calling that at the end of the game makes no sense at all. It wasn't one of those judgment calls like charging. Walking is walking. You call it when it happens.

Come on Mike. I expect better from you than the view you gave.

Posted by: hands11 | March 20, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

As much as we might see the no-call at the end of games, there are also calls made at the end of games, like the travel call against Lebron against the Wizards.

I,ve never liked the no-call at the end of games. If it is a clear foul or violation it should be called.

I also am not in favor of the veteran/star calls. They are even worse than the no-calls.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 20, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

NFeKPo

The advantage was Gee jumped and looked like he was going to block it and if not block it he was going to alter it. He jumped when he should have and made a great play to guard the shot that should have happened after the allowed amount of steps. He timed it perfectly. Being able to take two extra steps after that player flies by is A CLEAR ADVANTAGE.

That wasn't a board line moving screen or blocking call were the refs are allowed to use their judgment.

Things like clear walking or out of bounds are always called. If walking isn't reviewable like a 3 point shot, it should be.

Posted by: hands11 | March 20, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

F the Blazers

They have as much chance of winning the NBA championship as we have

They're doomed if they think Roy is gonna lead them to the promised land

He can be the No. 2 on a Championship team, though.

Posted by: Vicc | March 20, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

@bpybay

Posted by: rickgonz | March 20, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I know that at least some of the posts are read by staff because on the Redskins' blog, a title to one of the blog entries was changed in response to posters' comments (the one about Joey Porter "spurning" the 'Skins for the Cardinals) and one of the editors posted about the change.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 20, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hands11 | March 20, 2010 11:09 PM

I agree. Gee defended well. Well-put, hands.

And I want the refs to call 'em whenever they occur and by whomever. It's the principle of the thing, and the level playing field. Selective calling takes the sport out of it otherwise.

Posted by: 7snider7 | March 21, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Rick/Samson/Larry:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured that length was the issue. I guess "pending review" = disappearance into cyberspace. Someone get these folks a dictionary.

Posted by: bpybay | March 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Selective calling takes the sport out of it otherwise.

Posted by: 7snider7 | March 21, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I have to be cynical here. Please excuse my take, but what's sport got to do with it? It pure entertainment value, or the betting line. Sorry 7snider7, I got a bad case of the NBA refereeing blahs.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 21, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

@Samson151,

Keep up the good work.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 20, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I like zone defense for a team like washington, they still need a dependable center.when all players get what flip teach them washington will be a top 15 defenssive team. In the presence of Arenas and some fast front court spead it is possible to win 50 games, but flip is too harsh on Pg and his offense is 70% half court.He is complicating his zoning by giving an advantage to the opponent star gard to drive to the court.I think that was the main reason for wade to average a 40 point game against us.

Posted by: gtefferra | March 21, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

At the end of the day, Roy just made an incredibly lucky shot. It's not about being a star. Remember Ramon Sessions shot a few feet behind the three-point line off a Mike Ruffin miscue a few years ago that helped win a game Wiz seemingly had in hand? Obviously, Sessions is no star; he just made an incredibly lucky shot. Because the guy who made the shot on Friday night happened to be Portland's star means zilch. Gee made a great play on the ball. Roy just got lucky. Period! When you are seemingly cursed, as Wiz seem to be, these things happen to you on a regular basis.

Posted by: bpybay | March 21, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

That might have been Mo Williams that made that shot instead of Ramon (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here). In any event, if you remember the shot, you know what I'm talking about.

Posted by: bpybay | March 21, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"Even if Roy had been called for traveling, the Wizards would've had a difficult time pulling out an overtime win. No doubt, an angry sellout crowd at Rose Garden would've helped to get the Trail Blazers fired up for that final five minute push."

Is that the same crowd that let the Wiz cut a decent lead with less than 4 mins left? If I want random opinions, I can....well, I can continue to read the rest of the yahoos (myself included) who post here. How about the old "we talked to so and so the head of NBA officials about the call" to get their opinion.

No, that travel call was not the only thing the caused them to lose, it was just the last one, which is usually significant. It's also the body bump which caused Blatche to miss the layup on the other end, and the general tenor of the officials all night. It's the elbow that Aldridge got away with and the shoulder dip that Blatche didn't. If they didn't apparently have it in for Andre Miller last night, the final foul totals would have looked even worse.

Like most NBA fans I get that teams on a ten game losing streak are not going to catch a break from the refs playing a playoff team on the road. But I get a little tweaked when someone says 'no big deal' about the call because they would've lost in OT anyway. Why even play the games then?

Posted by: ts35 | March 21, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bpybay

It was Morris Peterson, but we take your point. That game lives on for me through the classic Buckhantz "No! Not possible! Not possible!" call.

Posted by: ts35 | March 21, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

So he traveled.
So what.
It took a slo mo replay to show it.
Refs miss calls a lot more blatant than that one.
Wizzies played better than I thought they would tho.
Looks like we're headed to another off season speculating about who we'll draft.

Posted by: VBFan | March 21, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

What is lost in this was the GREAT defense played by Gee. The dude explodes off the ground and he was smart enough to go to the side and not into the shooter. He was giving Roy fits the whole game bc he doesn't just get a hand up he gets to the normal release point. Earlier in the game he snatched an offensive rebound out of the air that should have been Aldridge's. He simply exploded to the ball faster and took it away from the dudes own air space. He's signed through the rest of the year guaranteed and I am pretty sure he's in camp next year as well. Love what I see from the dude. Everything NY is not!

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 21, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

would have liked to see Mcgee on the floor late, just for game experience sake. he was playing ok

Posted by: divi3

I hear ya, and would normally agree, but a) I'm sure they really wanted to break the streak and b) Singelton was having such a great game, you had to reward him.

Posted by: ts35 | March 21, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

yeah, woulda been nice to win one and Mcgee will have his hands full tonight

Posted by: divi3 | March 21, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

and ts35, agree 100% with your above posts about the entire tenor of the game, bump on AB, and lack of reporting on what the officials saw.

I think mike lee looks as if he's trying to get himself removed from this beat these days.

Posted by: divi3 | March 21, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Feeling good this morning and then just read:

"The Wizards would like to bring back Miller -- an excellent perimeter shooter who can rebound and create for others -- which is one of the reasons they were reluctant to move him at the trade deadline, according to two people with knowledge of the team's thinking."

No, no, no, no. Please. Why does this team do something dumb for every smart thing they do. Blowing up this team was smart. If they get Wall or ET + make a few smart FA signings (Haslem, Childress), it'll be genius. A little lottery luck and this team could be very good next year. Signing Miller would only slow down the progress. It's like when we kept Calbert Cheanney on the team for 20 years when he clearly blew. Stop signing fake "glue" guys who can't play. Stevenson was one of those too.

Posted by: Urnesto | March 21, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

It's all pretty much moot. Miller won't re-sign here unless (A) he has no comparable offers from better teams (which is unlikely) or (B) the Wiz grossly overpay to get him to stay (which is both unlikely and stupid). And the Wiz are going to bad next year. Not as bad as they were this year perhaps, but bad nonetheless. Barring some sudden loss of reason from one of the top tier FAs by deciding to come here, they still won't have a legit #1 option on the team next season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 21, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Feeling good this morning and then just read:

Posted by: Urnesto

Tend to agree with Kal on this one, but there are two reasons he might still sign with the Wiz. One, it's hard to imagine he will be a coveted free agent this offseason, which means that (two) even a reasonable offer by Wiz may be more than other teams want to offer.

Ultimately I'm fine if they want to bring him back as long as he doesn't cost too much and they don't sign him long-term. Two to three years years max.

"And the Wiz are going to bad next year. Not as bad as they were this year perhaps, but bad nonetheless. "
Posted by: kalo_rama

More than likely true. Certainly they won't be bringing in a top free agent. The only way around this is if they catch a break and draft someone who is capable of being a difference-maker right away. With that, they might graduate from bad to mediocre.

Posted by: ts35 | March 21, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I understand the skepticism about whether or not they'll be good. I only really think they'll be good if they get a top 2 pick, because I think that both of those guys (Wall, Turner) are game changers AND would line up nicely with Gil in the backcourt. In such a scenario, both Arenas and Wall/Turner would be a "legit #1 option." Plus, I agree that a top-tier FA will not come here - but I don't think top tier is the way to go anyway. James, Wade, Bosh would help, but won't come. So, we're left with Stoudimire, Boozer, and JJ as the other top tier FA's. Those guys are redundant with our top players, would not fit in well, and are not great leaders in my mind. And would cost a ton. So, 2nd tier is the way to go: Haslem (as the primary big on the bench), J. O'Neal (to backup McGee), Childress or Josh Howard to start at 3, etc.

Arenas, Turner, Childress, Blatche, McGee, with Haslem, J O'Neal, Jo.Howard, and Livingston as the bench (with Young, Thorton, Singleton, and Gee rounding it out) -- That would be a solid squad, and would be very acheivable - if we get a top 2 pick.

Posted by: Urnesto | March 21, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Some pretty strong kool-aid there.

Arenas is a helluva player, but the evidence is pretty conclusive that having him as your #1 option is a dicey proposition at best. Even bookended by two proven all-star performers the results he produced weren't that spectacular in terms of wins. And it's pretty unlikely that any player drafted next season is going to be a franchise changer in had first season in the NBA. How many of the players taken in last year's lottery had that kind of immediate impact on a sub-30 win team from the previous season?

And why would Jermaine O'Neal, a 30-something veteran on the tail end of his career, sign onto a rebuilding franchise with (presumably) new ownership and all kinds of change and uncertainty hanging over it? Same for Haslem. The only reason would be money, overpaying to lure marginal talent would kill the rebuilding plan before it even started.

"So, we're left with Stoudimire, Boozer, and JJ as the other top tier FA's. "

No, "we" aren't, because those guys aren't signing in D.C. anymore than Lebron or Wade are.

"Those guys are redundant with our top players, would not fit in well, and are not great leaders in my mind. "

I can only imagine what's going on in your mind, based on that post. But that aside . . . where are the Stoudemire, Boozer, or Johnson clones currently on the Wiz? I must have missed them in all the games I've seen.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 21, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Redundant does not equal clones. Would you sign Stoudimire to the max with the way Blatche is playing for 1/10th of that? No, probably not.

And it probably wasn't a very articulate post on my part. I just don't think Boozer, Stoudimire, Johnson are winners + I think - from past actions, comments, etc. - that those guys will sign with any team that pays them despite how bad the setup seems. Those guys - IMO - just want money, rather than wanting money AND a winning team. Johnson signed with a 15 win Atlanta squad (before Josh Smith started playing well, and before Al Horford) for just a fraction more than it took to re-sign with a Phoenix team that was on the verge. And I think with a top 2 pick, + Gilbert, + Blatche/McGee - that we wouldn't look too bad to the 2nd tier FA's. I mean Sessions signed with MN on the cheap -- why? Because they needed PG's?? No, because they were the only ones with money at that point. That could be us. (or if you prefer: "The Wizards"). Also, Haslem is 28 -- the perfect age for a 6th man on this team. Lastly, I don't think JO'Neal will have a ton of choice. Maybe he'll get a deal like Rasheed last year -- which we of course shouldn't do -- but more likely he'll get the vet's min paid by whomever is left. Of course all the old guys want to pay for winners, but a lot of times they can't because only the rebuilding squads have money.

Posted by: Urnesto | March 21, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

the only reason there's desire from the org to re-sign Miller is that he's so popular with the fanbase. His actual production doesnt warrant re-signing given what he brings to the table and how far the team is from where his skillset off the bench would be a critical contribution.

Posted by: divi3 | March 21, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

draft Greivis. he's livingston without the janky knee.
I've also heard that STAT has an affinity for this area. He's a skins fan too. i figure his move will be to a contender though.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 21, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

and "fake glue guys" is one of the funnier yet apt terms i've read on here

Posted by: divi3 | March 21, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 21, 2010 2:23 PM

It probably isn't a foregone conclusion that we are going to be bad next year.

Unless we are sure we will not have a strong enough point guard to push Arenas to a scoring role only.

That means Arenas will not be running the flow of the game, but the point guard will and if we fail to get anyone better than
Livingston, he is capable.

Secondly, and most importantly, if we are going to have the same coaching phenomena as in Flip, then yes for sure we might continue to be bad.

But, if Flip is out, then the sky is the limit. We got seven coaches on the bench besides Flip. Are there any odds that one of them could kick Flip out?

Arenas, Howard, Blatche, Singleton, would be a young hungry veteran core augmented by the right additions doesn't have to be necessarily bad next year, especially with intelligent forward thinking coaching.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 21, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

.500 gets you in the playoffs. If Flip is the overachieving coach so many say he is, postseason next year should hardly be considered an unrealistic goal.

Posted by: divi3 | March 21, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I love Mike Miller's game. I hate his decision making. While it is true he is one of the most unselfish players in the league, he also isn't what I would consider a very smart and/or aggressive player. With his skill set, if he had Gil's assassin mentality, we would be talking about a future HOFer here. He is a scorer. We need scoring. He refuses to shoot the ball. Nuff said.

Posted by: bpybay | March 21, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps I should say I love MM's skillset, because his "decision making" is part of his game, and I do NOT like that part of his game.

Posted by: bpybay | March 21, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

It has been itimated here more than once that Mike Millers game/he was brought in to be a compliment to the big three.

Such that, he would be a much more effective player complimenting more dominant ones and not being one of the dominant role players as he has found himself in due to the shoot-up of the big three.

Now, I don't necessarily agree that Miller's skill set might have been more effective in a complimentary role, but I can understand the assertion.

Given that, I ask myself, what chance is there that Mike Miller would be a complimentary player on next years team since that would supposedly make him more effective?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 21, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

"But then again, I thought they had a shot at 45 wins this year, so what do I know. Posted by: ts35"

I was hoping for 38, which would have been 100% improvement.

Just a pisser of a season. Those guys who got traded away are the lucky ones, along with Blatche and McGee, who get all the playing time they want without much in the way of expectations. I guess Gee and Livingston caught a break, too.

Interesting article on the D-League experience in the Post mag. One observation is that the guy who is 'tearing up' the league statistically is not necessarily the best player on the team. And that some of the coaching that goes on is falling on ears stuffed with wax.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 21, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

draft Greivis. he's livingston without the janky knee.
Posted by: lilhollywood10

He's currently listed as #101 on ESPN's top 100 and DraftExpress has him at #86. If they want to buy another pick (or get the conditional pick from the Clips) in the second, I'd say draft him. But I wouldn't use our early second rounder on him. Especially when he might be available as an undrafted FA.

Posted by: ts35 | March 21, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

The best shoot for wiz is to try to sign Okor he is big, excellent shooter and rebounder, relatively cheap and would not mind to come to a rebuilding team.

Posted by: gtefferra | March 21, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Actually with his size, improving shooting ability, bb iq and other offensive skills, plus his toughness, I could easily see the Lakers picking him up. His lack of speed and quickness don't hurt him as much in the triangle offense. Plus imagine the fun he would have passing to those guys.

Posted by: ts35 | March 21, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article on the D-League experience in the Post mag.

Thanks Samson. I've seen a couple of interviews with Nate Thibbetts and he comes across as very sharp. Sort of a kinder and gentler Rick Carlisle.

The Long Shot

Posted by: djnnnou | March 21, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

His lack of speed and quickness don't hurt him as much in the triangle offense.

I've been thinking the same thing about Randy Foye.

Posted by: djnnnou | March 21, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | March 21, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

funny how down everybody is about next year. coming off of 19 wins folks thought Flip,Foye,MM and the big 3 could get us 50 wins. I was never high on the trade or Flip as a coach so 50 wins seemed last year. Next year, with Gil coming back presumably healthier than he began this season, a second year under Flip, and the addition of what should be 4 young talented players i could see the team winning at least 10-15 more games than this year.
If flip is the coach that he gets credit for being, he will be able to make more out of next season;that is unless we trade half the roster and suspend 2 guys for gun issues again.
AB and JM will go into the offseason with purpose and possibly even the support of the organization, in terms of training over the summe. they can't work on their own,or their own plan. The new owner needs to spend the coin to make sure he gets them working with trainers that will get the most out of them.
Gil and SL should work together too. Their chemistry will be key if foye doesn't come back next year. I'd love to see Gil run the 2 with SL at the point (Greivis off the bench).
I guess that leaves the 3 open. Paging Mr.Turner..........Evan Turner....you are wanted at the Phonebooth.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 21, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

For sure the WARRIORS second round pick which the WIZARDS are holding will be protected. What to our rights under that pick? Anybody know the rules on that one.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 21, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

what did Mcgee do this time? Fart in Flip's direction? Fab aint gonna handle Pau.

Great dunk Livingston!

Posted by: divi3 | March 21, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

The last time I saw such a blatant travel there was a crab dribble involved.

Posted by: Rocky420 | March 22, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse