Foye forced to sit out with left wrist injury

See how much my left wrist was bandaged? (Photo by Ned Dishman/NBAE via Getty Images)

Randy Foye tried to play through the pain, tried to tape up his left wrist and give it a go each night, but it eventually got to the point where he had to give in. Foye jammed his wrist while reaching in on Chicago all-star point guard Derrick Rose on Feb. 22. And in the time since, Foye's production has declined and he lost the starting point guard job to Shaun Livingston.

An MRI last week determined that Foye had developed a bone cyst in the wrist, as well as some damage to his tendons. With the team struggling to get wins and searching for any spark offensively, Foye still kept playing, wrapping more tape around his wrist and leaving the arena most nights with a bulky brace strapped to it.

Foye scored 17 points off the bench on Friday in Charlotte, but he never was right after D.J. Augustin fouled him on a three-point attempt. The soreness just became too unbearable. "I was trying driving home it was painful, hurting me," Foye said. "And this morning when I woke up, after the adrenaline wore off, that sucker was hurting. It was even more painful."

Foye arrived at Verizon Center about four hours before tip off on Saturday to receive treatment. His teammates didn't find out until just before the game. "I was talking to Randy like I always do, telling him what he need to do out there. He said, 'Go out there and play and get 19 or 20 for me.' I was like, 'What you mean?' And obviously he didn't play," Nick Young said.

Foye likely wouldn't have been able to keep the Wizards from avoiding their 15th consecutive loss against the Utah Jazz, but it left them even more short-handed. Mike Miller said that Foye and Al Thornton "could be out a while," but Foye is hopeful that the results won't be too serious when he has another MRI on Monday to assess the damage.

Foye said the wrist was causing him problems as he made basic plays. A few games ago, Foye tried to pass to Young on his left side, but he made the pass with his right hand. The ball deflected off his left hand and skidded out of bounds.

"We laughed about it. It affects my game a little bit. at the same time, I felt it was something that I could play with," said Foye, who averaged just 8.9 points and shot 35.9 percent this month. "That was the main thing - trying to fight through it and just grind it out. It was my left hand and I felt as though as long as I didn't hit it, where it was sore or it could hurt me. I guess it's just aggravated."

By Michael Lee  |  March 27, 2010; 11:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Miller on 15 straight losses: "It's not any fun."
Next: Wizards looking ahead but stuck in the present

Comments

Well what are we going to do? I am interested to see what is going to happen with this team. Leonsis taking over as owner. We are opening massive salary room with expiring deals for Ilgauskas, Gooden, and Mike James among others.

Will Leonsis make an immediate imprint on the team and finally change the uniform and colors back to Red, White and Blue signifying a new beginning as well as giving a nod to the past?

Who will we get in the draft?? Using the ESPN draft lottery machine I am comin up most frequently with Demarcus Cousins. I am occasionally hitting Wall and Turner.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Well, we can't complain the kids aren't getting enough time on the court. McGee got 16 minutes even though he only came up with one block and zero boards.

Late season game -- even if they'd won, what would it have told us about next season?

Now that the owners have agreed on a price, Gilbert's contract is less of an issue since it looks like they can't trade him anyway, at least without taking on another awful contract. We're looking at a good three years of rebuilding.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

"I am really encouraged with the play of Livingston. Is it possible he could take the starting PG spot and move Gil to SG? How would this team look with a starting 5 of Cousins, Blatche, Josh Howard, Arenas, Livingston... bench of McGee, Singleton, Thornton, Miller, Gee, Young, Foye??
Posted by: Darnell1"

It's a good question. I'd say it looks like a team that finishes in the lottery. Of course, the real mystery with a lineup like that is how many of them wind up on the injured list for extended periods. That's a very fragile group you have there.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darnell1"

ARENAS and BLATCHE are under contract for next season. HOWARD has a team option for 11 million plus, a completely blown out knee, and past injury problems. He will not be offered IMO.

Bench of YOUNG, FOYE (80% offer - maybe), McGEE, and THORNTON are under contract.

ROSS has a player option which I'm guessing he will exercise.

This is next year's team to this point.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 28, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

If the Wizz can't get a top 2 pick, they should ask the Hornets about the availabilty of PG Darren Collison. The Hornets are strapped for cash, CP3 won't be going anywhere, and they are a team that will need an infusion of young and talented big men. Collison would add the athleticism at the point this team is so desperatly missing. Would the Hornets be willing to part with him for Young and the 30th pick? Obviously, I don't know, but when I watch Collison play, I feel as if CP3 is the guy they need to be shopping. Collison would immediately make our backcourt better with his quickness, ability to penetrate opposing Ds while dishing off to our big men, and his outside shooting would need to be accounted for by opposing guards. A trade of this magnitude would definitely speed up our rebuilding process while allowing us to fill some gaps with our other 2 picks.

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

This is nature's way of telling the Wizards to call up another guy from the D League. Morris Almond maybe?

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 28, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I like Raef's thinking about Collison as pg. Anyone have any counterarguments before we go ahead with the deal?

Oh, but are we assuming that the top 2 picks are Evans and Hall?

Posted by: 7snider7 | March 28, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

This season has been a real good opportunity for McGee...

Looking over his bio, I see that he did not play very much at the high school level.
With only one year at that basketball powerhouse Nevada, he's as green as it gets and I do believe he "hit the wall" about two weeks ago.

I wonder if any of the former Hoya big men still get run in over the summer at McDonough?

He has much to learn about the fundamentals of basketball, let alone the physical strength he needs to gain. Probably won't see the physical changes for another 2-3 years.

Posted by: bozomoeman | March 28, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Oh, but are we assuming that the top 2 picks are Evans and Hall?

Posted by: 7snider7 | March 28, 2010 10:

Well, actually I was assuming the possibility of NOT getting John Wall or Evan Turner with the top 2 picks. Should we happen to get a top 2 pick, either one of those guys immediately makes our team much better because of the lack of depth or talent we have at the position. Obviously, if we choose either one of those two guys, we would need to focus our attention on the 30th pick and filling out our bench with some much needed depth at the center position. Could we package the 30th and the 33rd or 34th to move up in the top 20? I don't see why not due to the situation in Miami, where they look as if they are going to need to add some bodies. If that's the case bring in Larry Sanders for defense and rebounding. Bottom line, is we need to get bigger, more athletic, our guards need to apply pressure on oppiosing guards by penetrating and defending as well as our young bigs need help because they are getting worn out by our the lack of depth as well.

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

i think ts35's observations about Cousins last night ring true. He looks like a whiner and sulker better suited to a superior environment than the one we have here. Not to mention he'd come pre-programmed with Rod Strickland's "how to have fun in DC" list.

that said, if we end up with the 3rd pick and Wall/Turner are gone....would seem pretty hard to pass up someone with that size, length, etc.

so let's hope for the 1st or 2nd pick

Posted by: divi3 | March 28, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

One good thing we are getting a good look at Javale.
It looks like he's run down and lost that energy that he had earlier.
Maybe he'll learn what it takes to play at this level for a whole season and get in shape over the summer. He needs to hit the gym everyday and gain about 15 more solid pounds. Maybe go see the Caps chiropractor.

Posted by: VBFan | March 28, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

No doubt Javale has hit the wall, he's next-to-useless at this point. Hopefully that's motivation to get as strong as possible this offseason etc etc.

Blatche also looks spent, they should book a month at Grover's together

Posted by: divi3 | March 28, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Have not ben on here in a minute, but just wanted to say I would draft Favors over Cousins. Cousins have a attitude problem. he can definately become the next Ron Artest of the NBA (attitude wise). Favors on the other hand is a cool dude that can be motivated twice a year for monster games in Atlanta...a division road game that we will need to win. He is also money from the free throw line. With our 2nd round pick, I would draft Aubrey Coleman from Houston. An elite scorer, something like a Jamal Crawford.

Posted by: ATLredskin | March 28, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If the Wiz would end up with the third pick I'd have to lean toward Favors over Cousins. Favors is not as big, but he's a legit 6' 9"-10" and has seemed to gain upper body strength as the season went on. He looks to be in the 240-250lbs range and strong as an oxe.

The guy's a quick jumper and his lateral quickness really outclasses Cousins or Alderidge though he's not as big as they are. Not really a true center, but he'd do well enough against most, he'll also run the floor well. His game seems to grow by the day and he's just 18. He's got that Webberlike package of size, hops, soft hands, and quickness. He likes to play D and has great timing as a shot blocker, and finishes strong around the rim.

Cousins is a real physical beast, but he really doesn't have a post move, and he's not that quick. West VA guarded him much of the night with a point guard and then collapased to him from the 1/3/1 zone. He never could just catch, drop step and go up over the point guard. If he can't post up a point guard, Superman's eating him alive...

When Kentucky played at Vandy I saw him start yelling and gesturing toward the crowd, Calipari pulled him and he started going at his Coach. The exchange ended with Calipari screaming, sit down and Shut the f--k up. Flip would just love this guy.

The guy just seems to have that Artest quality about him, borderline scary. Based on his sheer size, strength, and potential to be dominant in the paint, he's a hard guy to pass up. But he might be a load to handle, on and off the court.

I thought that was Rod Strickland on the Kentucky bench. Maybe we should draft Cousins, hire Strickland as an assistant, and look up ole Party John Ramos to form a support group for Cous. That ought to spice up the DC night life and give people something to blog about...

Posted by: flohrtv | March 28, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

The front line certainly has looked "spent" since the FS debacle, especially McGEE.

SINGLETON is anything but however, and a great role option and fourth inside player off the bench. Double his expiring and sign him up. Drop OBERTO.

Draft a five with our first, COUSINS would be nice, then take a three like Da' BUTLER WVA with the 28-30 CAV's pick to understudy THORNTON. Add a contract for GEE at that position. MILLER and HOWARD out. Take GREIVIS VASQUEZ MD with our second, and if we get the KINGS second rounder (unprotected) grab OMAR SAMHEN ST. MARY'S as a fifth inside big for BLATCHE relief. Give SHAUN LIVINGSTON JAVARIS CRITTENTON's old slot, and let the games begin.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 28, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Oberto has been a good trooper, I guess, but in the vein of " remember this is a business", he should just be bought out at this point, or just released. What is the business case for keeping Oberto? To show vets how loyal the Wizards organization is? Is he like a player-coach? What is it?

To me it just seems like sentimentality that the second worst team in the NBA can't afford to have. Those roster spots could be put to better use.

Let's not obsess over the upcoming draft until the week before. The likelihood is, all of the upcoming Wizards picks except for the lottery pick, will end up in the D League or overseas for a couple years.

To me, the smart approach would be to find the best available draft picks from a couple years ago that have worked on their strength and skills for a couple years. Wherever they may be.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 28, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 28, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"What is the business case for keeping Oberto?"

What's the business case for cutting him? The season is almost over and he's making next to nothing to begin with. Cutting him loose won't save the team any money, and with guys still getting hurt left and right, they need the extra bodies. There's no good reason, business or basketball, to just toss him aside at this point.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Yea I think you and I had this discusion before I would not draft Cousins. To have Blatche/Cousins as our starting 4/5... Man you think we have problems this year, both of those are huge mental cases. Lets say Gil comes back, bring the ball up the court then quickly firing up shots. How would Blatche/Cousins react to that. "No way", not only would I draft Favors over Cousins. I would try to get Favors even if we do get one of the first 2 picks. Yes I would draft Wall or Turner and I would send Blatche our second 1st round pick and a conditional pick in next year draft, to get him. Also I would try to bring in Rudy Gay and a quailty 5 B Haywood/Tyson Chandler.

Posted by: dsquare | March 28, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

There's almost no chance of the Hornets trading Collison at this point. If the Hornets are in a position where they're going to start putting money over winning, then Paul is the guy they're likely to deal, in which case keeping Collison becomes a priority. Until they work out what, if any, Paul's future with the team is, Collison isn't going anywhere, because he's their safety net.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"ROSS has a player option which I'm guessing he will exercise"

True, but it's a 1-year option and his salary is relatively small, so I could see a team possibly trading a 2nd round pick for him, in order to add some bench depth. And it they really need the roster space, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wiz just waived him. Either way, his presence on the team next year isn't a given.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Well I do like Favors also, and it seems he's the consensus on here if we end up with the #3 pick. I can go for that... can Blatche start at center with Favors at PF? Miller at SF with Thornton as a 6th man off the bench? Backcourt of Livingston & Arenas? Maybe keep Josh Howard if we can decline his team option and re-sign him for about half his current deal? Keep McGee, Singleton, Gee, NY, Foye off the bench. Maybe keep Oberto for
A free agent I'd look at is Houston PG Kyle Lowry who's a restricted FA. He was teammate of Foye at Villanova.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 12:42 PM

Yea, just a thought. With everything that has transpired , Collison comes to mind, as far as immediate help goes,with the thought that CP3 is the face of their franchise. Just wishful thinking on my part for a player that has immense upside and the ability to infuse immediate results. Would not hurt to dangle the 30th pick and a player such as N.Young, if for any reason, to spur trade talk. Let's face it, without a polished point guard, our franchise's results will continue to underdeliver.

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say as I think about it I love the skill, speed and ball movement of a Blatche, Favors, Miller, Arenas, Livingston front 5. Some size off the bench w/ McGee, Singleton, Thornton... Young and Foye for some offense, Gee for energy.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"Would not hurt to dangle the 30th pick and a player such as N.Young, if for any reason, to spur trade talk."

Wouldn't help either. Collison has established himself as a legit starting PG in the NBA. It'll take more than the last pick of the first round and a marginal backup SG to spur trade talks.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

To put it another way:

Right now Collison looks to be at least as good as Devin Harris ever did in Dallas, and the Mavs traded him for a future HoFer.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Collison would be great... Kyle Lowry is probably a more realistic target.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Collison benefits from having a game that is reasonably similar to Chris Paul's -- the team doesn't have to adjust much from one to the other. Put Collison in another scheme and he may not be as effective.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Watching the replay of the game on Comcast right now... man Livingston really looks good, and that's going against Deron Williams.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Front 5:

Blatche, Favors (draft), Miller, Arenas, Livingston.

Bench:

McGee, Singleton, Thornton, Gee, Young, Foye, Lowry (FA).

I think I'd be happy with that. Plus our 2 later draft picks (Trevor Booker and Greivis?)

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Put Collison in another scheme and he may not be as effective."

Possibly. But isn't that a possibility with any player who's not a dominating superstar? And, quite frankly, having watched New Orleans play, I'm not sure they really have a scheme, per se, other than giving the ball to Chris Paul (when healthy) and letting him do the heavy lifting.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Favors looks like a development project to me. He's got the size and strength for the NBA PF spot, but I haven't seen much of an offensive game and his defense is mostly rebounding and shot-blocking -- not that we don't need that. I don't think he's Tyrus Thomas II, but I do wonder if he won't take a season or two to emerge.

Cousins is a late-bloomer as well, and has a history of weight problems. He was pretty frustrated against West Virginia but a 1-3-1 will do that to you. I noticed the immense dropoff in Kentucky's defense when he was on the bench. As far as a whiny personality goes, that's so common among spoiled college big men that I hardly notice.

Off the tournament so far, looks to me that the two best pro prospects are already gone. Both have weaknesses -- Wall doesn't know how to play defense and Turner doesn't have a reliable long-range shot -- but they're both better prospects than anybody in last year's draft, except Griffin.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

We should hire Alonzo Mourning as a big man coach. I think he could really help guys like McGee and Blatche. As far as I know he still lives right here in Potomac.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how much a guy like Mourning would help McGee or Blatche. Those guys are skill players, and Mourning was a physical/attitude player. It's not the same as Kareem tutoring Bynum or Ewing tutoring Howard, because they were teaching those guys skill fundamentals. You can't teach nasty. Either a guy has it or he doesn't. Blatche and McGee don't.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I should have "finesse" players rather than "skill" players, because as of right now, skill isn't something McGee has a lot of.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Livingston has been so impressive to me. And your talking about a guy who just came in and at pg is running this team fluidly and just seems like such a great fit for us.

He is especially intriguing to me because of his size and length in addition to his skill as a guy that could play alongside Gil in the backcourt, you put Gil in a situation where he can focus on scoring and passing from the SG spot and not being concerned w/ "running the team".

You have a backcourt of Livingston running the team and distributing, Arenas at SG attacking the basket, dropping open jumpers and 3's and passing, drive and kick.. Miller at SF with his ability to move the ball and knock down the 3, and board, put Favors at PF with his athleticism, shot blocking and D, Blatche with his skill, passing and ability to score at center. Thornton as a 6th man who can come in at PF or can play him at SF when we want more size, we can slide Miller to SG and Gil to point when needed. Singleton and McGee off the bench, Gee, Young and Foye.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

And that's not even looking at our 2 later picks or our FA options with the expiring contracts of Ilgauskas, Mike James, Gooden, Oberto, and Josh Howard!

What FA's are we interested in??

I do like Houston PG Kyle Lowry who's a restricted FA.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Another resticted FA that interests me is SF/SG Josh Childress. He has been playing in Europe I believe, rights owned by the Hawks.. he was a college teammate of Grunfeld's son at Stanford.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Also could be interested in Larry Hughes if he could had cheaply, he's 31 and we know he meshes well w/ Gil.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

David Lee could be someone worth pursuing, he's unrestricted.. especially if NY goes after Bosh or Amare. Aaron Gray (resticted) could be a good addition to the bench.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 1:51 PM

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Zo would be a great addition to the staff, not sure he's ever shown any interest in coaching though.

Posted by: divi3 | March 28, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

ESPN's Marc Stein on the Wizards' upcoming offseason..

"They could have close to $20 million in cap space this summer, depending on where the salary cap falls for next season, along with a forthcoming high lottery pick to fuel John Wall/Evan Turner fantasies. They also have two fairly large trade exceptions (worth $6 million and $4.5 million) to bring in fresh assets, and they have what one rival Eastern Conference executive described as "a good stash" of young players with trade value: Andray Blatche, JaVale McGee, Al Thornton and Nick Young."

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

ESPN's Marc Stein on the Wizards' upcoming offseason..

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 3:52 PM

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"What is the business case for keeping Oberto?"

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 12:38 PM
/////////////////////

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 28, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Just played the ESPN draft machine..

Out of 10 tries got Cousins 4 times, Wesley Johnson 4 times, Ed Davis once and John Wall once.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"he Wizards be better off using Oberto's roster spot to evaluate younger players that they can call up from the D League, and maybe secure the rights to one if it works out. The window of opportunity to do that is closing.Posted by: PostSubscriber"

I think you overvalue the talent that's available in the d-league. You're talking about end of roster types. Don't be fooled by the minutes somebody like Gee is getting with the Wizards -- that's an artifact of a lost season.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"Last couple times out I think Oberto's gotten 0 points, 0 rebounds. He's averaging 1.2/1.5. I think his highs for this year are 4 points, 4 reb. He's got a heart problem, and has to wear a heart monitor periodically. He's at the end of his career. Maybe Oberto would be useful as an experienced sub on a playoff team, but he has no future with the Wizards. The Wizards be better off using Oberto's roster spot to evaluate younger players that they can call up from the D League, and maybe secure the rights to one if it works out. The window of opportunity to do that is closing."

The last thing this team needs right now is more D-League caliber players. And with 10 games left in the season, the window on evaluating players who are brand new to the team is already closed. That's what training camp and summer league are for, at this point. Cutting Oberto with 10 games left in the season serves absolutely no useful purpose.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"Collison is a backup pg, therefore I doubt he is deemed untouchable, or unavailable, but there is only one way to find out."

He was their starter for most of the season and doing quite well in that role. And should they decide, for financial reasons, to cut ties with Paul (a very real possibility, given the owners' history, the current economic climate, and the slim odds of the Hornets being contenders any time soon) then Collison, who makes a fraction of what Paul makes, becomes the starter by default, which would make trading him for a low-value pick and a non-rotation caliber backup SG pretty foolish, at least until the situation regarding Paul is resolved. And I never said he was "untouchable" did I? I said it would take more than the junk you proposed to pry him away from the Hornets. And it will.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW, it's more than a little disingenuous for you to rave about how good Collison is and much better he would make the Wizards on the one hand, then casually dismiss his trade value as just that of "a backup PG" on the other hand.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Though I understand the concerns some have for drafting Cousins, there are two truths that shouldn't be ignored:

1. If you make a mistake in the NBA draft, be sure its a "big" mistake. Cousins, listed at 6'11" and 270 is a chance I have to take. "Big" mistakes still have value. Kwame Brown, a complete bust netted Caron Butler and later Gasol. The Bucks offered Etan Thomas a ridiculous deal that Grunfeld erred in matching.
Some GM is always going to believe they can "fix" a big man.

2. Presently, the Wiz have no one that can put an elbow in the chest of, or take an elbow from):
Perkins, Bogut, Horford, Howard, Lopez, Hibbert, Lee or either O'Neal...

Posted by: bozomoeman | March 28, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 4:45 PM

I never termed the 30th pick nor N.Young "Junk" obviously there is value,I was just trying to say that there is only one way to find out if their demands can be met, and that is to inquire. On another note, Collison was simply filling in for an injured CP3, therfore that does make him a backup and he could be available. No one knows for sure if New Orleans would like somebody at the 30th pick, that they feel would be able to fit into thir scheme of things, but there is nothing wrong with trying.

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I think you overvalue the talent that's available in the d-league. . . .

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2010 4:24 PM
///////////////////

Maybe so. But the NBA itself made a huge expansion of the D League, so I assume that real basketball guys think it is creating value.

And some of the value is going to disappear soon, when the better players start signing with overseas teams.

So there's an opportunity cost to carrying Oberto on the roster.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 28, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"And with 10 games left in the season, the window on evaluating players who are brand new to the team is already closed. That's what training camp and summer league are for, at this point."

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 28, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 28, 2010 5:15 PM

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 28, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the Duke game and the way they play Defense is something that is taught and has nothing to do with talent.

I wonder why in the NBA so much emphasis in some organizations is left to the individual becoming a good defensive player.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 28, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

ever since I found that Wes Johnson was 23yrs old, not so high on drafting him. Would like more upside in a top5 pick.

Posted by: divi3 | March 28, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

"I never termed the 30th pick nor N.Young "Junk"

I never said you did. I said it was junk. And I'm 100% certain that's what the Hornets would call if if the Wizards offered it for Collison. Moreover, while you may not have specifically called Young "junk" the fact that you said this about him:

"I would hold on to everyone except for Young, whose production will be the easist to replace."

Pretty clearly indicates that you don't consider him a high value asset. So, again, why would the Hornets trade a starting caliber PG for an "easily replaceable" backup SG and the last pick in the first round? Again, they wouldn't.

"On another note, Collison was simply filling in for an injured CP3, therfore that does make him a backup and he could be available."

Oh please. He wasn't just filling space. He thrived in a starting role, putting up numbers comparable to Brandon Jennings in Milwaukee. Whether or not he's coming off the bench is irrelevant to the issue. There are plenty of backup players in the NBA who could be starting on different teams. What matters is whether he has starting caliber talent, and Collison has proven that he does.

"I don't get that at all. Why is the window already closed on evaluating players who are brand new to the team? This should be the ideal time to do it."

Because they'll be playing in an unfamiliar system with limited practice time and little opportunity to acclimate themselves and, most likely, almost no real game time. It would be pointless. Moreover, D-League players are fill-in-the-cracks talent. The Wizards aren't in a position where they need to worry about filling in the cracks when they haven't even poured the foundation yet.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

very good point about Cousins retaining future value even if he doesnt work out here. I just worry with Flip being such a bonafide puss, does it make any sense at all to bring in a college kid who has no trepidations about jawing with his coach on the sidelines.

Posted by: divi3 | March 28, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I misspoke earlier. Collison actually put up better numbers than Brandon Jennings as a starter: 18 pts/9apg/3.5 rpg vs. Jennings' 16 ppg/6apg/3.5rpg. He also shot a higher percentage from the field, the 3pt line, and the FT line.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Well gotta be psyched to think we got a true chance of getting Wall or Turner (in the end looking at a 15.6% to 11.9% chance at the #1 pick depending on where we finish), and can expect a most likely scenario of either Favors or Cousins.

Gotta like the out of the blue unexpected emergence of Livingston. Gotta like the play of Blatche since Jamison was moved (his not returning to the game incident, and recent complaints of not getting enough shots and being underpaid notwithstanding), the play of newly aquired Thornton and Singleton, as well as Alonzo Gee.

McGee has been a bit disapointing after showing some flash after the trades. I still don't understand why he doesn't get some run at PF where his size, length and atheticism can cause fits for opponents. At this point he just doesnt have the strength or weight to consistantly man the center spot against physical lowpost players.

Young has also been a disapointment. I just don't think he will ever get it. Just the look on his face and his body language.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"I still don't understand why he doesn't get some run at PF where his size, length and atheticism can cause fits for opponents."

If McGee plays PF, then who's going to play C? And it's hard to se where his size, length, and athleticism will be any more likely to overcome his lack of strength, timing, vision, court savvy, or basic bball IQ at PF any more than they do at C. If anything, he'd be at even more of a disadvantge at PF, because at that position he'd be even more likely to be matched up against mobile, athletic, highly skilled players than at c, where the pickings are slimmer league wide.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"But if you want someone who is not new to the team, there is Paul Davis, who in fact made the team in training camp."

Because they needed an extra practice body when Jamison got hurt in preseason. He had zero impact on the team.

"Very good point PostSubscriber. It seems the decision to pick up Oberto and to drop Davis in hindsight is quite questionable."

It's not even slightly questionable because such a decision was never made. Davis wasn't let go to make room for Oberto. In fact, both were on the roster when the regular season started.

And even if it had been made, it would only be questionable if you can offer some evidence that suggests that Davis was any more likely to contribute something of significance than Oberto. I'm pretty sure no such evidence exists.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 5:52 PM

No, I don't consider N. Young "junk" along with the 30th pk. You do. That simply is not the case.
As far as replaceable goes , that pertained to Young as opposed to the other 3 players who were named in the article.

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@divi3

I hear you about Flip.
There is so much about next season we just don't know, this team might even be called the Wizards by next season.

The biggest question in regards to any new player(s) is who will control the locker room next season?

We witnessed first hand how much influence our two "Co-Captains" the last two years were able to wield.

CB and AJ should have established a level of professionalism that was conducive to winning but chose only to whine in the papers.

Are Singleton and Thornton, the toughest players on this team, the types to step up as leaders and establish a more adult attitude in the locker room?

If so, will they have the backing from the new front office to straighten out any and everybody that acts a fool?

Posted by: bozomoeman | March 28, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"No, I don't consider N. Young "junk" along with the 30th pk. You do."

Didn't I already say that? Yes, I did. So what's your point in saying it again, like it's a revelation? None that I can see.

And, again, you did say:

Which is a pretty clear indication that you don't hold Young's value in high regard. You've said absolutely nothing to dispute either point.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 9:35 AM of PG Darren Collison

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 5:52 PM

The point I'm trying to make, is that we should inquire, and that no stones be left unturned. I was not aware of your 100% certainty.

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I know full well what point you're making. it wasn't exactly written in code. My point is that such an offer will inevitably fail, not only to acquire Collison, but even to open serious negotiations, because it so clearly undervalues what the Hornets would be willing to even consider taking in exchange for Collison.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 6:16 PM |

Very well put and I cannot say that Davis would have been a better contributor than Oberto, but it was highly indicated at the time that Oberto would bring veteran back up experience that hasn't really measured up or come to acceptable fruition.

Paul Davis on the other hand we don't know, but having seen what Oberto has done thus far, we can't really discount had we kept Davis or even bring him in now as PostSubsciber alludes to whether or not some tangible value might not be realized.

This dosen't really refute your point of course and at the same time we can't really discount whether Davis would be a waist of time.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 28, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

and now Duke will ride ticky-tack fouls to victory

Posted by: divi3 | March 28, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 6:42 PM

Kal, I know where your coming from, and this conversation is only predicated on the chance we do not get a top 2 pick. Hey, I like Collison's game, and he could help us alot. But if we can't get him, I wouldn't mind getting Udoh from Baylor with the 30th pick.

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody notice that Duke is using the triangle offense?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 28, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Well I love ACC, especially MD, so I'd love to see a Favors, Booker, Vasquez draft.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

However I definately do not want Singler!

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 7:13 PM

No doubt.In the next 60 days or so, this team will have a lot more depth, and possibly a shot at a playoff birth next year.

Posted by: Raef | March 28, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

What does everyone think?

Can Livingston be our starting PG, moving Arenas to SG?

Should we keep Nick Young?

Should we keep Blatche?

Should we re-sign Miller, Foye, Howard, Singleton?

If we land the 3rd pick should we take Favors or Cousins, or someone else?

Should we keep Saunders and/or Grunfeld?

What free agents shold we target?

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Got to see part of yesterday's game this morning on the rebound. When they put McGEE in, the JAZZ began to put the WIZ away. I looked and looked for some signs of development from JAVALE to no AVALE. Pardon the spelling, but the kid was just lost and wandering in the wilderness. He has almost no court awareness. Puts himself in impossible positions for rebounds and most shots. At times, he's on the perimeter and just stands around as the rock heads toward the hoop. No attempt to mix it up inside, or to get rebound position. Really bad. Shot blocking is his one main asset as it was last year.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 28, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bozomoeman | March 28, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

They'll stay busy that's for sure with NY, GA, and J-Mac on the club.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 28, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I like Livingston in the backcourt. He has rarely played in years. He has stepped into a new team and coach and has beat out Foye and Boykins to emerge as our staring pg. We can play him with Arenas and free Gil from the burden of "running the team" and trying to figure out the mix of setting up everyone else while at the same time finding his spots, thinking too much and turning it over. With Livingston Gil can focus on scoring, attacking, dropping 3s, and drive and dish. I want to see what Livingston does with a full offseason working on his strength and conditioning, and a full training camp.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

trust; me, NICK YOUNG, will not be back. Nick agent said so.

Posted by: maejude | March 28, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

maejude where you see that?

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Should we re-sign Miller, Foye, Howard, Singleton?

I would re-up FOYE, maybe. NY is finally beginning to show out with some burn. Then you've got FOYE as a combo guard, ditto ARENAS, NY, and ROSS at the #2. Do you need them all? Maybe, maybe not depending on the draft.

SINGLETON should be pointed right at OBERTO's slot next year with a contract and double his current salary. He would make an excellent fourth front-liner.

I would not offer either MILLER or HOWARD for the primary reason of money. Both would be looking at 11 mil plus.

In MILLER's case, I like his game generally, but not 11 million's worth.

In HOWARD's situation, he has an injury history, currently has a blown out knee, and the club is all too familiar with rehabing players, plus his option would be well over 11 million. NO!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 28, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Oberto - let go.

McGee - would like to keep him. He needs some serious work this offseason though and alot of coaching. We need a legit big man coach.

Blatche - keep him. Starting up front with either Favors or Cousins.

Singleton - keep. Solid backup PF.

Thornton - keep. Possible starting SF, most likely a top reserve off the bench.

Gee - keep. Love his energy off the bench. In a sense replaces Dom McGuire.

Miller - keep. Starting SF, plays hard, good attitude and versatile all around game. Moves the ball, rebounds, extends the D with his 3pt shot.

Josh Howard - not easy decision here IMO. can keep at team option...keep his salary spot open for NEXT offseason (Carmello Anthony ???). Or can attempt to decline option and re-sign at a lower deal. Played very well after arriving here. Major injuries to ankle and knee make him a question mark, as well as his rep as a drinker/party animal. If he is a bad influence on Blatche and rest of team he needs to go. But the way he played all out when here, and his quickness and scoring ability on the perimeter could be huge for us. This is really a big question mark. Too many questions at this point regarding health and work ethic... at this point would say no, let him go and move on.

Nick Young - let him go, move him.

Ross - under contract, good defender, ok end of bench guy.

Arenas - back... move him to the 2?

Foye - wouldn't mind keeping him, he is a restricted FA. Dont really see a role for him however with Arenas' return. Combo guard off the bench. Maybe package with Young in a sign and trade?

Livingston - keep and give him an opportunity to win the starting PG job.

Boykins - let him go. Would consider keeping him as a backup point if we can't upgrade our depth there though.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

On Howard and money. We have make it work.

But on the other hand, if his health is really a factor then that should be primary consideration on whether we keep him or not and not the money.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 28, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm not real excited looking at the list of free agents...

I like Houston's PG Kyle Lowry, former college teammate of Foye, who could fill the quick pg off the bench for us in place of Boykins. He is a restricted FA. Maybe work a Nick Young for Lowry sign and trade deal?

I think we should just try to build up our stock of young players at this point and keep our cap space to go after 'Melo next offseason.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I think Livingston has already won he starting point guard. There is no question that Gil plays the two. To have him back up Gil at the point is a waist of time and talent.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 28, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Ok... what do we have here come next season??

Draft... is Favors the guy? Can we put Favors at starting PF and start Blatche at center? Re-sign Miller (hopefully at a lower deal). Arenas and Livingston in the backcourt...

Blatche, Favors, Miller, Arenas, Livingston. Top reserves Thornton and Foye. McGee, Singleton, Gee, Ross, Bokins make up rest of bench?

Is this a competitive team? What free agents could we add to this mix?

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I would like to hear from Arenas regarding has he been watching this team? What is his opinion of the Jamison and Butler/Haywood deals? What does he think of his new teammates such as Thornton and Livingston? What is his opinion on Josh Howard? How would he feel moving to SG? I mean I haven't heard anything from him about any of this??!

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I see Gil & Dray the only sure starters next year.
Javale won't be ready for prime time by then but he should be a Wizzie.
Who's gonna be the other 3 starters????
Singleton, Livingston & Gee should be backups but the rest won't be missed if their let go.

Posted by: VBFan | March 28, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I mean I haven't heard anything from him about any of this??!

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 8:50 PM

He has had other things on his mind lately.

Posted by: VBFan | March 28, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe Gil doesn't have something to say about the way Blatche has become the star of the team.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

What do you all think about Greivis Vasquez as a 2nd round pick?

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 28, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Star of a team that's lost 15 straight= tallest midget.

Posted by: divi3 | March 28, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I think it's more likely that NO will part with their lottery pick than Collison. They made a lot of quick fix type trades last year to get under the cap. That's going to hurt them this year.

Posted by: djnnnou | March 28, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Dear customers, thank you for your support of our company.
Here, there's good news to tell you: The company recently
launched a number of new fashion items! ! Fashionable
and welcome everyone to come buy. If necessary,
welcome to :===== http://www.smalltrade.net ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33

Handbags(Coach l v f e n d i d&g) $35

Tshirts (ed hardy,lacoste) $16

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,A r m a i n i) $16

New era cap $15

Bikini (Ed hardy,) $25

FREE sHIPPING

====== http://www.smalltrade.net ====

Posted by: itkonlyyoudd | March 28, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 28, 2010 5:52 PM
//////////////////////
It's more like trying to build a house when there are shortages, and global competition, for all the key building materials. In that situation, one would acquire and stockpile quality materials whenever they can be found at the right price.

But here, I'm not saying that the Wizards should be signing D Leaguers to long term contracts. I'm just saying, give em tryouts against real NBA competition. All that stuff about limited practice time, etc. seems to describe the Wizards whole season since the trades. That's no reason to give up on trying to acquire talent.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 29, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Si, yo quiero el senor DERRICK FAVORS para el primero seleccion de la WIZARDS en 2010 NBA draft, y senor JEROME JORDAN segundo por favor.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 29, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Gil can play without the ball so I don't think he can play the 2. Gil needs a shooter next to him. Livingston is not a shooter. Miller would be ideal because he is big enough to play next to Gil, but you got to make him shoot.

Complain all you want about Gil being a jacker and not a pure point guard, but under Gil, offense/scoring has NEVER been the problem. Even with non-shooters like DeShawn and Jared Jeffries playing next to him. Even without a legitimate low-post threat, ever, the scoring was not the problem with Gil.

That does not mean that Gil will be the same, but 23 and 7 is respectable and he would have been improving on that if he hadn't messed up and got suspended.

Sure last year the team under-achieved, but were we being realistic, especially early? Jamison was injured from the jump. Then Miller got hurt. All the while Gil was rusty at the jump.

Posted by: G-Man11 | March 29, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Some GM is always going to believe they can "fix" a big man.

Perkins, Bogut, Horford, Howard, Lopez, Hibbert, Lee or either O'Neal...
Posted by: bozomoeman

I agree 100% with point #2 and have never been sure why the Wizards didn't bring in someone with a little more heft (Paul Davis or someone from the D-league) after the trades to help out inside and get a look at them, like we've done with Livingston and Gee. Watching the Wiz get bullied on the boards by Boozer, I sort of understand. Getting bullied by Mehmet Okur I can't take.

But #1 is an example of an NBA aphorism that I don't subscribe to any longer, paired with another great one "You can't teach height." Just as equally valid is "You can't teach heart." The "make it big" arguments lead teams to overvalue bigs and ignore other factors, for exactly the reason you mentioned..."we can fix that." It's why guys like Shelden Williams get taken ahead of Deron Williams and CP3, Darko ahead of Carmelo and Wade, etc, etc, etc. It's why the Wiz drafted Pech.

Drafting in the late first round, I can understand taking a chance on a big body. If the Wiz wanted to take a chance on someone like Dexter Pittman (I know there are prrobably better choices, he's just the first name that comes to mind as a big body) with their late first or early second, I wouldn't agree with it, but I can understand it. Because the Wiz definitely need some more heft.

But top 5 lottery picks are money picks. There are a bunch of analyses that say you have a better shot at scoring a great player in the top 5 picks. After pick 5 it turns into a real crapshoot. So while I see Cousins talent, I don't know if I want to risk the pick on the chance that Cousins might not be the knucklehead he appears to be, especially given where this franchise is. And especially if there are as good or better alternatives talent-wise.

Posted by: ts35 | March 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Re: The rest of it....

Livingston: He has earned a chance to be part of the picture next year (assuming another team doesn't scoop him up). I like his game, I like his growing confidence. He needs to work on his J, but no doubt he will do that. As to whether he can be the starter next year, I still have questions about how well his knee can hold up for 30+mins x 82 games. He has earned the chance, but they better have a good plan B.

Miller: People need to get off of the 9-11 million dollar contract issue. 1) He's the last year of his deal and since most NBA contracts escalate in value over their term, this is the most expensive year of his contract. The average value for his deal was much lower. 2) Given his play and the general state of finance in the NBA, he is not going to command a 9 million average contract. Maybe 6. So enough with the "I like him, but not at 9 mil talk" Ain't happenin.

Lineup of Blatche, Favors, Miller/Thorton, Gil, Livingston...My only problem is that is doesn't deal with our current problem of being a bit undersized. Putting Blatche at C does him a bit of a disservice. He's already a finesse player at PF. He should be able to out-quick a lot of C's, but he'll get abused on the D-end and on the boards, generally. I think you could get Blatche or Favors minutes at the C to get them time on the floor, and probably together depending on the matchup. But I can't see that being our 30+ minutes a night starting lineup. I'm not at all against drafting Favors, we'd just need more options at the C between those guys and McGee.

Drafting Grevis with our #2. It depends partly on how he shows in pre-draft. I wouldn't mind picking him up for the Wiz. He's tough, he knows how to play, and could be an excellent role player. Unless opinions on him across the NBA improve though, I don't know if you need to use a 2nd rounder on him. Their tourney run raised his profile a bit, but there are still questions about whether he will be drafted at all. If it doesn't look like he will be drafted, pick someone else and bring him in as an undrafted FA. It's not really a question of whether they should take a look at him, they totally should, it's just a question of allocating draft picks. For a team that has a lot of needs, that high #2 is going to be a valuable pick.

Posted by: ts35 | March 29, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse