Gee to get second 10-day contract

Andray Blatche limped off the court at Pepsi Center on Tuesday with a sprained left ankle. Randy Foye lost his starting job at point guard and his left wrist was so sore after a loss to the Denver Nuggets that it made a clicking sound whenever he moved it. JaVale McGee was down on himself after his fourth consecutive sub-par performance. About the only member of the Wizards who was able to survive this grueling five-games-in-six-nights stretch with some positive vibes was newcomer Alonzo Gee.

I'm going to be around for another 10 days. (Photo by Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images)

After Gee recorded his first career double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds, and adding two steals in 26 minutes off the bench, Coach Flip Saunders said that the team intends on signing him to a second 10-day contract. Gee has shown steady improvement with increased playing time, and he was all over the place on Tuesday. He was asked active on the glass, fighting for extra possessions, and had to contend with Carmelo Anthony on defense with Al Thornton battling foul trouble.

"He's playing well," Saunders said. "There is no question, he's a guy that can play in this league. I like the things he does. We're going to keep on playing him, because he's athletic, he defends and he hasn't had a practice yet. We brought him in and he hasn't had a practice."

Saunders elected to go with Gee early in the first period, and he stayed aggressive throughout. He will probably be upset that he didn't have more points after missing three free throws and getting some happy feet which negated what should've been an easy, fastbreak dunk. But Gee probably wouldn't trade those points for his buzzer-beating halfcourt shot that brought the Wizards within 65-63 at the end of the third period.

"It felt great. When I was in the D-League, we actually worked on that shot," Gee said afterward. "It's a shot that I can make."

Gee said that it has been a difficult road to this point, going undrafted out of Alabama, playing summer league basketball with San Antonio, and then participating in training camp with the Minnesota before having to begin his professional career with the Austin Toros of the NBA Developmental league.

"It was tough road," Gee said. "I had to wait on the call up. It affected me because I didn't get it right when I wanted it, but other than that, I just kept working through all that."

Gee watched his scoring increase in each game, going from two points against Atlanta, to six against Detroit, to seven against Orlando, to 10 in Utah, to 13 in Denver. "Every game, it builds my confidence up higher. Got to continue to get better and keep working," Gee said. "Coach just told me to be aggressive and just play hard. It's my mentality now, from playing in the D-League."

How crazy has this season been when people start panicking because of potentially devastating ankle injury to Blatche? But there was some fear amongs some with the Wizards when he went down. After the game, Blatche said he would rest it on Wednesday and try to be ready for the game against Portland on Friday.

Foye added that he would be okay, but said, "I'm really, really banged up. Ever since the Chicago game [on Feb. 22], I'm been playing with this pain in my wrist. It's been swollen. It's been sore and been affecting me the way I dribble, the way I check guys and put my hands on them. Over this past six or seven games, it's been really tough for me. It's fatigue in your body and it's also mental fatigue. It's good that we've got these games to get some rest."

After scoring 20 points with nine rebounds against Atlanta, McGee was limited to just 21 points and 18 combined rebounds in the past four games. He said he has to get better. "I don't think I'm playing that well, but I'm just trying to fight through it and step my game up," he said.

By Michael Lee  |  March 17, 2010; 1:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blatche sprains ankle, expects to play Friday
Next: Wizards losing magic number at five

Comments

Saunders said. We're going to keep on playing him, because he's athletic, he defends and he hasn't had a practice yet...

Nick,

Quit going to practice and maybe Flip will play you?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 3:19 AM | Report abuse

I like Livingston but I think all he will ever be is a good back-up. I hope EG will get a veteran point guard to start in here next year, Arenas or no Arenas. As for Gee, why not start him a couple of games and see what happens? He couldn't be any worse than starting Dominic McGuire, who did so for a bunch of games last year.

Posted by: Janitor_with_a_Jumpshot | March 17, 2010 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Nick? Nick who?

Posted by: Janitor_with_a_Jumpshot | March 17, 2010 3:21 AM | Report abuse

Only a troll would blame anyone other than Nick Young for Nick Young's struggles.

Posted by: IrenePollin | March 17, 2010 3:34 AM | Report abuse

Flip's rotations suck.

- troll

Posted by: original_mark | March 17, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Blatche and McGee have shown enough improvement every year to have me excited about the Wiz future frontcourt.

Damn, do we need a point guard though...and a 2 assuming Gilbert can't play.

Posted by: Vicc | March 17, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards have lost NINE games in a row and Andray Blatche has turned his ankle. God help us if he's done for the year.

During that NINE game losing streak we've started Randy Foye at PG and Mike Miller at the three. Neither Foye, nor Miller, have put up significant scoring numbers. Andray Blatche has been our offense, with ocasional contributions from Al Thornton and JaVale McGee.

Randy Foye IS what he IS. He is a combo guard. He doesn't play good defense and he isn't a scoring guard. He is predictable and should never be counted on to lead an NBA offense. Meanwhile, Shaun Livingston is wasting away while Randy Foye is eating up minutes on the court.

Mike Miller is a journeyman Small Forward. He has a reputation as a sharpshooter from 3-pt range. But, he rarely attempts three pointers. He is slow and almost never drives to the basket. So why is he getting 33 minutes a night?

Yet, people on this blog waste time blasting Nick Young. Outside of Blatche and Thornton, there is no one else on this squad who can create their own shot and score the basketball. Give Young 32 minutes a night and you'll get 20 points a night.

Posted by: musicmanjr | March 17, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Miller is getting undeserved playing time. Why???

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 17, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I like seeing the new guys just traded for/ signed are getting some time. I'm much happier seeing a team trying and losing then have our past stars breaking our hearts w/ poor effort night after night. I hope they keep the curr roster heading into next season...maybe get a similar young/ untested center and have McGee learn to start. Good job Wizkids.

Posted by: leopsan | March 17, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: IrenePollin | March 17, 2010 3:34 AM | Report abuse

Irene,

Only you, kal, Ernie and Etaps believe the organization has no responsibility in aiding a player’s in his development.

Name one player who has developed under the current administration?

Speaking of blame, why has the organization blamed being one of the worst teams in the NBA for years on injuries and bad luck when anyone with any BB IQ knows it’s been the owner, GM and the coaches?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

O' Mark, Is it the rotations? or the rotatees?

Not a lot to work with.

Blatche is finding out just how hard you have to work to be relied on every night. That 24/7 stuff is for real.

McGee's got the tools to be really good in this league, does he have the drive to spend about 3 off seasons building his body and honing those skills? I wonder if anyone has talked to him about his diet, in Oct. he ooked like he had built some upper body mass, right now he looks down right skinny & haggard.

Wes Unseld used to say you had to teach rookies how & what to eat to survive the NBA grind.

Howard didn't just put on a cape and become Superman. That guy has spent some serious gym time building an NBA body. McGee's gotten enough run these first two years to see what his weaknesses are and what he needs to do.

Livingston and Gee could turn into two contributors that Ernie found on the scrap heap. But Livingston still needs some major time in the gym. The guy's still got to rebuild his leg strength and he's got to get into NBA shape.

But both guys really do show some NBA level skills. Livingston's got a real nice court awareness about him. He'd be a nice complement to a scorer like Arenas in the backcourt.

Gee reminds me a little of old Darvin Ham and the Ham Slams and Hamwich dunks. He does seem to have a jumper though, Ham's range was about the length of his arm.

So Gee does actually have a possible upside, Ham remained the same player most of his career.

This stretch reminds me of those Pirate Tee Shirts that you see at the beach, "THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES...

Posted by: flohrtv | March 17, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Name one player who has developed under the current administration?

Posted by: bulletsfan78

How about Andray Blatche?

Posted by: ajedwardsjr | March 17, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Javale is getting the crap kicked out of him. Looks like a 230 pound boy getting beat down by 245 pound men. GOOD. Hopefully that gets him in the gym all summer on a 5kcal/day high protein diet. Seriously.

As much as his poor play is on him...it's also an indictment of our backcourt. What happend to the alley-oops? Every night he cuts to the rim, and the ball doesnt come. He generally gets the ball in lousy situations relative to his modest skill set. A quality PG would get him 4-5 easy buckets a night.

Amazing how lousy (at times) every player on the floor other than AB is. Almost want to see Blatche miss a game just to see if we can crack 60pts without him

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Other than alley oops and put backs I don't think McGee should get the ball anywhere near the basket. Other centers would back down their defender, or use fancy foot work and pump fakes. He gotta develop the offensive skill set and get that FG% above 55% where most good nba centers are.

Posted by: jefferu | March 17, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Name one player who has developed under the current administration?

Posted by: bulletsfan78

How about Andray Blatche?

Posted by: ajedwardsjr | March 17, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

How about Andray Blatche?

Why wasn’t he getting minutes while AJ was getting his 35 a night before he got traded?

Someone else wrote this so I won’t take credit for it…someone on a bad team needs to score the basketball so don’t put AB into the hall of fame just yet.

I am on record that Ernie has gotten lucky drafting AB and Michael Redd, but drafting two players in all of the years Ernie has been a GM is about equal to the amount of times kal has been right with his posts?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

1) Send Nick Young to the d league

2) Wonder what this team would have looked like if we had only done the Jamison trade?

Posted by: junkmail0153 | March 17, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

There cannot be any justifiable reason for saying that the Wizards developed Blatche.

For, if they had developed Blatche, they surely did not know what they have or had in Blatche.

For, if they developed Blatche and knew what they had, they would have moved Jamison to the three starting last year and let Blatche start some games at the power forward.

If not last year, then certainly this year. And McGee should have been getting major PT at the Center position last year.

Even this year they had Blatche subbing for Haywood when clearly it did not help the Team and Blatche dosen't perform well at center second of all.

The ones that are now willing to say that the Wizards actually developed Blatche are probably the same ones that said he had no work ethic, was a party guy, and should have been traded.

And if they did develop Blatche, who is developing McGee?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

And if they did develop Blatche, who is developing McGee?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Wes Unseld Jr?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Development by Wes Unseld Jr. would be development by the theory of osmosis. Big Wes knew a thing or two about big man play, so I guess his son might too.

BulletsFan78, let's not sell the young fella to short. LOL.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 17, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I, like most of you, am pleased with how Blatche has played since Jamison was traded. However, he still has to earn full trust from me over a longer period of time.

The reason I say that yes, the "team" did not develop him. But, Blatche is not blameless in his lack of playing time. Did he destroy Jamison in practice or did he show bad practice habits? We all got on Jamison about his defense, surely Blatche should have had a lot of success in practice, which should have gone a long way to getting playing time during games.

Now, Blatche should be praised for stepping up now, even if the games are meaningless, but he did nothing when games were meaningful. That is when he let his parents(Jamison, Haywood) do all the work. Now that he lost his parents, he stepped up. Let's see what he does when the going gets tough or if he can help lead them to playoff contention next year.

Posted by: G-Man11 | March 17, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

So if I have this straight, what you guys are saying is that if a player doesn't develop, like NY, it's the organization's fault. But if he does develop, like AB, the organization has nothing to do with it....

I think AB indicted his own contributions to his development when he came into this season talking about changing his diet and being committed to working harder, and the number change to 7 for 7 days a week of work...With Nick, all I heard coming into this season was him balking at doing the things Flip asked him to do.

Not saying the Wiz are geniuses at player development by any stretch, and Ernie is certainly no genius in the draft, but you can't lay NY's lack of development at their feet. The only thing I fault them (Flip) for is not being consistent with Nick's minutes. I think I know why that is -- lack of effort, bonehead mistakes -- but it still would probably help Nick to have a more defined role, just as it does for every player.

As to why MM plays so much in a season gone down the tubes? The only guess I have left is that Flip has some illusions of still trying to run his offense such as it is. Most of the rest of the guys are too new. Personally I think it's past time to scrap that and just play the guys who you need to learn something about for next year.

One other Flip pet peeve that I think is getting to us all....The way Flip waxes rhapsodic about his ex-players. Do you think he also spends a lot of time telling his wife how great his ex-girlfriends are?

Posted by: ts35 | March 17, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

ts35,

Well...yeah, I guess this org' get damned for not deveoping a player and yeah they get damned when a player like Blatche develops on his own.

I guess why the org' dosen't get credit either way says a lot for how bad it has been historically with it's player decisions and development.

Great points though in you blog.
LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

ts35 who did hear it from flip because nick have did what ever was ask of him. FLIP didn't play stuckey or affollo with detroit, stuckey and affollo are both starting. there's and old saying, you can't teach what you don't know, the wizards have not developed one player they drafted, they trade for players developed by other teams, that says a lot about the front office. Let nick get some[ojt] on the job training.

Posted by: maejude | March 17, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | March 17, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

i thin that's all any of us have been saying about NY and MM. And i don't know that NY balked at everything that Flip said. He said he was cool with the Rip experiment but would also play his game. You can hate the guy for not wanting to play like a robot and add some creativity to his game, but think about the guys who didn't get talked about in the offseason but don't produce;like foye and miller. Flip didn't talk up their roles in the offense, but he does give them big mins (foye not so much as of late) regardless of production. i'm sorry, but aside from the 7 rebs MM was a non factor last night, and honestly i'm not as impressed by the rebs as i used to be. And in the words of Flip, only used to describe Ab, miller's a
"high turnover guy" now. he has to learn that defenders are overplaying the passing lanes when he drives. he's got to shoot the ball.

BTW anybody catch the scumbag move by Flip putting Javale back in the game with a lil over a min left? If not for Al Thronton's foul out he woulda been sitting by the scorer's table watching the game end. I dunno i just didn't like it, alomst as much as Gee's powerdunk with 9 secs left.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 17, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

This organization HAS had an arrogance toward not developing younger players without huge college reputations. They aren't fortunate enough to get the ones WITH huge college reputations.(e.i. Blake Griffin)

You can't use Blatche as an example in their favor. The same Blatche that had to wait 5 years to get real pt.

Some morons throw out the "Its up to the player to put in the work on his own" disclaimer as if each situation is not unique in its own. They never comment about the teams bad track record with young players. Maybe its just a coincedence we keep getting "slow" players.

The franchise has mad very little progress if any over the last decade because of this arrogance.

Someone please let me know when they accomplish something to support this philosophy toward developing a team.

Posted by: millineumman | March 17, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"And I don't understand why the listed weights are so different from the weights right now. Are they the weights when the season begins or when they are drafted. It says McGee is 252 and NeNe is 250. Is this telling me they are the same size when NeNe is obviously bigger and stronger than McGee? nba website also says lebron is 250 when jeff van gundy was present at the weigh in and lebron was 275. Where are these numbers coming from Posted by: jefferu"

If you think the weights are off, check out the height measurements.

I imagine a player gets weighed on the first day of the first camp and that stays with him like his uniform number.

Javale probably does weigh 252, however. But it's all in his lower body. Nene is probably fifteen pounds heavier, but his weight is in that upper body. Plus he's a couple inches shorter than McGee.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Meaningful games?Aren't all games meaningful when you are in competition in this league.Do you think games aren't meaningful cause ur 20 games back with 10 to play.I think this league is about competition between u and the man u guard thats how u get better in this league.But the wizards need a leader on this team.Personally I dont think you can be a leader if someone has to throw you the ball,can anyone name some leaders of their team that is dependent on someone else throwing them the ball down low?Not many if any.The leaders of teams of the new millenium are players that can handle the ball and make their teammates better by using that ability!GO WIZ!!

Posted by: BRUBOI | March 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Still trying to figure out how y'all figure the org' gets no credit for Blatche's development. So far, the arguments against I have seen have amounted to they didn't move AJ to SF to make room for Blatche and there was a rumor of EG talking about trading him for Augustin.

On the other side of the ledger....They stuck with him through the gun shot wound, stuck with him through the solicitation episode, EG resigned him to a long-term deal even though he hadn't produced much on the court yet, and his minutes have steadily increased every year. Everyone seems to forget that he played a lot last year because of Haywood's injuries and didn't show this consistency. AB gets credit for committing to playing harder this year, but to give the org' no credit for sticking with him makes zero sense.

Posted by: ts35 | March 17, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The players the wizards draft and trade away become allstars or good players on other teams, because the other teams put time and effect in to developing them. IN flip case with nick it's become personal he does not like nick, not his game but his person, this is fact.

Posted by: maejude | March 17, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

ASK me how i know.

Posted by: maejude | March 17, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Re: player development and who is responsible

That doesnt excuse bonedheadedness from a player- but it's just good business sense to maximize your investments.

Does anyone think JaStickman is going to get much bigger/stronger on his own? You need to get him with a world class trainer who creates a diet/exercise program for him which is followed religiously all summer. Anything less is shortchanging the organization and the player.

Mandatory treadmill sessions and 45min dumbbell routines at VC simply do not cut it in this day and age

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"This organization HAS had an arrogance toward not developing younger players without huge college reputations."

I'm trying to think of the basis for this assertion. The Wiz haven't drafted many players with 'huge' college reps -- maybe because they haven't had the opportunity. Nick Young wasn't well-known outside Southern California. The two guys they drafted in 2002, Jeffries and Dixon, were probably the best known this decade. Devin Harris was really Dallas' pick. Other than that -- who'd heard much about Jarvis Hayes, Bill Walker, Oly Pecherov, Veremeekno, Dom McGuire, Peter Ramos, Javale McGee? Even Steve Blake was only known in this area. Blatche was a little-known high school player, for pete's sake.

Seems to me the Wiz have specialized in high-risk picks, but have also had some bad luck (like Jarvis Hayes). And they've made some trades that didn't work, like Devin Harris (but as I pointed out, he wasn't really their pick.)

Big reps? They're not drafting for big reps.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@samson

point being, he's exactly the player they should have been expecting

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyone else there who's still ticked about the trade last spring of the #5 pick for MM and Foye? What an ABSOLUTE waste. It seems that no one is talking about this especially in light of how good some of the rookies are performing that could've been selected with that pick. What can they possibly do now with these two guys? Do they have any value as trade baits this summer? I vaguely recall that they're both due for free agency so they might walk without anything in return. Who in their RIGHT mind makes such a deal? Well, none other than our very own Wizards.

I'm not on here much so you regulars might've already debated this whole issue, but I'm simply so disappointed in the decision-making process of EG. I hope he gets the boot once the new "Sheriff" (owner) comes to town to clean house.

By the way, thanks for the positive article considering the absolute dismal season. I've learned to love rooting for underdogs, but I'm not so fond of pulling for doormats.

Well, next year will be a new year (or will it...?).

Okay...I'm done with my rant. God bless!

Posted by: humen8r | March 17, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: millineumman

Yeah, because it could never take that long for a big man drafted out of high school to develop *cough* jermaine o'neal *cough*

Again, I'm not saying the Wiz are geniuses at player development, just trying to argue against the inherent contradiction in saying if a player doesn't develop, it's the organizations fault, but if a player does develop the org had nothing to do with it.

After trying to look for a particular quote, I will revise my comments on Nick to say that he did work hard on his game (at least his offense) apparently this summer, and did go into Summer League trying to bring some of those Rip elements into his game. The quote I was looking for which lilh referenced came at the end of Summer League which I took to mean "I tried his way, and now I'm gonna do me". And I was trying to find it to see if that's an accurate portrayal.

There was a pretty damning quote from Flip about him in October, but it doesnt really add anything to everything we've already said.

Posted by: ts35 | March 17, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"Do they have any value as trade baits this summer? I vaguely recall that they're both due for free agency so they might walk without anything in return."

probably the most damning aspect of the trade is that many would prefer both do walk.

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

Any evidence that they haven't been doing this? At least the part about getting him a trainer, etc. Apparently he spent all offseason working on his core. I doubt he was doing it without at least some connection with the Wiz's training staff. Not having been there, though, I have no idea.

Posted by: ts35 | March 17, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Big reps? They're not drafting for big reps.

Posted by: Samson151
==================

Posted by: millineumman

You probably should have included this part of my post. It may have helped unless you desire to disagree with me.

I acknowledge that we are unfortunate with the lottery and injuries, etc...

I feel they look to move picks or draft overseas guys and stash them over there and worry about it later. That's just how I feel. I hope it clears some of it up for you.

Posted by: millineumman | March 17, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | March 17, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

His minutes increased last year because of injuries and this year because of the AJ trade?

Ernie also exercised the contract option on Nick this year?

So what does that tell you?

Ernie

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | March 17, 2010 12:48 PM

I dont know what they are doing either, though booking some time with Tim Grover or the like is what I'm talking about. Very few teams have in-house staff equal to the type of outfits you see people like Mcnabb etc going to every offseason.

Of course, a huge part of it is on the player's willingness to invest the time and effort. One motivational tool I can think of is telling the player: We think you can be dominant in this league and we are 110% behind you getting there now.

I want to hear that AB/JM spent the offseason pushing each other like they've been told they're the foundation of the franchise.

Because even if they're not....it will make them better players.

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

divi3

From what I've read from Flip so far this year I don't think he's going to be the one telling them?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Flip has to tow a fine line. Given ABs previous lapses, they must want to keep him hungry so to speak and not lavish any praise.

Javale hasnt accomplished squat in the league, and cant get full of himself over dunking.

That said, you think there is any chance whatsoever Flip say to AB:

"You can be better than KG was if you just put in the work, and I'll show you how."

Hope he motivates like that, but somehow I doubt it.

and for the record, I'm not saying AB is greater than KG- i'm saying you can tell him that

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

maejude,

I'd like to know. So what is this personal issue with Nick and Flip?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 17, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

You guys sound so damned ignorant talking about how players are developed! Just pure talking out of your.... We trade away players then they become all-stars?!? Really, hmmm, seems to me GA, AJ, and CB all became first time all-stars when they joined the Wiz. Oh, oops, forgot, we use selective memory in here to support our pessimistic agendas. Yeah, Blatche hasn't developed under the management of this team?!? Really. We only drafted him out of HS and he looks now to be on the cusp of all-star material. Wow, if that's not the text book definition of "developing" a player, whatever that means, then I don't know what is. Oh, yeah, it's bc he didn't start in place of AJ at the beginning of this season. That's why he wasn't really "developed" properly?!? Are you f'ing kidding me? Laughably stupid comment.

And, a small re-cap for you anti-EG fools. He built this team through trades and FA signings primarily, which is where we spent all our cap space. That team was good enough to make the playoffs 4 years in a row. Therefore, his draft picks have all been late first round picks and second rounders. Most of which are still active on NBA rosters, which is no small feat unto itself. But, what about this pick and what about that pick you say?!? Yeah, give me a list of the players drafted by any GM the past 6 years and I'll show you a whole lot of failure. He also drafted potential building blocks in AB and JM. The "he can't draft" mantra is just plain dumb. His reputation is that he is one of the better GM's at finding real talent late in the draft. And, he has built Finals teams in NY, perennial playoff teams in Milwaukee, and a perennial playoff team here. If he chooses a "Kenny Green" with our lottery pick this year, we can talk. Otherwise, just can the pessimistic crap or root for another team. It's tired.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 17, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@divi3,

What? What the f are you blabbing about? Motivation techniques and pondering on what or what is not done when you have no clue?!? FS has won hundreds of NBA games and made millions of dollars at a job that requires a high IQ when it comes to motivation and motivational techniques. But, I suppose you should hold a seminar for him to attend!?! Right. Holiday INN next week, conference room 1. Be there. LMAO.

On to better things: Gee is a player!
Dude hustles, competes, has a real solid frame, has a nose for the ball, plays defense - see him dogging Melo and JR Smith, and can shoot the ball it appears. Look out NY, he makes you look like a non-competitive loafer. Ooops, could it be that's why you don't get a ton of mins every game? Nah, it's just a personal vendetta and the Wiz's attempt to thwart your "development" as much as possible, right? lol FS musings about starting Gee already is comical in that it shows not only how much of a find Gee appears to be, but how pathetic a professional NY is still. Maybe that is what NY needs to get motivated. A D-Leaguer out-ballin' and out-competing him on the court. Sad bc the dude has all the tools just not the heart and head, which I guess actually leaves him missing the hammer and screwdriver.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 17, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

rphilli, still waiting on you to mention ONE thing that's impressed you about Flip while he's been with us.

It's great you're a huge fan of those Minny and Det teams though!

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: maejude | March 17, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

i think we all agree that we don't get what we expect or "desire" from NY. But the point of contention is, why. I think the NY supporters have seen him produce when he "gets" a certain amount of PT. Detractors pull the chicken-egg argument about him getting mins for playing well not playing well b/c of mins. I think he's a guy who needs to get into a rhythm to be effective.
BTW if you're gonna talk about his defense, be fair. He played well defensively in his starts earlier in the year. He's come off the bench and played well some games and played poorly some games ( jj reddick shouldn't beat him anywhere in a footrace). All in all i think he'll be a decent pro on a team that knows how to use him.
It's interesting that Flip endures Al Thornton's sturggles, especially given Al's admitted difficulty being sore playing starter's mins, and his recent spotty play. I like Al and i loved him off the bench i with tha clips. i just think he's a 10-25 pt max guy. He can give it to you starting or off the bench. NY doesn't give you more than 20 if he plays less than 20 mins usually, but he can go for 30+ if he's getting the clock. I dunno, I would look at him starting and miller at the 3 with Al coming off the bench. Al's more aggressive and he and Gee could bring a different dimension off the bench than Singleton,Young, Earl etc.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 17, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

rphilli721

Can we talk about how Ernie made ETaps coach last year?

Can we talk about where the trades and the free agents signings got the team the last two years?

Can we talk about why the so called all stars Caron can't even get Ernie a draft pick and AJ gets the the team the 30 pick in the draft?

Can we ask who other than you thinks Ernie is one of the better GM's at finding real talent late in the draft.

Can we ask other than AB and Michael Redd what real talent has Ernie found late in the draft in how many years as a GM?

Can we ask if he gets credit for making the playoffs for 4 years (3 one and done)why shouldn't he get blamed for the last 2 years?

Maybe you should call kal and Irene and ask them to help you with the answers?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Rphilli721,

Your standing up for Ernie is like the favorite child that never does anything wrong.

The favorite one was just as mischievous and had faults like everbody else, but mom and pop treated him/her like the golden one.

Your rant just now is kinda dejavu.

You could credit the organization for the development of Blatche to the theory of Osmosis and that's it.

To develop a player, you have to do something more than sign him to a contract. And to say that GA, AJ, and CB became Allstars because of some developmental program by the wizards might be a stretch.

Loosely, Osmosis means that something happens without any effort. You must have thought I was joking when I brought up Osmosis back up the blog.

What did Ed Tapscott do last year to develop any player and what is he doing now or ever as the player development guy.

The answer would be nothing. Does Osmosis sound so silly now?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Miller can take a seat, there's really no justifiable reasoning behind playing him 40mins a night at this point. Not in relation to the goals of the team (develop players, see what's what) nor in relation to his recent play (marginal at best with periods of stinking up the joint).

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | March 17, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Ernie also exercised the contract option on Nick this year?

So what does that tell you?

Ernie

Posted by: bulletsfan78

It tells me that they saw the talent in both players but weren't seeing the night-in, night-out consistency they wanted before they committed to starting either. Even though everyone agreed the Wiz needed more depth at big man, they went into the season committed to using Blatche as the backup 4 and Blatche and McGee as the backup 5.

What does it tell you?

Posted by: ts35 | March 17, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Nick,

Quit going to practice and maybe Flip will play you?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 3:19 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe...start hustling for loose balls and rebounds and play defense and score while you are in. Oh, and get a couple of steals while you are out there, too.

***********

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

And I will take credit for that...call it the Ledell Eackles rule. went like 18 and 7 for a couple seasons in 25 win teams. Out of the league 2 years later.

Posted by: Blurred | March 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

btw, was NY really that bad last night? He scored 8pts in 16mins, compare that to the starters. The team went like 3-15 in the 3rd quarter and the game was over...anybdoy really want Singelton and Foye taking those shots?

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"Quit going to practice and maybe Flip will play you?"

You're assuming he actually goes to practice. however, his oft demonstrated lack of familiarity with the plays would tend to indicate otherwise.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 17, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

gee was jacking to get the next 10 day last night. i like his quicks,hops,and aggressiveness. But he's playing for his future right now, and guys may even be feeding him b/c they want him to stick. NY doesn't seem like the type to spite a guy b/c they play the same position. Alls i'm saying is he's a good player, but to start him seems like a stretch.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 17, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"Has there ever been a successful business that hired people, then just assumed everybody busted their butts all the time and left employees to their own devices? Of course not."

Has there ever been a successful organization that continued to employ people who, several years into their careers, proved unable to grasp the basic elements and requirements of their job and showed little to no initiative to improve? Of course not.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 17, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 17, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The place where you work.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | March 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Play "D" that never had an effect on a players playing time around here.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, next year will be a new year (or will it...?).

Okay...I'm done with my rant. God bless!

Posted by: humen8r | March 17, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I am mad but it is history,i do not waste my time talking about some thing that can not be changed now.

Posted by: gtefferra | March 17, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BRUBOI | March 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

this is silly from start to finish. This league is about entertainment value and putting asses in seats. Hence the WWE refereeing and the constant promotion of the half dozen flashiest players. If it was abotu competition, the NBA (should change their name to National basketballish Entertainment Association) would not have a not charge zone and would not have changed the drive/travel rules this offseason. They would be promoting great struggles that result in 77-75 games rather than the spectacle of the dunk.

That settled, why would anyone look to guys that are paid $5 million to $25 million on account of their freakish size and/or athletic ability to be a leader at all?

Competition is what happens the next three weeks in college ball and occasionally in the NBEA playoffsafter the first round.

Entertainment is what happens on the court from Oct 30-May 15. Or as the NBA itslef calls it..."Where Amazing Happens."

Posted by: Blurred | March 17, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, but remember that this kid is still like what, 21? Adding weight at that age can be tough, especially if you are working cardio hard and 7 ft tall. I am guessing that means that he needs extra help in thias department, but most NBA players getting serious run lose muscle mass during the season.

Give the kid a chance to become a man. Liek I said, we ain't going nowhere next year anyhow, so give him until 2011/2012 to get his strength up.

Posted by: Blurred | March 17, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"@samson according to his draft profile, Mcgee weighed 228 pounds at his pro workout session. It's a good read, describes a player more comfortable with a turnaround J than a drop step and a kid who was dunking medicine balls long after the other participants could no longer elevate. point being, he's exactly the player they should have been expecting
Posted by: divi3"

I think you're right. Rumor has it that Grunfeld really wanted Roy Hibbert, but missed by one. Strange as it seems, I don't think anybody fully realized what an athlete McGee was until camp, when they realized he was dunking on baskets that hadn't been fully lowered. And yes, he was more of a jump-shooter than a power player.

My feeling is, anybody who winds up with Javale McGee at 18 has an angel looking over his shoulder on draft day.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | March 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Play "D" that never had an effect on a players playing time around here.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 17, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

OK, how about doing the other things? Nick is not a regular hustler. He isn't getting 10 boards no matter how many minutes he plays. I don't see him scrapping for loose balls or diving out of bounds (he tried it last night, but stepped on the line).

I think there is a motivation factor here. Staff management is tough in any industry. I have employees that put in extra time and are engaged in achieving excellence. I have others that have strong skills but cut corners and are OK with "good enough" most of the time. I try to get the lesser workers additional training adn give them opportunities to achieve, but I still give the "employee of the month" and bonuses to those who are self motivators. occasionally, something clicks with a low performer and they all of a sudden tuirn it around (re: Blatche this offseason). Sometimes they feel slighted that they didn't get the bonus or award.

Mostly they just keep going along as always until the get moved out and then blame the company for being unfair.

Maybe the Wiz could do more to help Nick, and he clearly has some spetacular skills, but he is hustle adverse and seems to think good enough is good enough when clearly it isn't.

Posted by: Blurred | March 17, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"I acknowledge that we are unfortunate with the lottery and injuries, etc...
But I also have felt the team reluctantly drafts, when they can't get rid of the pick. They then take the attitude if that player doesn't wow them right away they ignore that same player that is using a roster spot and salary space. In some cases scapegoating said player."

Scapegoating? I thought that's what we do around this blog.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"If I were a coach, I'd have McGee spend the offseason shooting little turnaround jumpers from either side of the lane around the FT line. He's got a nice high release and who's going to block it? Maybe there's something I'm missing..."

There's something McGee is missing whenever he attempts such a shot . . . the basket. I swear, sometimes it looks like he just throws the ball up without even a faint hint where the basket is in location to his position on the floor.

But I agree (and have said before) that the best chance of actualizing his potential is to focus on the strong suits of the natural abilities he has rather than trying to remake him into something else entirely.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Samson151, this blog is strictly for Scapegoating.

Posted by: carterm1 | March 17, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

ASK me how i know.

Posted by: maejude | March 17, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"FLIP didn't play stuckey or affollo with detroit"

Wrong.

Saunders coached both players only for their rookie seasons. Stuckey played in every game for which he was available (he missed the first 25 games of the season due to an injury) and averaged about 20 mpg. Afflalo played in about 75 games for about 13 mpg.

Now, did he start them and play them big minutes? No, but there's not a coach in the NBA who would have, because the Pistons were a contending team with All-Stars in their primes starting at PG and SG.

By way of comparison, Chauncey Billups' current backup, the much hyped Ty Lawson, is averaging about 2 mpg more than Stuckey did on a contending team, and everyone raves about how George Karl (who is well-known for not wanting to play rooks) is developing him.

Double standard in full effect.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 17, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@wood,

If you think NY plays with heart, desire, and a competitive nature on anything other than 3 nights a season, you're delusional. A guy from the D-League comes in and makes you immediately notice what NY is missing. They both played garbage mins vs Utah and NY was not noticeable on the court whatsoever and Gee was - grabbing rebounds, being around the loose balls, making steals, and just flat out hustling. NY was cruising up and down the court and made his customary couple of baskets with his obvious offensive talent, but, otherwise, very unnoticeable. He should be dominating in those situations to get noticed and MAKE the coaches play him more. Problem is he never does! It's on him on nobody else.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 17, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@Kal,

Nice posts! It's too easy sometimes in here. People talking out their.... without a clue.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 17, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | March 17, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

rphilli721

Can we talk about how Ernie made ETaps coach last year?

What? Ernie didn't make Etaps coach anyway last year and if he did, which is highly doubtful, you would have no way of knowing. Typical pure bs from you.

Can we talk about massive injury bugs? If GA does not get hurt in particular, this team is going on 6 straight seasons of being a playoff team with a second generation of talent in AB and McGee. Don't be intellectually dishonest just to support your bogus arguments.

Again. Bogus bs. They were not in a position of leverage and were almost strictly looking to clear cap space and they did. A draft pick, JH - a CB equal when healthy, and Al Thornton weren't terrible returns considering the situation.
Look up the definition of rebuilding.

Ummm...many people within the NBA. People whose careers are in the basketball business. It's a what have done for me lately business and, obviously, his stock is not at an all time high, but he is still a solid blue chipper. Replace him at your own peril and be careful what you wish for.

I don't know his entire draft history (Milwaukee, NY) and I really don't care. But, you just named two of the best all-time second round picks. How many GM's got that on their resume?

Of course, I always blame GM's for injuries to players causing expectations to plummet and seasons to end before it gets started. If Peyton Manning gets hurt next year and the Colts are terrible, I guess we should blame the Colts GM.

Maybe you should call kal and Irene and ask them to help you with the answers?

Don't need it.

But, you do a good job of being a miser!

I think you've been around long enough to know the improvement in the running of team from the front office. But, it seems, nothing is good enough to you bc you like to soak in your misery.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 17, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"a fan of a team that wont bust 100pts in a month complaining that a player's only skill is scoring....good stuff."

I suppose this is a response to me? First, I never "complained" about his offensive talent. But, he does NOTHING else on the court and that's assuming he is actually "on" offensively, which happens about ever 4th or 5th game he plays thus far in his career. Just face the fact that he got drafted bc of his aforementioned talent, but has developed very little else in his career, and, therefore, might have to find a different career in the very near future or be the bit player he is now the rest of his career. If he were to leave the Wiz, there have been zero signs that he might flourish somewhere else. Zero. Well, perhaps he should go to Golden State. His agent should probably be working on that right now.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 17, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Cut Gee
Cut Livingston

I hate having a losing team. That is the worst. That is bottom. That is 1990-2000 all over and over again. And you know the worst thing about those losing teams? The "happy" revelations about players who suck. Gee sucks. Livingston sucks. They are not NBA players. Having them on my NBA team makes me suck, as a fan. Atleast Nick Young has talent and sucks. I can live with that. Gee is a no-good nobody who sucks. Livingston is a four-time retread who was never going to pan out before he blew-out his knee. He sucked then and he is worse now. He is a bum. He sucks so bad it makes my teeth hurt.

Posted by: chinatown | March 17, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

@chinatown,

How about you suck in your analysis! It may be a losing season, but SL could very well be a grade A back up PG even on a winning team. He was drafted top 4 in his draft I do believe and was just starting to show his potential before he wreaked his knee. Gee may or may not stick, but from the early returns I'll take him on my roster over NY, a heartless, non-competitive, albeit talented loafer. He is not worth watching on the court. Gee has shown flashes in just a few games that he may be. When he dogged Smith and Carmelo on defense on a few plays against Denver by anticipating their moves and getting his hand on the basketball, I said to myself this kid could make it. Obviously, the Wiz think so as well with the second 10 day contract offer.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 18, 2010 2:40 AM | Report abuse