Jerry Stackhouse on his comeback, Gilbert Arenas and Josh Howard

Only two months ago, Jerry Stackhouse was back home in suburban Atlanta, thankful that a high school coach granted him access to his gym and let the 35-year-old stay in shape playing against players nearly half his age. The Wizards probably would have preferred Stackhouse playing with those kids in Georgia rather than being on the court representing the Milwaukee Bucks on Wednesday, when he came off the bench and scored 13 points with three assists in a 100-87.

When former Wizard Stackhouse entered the game late in the first quarter, the Wizards were leading by five points, but by the time he sat about 12 minutes later, Milwaukee was leading by three points. During that time, Stackhouse scored 10 points and the Bucks outscored the Wizards 29-21. Later in the game, Stackhouse provided a reminder that even at his advanced age, there is still something left in those legs. Stackhouse elevated to stuff Quinton Ross's short jumper, recovered the ball, then raced up the floor, caught a pass from Brandon Jennings and whipped a pass back to Ersan Ilyasova for dunk.

Stackhouse, who signed with the Bucks on Jan. 18 after sitting out the first part of the season, scoffed when asked if he felt the need to prove to people that there is still some more tread on his tires.

"I don't necessarily look at it like that, because I know it. I wouldn't come back if I didn't," Stackhouse said. "Just from working out, being in the gym and doing the things that you can do, knowing if you can still compete or not. If it was a case that I didn't feel that I could, I wouldn't have done it, like 'It's been a good one.' And, if you look at my body of work ... I could be content with that. But knowing that I do have something left in the tank, knowing in my mind, it's 'Let's go, make it run until the wheels fall off.' "

The veteran swingman spent two seasons in Washington from 2002-04 before getting dealt to the Dallas Mavericks as part of a package for Antawn Jamison. Stackhouse became a valued contributor for the Mavericks, helping them reach the NBA Finals in 2006. But he had a difficult year last season, when he was limited to just 10 games because of plantar fasciitis. He was later dealt to Memphis last summer in a four-team trade and bought out shortly thereafter.

Stackhouse said he waited around for the right situation, which didn't arrive until the Bucks invited him for a workout. The Bucks (31-29) haven't complained about adding Stackhouse, not with the team going 15-6 since he arrived and making a strong push for the fifth seed in the Eastern Conference. They are currently sixth but trail the Toronto Raptors by just ½ game.

"It feels good to be back on the court, playing again," said Stackhouse, who is averaging 8.5 points and 2.7 rebounds off the bench for the Bucks. "I just didn't want to go out on the note of being hurt and having the plantar fasciitis thing and missing almost all of last year. It was just about coming back and I thought I deserved that, from what I've been able to give the game and what the game has given to me, to be able to go out and play. I didn't really have any expectations other than to go out and play. Obviously, it's turned out well for me. I got to a good team and got a role. That's all any player wants is to have a role on a team that's doing something."

Stackhouse has been in the unique position of being teammates with Gilbert Arenas and Josh Howard, two Wizards whose seasons have come to an end for different reasons. Stackhouse spent one season with Arenas and the previous five with Howard, and he described both situations -- Arenas and his guns; Howard and his torn ACL --as "discouraging."

He has observed the Wizards from afar this season and said he can't imagine how difficult it must be -- especially for Arenas and Javaris Crittenton, who was also suspended for bringing a gun to the locker room. "They became the poster boy for negative publicity, with this season happening and it's kind of disappointing, because those guys really aren't the characters some are making them out to be," Stackhouse said. "That's the discouraging part about it."

Asked specifically about Arenas, Stackhouse said, "Everybody at some point wishes that he'd grow up a bit, but at the same time, you knew he had a big heart and would help anybody. You can tell by the things he did for kids in the community, spend time in the hood playing and doing stuff like that. For everybody to lose sight of those things and all of sudden, he's like a gun-toting bandit or something like that; that was the discouraging part of it. But when you make light of real serious situations, that's what can happen. Hopefully, he can get back and be who he is. I think this league, our league and our society is good, if you come back and you're genuine about what you've done, then they'll forgive him and they'll love him again."

Stackhouse said he felt badly for Howard, a fellow North Carolina native whose stint with the Wizards was only four games after he arrived from Dallas. Stackhouse said he thought Howard "welcomed a fresh start" because he often had to shoulder the blame for the Mavericks' postseason failings.

"He brought a little bit of it on himself, with some things that he did, but for the most part, he became the scapegoat for everything that went wrong there. When anything didn't go right, it was put on Josh," Stackhouse said. "So it was good for him to get to a new situation and I was excited for him because I know he could've thrived in Washington. It's tough having that kind of injury going into a contract year, where It's basically, the team's option. The good part about it, is hopefully, he can get healthy and show a team that he's young. Somebody is going to give him a chance again."

Stackhouse said he felt that Washington would've been a great situation for Howard. "He was back on the East Coast, it would've been great if he could've finished out the season, but everybody has had those type of situations. I had it when I was there."

In his final season in Washington, Stackhouse was limited to just 26 games after struggling to come back from a knee injury. "It's like, I don't want to say it's a curse, but tough things happen to people when they go to that city, as far as injuries."

When asked to expound, Stackhouse lifted his hand and said, "I don't really want to go there."

By Michael Lee  |  March 4, 2010; 1:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards begin tough March with loss to Bucks
Next: Wizards get rematch against the Bucks

Comments

"""For everybody to lose sight of those things and all of sudden, he's like a gun-toting bandit or something like that; that was the discouraging part of it. But when you make light of real serious situations, that's what can happen."""

Take heed, Gilbert. Keep your head low until sentencing.

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 4, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Your opinion is always negative. Not a peep out of you while Blatche is on a monstrous role that gets noticed nationally, but a bad loss to Milwaukee and here you are singing the "EG sucks" tune.

AB and JM are showing real promise and both are 7footers not yet 24yrs old. "True" fans of the team have got be encouraged about that!

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, this is now another rebuilding project with maybe 2 or 3 players out of 13 you need for a championship roster.
Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The 2 or 3 players were AB, JM and AT and I’ve said I was encouraged about their play in the past and I’ve stated I like Thornton’s game but I still think this team is about 4 years away from competing.

Is there something wrong with being a realist versus a blind following fan?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Is there something wrong with being a realist versus a blind following fan?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 1:53 PM

No one is talking about competing for a championship next season. IMO, a realist should be happy we jettisoned the BTH/AJ/CB deadweight that wasnt ever going to win and have already begun the rebuild.

If the recent quality of ABs play is what we can expect from him consistently, and Mcgee develops 10% per season- the team is in a far better position than many people realize.

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

This team with a brainy PG and a big experianced center will be in the pack of the east for the final 2 playoff spots in the east in 2010-11 season.

Posted by: gtefferra | March 4, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

So Ernie has been here 6 years and he has 2 players to show for it?

I never said anything about competing for a championship next season, the only thing I have been saying all along is "I" don't believe Ernie is the GM who will get us there.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Ok so let's say we keep Arenas AND Josh Howard.

Does anyone think that is a possibility??

Arenas, Howard, Miller, Blatche with Foye and Thornton off the bench...

Does anyone like that scenario?

Draft a center like Cousins or Aldrich to rotate with McGee as well as Blatche at center.

We still have Ilgauskas' big contract spot, plus Gooden, Mike James, Oberto all coming off the books to sign another piece or two. Plus our late 1st and early 2nd round picks.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 4, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"So Ernie has been here 6 years and he has 2 players to show for it?"

That's some interesting logic...

Posted by: IrenePollin | March 4, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"So Ernie has been here 6 years and he has 2 players to show for it?"

Obviously we went all-in with the Big3+BTH and it FAILED. Would we have won a championship if Gil was never injured? I dont think so, but I bet we would have been deep in the postseason.

as for those 2 players, like i said, they are both big men who play inside (ABs is taking 70% of his shots within 13ft since the trade, according to a stat linked on this blog).

As for mcgee:

you always loved Haywood, well get this, in BTHs entire career he's scored 13+ points in 27mins or less a total of 16 times.

Javale has already done the same 13 times.

In that sample set of games, BTH averaged 7rebs/1.6blks while Mcgee is at 7rebs/2blks

Reason to be optimistic isnt it? This exact team plus Gil (we're stuck with him 1yr) will be in the playoffs next season.

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"""So Ernie has been here 6 years and he has 2 players to show for it?"""

The circular argument continues...

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 4, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Haven't read all of the posts yet on the Bucks loss, but as one positive coming out of it....anyone want to see more of Shaun Livingston? I don't know where he is defensively or with his jumper, but he displayed more ability to create shots for other players last night than I have seen from Foye or Boykins.

My fave from last night was one play on the right side. He used a pick from McGee and drove hard to the baseline and was clearly looking to dish to McGee rolling to the lane....except McGee hadn't moved lol. You could audibly hear Livingston yell "Roll!" The play ended in a turnover (shocker), but I saw them use that same set up to good effect with Blatche and Singelton. Part of the problem with the current Wiz is that a lot of these guys haven't played with a true point, so I don't think they do the things good teams do, like cut hard to an open spot in the lane when the ball handler drives. If they had ever done it, they rarely got the ball, so they stopped trying.

The Bucks certainly do it, they killed us with it last night. Those guys move because they know Jennings and now Salmons will find them. Even the big men on that team look to pass. I hope the Wiz were taking notes.

I also have to backtrack a bit. I haven't been a big fan of Jennings as it has come up in the 5th vs Miller and Foye debates. I viewed as another no-conscience type, somewhat like Gil. First of all, his passing it well ahead of Gil, and he is a more willing, if not always capable defender. I'm still ok with the trade EG made, but my appraisal of Jennings has improved. Once he develops a consistent J, he's going to be tough to guard.

Back to Livingston for a sec. Depending on the matchups, maybe they should take more of a look at a Livingston / Foye backcourt. I don't know if they could get the job done defensively, but they might provide dividends when our offense struggles.

Posted by: ts35 | March 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Not a big fan of Stackhouse since he mailed it in while he was here in DC, but this comment makes you think:

It makes you think why do we still have the same doctor/athletic trainers on our team since 2002. Actually, I don't know for sure that is the case, but it's not like we're are known for having some of the best trainers. Is there ever going to be a story written on this? It seems so obvious to me that we need to shed some light on it.

Posted by: lameotron | March 4, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | March 4, 2010 2:36 PM

I cant "unsee" Livingston's injury to the point where it's hard for me to be comfortable considering him as having a serious role and future with the team.

But given his skill level, he could be a steal if the knee holds up.

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Livingston looks just as he should - very rusty. And, I know he has been out with a terrible knee injury, but could he not do upper body work? He is a string bean which makes me wonder how serious he really is about his comeback.

To whomever mentioned that MM should not be the one doing the drive and kick - amen. I'm just flustered by his play. Perhaps the best shooter in the league, but doesn't shoot. An ok passer who passes too much. An ok ball handler who handles too much. A very good rebounder for a guard, yet he is often a complete non-factor in games. Sigh! He needs to be the target of the kick out. He needs to have set plays of catch and shoot. He needs to earn his millions instead of trying to be ultra teammate.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"""Perhaps the best shooter in the league, but doesn't shoot. An ok passer who passes too much. An ok ball handler who handles too much."""

Funny and spot on.

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 4, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Not a fan of Stackhouse from when he mailed it in here in Washington, either. Which leads me to take issue with the stat of the Bucks record being 15-6 since his arrival. Aren't the Bucks 7-1 since Salmons arrived? He's being touted as the difference maker, so wouldn't that leave the Stackhouse Bucks, pre-Salmons, playing a little better than .500 ball? Let's not give him too much credit. Bogut's also been playing his best of the season lately.

Posted by: louis9 | March 4, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Is there any one who believe that EG and the owner were running after shampionship or to be a contender when they sign AJ and the injured GA?
As far as my opinion goes,their motive was to have a better ticket cell and to continue to exploit from the fame of GA not in court but his out of court activities what ever you call it.They turn 360 when he has a real problem.

Posted by: gtefferra | March 4, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

He needs to earn his millions instead of trying to be ultra teammate.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 4, 2010 3:00 PM

Someone needs to tell him a "team" player scores when that's what the team needs.

"Perhaps the best shooter in the league, but doesn't shoot."

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

But given his skill level, he could be a steal if the knee holds up.

Posted by: divi3

Not handing him the job for next year quite yet, but since everyone seems unsatisfied with what we get out of our PGs now, why not give him a shot? I like Boykins, but unless the Wiz view him as part of the future of the team, there's not much point in giving him minutes. I don't think Foye's future is as a full time PG.

They brought in Livingston to give him a look, so give him a look. Even rusty and in short minutes (but granted in garbage time) he did more things to get other players looks near the rim than I have seen from Foye or Boykins. If he can hold up defensively, his height (can't say size, cuz he looks like he weighs a buck forty) *could* cause matchup problems for opponents on offense.

If he doesn't get it done, keep cycling guys in on 10-day contracts until you get lucky and find a player.

Posted by: ts35 | March 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

That one sentence alone speaks volumes of this organization.

Posted by: blackman1 | March 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lameotron | March 4, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

didn't our longtime training staff leave for cle a few years back?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 4, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Dr. Kevorkian the head of our training staff?

Posted by: DoubleEagle1 | March 4, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

AMPUTATE

Posted by: jefferu | March 4, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 4, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I think the best one of those two seconds is better than ours and protected. What exactly does that mean? We never get compensation?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I never said anything about competing for a championship next season,

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse
***********

HMMMMMMMM....LET ME THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A SECOND....WAIT...HERE IT IS...

**************

If you or anyone thinks the Wizards can win a championship with...

Foye
NY
Thornton
Blatche
McGee

as your starters next year you are crazy?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 2, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

KAAAAA-BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANOTHER BF78 COMMENT BLOWS UP IN HIS FACE!!!! YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE TALKING ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS NEXT YEAR. JUST SHUT IT ALREADY.

Hey brother...I wish I was in San Diego, too. Hope you are having fun. Get back with us when you can keep your stories straight.

Posted by: Blurred | March 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"I'm starting to think he only shoots when he's exactly set like he is in practice. Maybe he's the best "uncontested shooter" in the league because it seems he wont pull the trigger if there's the slightest chance of his shot being altered or disrupted at allPosted by: divi3"

I'm starting to think the assemblage is looking for a new scapegoat, now that the old ones got traded.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Not handing him the job for next year quite yet, but since everyone seems unsatisfied with what we get out of our PGs now, why not give him a shot?"

You honestly think he looks ready? He looks like a player on a 10 day contract coming back from a monstrous surgery.

Why not give him a shot at becoming an NBA player again before we ramp up his playing time and then decide he's actually the cause of all our problems?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

game,set and match blurred!

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 4, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | March 4, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

samson, we as a group, log on to WI and talk about players we don't like coasches we don't like, who we'd keep and who should go. I simply would ask why so many people have such strong feelings against our 2nd/3rd string 2 guard who avgs literally half the pt of our starting sg who isn't playing markedly, better. Head to Head comparison's give MM the edge in ppg. by 3 pts, rpg by 4 rebs, assts by 3 assts. But MM gets this incremental edge in 15 more mpg. If that is satisfactory to you then i can understand why you wouldn't comment about it, but Foye and Miller are what we got for our no.5 and like 3 players last year. i can see keeping foye, as a backup for gil; but do we need another inconsistent (only thing he does consistently is not shoot) jump shooter on the books for the long haul getting payed about 6-7 mil a yr? We already got that it's NY. MM doesn't defent particularly well and right now is a turnover machine. He's hardly the reason we lost last night, as i have stopped depending on him for any help a coupla games back. it'd been nice if we coulda got something from Al last night too, but I'll give him a pass cuz he's only been here a week or so.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 4, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"Samson...we are just assessing what we have and which pieces are worth holding on to. I was super impressed by MM earlier this season, but he isn't looking like a keeper this past 2 weeks."

That's because he's spent the past 2 weeks playing on a different team than the one he was playing on before. Now he's a complementary player on a team full of guys who don't have much to complement. He plays well of other guys, but there really isn't anyone on this team now who can really be played off of. Plus, you have to figure there's some metal and emotional fatique setting in. He cam here expecting to play with multiple All-Stars and compete in the postseason. Now he's surrounded by guys who'd be lucky to be starting on a 40 win team. At his age/career stage that's gotta be tough to take.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

mike miller is a player who thinks that setting up team mates for shots is what is needed on this team because of the history of the big three being gunners. he hasn't adjusted to what his role here really should be especially since the trades. i understand that he's always looked to pass and has been criticized in other places for that very reason. if he has any kinda BB IQ then he should be able to step back and look at the stats and see that this team needs it's shooting guard to actually shoot the ball. not to beat a dead horse, but if he's not going to be a shooter then put nick on the court. at least he will put up the shots.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 4, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

RE Livingston being skinny: Perhaps he was told by his physicians that it would put less stress on his reconstructed knee if he kept his weight down.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 4, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

put nick on the court. at least he will put up the shots.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 4, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 4, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

nick putting up shots at least gives the team the opportunity to get a offensive rebound. to drive to the basket, practically touch the box over the rim and then turn to pass it back out to the three point line to singleton who has to take a shot from there....., if the ball even makes it that far.....i'll take nick's too many shots over that. singleton should be under the rim rebounding nick's misses, not at the 3 line catching miller passes.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 4, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

".....singleton should be under the rim....."

Absolutely. On this we agree whole-heartedly. BUT, the man has no contract for next year. WTF !!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 4, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"Oh yeah, no question. Neither have much in the way of BB IQ if you ask me. One shoots too little, one too much."

To suggest that Mike Miller, a former ROY and 6th Man of the Year award winner has has no bball IQ is beyond silly.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 4, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Gil.

Posted by: washwiz | March 4, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood10

I play golf not tennis

Blurred

I was commenting about what divi3 brought up from Wizards begin tough March with loss to Bucks post...

In that post I didn't say anything about them winning a championship.

I've been writing since the day I came on here the only way the Wizards would have a chance to win a championship was by getting a new owner.

Was I wrong?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

if Mike Miller has such a high bball iq he would know when the team needs him to score. Either he's making bad decisions or simply not capable of doing the scoring that's needed.

and no one is blaming him for anything, just armchair analyzing all the players on the team in a debate on whom should be kept next year.

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

No one said he was being "blamed" for anything, and pointing that out doesn't make the criticism of his basketball IQ any less ridiculous or the armchair analysis any less wrong.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

"But MM gets this incremental edge in 15 more mpg. If that is satisfactory to you then i can understand why you wouldn't comment about it, but Foye and Miller are what we got for our no.5 and like 3 players last year. i can see keeping foye, as a backup for gil; but do we need another inconsistent (only thing he does consistently is not shoot) jump shooter on the books for the long haul getting payed about 6-7 mil a yr? We already got that it's NY. MM doesn't defent particularly well and right now is a turnover machine. He's hardly the reason we lost last night, as i have stopped depending on him for any help a coupla games back. it'd been nice if we coulda got something from Al last night too, but I'll give him a pass cuz he's only been here a week or so.Posted by: lilhollywood10"

Geez, it's worse than I thought. You've already convinced yourself that Miller is at fault for the Wiz' crappy play last night.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

And I believe I said weeks ago, before the roster was gutted, that Miller would not and should not be on this team next season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 5:49 PM

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

"then mike miller should know that on this team, as it is constructed, needs him to shoot the damn ball....everyone else seems to see that.Posted by: joerutgens72"

The team, as presently constructed, needs other people to shoot the damn ball, and Mike Miller to feed it to them.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"considering he's been starting on 25win teams the past few seasons, maybe he's lucky to be starting on this team? "

Wow, that's almost as silly as questioning his basketball IQ.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Mike Miller needs to be on a team like, oh, Dallas or Miami. Maybe Orlando. Where they have actual NBA basketball players.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

See, IMO Milwaukee did the Wiz a big favor. The Bucks showed our fans exactly how far we have to go. And that we're missing some pieces. OK, quite a few pieces. That it's not just a matter of getting more out of the players that are here. That it's a matter of getting some players who aren't here.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The RICHMOND SPIDERS bury DAYTON and put UNC-CHARLOTTE on death watch.......YOU ARE NEXT.......!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 4, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

You sir, would definitely know about silly.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 4, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 4, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse
There's the entire post again, but if you missed it a second time let me take this section out for you

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 4, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's almost as silly as questioning his basketball IQ.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 9:11 PM

it's silly to speak of mike miller as if the team isnt good enough for him. He starts and plays big minutes while not contributing much of late, that's on him not his teammates.

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

What's up with Mike Harris? I'd like to see him get 15 min. of PT like Livingston, before throwing him back.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 4, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

""...........He's hardly the reason we lost last night, as i have stopped depending on him for any help a coupla games back"

not a compliment or an insult, but a fact, for me at least. i just gave up on depending on MM to make plays of much consequence during the game. I'm not saying that NY always does, but his play vs DEN and NYK were performances to build on. I'm not at all blaming MM an NBA starter, former 6th man of the year, former rookie of the year, no.1 in the NBA 3pt shooter for losing the game last night just because he had as many pts as turnovers (3). we lost because we aren't even a real team right now a group of d leaguers,NBA castaways,undrafted FAs and 1st rd underacheivers thrown together in a salary dump during a lost season. We're gonna lose a few games just because we're not that good. I expected MM to be better, especially with all of the accolades people pull out of their arses to defend him. You nay think i have blind faith in NY, and it may be that faith. But MM's poor performances are rooted in fact and can be referenced in the stat sheet and gamefilm.Posted by: lilhollywood10"

OK, I take your point, no argument intended, but with all due respect, you're completely nuts.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

You know MILLER just hasn't really been the same since those two injuries. He's had some moments, but no real consistantly high-level play since he came back from that arm and leg thing.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 4, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

cGiving up and then name calling? jeez samson,you're better than that.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 4, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Pau Gasol looks like an ostrich.

Posted by: Vicc | March 4, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"Giving up and then name calling? jeez samson,you're better than that.Posted by: lilhollywood10"

LOL blaming a vet for the team's play and then pretending you're not -- I'm hoping you're better than that.

Poor guy. Instead of getting to be a complement on a solid veteran club (something he must have pined for in Memphis and Minnesota), he's nursemaiding a bunch of youngsters. A thankless job.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

"it's silly to speak of mike miller as if the team isnt good enough for him. "

Then I guess it's a good thing I didn't speak of him that way.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

the only stats i brought up were his and NY's. I didn't comment on who he's had to defend,his PER, his +/-. The only thing i'd like to bring light to is that we should expect more of MM than NY, and right now i can't say the MM is playing very well. The first thing some people had to post on here was about NY's game as if HE was to blame for the loss. I just thought it'd be nice to start with the guys who are starting these games and getting the bulk of the minutes.MM definitely coulda done more last night, i was cleal r about that. I also mentioned Al thornton laying an egg, but i think he deserves a pass because he's really new to the team. MM has shown flashes this season, i doubt NY would be that much of a drop off if he got 31 mpg like MM does. As it stands his production (Miller's) isn't much better than NY (do the head to head on NBA.com). i know MM has the edge in all categories, but he plays twice as many mpg and only outscores NY by 3.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 4, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

"You sir, would definitely know about silly."

OUCH! ZINNNNNNG! A real burner that one was. Yikes!

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. Dwayne Jones has 545 rebounds in the D League this year. The next best rebounder has almost 200 less. That alone should be worth a 10 day contract.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 4, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

"i know MM has the edge in all categories, but he plays twice as many mpg and only outscores NY by 3."

HA! I love how he casually dismisses all those "other categories" like they don't matter.

Miller plays twice as many minutes as Nick Young but grabs 4 times as many rebs, dishes out 5 times as many assists, shoots 16% higher from the field, 13% higher from the 3-pt line, and 6% higher from the FT line. He's a better player than Young. Period.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

i think we'd all agree that mike miller is probably a better shooter than most of the players on this version of the wizards. my only point is that he being that better shooter should not defer so much to players who are not as good at shooting as he is. i want him to shoot more and to facilitate also. i wouldn't expect him to shoot the ball 25 times, but anything less than 10 is a mockery of himself. that's what i meant by his BB IQ. he needs to see that. i'm not knocking him for his abilities, only for his inability to let the shot go.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 4, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

@Larry,

Yeah, coaching is NY's problem? Please. You're a joke sometimes. Just stop. The only thing keeping NY from being a very useful player at the very least is between HIS ears. Coaches aren't God. And you're suppositions are flat out comical.

As for the game, there is really no need to analyze much of anything these days except the play of AB and JM who both played decently. Criticizing rotations on a team that can barely field a competent starting lineup bc of all that has occurred this year is pretty useless as well don't you think?

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 4, 2010 1:03 PM

721, I never blamed the coach for NY's problem. I blamed the coach for allowing NY's amateurish play to continue.

Check what I say carefully. You know I am hard on coaching and my point about Nick is why are we still seeing this lackadaisical play still being tolerated.

If Nick Young is as bad as what I saw last night, he should have been long gone.

But also, as others have also pointed out, why are we still seeing the unacceptable play of Miller as well?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 4, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blurred | March 4, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

"Miller is definitely a better player than Young, there's no question. But he's not playing well at all and wont be here next year, so there's no harm in cutting back his minutes to see what others can do."

What "others"? We already know what Nick Young can do, and Miller has a better chance of being here next season than Quinton Ross or Mike Harris. There are no other SGs in waiting.

"Except this bunch of youngsters still has a better pct than the solid vets. I would think he's just sick of it all.

A better percentage of what? Wins? Please. It hasn't even been 10 games since the house cleaning. That tiny sample size is far from conclusive, or even particularly meaningful.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe you think I am too hard on Flip, but time will tell whether or not Flip knows what the hey he is doing."

Multiple 50 win seasons and multiple trips to the conference finals has already told that tale.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

He's a better player than Young. Period.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

i like how he dismisses the part about him playing twice as many minutes as young. I don't know that i said NY is a better all around player. More so i think i've been saying for Miller to be as good as everyone (myself included) thought he was, he's really been playing poorly. so poorly that I'd like to see some of his mins go to NY. How much will it hurt MM's game for him to play 6-7 less mins. Check the game logs NY has his best scoring games when he plays over 20 mins. He's at 16 mins per right now. Bump him up 6 mins to 23 and see if there's a bump in his production. Heck 6 less mins on the floor might even bring MMs TOs down, he's been pretty loose with the rock lately.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 4, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

"What "others"? We already know what Nick Young can do"

Young has played more than 25mins only 10x this season, that's not a full look imo. Especially with him under contract, the backcourt in disarray, and the season toileted.

he averages 17pts in those games and we're in 6-4 by the way.

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

"Check the game logs NY has his best scoring games when he plays over 20 ins."

In other words, the more minutes a guy plays, the more points he's likely to score. Congratulations for solving that puzzle.

"Bump him up 6 mins to 23 and see if there's a bump in his production. "

I doubt that 6 more mpg will do much to boost his anemic FG percentage or his unwillingness/inability to pass the ball. There's more to the game than just chucking it up.

Prior to the trade one of the main knocks on this team--from both fans, the media, and their own coach--was that they played too much selfish, one-on-one ball. That's the only kind of ball Young plays and that's why he sits. Miller, conversely, facilitates movement of the ball, which is what Saunders' offense is built upon. Moreover, as we all know, this team does not have a real starting PG, so they need all the ballhandling, playmaking help they can get. Miller provides that. Young does not. Really, it's no secret why he plays and Young doesn't.

Should Miller be more aggressive in looking for shots? Yes. I've been saying that same thing since the first month of the season. Would reducing his minutes to give more PT to a guy who does nothing but shoot to the exclusion of all else have any appreciable difference on the team's chances of winning? Nope. The only reason to cut Miller's minutes and play Young more, is to just play Young more. But other than getting young more PT, what's the benefit of doing that? Does it make the team better? Does it reveal some hidden secret about Young that hasn't been revealed in the last 2 1/2 years? No. So, what's the upside, aside from satiating some weird NY jones that some people around here have?

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 5, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

"Check the game logs NY has his best scoring games when he plays over 20 mins."

Team is 11-7 when NY takes 9 or more shots. Might as well let him bombs away a little more and see what happens.

Posted by: divi3 | March 5, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

"Young has played more than 25mins only 10x this season, that's not a full look imo"

It's not like he just got here. He's been here for going on three years and has played in almost all of the team's games (75 in year one, all 82 last season, and all but 8 this season). The suggestion that he hasn't had a chance to show what he can do is nonsense. What's he going to do in 25 minutes that he can't do in 17, other than pad his numbers? And then, of course, there's a little thing we like to call . . . practice, where the coaches see him every day. Young is hardly an unknown quantity to the Wizards management and coaching staff, regardless of whether the fans have gotten their fix.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 5, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

"Team is 11-7 when NY takes 9 or more shots. "

A classic example of stats revealing a fact but not necessarily the truth.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 5, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Or a classic example of failure to distinguish a correlation from a cause-and-effect.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 5, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

What the stats reveal is the team is above .500 the more minutes and shots NY logs. Is that a direct correlation? Not saying it is. But we win games when he plays more, so why not play him more?

He's 24 and under contract for 2 more years. Miller is 30, a FA, and a guy who supposedly needs to be on a better team for his true worth to be fully harnessed. Would seem to make sense for the future to get Young more PT

Posted by: divi3 | March 5, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 4, 2010 11:31 PM |

Thats all well and good, but none of those 50 win seasons and multiple trips to the conference finals has done anything for the Wizards as of yet.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 5, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 5, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 5, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Good to see a little banter and some fire on the old blog last night. MM or NY, who's the worst at BB IQ?

Right now neither is playing particularly well.

I think those two injuries may have something to do with MM's efficiency. NY remains an enigmatic mystery. Both have their moments, but neither is consistantly good. The question for next year; "Will the organization continue to fund MIKE MILLER by renewing his contract at the 9.75 mil or higher level for this level of play." I personally don't think so.

And then the club continues to hope that NY grows up, and begins playing at the consistantly high level necessary to produce what we can all see he's capable of.

Well, NICK's under contract next season and MIKE MILLER isn't. That says something, but in this unstable environment, not everything. Until ownership gets ironed out, and new management is in place, I'm not sure any contracts will be inked in D.C.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 5, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

"heaven forbid the team pay Miller $9mill to play shooting guard and expect he can score on his own when needed. How dare they? Let's hope he signs with a team worthy of his skills next season, poor guy.Posted by: divi3"

Maybe in a city with more intelligent discussion on its basketball blog?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"that's what i meant by his BB IQ. he needs to see that. i'm not knocking him for his abilities, only for his inability to let the shot go. Posted by: joerutgens72"

Well, I agree that basketball IQ is definitely a problem around here. Not Miller's, however.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"Would seem to make sense for the future to get Young more PT Posted by: divi3"

Fair enough. I imagine Mike Miller would be willing to take a seat in deference to Nick. Then we could criticize him for being happy as a backup.

Hasn't anybody noticed the repetitive pattern here?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Hasn't anybody noticed the repetitive pattern here?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 8:33 AM

Your inability get off Miller's jock? Yes, I have noticed that pattern.

Posted by: divi3 | March 5, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

"Your inability get off Miller's jock? Yes, I have noticed that pattern.Posted by: divi3"

I guess that would be a no, then.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151
-----------------------------------------

He is probably more a threat by simply standing behind the 3 pt line than driving, since no defense would dare to leave him open there. When he is driving, defense fears him no more, since he 1) cannot finish the drive, or 2) often turns the ball over when he tries to pass the ball off dribble.

Posted by: sagaliba | March 5, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

NY's PT does not have to come from MM's. Can anyone tell me why is Ross getting PT?

Posted by: sagaliba | March 5, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Spare me!! He gets thanked twice a month with a nice paycheck.

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 5, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Unfortunately, that is not MM's forte, and that's why he turns the ball over so much."

I thought Miller was a good passer. Not much of a penetrator. But a help with ball movement.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"Spare me!! He gets thanked twice a month with a nice paycheck.Posted by: Firuz1"

Here we go with the money. This is like Act 3 of the script.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Here we go with the money. This is like Act 3 of the script.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 10:16 AM

There you go with the "woe is he" crap for Mike Miller. It's okay to like him, but lets not pretend he's a martyr. Sheesh.

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 5, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Mike James: "Flip didn't get along with me"

His criticism of Saunder: "coach couldn’t decide which were the best players to put out there at the right time."

Of course he forgot to mention that he was injured when the team needed him, and forced the team to sign another backup PG, Bonkins, who ended up playing ahead of him even after he was healthy again.

Posted by: sagaliba | March 5, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Samson151,

MM is a good passer, but not good at pass off the dribble. He is good at one-touch pass, or just after a couple of dribbles (i.e., before defender can poke at the ball). But when he starts driving, he becomes very turnover prone. I think this is because he really isn't a great ball handler, and when he dribbles, he had to concentrate so much on protecting the ball.

Posted by: sagaliba | March 5, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

From the Mike James link above:
"""But for some reason, coach couldn’t decide which were the best players to put out there at the right time. Because of that, we lost a lot of games."""

LarryinClintonMD, you've been validated by James.

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 5, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

This puzzled me enough to do a little reading. Does Miller really turn the ball over excessively?

His career average is 1.9 TOs vs 3.2 assists over the course of 32.2 minutes a game. Of course he's spent a lot of the time at SF, which is not the super-heavy ball-handling position.

I just picked 3 tall SFs who were known for their outside shooting.

Miller: 32.2 minutes a game, 3.2 assists, 1.9 TOs per game.
Scottie Pippen: 39 minutes, 5 assists, 3 TOs
Tayshaun Prince: 33.4 minutes, 2.6 assists, 1.23 TOs.
Robert Horry: 24.4 minutes, 2.1 assists, 1.2 TOs.

Seems to me he fits pretty neatly into this category. None carried his team offensively, and of course Pippen and Prince are superior defenders. The other three played on vastly superior teams, you have to admit, which can affect the comparison.

I don't see how this contradicts the view of Miller as a good, consistent contributor who belongs on a different club.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Oy. Apologies for not attaching the sardonic emoticon to my comments to make them clearer for the reading impaired. What I think is that in the midst of a losing season you might as well take a look at everyone and see what they can do. Livingston is rusty I would imagine, but since no one thinks Foye or Boykins is the answer at PG, why not give Livingston some time to see what he can do. The worst thing that happens is that we find out he's not ready and move on to someone else. And if we lose games in that stretch because of it? Who cares?

It's also where I come down in the MM vs NY debate (although they could play together and sacrifice someone else's minutes). Might as well put NY out there for more minutes and see if he can figure things out. I tend to agree with Kal that we sort of already know what we have. He has some great games but comes back with games where all he does is dribble into traffic and jack up shots. What happened to all of that work he did in the offseason shooting coming off of screens?

At the same time, once AJ was traded and Blatche knew he was going to get a lot of minutes, he settled down a bit. Not saying the same would happen for Young, but again, at this point, what does it hurt to take a look?

We already know what we've got in Thornton, Miller (if he's back), Boykins, Ross and Foye (if they keep him). As they are doing with McGee, give Young minutes and see what he does with them.

The only reasonable concern I can think of is that in playing all of the kids extended minutes, if they play badly, this organization looks like more of a train wreck and makes it even less enticing for any FAs we might want to use our cap space on. Aside from that, I don't see a downside.

Posted by: ts35 | March 5, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse
a career of low turnover ball (3assts to 2 turnovers a game,LOL) does not discount or negate all of the high turnover ball he's been playing of late. OK, so he was around his avg for turnovers vs. MIL, what about the 8 and 5 turnover games that came around last weekend. A good player can even negate the turnovers with assts and scoring. Lately he hasn't been able to compensate for the TOs with scoring or playmaking, i think that's why we are talking about the MM that plays for the Wizards( you know, the one with about 40 gms under his belt in a wiz uni), not the one that ammased a 3.2 asst/1.9 (2) turnovers per game average on 3 other teams. So if you got to watch all that turnover free hoop in Minny,ORL, amd MEM good for you.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 5, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

bravo...now let mike miller stand out at the three line and catch passes. there's the problem. no one else is willing to drive the lane and pass out to anyone who may be open. all along i haven't been knocking mike miller. only that the role he's trying to play doesn't fit his skill set. i don't know if it's by design or if he taking it upon himself since there's no one on the team capable of drive and kick out. coaches job is to put people in the right position to take advantage of their strengths. mike miller's strength is not what he's trying to do now. so the biggest need for this team is a point guard willing to feed open players and take a shot if presented. not a 6'9" pure shooter trying to play point forward. we don't have a point guard capable and MM is not doing well in the role he's trying to play. you can blame the coach, but his hands are kinda tied to the wagon he's running behind.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 5, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"why not give Livingston some time to see what he can do. The worst thing that happens is that we find out he's not ready and move on to someone else. And if we lose games in that stretch because of it? Who cares? posted by ts35"

Hmmm... almost missed this one. Well, let's take a look at Livingston. This year he played in 10 games at OKC and averaged about 12 minutes. The year before at OKC he got into 8 games and averaged about 24 minutes. With brief stints at Miami and Washington, he's played in 25 games over two seasons. One start.

Not a player I'd think you would want to push too hard too fast. He missed the Wizards camp, so he's still learning the scheme. He doesn't look in game condition yet.

I just don't see the point in pushing him too hard. And I haven't even got to the part where I point out that if he struggles we grind him up into hamburger for our entertainment.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"what about the 8 and 5 turnover games that came around last weekend. A good player can even negate the turnovers with assts and scoring. Lately he hasn't been able to compensate for the TOs with scoring or playmaking, i think that's why we are talking about the MM that plays for the Wizards( you know, the one with about 40 gms under his belt in a wiz uni), not the one that ammased a 3.2 asst/1.9 (2) turnovers per game average on 3 other teams. So if you got to watch all that turnover free hoop in Minny,ORL, amd MEM good for you.Posted by: lilhollywood10"

I think you mistake my point. One poster called Miller turnover prone. I took a brief look at the issue and said I didn't see where the numbers supported that. A couple bad games, sure, but we know that isn't enough to draw a conclusion. He's no penetrator, but I'm under the impression he generally improves ball movement on the floor. If you've got evidence to the contrary, show it.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"MM is a good passer, but not good at pass off the dribble. He is good at one-touch pass, or just after a couple of dribbles (i.e., before defender can poke at the ball). But when he starts driving, he becomes very turnover prone."

So you're saying he shouldn't try to penetrate, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 5, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

the proper offense for miller is in the pick and roll. blatch sets screen, rolls to the basket, depending on what the defense does, drop the ball to blatch on the roll or take the shot if presented. that's miller's strength, not dribble penetrate. look at SA. they kill you with that play. of course having a point guard would be nice. miller is probably a better passer from out there, than trying to kick it out. for the nick lovers, put him in the corner ala bowen, and if the pick and roll isn't there swing it over to him for that open J that should be there, or he can drive the baseline. c'mon flip, pick and roll as your bread and butter, when they stop that, blatch on the left block. that's it, that's the list.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | March 5, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"i think if you are "under the impression...." then you should show that evidence. I'm not under that impression at all and i would luv for you show me the evidence. Pull up the 3 asst/2 TO carrer stat again that is a sure sign of efficient and effective ball movement.Posted by: lilhollywood10'

So you don't have any evidence to the contrary.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 5, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse