McGuire wishes he could've stayed in Washington

Dominic McGuire thought he needed to get traded to get an opportunity to play this season. But in the past month or so, McGuire realizes that he might have been better off staying with the Washington Wizards.

McGuire can't help but wonder what might've been when he sees the opportunities that have been presented to his former teammates -- especially Andray Blatche and JaVale McGee -- in the aftermath of dealing away Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson.

I'm a King, but if I could do it all over again ...(AP Photo)

"They got a good thing going in Washington right now; they finally turned it over to the young guys. I wish I could've been a part of that, especially with us coming up together. But it's a business," McGuire said on Sunday after receiving a DNP-CD against the Los Angeles Clippers. "Seeing those guys out there, it seems like they having fun out there; we used to always talk about it -- me, Dray and Nick [Young] and JaVale -- we felt like we could've been like the Eastern Conference Oklahoma City if they just turned it over to us. To not be there with them is hard, but it is what it is."

McGuire didn't really have much of a choice when the Wizards traded him to the Sacramento Kings at the deadline on Feb. 18 -- the team had to move him and his $825,497 salary for a conditional second-round pick in order to get under the luxury tax threshold. He said he thought that he was going to get traded somewhere, but when the deadline passed quietly, he thought he was staying his Washington. About 30 minutes after the deadline, McGuire's agent, Aaron Mintz, called him to tell him that was moving on -- to Sacramento.

"I actually thought I was going to Charlotte. I was caught off guard 'cause I heard [Bobcats Coach] Larry Brown was trying to get me over there," said McGuire, a San Diego native who isn't complaining about returning to his home state. "I love Cali. I'm loving that, the weather. I don't see the snow no more. I wake up and the first thing I see is the sun beaming; it's lovely."

Not playing, however, isn't lovely. He said he has only been able to have four practices with his new team and is averaging just 0.6 points and 1.6 rebounds in 5.9 minutes in seven appearances for Sacramento. His production is nearly identical to what he was producing in Washington, where he averaged 0.7 points and 1.5 rebounds in 5.9 minutes in 41 games.

"We had a new coaching staff, I was playing behind two all-stars in Caron and Antawn. Then you had Dray also coming off the bench, so you can't really expect to play too many minutes, with those guys being the type of players that they are," McGuire said, explaining why he saw limited action with the Wizards. "I was excited because I feel like I really didn't get a chance in Washington, so I was thinking I was coming here and going to get an opportunity. It really hasn't worked out that way. They got some young wings, first-round picks, so I can't really expect to play right away. I'm really, really just waiting on the opportunity."

McGuire is approaching free agency this summer, and he knows that he would've been in a better situation had he been in this position after last season, when he started 57 games and averaged 4.5 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists. "Last summer, I would've felt really good about it," McGuire said. "This summer, I'm not too worried about it, really. I just haven't gotten the opportunity to see what I can do. I think if people look back at what I did last year, and see that I planned on making improvements off last year, but never got a chance. I had a good training camp. I couldn't get no playing time."

But McGuire is happy to see how Blatche has been coming along, now that he is being used as a go-to guy. "What? I talk to him all the time. We knew he had it in him," McGuire said. "They giving him an opportunity and he taking advantage of it. That's Dray. I done seen Dray every day in practice, so that doesn't surprise me. I think he can do the same thing next year."

Nick Young has remained up-and-down despite few offensive weapons on the Wizards. McGuire said, "With Nick, it's more mental with him. He can't go out there thinking, 'cause when he just plays his game, he's good."

McGuire said he won't complain about his current situation. "It's cool. It's a contract year. I got family to feed. I got a son. And the main thing is, I wanted to play, but it wasn't happening in Washington for me," he said. "I was just looking for a situation where I was going to play. I'm in a good situation. I've known Coach [Paul] Westphal for years. He recruited me out of high school. He knows what I can do. Just waiting on my opportunity."

By Michael Lee  |  March 23, 2010; 1:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Prosecutors recommend three months for Arenas
Next: Poll: What do you think of Arenas's recommended sentence?

Comments

The Wizards had to move McGuire and his $825,497 salary for a conditional second-round pick in order to get under the luxury tax threshold.

Do I even have to write anything else?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Id like to see Dom come back next season. Hes the kind of player we need on this team going forward.

Posted by: DMoney28 | March 23, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I liked his hustle and defense but McGuire has zero to contribute offensively. I'd like him more if he could hit a jump shot or could handle enough to slash to the basket but mostly he just reminds me of Jerome Williams from Georgetown back in the day.

Posted by: manifested | March 23, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Every team needs a defensive minded player like Dom. Washington always trade those kind of players like Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Darius Songaila, and the list goes on. Anyways theres no time machine so lets see what awaits this summer.

Posted by: jefferu | March 23, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

songaila is in no way defensive minded, his value is offensive only, I still like dom and his game a lot, he does have value on offense because he's a good handler, passer and crashes the boards getting extra possessions he just isn't a scorer, although I always thought he had potential to be a great slasher

Posted by: bford1kb | March 23, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Not true , re: Songaila. He's physical and puts a body on guys defensively. He often looked overmatched because he was playing C and giving up a lot of size, but in some matchups he was pretty good at using his body to root opposing bigs off their spots. Granted, his lack of lateral movement put him at the mercy of face-up bigs who could put it on the floor, but if he didn't have limitations then he wouldn't have been a role player.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 23, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Do I even have to write anything else?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

No...you've made your point endlessly and incessantly. Please say no more.

Posted by: Blurred | March 23, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"I liked his hustle and defense but McGuire has zero to contribute offensively."

In a league full of players who can only contribute offensively, shouldn't McGuire's skill set (limited as it is) be valuable, just due to scarcity? Are the Wizards really so good at hustling, playing defense and rebounding that McGuire can't contribute?

I miss McGuire. I'd love to see him back.

Posted by: Tank2 | March 23, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I like DMac, but Singleton, Thornton and now, Alonzo Gee all give what he gave. And they are all better offensive players.

Posted by: bozomoeman | March 23, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

McGuire's ticket out of town was punched when the Wiz got Thornton and Singleton in the deals for Jamison, Butler, and Haywood.
Now with Alonzo Gee, McGuire would be getting DNP-CD here as well.

I liked the guy, but I love what Gee and Thornton can bring to the 3 spot instead. I don't see a role for McGuire here since both of those guys bring the defensive energy that McGuire could, AND the team's not playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Nobody ever bothered to guard McGuire for something like 60 games last year and he never broke out offensively.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | March 23, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

No...you've made your point endlessly and incessantly. Please say no more.

Posted by: Blurred | March 23, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey blurred, VCU's still playing b-ball even though at 60m a pop. GO RAMS !!!!!

Good luck to D-Mac. Get a little offense to go with that hustle, and catch on as a role player at the #3 DOM.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

D-MAC must have had some good crack in his time in DC to make the following statement.

"me, Dray and Nick [Young] and JaVale we felt like we could've been like the Eastern Conference Oklahoma City if they just turned it over to us."

How in the world can you compare Blatche, McGuire, N Young, McGee(two second round picks and two mid first round pick to 1st Durant, 5th overall Green, 3rd overall Westbrook with a straight face.

That statement is just beyond common reason.

Incredible
Insanity

Posted by: dcinmd1 | March 23, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey gang. What are our June picks?

1- A potential lottery (1-5) and
1A- the CAVS first (probably 28-30).
Our own #2 (33-37)
then the KINGS #2 (36-39)

for DOM which may be protected? Why was I thinking the WARRIORS #2? And what does "protected" mean for us regarding that pick?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

@dcinmd1 Lol, I remember reading that quote and thinking much the same thing. But you know, it's good to dream big.

@glaw - I don't know if I ever saw anywhere what the conditions were, but I thought I read that it was conditional to the point where we likely wouldn't ever get it, i.e. it was a pure player dump and the second rounder was just for show. At the very least I would think it's protected past the first ten picks or so in the second this year.

Posted by: ts35 | March 23, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Do I even have to write anything else?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes. Because if we had paid his salary and the luxury tax, that would have given us what we needed to make the playoffs...

Posted by: crs-1 | March 23, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

BTW, has anyone ever seen this vid of Blatche in HS? I thought it was pretty cool

Posted by: dlts20 | March 23, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

That statement is just beyond common reason.

Incredible
Insanity

Posted by: dcinmd1 | March 23, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

It's called confidence. You kind of need it if you're going to accomplish anything in life.

Posted by: crs-1 | March 23, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

McGuire, you Dray, nick young and JaValel you guy's could be the face of the wizards because nick young is great nick only have coaching problems, they do not understand nick sweet game. And hate on that you bitter people.

Posted by: maejude | March 24, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse