Newcomer Jackson has Maryland ties

Wizards (21-52) at Hornets (35-40)

Wizards starters: Shaun Livingston, Mike Miller, Nick Young, Andray Blatche, Fabricio Oberto

Hornets: Chris Paul, Marcus Thompson, Morris Peterson, David West, Emeka Okafor

Line: Hornets by 9.5

Cedric Jackson was obviously thrilled that he got his third call-up - and second this month - from the Developmental League's Erie BayHawks this season, but to him, he couldn't have done much better than landing with the Wizards. Aside from the potential for more playing time, the Wizards actually provide him with something else that he couldn't get in previous NBA stints with Cleveland and San Antonio.

"All I was thinking about was my parents, because they've been wanting to see me play with the Cavs and Spurs and now I get the chance to go back home," said Jackson, whose parents, Bobby and Gwen, reside in Fort Washington, Md. "I was blessed. Hopefully they'll let me play."

Jackson grew up in New Jersey but his father settled in Maryland after retiring from the Air Force. He has spends part of his summers in the area and has played in the Kenner League. No matter how this season ends, Jackson said that he has already made plans to work out with District area natives Mike Sweetney, Roger Mason and Delonte West this summer.

"I'm around every now and then. It's pretty nice," Jackson.

With Randy Foye likely done for the season with a wrist injury, the Wizards needed a third point guard. Jackson, an undrafted rookie from Cleveland State, averaged 16.4 points and 7.4 assists in Erie, the D-League affiliate of the Cavaliers. He is more of a defensive-minded point guard, which was his primary focus in the minor leagues.

"The D-League is special. I didn't try to go in there and be the best scorer. I know that's not what teams need. I just wanted to be a solid point guard and get guys the ball and work on my defense and work on other opportunities," Jackson said. "I like to play defense and I like to put pressure on the defense and make easier shots for my teammates."

Jackson admitted that he was little dazed after waking up a 5 a.m. to catch a flight to New Orleans on Tuesday. And he immediately gets a test in the form of Chris Paul, who is playing his fifth game since returning from a left knee injury. But Jackson actually had the opportunity to work out with Paul and LeBron James over the summer in Cleveland. When his collegiate career ended, Jackson worked out with the Cavaliers and met Paul when James had a homecoming event in Akron.

"Playing with LeBron, I learned a lot. He has a real high IQ. Just watching him and the things that he does as a general on the floor," Jackson said. "I also learned from Chris Paul and how he changes speeds and different things that he does."

Coach Flip Saunders said Jackson -- the 24th player to suit up for the Wizards this season -- will likely get some playing time against New Orleans, with the team coming off a grueling loss in Houston the night before.

"I haven't really talked to the coaches about anything just yet," Jackson said. "If I get the opportunity to play tonight, I'll just do my job and get guys the ball where they need to go and just be aggressive and play defense because that's what I take pride in."

By Michael Lee  |  March 31, 2010; 7:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards to sign Cedric Jackson
Next: Livingston on ending streak, playing Chris Paul

Comments

I think Turner looks more "Pro ready" then Wall. My quess is they go 1-2 which is first would depend on the team.

But Wall is a true point guard with the quicks to get where ever he wants to go. In the no hand checking era of the NBA, those guys are at an extreme premium.

Put Wall on the floor with a couple of shooters, a lowpot threat like Blatche, a big that can run the floor like McGee and he's going find plenty of seems to get by his man and create.

My quess is given the opportunity, Flip would love to mold a guy like Wall and slide Gil over to concentrate more on scoring.

I still think they need help up front, but if they draw one of the first two picks it'll be Wall or Turner. Third, I'd take Favors...
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | March 31, 2010 5:18 PM

GM,

Do you really have faith that Flip is the man to do the job and mold a team as you indicate here?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 31, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Third Point Guard!?!
We have a one legged, 6'7" guy who's been out the league nearly 3 years. And a 5'3" guy who thinks he's Kobe.

Posted by: bozomoeman | March 31, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Funny bozomoeman. Would that make my count of one correct besides Jackson?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 31, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I've never seen a player consistently miss more bunnies than Miller.

Posted by: bozomoeman | March 31, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Players interested in keeping:

McGee
Blatche
Singleton
Thornton
Miller
Howard
Arenas
Livingston

Miller would like to re-sign at about 1/3 current salary, Howard at about 1/2 current salary. Singleton re-sign at around Obeto money.

Sign restricted free agent PG Kyle Lowry. Maybe work a sign and trade if needed with Young and/or Foye.

Draft DeMarcus Cousins and hire Alonzo Mourning as big man coach.

Use Cleveland's pick on Gani Lawal, DeSean Butler, or Trevor Booker. Use 2nd rounder on Greivis Vasquez.

C - Cousins
C - McGee
PF/C- Blatche
PF - Singleton
F - Thornton
F - Booker/Lawal/Butler
SF/SG- Miller
SG/SF- Howard
SG/PG- Arenas
SG - Ross
G - Vasquez
PG - Livingston
PG - Lowry

I'd be very happy with this lineup into next season.

Also please go back to Red White and Blue colors!

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 31, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Coaching staff of Flip with Cassell and Zo on staff would be solid. I really like Cassell as our future head coach.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 31, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Mistake above... Miller meant to say re-sign at 2/3 current salary. Sure it would take at least that, but would like to keep it around there.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 31, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

A good time to sub Jackson rather than Boykins.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 31, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

The Money Quarter. Lets see how long we go with money man Boykins.

His bank account has been overdrawn for sometime now.

Let's see if Flip has checked his balance statement.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 31, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Thank Goodness, Boykins is off the floor. Wiz lead quickly grows.

Posted by: bozomoeman | March 31, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Did McGee get tired again?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 31, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

NICK YOUNG has a BASKETBALL IQ OF NEGATIVE 406!

Posted by: rf2litenva | March 31, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Miller is not a keeper. No reason whatsover why he had to lose that ball. And why did we have to sub McGee after the timeout? Why?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 31, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

We knocked Jamison for being soft...but Blatche gets outrebounded by out SG...AGAIN.

I occasionally check the box scores and maybe it's just the ones I see...but he always underwhelms me with his rebounding numbers.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 31, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

is ny even in the game?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 31, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

andray blatche is a PLAYER. if you cant see that i dont know what you're watching

Posted by: divi3 | March 31, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Blatche is a player; Very talented but he didn't crash the boards at ALL tonight! He was caught on replay's on a number of times standing around when someone shot the ball. Just 1 Rebound in 38 minutes; He can play is A%% off but thats kinda pittyful in my eyes! just 1 rebound and you 7 feet tall! WOW...

Posted by: rf2litenva | March 31, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

WE WON, WE DID IT, WE WON WHOOOOOOOO

Only must win game left on the schedule are the Nets now.

Posted by: ATLredskin | March 31, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ATLredskin | March 31, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer Evan Turner...with Derrick Favors my 2nd choice.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 31, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Did some guy knock Mike Miller in the head and take his jersey? The box score said Miller led the team with 27, but I can't believe it was actually Mike Miller who did the scoring...

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | March 31, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Some of you people need to learn how to enjoy a win. They played really well tonight, except for that stretch near the end. I thought the ball movement and defensive rotations were very sharp, and Flip's substitutions were solid.

Posted by: djnnnou | March 31, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm almost a believer. He's looking a lot more relaxed since the blow up.

Posted by: djnnnou | March 31, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

the wizards will suck with a all star line up, they will still find a way to lose, so you can have what ever line up you want; and stay of nick young, you can tell that he hate being on the team, and I hope that he get a chance to leave, I am a big nick young with his IQ of 406 stupid.

Posted by: maejude | March 31, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

are you speaking in code?

Posted by: divi3 | March 31, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

are you speaking in code? LOL

Posted by: Theone9 | April 1, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Who here would like to have to perform the same work for 2/3 pay. Not me. MILLER's gone unless FLIP can convince him that the club is doing him a favor by cutting his pay 33%. Seeing as how he's 30, and on his last legs and all. He might buy that.

And I just can't see the brass making the same mistake they did with ARENAS where JOSH HOWARD is concerned. I predict they will not take a chance on his blown out knee at 11,750,000 million and they will NOT offer on their team option. Now re-signing him after the entire league has passed on him for half of that amount would be O.K., but the entire league won't. He's toast in a WIZARDS uni IMO of course.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse