No jail time for Arenas

From staff writer Paul Duggan at the D.C. Superior Courthouse:

Washington Wizards star guard Gilbert Arenas was spared a jail sentence Friday when a judge sentenced him to probation for bringing guns into the Verizon Center, ending a high-profile locker room confrontation with a teammate that changed the makeup up the team and Washington-area sports.

D.C. Superior Court Judge Robert B. Morin issued the sentence after a 100-minute hearing before a packed courtroom,

Morin sentenced Arenas to 18 months in jail, but suspended that part of the sentence. He ordered the star to serve two years probation to begin with 30 days in a halfway house, He also ordered Arenas to serve 400 hours of community service and pay a $5,000 contribution to a crime victim's fund.

Corrections officials will determine in the next few days what halfway house he will be assigned to. Once there, he will stay overnight, but be allowed to leave during the day to serve his community service.

Read the entire story here.

By Alexa Steele  |  March 26, 2010; 4:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Weigh in on Gilbert Arenas's sentence
Next: Statement from Brady Campaign

Comments

WHO SAW THIS COMING? GOOD NEWS

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 26, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

guess Gil was right, nothing to worry about so long as judge went by the real story...

Posted by: divi3 | March 26, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

30 days in a half way house...probation...$5,000 fine....400 hours of community service for bringing 4 guns to work...but 80 million in guaranteed money that he still due to be paid even as a second time offender...priceless...what a joke the law has become at times

Posted by: erron4 | March 26, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see it as I feel Gilbert was punished enough. Yes it was foolish, but we have all done foolish acts in our life. All you haters, remember... You were not put on this earth to judge. Instead of bashing someone, step back and look at your own life and worry about it.

I am looking forward to Gilvert back in a Wizards jersey soon enough!!!!

Posted by: RIP21ATRUEMAN | March 26, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Now he's officially a convicted felon -- guilty on a second charge of unlawful weapons possession... and by his own admission, responsible for bringing guns into the locker room and brandishing them at teammates. Still pending: the issue of whether Arena broke league rules prohibiting guns in the locker room.

With this conviction, we can now say it's time for the Wizards to void the joker's contract...

Also time for the league to hand down its own justice... perhaps something along the lines of a prohibition on playing anywhere in the league next season too?

Posted by: Vic1 | March 26, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

A Privileged Person Got A Privileged Sentence.

It's just so frustrating for African American people to always root for there own people as guilty as they are. Same with OJ, Plaxico, Chris Brown. He deserves another chance. He didn't do anything wrong. The MAN is out to get him. Please. Give me a break. African American people think they are getting back at the white man since they never got their 40 acres and a mule. Justice is justice. That is why poor, uneducated African Americans can not get ahead in life unless you can shuck and jive, hit a homerun, make baskets, or run faster than the rest. The D.C. Government is a joke. They need to put these monkeys behind bars.

Just don't ever think that if you commit the same crime you will be looking at the same outcome.

Keep this in mind the next time something happens to someone close to your lives.

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | March 26, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Two years probation ain't gonna void no contract.

Now, he so much as jaywalks, and he'll be wearing a number much bigger than "6".

Posted by: mabkhar | March 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I have money and I live in the USA that means I don't have to live by the same laws as the poor people in this country.

A friend of mine sent me these lyrics from Brad Paisley?

'Cause when you're a celebrity, it's adios reality.
You can act just like a fool;
People think you're cool just 'cause you're on TV.

When they say I've gone insane,
I'll blame it on the pain,
And the pressures that go with bein' a celebrity.

I'll get to cry to Barbara Walters,
When things don't go my way.
An' I'll get community service,
No matter which law I break.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

ElBigChroizo

It had nothing to do with race it's all about the $$$$$

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Trade him and Blatche as a package. Gilby is overpaid for his production, and Blatche is underpaid for his.

Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich, for example, could be had for the combination of Mugshot Zero and Mugshot 7.

Would the Bulls bite? Probably not, but you could always ask.

Posted by: mabkhar | March 26, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Stop whining haters. He had unloaded weapons. Probation is in line with everybody else's sentences in this town. People dont do jail for actually firing shots sometimes, so get off your high horses about special treatment etc.

Posted by: divi3 | March 26, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

mabkahr- Gil's price tag is $80,000,000.

He aint going nowhere.

Posted by: divi3 | March 26, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

perenial losers Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich? Both players are older that the player they'd be traded for not to mention neither is as good. kirk isn't a lead guard in this league anymore and Luol is running out of rope.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

WHO SAW THIS COMING? GOOD NEWS

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 26, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone whos lives in this country and watches the news?

I voted for Probation and community service even though he deserves some jail time.

In this country if you have enough money to hire a good lawyer you can get away with murder.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"What a travesty of justice! If you or me pull the same "joke" we are looking at 5 years minimum mandatory sentence. It's the same old news. if you are rich you can get away with anything you want. I will never understand why African Americans continue to laugh at the face of justice when they a celebrity clearly committed a crime. That's what no one wants to admit. African Americans root for there own to get off of serious charges. D.C. Government is a joke run by a council of monkeys. Gilbert deserves and should be in prison."

Speaking of jokes -- I nominate this post.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 26, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I have money and I live in the USA, that means I don't have to live by the same laws as the poor people in this country.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Bulletsfan78, give me a break. If you were poor and brought guns into the District it would be most likely to commit a crime. Also, you would not have offered to go in and talk to prosecutors and still keep the guns in your house to be found. You would still be on the run and wouldn't have to do 30 days in a halfway house.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | March 26, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Some people are only sated by blood. Arenas has been sentenced and it's time to move on. Wonder if Flip will be back next season...

Posted by: ArmChairQB | March 26, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | March 26, 2010 4:21 PM

Count me as one of the African americans cheering for one of their own. Its not because Gil is black its because the crime was victimless. He brought unloaded guns into an arena where no one was exposed to imminent danger. He should go to prison behind that? It wasnt a Burress incident it just seems like everyone was trying to turn it into one.

You also have some nerve trying to justify why African americans have problems getting ahead in this society. It may have something to do with how the media tried to make a goofball(Gil) into a gangsta and guys like Roethlisberger may be assaulting women with barely a mention.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 26, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

mabkhar

If Gil gets traded it will have to be to Houston, SA or Dallas since you are encouraged to carry guns in Texas?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

KingJoffeJoffer

You wouldn't happen to be from Zamunda would you?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Nice outcome... still a huge price to pay for his "crime"... 400 hours of community service is no joke... I might rather do 30 days.

Posted by: tony325 | March 26, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 4:52 PM

You know it.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 26, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

KingJoffeJoffer, Try bringing 4 guns to your job and tell your boss you're just joking around. Let us know the outcome. G'luck!

Posted by: demonj21 | March 26, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: demonj21 | March 26, 2010 5:01 PM

You are right. But I wouldnt be dumb enough to do something like that. We all dont want to admit it, but depending on what you do for a living you are treated differently than the average Joe. You cannot compare yourself to an athlete, politician or even a policeman. Its ridiculous. Just like when an athlete screams on his coach, people say if I would have talked to my boss like that I would have been fired. Of course you would be fired. The reality is we are all created equal, but depending on what you do or how much you are worth, our society assigns higher value to certain individuals. Bottom line, the crime was victimless and if Arenas screws up again thats his azz. Arenas has already lost a lot, sending him to jail for a few months wouldnt have done anything to deter crime. Now the wizards fans can go back to praying they end up with one of the top 2 picks in the draft.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 26, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

What is truly sickening is thinking about all the money and time and resources devoted to trying to lock up Arenas. If you really add it all up, we are talking MILLIONS of dollars wasted by our government in an attempt to lock up a man who committed a victimless crime, who has no history of violence, and who had already paid more dearly than anyone in history for this specific charge.

It's sickening. Hope the prosecutors realize there are better ways to further your career than victory in a headline-grabbing case.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

In the words of ELP: Ooooh, what a lucky man he was.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 26, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

All along, my only problem with Arenas getting suspended for the season and facing jail time was that other players who've done far worse, including actually endangering people's lives, got far less in the way of punishment.

I long ago stopped stressing over the fact that the rich and famous aren't subject to the same rules as everyone else. Welcome to America.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 26, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

You can't ask "try bringing guns to work and seeing what happens" and apply that same logic to what happened to Gil or other pro athletes. Their employment is based off a contract, CBA, they have unions, etc. Apples and oranges.

As for Gil's sentencing...the "does the punishment fit the crime" question is something that can be debated forever. I don't know the history of the rulings that deal with having unloaded weapons in DC, so I don't know if this is in line with what has happened to the avg. Joe. Obviously the more money you have the more resources you have at your disposal so you will have a greater chance of saving your @$$ from stuff like this. One can only hope Gil can mature and he can be a good citizen going forward. As for what he did, I think it was so severe that he doesn't deserve a chance to redeem himself.

Being a Wizards/Bullets fan, I only wish that the team can move forward and get the franchise on track. Now that new management is probably coming in the near future, this seems more likely. If Gil stays, I hope he learned from his mistakes and can help the team win. I hope management can sort all that out and make the right decision on whether or not Gil can be a part of this franchise. If he continues to be immature and make bad decisions as a Wizard, I will lose my faith in Gil, but I'll still root for my home team.

Posted by: feenoy | March 26, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"I will never understand why African Americans continue to laugh at the face of justice when they a celebrity clearly committed a crime. That's what no one wants to admit. African Americans root for there own to get off of serious charges. D.C. Government is a joke run by a council of monkeys."

The fact that you thought it would be acceptable to refer to a group of mostly African American politicians as "monkeys" goes a long way towards explaining why you don't understand African Americans.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 26, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Good call Kalo_rama. Thought that should be flagged too.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm pleased that Arenas did not get jail time, and I think it was a gutsy call for the judge to do what is right. The halfway house part is interesting. I wonder what that will be like?

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 26, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

One of the biggest misconceptions in crime and punishment is the theory that " an average joe wouldn't get of that easy"

Common folks get cases thrown out all the time. The jails are full and the priority is to put violent people away.

If Gil would have got a severe sentence I would not feel bad for those would have been the consequences of those actions. On the flip side,( no pun intended) those that get angry because they wanted a heavier sentence are fueled by jealousy and thats a sin in its own.

Some of these people have never been in that circumstance. They think NBA players are "Thugs". Any of us who live(d) in that envionment find that to be a complete joke! If you are not a REAL CRIMINAL, then one day in jail is too much.

I am on the fence with Gil. I hope he matures, but I want what helps the Wizards. I can't imagine a suitable trade. FOR NOW, play him and lets take it from there!

Posted by: gmac78 | March 26, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Here,Here gma78, I could not have said it better. I hope he stays a Wizard. I think the talent is still there with Gil and he needs to showcase it here. HE is the one that tore down the house so HE needs to be the one to bring it back from the brink. He wants to make it up to Pollin, well then do that by being the star and leading this team and by trying to get the championship Abe so desperately wanted before he died.

Posted by: ivyleague | March 27, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Thumbs up on the last 3 comments

Posted by: Barno1 | March 27, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

A double thumbs up on gmac78's and ivyleague's comments.

Posted by: grain1 | March 27, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse