Now that's Gee

Alonzo Gee signed a 10-day contract with the Wizards on March 7, but was so quiet and unassuming that two days later, James Singleton still had no idea Gee was his teammate. Singleton looked across the locker room stunned and confused as he saw a nameplate that read, "Gee 24."

Singleton knew of JaVale McGee, who sat in the locker room stall next to him.

"I'm looking like who's Gee?" Singleton said. "I didn't know who Gee was."

It's Gee. Not to be confused with McGee or Gee-Wiz. (Photo by Melissa Majchrzak/NBAE/Getty Images)

Gee [pronounced like the letter "G"] is an undrafted 6-foot-6 rookie forward out of Alabama who started the season with the Austin Toros of the NBA Developmental League. He may still be a relative unknown to most Wizards fans, but he is quickly making an impression on Coach Flip Saunders and his staff with his hustle and athleticism. After watching Gee score a career-high 10 points with three rebounds in just 15 minutes in Monday's blowout loss to the Utah Jazz, Saunders said that more might be in store for Gee.

"He's been good. We have to play him some more, who knows, he might start tomorrow, I don't know," Saunders said. "We've got to play him. He's playing hard, he creates and he competes."

In just four appearances this season, Gee is averaging 6.3 points and 2.8 rebounds and shooting 64.3 percent from the floor in just under 10 minutes a game. His player efficiency rating is 28.39. Now, Gee is getting his numbers in garbage time, when the result has already been determined, so the statistics are tad off. But to put that PER number in some perspective, LeBron James is the only player in the NBA above 28.

"It's a great feeling. I always dreamed of playing in the NBA and I'm going to do whatever it takes to stay," said Gee, a native of Riviera Beach, Fla. "I think it's a great opportunity, we got a young team and we're building."

Gee has an interesting distinction of dunking for his first NBA points. He grabbed an offensive rebound and made a vertical leap for a two-handed dunk against the Hawks. He later wowed his teammates -- and some fans at the Palace of Auburn Hills, Mich. -- with an impressive driving, two-handed dunk against the Pistons. And, he was given NBA.com Dunk of the Night honors for his jam against the Orlando Magic last Saturday.

"That's what I do. I'm a fastbreak player. Athletic. Dunks," Gee said. "I just try to come with some energy, play hard and have fun."

Singleton definitely knows who he is now. "No one really knows what he can do, but from practicing with him and in the few games I've seen him so far, he's extremely explosive and he could be a sleeper," Singleton said. "He's a cool dude and he's real quiet. "

"We got a new player," Singleton said. "You got new faces coming in the whole time. I was a new face. When I came with the Clippers nobody knew who I was. Cuttino Mobley was like, 'You with us? You signed? I didn't know" But once you get in, you got to make people notice you. You can't go through the motions in this game, or you'll get embarrassed."

Gee certainly isn't going through the motions right now.

By Michael Lee  |  March 16, 2010; 4:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jazz on the Wizards' blues
Next: Howard has knee surgery; Flip talks Billups

Comments

He had one NASTY flush on somebody this past weekend. I think it was the Orlando game.

Posted by: millineumman | March 16, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

This is a good strategy: Keep signing new 10-day players that no one can scout.

Seriously...No reason not to try out as many of these d-leaguers as we can for the nest 6 weeks or whatever. We may just find a great player that was overlooked. or not. No risk in trying it.

Posted by: Blurred | March 16, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Keep signing new 10-day players that no one can scoutand Ernie may just find a great player that was overlooked. or not. No risk in trying it.

Posted by: Blurred | March 16, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Blurred

Hasn't that been Ernie's plan since he got here?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 16, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Gee has shown hustle on both ends, a lot of athleticism, aggressiveness, and even decent touch on his jumper (the one or two of them I've seen).

Might as well give him a 2nd 10-day and see what he does with it. I'm already on the record as saying Ross doesn't need to play anymore this season.

Posted by: ts35 | March 16, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I saw Gee standing next to Nick Young and Young looked a couple of inches taller. If Young is six foot six as listed, then Gee is more like 6'4 or 6'5 which makes him a back court player so he better be able to shoot the three also or he is useless.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | March 16, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

That's right, play Gee. Let's see what he can do.

As for signing up Gee for another 10 day, I don't know. The Wizards are getting exposed every which way, but not so much at small forward.

I do think the Wizards need another big man. For one thing, McGee is doing all these crazy leaps and is taking some hard falls every game. It's risky to overplay McGee. We need McGee to get to the offseason weight program and workouts without losing time to injury.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 16, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

They keep bringing in guys for a role that NY is supposed to be filling.

Hmmmmm....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | March 16, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | March 16, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

FYI

Mar 16, 6:39 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) -Washington Wizards forward Josh Howard could miss the start of next season after having surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left knee.
Howard's operation was Tuesday in New York, and the Wizards said he is expected to make a full recovery in six to eight months.

Howard was injured in a game against the Chicago Bulls on Feb. 22, when he collided with an opponent. That was only his fourth game with Washington after coming over in a seven-player trade with the Dallas Mavericks on Feb. 13.

He had operations on his left ankle and left wrist last offseason. Howard was an All-Star in 2007, when he averaged 18.9 points in 70 games. He had his best season a year later, when he averaged 19.9 points.

Posted by: cannontl | March 16, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

"Looks like we need the big-dollar players to kick around. Apparently it's no fun picking on d-leaguers on 10 day contracts.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 16, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse "

Looks like we need wins more than anything else.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | March 16, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Gee got 10 rebounds against the Nuggets. OK with me if he stays another 10.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 16, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I say we keep Gee. He's playing hard with tons of energy. We finally have a solid rotation that can go 10 deep and I also like the way Coach Saunders is distributing playing time. I say we stick with what we have and screw the big name players. They'll only muddy the water with their big fat egos and we'll be right back where we started. (see Arenas)

Posted by: carterm1 | March 17, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Met Gee at the Ballers Bowl a week ago and he is quiet so I am glad to know that he showing off on the court and not in public. Go Gee !! Hope this works out for you because you do show good presense on the court.

Posted by: jvd1 | March 19, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse