Poll: Weigh in on Gilbert Arenas's sentence

This afternoon, Judge Robert E. Morin sentenced Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas to two years of supervised probation, 30 days in a halfway house and 400 hours of community service for carrying a pistol without a license. What do you think?

By Alexa Steele  |  March 26, 2010; 3:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arenas signs autograph while entering courthouse
Next: No jail time for Arenas

Comments

now thats great news.

Posted by: dlts20 | March 26, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Not knowing his fate for the past eight weeks was sentence enough. Lesson learned.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | March 26, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I have money and I live in the USA, that means I don't have to live by the same laws as the poor people in this country.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Gil will be playing pick up basketball in Le Droit Park this weekend.

Posted by: elfreako | March 26, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

^^^^@Bulletsfan78

Bingo....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I would have thought he would have gotten some JT because probation doesn't seem to have worked after the earlier gun-related offense. I'm also thinking that this eliminates any possibility of the Wizards trying to void his contract. Good news for Arenas, though, especially in light of him losing his mother, and any chance of reconciling with her.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 26, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

awesome!keep your nose clean Gilby. I doubt he'll be droppin deuces in the shoes of anybody over at Hope Village. It ain't hardly jail, but having to spend a month sleeping in a halfway house 45 mins away from your kids is gonna suck for him. the good thing is that he should be allowed to go to "work"everyday during normal working hours.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 26, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The sentence was basically what the prosecutor asked for without the jail time. They tend to be a-hole with their recommendations.

Gil got a second chance. He better not screw up now.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | March 26, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I've served on a DC jury considering a weapons possession case which involved one gun in a car trunk with no display of the gun, threats, or attempted cover-up not four guns in public with threats and a cover-up.

Arenas should have done at least a year per gun.

Money means never having to say you're sorry.

Posted by: davep1 | March 26, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to 980 and Andy and Steve have no idea what they are talking about and the people calling in have not watched a full Wizards game this season. I need to turn this off.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | March 26, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Bulletsfan78, give me a break. If you were poor and brought guns into the District it would be most likely to commit a crime. Also, you would not have offered to go in and talk to prosecutors and still keep the guns in your house to be found. You would still be on the run and wouldn't have to do 30 days in a halfway house.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | March 26, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 33dgriffin | March 26, 2010 4:35 PM

@bf78,

You gotta admit that was funny!

Posted by: ArmChairQB | March 26, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

It's good to be Gilbert Arenas!
$$$$$$$
1. He violated the law.
2. he had a prior conviction for the same offense.
3. he lied to investigators
4. He showed no remorse until he realized he was in trouble.
If the Wizards thought they had trouble controlling Gil before, wait until he gets back from this! Invincible!

Posted by: swinging4thefence | March 26, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

If I do a crime, would someone please get me Judge "I dont have to be as lenient as the prosecutor" Morin

Posted by: 1bmffwb | March 26, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The pampered athlete once again walks...it would be very interesting to see if this type of sentence is consistent with similar cases of illegal gun possession. At least in the Plaxico Burress case -- while not exactly the same since the gun was discharged -- the court had the courage to put a highly-visible athlete in jail for committing a crime.

Posted by: lance_dc7777 | March 26, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Why is the headline for this so small? Three plus months of buildup, tons of articles, and then it finally happens, and the WaPo sticks the story in the corner below some article that the Skins might or might not sign Terrell Owens? Look at ESPN NBA section by comparison. Weird.

Also, I think it's about the fame, not about the money. Gil can't disappear - like a normal felon. He is a public figure who's already undergone 10 times more scrutiny than the normal felon. Wasting all that taxpaper money and jail space during a nationwide jail crisis would be stupid. Plenty of people with super expensive lawyers go to jail all the time. It's just that here, there'd be no purpose.

Posted by: Urnesto | March 26, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I guess there's so much crime in DC that nobody cares any more.... if he'd tried that stunt in Virginia, it would have been a different story.

Posted by: Fairfaxresident3 | March 26, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

____________________________________

you're surprised? Seriously, when HAVE they known what they were talking about? I stopped listening to them long ago, show's a waste of time.

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 26, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Got bucks? -- you ain't doin' no stinkin' time!
Half the legislators are lawyers.

Posted by: kls1 | March 26, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Good call by the judge. Arenas was stupid, but nothing in press reports suggests that he acted maliciously or constitutes a danger to the community. Nice to see a judge who factors compassion and common sense into his sentencing, rather than trying to show the world what a "tough" guy he is.

Posted by: lydgate | March 26, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Pampered black athlete (wait, that's redundant)- pampered athlete walks!!! (Yawn)
That's not news!!!
Where is the outrage over the inequity of applying our Laws?!?!?!?!

Posted by: thornegp2626 | March 26, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert was right from the beginning the whole thing was a joke...well if your rich bringing four guns into dc is a joke...if it were me i would have recieved the whole three months jail time

Posted by: michaelejoseph | March 26, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

And the liberals who will praise this as a just sentense will scream the next time it happens and it happens to a regular person. They will demand jail time and more gun control laws. Celebrity status, just like drugs in California. This is a terrible way to do business. Either we enforce our gun laws or we do not. But one way or the other I do not want to hear one peep out of the DC community about gun control since they let this toad walk.

Posted by: staterighter | March 26, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

The truth is that this guy did something incredibly stupid. He felt he had to show off his street credentials, and he tried to do that. I am sure he has learnt his lesson, and I don't expect him to continue headlong in the path of stupidity that led him to have to face these charges.

He's going to be fine. I think so, anyway. I'm happy he didn't lose his life here, and he will continue to be a positive force in the world, both through his community service, and as a sportsman.

I hope he continues to serve his community when his sentence is over.

Good luck to him. No more screw-ups, please!

Posted by: jewishmother | March 26, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

2nd gun violation and NO JAIL TIME?

3rd violation he gets the key to the city.

Can't wait for the next B'Day party.

UFB

Posted by: Brat1 | March 26, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

He got special treatment. No way will you convince me otherwise. I'm a citizen, pay taxes and never had any record of wrongdoing, but if they caught me pointing four guns at people and threatening them in a city where gun possession itself is a crime, I would have had to serve jail time.

One wonders if his money bought more than just a great lawyer,...........

Posted by: realneil | March 26, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

This is a tough question to answer. I think the punishment he received for his actions was fair, but it was also much less harsh than the punishment an average person would receive for a similar offense. And in that sense, it's not fair.

Posted by: Tank2 | March 26, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone looking for GA to get jail time? How many criminals have had 3 months jail time and then walked to do it again. GA didn't "wave" the guns around or point them at anyone as someone in this post indicated. They weren't even loaded. Did he break the law...of course...is there a price to pay...of course. He's lost his salary for the rest of year (I know...he's already a millionaire), he has 400 hours of community service (I'd like to see most of you all do that in your entire lifetime) and he has to spend a month sleeping in a halfway house. All for a prank with unloaded guns gone bad. I'll bet Crittenden's gun was loaded, but he only got 1 year probation....and he was ready to use his gun on GA. How's that for justice. But you're right...someone who's poor and did exactly the same thing would have gotten jail time. That's the sentence I think would be unfair, not GAs.

Posted by: pig_skins | March 27, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

fortunately for Gil, no dogs were injured in his case. No dogs = no crime.

Posted by: ZeroHero0 | March 27, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

One thing that people are forgetting about Gil is his charity. If did his crime would you do more time? Probably but the average person does not care about those around themselves. So many people say if I were rich I would have a different set of rules. Your darn right you would, including new tax laws (money for city state and feds). You can't make that money behind bars. He did no damage to the community in his prank. Leave the man alone for goodness sake.

Posted by: kayoticwolf | March 28, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse