Wizards begin tough March with loss to Bucks

Morning brew

The Wizards fell to the red-hot Milwaukee Bucks last night, 100-87. In his postgame wrap-up, Michael Lee points out that a lack of scoring punch hurt the team most in Milwaukee. And he analyzed the matchup between JaVale McGee and Andrew Bogut.

Before the game, Lee shed more light on the challenging month ahead for Washington.

Here is a briefing from Bullets Forever.

Yesterday, Truth About It's Kyle Weidie looked at the Randy Foye Experience. And at CSNWashington.com, Mike Jones offered his take on Gilbert Arenas saying this week that he would have no problem returning to the Wizards.

Around the League ...

There were 12 games last night. Highlights are below, courtesy of NBA.com's Daily Zap:

By Alexa Steele  |  March 4, 2010; 11:46 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lack of scoring punch hurts in Milwaukee
Next: Jerry Stackhouse on his comeback, Gilbert Arenas and Josh Howard

Comments

Learning takes time.

Posted by: harrybalz | March 4, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

melodious_thunk

Come out come out wherever you are and please try to defend Ernie now?

Te Wizards have 2 players Al, Blatche, McGee (jury still out)that can play in the NBA (none of them All stars)if Ernie was a genuis don't you think there would be more NBA players on the roster then that?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

harrybalz

kal doesn't have any friends who he can talk too about sports?

They are all in their mid 40's living at home still playing dungeons and dragons like they did in high school?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 12:09 PM

You just admitted you don't even watch the games, so how do you know?

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"if Ernie was a genuis don't you think there would be more NBA players on the roster then that?"

I've repeatedly bashed EG on here, and he STILL tried to trade both of those guys if you remember correctly.

I'm gonna go the other way for giggles....

Nets maybe?

Grizzlies?

Certainly not the Lakers or Celtics.

It's hard to do because for whatever reason basketball is the hardest sport to judge talent in. It really is.

If I was Portland I would have chosen Durant in a heartbeat over Oden, but yet many people were willing to take a chance on a big man. I bet they wish they could have a "do over" also.

Again, I would NEVER want to play poker with EG. When it's comes to being shrewd, he's one of the best "traders" in the business. I'd take EG over most GM's from that standpoint.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 4, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan78,

You really should invest in a nice pillow so that your naps can be more effective.

Ernest Grunfeld took three guys who had never been all stars and, under his watchful eye, they became all stars and took the team to the playoffs for four straight years. He traded arguably the biggest bust in NBA history in Kwame Freaking Brown for Caron Butler (future all star), for crying out loud. So there you have it--a keen eye for up and coming NBA talent, a mark of genius if ever there was one.

It is widely known that it was not his idea to sign Jamison and Arenas to their current contracts. It should also be noted that when Ernest Grunfeld was free to make major changes to the roster after the passing of Abe Pollin (RIP) by jettisoning Jamison and Butler, he did so. Again, you cannot continue to try to have it both ways. He got rid of guys that you routinely called bums (despite their credentials) and did so without taking on onerous contracts. Give way and let the man continue his work.

In closing, I humbly submit that you should sing his praises daily (croaking, off-key voice and all) and do so with warmth in your heart!

Posted by: melodious_thunk | March 4, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

melodious_thunk

Here is one difference between us...

you are willing to settle for mediocre teams Ernie's version of one and done...

I am not willing to settle for anything less than a championship!

The NBA is not like the Olympics (where 2nd and 3rd place gets rewarded with a medal), only one team gets The Larry O'Brien NBA Championship Trophy and how many of those has Ernie brought to a team?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78:
"I am not willing to settle for anything less than a championship!"

Great! Aren't you out in California? Root for the Lakers and stop posting about a team you admit you don't see play.

Posted by: fansincebullets | March 4, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I am not willing to settle for anything less than a championship!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 12:59 PM

You will be very unhappy for a long time. By your measuring stick, 90% of the GMs in the NBA should be bounced out of the league, no questions asked.

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 4, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"I am not willing to settle for anything less than a championship!"

I prefer to just see my hometown team compete. If the wizards made the playoffs consistently like Utah and Denver occasionally getting into the conference finals i would be happy with that. Just sit back and be entertained thats all basketball is and why I watch basketball.

Posted by: jefferu | March 4, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fansincebullets | March 4, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

fansincebullets

If the Wizards were good maybe they would be on TNT once in a while so Wizards fans who don't live in DC could see them play?

I am in San Diego because I don't like the snow!

As a true fan I stick with the clubs I rooted for when I was still young and stupid enough to believe owners of clubs really cared about the fans.

I am a Texas Ranger fan because they were the Senators and they haven't won anything, luckily my grandparents lived in PA so I became a Steelers fan and get to experience what it's like to root for a real championship organization.

Ask Larry I root for the Terps basketball team.

I haven't been in DC since November but has Obama changed things that much that a person can't have an opinion if it's not what an organization wants it to be?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 4, 2010 1:18 PM

Your opinion is always negative. Not a peep out of you while Blatche is on a monstrous role that gets noticed nationally, but a bad loss to Milwaukee and here you are singing the "EG sucks" tune.

AB and JM are showing real promise and both are 7footers not yet 24yrs old. "True" fans of the team have got be encouraged about that!

Posted by: divi3 | March 4, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I was glad to see that everyone on the team got minutes last night -- even Mike Harris. That's healthy in terms of the team evaluating players.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 4, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

""but a bad loss to Milwaukee and here you are singing the "EG sucks" tune.""

Posted by: divi3

LOL. Don't get melodious_thunk started again about his singing voice.

Posted by: Firuz1 | March 4, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"Other then San Antonio, give me one team that has a roster filled with thier draft picks and not FA's who are mostly the starters??

Nets maybe?

Grizzlies?"

Posted by: rmcazz

Portland (Aldridge, Roy, Oden, Batum, Webster, Fernandez)
OKC (Durant, Green, Westbrook)
Atlanta (Smith, Horford, Williams)
Milwaukee (Bogut, Jennings, Ilyasova, Mbah a Moute)
Utah (Deron Williams, Millsap, Kirilenko, Matthews)
Chicago (Rose, Noah, Hinrich, Gibson, Deng - draft day trade)
Celtics (Pierce, Rondo, Perkins)
Miami (Wade, Beasley, Haslem, plus Chalmers)
Sacto (Evans, Hawes, Casspi, Greene, Thompson)

P.S. All of those teams are around .500 or better except for Sacto.

Point being, that teams that draft well are inevitably in a better position to make trades (like the Celtics having an Al Jefferson to give up in order to get KG) and not overpay FAs or their own players.

Posted by: ts35 | March 4, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

by the way kevi Durant is asking for extension ,he said maximum.
can OC do it?

Posted by: gtefferra | March 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

opinions opinions opinions, we all have them. Facts are facts however. The team is out of the playoffs and a lot of young players with energy are playing now at the end of a meaningless (another) seaon. A season of disaster! Why? Look no further than Ernie Grunfeld. End of story.

Posted by: horace1 | March 4, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse