Another loss, Arenas speaks

Morning brew

Last night Washington lost its eighth game in a row, 112-89, to the Utah Jazz. Shaun Livingston started in place of Randy Foye. And here is Michael Lee's postgame wrap-up.

Ross Siler of the Salt Lake Tribune talks about weird it was for the Jazz to face a depleted Wizards team lacking its three former all-stars.

In his much-discussed Esquire article, Gilbert Arenas gives his version of what happened the day guns were brought to the Verizon Center locker room and explains what he's learned.

Caron Butler writes a new blog post for Hoopshype, in which he says the trade to Dallas is "another good break" and compares playing with Gilbert Arenas to playing with Jason Kidd.

Around the league ...

There were six games last night. Highlights are below, courtesy of NBA.com:

By Alexa Steele  |  March 16, 2010; 10:59 AM ET
Categories:  Morning brew
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Livingston starts, gets immediate test
Next: Jazz on the Wizards' blues

Comments

i just dont see why we'd draft Cousins/Favors, especially cousins given the questions around his work ethic and attitude.

Does AB move to Center? Or do we draft them feeling they can play C? Or do we have the 2nd pick in the draft play 10mins/night like all our picks seem to do?

If Evan Turner is available, we gotta draft him!

Posted by: divi3
I agree to an extent. We need good guard play desperately. That's why I would want in this order;
1)Evan Turner
2)John Wall
Then I go;
3)Wes Johnson SF and still need to aquire a good uptempo pg

Then there is Cousins. I have the same doubt about him and his attitude, but I would consider him. I think he could play C in the league. He is smart at spacing ala Dejuan Blair to make up for height and jumping ablility.

This would all be ONLY if he had me very positive and confident after a few interviews.

Posted by: millineumman | March 16, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MeviousMan | March 16, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

i didnt realize til just now that wes johnson will be a 23yr old rookie...gotta look our for the "Thornton" syndrome. Kills it in college but is close to his ceiling already.

From the little I've seen of Cousins he beats up on guys smaller than him. Will that work in the pros? He's huge, so maybe, but you dont want a Fat Baby Davis with the 3rd pick in the draft.

but really, i dont see enough of these guys to have a strong opinion about where they rank

Posted by: divi3 | March 16, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

right now I'd go turner, wall, favors, cousins, johnson, monroe, collins, aldrich and that's kinda strange because even though I'd put all the bigs I wrote down in front of aldrich I think he'd be the best fit for the wiz

Posted by: bford1kb | March 16, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

guard play is key in the NCAA. You'lll ususally have a better read on the guards coming out than the bigs. A lot of teams have taken risks on "project" bigs because of upside and gotten burned, while others have lucked out on solid bigs that aren't the diff b/w winning and losing. Think of portland landing Aldridge later in the draft and coming up, then a coupla years later getting burned with Oden at with the no.1. Very few college programs truly work their O "inside-out" with their big as a focal point. We'll see more out of johnson,turner,butler,singler,scheyer etc. in the tourney than we will from cousins,favors,aldrich, and maybe even aminu. It's just the way the college game is now. Any of those bigs would be a considerable risk compared to the guards we like.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 16, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MeviousMan

I think quite a few players in this draft are very talented. Regarding J. Wall, there may be a hype about him but he has got GAME. He can handle the ball at high speed, get to the rack and find cutters. He may have that "It" factor.

As far as player that can turn the team around? I don't think reasonable people expect that. We just want to add talent to what little we have. I don't know why some think if you don't get a Lebron in the draft then it's a waste of time, meanwhile other teams add every year and we end up praising those teams for having a nice nucleus.

Posted by: millineumman | March 16, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

i do like the idea of a big goon C to share mins at the pivot with McGee. Aldrich is definitely that type of dude. We really missed the boat with Heavy D Blair in the second this year. I'd be thinking second round or second first rounder for a big if we had Blair, but now it's a more pressing issue, with the depth at frontcourt positions really thinning after about the middle of the 1st rd ( 15 picks in most if not all of the "good" bigs should be gone)

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 16, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: millineumman | March 16, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

John Wall has a pro game. he's being reigned in similar to how Rose was impressive with coach Cal at Mem, but really blossomed in the league. He'll be trouble in L though. I wouldn't sleep on him or lable him as all hype either.He can do what he wants with the ball, right now he wants to be a team player. In the L he's gonna want to be a star.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 16, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"I haven't seen any college player that is impressive enough to turn this team around. However, I haven't seen Evan Turner yet.

I have seen John Wall in 3 unremarkable games. Is he really as good as everyone thinks he is?"

Posted by: MeviousMan

Definitely don't think there are any LeBrons in this draft, and that's what it would take for one player to turn the Wiz around. A lot of people are over-the-top excited about Wall. I haven't seen him play enough to say. At worst though, I think he'll be another Derrick Rose, which is not a bad start.

I saw Evan Turner play a couple of times this year and I like his game. Tough play, athletic, good skills, good leadership. The Wiz could definitely use all of those characteristics if he's available. He's probably a better fit than Wall is if the Wiz are committed to playing Gil next year. Turner has the playmaking skills to take some of that pressure off of Gil, but he can also play off the ball.

After that, it's a crap shoot. There are some guys I would definitely pass on (like Ed Davis) but aside from that it's sort of dealer's choice after the top two. The criteria I would look for in any of their picks this year -- presuming a baseline level of bball talent: Athletic, Tough-Minded, Willing to Play D, and hopefully they display some maturity. Blatche, Young and McGee all have talent, but they also displayed immature attitudes, and Blatche excluded, still are to a degree.

Posted by: ts35 | March 16, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

i've only seen Kentucy play a few times this year, and neither Cousins nor Wall looked all that great. But maybe both are! Such a crapshoot.

I just think this team needs a 6'7" guard like Turner more than anything else

Posted by: divi3 | March 16, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

AB is the only surefire, high level nba starter on the roster (besides Gil)....so our top pick is make or break critical to the franchise

Posted by: divi3 | March 16, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The way I look at it, you judge a draft class this way:

1. how many players are good enough to come in and start for most of the teams in the lottery?
2. How many are good enough to get at least 20 minutes a game in their rookie year?
3. How many are developmental types with a high ceiling and not too many warts?

Still a lot of guesswork involved. But IMO this group is deeper than last year's...

Posted by: Samson151 | March 16, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

We need big men. Wall and Turner are nice but until we get a defensive interior presence, we'll continue to be doormats.

Posted by: original_mark | March 16, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

all day that samson! i think there could be 5-8 guys drafted in the lotto that could start wherever they end up.

My beef with cousins and favors is that they need the rock to be effective. Look at blairs senior year. He brought it to whoever lined up against him, most of the time "out-toughing" and outhustling them for rebs and easy buckets. He was a man amonst boys. I don't see that quality in favors or cousins, they're both kinda poseur-ish. A lot of bark, but more of a show dog than a working dog. We need pits and presas not poodles and pomerenians.whoever we pick must be the real deal.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 16, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"For someone who's parents both played basketball at a high level, he is remarkably unskilled."

How much did he play in high school? Looks like his Moms was playing internationally much of the time, who knows how much organized ball he played.

His lack of size and strength is really showing now, he cant get to or stay in the spots on the floor he wants. That's purely a function of his weight.

He also looks even more lost than normal, as if he's thinking about what he's been recently coached to do and halfway implementing it with what comes naturally. Ugly results.

But...did you see when he put the ball on the floor, drove past Okur, and dunked by him? It's not going to take much for him to successfully face up most of the league with a short J or an explosive drive. But it's going to take lots of coaching and touches to get there.

Posted by: divi3 | March 16, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

skip bayless on first take with the super mancruch on cousins. now i really don't like him. He does avg a double double. Maybe a beasley type w/out tha 3. Maturity issues and consistencey issues were highlighted along with work ethic and coachability.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 16, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

like somebody said, when you're pushing 280 college....Hot Plate redux???

Posted by: divi3 | March 16, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood

aint no pits or presarios at the top of the draft. maybe you can find one at the end of the first round with cleveland's pick.

Posted by: G-Man11 | March 16, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 16, 2010 12:49 PM

a pacquiao not a clottey

Posted by: divi3 | March 16, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Let McGhee play 40 minutes and then make that assesment.

Posted by: bobilly2 | March 16, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse
I'd like to see 30-35, but I get your point.

Now I know that McGee is getting handled 2 out of 3 games, but he is getting better. Give him an offseason to gain some weight and he will be much better next year. When I was 21/22, I could eat 5,000 calories a day and not gain a pound. And I sure as heck wasn't playing pro ball to work it off.

Even if it takes him til 2011-12 to be a top flight C in the NBA, he will still only be 24. His "bad night" last night was still better statistically than Haywoods career averages and MUCH better than his 2nd year averages, so I think he is on the right track. If he can be where Haywood is now in 2 years, we will still have his best years ahead of us.

I like Cousins based on one thing...those shoulders. I have seen how a big guy with shoulders like that can just dominate the middle...Ben Wallace, Ewing, Howard, Motumbo, Olajuwan, Oakley. Heck, even Lebron has those shoulders. they help you take up space and help you get to the line as much as they help you fight for rebounds and muscle in shots.

Now about that work ethic....

Posted by: Blurred | March 16, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"But...did you see when he put the ball on the floor, drove past Okur, and dunked by him?"

Taking Mehmet Okur off the dribble isn't likely to grease anyone's HOF entry. Okur is big, slow, and not especially agile.

"Even if it takes him til 2011-12 to be a top flight C in the NBA, he will still only be 24. His "bad night" last night was still better statistically than Haywoods career averages and MUCH better than his 2nd year averages, so I think he is on the right track."

As always, statistics aren't really a measuring stick of skill or quality.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 16, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I think he played 3 years of high school ball (granted for 3 different high schools). And 2 years of college. This from his Nevada bio:

High School
Attended Hales Franciscan High School in Chicago his senior year...earned second-team all-state honors as a senior...was an all-area and all-city honoree...was ranked the No. 6 player in Chicago by ChicagoHoops.com...helped Hales Franciscan to a 19-6 overall record, a 4-0 league mark and a No. 1 ranking in the city of Chicago...also attended a Detroit Country Day and Providence Christian HS in Michigan...averaged 22 points and 12 rebounds per game as a junior...was coached by Gary London at Hales Franciscan.

Plus, that's not really an excuse. Did he play that much less organized ball than Blatche did coming out of high school? Kobe travelled internationally as a youngster and somehow managed to pick up the game. Plus, if you're interested in basketball and you're traveling with your Mom, who is a professional basketball player, and the team, wouldn't you think he would have picked up some stuff just by hanging around?

"It's not going to take much for him to successfully face up most of the league with a short J or an explosive drive."

Except the part where he learns how to shoot that short J over bigs, learn how to face up in the post, and gets better with his drives. I think his offensive awkwardness doesn't have much to do with trying to implement what he's been coached, because no coach would advocate doing the things he's doing. Plus it all depends on how serious he is about working on it versus doing YouTube videos.

For one, he doesn't use his left at all. Even going left, he awkwardly tries to bring everything back to his right. And he's not explosive laterally, at least not now. His drives are more about using his long stride and long arms. Which is fine, he just needs to refine those and work hard on other options. With his height and leaping ability, a jump hook with either hand at full extension would be almost impossible to block.

My conclusion is that either a) he is inept a la Haywood or b) that he has never really worked on his game, instead getting by on being 7 feet and able to jump high. To have played at least 5 years of competitive hoops and not have more game is a little concerning.

You mentioned I think in an earlier post that if he had gone to Duke or another top school, he would have been a lottery pick. It begs the question, why was this kid, who is 7 feet and athletic, with a basketball pedigree on both sides of his family, and ranked #6 in Chicago playing at Nevada and not playing for one of the bigger schools?

Posted by: ts35 | March 16, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

i guess i'm not sure what you want from a 7footer drafted as a project. In my mind, once you draft a guy like that you are in for the long haul until he stops showing signs of developing. Mcgee has started what, 13 games in his so-called career? Last year was a waste, and so was this year until the trades. We're at square one!

Posted by: divi3 | March 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

oh, and i think the 10ft J is already there. He has a better stroke than any other part of his game, which really isnt saying much, but indicative of his Moms "learned the game outside-in" article.

Definitely has the yips at times, but watch the stroke, he can shoot

Posted by: divi3 | March 16, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

here's the #1 issue with Mcgee, from his draft profile:

"Listed at 237 pounds, the big man came into training weighing around the 228 pound mark. Since then, McGee has begun working diligently in terms of sculpting his body and improving his core strength. With his added 8 pounds of muscle, he now legitimately weighs 237 pounds and has body fat hovering around the 5.7% area according to Barnes."

228 pounds!! That is just silly, and the fact that he's probably right back at that weight or thereabouts is his biggest problem. 2yrs/20pounds of muscle later and you have a Beast.

long-winded point being...i just cant see drafting a big man with our first pick as addressing the team's biggest need

Posted by: divi3 | March 16, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Definitely has the yips at times, but watch the stroke, he can shoot

Posted by: divi3

Last year was a waste? I know they didn't play him, but they didn't even let him practice? Wow!

He has touch, certainly more than Haywood, but let's not go crazy with his J. I've seen him shoot it, but never as part of a face-up. The last one I saw him shoot at all (I think it was last night's game) he didn't have good form. His feet were split and he released the ball too low to use down low.

I grasp that he's a project, my line of questioning is directed more at wondering if he's willing to put in the work to get better. If you look at Haywood's draft sheet, it probably said a lot of the same things...7 footer, good shot blocker, will have to work on his offense in the pros. I don't know how much Haywood worked on it, but it didn't evolve much. Point being that I don't think it's a given that McGee gets that much better offensively than he is now. You can say it's possible, even likely, but it's not a given. Especially if he doesn't put in the work.

My concern is that if he was the type to work on his game, he would have been working on it already even before turning pro and his game would not be as rudimentary as it is. But who knows? Maybe he's been cranking in the gym putting up a couple of hundred jump hooks a day after practice. Just more random speculation in a season going not much of anywhere.

Posted by: ts35 | March 16, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse