Wizards sign Cartier Martin

The Washington Wizards have signed D-League guard-forward Cartier Martin to a 10-day contract.

From the team's news release:

Martin (6-7, 220 lbs.) averaged 17.3 points (including a season-high 37 points vs. Erie on March 6th), along with 4.5 rebounds per game in 31 games (27 starts) for the Iowa Energy. In 10 games for the NBA's Golden State Warriors this season, Martin averaged 9.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in 27.6 minutes per game. He has appeared in 43 career NBA games (three starts), including 33 games with the Charlotte Bobcats last season.
Martin will be in uniform tonight in Houston (8:30 pm on CSN+, 106.7 The Fan, and 1370 Sports Radio in Baltimore) and will wear uniform #20.

By Alexa Steele  |  March 30, 2010; 12:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nothing but a Gee thing
Next: Martin makes it 23, Saunders on Gee

Comments

Good luck Cartier, play well and you may get a contract offer.

From another team, that is.

Posted by: divi3 | March 30, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Washington: Where Golden State Warriors come to die.

Posted by: djnnnou | March 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

How about this boringfan78? You tell us what to do instead of talking about what wasn't done.

You know who is on the roster now and what kind of money we have and the approximate spot for the picks (somewhere from 1-5 and then the 29th or 30th and the 35th).

Show me the team you would make from this mess.

Posted by: Blurred | March 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Blurred,

First thing to do is fire Ernie and Flip and the rest of the staff.

Hire David Pendergraft from the Hawks as the GM and Mike Budenholzer from the Spurs as the head coach.

GA, AB, AT, NY, JM all under contract =28,036,764

I think the team is stuck with GA for this year.

I would like to see them resign Singleton and Livingston

A lot depends on where they draft I will give you worst case drafting at 4.

4th pick Favors if he is still there?

Sign free agent John Salmons a tall shooting guard

Sign Marcus Camby a great mentor for McGee

Late picks if on the board, I like Ebanks from West Virginia and Matt Bouldin 6’5” PG from Gonzaga.

That should put the Wizards at about 50,000,000 and a better “TEAM” then they started with this year.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Ebanks?

While i like what Ebanks contributes to the Eer's i don't think he's ready for the NBA. His ball handling is not good enough to play swingman and his body type isn't right to play in the post. Also, he can't shoot jumpers to save his life. I don't see him helping us anytime soon.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | March 30, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

McGuire is out – The Kings lost forward Dominic McGuire for the final eight games of the season because of a torn right plantar fascia in his foot sustained during the first quarter of Sunday's loss in Cleveland.

McGuire appeared in 10 games after being acquired in a trade from Washington on Feb. 18. He started the last two games.

After McGuire went down, the Kings had eight healthy players against the Cavaliers.

Posted by: SkinzFanzz | March 30, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 30, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Cartier turns out to be a diamond.

Posted by: RIP-21 | March 30, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow...I havent been around here in a while...still the same I see.

What happened to your mancrush on Geoff Petrie 78???

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 30, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Ricky Martin brings something to the table and isn't just a distraction because of his 'revelation'.

Ohhhh. CARTIER Martin.

Never mind.

Posted by: original_mark | March 30, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhh. CARTIER Martin.

Never mind.

Posted by: original_mark | March 30, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

original_mark

You just got kal excited for a second?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

First thing to do is fire Ernie and Flip and the rest of the staff.

GA, AB, AT, NY, JM all under contract =28,036,764

I think the team is stuck with GA for this year.

I would like to see them resign Singleton and Livingston

A lot depends on where they draft I will give you worst case drafting at 4.

4th pick Favors if he is still there?

Sign free agent John Salmons a tall shooting guard

Sign Marcus Camby a great mentor for McGee

Posted by: bulletsfan78

I don't particularly disagree with any individual part of it but

1) what are your plan B's if Salmons and / or Camby don't want to sign here. Oh and since you had to offer Salmons big bucks and at least 3 years to come here, if he doesnt mesh with Gil, then what? Plus what kind of deal do you give Camby? He's 36. Salmons is 30. With numbers akin to CB. Haven't you just put us right back where we were before the salary dump? Why is that a good plan?

2) You're bringing in a new coach with a new offensive system. Gil's coming back after a long layoff, and let's say he's still rusty, so he sometimes dominates the ball trying to get back his flow. And let's say that your "Big 3" of GA, Salmons and AB never really quite mesh. Let's also say that you lose Camby 4 games after you acquire him, and the team ends up well below .500. Do you fire Budenholzer for being an incompetent coach? Because that's essentially what you've already done to Flip.

Not being argumentative, just asking for more clarification on why your plan is a good one.

Posted by: ts35 | March 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"the only film i can find on youtube of cartier martin are of him getting thrown out of a game and him getting dunked on by andrew bogut. great find EG."

Yeah, because a 6' 7" SG/SF who gets dunked on by a 7 ft C playing possibly the best ball at the position behind Dwight Howard must, of course, suck, right?

Jesus.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

bogut is killing it these days, I'd be proud to get dunked on by him

Posted by: bford1kb | March 30, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Jesus.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

dunno if he sucks or not, but i do know that the only film i have been able to find on the kid is of him getting thrown out of a game and him getting dunked on by Bogut. get over yourself cuz everything isn't a debate.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 30, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

First thing to do is fire Ernie and Flip and the rest of the staff.

Posted by: horace1 | March 30, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"dunno if he sucks or not, but i do know that the only film i have been able to find on the kid is of him getting thrown out of a game and him getting dunked on by Bogut."

Which means what, exactly? Rhetorical question. It means nothing. Which means that posting and as setup to take a shot at Grunfeld is, of course, nonsense.

"get over yourself cuz everything isn't a debate."

You're right. For instance, it's not the least bit debatable that you're full of crap.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, because the only meaningful measure of a player's quality on court is how many highlights he has posted on youtube.

Jesus.

There. Feel better now?

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh my God!!! The Spurs signed Gee!!! Oh no!!! Ernie is the devil. And this is after they signed Roger "MJ" Mason, Jr. and DeJuan "Bill Russell" Blair. Life is over!!!!

Gee = Mitchell Butler, Larry Stewart, Dominic McGuire, Darvin Hamm, Tyrone Nesby, Aaron Williams, Awvee Storey, Donell Taylor, etc.

Those guys didn't exactly put us over the top. It's not what they call "a big deal" in the biz. In my opinion.

Posted by: Urnesto | March 30, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

ts35

The Wizards are stuck with GA which means they need a tall shooting guard who can play some "D", doesn't need to score a lot of points and can provide some leadership. Salmons will cost the Wizard some money but it’s only for 3 years and not at a max contract.

The only reason I like Camby is because he is a guy who relies on his shot blocking abilities more than his physical presence (like McGee) and it puts a vet on the front line with the young guys. I think Camby could be had for the MLE spot. Sure he could get hurt, but I don’t think the Wizards are ready to contend in the next couple of years anyway.

Flip has said on more than one occasion he didn’t sign up to be a teacher and a coach and has shown he doesn't have the mentality at this stage of his career to coach a young team.

I like the way the NFL goes out and signs young assistant coaches since today’s players seem to connect with them and from everything I’ve read about Budenholzer he is a player’s coach.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Jesus.

There. Feel better now?

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

unlike you and possibly EG i like to see a lil bit of game tape on guys we bring in, just so i know what to expect if and when they take the court. while having a variety of highlight clips on youtube might indicate someone capable of making highlight worthy plays, having a lack of film indicates just that, a lack of reviewable video content pertaining to bball featuring cartier martin. he could be the d leagues best kept secret. i was just letting people know that if they went to youtube , they'd only find a coupla clips that don't feature him doing anything noteworthy. i don't know why you got such a hard0nn when i mentioned this lack of cartier martin film but you should really slow down it's way early in the afternoon to pickin.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 30, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

'scuse me ".....to be pickin."

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 30, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Show me the team you would make from this mess.

Posted by: Blurred | March 30, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Blurred,

First thing to do is fire Ernie and Flip and the rest of the staff.

GA, AB, AT, NY, JM all under contract =28,036,764

I think the team is stuck with GA for this year.

I would like to see them resign Singleton and Livingston

A lot depends on where they draft I will give you worst case drafting at 4.

4th pick Favors if he is still there?

Sign free agent John Salmons a tall shooting guard

Sign Marcus Camby a great mentor for McGee

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Salman still have one more year to be a free agent.
We will have a big chance to win lotery.
I will pick evans turner if wall is taken.
evens will be the best immidate productive player from this years draft.If we pick him ,we just need an experianced center.
I like Mc , he is a very good center for defense, i will also go after Okor if he is still a free agent.He can contribute to both ends of the court.I will sign a point gard for our late 1st round pick and a defensive minded big man for secons round.
We also need to open our eye for a trade.
sign both livingston and singlton.I will either sign MM or jash howard when he come.

Posted by: gtefferra | March 30, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

What's with the Wiz signing someone we might actually have heard of?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 30, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Proposed Wiz lineup next season:

Alonzo Gee (signed back from Spurs)
Singleton
Nick Young
First round draft pick
Second round draft pick

Advantage: you could spend the whole season criticizing the coach for not getting more out of this very talented young team.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 30, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

ts35

I know kal's favorite game is "QUEEN FOR A DAY".

If you were the Wizards GM for a day (I understand a lot will depend on where the Wizards draft and who comes out) what direction would you like to see the Wizard take?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@78 Fair enough. But if you're signing Salmons and Camby, you're no longer really a young team. I think that quote of Flip is constantly taken out of context and I somewhat disagree with your assessment of his willingness to teach. Especially since you have to measure it against the willingness of our young players to learn. If you want to use that quote against Flip, I would measure it against the quote of AB's (I think, might have been Nick) where he said that the young guys expected to take over at some point and be the next Durant, Green and Westbrook. Maybe both sides don't have the right sense of themselves.

The argument against Salmons and Camby is that you've essentially resigned Caron and Haywood. And Camby might be had for MLE money, but for how many years? It's likely his last contract, so you have to figure he's looking for 3 or 4 years. I agree and have said that he's not a bad role model for McGee though because they have a similar body type.

From what I've seen and read, Salmons is an ok defender, but nothing special and I'm not sure how much leadership he can actually provide coming to his fifth team in as many years. Plus, he replicates Gil in a lot of ways, which can either work for the team in a Gil and Larry Hughes kind of way, or can work against the team if they don't develop a chemsitry. But if the Wiz are not going to be ready to compete for a few years, why sign Salmons? It might make you more competitive in the short run, but it doesn't help your long term prospects. I'd rather save the cap space and hope to get lucky in '11.

I would rather see them adopt the model that the Trailblazers took a few years back and just focus on acquiring and developing young talent.

Posted by: ts35 | March 30, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"i was just letting people know that if they went to youtube , they'd only find a coupla clips that don't feature him doing anything noteworthy."

And what were you "letting people know" by adding this at the end?

"great find EG."

You are so full of sh@t your pee is probably brown. You don't actually think anyone is buying that crap, do you?

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"Sure he could get hurt, but I don’t think the Wizards are ready to contend in the next couple of years anyway."

Please. Let's see how long that laissez faire attitude holds up if they do sign him to a full MLE deal and he ends up getting hurt and collecting a paycheck while sitting on the bench not contributing. History suggests that you're not quite as sanguine about that sort of thing as you're trying to pretend you are.

It's all moot, of course, because there's no way Camby signs here. if he can be had for the MLE, there are several actaul good teams who will be well ahead of D.C. in the queue for his services.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"Here are Ernie's 2nd round draft picks?
04 Peter John Ramos (a joke)
05 Andray Blatche (Ernie's only good draft pick in 5 years)
06 Vladimir Veremeenko (who)
07 Dominic McGuire (traded for cap space)
08 Traded to Boston for Ca$h (?)
09 Traded to Houston for Ca$h (?)
Why waste time and money developing young player when your GM can't draft any?
Posted by: bulletsfan78"

I dunno', but one potential All-Star starter, and one role player out of six picks in round two sounds pretty good to me. My second this year, either JEROME JORDAN 7'0" 245 C TULSA Sr., or GREIVIS VASQUEZ 6'6" 200 PG/SG MARYLAND Sr. IF the second pick from the KINGS materializes, I like OMAR SAMHEN 6'11" 265 ST. MARY'S Sr., or MALCOLM DELANEY 6'3" 180 PG/SG VIRGINIA TECH Jr., if he declares.

For our #4 pick I like DeMARCUS COUSINS 6'11" 285 C/PF KENTUCKY Fr. or DERRICK FAVORS 6'10" 245 PF GEORGIA TECH , and DA'SEAN BUTLER 6'7" 225 SF WEST VIRGINIA Sr., or NEMANJA BJELICA 6'10" 223 PF/SF SERBIA age 23 with the CAV's pick.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 30, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey, the Post ought to do a piece on that nice old lady that sows up the numbers and names on the new Wizards players game jersey's. I can see her now .. "WTF, another one? I just did four new ones last week".

Posted by: boblas | March 30, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

In terms of what I would like to see the Wiz do, 78, I think they have a golden opportunity between roster overhaul and ownership change for a franchise reboot. Whether EG and Flip are part of it, or even part of the early stages of it is up to Ted. When talking about FO people and coaches, I like to separate competence from direction. I think both EG and Flip are competent, I just don't always agree with the direction.

But anyway, I would like to see them work on creating an institutional and organizational philosophy first and work from there. Intelligence and diligence. For now the emphasis should be on the long-term. A lot of resources should be directed towards player scouting, domestically and internationally, and player development, including improving our use of the D-league to develop young players, the way the Spurs clearly are.

In terms of players, aside from a baseline of talent and athleticism, they should look for tough-minded, fundamentally sound, competitive, smart players.

In the short term, if they acquire any vets, it should definitely be vets who act as professionals, and it should be made clear that part of their duties are to help instruct whatever youngsters we have.

Aside from that, as I just said, I'd like to see them focus on stocking up on young talent as the Blazers did a few years ago, and then supplementing with FAs as needed.

As for playing style, in general, a tough defensive team, athletic, long, with good fundamentals in the halfcourt set. Maybe they just looked great against us, but I liked the way the Bucks and Jazz both played, except that I'm not a big fan of an overabundance of pick-and-roll. Every player on those teams looked for that one fundamentally sound extra pass to get a teammate a better look. Players should set solid screens, all over the floor, not just on the ball.

As a random aside, I'd like to have at least two players on the bench who they can bring in to turn a very solid normal defense into a stifling defense that takes teams out of their rhythm.

Posted by: ts35 | March 30, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"great find EG."

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

i'm allowed to insert my opinion into whatever statement i make. great find whether he is or not will be determined on the court. The only fact i was pointing out was that there wasn't much film on youtube.
My criticism of EG has more to do with his work as a GM than the players he brings in from the DLeague. The wiz scouted this kid and invited him to camp in '02, great find EG a kid you scouted and didn't draft 8 yrs ago.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 30, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"i'm allowed to insert my opinion into whatever statement i make. "

Yes you are. And when that opinion is laughably ignorant and based on nothing resembling logic or common sense (like implying, as you quite clearly were, that Martin (a player you admit to knowing nothing about) is a bad pickup because he got dunked on by Bogut and/or because he doesn't have enough highlights on youtube) that, I'm allowed to mock it.

Glad we cleared that up.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ts35 | March 30, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see the Wizards rebuild by developing young talent.

That's why I said get a GM like David Pendergraft from the Hawks because they've done a great job in the draft without the top pick.

I don't think there is a team out there that will trade for Gil so I like the idea of letting the front line of AB, McGee and AL mature together.

If the Wizards can get lucky and draft a guy like Turner than I would say go with the youth movement like OKC has.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

LOL, I didn't know highlights on YouTube were a scouting tool. I learn something new here everyday. To include, signing Camby and Salmons over the summer as good moves for this rebuilding franchise. What a f'ing joke! Laughable. Bulletsfan, I love when you show how clueless you are. The post from the last thread proved that EG has out drafted Clev, Bos, and LA over the last few years in the second round and then your gems in this thread. LMAO! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Your basketball IQ is lower than McGee's!

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 30, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

EDIT:

then I'm allowed to mock it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

"But hey, let's not talk about how you've been wrong about just about everything you said about this team since this time last year."

No, lets.

Let me see, what did I say . . .

--Signing Oberto would have no impact and that if he got PT it would mean the team was in trouble (while others were gushing about how he'd be a "veteran mentor" to McGee and Blatchee)

--This would likely be Haywood's final season with the Wiz

--That they had almost no chance of contending for a title, even if all of the parts clicked, and that the best case scenario was a bottom half playoff seed

--Boykins was not a true PG (even while multiple people were gushing over his acquisition before he'd even played a game)

--It was unlikely Arenas would get any jail time

Yeah, I was so wrong on all of that.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't say Flip couldn't teach. I think Flip has burned his bridge here and his actions have shown me he doesn't have a desire to teach."

Which, of course, is pure bs. He got into a beef with AB for the very reason that he was trying to coach him.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 30, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

"i'm allowed to insert my opinion into whatever statement i make. "

Glad we cleared that up.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

never said he was a bad pickup. do i question whether or not he's a good pickup, of course he's from the d league and i 've never seen him play. that's why i was blown to only see 2 youtube videos on the kid. I don't take this serious enough to get all hyped up by senseless back and forth. Martin will either prove himself to be a "good find" or not on the court, regardless of the number of youtube videos found.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 30, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Glad we cleared that up.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 30, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

not based on logic??????????Cartier martin was on nobody's NBA radar before we got him. He went undrafted, even by us after we worked him out. He is the last of what 3-4 Dleague guys brought in (i guess because he was so highly touted all year). In reality, at this point in the year any Dleague guy is gonna be a "great pick" by EG because if they're just signing 10 day deals than they're just bodies to take up space. You implying that Cartier martin will be anything more than a person who can be sarcastically referred to as a "great pick" is ignorant and lacks logic. Show me the last great pick up the wiz made form the d league, and then tell me how that turned out.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 30, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

rphilli721

Are you and kal twins because neither one of you are willing to look at WHY someone makes a post.

Instead you pick out a line and then criticize the person instead of the comment.

Try doing it like this...

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 30, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Clev, Bos and LA all have been top teams and their 2nd round picks have been towards the end of the draft?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 30, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

How did that stategy turn out?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

well we know it can't be EG's fault for putting the team together. And it can't be the coach's fault for not winning games so it must be .......................the players? you mean the ones that EG picked and the ones that Flip instructs. jeez it's a vicious cycle.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | March 30, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Billy Knight put together the Hawks roster.

Posted by: djnnnou | March 30, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

@Kal,

You also had Philly and Detroit being much better than they are. You thought BH would leave via free agency. And, I don't remember anyone "gushing" over signing Oberto. Just front court depth was all he was and is or was ever intended to be. Your GA prediction also flies in the face of precedent and the recommendations of the prosecutor. He absolutely should have gotten a month or two, but alas he escaped.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 30, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

ts35

You should send that to Ted and maybe it will become the Wizards new Mission statement.

The old one was "The buck stops in Abe's pocket"

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

"Ernie drafted AB and people think he is a genuis and if he was a good GM why have the Wizards been one of the worst teams in the NBA the last two years?"

Injuries primarily and a little gun incident this season. Remember those things? I love when you are so intellectually dishonest. Assuming you have intellect. You also fail to remember that the first few years of those second round picks we were picking late as well. I guess you forgot we went to the playoffs 4 straight seasons. But, hey, love your ideas of wasting our cap space on Salmons and Camby this summer! LMAO.

"How did that turn out"

Well, it turned out that AB still has some maturing to do and may not be a player we want on the roster going forward.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 30, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Billy Knight put together the Hawks roster.

Posted by: djnnnou | March 30, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I know Pendergraft wasn't the GM but I want a guy who comes from an organization who was built through the draft.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 30, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

"That's like saying why don't team draft guys like LeBron, Duncan, or Howard when they don't have the number 1 pick in the draft?"

Or, like you complaining that EG didn't draft a franchise type player with the 5th pick in this past year's weak draft. Or, like you complaining about other late first rounders when those picks are crap shoots and we had a roster already containing three all-stars. Yeah, your hypocrisy abounds.

Posted by: rphilli721 | March 30, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how Pendergraft qualifies as that guy. He's been with the Hawks for less than two years. And He and Sund were flat out awful in Seattle.

Posted by: djnnnou | March 30, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

So when are they going to sign

Rolex McGee
Timex Lewis
Movado Harris
Omega Johnson
Tag Heuer Braxton
Patek Smith
Breitling Jenkins
Ebel Wilbon

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | March 30, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

When you look at what good teams like Boston, the Lakers, and the Cavs have done with second round picks, seems to me they haven't done much better than the Wiz. Or worse in some respects. You can see why some teams treat second round choices like disposable razors.

San Antonio is another one of those Big Three clubs, like the Celts. They've always filled out the roster very intelligently with role players, but nobody ever pretended the Spurs won because of their supporting case. It's a race against time as their stars age and succumb to injury. They gambled and got lucky on Blair, but his medical status is well-documented and that's probably not something on which to hang your hat. Their other moves, such as the Richard Jefferson trade, haven't worked out as well.

Be interesting to see how the Spurs handle the next two or three seasons.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 30, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

there's a short video on the D League website featuring Cartier Martin as the latest call up. He's had a hot hand for 3 pointers this month, which with luck will continue with the Wizards.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | March 30, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

"......I don't hear anybody calling their GMs incompetent. Of course, I'm not reading their local blogs. Maybe they have fickle fans, too......."

Posted by: Samson151 | March 30, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Book it. I follow the HAWKS pretty closely, and NORTH CLYDE dogs the HAWKS coaching staff and GM every chance he gets.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 30, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

You guys are hilarious. Pure comedy.

Posted by: dcwizard | March 30, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

BTW, are the Wizards playing tonight?

Posted by: dcwizard | March 30, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse