Wizards' thoughts with Arenas

The Wizards won't be in Washington at 2:30 p.m, when Judge Robert E. Morin decides in D.C. Superior court whether suspended guard Gilbert Arenas will receive jail time or probation for felony gun possession. But Arenas won't be far from their thoughts as they prepare to play the Charlotte Bobcats.

It's judgment day. (AP Photo/Ann Heisenfelt)

Arenas claims to have made "a misguided effort to play a joke" on teammate Javaris Crittenton when he brought four guns to Verizon Center on Dec. 21. Prosecutors painted a much different picture in a scathing 61-page sentencing memo -- which broke down Arenas's attempts to cover up the incident -- and have already recommended that Arenas goes to jail for at least three months. Arenas's defense team has asked for leniency -- probation and community service -- given the three-time all-star's contributions to the community.

"I guess everyone is going to be on pins and needles kind of waiting to see," Coach Flip Saunders said. "Our thoughts are definitely with him. I wish I was back there today and could be over there. I think it would be nice to be there to give him some support."

Arenas lost his estranged mother, Mary Francis Robinson, earlier this month. He recently told those close to him in a text message that he would turn off his phone and soon people would be unable to reach him. But Nick Young said he spoke to Arenas on Monday and did his best to get Arenas to laugh.

"I was trying to keep his spirits up. It worked a little bit, but you could tell that it's in his head and he's worried about it," Young said. "It's a tough situation. Anything could happen. We're just praying for him, really."

The Wizards, currently on a franchise-record-tying 13-game losing streak, have gone 10-28 since Arenas received an indefinite suspension on Jan. 6. The team has hardly any resemblance to the one Arenas left behind, with the Wizards dealing away Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson before the trade deadline. While the Wizards have gotten used to not having Arenas around, Saunders said the transition has been difficult.

"I don't think we've ever moved on," he said. "When you have someone who was with you like that, you know he's still a part of you. You don't really move on. You still think about him a lot. There are many times I thought, from a basketball standpoint, 'What if we had him?' "

Saunders said he has stayed in contact with Arenas the past few months. "He's texted me a lot on the team and how it's doing, watching the games and those types of things," Saunders said. "I just told him that he's going to have to move on [from this incident].

"But this is him paying for something that he did," he said. "Like I've always said, every action has a consequence. Now we're going to find out what those consequences are. I think it's going to put closure on and helping him move forward and set his timetable on what he's going to have to do -- if he's going to have to do any time at all or what he ends up doing in the community."

Young said he's surprised that this day has arrived: "I forgot all about it for a little bit. I just hope for the best for him."

By Michael Lee  |  March 26, 2010; 1:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonsis closes in, Arenas reaches judgment day
Next: Arenas signs autograph while entering courthouse

Comments

That's a really d0uchey poll.

Posted by: djnnnou | March 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Probation and community service even though he deserves some jail time.

In this country if you have enough money to hire a good lawyer you can get away with murder.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

looks like i will be revisiting this site at 2:30

Posted by: jefferu | March 26, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to guess he gets the 3 months, but that he only ends up serving a portion of it, like 45 days.

Posted by: ts35 | March 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

You know, no matter what many may say or think about Gilbert, I in no way think that he meant any harm. Howeve, what he did was not only foolish but unlawful and unfortunately he has to pay the consequence. I like what Magic had to say about Gil and his situation and I read a good portion of the letters from people whose lives Gilbert touched and he really is a good young man. He just took a joke way to far. Whatever happens, I just hope he has some good people around him to his spirits up. He will just have to man up and get through this. As some of his team mates have said, he is in my prayers and I wish him the best. I hate he is going through this but maybe, just maybe, this will help him to grow both mentally and spirtually and come out on the other side okay.

Posted by: ivyleague | March 26, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

3-6 months.
With good behavior, he'll do 1.5-3 months.

Posted by: and_1 | March 26, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the first comment. This poll is in very poor taste.

I am hoping the judge has a little bit of common sense. If Gilbert does any jail time, it will be a total abuse of our court system.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the first comment. This poll is in very poor taste.

Posted by: Barno1

Some have argued that the real abuse of our court system was charging Arenas with only one felony instead of four (i.e., one for each gun). I personally don't care if he does one day or a thousand days.

Posted by: gimmedat | March 26, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Will he learn the lesson with out jail time?

Posted by: rockettonu | March 26, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Will he learn the lesson with out jail time?

Posted by: rockettonu | March 26, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

The real question may be will he learn if he gets jail time?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the first comment. This poll is in very poor taste.

Posted by: Barno1

This poll is in poor taste, but how would giving Gil jail time an abuse of the court system? Are you kidding me???? The fact he MAY NOT do jail time is ridiculous.

What do you think would happen to a non-famous person who brought a ton of illegal guns into a workplace?? He would be in serious trouble and do some serious time. Add the lack of remorse and joking manner in which he handled it afterwards and Gil is LUCKY to maybe only get 3 months.

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 26, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey rockettonu, I think already has. He has been publicly ridculed, lost tens of thousands of dollars and can't play basketball(which we all know is his life).

I am willing to bet, if he could rewind the clock and have a do over, we would not be sitting here discussing it right now because he would not have done those things. And I also agree with the other posters, this poll is not in good taste.

When you laugh, the world laughs with you, when you cry, you cry alone. When Gil was in his heyday, the media could not get enough of him. Loved him to death, now when he could use a bit of support, well, the poll above makes my point. Those who knew what kind of spirit he had, jumped on the beat up on Gil bandwagon and away they went.

Posted by: ivyleague | March 26, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 26, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Bro, no offense, but you're a moron. At least come up with your own arguments instead of copying the thousands of other people who have said the exact same thing: If you or I brought guns into the workplace...dir da dir da dir.

The ONLY reason Gilbert is facing these charges and the feds have devoted so many resources to him is SOLELY because he is famous.

Any other gun collector who had no history of violence whatsoever and had done as much for the community as Gilbert has done would get a slap on the wrist for the petty offense of bringing legally registered, unloaded guns, across state lines.

This case is ALL about a few prosecutors trying to make a name for themselves. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ivyleague

Lee's poll has nothing to do with support. People are voting as to what they think will happen in court today. The poll doesn't ask us what we hope his sentence will be.

Posted by: gimmedat | March 26, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Furthermore, I would argue this undeniable fact: No one in the history of this great country has ever paid a steeper price for bringing unloaded guns across state lines. He has already lost $57,000,000. Think about that for a second, as you continue to make the absolutely absurd argument that if you had done what he did you'd be in jail.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm a moron b/c I agree with other people's assessment of the situation??

And you should probably get your facts straight. You said he has no history of violence? I guess you don't care about his getting arrested 7 years ago on a gun charge. He's a repeat offender who made jokes about his situation b/c like many other ignorant professional athletes he thought he was untouchable.

I like Gil and I'm not saying throw the book at him, but I think some jail time like 3 months is appropriate.

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 26, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

if he gets more than 3months the prosecutors screwed him. That memo was way out of hand given the recommendation was 3 months

Posted by: divi3 | March 26, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

I wil say one more thing on this and then I'm gone--they could have charged Arenas with so much more. Obstruction of justice, tampering with evidence, four felony counts, etc., not to mention the fact that the hypothetical, law-abiding philanthropist to whom you compare Arenas more than likely does not have a prior gun conviction on his record. Arenas does. Further, if it were a mere "petty" offense, it would not carry the weight of a felony. Don't you get that?

Posted by: gimmedat | March 26, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm a moron b/c I agree with other people's assessment of the situation??

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 26, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes, you are a moron and you just illustrated it again. His "arrest 7 years ago on a gun charge" does not in any way, shape, or form indicate a "history of violence."

He is a GUN COLLECTOR you unbelievable idiot, not a violent criminal.

From Websters: "Violence is the expression of physical or verbal force against self or other, compelling action against one's will on pain of being hurt."

Please show me where Gilbert has a history of this.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Attentional All:

If you're an anti-gun, anti-2nd Amendment guy/girl, please at least make that clear when you attempt to use Gilbert Arenas to further your agenda.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The argument that he has lost all this money is one of the least intelligent I have ever heard.

All you are saying is that since he is rich and lost money, the criminal system shouldn't apply to him. So if you are rich do something illegal, if you lose a ton of money, the legal system should ignore your actions and feel sorry for you?

Ok, I am done arguing with this. Whatever happens, I wish Gilbert the best in the future and most importantly hope he learns from his actions.

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 26, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

No, that is not at all what I am saying but that's a pretty sweet straw man.

I am simply saying people should use a little common sense as they continue to pile on and demand he have the book thrown at him. My point is he has already paid the steepest price anyone in history has for his specific charge, when the bottom line is NO ONE GOT HURT.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Furthermore, there is a reason we treat unloaded gun charges much, much differently than we do with loaded guns. But unfortunately many of the anti-gun zealots do not consider there to be any difference between the two.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

He is a GUN COLLECTOR you unbelievable idiot, not a violent criminal.

Please show me where Gilbert has a history of this.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

You probably were there leading the fight to keep Plaxico Burress out of jail also!!..I'm only kidding.

Ok...I'm done arguing. We just have two different opinions which is perfectly fine

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 26, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how it's "Gilbert tried to cover it up" when he said...say you didn't have a gun, I'll take all the blame. Wish him the best of luck anyway.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 26, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Arenas lost $57,000,000. What happened to that money. I am curious, seriously, I am not trying to joke. Is this money that is just not paid to Arenas, or what? I am also thinking that if he loses this as salary, then I guess the Federal Government and Virginia must loose out on that tax money.

Posted by: Theone9 | March 26, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"The team has hardly any resemblance to the one Arenas left behind, with the Wizards dealing away Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson before the trade deadline."

It kinda just hit me seeing those names all in a row.

That was our starting 5 the year Arenas first got hurt. Those were the Wizards we were so high on at the midpoint of that season, before the gradual turned meteoric collapse.

Wow.

It's a sad day, thinking about those Wizards turning into what we have before us today.

Posted by: psps23 | March 26, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

What??? I never said the poll indicated suport, I said it was in bad taste. That is MY opinion.

Posted by: ivyleague | March 26, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Theone9 | March 26, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

The NBA actually gets the $7,000,000 from Arenas's Wizards salary and distributes it after the season to charity. The other $50,000,000 came in lost endorsement deals with Adidas and others.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Theone9 | March 26, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU

Wow. That is the definition of a cover up. How about when Arenas said that nothing happened between himself and Crittenton or that he brought the guns solely to keep them away from his kids?

Posted by: ArmChairQB | March 26, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 26, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I too was disgusted at the sentence Burress got, but his case was apples to oranges with Gilbert's. Considering Burress has an unregistered LOADED weapon in a public place that went off and did injury someone (him). Still, I thought the sentence was too harsh.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

and who's fault is it that Gil lost those endorsements?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | March 26, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

yeah what about the impact to the Washington Wizards franchise and surrounding businesses that live off of the franchise doing well. i'd have to believe that the financial impact to everyone else is larger than the impact to arenas. thoughts?

Posted by: thepinched | March 26, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

All of this is BS......i mean really think about it!! The prosecuters are trying to paint this horrible picture of Gilbert...that just clearly doesn't fit!! We all know he's a goofball and he did break the law...in which he should be punished for...with maybe probation or community service. After reading the written statements from prosecuters..i simply ask...If Gilbert is all that bad...and what he did was all that bad...then why in the hell are you recommending only 3 months. I mean if he's this "Thug on a mission' type of person...wouldn't you want him to get the max????

Posted by: chicoexcell | March 26, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

watch this video...a little girl comes up to arenas for an autograph as he is walking into the courthouse...despite everything he is facing...he stops to give it to her

free gilbert!

Posted by: jasonma1 | March 26, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert praying for you - good luck! Gilbert really was trying to keep Javaris from getting in trouble, maybe he felt guilty and didnt want him to get in trouble. That in itself shows that he's not a mean spirited person. He even stopped to give the little girl an autograph. Good luck Gilbert.

Posted by: washwiz | March 26, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Of course gilbert would give an autograph to a sweet little girl. His character isn't in question. Its his maturity and judgement that most people have a problem with. But I still want him to play here.

Posted by: jefferu | March 26, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm really looking forward to a pissed off Gilbert back in the line-up come next year!! Should be exciting....remember a few years ago when he had a few chips on his shoulders????

Posted by: chicoexcell | March 26, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Lock him up and throw away the key.

Think of hundreds and thousands of fans who paid millions of dollars in the expectation they might see some competive b-ball in this town this season...

Think of the unmitigated gall of a so called star playa who thinks he is somehow above the law...

that it is okay to brandish weapons at teammates...

despite an earlier weapons charge on his record...

as well as lie to investigating authorities...

and mock league rules and officials.

Lock him up and let him ROT.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 26, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | March 26, 2010 2:54 PM

So rich people shouldn't have to serve time because they lose income as a result of their misdeed?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 26, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"After reading the written statements from prosecuters..i simply ask...If Gilbert is all that bad...and what he did was all that bad...then why in the hell are you recommending only 3 months."

Because anything is possible when you take a case to the jury. With a high-profile athlete, prosecutors often take what they can get.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | March 26, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Probation! Must be nice to be a wealthy thug. He should have gotten 5 years-- any other person would have.

Posted by: Aimhigh2000 | March 26, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse