Arenas to serve sentence in Montgomery County

From metro reporter Dan Morse:

Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas will spend his month-long community service sentence at a nationally recognized facility in Montgomery County near the White Flint mall.

Arenas will arrive at the Montgomery County Pre-Release Center "in the not-too-distant future," said Arthur Wallenstein, director of the Montgomery Department of Correction and Rehabilitation. He wouldn't specify when, saying the department does not do so as a matter of policy for security reasons.

Read the rest of the story here.

By Camille Powell  |  April 3, 2010; 4:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: JaVale McGee on ninth consecutive home loss
Next: Ross is out but hopes to return this season

Comments

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 3, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh sooo, you think he might be getting rich man's treatment for his crime. Might be so. Glad to see it happening to a brother.

Thats like, unusual. Maybe change is afoot.

Gilbert Arenas, you hate him or you love him.

Hey BulletsFan78, you think he might be able to draw a smile from you next season?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 3, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Larry,

It's more about money than race.

I believe the fact that he got off with a slap on the wrist he now believes he is above the law and that is going to make his ego even bigger.

So...there are two ways Gil can make me smile next year 1)if he is playing for another team 2)if he finally changes his game.

Both very unlikely...I think 10 years from now people will be talking about Gil the same way they were talking about AI last the last couple of years.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 3, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

i keep reading if gilbert was a regular guy he would have been in jail..well javaris was as normal as they come and he had a load gun and walked...so let it go about the royal treatment crap...

Posted by: MrNoOne | April 3, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

gilbert has a better chance changing his game as u doing being positive bulletsfan78...real fans dont talk bad about there own team thats why i only watch college true fans there

Posted by: MrNoOne | April 3, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't fool yourself BF78 into thinking it is more about the money. Yeah, Gil would be rich, but all too often the color of the money means everything.

It could also be that Gilbert has built some solid bridges and the tomfoolery may be just a facade.

Time will tell though whether he is stubborn as AI, but for me, I know he isn't.

Gilbert knew in his heart that he had not done anything to be locked up for and he clearly could have been, but he came out and stated that he should not be and at the same time he accepted total blame for his misdeed.

That is not the actions of an irrational or an unreasonable person.

Trust me BulletsFan78, follow me on this one, Gilbert Areanas is going to be alright whether with or without the Wizards.

Bury the sword.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 3, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

one more thing BF87..why are u mad again..what did he actually do too u..i hate when athletes gets in trouble and the public gets mad like it cost them something...people need to grow up..u guys sit on website and talk about people like little kids..like u never made mistakes in your life the best part about us is nobody will ever find out...for give and keep it moving forward if u cant forgive people.. u have to much hate in ur heart anyway.

Posted by: MrNoOne | April 3, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh, by the way BulletsFan78, you do know that Capricorns by nature already have big egos. And the funny thing about it is, they know it, so there isn't any need for their egos to get any bigger cause they already know it's bigger than anybodyelse's.

If I didn't know any better and had to take a WAG (WildAssGuess) I'd think you were a Capricorn also.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 3, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

MrNoOne

I'm not angry...just because I write what I believe does that mean I can't be a fan?

Larry,

I hope I am wrong and Gil changes his game.

The Wizards have a young front line and they need a point guard who can get them the ball in the right position and they need someone who can strech the other teams "D".

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 3, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

78, did you catch my blog about Nick Young doing some film study on Phil Chenier?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 3, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

While this coaching staff attempts to make competitors out of Nick Young, Quinton Ross, Cartier Martin, Boykins and Miller, Alonzo Gee sits on San Antonio's Inactive roster.

I know I'm beating the proverbial dead horse, but I can't let that asinine move go.

After the trades, what Gee represented was exactly what this organization was supposed to be looking for. A diamond in the rough.

They found one possibly in Livingston, another possibility in Gee. No way the odds have them hit yet another player. Martin looks intimidated and it appears Flip prefers to watch "dribble and shoot" Boykins not run an offense than finding out if Cedric Jackson has any game.

Posted by: bozomoeman | April 4, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

"...what Gee represented was exactly what this organization was supposed to be looking for. A diamond in the rough.They found one possibly in Livingston, another possibility in Gee. No way the odds have them hit yet another player."Posted by: bozomoeman

Look, Gee was a nice player, the sort that a good team likes to have on its inactive list, just in case. Livingston is playing better than he did in OKC, etc., which has to make him feel better, but doesn't qualify as a longterm solution to the Wiz' PG problem. Cedric Jackson could start and play every minute of the remaining games and still not be much more than an end-of-the-bench sub.

We're going to be down for quite a while, I suspect.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 4, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that Arenas hasn't already done a week in the halfway house. Time is precious; he needs to get that part of it done.

As for the D League strategy, here is an example of what other teams are doing to lock up the rights of their prized D League projects:

I don't think the Wizards even have a D League strategy.

When to the Wizards play Golden State? That's one game I really want to see.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | April 4, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

We need three picks, one at the #5, one at #4, one at #3, and four FA's, two at #5,4, one at #2, and a great #1.

McGEE, pick, FA = #5
BLATCHE, SINGLETON, FA = #4
THORNTON, pick, ROSS = #3
ARENAS, FOYE, YOUNG, FA = #2
FA, SINGLETON = #1

HAPPY EASTER everyone.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 4, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

In regards to Alonzo Gee, I believe he may have made a tactical mistake by leaving the Wizards. If he would have stayed he would be starting for a NBA team and showcasing his abilities and would have possibly impressed enough that several teams would bid for his services.

Him on the in-active list in SA is not what he wanted I'm sure.

Only time will tell if it was the right decision.

Posted by: zxhoya | April 4, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Any word on whether Arenas is going to be able to work out to any extent while in the halfway house?

Meanwhile, the Suns just signed Dwayne Jones for the rest of the season.

I'll never understand why the Wizards didn't think they could use this guy.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | April 4, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Happy Easter to all: Just a note; today is the 42nd anniversary of the assasination of The Rev.Dr.Martin Luther King Jr. who gave his life for the cause of freedom and justice for all of mankind.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 4, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Before we even discuss roster moves,trades,free agent signings or anything else we need a new coach and gm otherwise this is a rudderless ship as it has been for the past two seasons.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 4, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

i wish I was still there. I used have a medical contract job in the three jails in montgomery county. He is going to be in the intake facility for maximum 48hours, it is going to be hard to stay there even for 2 hours, it is a real punishment.The prerelase facility is just like a home except he has to share room with few others, they have single rooms. He might get single room for security reason.he will be free to walk in the mall.
I hope he will learn some thing.

Posted by: gtefferra | April 4, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, the Suns just signed Dwayne Jones for the rest of the season.

I'll never understand why the Wizards didn't think they could use this guy.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | April 4, 2010 9:07 AM

I agree, here you have a 6'11' guy with NBA experience averaging over 15 rebounds a game, (D League so what) but we rather roll with Fabulous.

What that tells you though is that Flip does not want to waist time with young inexperienced players.

I shot from leftfield outa' nowhere that I would not be surprised that trading the 5th pick for Miller and Foye and not using our 2nd rounder had Flip's input and approval written all over it.

I don't think that Ernie Grunfield did all of that by himself. The way things are playing out, I really feel that Flip has no use for developing and using young inexperienced talent as a part what he thinks it takes to win in the NBA.

He has no choice now and he isn't doing a good job of it.

Flip's coaching style is not a good fit for how the NBA has evolved.

Like it or not, the NBA is largely influxed by 2nd/3rd year college players, talented but hugely inexperienced.

The teams that are not already established good team with seasoned veterans must successfully incoporate this green talent into their gameplan in order to be successful.

That is why coaching now at the NBA level is hugely more important than it has ever been.

Flip wanted a veteran team to coach and thats why we ended up with Oberto instead of a young talented big man short on NBA experience.

I know that even in the past young players were always mixed in to win championships and now it is even more crucial to have effective incoporation of inexperienced talent, because there numbers are a bigger part of NBA rosters now.

One huge difference though is that the young talent is less experienced as in the past, because they mostly had 4-years of college ball under there belts.

Coaches like Flip Saunders that don't know how to use or want young talent on there team will never win in the NBA now.

That is why I wanted Mark Jackson as the coach for he I am sure would have had no qualms about integrating young talent with the veterans.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 4, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The aforesaid is why I am hard on coaching.

Those that think coaching and organization isn't a huge factor in influencing and making successful players and young adults of the huge influx of players with one year of college experience are not being real.

Players like Young, McGee, Blatch, and many others around the NBA in todays game must learn on the fly on the court and off of it.

And I guarantee you that those coaches and organizations that have a huge say so and know that is also partly their responsibility to ensure and demand that these young talents develop appropriately on and off the floor will be much more successful that those coaches and organizations who don't.

There are these two isms' 1)Idealism 2)Realism.

There is no question in my mind that Flip Saunders is an Idealistic coach.

Enough said.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 4, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

D-league players are just that, D-league players. The best you could hope for from a D-league player is Miki Moore at best and he is mediocre at best. The Wizards are in transition now and the D-league players are "fill ins" and practice dummies. So, please get over them. You all are so enamored with them just because the Wizards are currently using their services. After the Wizards choose their draft picks and aquire some vets, you will see that all of this big deal over end of the bench D- league players was a waste of time. The Wizards will be okay with new management and the upcoming revamped roster.

Posted by: Theone9 | April 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't think bringing in any more D leaguers is a good idea.
Let's play who we have and see what they can do.
I like what I've seen from Livingston. Gee gave a lot of hustle but took away from Nicks PT. Bringing in a center will take away from Javale's PT. They gotta play to get better. We already wasted last season with those 2 and Blatche getting pine burns and we were wondering if they could play at this level. We see what Blatche grew into we'd a never known if wedda never made the trades.

Posted by: VBFan | April 4, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

VBFan: PLEASE!!! Gee took away from NY's playing time? hell to the no on that one Young sabotaged his own prospects concerning playing time with inconsistent play, when he was given oppoutunity's he failed in every aspect he should have stayed his behind at USC the full four years but like so many kids he chose chasing the dollar bill instead of a career.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 4, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse